Surly Krampus - Page 24- Mtbr.com
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Results 4,601 to 4,759 of 4759

Thread: Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by loren90 View Post
    Curious to hear your opinion on the SQ lab bars. I've been thinking about swapping the stock salsa bars on my Krampus for the SQ 16degree sweep. I've been eying up the stooge bars too for awhile and might be worth waiting instead for those in July.

I had a pair of custom welded riser bars like the Sunrise bars but with 17degree sweep on my previous bike set up. I liked the geometry but man they were a boat anchor on the front!
    I was using 780mm wide Renthal Fatbars on my bike(s) before switching to the SQlabs 16s. The 16s put you hands in a more natural position and it took no time to adjust. They are a reasonable weight as well so going to something like the Surly Sunrise would add a heap of weight to the front of the bike which I am not overly keen on. I'm also not sure what the increase in stack height will do for the F/R weight balance of the bike. I guess one option is to run the chain stays longer with monkey nuts. If my steerer was longer I could experiment first before taking the plunge.

The Motos look very similar to the SQ16s. There were no weights for the Junker but given its 4130 I would assume it's a similar weight to the Sunrise. I guess there are other options (Oddity etc) but boy are they pricy and I would have to be happy with the geo first.

As usual too many options so I will probably stick with what I have got unless I can find a cheap set of Sunrise bars somewhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fartymarty View Post
    The Motos look very similar to the SQ16s.
    The backsweep is pretty comparable. The high rise SQ16 is lower than the rise in the Motos so that could be a pro/con depending what position you are after.

The more I ride the Motos the more I like the higher backsweep position. It seems to have really helped mitigate some forearm/elbow irritation I've been having on "normal" riser bars in the 7-8 deg backsweep range.

FWIW - I cut my Motos down to ~760-770mm.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have a couple of questions for the experts. What length stems do the latest medium and large Krampus come with stock?

Second, was there a change to the "new" Krampus after the first batch of bright red frames? I seem to recall reading something, and looking at a new purple Krampus, the top tube seemed skinnier, and the welds were more prominent than on my red one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    I have a couple of questions for the experts. What length stems do the latest medium and large Krampus come with stock?

Second, was there a change to the "new" Krampus after the first batch of bright red frames? I seem to recall reading something, and looking at a new purple Krampus, the top tube seemed skinnier, and the welds were more prominent than on my red one.

I believe the stock stem length was 80mm, though I could be off a tad. It was a bit on the long side by modern standards I remember. I swapped mine to a 60mm.

There is no change from the red to purple Krampii. Both are the latest gen, both kick ass, only they do so in different colors

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyFatStax View Post
    I believe the stock stem length was 80mm, though I could be off a tad. It was a bit on the long side by modern standards I remember. I swapped mine to a 60mm.

There is no change from the red to purple Krampii. Both are the latest gen, both kick ass, only they do so in different colors
    Stock stems are all 80mm. I swapped mine to a 50mm. Pretty sure the frames are the same and the purple looks cooler in person than in the photos. Although I think their new color scheme will be out this summer (running low on last year's purple currently).

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Stock stems are all 80mm. I swapped mine to a 50mm. Pretty sure the frames are the same and the purple looks cooler in person than in the photos. Although I think their new color scheme will be out this summer (running low on last year's purple currently).
    Thanks! I went to a Surly demo last weekend and rode a medium purple Krampus. I have a large red one. The bikes were set up similarly with 120mm forks (Yari on the demo, Magnum on mine), but the demo medium seemed a lot more "playful". Easier to wheelie and manual and pop over obstacles. When I got back on my bike with a 45mm stem, it felt a bit cramped, which surprised me a bit. I didn't think to check the stem length on the demo bike until after I left. I thought I saw that the stock bikes had 70mm stems, but that would have yielded same reach as my large with a 45mm stem. They must have had 80mm stems.

Anyone have a medium Krampus frame they want to sell? I love my "Andy's Apple Red", and hate to give that up, but the purple is OK.

mtbr member
    Built up my Bruiser Ego Purple today and play to get a shake down ride tomorrow.

Surly Krampus-bruiser-ego-krampus-6-29-2019.jpg

Surly Krampus-bruiser-ego-surly-krampus-6-29-2019.jpg

mtbr member
    Anyone ever put 2.5's on the Rabbit Holes? Need to change my riding style for a while. I have a set of Maxxis Grifters in 2.5. I know another on here about 2 to 3 years ago had them but not sure if they changed wheels or not.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Built up my Bruiser Ego Purple today and play to get a shake down ride tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bruiser ego Krampus 6 29 2019.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	1261131

Name:	Bruiser ego Surly Krampus 6 29 2019.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	1261133
    From their look i could use 2 bars like that.
    May i have details, rise ? mm, link?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Thanks
    https://answerproducts.com/product/aluminum/

mtbr member

Rack off

Hey all, I have the OG 2012 Krampus and I'm keen for the rear surly rack. All the pics of the rack show two struts connecting to the seatstays via two horizontally aligned bolts. My Krampus only has the one bolt in the centre of the seatstay bridge. Does anyone know whether it'll be compatible?
    Many thanks.

turtles make me hot
    PSA... I just got a Rockshox Yari for my bike for 449 from the bike shop. Seems Rockshox has lots of them and they're on sale.
    I called up to order a Pike and they were out. Pikes were 880 and I was just gonna bite the bullet and get it. My friend from the shop suddenly said WOW! Yaris are on super sale. Get that and later on we can mod it to basically make it a Pike. Costs 100 bucks.
    I have it, gorgeous fork. Waiting for the brake adapter to show up and I'll post a pic on the bike. Can't wait to try it.
    I like turtles

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    PSA... I just got a Rockshox Yari for my bike for 449 from the bike shop. Seems Rockshox has lots of them and they're on sale.
    I called up to order a Pike and they were out. Pikes were 880 and I was just gonna bite the bullet and get it. My friend from the shop suddenly said WOW! Yaris are on super sale. Get that and later on we can mod it to basically make it a Pike. Costs 100 bucks.
    I have it, gorgeous fork. Waiting for the brake adapter to show up and I'll post a pic on the bike. Can't wait to try it.
    UGH, sold out. Why didn't you post this 3 days ago??

