Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    According to the guys at Worldwide Cycles, thereís a SRAM website that has all the forks by listed by serial number, they use the site to determine air shafts. But, it was wrong for the Pike 29+, so they called SRAM and got the correct part number.

The revised air shafts are common between Lyric and Pike, old air Shaft are Pike specific but you need to add 10mm more to compensate for the ďplusĒ.

The new air shaft is much better.
    NB,

I really appreciate the info.

Sounds like I canít blame them for installing the wrong part since SRAMís site listed the wrong part.

I am pissed that they did not return what they removed, Iím guessing someone saw Lyrik/Yari printed on it and decided it could not have been from my Pike (so they give me a spare Pike 29 120 mm air shaft instead?).

Iím going to call them tomorrow to see if they still have my old air shaft.

They upgraded travel on a Fox fork for me on my first mountain bike I bought some time ago...so I figured they could upgrade his one.
    Ď19 Trek Full Stache 8 29+
    Ď18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro
    '17 Specialized Enduro 29 S-Works Jaw Breaker

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    The shaft the LBS gave me back is marked Pike 29 120 mm...wonder how that could happen?

Also, here is the package...

Iím wondering if I should have someone else get the right part and redo it?

Anyone know what the difference is between the part the LBS installed vs the Lyric/Yari version?

Iím not gonna have that place do anything else...F@#K!

Thanks for posting the pic.

I can only assume that besides installing the wrong part, they did not give me the part they took out!

I initially gave them the serial number of the fork so they could order the correct part...
    From my experience, your bike shop is not in the wrong. The air shaft that came out of my fork on my Full Stache was also labelled as "Pike 29 120". It's to do with the fact it is a 29+ fork, not a standard 29 fork. To change my fork to 140 mm travel...we fitted a 130 mm Pike 29 shaft.
    Cheers Muz
    2019 Trek Full Stache
    2018 Pole Evolink 140
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russmu66 View Post
    From my experience, your bike shop is not in the wrong. The air shaft that came out of my fork on my Full Stache was also labelled as "Pike 29 120". It's to do with the fact it is a 29+ fork, not a standard 29 fork. To change my fork to 140 mm travel...we fitted a 130 mm Pike 29 shaft.
    Cheers Muz
    Ok, thanks, so SRAM must have used different air shafts on the pike 29+ depending on manufactured date...mine must be an older model without the newer Debonair air shaft.
    Ď18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Update: the 150mm upgrade felt great on the trails today. I was lapping my local lift acces Park so I had the Mino in low. Had the pressure at about 95# and didnít bottom out, even on big hits. Iíll probably back off an few #s. The bike handled great, but itíll take some getting used to, as Iím just not used to that much travel up front. Bike was great though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think the Full Stache deserves more fork, but just imagine another 10-15mm travel out back and a stiff swing arm!
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ben, you should have gotten a Lens... It sounds more your speed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Lenz suspensoin has a different feel, less progressive (?), not the sort of ride I want; I had a Fatillac, same suspension.

Most of the time I like how the F Stache rides, it's just flexy in that back end so if I hammer off jumps and do anything off angle on my landing, it get's loose. I get tire rub with a 2.6, so at my weight it's not a go big bike until the frame gets beefed up.

Sadly there are not many choices in this genre unless I go custom, so I'm having to step down to a frame that'll only take a 2.6, but maybe someday...

For most folks the F Stache will be fine. I certainly like the 150mm fork

Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Of course the Lenz has a great suspension feel and the Stache rear end doesn't flex!

But when you are a member of the bike of the month club these things get overlooked until they don't get overlooked!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey Rich, as I explained in my PM, I have blocked your posts.

If you continue to be ugly, I'll flag you for the administrators.

Try to be nice, it won't hurt you.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey Rich, as I explained in my PM, I have blocked your posts.

If you continue to be ugly, I'll flag you for the administrators.

Try to be nice, it won't hurt you.
    If you have him blocked...how are you replying to him?
    You never cease to amaze.....
    You gonna flag me too, Captain Butthurt?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Trek Full Stache.-e31.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Funny, Iíve had the Mayor blocked for a while... and heís the one to reply

The key to blocking folks is doing it before you respond back in kind and you gotta avoid readjng their blocked posts.

I got ten or so blocked posters, about half are from the ebike forum, no surprise there.

