Specialized Fuse Comp or wait for Salsa Timberjack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Specialized Fuse Comp or wait for Salsa Timberjack?

Hi guys,

I am looking for my first "real" mountain bike and have been very interested in plus hardtails. I was able to demo a Trek Stache a week ago and loved the grip and stability, but was hoping for a bit more maneuverability and a lower price point. With that in mind, I started looking at 27.5+ bikes and came across the Salsa Timberjack. Unfortunately, it looks like it won't even be released until next month and the only dealer that stocks Salsa is about a 30 minute drive from my house.

However, I was able to demo a Specialized Fuse yesterday and loved it. On the same trails as the Stache, I found I was more confident and just had more fun overall. I am still leaning slightly toward the Timberjack based on early reviews and the idea that it has some better components for a similar price (correct me if I'm wrong), but is there anything geometry-wise that would make it "less fun" than the Fuse? It seems like they have very similar head tube angles, seat tube angles, etc. I have also read some negative things about the Fuse, such as the fork not being great and the bottom bracket failing, though Specialized seems to have a good warranty. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that I will be able to demo a Timberjack.

For what it's worth...I am not an adventure rider or bikepacker and my only goal is to rip around local singletrack for a few hours at a time to have fun. If I'm lucky I'll be able to get out 3-4 times a week. Just looking for a bit of direction here since I'm new to the sport and don't have too much experience with mountain bikes. I want to keep my budget around $1500 at the most.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm of the opinion that if you ride a bike and love you should buy it, especially over one that you may not get to test ride.

I'm sure the Timberjack is a nice bike and I am a big fan of Salsa (I own three of their bikes), but what if you buy the Timberjack and don't like it for one reason or another? Bikes are very dynamic and even though one looks right "on paper" doesn't mean that you're going to love it as much as the Fuse.

My $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by slevin011 View Post
    Hi guys,

I am looking for my first "real" mountain bike and have been very interested in plus hardtails. I was able to demo a Trek Stache a week ago and loved the grip and stability, but was hoping for a bit more maneuverability and a lower price point. With that in mind, I started looking at 27.5+ bikes and came across the Salsa Timberjack. Unfortunately, it looks like it won't even be released until next month and the only dealer that stocks Salsa is about a 30 minute drive from my house.

However, I was able to demo a Specialized Fuse yesterday and loved it. On the same trails as the Stache, I found I was more confident and just had more fun overall. I am still leaning slightly toward the Timberjack based on early reviews and the idea that it has some better components for a similar price (correct me if I'm wrong), but is there anything geometry-wise that would make it "less fun" than the Fuse? It seems like they have very similar head tube angles, seat tube angles, etc. I have also read some negative things about the Fuse, such as the fork not being great and the bottom bracket failing, though Specialized seems to have a good warranty. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that I will be able to demo a Timberjack.

For what it's worth...I am not an adventure rider or bikepacker and my only goal is to rip around local singletrack for a few hours at a time to have fun. If I'm lucky I'll be able to get out 3-4 times a week. Just looking for a bit of direction here since I'm new to the sport and don't have too much experience with mountain bikes. I want to keep my budget around $1500 at the most.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kwabbott View Post
    I'm of the opinion that if you ride a bike and love you should buy it, especially over one that you may not get to test ride.
    Thanks for the response. You're probably right. I really did enjoy riding the Fuse and would be concerned about buying a bike based purely on the spec sheet, though I am still slightly worried if I do decide to buy the Fuse I'll end up spending even more money in the long run replacing and upgrading parts.

Can anyone with a Fuse chime in and let me know if my concerns are founded or if I'm just reading too deep into a few issues that only a few people experienced? I know opinions on bikes are completely subjective, but I just want to make sure I make the "right" choice.

Thanks again
    Last edited by slevin011; 09-27-2016 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Fuse owner here, comp version to be exact and from stock, the only thing i replaced were the ff:

1. Drivetrain -- not a necessity but more on preference, since i have an 11-46 cogset, might as well put it to good use.

2. Converted to tubeless -- bike is tubeless ready from stock so no extra spending needed for this part, you just have to ask your bikeshop that you want it set up tubeless, at most you'll pay up for could be labor and the cost of the sealant...mine was free, maybe they gave it as a complimentary service for purchasing a bike from them.

3. Changed the bottom bracket since the stock is plasticky and gets squeaky a lot sooner.

Thats all that i changed on my fuse and happy with the set up!...the others, ill replace as soon as they get toast! but for now, all parts are holding up and even the hubs which are reported to be a problem by some fuse owners, is not an issue for me. I had the bike since May of 2016 and ride at an average of 2x a week, and the trails i frequent are generally rocky, rooty and at times muddy...so thats it, i'm stoked with the fuse!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I was in the same boat as you, I really wanted to wait for the Timberjack. It has the look of a great bike. I called my local LBS and they said I might, just maybe be able to get one middle of November. I said site says they ship in Oct, whats the deal? They said they are hearing November. Anyways I went down test road a 2016 Fuse Comp and totally loved the bike. Parking lot ride was ok, but when I hit the trail that bike comes alive. I asked the shop what they could do for me, walked a way with a Comp for 999.00 plus tax.

If you want a fuse don't wait, they can be had for a great deal right now. Get the bike you know you already love. Timberjack is not even in stores yet and I have been riding for two weeks..

If you got the cash go get a great deal on a fuse..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I demoed the fuse last year and bought the Expert this spring. It felt really good on the test ride. The rear hub has been re-greased but still makes weird noises sometimes. Love the dropper, love the fatties. This bike makes me look better than I am. Fast on the downhill, a little wandering on the slow steep uphill. It has changed mtn biking for me. Was riding full rigid Karate Monkey. So much fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i keep my bikes for quite a while so i'm a believer of buy what you want even if you have to wait. if you are genuinely interested in a timberjack and have to wait a month and drive 30 mins, then wait. if you ride it and don't like it there is no unknown. if you never try it and buy the fuse, in two months when you are in some bike shop that has a timberjack you'll be...what if.

i also am a salsa fan, i had two horsethief frames last year that cracked due to mfg defect. after the second one i told them i don't want another horsethief i want a pony rustler. they said it won't be out for 3 months, i said i'll wait. i did and i absolutely love it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    If you get a Fuse get the 2017 version which comes with a Sram crank. The 2016 which I have came with a Specialized stout crank. They do not stock chain rings for this. That is from Specialized themselves. They will tell you to get a Sram XX1 rings. If you do get Sram chainring bolts as the Specialized bolts will not work. They are 8mm and the Sram are 8.5mm. Or, you can replace the heavy POS. I went Raceface Turbine.