BTW the Yari shares the same chassis as the Lyric. A damper swap makes it a Super Yari (Lyric). Should be a sweet fork! Too bad we all missed out on that super sale.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    UGH, sold out. Why didn't you post this 3 days ago??

BTW the Yari shares the same chassis as the Lyric. A damper swap makes it a Super Yari (Lyric). Should be a sweet fork! Too bad we all missed out on that super sale.
    Crap. Really? I KNEW I should have ordered another one for my son.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Surly Krampus-yari.jpg
    Surly Krampus-yari3.jpg

Transformed the bike. I loved it rigid. This is just excellent. That's a 3 1/4" tire in there. Plenty of room.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRIC_YETI View Post
    Anyone ever put 2.5's on the Rabbit Holes? Need to change my riding style for a while. I have a set of Maxxis Grifters in 2.5. I know another on here about 2 to 3 years ago had them but not sure if they changed wheels or not.

Sorry for slow reply, and I haven't done "exactly" what you are asking, but here is some input anyway. I previously ran 2.4's on Velocity Dually's, so a touch narrower in both regards to your question. But I personally really liked it, and I know Jeff Jones has steered many people that way as well. However, it does square off the tire profile a lot, so if you are a really aggressive rider, or the side knobs on the tires get too flattened out, they may not be the best for you.
    They work for me, because I tend to do XC/high alpine trails, but not downhill/flow/aggro focused riding. They gave great contact patch for the size, but I'm sure if I pushed harder into corners they wouldn't have faired so well.
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    Ain't no side knobs on these

mtbr member
    I do appreciate the info though. I'll get back to regular eventually. Recovery is slow.

Jil
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi,
    here is my Surly "slightly" modified, for gravel and road use, with Surly Extraterrestrial 2.5" tires, Bafang G310 hub motor (Grin Tech kit) and 1000 Wh home made battery.

This ebike is wonderful

One question : is it possible to install a front chainring with more than 36 teeths ? I would like to have at least 38, if possible 40 teeths, but for this I need to offset the chainring, I don't know how to do it, and what to install.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-capture-d%92e-cran-2019-08-02-15.00.54.jpg  

Surly Krampus-capture-d%92e-cran-2019-08-02-15.09.32.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Lets talk Krampus skilz...

How do you guys find this thing is to manual?

I know the stays could be a tad shorter, but it's a wheelie machine in my experience (XL). I'm crap at manuals but trying to learn and don't think I should be able to blame the bike, right? Anyone able to cruise long manuals on this thing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The backsweep is pretty comparable. The high rise SQ16 is lower than the rise in the Motos so that could be a pro/con depending what position you are after.

The more I ride the Motos the more I like the higher backsweep position. It seems to have really helped mitigate some forearm/elbow irritation I've been having on "normal" riser bars in the 7-8 deg backsweep range.

FWIW - I cut my Motos down to ~760-770mm.
    Vik - I ended up getting a pair of Surly Sunrise bars for my Krampus. The backsweep (17 degrees) is similar to the SQlabs (16 degrees) that they replaced. I ended up cutting them down from 820 to 780mm so they are the same as my SQ labs on the Murmur. I had my first ride on the weekend and they felt really good. The front didn't seem to light when pushing hard into corners. I didn't seem to notice the front lifting too much on climbs either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I ended up doing some good wheelies (for me - about 20 pedals) last weekend.

I'm rubbish at manuals and need to practice more.

mtbr member
    As for manuals, mine is a large and probably should have been a medium, I'm not very good at it anyway but I am running a really short riser stem and still have some trouble with it. Thinking I might switch to a 0 rise and get the Sunrise bars to see if it helps. Although in the process of moving to the East side of Houston and no idea what the riding will be there. So it it may stay the same.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    The new Krampus is due out this month or next. Any bets or predictions on color options?

I'd personally like to see a navy blue or battleship grey. Better yet, maybe a copper or rusty orange.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Is the geo new or just the colour?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Curious about this myself! If they lengthen the reach or shorten the chainstays I may need a new frame...
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    My guess is just a new color.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have a suspicion that geo will change.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by SSsteel4life View Post
    What's with this winky face? What do you know? Common, spill the beans!!

(PM if necessary)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Uh, yea pm me too!!

WNC Native
    What's with this winky face? What do you know? Common, spill the beans!!

(PM if necessary)
    me too! me too!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member

I got my Krampus back in 2013 and have loved it ever since. I did want to "modernize" the geo and wasn't totally sold on the current MK3 Krampus - although I got close to ordering one and the deal didn't work out. So I took my Krampus love and got a custom bike built I am calling the Mega Krampus because it's the Krampus and more!

I won't pollute this thread with any more non-Krampusness beyond the photo above. If you are interested I started a Mega Krampus thread here:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...72d7ed7c_o.jpg

As far as my OG green Krampus it's not going anywhere. It's probably done with it's role as my main bikepacking rig in favour of the new bike, but I ride the OG Krampus all over town SS as an urban assault machine and love it.

I'm going to sell my LHT because I ride the Krampus when I should ride it. I may even sell my Straggler for the same reason. Both the LHT and Straggler should be a better choice for around town riding than the Krampus, but I still take the Krampus 99% of the time. It just puts a huge smile on my face.

I'm excite to hear about a MK4 Krampus with new geo hopefully it's rad!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I tried to get some info on the new Krampus out of the fine folks at Surly, but the most they would tell me is to keep my eyes peeled for news this month AND next month. (There will apparently be two separate announcements).

That said, I wouldn't mind a pm if you have any good gossip/RUMINT on potential changes...

WNC Native
    Didn't they make some changes to the newest ICT to lighten it up a tad too. Wonder if something similar could be at play here.....?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    I tried to get some info on the new Krampus out of the fine folks at Surly, but the most they would tell me is to keep my eyes peeled for news this month AND next month. (There will apparently be two separate announcements).
    It'll be interesting to see how far along the LLS spectrum Surly pushes the Krampus geo. A new 29+ tire could be good. There is a lot of room between the Knard and the Dirt Wizard.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I would love to see a Krampus with a longer reach, a steeper STA and slacker HA. They should keep the long CS of the OG Krampys tho as they are bang on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Vik - love it. Are you posting pics on PB? If so I will have a look on there.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I would love to see a Krampus with a longer reach, a steeper STA and slacker HA. They should keep the long CS of the OG Krampys tho as they are bang on.
    Uh, if you give it a longer reach and slacker HTA, and make the chainstays longer, you're going to end up with a bike that handles like a dump truck. That would create a very long wheelbase.

