Surly Krampus as 27.5+- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    304

    Surly Krampus as 27.5+

    Going to buid up a Surly Krampus as 27.5+, thinking this should work, what do you guys think? Anything I should be aware of? (:

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Saul Lumikko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,801
    Loooow BB!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dRjOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,610
    try it....the krampus bb is 320 or so mm iirc, the difference between a 29+ (770 ish mm diameter) and a b+ (725-30 ish mm diameter) means you'll drop the bb by 20mm. 300mm aint too bad. depends on terrain and riding style id say. the other down side is the rear centre will be relatively long for the wheel size but, again, horses for courses...
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

    bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

    https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,384
    No thanks k bye

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,593
    There are better 29er frames to try this with than a Krampus IMHO.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Loooow BB!
    I know a lot of people running a Krampus with 29er wheels so I figured it'd be the same diameter?

    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    try it....the krampus bb is 320 or so mm iirc, the difference between a 29+ (770 ish mm diameter) and a b+ (725-30 ish mm diameter) means you'll drop the bb by 20mm. 300mm aint too bad. depends on terrain and riding style id say. the other down side is the rear centre will be relatively long for the wheel size but, again, horses for courses...
    Hey DrJon! I read your blog!! I was just reading the post about all the tyre sizes! Thanks for the reply, I was thinking it wouldn't be too bad, since the diameter is roughly the same as 29er (:

    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    No thanks k bye
    FOR ME NOT FOR YOU

    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    There are better 29er frames to try this with than a Krampus IMHO.
    oooh, which ones? I'm very open to suggestions, curious which frames you think might be better! (:

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: croatiansensation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    Going to buid up a Surly Krampus as 27.5+, thinking this should work, what do you guys think? Anything I should be aware of? (:
    First thing that popped into my head is . . . Why? Are you a smaller rider? As a tall guy, I love my Krampus in 29+ form.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by croatiansensation View Post
    First thing that popped into my head is . . . Why? Are you a smaller rider? As a tall guy, I love my Krampus in 29+ form.
    Yup I'm 5'5" and I have an ECR, find the wheels a tad big, I strangely find my Moonlander easier to ride, much easier to ride (:

  9. #9
    Live Free & Ride
    Reputation: NH Mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,547
    If steel is your deal why not a purpose built plus bike like the Jamis?...

    2016 Jamis Dragonslayer 27.5+ | BIKE Magazine
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

    https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    If steel is your deal why not a purpose built plus bike like the Jamis?...

    2016 Jamis Dragonslayer 27.5+ | BIKE Magazine
    It doesn't seem to be out yet, looks really nice though. I'm in the UK too. I was considering the Genesis longitude but I really don't dig the ally fork, I want to run it rigid with a dynamo and the longitude has boost front spacing too and the frameset costs 100 more than the Krampus too!

  11. #11
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,816
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    I know a lot of people running a Krampus with 29er wheels so I figured it'd be the same diameter?
    But it isn't the same diameter. Expect around another .400" lower BB height than those running a normal 29er setup.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14,077
    Try the Krampus with the 29+ wheels from the ECR first. There is more to how a bike rides than the wheel size. You may find you are not needing to do anything else.

    If they come out with a true 3"width 27+ tire the BB height may be just fine on a Krampus.

    As much as I dig the Krampus there are 27+ specific frames coming out. That may suit your needs/wants better?
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,384
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    Yup I'm 5'5" and I have an ECR, find the wheels a tad big
    A TAD big? If my math is right, the wheels on your ECR at .25" taller than you are.

    BOOMROASTED

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: croatiansensation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    As much as I dig the Krampus there are 27+ specific frames coming out. That may suit your needs/wants better?
    Yeah, the Krampus is sweet, but not sweet enough in my opinion that you need to "make it work" for one's needs just to use the frame. I second the motion that a dedicated 27+ frame would be the best route here.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Try the Krampus with the 29+ wheels from the ECR first. There is more to how a bike rides than the wheel size. You may find you are not needing to do anything else.

    If they come out with a true 3"width 27+ tire the BB height may be just fine on a Krampus.

