Specialized Fuse 6Fattie - Page 18- Mtbr.com
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 1,701 to 1,758 of 1758
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
    I'd like to get more travel and a significantly plusher ride than the stock Reba RC3 120mm fork on my 2016 Fuse Pro provides.

Is going to a 150mm fork going to slacken the Fuse too much? I go through the Reba's entire 120mm travel at least a few times every time I ride the chunky NW trails in my neck of the woods.

Am considering either a 150mm Pike RTC or a DVO Diamond. Minimum travel of either fork is 150mm, deals can be found on both. I understand that DVO's Sapphire can be adjusted to produce 130mm of travel and it's kinda light too, but I can't justify spending $900+ on a fork for my Fuse and the Pike and Diamond can be found for far less $$$.

Do the experts recommend a pro service for the Reba - or should I go ahead & get a more substantial fork?
    A few posts up we discuss running the auron fork in 27.5Ē size on 3.0Ē tires set to 150mm. The lower axle crown supports this fork perfectly at near stock geo extended and is adjustable for travel 130 to 160mm with a spacer change internally.

35mm too with high low speed compression and rebound. Great fork. Its what i run!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Adding 2 bottomless tokens to the Reba and running more sag will make the fork feel softer and bottom out less. I run a 29er 140mm Pike on mine and still had to add tokens to get a soft ride with bottom out support. That said, I think the bike handles better with the 140mm fork and the stem slammed vs the stock 120 setup.

mtbr member
    I installed a Fox Factory 34 Step cast. Sworks carbon dh bars. 77 designs 36mm stem. XX1 eagle crank. Some Ethirteen TRSr carbon race 27.5xi31 wheels should be here tomorrow. Probably run 27.5x2.6 butcher/slaughter to start. Pretty excited to see the final weight. I think it will be a fun setup...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo 1971 View Post
    I installed a Fox Factory 34 Step cast. Sworks carbon dh bars. 77 designs 36mm stem. XX1 eagle crank. Some Ethirteen TRSr carbon race 27.5xi31 wheels should be here tomorrow. Probably run 27.5x2.6 butcher/slaughter to start. Pretty excited to see the final weight. I think it will be a fun setup...
    Pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by lo@nRider View Post
    Adding 2 bottomless tokens to the Reba and running more sag will make the fork feel softer and bottom out less. I run a 29er 140mm Pike on mine and still had to add tokens to get a soft ride with bottom out support. That said, I think the bike handles better with the 140mm fork and the stem slammed vs the stock 120 setup.
    Iím going to give this a shot, I donít feel the fork is plush enough and I am not prepared to plunk down the $$ for a MRP Ramp Control cartridge. Iím kind of a set it and forget it guy and ride the same network of trails mostly, so I think once I dial in the air pressure/sag and figure the right amount of tokens, I suppose Iíll be good.

Iím riding weight of about 190 and have the air pressure set below the recoíd amount and still think itís too stiff/not enough sag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Dont be a set it and forget it guy. You leave so much control and performance on the table. Check your tire pressure and fork pressure often. Dont be afraid to turn yout clickers. Write down the settings. Try stuff. It will just make your whole experience better. Also as you oil gets old it gets thinner. You will chase you settings over time. You will be more aware and know when it is time for an oil change. I dont mean to preach. But You will be amazed at the performance you gain and the knowledge you gain.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Dont be a set it and forget it guy. You leave so much control and performance on the table. Check your tire pressure and fork pressure often. Dont be afraid to turn yout clickers. Write down the settings. Try stuff. It will just make your whole experience better. Also as you oil gets old it gets thinner. You will chase you settings over time. You will be more aware and know when it is time for an oil change. I dont mean to preach. But You will be amazed at the performance you gain and the knowledge you gain.
    My post came out wrong, yes I do check tire pressure religiously (especially since I am trying to dial it in) as well as fork air pressure, etc. Even mid-ride in the "getting-to-know-you" phase! I just meant I'm not the constant suspension tinkerer and don't change settings like bottom out based on the trail I am riding when I am out. The MRP Ramp Cartridge looks like a great innovation, but I doubt I'd be constantly clicking it back and forth because of sections of trail, so I think getting the correct # of token and my sag set so I can have a little more plushness and more control of bottom out will make me happy. $18 vs. $150 is a pretty easy decision, but if I feel the need to start changing it often I'd probably make the investment.

