Specialized Fuse Comp 6Fattie- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Specialized Fuse Comp 6Fattie

I'm interested in the Fuse Comp 6Fattie as an extra fun bike to cram into the garage (without spending a whole lot) but I'm not sure about the spec and haven't read a heap about the bike in general. Not the Comp, at least.

Does anyone have any experience with the Fuse 6Fattie or this model specifically?

The Comp is the only model available in my size where I'm located; the Pro and Expert I can't get at all. The fork is my main concern. It's a SR Suntour Raidon 650+ which I know nothing thing about. I've never used that make of fork at all. I'm not a brand snob but I want some acceptable damping/rebound control. I know some entry level forks may as well be painted on.

I've searched the forums and not found anything and found some online reviews but only for the other models.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I ordered mine last friday. I'll give you feedback as soon it's here. Can't wait to take it for a ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Awesome. I'd love to see some photos and get some feedback! You got the base model?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Got my Fuse on friday and took it for two quick spins in the woods. I'm really happy. Before I got it, I thought about tuning the bike, but for now everything works great and the candy apple red is super nice. The grip of the tires is really great and the forks works well enough. I run it quite hard because the tires are doing much of the work.

For me, I won't buy a not b+ hardtail again. It's just so much fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wow, looks great. Congratulations! I still can't work out what spec to get if I go ahead. I spoke to my Specialized dealer and I can actually get all 3 models. Originally I thought it was only the Comp I could get. I'd love to hear some more detailed reports on how you find the fork, brakes and dropper post. The only Suntour fork I've used had no discernible rebound damping but that was years ago and a very low spec bike. I'm not familiar with the company that does the post or the brakes either. That's enough questions for now. I'll annoy you with more later
    Enjoy the new ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I had similar concerns, but since everything works smooth right now I have no urge to channge anything. The brakes are new on the marked. The front one looks like a copycat version of the XT Brake. It's also mineral oil based. I can't complain, but the brakes will probably the first parts being changed (to XT). The dropper post works well, perhaps it needs a tad more force than the reverb to actually drop but nothing disturbing here. The SR Raidon got pretty decent reviews as far as I've seen. At least for the standard models. It's quite rigid and the QR Axle system works without any problem. The first tuning will be: A 180mm rear rotor for the disk and a tubeless conversion. I'd say either go comp and replace/tune over time or go pro.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks heaps for the info. I'm an XT brake fan, too. Nice to hear that the stock brakes use mineral oil. I like that. I'll check out some reviews of the other sized Raidons. Hadn't actually thought of that. What size frame is yours? Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm 180cm and have the medium size. Could probably also fit the large size, but as a "hooligan" hardtail I opted for the smaller one.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Imre View Post
    I'm 180cm and have the medium size. Could probably also fit the large size, but as a "hooligan" hardtail I opted for the smaller one.
    yer definitely closer to a large than a medium. medium stops at about 5'10.

i'm a hair taller than you and large is a perfect fit. like perfect.

the pro looks like a great package. the dropper will be the 1st thing to go if i get the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm 6'7" so I'm looking at the XXL.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid_Android View Post
    I'm 6'7" so I'm looking at the XXL.
    no way dood yer totally a large, LOL!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    no way dood yer totally a large, LOL!
    Plus a 200mm stem

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    All the links to 6fattie content on the Specialized website are down and have been for about a week. Surely they don't take that long to fix?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Does anyone know if the wheelset on the Pro model includes a carbon rim or not? I think the Roval carbon rims have a weight limit that I'd exceed. Come on Specialized, get your website working!

banned
    Sep 2008
    Does anyone know if the wheelset on the Pro model includes a carbon rim or not? I think the Roval carbon rims have a weight limit that I'd exceed. Come on Specialized, get your website working!
    at 3100 retail i'd highly doubt it

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    at 3100 retail i'd highly doubt it
    That's what i figured, but it's $4000 in Australian currency and the dealer wasn't able to answer the question. Thanks, I think you're right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My Fuse Expert arrived today. I rode it the 1.5km from the bike shop to home but that's all I've done so far. Very excited! I planned to buy the Pro model but there was a very long wait for my XXL size so I went with the mid-range. I would have loved the red colour of the Pro but black is nice. I'm staying up late to admire it and fit some fancy bits (man time) before I hit the trails tomorrow. The Specialized SWAT hardware is really cool. The multitool bottle cage and top cap chain breaker were standard on the Pro but the Expert didn't even have a basic water bottle cage. Overall the spec is adequate but not amazing for the price. I'm hoping it's all durable and functional. The 1 x drivetrain with wide range 10-speed cassette is nice to have.