With modern geo, including the steeper STA you're asking for, you want shorter chainstays to maintain the balance of the bike, and especially to maintain traction on climbs. Otherwise it will never go around corners either.

My current Krampus already feels a little raked out and cumbersome in tight corners with a 120mm fork. I'm looking for shorter chainstays, steeper STA, slightly slacker HTA, and a much longer reach.

Reach on Krampus- 470mm
    Reach on my Kona Process- 510mm
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    please be shorter chainstays please be shorter chainstays please be shorter chainstays

wouldn't mind slightly less bb drop either

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I ride a Large Krampus, and demo'd a medium recently. That experience told me that I don't want a longer front-center. So I'm not interested if they increase the reach or make the head tube angle more slack. I don't think they can shorten the chainstays much and still fit 29x3" tires. Steep seat tube angles are a hack to compensate for too-short chainstays and too-long front-center. I hope that fad dies soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    please be shorter chainstays please be shorter chainstays please be shorter chainstays

wouldn't mind slightly less bb drop either
    I hear you can stuff a 29x3" wheel/tire on a Karate Monkey. That would give you both.

mtbr member
    I ride a Large Krampus, and demo'd a medium recently. That experience told me that I don't want a longer front-center. So I'm not interested if they increase the reach or make the head tube angle more slack. I don't think they can shorten the chainstays much and still fit 29x3" tires. Steep seat tube angles are a hack to compensate for too-short chainstays and too-long front-center. I hope that fad dies soon.
    I agree on the steep STAs. I don't find they pedal very well [for me] unless you are on crazy steep grades and with my slacker STA bikes I just slide forward on the saddle for those crazy steep grades so it's not a net gain for me to be forced to be in that aggressive climbing position even when trails are flat or rolling.

On the short CS the Trek Stache does 29+ with 420mm CS so they can definitely be shorter. The OG green Krampus doesn't have great 3" tire clearance with its wheel at the shortest position in the dropouts, but that's a design choice not an absolute limitation of the tire size. I'm not sure how 29+ clearance is on the new Mk3 Krampus. Reasonable people can disagree on what the "right" CS length is. Personally I don't like long CS, but I don't need them ultrashort either. Something around ~17" suits me well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I agree on the steep STAs. I don't find they pedal very well [for me] unless you are on crazy steep grades and with my slacker STA bikes I just slide forward on the saddle for those crazy steep grades so it's not a net gain for me to be forced to be in that aggressive climbing position even when trails and flat or rolling.

On the short CS the Trek Stache does 29+ with 420mm CS so they can definitely be shorter. The OG green Krampus doesn't have great 3" tire clearance with its wheel at the shortest position in the dropouts, but that's a design choice not an absolute limitation of the tire size. I'm not sure how 29+ clearance is on the new Mk3 Krampus. Reasonable people can disagree on what the "right" CS length is. Personally I don't like long CS, but I don't need them ultrashort either. Something around ~17" suits me well.
    I agree with everything you just wrote, including the CS length at/around 17" (or 430mm). Well said!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I agree on the steep STAs. I don't find they pedal very well [for me] unless you are on crazy steep grades and with my slacker STA bikes I just slide forward on the saddle for those crazy steep grades so it's not a net gain for me to be forced to be in that aggressive climbing position even when trails are flat or rolling.

On my 2017 Krampus, 29x3" DHRs and XR4s barely clear the chainstay yoke plates with the wheel slammed forward. Sure, they could shorten the chainstays a little with a non-conventional design like the Stache.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    makes sense. But can we agree to stick with the metric system when talking about CS length?

Another cool 29+ bike with super short chainstays is the Myth Talos. if budget allowed I'd have ordered a frame long ago. interesting design he has with the "loop stay" yoke. Much more attractive than the Stache's elevated stay.

I have thought about ordering a Karate Monkey for the shorter stays also but the fact that it has less stack than the Krampus scares me. Im all legs at 6' 2.5'' with 37.5'' inseam

mtbr member
    makes sense. But can we agree to stick with the metric system when talking about CS length?

Another cool 29+ bike with super short chainstays is the Myth Talos. if budget allowed I'd have ordered a frame long ago. interesting design he has with the "loop stay" yoke. Much more attractive than the Stache's elevated stay.
    1 inch = 25.4mm

Personally I think in inches when it comes to bike geo.

My buddy has a custom Myth bike 27+/29er and it looks really nice.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I am hoping the new geo gets close to vassago's new verhauen. If not I am seriously considering the verhauen even thou only clears 2.8.

https://vassagocycles.3dcartstores.c...auen_c_67.html

mtbr member
    When it comes to the longer front centres and slacker HTAs I'm a bit torn. On one hand I think those features can be really nice at higher speeds and on steeper terrain. On the other hand it's overkill for slower less steep riding especially in tighter trails.

Some companies are trying to solve this dilemma by offering a range of bikes with low standover and short seattubes. The idea being most people can choose the frame length they want and them make them fit with a longer/shorter dropper & stem. That's not a terrible idea, but it's not great for really tall people that break droppers and that need high stacks to get a comfortable fit. It's also not great for us weirdos that want to put a frame bag inside the front triangle to carry stuff.

The WB on my new 29+ frame is ~3" longer than my OG Krampus and 4 degrees slacker in the HTA and that's with CS that are ~0.8" shorter on the new bike. So a much longer front centre. I'm not suggesting that's the right answer for everyone, but I know I'm going to feel a lot happier dropping into a loose chunky chute on a poorly maintained alpine trail with the new bike than I did with the OG Krampus.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I am hoping the new geo gets close to vassago's new verhauen. If not I am seriously considering the verhauen even thou only clears 2.8.

https://vassagocycles.3dcartstores.c...auen_c_67.html
    I've been trying to decide between the Krampus and VerHauen myself. My problem with the updated VerHauen is the updated price that goes along with it now that Tom is having them built in the U.S., rather than in Taiwan -- this increased the price by $300 per frame.