Still digging on the Full Stache, itís the only bike Iíve been riding since I bought it, probably got another month or two before the Smash arrives. Heading to Vancouver Island and BC next month.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    If you have him blocked...how are you replying to him?
    You never cease to amaze.....
    You gonna flag me too, Captain Butthurt?
    On Tapatalk it says the post is blocked, but then you can tap it to reveal it.

I have only a couple people blocked, but would occasionally read their posts anyway in case they said something useful.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    Of course the Lenz has a great suspension feel and the Stache rear end doesn't flex!

But when you are a member of the bike of the month club these things get overlooked until they don't get overlooked!
    Iīm on my Full Stache now for about 2 months and I cannot deny that I can feel a little bit of flex in the back, especially when itīs getting rough and really fast, even with 40 mm carbon rims. This little bit of flex doesnīt bother or worry me, it has no influence on the capabilities of the bike, but itīs noticeable and this is a fact, at least concerning my bike.

This week I will also receive my 150 mm dropper; Trek agreed to take the 125 mm back and send me a new one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Part of the flex has to be coming from the elevated stay on the drive side. Same with the Stache hardtail and how it doesn't always play well with single speeders.

The bottom bracket area takes some of the greatest stresses so when you take one of it's supporting members (the chainstay area) and move it up then you are reducing it's stiffness.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was able to keep my 125mm post until the 150mm post arrived, so maybe check with your LBS and see if they can do that.

The Trek post is not bad, gets kinda wiggly over time, probably not a post I'd buy if it didn't come with my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Geniusbiker View Post
    Iīm on my Full Stache now for about 2 months and I cannot deny that I can feel a little bit of flex in the back, especially when itīs getting rough and really fast, even with 40 mm carbon rims. This little bit of flex doesnīt bother or worry me, it has no influence on the capabilities of the bike, but itīs noticeable and this is a fact, at least concerning my bike.

This week I will also receive my 150 mm dropper; Trek agreed to take the 125 mm back and send me a new one.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    In case anyone with short legs (28Ē inseam) wants to run a 150 mm dropper on a medium FS:

The One Up Components 150 mm Dropper will fit...I can use the full travel without being too high.

I didnít think there was enough insertion depth on this frame, but the One Up 150 mm was only like 3 mm longer than the stock Bontrager 125 mm (from the bottom of collar to where the cable inserts).

I bought the One Up shims for $10 to shorten the travel (you can adjust/shorten the travel to whatever, like 145 mm or 140 mm), but I didnít need to use it.
    Ď18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have one of those posts sitting on my bench waiting for my new build. Looks like a nice post, inexpensive, adjustable, and so far the reviews are good.

Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    In case anyone with short legs (28Ē inseam) wants to run a 150 mm dropper on a medium FS:

The One Up Components 150 mm Dropper will fit...I can use the full travel without being too high.

I didnít think there was enough insertion depth on this frame, but the One Up 150 mm was only like 3 mm longer than the stock Bontrager 125 mm (from the bottom of collar to where the cable inserts).

I bought the One Up shims for $10 to shorten the travel (you can adjust/shorten the travel to whatever, like 145 mm or 140 mm), but I didnít need to use it.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anybody try a Yari at 140mm on their Full Stache build?

I was going to do a Pike at 130, but I've got a Yari on my hardtail stache and I really like the stiff 35mm sanctions.

Any thoughts apprecaited.

Based on other posts, it sounds like the frame can handle a small increase in fork travel and still maintain climbing and all day rideablity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    I was going to do a Pike at 130, but I've got a Yari on my hardtail stache and I really like the stiff 35mm sanctions.
    The Pike has 35mm stanchions.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The Pike and Yari both have 35mm stanchions. The Yari uses the chassis from the Lyrik. Thicker, stiffer, stronger tubing. More lateral and Axial rigidity.

Pike is lighter but not as strong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The Pike and Yari both have 35mm stanchions. The Yari uses the chassis from the Lyrik. Thicker, stiffer, stronger tubing. More lateral and Axial rigidity.

Pike is lighter but not as strong.
    Ok thanks for the info. That makes sense as the Yari looks stouter than the Pike. I've always assumed the Pike was 34.