What I am not going to do is drop $900 on a new fork right out of the gate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    New wheels going in DT xm 551 laced to 370 hubs butcher/ slaughter 2.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    My post came out wrong, yes I do check tire pressure religiously (especially since I am trying to dial it in) as well as fork air pressure, etc. Even mid-ride in the "getting-to-know-you" phase! I just meant I'm not the constant suspension tinkerer and don't change settings like bottom out based on the trail I am riding when I am out. The MRP Ramp Cartridge looks like a great innovation, but I doubt I'd be constantly clicking it back and forth because of sections of trail, so I think getting the correct # of token and my sag set so I can have a little more plushness and more control of bottom out will make me happy. $18 vs. $150 is a pretty easy decision, but if I feel the need to start changing it often I'd probably make the investment.

What I am not going to do is drop $900 on a new fork right out of the gate.
    I misunderstood. I would not normally pop for a different fork. The Fox 34 sc is kinda what I built my bike around. This thing is amazing. Its still a little weird being back on a hardtail. I find myself whith the front end in the air and jumping every little thing! Sooooo fun.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I would not normally pop for a different fork.
    I wasnít directing that towards you, was just a general observation. Most forums answer to any fork question about a stock fork is just ďsell it and buy XXX fork, they are so much betterĒ....last time I checked a take-off fork doesnít typically get much on the used market, even in like new condition! I think the REBA will be fine for me, I got a couple of bottomless tokens in it and dropped the pressure and I can tell a difference. I am considering doing the Charger2 damper upgrade, I had Charger in my last Pike and the adjustability was nice. But still thatís only $230, much more palatable than a whole fork swap.

Now I just need my bruised tail bone to heal so Iím not in agony over every bump...

mtbr member
    I sold my reba for $375 as a new take off. I did not want a 32mm fork. I find them flexy. I am 205 and like to hit aggressive trails. Picked up the Fox 43 sc new second hand. $750. I would have put a standard 34 but the sc is 1 oz lighter than my Reba. I kinda built the bike around the fork. It is killer.

mtbr member
    Half thinking I should have opted for the standard 34 in 140mm travel. I have bottomes this about once per ride on average this weekend. Other than that it really is perfect so far.

mtbr member
    Added another token. It is getting better!

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Hey, for anyone riding a Fuse Carbon (hopefully size medium), what is the longest drop seatpost youíve gotten in there, and what brand? While the Trans-X that came with mine is fine, itís only 100mm drop. Iíd really like something 150-ish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hey, for anyone riding a Fuse Carbon (hopefully size medium), what is the longest drop seatpost youíve gotten in there, and what brand? While the Trans-X that came with mine is fine, itís only 100mm drop. Iíd really like something 150-ish.
    Not riding a carbon but Iím sure itís the same seat tube length as alloy I currently have a PNW Bachelor 150

mtbr member
    I am in the same boat. I intend to order a PNW Bachelor in 34.9 to get rid of the dumb shim. For my leg length it will be fully inserted. I am on a medium. I am 5'9". PNW gives good advice on measuring for a longer dropper on the website.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I am in the same boat. I intend to order a PNW Bachelor in 34.9 to get rid of the dumb shim. For my leg length it will be fully inserted. I am on a medium. I am 5'9". PNW gives good advice on measuring for a longer dropper on the website.
    TBH I didnít realize there was a shim in there...itís a 34.9 seatpost?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    TBH I didnít realize there was a shim in there...itís a 34.9 seatpost?
    No itís not itís a 30.9

mtbr member
    Yes. Take a look. They intended to spec a 34.9 post. They were not ready in time. So they put in a shim. Just a terrible move imho.

Just A Mountain Biker.

Specialized Fuse 6Fattie

I know the post that comes in there is a 30.9, but Gonzo mentioned getting rid of the shim?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I know the post that comes in there is a 30.9, but Gonzo mentioned getting rid of the shim?
    I think his referring to the shim on the dropper to adjust the travel

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassballer150 View Post
    I think his referring to the shim on the dropper to adjust the travel

Well that would be ideal but I donít think that is what he means...he specifically said he was going to get a 34.9mm post and remove the shim. Iíll have to take a look. The bike is so awesome as it is, that one little detail just holds it back.

mtbr member
    No. There is a shim in the SEAT TUBE. Seat tube is 34.9. The post is 30.9 so a shim is required on the carbon model. A 34.9 seatpost will eliminate this.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I just looked at the spec of the 2019 carbon and M-XXL all get 150mm Trans-X post so I know it will fit...but it is still listed as a 30.9 post. I know 34.9 isnít offered across a bunch of brands yet, Iíll have to do some research.

mtbr member
    Pnw does have one. Specialized has the Wu droper in 34.9

Just A Mountain Biker.
    For those of you that have stepped down from the stock Spesh 3.0's to a Maxxis Rekon 2.8 (or really any 2.8 tire), how much BB drop have you experienced and did it increase pedal strikes noticeably? It's an expensive experiment, so hoping someone has tried it and can give feedback.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    For those of you that have stepped down from the stock Spesh 3.0's to a Maxxis Rekon 2.8 (or really any 2.8 tire), how much BB drop have you experienced and did it increase pedal strikes noticeably? It's an expensive experiment, so hoping someone has tried it and can give feedback.