The Krampus and VerHauen frames are $675 and $1299, respectively, and that doesn't even include whatever Tom would charge to weld on a few additional mounting bosses to the Vassago.

The VerHauen is certainly a beautiful frame, and the new geo is awesome, but is it really $700 more beautiful than a Krampus?

Decisions, decisions...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Vik - I'm a fan of long slack geo mainly because I like riding steep tech trails. I'm on a L rigid OG Krampus with a -2 angle set and the WB is 1175 (IIRC). The WB on my XL Murmur is ~1300, CS are the same on each bike at 446K and 445M, R = 440K and 515M and HA is 3 degrees slacker at 64.5 on the Murmur.

I can ride all the same trails on both bikes but the Murmur feels a lot safer - less chance of going OTB but the Krampus is still fun and really keeps you honest.

For me the new Krampus would be maybe 2-3" longer. Keep the horizontal dropouts then CS length can be whatever you want it to be (with a chain tug). This would give a slacker HA and longer reach. STA could be a bit steeper as I struggle to keep the front down on steep climbs and a longer reach to compensate the steep STA.

mtbr member
    Surly has been at the forefront of new tech like fatbikes and 29+, but not really on the geo front. In that regard they have remained pretty conservative. So I'm real interested in what they decide to do for the Krampus Mk4.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Wanna ride bikes?
    Surly has been at the forefront of new tech like fatbikes and 29+, but not really on the geo front. In that regard they have remained pretty conservative. So I'm real interested in what they decide to do for the Krampus Mk4.
    Agreed, but I feel like that has slowed in recent years. Bummer.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Agreed, but I feel like that has slowed in recent years. Bummer.
    You are right, but to be fair to Surly they have to:

1. come up with something new that fits their line up of bikes [simple steel hardtail/rigid bikes at decent prices]
    2. verify that it's actually awesome and something the market will go for
    3. figure out how to manufacture it at a reasonable cost
    4. market it

Really great innovative ideas are not easy to come by and some of the potential innovations [say gearboxes] aren't really practical within Surly's mission profile due to cost.

I don't think the lack of innovation lately is due to a lack of desire/interest on Surly's part. It's just hard to do again and again.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    If it ain't broke - don't fix it, I guess. Go too far and it starts getting niche. The great thing about the Krampus is how versatile it is. I'm sure Surly are not going to stray too far from that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    They are smart.
    Some pretend huge improvements but they focus on selecting key selling words.
    They are not trying to be like others.
    Well this is my opinion.
    I am a HT lover.

Snow Dog
    You are right, but to be fair to Surly they have to:

1. come up with something new that fits their line up of bikes [simple steel hardtail/rigid bikes at decent prices]
    2. verify that it's actually awesome and something the market will go for
    3. figure out how to manufacture it at a reasonable cost
    4. market it

Really great innovative ideas are not easy to come by and some of the potential innovations [say gearboxes] aren't really practical within Surly's mission profile due to cost.

I don't think the lack of innovation lately is due to a lack of desire/interest on Surly's part. It's just hard to do again and again.
    If it ain't broke - don't fix it, I guess. Go too far and it starts getting niche. The great thing about the Krampus is how versatile it is. I'm sure Surly are not going to stray too far from that.
    agreed....truly innovative things don't happen every 2 years (like the market wants)...I think part of their "innovation" is that they stick with a foundational design/concept....they aren't jumping on every trend and producing 12 new bike models a year and hoping that one sticks...
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    How does this handle with the moloko bars? Or would something like the ECR or KM be better paired to use with those bars for mountain biking?

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    How does this handle with the moloko bars? Or would something like the ECR or KM be better paired to use with those bars for mountain biking?
    I feel like those bars are more suited to long hauls, and not trail...like Jones bars. You could probably ride trail with them, but I think it would be weird.

Since the ECR is mainly focused as a bikepacking bike, they would be great on that...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Anyone own both a Krampus and ECR? Surly's site says the ECR is also great for single track like the Krampus. They really have a lot of overlapping bikes. It can get costly and confusing. lol Which do you like better? I like both for rigid mtb duties with 3 bottle mounts(I get thirsty quick). Anyone running the Surly open or terminal bar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    I feel like those bars are more suited to long hauls, and not trail...like Jones bars. You could probably ride trail with them, but I think it would be weird.

Since the ECR is mainly focused as a bikepacking bike, they would be great on that...
    Jones has been showing off his bars on the trail. I like my currently bike(broken cause parts were stolen) but being on this site has me thinking getting another bike with even larger tires. I also see a BC, or was it Ogre at a lbs with Moloko bars on it and thought maybe Krampus with those sweeped bars like the terminal bar for single track.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Head tube angle on the ECR is steeper, that makes it a bit more for road. Krampus HTA will absorb shock better. Still steep enough to be efficient on the road, though.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Good to know. I guess I will have to re-think going Krampus. Thanks

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by LezRide View Post
    Anyone own both a Krampus and ECR? Surly's site says the ECR is also great for single track like the Krampus. They really have a lot of overlapping bikes. It can get costly and confusing. lol Which do you like better? I like both for rigid mtb duties with 3 bottle mounts(I get thirsty quick). Anyone running the Surly open or terminal bar.
    I almost bought the ECR years ago when I was searching...I had one wheeled up to the counter of the LBS, and at the last moment, went with the Krampus instead...back then (2015) they were very similar geo wise...I had test ridden both, and in the end, the Krampus felt more "fun", and can still be used for the long trekking...the ECR felt a bit less ready for the trail use, at least to me. I could not see needing to own both...but I also bought my Krampus as my "last ever bike" purchase b/c I feel it can do it all for how I ride...I am not an N+1 guy cause I can't afford it

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Thank you. Well I am thinking going frameset if I go krampus route and slowly build it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Anyone have the inside scoop on a v4 coming out soon? Really curious to see..

I had lusted over the original green version for a few years and finally got the new bruised ego purple last fall. Absolutely love how it rides both rigid and now with a 120mm suspension fork. So much so, I know totally unnecessary, but I'd almost love a hardtail front susp version for trails and a rigid version for a do-all commuter.