Anybody have experience running the fork at 140 instead of 130 out of the gate?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I think NB is the only one who said they ran 140, everyone else went straight to 150. Imo, 150 is the way to go. 10mm is t really a lot for the effort it takes, why not just go 150 and be done?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I went straight to 150, did 25 miles on it so far so not much yet but feels really good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mikesee and I both ran 140, Mike started with 140, I transitioned from 130 to 140 to 150.

I like 150 best, but I also like a slacker HTA and I'm used to having more travel.

The Full STache has a low bb and low stack, so it benefts from a longer travel fork. The downside is higher SO.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    Ok thanks for the info. That makes sense as the Yari looks stouter than the Pike. I've always assumed the Pike was 34.

Anybody have experience running the fork at 140 instead of 130 out of the gate?
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerector View Post
    I think NB is the only one who said they ran 140, everyone else went straight to 150. Imo, 150 is the way to go. 10mm is t really a lot for the effort it takes, why not just go 150 and be done?
    Agreed. If I were starting with a bike that was complete and already had a 130, I'd feel confident enough to go 150 after riding it for a bit. Since I'm starting with the frame, I'm looking to play it a bit conservative and go with the 140.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Mikesee and I both ran 140, Mike started with 140, I transitioned from 130 to 140 to 150.

I like 150 best, but I also like a slacker HTA and I'm used to having more travel.

The Full STache has a low bb and low stack, so it benefts from a longer travel fork. The downside is higher SO.
    Ok good to know. I'm feeling like 140 is the sweet spot for me and where I'm riding, but, what's nice about the Yari is popping for a new 150 isn't going to break the bank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Darn. There is a great deal on one around here. I rented one and had this problem. Was hoping carbon wheels with 32 spokes would solve it. Sounds like not gonna work. Really want a 29+ all arounder. Who builds a bike like this without sorting the flex? I mean this bike is not built around light weight concerns. Stupid. So much sand where I live. Hmm back to the drawing board. Thanks for the post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Iíd get a Lenz if I was still in the market for 3Ē tires. Walt makes a good frame too, he is full custom, problem is these two builders get as much for a frame/shock as you spend on a Full Stache.

The better choice would be for Trek to admit they built a rubber band, revise the frame, and sell a ton of them! Mike warned me, but Iím stubborn.

Quote Originally Posted by xophere View Post
    Darn. There is a great deal on one around here. I rented one and had this problem. Was hoping carbon wheels with 32 spokes would solve it. Sounds like not gonna work. Really want a 29+ all arounder. Who builds a bike like this without sorting the flex? I mean this bike is not built around light weight concerns. Stupid. So much sand where I live. Hmm back to the drawing board. Thanks for the post.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ben and Xophere - about how much do you guys weigh? I rented a Full Stache last week on vacation and didn't have any noticeable flex/rub from the back end of the bike. I weigh around 170 out of the shower so probably 180-185 ready-to-ride.

I really loved the bike and would probably have one on order were it not for the PFBB and knock-block headset. Let's hope the second generation has a threaded BB and a curved down tube!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    How much of a problem is this "rubber band" rear end? Should I worry about it? I weigh around 198lbs fully equipped and I like to ride aggressively to some degree.

I have Full Stache on pre-order for end of summer delivery but this talks about flex are very much worrying now

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm 200# nakid.

I honestly didn't notice the flex at first, then I got a little chain buzz, then as I pushed harded and got more vertical I started getting chainstay rub.

It's a great bike, maybe flex is less of an issue because you're lighter...

As for the Knockblock, it's not that big of a deal, not that I like it, but it doesn't hurt my riding.

As for threaded bb or press fit, I's not as big of a deal as osme folks think, I get no noise from mine. You can get a threaded bb for a press fit, only costs another $25-50.

Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    Ben and Xophere - about how much do you guys weigh? I rented a Full Stache last week on vacation and didn't have any noticeable flex/rub from the back end of the bike. I weigh around 170 out of the shower so probably 180-185 ready-to-ride.

I really loved the bike and would probably have one on order were it not for the PFBB and knock-block headset. Let's hope the second generation has a threaded BB and a curved down tube!
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'm 200# nakid.

I honestly didn't notice the flex at first, then I got a little chain buzz, then as I pushed harded and got more vertical I started getting chainstay rub.

It's a great bike, maybe flex is less of an issue because you're lighter...

As for the Knockblock, it's not that big of a deal, not that I like it, but it doesn't hurt my riding.