    As much as I dig the Krampus there are 27+ specific frames coming out. That may suit your needs/wants better?
    That is a really good idea, I still remember what you said about frame stiffness!! You know I was following the Wednesday too, and I need a 4" fatbike too, what do you think of just getting that instead? And running it with two wheelsets? And after the announcement of the 150mm dynamo today, I really want to get it!

    Quote Originally Posted by croatiansensation View Post
    Yeah, the Krampus is sweet, but not sweet enough in my opinion that you need to "make it work" for one's needs just to use the frame. I second the motion that a dedicated 27+ frame would be the best route here.
    I can't seem to see any other steel ones that are actually out yet apart from the Genesis which is 100 more than the Krampus, with an alloy fork and with boost, all of which are a do not want!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,623
    Singular has shown their current Swift and Gryphon with 27.5+ wheels. Those should give quite a bit livelier ride than the Krampus, and you wouldn't have to deal with track ends.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14,077
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    That is a really good idea, I still remember what you said about frame stiffness!! You know I was following the Wednesday too, and I need a 4" fatbike too, what do you think of just getting that instead? And running it with two wheelsets? And after the announcement of the 150mm dynamo today, I really want to get it!
    The Wed looks nice. If you have 29+ parts and it would just require a new frame/fork you may want to keep two separate bikes. Building 29+ wheels with 150/170mm hubs isn't cheap. Having two bikes means there is always something to ride when one is down for maintenance.

    Aside from the cost of the fat-29+ wheels the only other issue with using the Wed as a one-bike-to-rule-them-all is the 100mm wide BB and resulting wide Q-factor. Some people don't love that and some people don't notice. Do you have any long-term fatbike experience you can use to gauge your wide BB tolerance?

    I would get the Wed. Ride it for a while and then decide on a fat-29+ wheel set.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The Wed looks nice. If you have 29+ parts and it would just require a new frame/fork you may want to keep two separate bikes. Building 29+ wheels with 150/170mm hubs isn't cheap. Having two bikes means there is always something to ride when one is down for maintenance.

    Aside from the cost of the fat-29+ wheels the only other issue with using the Wed as a one-bike-to-rule-them-all is the 100mm wide BB and resulting wide Q-factor. Some people don't love that and some people don't notice. Do you have any long-term fatbike experience you can use to gauge your wide BB tolerance?

    I would get the Wed. Ride it for a while and then decide on a fat-29+ wheel set.
    That's a good idea, it might be worth getting the krampus just to try it. The hubs will cost a lot, and I like the geometry (short tt) of the pugs much more than the wednesday. I'm not too sure about q factor, I haven't had any issues with it, longest I've done on my Moonlander is 40 miles and I had no issues whatsoever. This is hurting my head. I just want a bike that I can ride to the ends of the earth with. I'm even considering something like a fargo. I used to like toying around with bikes but I just want to ride now, I'm getting a bit tired lol. I guess I'm growing up (:

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dRjOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,610
    i like the look of the genesis tarn 10, 20 (27.5+) and new caribou (if fat option needed) also....might be worth a neb.

    Surly Krampus as 27.5+-2442-11387-main-gn923-2.jpg

    Surly Krampus as 27.5+-gn9111.jpg
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

    bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

    https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

  20. #20
    Frame Building Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,489
    If you don't fit well on 29+ wheels/frames, which it sounds like you basically don't, putting smaller wheels on might be fun, but it's also locking you into a bunch of geometry you don't necessarily want/need - long chainstays and wheelbase being the most important. A purpose built 27.5+ is probably a better bet.

    -Walt

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,593
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    i like the look of the genesis tarn 10, 20 (27.5+) and new caribou (if fat option needed) also....might be worth a neb.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2442-11387-main-gn923-2.jpg 
Views:	1327 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	1014378

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GN9111.jpg 
Views:	7629 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	1014379
    Those look so nice. Can they be bought/found in the US?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dRjOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,610
    i dont know actually! - officer friendly is uk based i think so thats why i posted them. the guy who designs them is a friend of a friend so i've been aware of the input into them and i think for reasonably priced production frames they are extremely well thought out. i'll find out if they have any US outlet and come back to you...


    hmmm! anywhere but it seems!