The shock of riding a hard tail with awful flat pedals (now swapped for XTR Race) was so big I didn't really even get a sense of the tyres. It's been so long since I rode flats that I literally leapt into the air trying to bunnyhop. Very embarrassing. That and I was riding on the tarmac in jeans and dress shirt.

I'll get some photos and ride reports up soon if anyone is interested?
    Last edited by Paranoid_Android; 07-25-2015 at 03:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have the Comp model as well. Was concerned about the fork, but it is actually really nice! I have been riding mine for about a month and have been riding it hard...hitting little jumps and rock gardens. I'm 220lbs and have not bottomed this thing out at all. The rebound works well also. No problems at all. Love the way the quick release is set up...way better then on the Expert. Dropper post is great...I like it much better then my older command post. Switched out the bar to Raceface Atlas and also XT brakes. I think my favorite thing about the bike is the slack head angle and 120mm of travel...makes this bike so much fun. I actually sold my Fatboy because this bike is so much faster and fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No issues with the post dropping/bouncing?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-29/speci...l#post12106977

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I haven't noticed it bouncing or anything. I use it a lot on the trails here in the Northeast. After I put it back up and ride for a minute or so I usually just stand and hit it again and sometimes it will raise the littlest bit. But it's not an issue. My last command post was much worse...only had three levels and was a pain to get locked in. The Tranz post is smoother and will stop wherever. If I were to switch it I would go with a Reverb or the newer command post...I heard it's much better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the info. Different experience to mine. I heard the same of the new command post. I couldn't imagine anything a lot worse than the Tranzx. No adjustment. Quite difficult to compress. The last inch is vey difficult. And generally not smooth to use. A very mechanical high-friction feel. I've only ever used a KS LEV and the standard Giant dropper posts and it doesn't compare. It feels like it won't last more than a few months of riding/washing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I gotcha. My experience has been good so far probably because I'm coming tro

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sorry...message got cut off. Like I was saying...my experience has been good so far probably because I was coming from the old command post. You have used much smoother setups so it makes sense. I'll probably change mine out eventually. Upgrade to XT's and run the wheels tubeless at 14psi...and this thing is a little ripper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hi jbarton, how heavy your Fuse Comp is?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My XXL Expert is 30pounds. The smaller sizes would have to be a fair bit lighter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    My XXL Expert is 30pounds. The smaller sizes would have to be a fair bit lighter.
    Thanks!

wmb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I got to demo a Fuse comp today. Temps and weather was perfect. Didn't know Specialized had any 3" tired bikes. Anyhow, short ride about 20 minutes. Let some air out of the tires and rode them still a bit over inflated for me. The fork had too much air?? for me. Too small, rode med, needed a large. I'm 5'10" with long legs. I really liked it! It seemed relaxed on the down hills and lots of traction and grip on the turns and uphills. Very easy to flick it around. I am now scheming on how to get one of these in the Expert.
    Background- 175lbs, 54 yrs, riding full rigid 1x9 Karate Monkey with 2.4 Ardent front and 2.2 Ardent rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    OMG! Lighter than my 15.5" 29er Gravity point2!

That I bought for a mix of commuting and bombing around on parents farm. This year I did 7 mtb races 9 ish miles, and..... it was work! Also at 5'8" I really fight the entry level 29er. I thought I'd jump into a 27.5 hardtail. At the moment choices are Giant talon or Raleigh Tokul 4 or 3 (Tokul 4 is mrsp $1600, same as Fuse comp.)

However seeing how most of my riding time is not spent racing, but rather just fun. Plus I love riding on snow. The 27+ makes more sense and more fun.