As for threaded bb or press fit, I's not as big of a deal as osme folks think, I get no noise from mine. You can get a threaded bb for a press fit, only costs another $25-50.
    Maybe that's because you run 2.8" tires?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    I really doubt Trek will have threaded BB in next year. Anyway, PF can be replaced, as far as I remember Wheels MFG produces various pressfit to threaded conversion BB.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Oh snap! I see your reasoning: Because everything other than the frame are stiffer, it makes the frame stiffness more pronounced

When I swapped to narrower tires (2.6/2.8), the tire rub mostly disappeared except when I land akward off a drop.

All flexiness aside, it's a unique bike that has no peer. Take it with it's faults or break open the piggy bank and get a Lenz or Waltworks.

If I absolutely had to have 3" tires, it'd be a tough call; stay with the FS Stache or get a Lenz. I like Lenz quite a lot, but the Stache suspension rides better. Never rode a Waltworks, but Mikee likes it

Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    Maybe that's because you run 2.8" tires?
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    All flexiness aside, it's a unique bike that has no peer. Take it with it's faults or broke open the piggy bank and get a Lenz or Waltworks.

If I absolutely had to have 3" tires, it'd be a tough call, stay with the FS Stache or get a Lenz. I like Lenz quite a lot, but the Stache suspension rides better. Never rode a Waltworks, but Mikee likes it
    Very good point, I agree. I can't afford Lenz or Walt Works, especially when getting those here overseas and paying all taxes will add so much to the cost. Maybe some other day, when I am out of my misery

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What's your misery?

You could also buy a frame and build one up.

I'll be selling mine once my Smash is ready, but overseas shipping is $$

I don't think anyone has been disappointed by the Full Stache. I'm "kinda" picky, there's no bike in the history of the world that satisfied all of my wants

It's a nice package for the price.

Very good point, I agree. I can't afford Lenz or Walt Works, especially when getting those here overseas and paying all taxes will add so much to the cost. Maybe some other day, when I am out of my misery
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm about Ben's size and my PF92 on the Stache HT had been noise free, trouble free for a year now. I'd rather have threaded, but I'm fine with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben
    You could also buy a frame and build one up.
    Buying a frame was my first idea. But for some reason Trek doesn't supply frames here yet. I was told they will be available late autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben
    I'll be selling mine once my Smash is ready, but overseas shipping is $$
    Well, I need 17.5" frame but yours is 19.5" as far as I remember.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'm about Ben's size and my PF92 on the Stache HT had been noise free, trouble free for a year now. I'd rather have threaded, but I'm fine with it.
    Same here, trouble free year on Farley with PF121 and I ride a lot. PressFit BBs are often demonized a little bit more than they are in reality.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Same here, trouble free year on Farley with PF121 and I ride a lot. PressFit BBs are often demonized a little bit more than they are in reality.
    Maybe they've gotten better too. I know previous bikes that had PF BB's would always grind when standing to pedal, but my current bike doesn't.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup, size large.

The complete is not a bad deal, but tariffs, tax, and shipping would be more than for a frame.

Buying a frame was my first idea. But for some reason Trek doesn't supply frames here yet. I was told they will be available late autumn.

Well, I need 17.5" frame but yours is 19.5" as far as I remember.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I built my Full Stache frameset up w Enve M735's on Onyx hubs and 3" XR4's, 140mm Pike, Saints w 203/180mm rotors, Eagle GX w Twister, and thread-together PF BB shell.

I'm a 160lb XC rider and have noticed some flex in the back through hard corners, but certainly nothing which would have stopped me from buying the bike. I dunno if it was the 140mm, but it feels really slack coming from a Niner Rip 9 (and also much closer to the ground, glad I got alloy cranks!), so I immediately flipped the link from low to high, which makes it much more to my liking, though I need to do some adjusting, as I still feel like I'm leaning on the bars pretty hard. It rolls like a frickin' freight train and I certainly wouldn't spec lesser brakes than I did.