My main suggestions in terms of geometry interests are 1) Taller headtube for us lanky folks, 2) slightly higher bb drop (like 60ish instead of 65mm) for more range of tire sizes (I'd love to swap between my 3" tires for local singletrack to something like a 2.4-2.5 for long endurance type events - not sure I'd consider currently with pedal strikes), and 3) slightly longer chainstays. I feel like I would've been well-suited to the original geo but do like the upgrades with boost, thru axles, more mounts, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Anyone have the inside scoop on a v4 coming out soon? Really curious to see..

I had lusted over the original green version for a few years and finally got the new bruised ego purple last fall. Absolutely love how it rides both rigid and now with a 120mm suspension fork. So much so, I know totally unnecessary, but I'd almost love a hardtail front susp version for trails and a rigid version for a do-all commuter.

My main suggestions in terms of geometry interests are 1) Taller headtube for us lanky folks, 2) slightly higher bb drop (like 60ish instead of 65mm) for more range of tire sizes (I'd love to swap between my 3" tires for local singletrack to something like a 2.4-2.5 for long endurance type events - not sure I'd consider currently with pedal strikes), and 3) slightly longer chainstays. I feel like I would've been well-suited to the original geo but do like the upgrades with boost, thru axles, more mounts, etc.
    With long legs i went from 175 to 165 mm and will do it again even 160. My opinion is 175 is for roads and roads only.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Just a thought. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the announcement(s) somehow correspond with Intergalactic Surly Day on September 21st.

Info here:
    https://surlybikes.com/surlyday

I also can't believe that I'm just now discovering the event...lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just a thought. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the announcement(s) somehow correspond with Intergalactic Surly Day on September 21st.

Info here:
    https://surlybikes.com/surlyday

I also can't believe that I'm just now discovering the event...lol
    I hope that is it, I can't wait much longer! Also there facebook site is curbing my appetite in the meanwhile.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SurlyBikes/posts/

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Salsa already announced their 2020 model and I think All-City did too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Got a 2019 Krampus this spring, its awesome. The ECR specs seem cramped to me. I have 4 XL Surly bikes, all ride great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

I have a picture of Mt Fuji...

Surly Krampus-k1.jpg

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ haha, that's sweet!!!!!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

turtles make me hot
    VERY cool.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Thought I'd ask this here on the off chance someone could answer...anyone have [or has tried and failed] to fit a 29+ Dirt Wizard in a 2018 Pike RCT3 Boost fork? If so can you post a clearance pic or let me know how much room you had and on what width rim?

Thanks..
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wow ! Thatís an awesome photo
    Quote Originally Posted by bloaker View Post
    Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

I have a picture of Mt Fuji...

Name:	k1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	1279173

turtles make me hot
    Thought I'd ask this here on the off chance someone could answer...anyone have [or has tried and failed] to fit a 29+ Dirt Wizard in a 2018 Pike RCT3 Boost fork? If so can you post a clearance pic or let me know how much room you had and on what width rim?

Thanks..
    I have a 3 1/4 inch Vee Bulldozer on a 40mm rim in a Boost Yari. Fits fine. Pic up above a bunch of posts. Dirt Wizard should be fine.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have a 3 1/4 inch Vee Bulldozer on a 40mm rim in a Boost Yari. Fits fine. Pic up above a bunch of posts. Dirt Wizard should be fine.
    Sounds like an awesome set up !
    What are you running in back ?

mtbr member

Pic

Surly Krampus-surly-krampus-morman-trail-6-30-2019.jpg

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Surly View Post
    Sounds like an awesome set up !
    What are you running in back ?
    Bontrager XR2, AKA Chupacabra.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Ive run 2.5 Minions, Grifters, and Eats on Rabbit Holes. It works, but tire profiles look wonky and sidewalls feel pretty exposed. The Grifters are truly terrible tires, paper thin sidewalls tear and flat nonstop. I actually ran ETs for a couple seasons before I killes my rear hun and switched to a 35mm wide Spank wheelset; they were fine, but the rounder profile on a narrower rim is visually obvious and feels more nimble blasting around.

Snow Dog
    so, does anybody know if the new Krampus forks fit on the OG Green Krampus frame? I would like more braze-on's and never got the old school fork with the braze on's.

LET IT SNOW!

turtles make me hot
    so, does anybody know if the new Krampus forks fit on the OG Green Krampus frame? I would like more braze-on's and never got the old school fork with the braze on's.
    Here's what I know...
    The two forks have 1 1/8" straight steerers so they are interchangeable in the frames. The OG fork is 100mm and QR while the new one is 110 and thru axle. Need to swap hubs or wheels or whatever you're set up for.
    I have no idea if the A to C and offsets are the same.
    The new fork is suspension corrected so probably taller by a bit.
    I like turtles

Here's what I know...
    The two forks have 1 1/8" straight steerers so they are interchangeable in the frames. The OG fork is 100mm and QR while the new one is 110 and thru axle. Need to swap hubs or wheels or whatever you're set up for.
    You are correct on the 1.125" steerer. However:

Current fork is available in both QR and 110TA. According to Surly.
    https://surlybikes.com/parts/krampus_fork

Both old and new forks are 483mm A/C, 47mm rake. Nothing has changed. Krampus' have always been suspension corrected.

What's the actual width of those tires? I want to replace the Knard up front with something bigger. Knard, 120tpi, on 50mm RH rims are ~2.75" casing, 2.9" knob to knob.

Snow Dog
    Here's what I know...
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post

Both old and new forks are 483mm A/C, 47mm rake. Nothing has changed. Krampus' have always been suspension corrected.
    cool. thanks for the info!!! I actually have a thru axle on mine. It did not come with a QR..I was mostly curious about the steerer tube...

LET IT SNOW!

turtles make me hot
    What's the actual width of those tires? I want to replace the Knard up front with something bigger. Knard, 120tpi, on 50mm RH rims are ~2.75" casing, 2.9" knob to knob.
    I'll measure it when I get home.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot

Cool. Who knew?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Surlys big day has come and is almost gone, no news that I've seen on a Krampus update.