However "Fun" is a relative term, due to recovering from late stage lyme disease. If pushing a 27+ is work then the "fun" factor dwindles. Recovery is slow.

Lets just say a 9ish mile race and pushing my boat anchor 29 hard, recovery was about a week. :-/

How much heavier is the Comp than the Expert?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Apologies but I'm not sure of the exact weight difference model-to-model. Sorry to hear about the medical condition. But it's great to hear you're riding hard and kicking ass. It's certainly a really fun, versatile bike. The long top tube and slack head angle, combined with the super wide tyres are certainly the modern definition of a "fun" bike. There's a little drag with the tyres compared to a 2" tyre XC bike but definitely far less than I imagined. It's an all-round fun machine. Try to get a trial ride somehow. Good luck, buddy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wmb View Post
    The fork had too much air?
    The air chart for the fork is way too high in my opinion. You can run it far lower. I emailed the manufacturer to ask about it but they had no clue. Forget the air chart and stick with trial and error.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The only significant difference between the comp and the expert in terms of weight might be the fork. I haven't seen weights for the Manitou, but the Raidon is about 1.5 pounds heavier than the entry level Rockshox Recon. I'd be more interested in fork performance in making the decision, however.

With the Scraper rims, the fork weight isn't going to be the thing riding you out. Be sure to set it up tubeless right away. You'll get that 1.5-pound savings where it matters most.

If you really want to go lighter on the fork, you can get a BOOST Reba for under $500 and save 2.5 pounds on the Suntour, in addition to having a proven commodity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have the Fuse Comp and love riding it. So far, I have added a wider carbon bar (Niner RDO) and made it tubeless. The bike rides much faster than you would think, from just lifting it at the store.

The stock Suntour fork is ok (but usable), but I plan on upgrading it as more high end 27.5+ forks hit the market (dreaming of a Pike 27.5+).

I like to upgrade my bikes, so the comp works for me, plus the metallic Red paint is really nice.

Don't know if I could ever go back to a 2.3 tire MTB again, traded for awhile yesterday with my GF on singletrack (her bike: 2016 Spec. STJ FSR carbon Expert) and while it's a very nice bike, I felt like I was riding a cross bike.

In the end, the Fuse is a very FUN bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=phride;12221127]The only significant difference between the comp and the expert in terms of weight might be the fork. I haven't seen weights for the Manitou, but the Raidon is about 1.5 pounds heavier than the entry level Rockshox Recon. I'd be more interested in fork performance in making the decision, however.

With the Scraper rims, the fork weight isn't going to be the thing riding you out. Be sure to set it up tubeless right away. You'll get that 1.5

Hello. I am in process of purchasing Fuse Comp. I see you can get the Boost Reba for around $450. I am very interested in the weight savings. How about performance of the shock and should I get 110 or 120 option? I would assume 120mm option but not sure if there any minuses to greater travel? Any feedback would be appreciated. I am avid cyclist but ride road 95% of time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ????????
    why would you base fork vs fork performance over weight? (btw what ever weight savings tubeless gives you, applies to any bike/fork).
    how much bike performance comes from the front end being light? Enough that many guys sacrifice suspension and go rigid?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclinglymie View Post
    ????????
    why would you base fork vs fork performance over weight? (btw what ever weight savings tubeless gives you, applies to any bike/fork).
    how much bike performance comes from the front end being light? Enough that many guys sacrifice suspension and go rigid?

Sorry. Not sure I follow this. Would Boost Reba be a good upgrade compared to Suntour Fork?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Look mom! I scored a goal, because I moved the goal post. can I have a trophy for participating now?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Sorry. Not sure I follow this. Would Boost Reba be a good upgrade compared to Suntour Fork?
    The Reba is a nice fork, but it might not be a performance upgrade. I was considering the Comp plus a fork upgrade myself, but didn't go with the Fuse. There are other options, too, and more by the day, as more BOOST field are released. I'd post your question in the suspension sub-forum.

mtbr member
    Hello. I am in process of purchasing Fuse Comp. I see you can get the Boost Reba for around $450. I am very interested in the weight savings. How about performance of the shock and should I get 110 or 120 option? I would assume 120mm option but not sure if there any minuses to greater travel? Any feedback would be appreciated. I am avid cyclist but ride road 95% of time.
    If your gonna drop 450 right away, you may as well just get the Expert Fuse. The Manitou is stiff and rides well. Plus you get better components.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hello from Holland! I bought the Fuse Comp today. I get it delivered next week. I had a fatboy but I wanted something else.. after a testride I was convinced..