I had built 29+ wheels for my hardtail fatbike in the summer and fell in love - 29+ is great on a hardtail, as the tires take the bite off the terrain, but you get to keep all the efficiency of the frame - I felt like I was rolling through lightly rooted trails faster than ever. This? between the weight of the bike and losing the energy from both the suspension and the rolling resistance, it feels kinda like a triple whammy. Now, that said, despite being a lot of work, it's super fun to ride, and, since I'm not racing anymore, I absolutely love it as my day to day mountain bike. It's relaxing - you can pick and choose lines if you want to, or just yell screw it and roll right through the damn middle! I've also never had a bike which climbs this well - the suspension keeps those giant gnarly XR4's glued to the ground and I feel like there's almost nothing out there which could do a better job on technical ascents (as long as you have the muscle). So, in the end, I guess I would say it is what it is, and, given the lack of alternatives, I'm really happy Trek took a chance and made this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Good review... I'm jealous

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I saw this bike at the shop when I bought my Stache 7 a few weeks ago and it was definitely a serious bike but between all this flex talk and the hideous paint on the swing arm it's not working for me. I understand there can definitely be first generation bike bugs to work out and am quite sure Trek can and will do just that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The question I have is a carbon rear wheel (say a Bontrager Line 40 Pro) or a stiffer wheel that what comes stock going to make a noticeable difference? Iíve had the full stache for a couple of months now and this is my first full sus. Iím coming off a ROS 9, which I rode for 5 years and broke. I go through cheap hubs so Iím waiting for the stock hub to break. Iím a six footer and 190ish geared up. Love the bike so far but do notice the soft rear end. Just curious if I would notice an improvement with a stiffer rear wheel? Mikesee, since youíve ridden the bike and are an professional wheel builder I would love to hear your thoughts.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by 71 10-7 View Post
    Love the bike so far but do notice the soft rear end. Just curious if I would notice an improvement with a stiffer rear wheel? Mikesee, since youíve ridden the bike and are an professional wheel builder I would love to hear your thoughts.

Would need to know what your current wheel specifics are, as well as which tire, run at what pressure, to be able to guess at whether what you're feeling is wheel or frame related. And it'd be just that -- a guess. My pre-guess is that in this case you're noticing the frame, not the wheel. But I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Stock DŁroc 40, XR2 currently but same feeling when the XR4 was mounted. 14 to 16 psi. I do believe this is frame related per your guess. Other reviews have mentioned switching to a stiffer carbon wheel and that has helped but this doesnít make a lot of sense to me. I appreciate any feedback!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    The question I have is a carbon rear wheel (say a Bontrager Line 40 Pro) or a stiffer wheel that what comes stock going to make a noticeable difference? Iíve had the full stache for a couple of months now and this is my first full sus. Iím coming off a ROS 9, which I rode for 5 years and broke. I go through cheap hubs so Iím waiting for the stock hub to break. Iím a six footer and 190ish geared up. Love the bike so far but do notice the soft rear end. Just curious if I would notice an improvement with a stiffer rear wheel? Mikesee, since youíve ridden the bike and are an professional wheel builder I would love to hear your thoughts.
    Iīm also on 40 mm carbon rims. The little flex in the back is still noticeable. So I also think that it comes from the construction of the back. I long ago have getting used to this little bit of movement in the back. I doesnīt bother me at all an it has no negative influence on my riding or the capabilities of the bike. This little bit of flex should not be overvalued!

In the meantime I have changed from the Shimano XT breaks to the Magura MT7 breaks. The yellow color on the break levers and the rings of the pistons matches very well with the green in the back. Also, Õ was able to purchase one of the last available examples of a SQ-Lab 611 saddle in the limited Tibor Simai edition, that has the same yellow like the breaks. Now the bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I hear you on the flex, it doesnít seem to make a huge difference and by the time I notice it Iím through the terrain that caused it. No doubt this bike is under braked and this is high on the priority list for upgrades. I recently cleaned the pads and rotor on the front then completed the bed in per sram procedure, this has helped but I would still like to see more power. Thinking about saints or the 4 pot xtís for the front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    In the meantime I have changed from the Shimano XT breaks to the Magura MT7 breaks. The yellow color on the break levers and the rings of the pistons matches very well with the green in the back. Also, Õ was able to purchase one of the last available examples of a SQ-Lab 611 saddle in the limited Tibor Simai edition, that has the same yellow like the breaks. Now the bike is perfect!
    You seem to be very serious about the colors That SQ Lab carbon Tibor Simai saddle isn't cheap to say the least...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    You seem to be very serious about the colors That SQ Lab carbon Tibor Simai saddle isn't cheap to say the least...
    But worth the money!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Here are some pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Full Stache.-k1024_20180713_210747.jpg  

