Specialized Fuse 6fattie recommend upgrades- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Specialized Fuse 6fattie recommend upgrades

Just picked one up as on sale have a few $ left over to spend. Its Expert model.

I see reading forums bottom brackets might be something to replace.

What else should I look at doing while I have the cash. Only thing I dont want to do is fork. Find that good for my needs and already gone tubeless.
    Mines running Sram GX Type 2.1, 10 speed. and Sram DB3 brakes.

Im riding a XXL and big rider. Find dropper post pretty average and after 1 ride it already feels like it not stable when climbing hills. Seems to move slightly.
    Donít want to go crazy on gear but being bigger rider want it to be bullet proof much as possible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I bought the comp, but have upgraded to the following:

RockShox Yari 120mm
    Cane Creek 40 series head set
    RT86 Icetech 180mm rotors front and rear
    Shimano XT Brakes
    Renthal Apex 60mm stem
    RaceFace atlas bars
    Tubeless conversion

Next will almost definitely be either a full wheel set or at least upgrading the rear hub. I'll probably do tires before Fall really kicks in as well because the ground controls do not like wet ground, on hard pack I love them. I will likely also do the bottom bracket as it's starting to make some noise. I'm a bigger rider too (>240) and so far, haven't had any issues with the dropper. It has some side to side slop, but nothing major and nothing that I feel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hoe do you like the xt brakes, and did you need many adapters? Been looking to upgrade

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by baitdragger View Post
    Hoe do you like the xt brakes, and did you need many adapters? Been looking to upgrade
    Love the xt brakes. The m8000 have slightly more modulation than the previous generation but still have a very instant bite point

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    And yes, needed the appropriate 180mm adapter as the frame and fork were built for 160 mm rotors

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Think brakes and rotors will be one of my first updates as well. But not sure if ill go with XT or Guide RS yet. Seems depends who you talk to what is best. Might just come down to price for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit91MS View Post
    And yes, needed the appropriate 180mm adapter as the frame and fork were built for 160 mm rotors

Did you need anything to mount the right brake lever to your sram shifter? Stock I have sram brake and shifter adapter piece to marry the 2

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The only thing stock on my Fuse is the Frame and dropper. The dropper will be swapped in a couple months. If I had to order upgrades geared toward an aggressive rider....

1) seat, stem, bars, and grips (dial in those egos first and foremost)
    2) Rear hub/wheel set. That rear hub gave me problems from week 1
    3) BB and Headset bearings. They are some cheapo bearings. Get some nice ones
    4) Fork. A nice fork like a Fox34 or a RS Pike or Yari
    5) Every thing else either as you feel like buying it or it wears out.

Oh, and I'd put new tires somewhere between 0 and 2 on that list. The stock tires are fine for tame XC type of stuff. I found that when I tried to push them, my 26x2.5" Minions offered more edge grip. That, and the casing leaves a little to be desired in terms of durability.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by baitdragger View Post
    Did you need anything to mount the right brake lever to your sram shifter? Stock I have sram brake and shifter adapter piece to marry the 2
    My shifter has a separate mount. You'd likely either need the stand alone sram mount for the shifter or a problem solvers for the new I spec ii(?) mount.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Total novice to wrenching on bikes here(first post so bear with me)....

Iíve scoured the web for which adapter to buy for the front and rear brakes while still using the DB3 calipers and think i figured it out but wanted to check before placing an order.

IS to post +40mm for rear to install 180mm rotors?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    so if everyone is swapping out all these parts. Why isn't the base model more popular?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tortuga67 View Post
    so if everyone is swapping out all these parts. Why isn't the base model more popular?
    because the base, and even the sport don't use the same frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    what is different about the frame besides a few ounces lighter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tortuga67 View Post
    what is different about the frame besides a few ounces lighter?
    different aluminum, M4 vs. A1. Different chain stay design. quick release vs. thru-axle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have the same year and model of fuse as you. The first 'upgrades' you should do will be free if you have a pot of grease lying around.

Grease the rear hub, bottom bracket, and headset. My hub bearings had a very thin layer on them and fell out when I took the axle out, which means that they had little to no grease on them... bad. The axle was totally dry too. Lots of people have had problems with the Stout rear hubs so this should save you some trouble. Have not gotten around to bottom bracket and headset yet but will do those today. Steel Calf here was nice enough to post about this in the Fuse thread.

As far as upgrades go, I would see how the wheels hold up to your use before you start spending money. They have kind of low spoke count, 24h front, 28h rear. I've heard a lot of positive things about Nextie carbon in the Fuse thread, might want to check those out as well.

As far as XTs vs Guides go, I would avoid guides simply to the amount of warranty work I have seen come into the shop. They are good brakes and SRAM is great to work with, so they will have you covered if something goes wrong, so it's up to you whether the feel of the Guides is worth the possibility of being out of commission for a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Also I recommend lubricating the freehub with some Phil Wood Tenacious oil.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Hello
    Just picked up a brand new old stock, Comp Carbon 2018 27.5+. Was going to buy the 2020 Kona Honzo DL, and actually ordered it last Saturday. Went back on Sunday and took delivery on the fattie. rode the bike home, 8.4 miles on the street. Feels awesome, had them take the tubes out, tubeless now. And the dropper was damaged, so they upgraded me to the Command Post IR CC 125mm.

Question is it's a 11 speed, all GX parts, would like 12 speed, should I just wait till I wear out the 11 speed stuff and upgrade to the 12 GX Eagle Groupset, or get the ethirteen Components TRS Plus 12 Speed Upgrade kit now?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fuse 6fattie recommend upgrades-comp-2018.jpg