I first want to try al the components such as brakes/drivetrain and fork before I upgrade. I read that some of you made it tubeless. Can you just put in a valve and some Stan's? Or do you have to put in rim tape?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Hi , from Belgium. I'm 5'.6" with a 31" inseam , wich size should i get ,Smll or Med ? I'm hoping to demo one in the near future , but have to reserve a size in advance and if i'm confined with the size i can buy this demo bike with some discount . (demobike will be new)

bipedal

Small Fuse for 5'6" rider

Mrs levity is also 5'6" tall with a 31" inseam, and she's happy with the fit of her Small Fuse. With her set up the distance from the center of the bottom bracket to top of the seat is 26.5" with 9" of seatpost showing (distance from the top of seat clamp to the top of seat rail).

A Medium could work but you'd probably be a bit strecthed out reaching the bars. I'd guess a Medium is best for someone ~5'9" tall. I'm 6' and like the fit of my Large Fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Christ D View Post
    Hi , from Belgium. I'm 5'.6" with a 31" inseam , wich size should i get ,Smll or Med ? I'm hoping to demo one in the near future , but have to reserve a size in advance and if i'm confined with the size i can buy this demo bike with some discount . (demobike will be new)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    Mrs levity is also 5'6" tall with a 31" inseam, and she's happy with the fit of her Small Fuse. With her set up the distance from the center of the bottom bracket to top of the seat is 26.5" with 9" of seatpost showing (distance from the top of seat clamp to the top of seat rail).

A Medium could work but you'd probably be a bit strecthed out reaching the bars. I'd guess a Medium is best for someone ~5'9" tall. I'm 6' and like the fit of my Large Fuse.
    Thanks , helps alot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm 5'6 with 29-30 inseam and bought a medium and have no trouble with tight turning. These bikes come with short stems. The standover is a little high, but the small is not much lower. Also realize that size small comes with less travel on the front fork and shorter cranks. With the low bottom bracket, the shorter cranks may be a good idea if you ride technical terrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Not sure if this was mentioned yet, was at the LBS today to finally check one of these out and they are speccing the purgatory tire up front, with a ground control rear tire now.
    purgatory appears to be a bit more aggressive tread and an overall better tire IMO. super cool rig, only decision now is the color as they have all 4 of the comp avail in my size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    That is how our FUSE pro came spec'd. Purg front GC rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Bumping the thread. Everybody still happy with their Fuse? I'm coming from a full suspension 26" trail bike, and along with the ever-rocky trails of the northeast, am a little concerned about going back to a hardtail, even with the 3" tire. But I love the idea of this bike, especially since the comp can be had for just $1600.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ride NNJ and have a Fuse expert.
    The low bottom bracket (-58mm) and 175mm cranks does cause me some problems with climbing technical trails. The stock Ground Control tires weep sealant constantly and have what I perceive to be quite a bit of rolling resistance. The Manitou Magnum is a 34mm very burly and capable fork, but I am still trying to find the right pressure to make it more plush. The Scraper rims make for a wide stable tire platform but are a bit heavy. Overall, the weight is more than I want and it is a little hard for me to heft it up rocks steps. I ride FS bike as well and in comparison find the rear of the Fuse very well behaved on descents. With the right tire pressure comfortable. I feel no want for a SJ 6 Fatty. I have compared the geometry of many of the B+ hard tails and still find the fuse to be a good pick with the Scott Scale equal. To do it over, top Scale or Fuse pro model.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-XC-Justin View Post
    Bumping the thread. Everybody still happy with their Fuse? I'm coming from a full suspension 26" trail bike, and along with the ever-rocky trails of the northeast, am a little concerned about going back to a hardtail, even with the 3" tire. But I love the idea of this bike, especially since the comp can be had for just $1600.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I was going to try and buy my old BMC full suspension, 26". LBS said I was out of the game too long and don't buy my old bike back. They sold me on 29 or 27.5+, which after much review I took home a fuse expert. Took a few rides to get airpressures right, I like 18.5 rear, 17.5 front. The book for the fork is worthless....I yanked the tubes and switched to 1x11 XO.