    International Stockists | Genesis Bikes
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

    bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

    https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    103
    There are some UK stockists who ship internationally if you look around

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    178
    As far as I can tell my height (5'7") inhibits me on my krampus from doing wheelies and proper manuals. Still possible but harder than my 26 fs ibis.

    But for my terrain in Austin, I'm by far happier on the krampus in every way. Chunky rocky technical terrain is managed far better. The krampus actually corners better which makes me more aggressive in general. The "short guy restriction" for 29+ isn't a hard fast rule. Seems to be more dependent on terrain and personal preference.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Saul Lumikko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,801
    The increased axle height of big wheels makes wheelies more difficult compared to 26" bikes, not to mention BMX bikes. Also chainstay length has a big effect.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    4
    I've seen a "27.5+" Krampus build on the Keep Pedalling Facebook page. It looked awesome. I'm wondering how 27.5+ wheels look on a large Krampus.

  27. #27
    Ride On
    Reputation: geraldooka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    900
    I'll preface what I'm about to say with I have no clue on the 27.5+ on the Krampus but suspect the BB height issues aren't much of a big deal. Having said that if you have no intention of ever riding it as 29+ I'd echo some of the comments already made and look at a dedicated 27.5+ bike. There will be a ton coming just around the corner.

    Now I just finished building up a Krampus and I gotta say I freakin love this thing I find myself constantly thinking about riding it. It replaces a Nimble 9 and frankly the Surly frame is far more elegant, springy and has a MUCH more lively ride than the N9 does. It reminds me of my Bianchi 022 frame or my Rocky Mountain Hammer Race frame that "steel is real" vibe is alive and well in the Krampus. While I have a proper 6" full sus I'm drawn to taking this thing to the local trail centre to thrash it about! I'm also on a medium and just a hair over 5'7"

    Good luck in your search.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    61
    Also a Stooge Cycles might be good.
    http://stoogecycles.co.uk
    It's specifically designed to accommodate a plethora of rider heights....
    And it is also now designed with interchangeability between regular 29er, 27.5+ front and rear and a 29+ front. Also eccentric bottom bracket.
    But rigid only too.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3
    I am currently in the process of building my own 27.5 plus Krampus. As of right now I have a 27.5 velocity blunt 35 wheelset, a 27.5 fox float 32, and I am waiting on on my 27.5 x 2.8 trailblazers. I do not have any pictures of the complete build because the tires are not mounted; however, for any of those considering this, it should work no problem. IMHO it will have hardly any issues with pedal strikes and should be a kick ass ride. I might get around to posting pictures when the bike is competely built up in the next week or so.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8
    I am currently fitting a pair of 27.5 WTB i45 Scrapers with 2.8 Nobby Nics to my Krampus. Also running a 29er Rockshox Reba RLT. I'll post pics when I have them all mounted up.

  31. #31
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    7,867
    Quote Originally Posted by offroader21 View Post
    I am currently in the process of building my own 27.5 plus Krampus. As of right now I have a 27.5 velocity blunt 35 wheelset, a 27.5 fox float 32, and I am waiting on on my 27.5 x 2.8 trailblazers. I do not have any pictures of the complete build because the tires are not mounted; however, for any of those considering this, it should work no problem. IMHO it will have hardly any issues with pedal strikes and should be a kick ass ride. I might get around to posting pictures when the bike is competely built up in the next week or so.
    guy: "hey OneSpeed"
    me: yeah
    guy: what's a worse idea than running 3.0 B+ tires on a Krampus?
    me: IDK, doing it with 2.8's and the wrong fork?
    guy: correct
    me: did i win anything?
    guy: nope, your an ass
    me: it's not the first time
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Similar Threads

  1. Surly Krampus
    By messofzero in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 4975
    Last Post: 1 Day Ago, 05:21 PM
  2. Surly Krampus
    By rc mike in forum Photography for mountain bikers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2015, 10:27 AM
  3. Surly Krampus Ops !stolen!
    By Tryology in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2015, 07:40 PM
  4. Stolen Surly Krampus
    By hirschmj in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 08:40 PM
  5. Spokane SURLY KRAMPUS OWNERS!!!
    By chazreign in forum Washington
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2014, 08:25 PM

Members who have read this thread: 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.