Trek Full Stache.-k1024_20180713_210715.jpg  

Trek Full Stache.-20180713_210907.jpg  

Trek Full Stache.-20180713_210814.jpg  

Trek Full Stache.-20180713_210801.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have the Line Pro 40 rims and currently just over 200 lbs, I don't feel the flex too much but I do have the tire hit the chain if I am on one of the first four cogs of the cassette.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Full Stache.-img_4102_zpszjb6ndzs.jpg  

2015 Scalpel Carbon Team/Eagle 1x12
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team #2
    2017 Stache 7
    2016 Boone RSL
    2016 CAAD 12

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thx for the info!

I don't see how a stiffer rear wheel can solve frame flex.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    How about the Farley EX? Sure it would be stiffer w the wider hubs and fits 4.0 and 29+!

The Farley EX was super fun with 27.5 x 4" tires. No frame flex detected, ever.

But 29 x 3" tires put the static BB height at ~14.5".

I *really* like high BB's, and even I thought that felt high.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hey guys can I get some input on this link. I really loved this bike but want some input on sounds and issues owners have been having. Im ready to pull the trigger.... But then this happened.............. Thanks. also im 270lbs 6 foot.

http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...s-1083861.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by v33sonata View Post
    Hey guys can I get some input on this link. I really loved this bike but want some input on sounds and issues owners have been having. Im ready to pull the trigger.... But then this happened.............. Thanks. also im 270lbs 6 foot.

Having my Full Stache 8 now in action since 3 months (riding it 3 to 4 times per week). No unusual sounds at all, no other issues.
    Last Friday I was able to break my personal time record with it on my hometrail. Best bike Iīve ever ridden!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've had mine since mid-May, haven't noticed any strange noises.

It grows on me more each time I ride it, took it along a lake shore today and had no problems tracking through mud and rolling on wet clay, the XR4 tires throw the mud off nicely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    270#?

Iíd steer away from this bike, youíre heavy and this bike has flexibility issues.

Take a look at the Fuel EX, itíll take 2.6-2.8 tires, itís lighter, and it wonít be a noodle.

Same suspension and geo, should feel similar.

Quote Originally Posted by v33sonata View Post

Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    270#?

Iíd steer away from this bike, youíre heavy and this bike has flexibility issues.

Take a look at the Fuel EX, itíll take 2.6-2.8 tires, itís lighter, and it wonít be a noodle.

Thanks,

I did ride the Fuel ex as well. I got some noises but that bike was a demo bike. Dint know the stache had flex issues. Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    270#?

Take a look at the Fuel EX, itÔŅĹll take 2.6-2.8 tires, itÔŅĹs lighter, and it wonÔŅĹt be a noodle.

2.6-2.8 Is that the range for the rear or 2.6 rear and 2.8 front? (Fox Rhythm 34 Float,
    on the comparable priced models)
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Trek Full Stache.-e3da9466-7ffd-48d0-95d9-dcc6e68a7155.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	E3DA9466-7FFD-48D0-95D9-DCC6E68A7155.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	1209550I have run a goma, mcfly, and rekon in the reAr of a 2017 fuel ex (Duroc 40 rims). The mcfly was tight, but worked - and put a few hundred miles on it in the rear. There is room to dish the wheel to make better fit. The rekon is 67mm and is good to go. Fork is also fine.

Not too much flex and I ride an xxl and am 225.

mtbr member
    Here are some pics...
    Purdy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Full Stache.-93353360-d0fb-4563-9312-5dea4fe1cf9a.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter McGavin View Post
    Purdy...
    ... well maintained (I would say)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Poorly crafted article. Reads more like a press-release with detailed overview of components rather than a review.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It's official, my Large Full Stache is for sale.

All original equipment. Wheels, tires, cranks, and cockpit have fewer than twenty miles use. Dropper upgraded to 150mm by Trek. Fork extended to 150mm with the upgraded air shaft (very smooth).

Extras:
    Three Stems (60, 50, 40)
    Three airshafts (130 original, 140, 150 installed)

Conditions is very good, no frame damage, though the paint has some scratches; Trek didn't use a very durable paint on this bike. Fork has some scratched on the legs, stanchions are perfect. QR levers have some scratches. Drivetrain is unblemished.