I really like the bike....can hit roots or rocks and tire just rolls....good climber and I don't find it any less efficient or fast compared to my BMC....in fact it may be faster....my bike comes in right at 30lbs btw.

Great bang for the buck, very happy....and I don't see why folks say 27.5+ is for beginners...I have been riding/racing for 20 years and this bike is not limiting me as a beginner bike

Cons so far, pedal strikes much more often than my BMC.....MANITOU made the quick release much harder than needed....

I love the bike, hope 27.5+ grows so more accessories and options are available

My next upgrade may be to maxxis rekon/ikons

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have had mine 2 weeks, only issue is the rear tire leaking sealant which is a giant pain. The front tire is a purgatory and have had no issues at all with, the rear tire is a ground control and its leaks sealant like a sieve. Gonna work on it this weekend to sort it out, but may just swap it out for with a purgatory. I concur that the rims are a bit heavy, but all in all i love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-XC-Justin View Post

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Just bought one today (being friends with the store manager got me the "mon chum" discount, of course it didn't hurt that they only had the one, it was a size I could work with, and that'd had not so much of a test ride out of any other customers for it in three months didn't hurt).

30.64 pounds with some generic alloy platform pedals and switching to specialized contour xc locking grips after I got it home and onto my scale for a size large. I'm mid-way through the part changings now and just dashing off to buy a new pair of clipless pedals in a model I've come to like. I'll return to edit this later to produce the detailed weights of things changed from and to, but quickly...the stock tires are just under 2kg for the pair, and the stock tubes are about 285g each. I've switched to Vee Trax Fatty 120TPI Silica 3.25s setup tubeless. Stock tires were 75.8mm on the WTB Scraper rims (which come with notubes tape already), and the Vee's inflated to 20.1 psi and left for an hour were 78.2mm, which is less than the claimed 83 but the Vee's have more of their 8 inch bead to bead taken up by sidewall height than the 7.25 B2B of the Specialized Ground Control & Purgatory tires.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Meeeeeeeep
    I bought a medium Fuse Pro about 3 months ago after a impulse test ride on a local trail. The bike is super fun and the extra travel and float of the tires is pretty awesome. The only downside to the bike is the weight and the dropper post.

It was actually a rental at the LBS so I got it with a big discount. Fist thing I did was put a different saddle on and a pair of carbon Chromag bars and stem. I tried setting up the tires as tubeless but the rear kept leaking.

The bike has held up really well with some very aggressive riding on rocky and root-filled trails. I started with low pressure around 15psi but the bouncyness was really annoying and there was a little too much give in hard corners. I've been riding around 18-20psi since then and it gives a really good balance between traction and rolling resistance.

The Manitou Magnum Comp 120mm fork is pretty decent. It's very stiff and pretty plush but doesn't have the best high speed compression and rebound, it tends to dive under hard breaking on break bumps and other rougher spots. It's also a little heavy at 2250g. The Expert Fuse would be worth it for the much lighter 1850g Reba which also has a better damper.

I just splurged a bit and got some upgrades coming in the mail:
    - Rockshox Pike 140mm
    - Easton Arc 30 rims on Speed Tuned super 6 hubs
    - WTB Ranger 2.8 tires
    - X-Fusion Hilo 150mm dropper post

At stock the bike weighs 30.5lbs (13.8kgs). With all the upgrades I should be able to cut off about 3.3lbs (1.5kgs). The biggest weight saver is the tires. The stock Specialized ground control 3.0 are 200g heavier than the WTB Ranger 2.8, which are a bit smaller. The wheelset is also a huge weight saver of about 500g but is again much smaller.

Interestingly the Pike 140mm 27.5+/29 boost axle to crown length is the same as the Manitou Magnum Comp 120mm. I believe the same goes for the Rockshox Yari fork. So you get more travel but the nice low-bottom bracket height stays the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclinglymie View Post
    OMG! Lighter than my 15.5" 29er Gravity point2!