Thanks!
    Since I've switched out the 3.0 Ground Control tires for 2.8 Butcher & Purgatory, I haven't noticed additional pedal strikes - but the ride in the rear is harsher with reduced roll-over and reduced traction. I'm digging the Butcher 2.8 up front, steering feels more precise, but for the trails I ride, a 2.8 rear doesn't provide enough cushion, I'm going to try a 3.0 Purgatory in back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
    Since I've switched out the 3.0 Ground Control tires for 2.8 Butcher & Purgatory, I haven't noticed additional pedal strikes - but the ride in the rear is harsher with reduced roll-over and reduced traction. I'm digging the Butcher 2.8 up front, steering feels more precise, but for the trails I ride, a 2.8 rear doesn't provide enough cushion, I'm going to try a 3.0 Purgatory in back.
    I might try that combo

mtbr member
    I am running 27.5x2.6 and have had no issues.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Iíd love to see a pic or two. I canít imagine how low a 2.6 makes that BB, but maybe I am wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Is it fairly rooty/rocky where you ride? Before I went to 2.8's a guy at my shop who is very familiar with the Fuse warned me off 2.6's, said I'd have bottom bracket strikes.

mtbr member
    Its not rocky here at all. With my stumpjumper I had tons of pedal strikes. Even with 3.0" tires. This has been no issue on the fuse. Even the 2.6 butcher drops the bb less than 1/4 inch. I do have some 2.8 Rocket Ron's I want to try. I kinda wish they were 2.6 as well. The butchers rip! A bit slow on the flats though. Not so fun on group rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    What chain guide are you guys running? I keep dropping chains

mtbr member
    Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-20190412_200141.jpg
    Like this? There goes the new. All rubbed off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190412_200141.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	1247672
    Itís coming off the chain ring super annoying

mtbr member
    That is stuck between the chainring and the frame. Had to walk out of the woods. Messed my paint up. Stupid sesign of the chainstay in that area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had 2. Both alloy with the cut out chainstays. Never had a chain come off.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Name:	20190412_200141.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	1247672
    I had a chain come off once but not with the eagle. Run a 28t upfront so i do notice its noisy w chain slap

is chain length correct?
    how many teeth is that? Looks like 32. That drops clearance alot. And raises chain up off the stay. Maybe try raising chain stay protector.

mtbr member
    I think it was a fluke. Yes the 32 tightens up clearance. I have spun out the 32! How can you design a bike that cant at least run a 34? Ridiculous. Had to take off the quick link to get it out. No serious damage. It did take off the paint. Chain was kinda stiff. Cold? I took it off washed it in mineral spirits. Let it dry. Busyed out the dumond tech lube. It has been great ever since.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi all, I just got a new wheelset. 40mm iw. Had been running the Purgatory's 3.0, what would be a similar 2.8 tire? The Purgatory's had great traction and grip for our area. Can't ride when it's wet, sticky mess. Anyone running the 2.8 Rekons by Maxxis?
    Thanks, MikeB

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WMBigs View Post
    Hi all, I just got a new wheelset. 40mm iw. Had been running the Purgatory's 3.0, what would be a similar 2.8 tire? The Purgatory's had great traction and grip for our area. Can't ride when it's wet, sticky mess. Anyone running the 2.8 Rekons by Maxxis?
    Thanks, MikeB
    I just switched to 2.6 butcher and itís great more traction then the Purgatory up front

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassballer150 View Post
    I just switched to 2.6 butcher and itís great more traction then the Purgatory up front

I canít even fathom the pedal strikes that going down to a 2.6 tire would cause. Wouldnít 2.8 be a better choice for a bike designed to be a ďplusĒ bike?

Can I get a side and clearance shot of one of these 2.6 conversions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The fuse was a 29er or 3.0" 27.5

If you want narrow go 29er.

We have a 2.8" rekon on one of our bikes and its so small compared to the 3.0" fattie

It also is on an i40 rim which is a great fit.