I paid full price ($3699) plus tax and had to pick it up (8hr drive each way), which is kinda how it works with Trek as they don't sell online and they don't ship.

I'm asking 75% of retail, buyer pays shipping and fees, all parts included as listed.

Serious inquiries only. Send me a PM with your phone # or email and I'll forward pics.

First dibs for folks reading this thread. I'll list the bike on Pinkbike this weekend.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well, that didn't last long in your stable. Dare I ask what is next?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    Well, that didn't last long in your stable. Dare I ask what is next?
    Whatever it is I'm sure it will be the best thing since sliced bread, for about a month

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Libikerdad View Post
    Whatever it is I'm sure it will be the best thing since sliced bread, for about a month

The sickness is real! Lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you care so much about the choices I make, you could probably figure out what Iím riding by looking at my signature

Isnít the internet an amazing platform for anonymous people to post ugliness about others?
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    If you care so much about the choices I make, you could probably figure out what Iím riding by looking at my signature

Isnít the internet an amazing platform for anonymous people to post ugliness about others?
    Please sell me the Extra-Medium Smash in a month. I asked first.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ben - no offense meant, I was just curious about what had your interest now - and was hoping you had thrown a leg over a Ripmo and some of the other new bikes and were willing to share.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lol,I used to suffer from this..

mtbr member
    May 2006

Buy what you want,ride what you want and sell what you don't want..No shade from me just keep riding..

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ainít happening and you know it. GG has it going on.

Donít you have a Pedalhead and a Trailpistol already?

Damn do I love that Pedalhead!

The Smash is almost open for business, had to get out this morning before the smoke got bad, so the PH got love while the Smash waited for brakes and drivetrain.

Tomorrow itís all coil, all the day!

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Please sell me the Extra-Medium Smash in a month. I asked first.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Donít you have a Pedalhead and a Trailpistol already?
    Nope. I only have one GG bike. No PH or TP in the garage sadly.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thatíd be a tough call, the Pedalhead is beyond great, itíd easily be an only bike if it werenít for those big boulders that get in my way

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Nope. I only have one GG bike. No PH or TP in the garage sadly.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    hey guys, just got a full stache for my wife, and will be putting on the line pro 40s to save her some weight. The line pros come with shimano drivers. Can I re-use the XD driver from the durocs when I switch her over to the line pros?

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos View Post
    hey guys, just got a full stache for my wife, and will be putting on the line pro 40s to save her some weight. The line pros come with shimano drivers. Can I re-use the XD driver from the durocs when I switch her over to the line pros?

Virtually guaranteed not to be compatible from the Ringle hub to the Bontrager.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hey all!

The Full Stache has caught my interest for my new bike! In theory it sounds like a great match for me that couldn't care less about KOM's, I just want to ride my bike and have fun! Also I rarely catch air, prefer to stay on the ground =)

The area where I ride has lots and lots of rocks and roots and is "hilly" (meaning relativly short and punchy climbs and descents), not one long climb and then long downhill.

I qualify in the clyde category so this flexy backend worries me... But you guys that experience it, when does this happen? Is it while railing berms at high speed? Or does it happen at even slow/medium speeds? Or maybe more when landing after catching air?

I will need to change wheels to something with 32 spokes and clyde-approved hub the first I do in any case.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos View Post
    Iīm riding my Full Stache with a custom builded, just over 1600 gr wheel set with carbon rims. Mounted the XR4s front and back and was really surprised that the benefit of the much lighter wheels wasnīt like I had expected. Then I switched to the XR2 on the back wheel and the result was: wow, what a difference in rolling resistance and acceleration.
    What I just would like to say is that you might have the same weight saving with going tubeless and the XR2 on the back wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    185 geared up. Notice the rear flex the most taking banked corners hard. Jumps and drops I donít notice any flex.

Bike is playful and fun. Easy to loft the front end and hop.

KOMís, maybe not on climbs but sheís a freight train down the straight chunk. Climbing traction is phenomenal though.

A proper set of wheels help a bit w the rear flex but not a total cure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    185 geared up. Notice the rear flex the most taking banked corners hard. Jumps and drops I donít notice any flex.

KOMís, maybe not on climbs but sheís a freight train down the straight chunk. Climbing traction is phenomenal though.