That said, not sure why I care when I really do love my red one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    Surlys big day has come and is almost gone, no news that I've seen on a Krampus update.
    Damn. I was holding out for a 32+ Uber Krampus.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

ECR vs Krampus

I do not own both, but I have ridden both. I rode a ECR around the block at the local shop and felt like Iíd found my bike. Later, I got a chance to rent a Krampus (original model) for a weekend and loved it. My first real riding on 29+. That was the idea, to find out how I liked 29+. Now I had a problem. Which one? I loved them both. Here is my take... The Krampus was more trail bike oriented. I was more stretched out and in a more aggressive position. I am 5í 9Ē and rode mediums in both. The ECR is more comfort oriented, for the long haul. I chose the ECR, and couldnít be happier... but occasionally think about a Krampus or a Karate Monkey. I donít really ride it on true singletrack that require a lot of dodging and quick changes in direction. I do more open spaces and cross country riding. It did great on the trails outside of Las Vegas, even if I didnít! There was more maneuvering there than I usually do, fun and challenging. Altitude and hills were hard for a guy on the Gulf Coast.

So if were mostly riding singletrack, Iíd get a Krampus. It can be used as an all around and is popular for bike packing. It is tons of fun.

An ECR is great for just cruising around and can handle almost anything... pavement, packed dirt, loose dirt, fist sized rocks. I love the Jones bars and the Microshifters. They are addictive. It is very comfortable. That comfortable feeling while cruising anywhere is why I like it so much. Great for mixed mode riding.

Both have the 29+ and can handle the same kinds of surface conditions. Iíd say Krampus for mostly trails, ECR for general riding. You can do pretty much anything on a Krampus that you can on an ECR, but the reverse maybe not. The ECR is more comfortable for the stuff it does well.

I have heard if you are really loading up the bike, the ECR handles better. I havenít done that on either. You canít go wrong.

that guy
    Jun 2011

Yeah, I'm a little annoyed that they didn't time their announcement with their big party. It makes no sense IMO.

Only reason I personally care is because my order remains on hold until I see the new color(s). I'd like to avoid potential buyer's remorse, so I have to wait. It's a moral imperative.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FoafInTX View Post
    I love the Jones bars and the Microshifters.
    Which microSHIFT model are running on your Jones bars?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Good on Surly for not turning a fun bike day into some marketing/product release ploy.

mtbr member
    Are we sure there is any Krampus announcement coming beyond the usual new colours for the next year?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Are we sure there is any Krampus announcement coming beyond the usual new colours for the next year?
    One of Surly's engineers told me directly that there would be two Krampus-related announcements -- one in September and one in October.

They refused to give me any hints for the content of said announcements.

If I had to guess, it will probably just be new colors and some changes/updates to their complete build packages; but again, that's just a guess. They could announce an entirely new geometry for all I know.

mtbr member
    One of Surly's engineers told me directly that there would be two Kampus-related announcements -- one in September and one in October.
    Well they have a week left for the first announcement. I guess we'll see what happens.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    One of Surly's engineers told me directly that there would be two Krampus-related announcements -- one in September and one in October.

They refused to give me any hints for the content of said announcements.

If I had to guess, it will probably just be new colors and some changes/updates to their complete build packages; but again, that's just a guess. They could announce an entirely new geometry for all I know.
    My guesses - new color and build kits. Maybe one rigid option and a suspension fork option, like they did with the KM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My krampus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-surly.jpg  

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by edge View Post
    My krampus
    another OG green!!! Love it...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quick(ish) question about the bb on the latest gen (purple)

People complain about the spline bb but Iím not sure why, when I pedal, it goes. I know next to nothing about bbís but I do want to change my crankset to a shorter one.

Should I upgrade the stock bb while Iím at it? Why? And if so what am I looking for as far as compatibility?

Thanks gang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Itís a 73 mm threaded bottom bracket, which is a classic, common size. My crankset is a race face turbine. Itís from around 2014, I switched the parts from my old surly to my new one. But both were built from frame sets, and I chose all the parts. The race face crankset has a lot of power transfer, and rotates more smoothly than the original one I used. That was also a race face, but the cheapest one. Your power does translate through that mechanism. And I personally recommend getting the best, within reason, you can afford. It doesnít have to be uber expensive. But should be very good quality.

Iíll let someone else answer the spline question.

turtles make me hot
    I built my Black Krampus from a frameset. I used a RaceFace Aeffect crankset and a Chris King bottom bracket. Very happy with it. I really like the Aeffect direct mount ring. In have a Wolftooth ring on it.

I have seen those spline bbs loosen and have the arms get loose. Maybe thats what they mean.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Thanks
    Sorry, just saw this. These are 810mm wide Answer pro taper bars with a 3" rise. I trimmed them down to 790mm and now they are onn my DJ bike. I went back to a 1" rise pro taper bar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quick(ish) question about the bb on the latest gen (purple)

People complain about the spline bb but Iím not sure why, when I pedal, it goes. I know next to nothing about bbís but I do want to change my crankset to a shorter one.

Should I upgrade the stock bb while Iím at it? Why? And if so what am I looking for as far as compatibility?

Thanks gang

Assuming you bought a complete bike, which comes with a SRAM Power Spline bottom bracket, and you want to change your crank, you will need to change the bottom bracket as well. You will want a 73mm BSA bottom bracket that integrates with whatever crank spindle your new crankset has.

Popular cranksets, purchased in the aftermarket, are not designed to be used with the Power Spline BB...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Well they have a week left for the first announcement. I guess we'll see what happens.
    Now we have less then 24hrs! I sure hope it is worth the wait! In the mean time I will keep riding my MDS Krampus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Krampus-0224181507-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks for all the input on the bb. still not entirely certain why the disdain for powerspline but if i want shorter cranks it sounds like I should be looking to replace it anyway.

Sweet ride SSsteel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I should add that my Raceface crankset came with a Raceface bottom bracket. At the time they came together, and you had to chose the one with the correct bb size. Now they are sold separately. I could see the difference between the higher quality one that came with the Turbine than their entry level one. It was stiffer and spun more smoothly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for all the input on the bb. still not entirely certain why the disdain for powerspline but if i want shorter cranks it sounds like I should be looking to replace it anyway.