The 3.0" on i38 is a bit narrow and i prefer the i45 there. I ride both

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I think it was a fluke. Yes the 32 tightens up clearance. I have spun out the 32! How can you design a bike that cant at least run a 34? Ridiculous. Had to take off the quick link to get it out. No serious damage. It did take off the paint. Chain was kinda stiff. Cold? I took it off washed it in mineral spirits. Let it dry. Busyed out the dumond tech lube. It has been great ever since.
    Spun out as in hit top speed on the 32 x 10 combo. Thats moving!

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse6F View Post
    We have a 2.8" rekon on one of our bikes and its so small compared to the 3.0" fattie
    Could I get a side by side of the 2.8 Rekon and the 3.0 fattie tires? Maybe also a height comparison?

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Has anyone with a medium CARBON frame fitted a longer dropper post? If so, what was the total insertion into the frame length? Mine came with the 100mm version (2018) and would like to move up to a 150, but having a hard time finding out how deep into the frame I can go without running into issues. Looking at a CB Highline.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Could I get a side by side of the 2.8 Rekon and the 3.0 fattie tires? Maybe also a height comparison?

Will do tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Spun out as in hit top speed on the 32 x 10 combo. Thats moving!
    I'm also running a 32x10 setup, my GPS speedo says that I'm going about 43kmh when my legs won't go any faster

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Will do tomorrow.
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-002ff7d7-bca6-40ba-bd5d-2f6e3bab5243.jpgSpecialized Fuse 6Fattie-1bb58b16-a7d5-4c53-905a-60e52d513faa.jpg

Poor photo attempt. Recon 120mm vs auron 150mm.
    I40 and i45
    maybe close to 1000km on that purgatory
    might switch wheel to other fork for a more direct comparison

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Could we get a profile shot of the two tires. I have a new wheelset i40 and will likely get the 2.8 Rekons. Riding the Purgatory's now on i45's.

Just A Mountain Biker.

Name:	002FF7D7-BCA6-40BA-BD5D-2F6E3BAB5243.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	1248542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1BB58B16-A7D5-4C53-905A-60E52D513FAA.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	1248543

Poor photo attempt. Recon 120mm vs auron 150mm.
    I40 and i45
    maybe close to 1000km on that purgatory
    might switch wheel to other fork for a more direct comparison
    Yes, if you could put them both on the recon, that would probably give a little better idea. Also a height/profile comparison would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-b8cc2a25-0cc8-4f4a-ae42-3c227c74504c.jpgSpecialized Fuse 6Fattie-8ade5f61-a439-42f9-9ac6-aaddfdfa144c.jpgSpecialized Fuse 6Fattie-f13ca7fe-8f91-4afa-b73b-43b05c47d08d.jpg

Here are a couple pics. Auron fork. The 3.0" i lined up the front and back edge of the tire so your looking down the edge. The other two pics are the smaller tire. Rekon 2.8" on an i40

I think the purgatory weighs 1050gm. And rekon 780gm. Depends on the bike and your size if you want to loose the bbh.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Thank you for that! I certainly donít want to lose that much height. Itís a plus bike for a reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-f13ca7fe-8f91-4afa-b73b-43b05c47d08d.jpgSpecialized Fuse 6Fattie-b8cc2a25-0cc8-4f4a-ae42-3c227c74504c.jpg

center of axle to ground difference is 5/8"

purgatory 27.5" x 3.0 on i45
    rekon 27.5" x 2.8 on i40

Just A Mountain Biker.
    If anyone is curious, I popped for the Roval Traverse SL 38ís today as I had always wanted carbon wheels and the timing was right. I also decided to give the Fast Trak 2.8 tires a shot since I always liked them on XC bikes for where I ride, they were on the BOGO sale, and honestly my regular weekly riding loops just donít need super aggressive tires. Iím hoping these are the ticket, although at first impression they are much smaller than I expected. Waiting to see if they grow at full pressure overnight, plus a solid ride tomorrow night.

Overall, the bike lost 2.5lbs overall from the change. 1 pound was just in the tires, but the wheels accounted for the other 1.5lbs. Looking forward to getting out to ride them tomorrow night, and trying to figure out the appropriate pressures. I was at 13/15 on the purg/gc 3.0ís, so I think Iíll try 15/17 with the 2.8ís.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    So, carbon wheels make more of a difference that I would have thought they would. Between those and the Fast Trak 2.8ís, my Fuse Carbon really came alive tonight.

I was thinking to myself about it during the ride, trying to come up with a way to express the change: it rode more like a mountain bike and less like a fat bike.

I was originally disappointed in the size of those tires when I mounted them up, but they are so much faster on my home trails, and the Roval wheels just felt so precise. I need to keep working on my tire pressure to dial it in, but Iím really happy with the setup right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-image.jpgSold my 2016 Fuse Expert. Kicked myself til this:

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718