That I bought for a mix of commuting and bombing around on parents farm. This year I did 7 mtb races 9 ish miles, and..... it was work! Also at 5'8" I really fight the entry level 29er. I thought I'd jump into a 27.5 hardtail. At the moment choices are Giant talon or Raleigh Tokul 4 or 3 (Tokul 4 is mrsp $1600, same as Fuse comp.)

However seeing how most of my riding time is not spent racing, but rather just fun. Plus I love riding on snow. The 27+ makes more sense and more fun.

However "Fun" is a relative term, due to recovering from late stage lyme disease. If pushing a 27+ is work then the "fun" factor dwindles. Recovery is slow.

Lets just say a 9ish mile race and pushing my boat anchor 29 hard, recovery was about a week. :-/

How much heavier is the Comp than the Expert?
    How's the 650b plus bike on snow? I have a fatbike now but it doesn't snow a lot here in Southwest CT. Really looking at the Specialized Comp for some light snow and wet weather condition riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gottarex View Post
    How's the 650b plus bike on snow? I have a fatbike now but it doesn't snow a lot here in Southwest CT. Really looking at the Specialized Comp for some light snow and wet weather condition riding.
    I have the Fuse Comp in Vermont, and it does surprisingly well in 6" or less of snow. In fact, I'm going out in :30 to enjoy our new snow!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does anyone know if/how I can swap out the front sprocket on my 2015 Fuse Comp for a sprocket with -1 tooth? My local trail starts off with an absolutely killer climb, and I'd like to gear down a bit for a hope at making it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarbushrider1 View Post
    I have the Fuse Comp in Vermont, and it does surprisingly well in 6" or less of snow. In fact, I'm going out in :30 to enjoy our new snow!
    That's great to hear, please post some pics after your ride. Thanks

bipedal
    Does anyone know if/how I can swap out the front sprocket on my 2015 Fuse Comp for a sprocket with -1 tooth? My local trail starts off with an absolutely killer climb, and I'd like to gear down a bit for a hope at making it.
    You'll need to drop two teeth (or at least an even number). 1x chainrings are the "narrow-wide" type with alternating narrow and wide teeth designed to specifically engage the narrow and wide sections of the chain links. Try moving your chain one tooth on the chainring and you'll see.

That, and dropping two teeth will lower the gear ratio more significantly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You'll need to drop two teeth (or at least an even number). 1x chainrings are the "narrow-wide" type with alternating narrow and wide teeth designed to specifically engage the narrow and wide sections of the chain links. Try moving your chain one tooth on the chainring and you'll see.

That, and dropping two teeth will lower the gear ratio more significantly.
    Awesome, thanks! I'm very familiar with gearing and such, being a moto-nut. Do you know where to get a different front sprocket? I cannot find it. I've been mountain biking for 20+ years but have done very little in the way of upgrading my bicycles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gottarex View Post
    That's great to hear, please post some pics after your ride. Thanks
    Well, last night's ride was interesting! We had some real wet snow/sleet on the ground, and setting off with 17.5psi as usual was too high. I dropped it to ~10psi and it handled much better on the trail. No pictures as it was dark, rainy and windy and I had to keep warm! I will say, over the past few years, I've owned a Stumpjumper and a Reign, and the Fuse is the most fun. The Reign was certainly better on the downhills, but overall the fuse makes me want to ride it more than the others.

bipedal
    Awesome, thanks! I'm very familiar with gearing and such, being a moto-nut. Do you know where to get a different front sprocket? I cannot find it. I've been mountain biking for 20+ years but have done very little in the way of upgrading my bicycles.
    Most shops carry a range of chainrings and should be able to advise you. Changing rings is easy, requiring about 10-15 min. Not knowing the exact make/model of cranks on your bike I can't say what will fit. If you have to or want to order online SRAM and Raceface make a number of different narrow-wide 1x rings (direct and spider mounted), and aftermarket manufacturers like Wolftooth and Absolute Black make a variety of rings with different chainline offsets for different mounts. Google is your friend. FYI, SRAM rings have a rep of being soft and wearing quickly (my experience as well).