Sweet ride SSsteel.
    Iíve seen some technical discussions in this forum when discussing stock components on particular Surlys. Not sure which threads. If you filter this subforum for Ďsplineí you might find something.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Now we have less then 24hrs! I sure hope it is worth the wait! In the mean time I will keep riding my MDS Krampus.
    Just called Surly HQ. Sadly, it looks like the announcement has been delayed until sometime between now and mid-October. They didn't provide a reason or any additional info, so it is what it is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Just called Surly HQ. Sadly, it looks like the announcement has been delayed until sometime between now and mid-October. They didn't provide a reason or any additional info, so it is what it is.
    Thanks for the intel, horse!

mid-October....I believe thats SurlySpeak for February 2020.

WNC Native
    Thanks for the intel, horse!

mic-October....I believe thats SurlySpeak for February 2020.
    and won't be available until mid-October 2020.....

Wanna ride bikes?
    It's almost like this has happened before...
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    6 business days left until mid-Oct. I'm getting excited for the release of the Uber Krampus 32+ machine.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Snow Dog
    6 business days left until mid-Oct. I'm getting excited for the release of the Uber Krampus 32+ machine.
    hell yeah...hopefully called "The Sled"

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thoughts on sticking a 2.6" tire like an XR2 on stock i40 rims (newer gen krampus) for an upcoming gravel race? A lot of elevation and roads are apparently pretty rough like xc mtb terrain. Gravel bike needs some work, and swapping tires on the krampus seems like a quicker, cheaper option.

mtbr member
    Thoughts on sticking a 2.6" tire like an XR2 on stock i40 rims (newer gen krampus) for an upcoming gravel race? A lot of elevation and roads are apparently pretty rough like xc mtb terrain. Gravel bike needs some work, and swapping tires on the krampus seems like a quicker, cheaper option.
    Do you have 120tpi Knards? They roll fast and you get the full 29+ cushion effect which is nice.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Do you have 120tpi Knards? They roll fast and you get the full 29+ cushion effect which is nice.
    Just the original DWs, current set up are ranger toughs. General idea for a 2.6 is a faster rolling tread and lighter rotational weight.

mtbr member
    Just the original DWs, current set up are ranger toughs. General idea for a 2.6 is a faster rolling tread and lighter rotational weight.
    The Knards roll really fast and the extra weight is not an issue at 980g. If I was buying new tires either way that's what I'd get for gravel.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Wanna ride bikes?
    2.6's will lower the BB and increase the chance of pedal strikes.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I'm getting excited for the release of the Uber Krampus 32+ machine.
    Will standards never cease?!?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Will standards never cease?!?
    A new standard is not a bad thing if it offers a tangible improvement on something that already exists. A new standard for the sake of a new standard is extremely annoying.

I'm not saying 32+ would be good necessarily, but I would want to try it. So much so that I may buy one. Probably want 2.6-2.8" tires though. (I've never said that before)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    2.6's will lower the BB and increase the chance of pedal strikes.
    Yeah this has been talked about a lot - I already have noticed more pedal strikes with 3.0 tires than my previous hardtail. But in this case, I'm not sure it will matter as much on gravel. I noticed some people on the bikepacking TDR bikes with 2.4-2.6 tires on their newer gen krampuses.

mtbr member
    Surly posted Krampus info on Instagram. Two new build options [suspension fork + dropper and rigid/rigid]. I haven't looked too hard, but doesn't seem like anything actually has changed with respect to the frame itself.

https://linkin.bio/surlybikes
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Bikesexual
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    My guesses - new color and build kits. Maybe one rigid option and a suspension fork option, like they did with the KM.
    Hey called it! Nice to have a suspension and dropper post option. Love the new tangled up in blue color, too, but they definitely cut costs on the groupset/brakes to keep the price the same. Glad I got the previous model and build (I think it was even cheaper last fall - $1450 or $1500?). Seems like just the frameset is the way to go.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Game on!

WNC Native
    I dig that BLUE

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Decisions decisions...

mtbr member
    I'd do a frame up build so I'm not really fussed what the build kit specs are. If the frames are the same less new colours than nothing has really changed. That purple was killer though. Nicest Surly colour since the OG green Krampus.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Snow Dog
    I'd do a frame up build so I'm not really fussed what the build kit specs are. If the frames are the same less new colours than nothing has really changed. That purple was killer though. Nicest Surly colour since the OG green Krampus.
    agreed...that purple would almost entice me into getting a newer frame to play with...but my OG greenie would possibly get jealous

maybe make a 27.5+ singlespeed....hmmmmmm

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Bummer, no geo changes. Thou I like that blue color. I was ripping my krampus the other night and thought what do i really need changed. It handles everything so well! Maybe I build up a light weight blue one to complement its brother! I have never been a weight weenie, but getting older I wonder what a light weight hardtail would be like.

Anyone know what the frame weights are on these latest Gen Krampus frames?

WNC Native
    Anyone know what the frame weights are on these latest Gen Krampus frames?
    If I remember correctly, Large is around 6-6.5lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    If I remember correctly, Large is around 6-6.5lbs.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    agreed...that purple would almost entice me into getting a newer frame to play with...but my OG greenie would possibly get jealous

maybe make a 27.5+ singlespeed....hmmmmmm
    Even with a custom 29+ HT I still ride my OG Krampus a bunch. The new bike is much better for trail work, but the rigid OG Krampus setup SS is a ton of fun for urban assault work and I don't feel bad locking it up outside when I run an errand.

Personally I wouldn't go 27+ as it does nothing better than 29+, but a rigid SS 29+ and a suspension forked/droppered geared 29+ could be a nice combo.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Personally I wouldn't go 27+ as it does nothing better than 29+
    Truer words have never been spoken!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken!
    This, I went from a 27+ hardtail before to a krampus and haven't looked back!

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quick question: I'm about to pull the trigger on a complete build. Besides the obvious 18t cog, what Surly parts are recommended to immediately convert it to 30x18t singlespeed?

I'm thinking just a cog, spacers, and a Tuggnut, but I've never built a Surly SS before. What do you guys recommend?

Snow Dog
    Even with a custom 29+ HT I still ride my OG Krampus a bunch. The new bike is much better for trail work, but the rigid OG Krampus setup SS is a ton of fun for urban assault work and I don't feel bad locking it up outside when I run an errand.

Personally I wouldn't go 27+ as it does nothing better than 29+, but a rigid SS 29+ and a suspension forked/droppered geared 29+ could be a nice combo.
    hmmm...maybe will reverse the thought, and do my OG as a SS and build up the new one as my geared, bikepacker/winter rider...

would not do suspension though. I hate the feel of it

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    hmmm...maybe will reverse the thought, and do my OG as a SS and build up the new one as my geared, bikepacker/winter rider...

would not do suspension though. I hate the feel of it
    Haha, good suspension doesn't feel like anything. But there is a certain something that a rigid bike has that you can't deny.

I like the new orange and blue, but the original MK2 red is still the best.

mtbr member
    but the original MK2 red is still the best.
    exactly! although difficult to catch on camera

Surly Krampus-0030.jpg

but when the purple came out, i got shaky...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yep, the purple works.
    Surly Krampus-af722080-3708-47ae-905f-2c39041421e9.jpeg

Wanna ride bikes?
    I have to say I was hoping for an update to the geometry of the frame. A new color is not exciting, and it's pretty easy to throw a fork on the standard build.

The current geometry is too conservative. It could really use shorter chainstays and a longer reach. And a slightly steeper STA.

Guess I'll keep waiting for someone to make the perfect 29+ steel hardtail frame.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I have to say I was hoping for an update to the geometry of the frame. A new color is not exciting, and it's pretty easy to throw a fork on the standard build.

The current geometry is too conservative. It could really use shorter chainstays and a longer reach. And a slightly steeper STA.

Guess I'll keep waiting for someone to make the perfect 29+ steel hardtail frame.

I too was hoping for a geometry update, but it would have surprised me if they actually did it just yet.

I keep thinking the same thing as you until I go ride the damn thing and then it just feels...right.

But for what you (and admittedly I) are looking for, I gotta say that Myth Talos is darn near perfect. I just canít afford or truly justify it.

Wanna ride bikes?

But for what you (and admittedly I) are looking for, I gotta say that Myth Talos is darn near perfect. I just canít afford or truly justify it.
    The Reach on a XL is only 475mm. While it is a small improvement on the Krampus, it's still way short.

The Myth is a pretty sweet looking bike though, I'd love to ride one. With the shorter chainstays, and a 74 STA, and less BB drop than the Krampus, I wonder if the front end doesn't get light on climbs. The reach is only slightly longer than the Krampus.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The Reach on a XL is only 475mm. While it is a small improvement on the Krampus, it's still way short.

The Myth is a pretty sweet looking bike though, I'd love to ride one. With the shorter chainstays, and a 74 STA, and less BB drop than the Krampus, I wonder if the front end doesn't get light on climbs. The reach is only slightly longer than the Krampus.
    The norco torrent ST is pretty close, thou only says 2.6 clearance, Maybe it could squeeze 2.8? Also geared dropouts, if you only want SS. Otherwise dang close!

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/mou...nt-ht-s-frame/

mtbr member

Just a FYI the Myth Talos geo chart numbers are with the fork sagged not unsagged. That'll affect any comparisons as most geo charts I've seen post unsagged numbers.

My custom 29+ has similar geo and it climbs steeps great. No issues with the front end coming up or feeling light.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Wanna ride bikes?
    Just a FYI the Myth Talos geo chart numbers are with the fork sagged not unsagged. That'll affect any comparisons as most geo charts I've seen post unsagged numbers.

My custom 29+ has similar geo and it climbs steeps great. No issues with the front end coming up or feeling light.
    Ah, good call. That changes things a little with the BB height, but only makes the STA worse. Also doesn't improve the short reach.

And no, the Norco is not close. 2.6 is NOT plus, and no SS dropouts are a deal breaker.

Don't worry all, I'm acutely aware that the only way to get what I want is to go custom. Again.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

that guy
    Jun 2011
    What do you guys use for QR seatclamps on the Surly frames? The 33.1 OD is annoying the hell out of me. Is the black Salsa Flip-lock literally the only 33.1 QR option in the world?

turtles make me hot
    What do you guys use for QR seatclamps on the Surly frames? The 33.1 OD is annoying the hell out of me. Is the black Salsa Flip-lock literally the only 33.1 QR option in the world?
    The Flip Locks are great.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I have the Hope

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ELECTRIC_YETI View Post
    I have the Hope
    I haven't seen a size 33.1 Hope option in the wild. Which Hope clamp is that, exactly?

mtbr member
    I lied to you sorry. That's a 30 on the OG Krampus.my 33.1 is the black one

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Which Surly chain tensioner works best with the newer (2019 or 2020) Krampus wheels+frames when converting the drivetrain to singlespeed?

Tuggnut vs. Snuggnut?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Snuggnut
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Snuggnut
    I believe my LBS ordered the Tugg when I asked them to gather the Surly parts required to set it up SS, so I'll ask them to switch it out. Thank you!
    Last edited by paleh0rse; 4 Days Ago at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    There's also a 33.1 from Paul, they're pricey but definitively worth it. I got them on 2 bikes and they are a pleasure to use

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rhubarb View Post
    There's also a 33.1 from Paul, they're pricey but definitively worth it. I got them on 2 bikes and they are a pleasure to use
    Good info, than you!

Last question before I put everything together:

The new suspension fork Surly includes with their 2020 complete bike offering has an axle-to-crown of 531mm.

I have a Fox fork that has an a2c of 525mm at 120mm or 535mm at 130mm. (I have the airshafts for 120, 130, and 140). Would the 535mm a2c at 130mm be too aggressive for this frame, or is still within a reasonable spec?

turtles make me hot
    Good info, than you!

Last question before I put everything together:

The new suspension fork Surly includes with their 2020 complete bike offering has an axle-to-crown of 531mm.

I have a Fox fork that has an a2c of 525mm at 120mm or 535mm at 130mm. (I have the airshafts for 120, 130, and 140). Would the 535mm a2c at 130mm be too aggressive for this frame, or is still within a reasonable spec?
    If I had to take a wild guess I'd say you'll be fine. I took a 120mm Rockshox Yari out of the box, put it on my bike and set the air pressure. Nothing else. I don't even know what the A to C is. Bike feels perfect.
    I like turtles

Wanna ride bikes?

It will be fine. I have a 120 Mattoc on my Krampus. It's great but definitely rakes out the bike a bit, but more noticeable is the longer wheelbase. Granted I'm on a XL, but I wouldn't want it to be any slacker or longer for my local tight twisty trails.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Members who have read this thread: 347