Iīm 176 and agree with that.
    And as soon as you have adjusted to that little bit of movement in the back it does not bother you at all. That little bit of flex is in my opinion no reason to not buy the Full Stache! The bike has so many other advantages that I do not care about sometimes noticing the back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What he said.

Flex is not a reason to avoid it, like all bikes, the Full Stache has it's pros and cons.

It's a fun bike for sure.

Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Iīm so happy with this bike!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Iīm so happy with this bike!
    Good for you. CF.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hi folks, new FS owner here. read most of this thread and yep also noticed the flex, but i'm ok with that, not a hard core rider. apart from weight any concerns about the stock rims/hubs? I mean 28 Hole rang a few alarm bells with me.
    but in real life, anyone had any durability issues?

cheers
    Steve

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Virtually guaranteed not to be compatible from the Ringle hub to the Bontrager.
    you were right, completely different...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That would be true but grinding the wheel against chain or chain stay is not really a good thing. I mean just in my opinion. I would have bought the bike otherwise. I found it unridable like having too big a tire on a frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just put 2.6 on my sentinal in the back. Clearance is ok on the seat stay bridge. Will run a Dirt Wizard in the front which is basically a 2.8. Right now it has a assegai 2.5. Thinking 2.8 front on a i35 and 2.6 back on same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My Full Stache has been sold.

Thanks for all the input on my sale
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 08-26-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Checking in on the Full Stacie experiment.. Iím about 300 miles in, with a lot of bike park laps in, and I cannot for the life of me get the flex out of the rear that you guys are describing. And Iím about 215# geared up. Iím pushing this thing as hard as I can, which to be sure isnít KOM speeds, but not TOO far off the pace, and I have yet to get chain or tire rub from the rear, just a lot of cuts, bumps, and a dislocated collarbone lol.

For what itís worth, this bike is simply a blast to ride. Whether itís at the bike park or on the local trails, itís a ton of fun. And it holds up. Iíve taken a few nasty spills, with no damage to the bike.

I buy bikes for the long haul, and Iím sure this bike will keep me happy to the next few years.
    - Trek Full Stache 8
    - YT Capra AL 27
    - Cannondale Trail SL2

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerector View Post
    Checking in on the Full Stacie experiment.. Iím about 300 miles in, with a lot of bike park laps in, and I cannot for the life of me get the flex out of the rear that you guys are describing. And Iím about 215# geared up. Iím pushing this thing as hard as I can, which to be sure isnít KOM speeds, but not TOO far off the pace, and I have yet to get chain or tire rub from the rear, just a lot of cuts, bumps, and a dislocated collarbone lol.

For what itís worth, this bike is simply a blast to ride. Whether itís at the bike park or on the local trails, itís a ton of fun. And it holds up. Iíve taken a few nasty spills, with no damage to the bike.

I buy bikes for the long haul, and Iím sure this bike will keep me happy to the next few years.
    Perhaps some samples are worse than others. I wouldn't buy a used one that was described by the seller as a "rubber band" though!
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Lol, I was thinking the same thing. I'm not too far from the one for sale up on Pinkbike and this bike is on my shortlist, but if some are lemons and others aren't then I would rather take my chances with the LBS

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTheHills View Post
    Lol, I was thinking the same thing. I'm not too far from the one for sale up on Pinkbike and this bike is on my shortlist, but if some are lemons and others aren't then I would rather take my chances with the LBS
    In my opinion a bike needs to be discounted at least 30 to 40 percent for me to consider used, in this specific case I would much rather pay the 400 bucks more for new to have the peace of mind of a warranty. Also I have never paid the actual msrp on a new bike either, but I have multiple bike shops in my area that are all competing for business

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    In my opinion a bike needs to be discounted at least 30 to 40 percent for me to consider used, in this specific case I would much rather pay the 400 bucks more for new to have the peace of mind of a warranty. Also I have never paid the actual msrp on a new bike either, but I have multiple bike shops in my area that are all competing for business
    Some people think just because they touched it, that it is worth more than full retail!
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    40% off for a used bike?

Wow, sounds like you're used to buying Motobecanes.

Price difference as it sits is closer to $800 plus extras, so 20% off on a bike that won't get discounted.

It's a fair price, you're just jealous cuz your wife won't let you buy a bike
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast