Specialized Fuse 6Fattie - Page 10- Mtbr.com
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 1,801 to 1,875 of 1875
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WvMTBC View Post
    what size bottom bracket do i Need? I am going to order the SRAM DUB BSA Bottom Bracket to go with the NX crankset for my 2018 specialized fuse comp.

THe size option for the bottom bracket at 68/73(one option) and 100mm(second option). Does the 68/73 fit the fuse body?
    Curious why are you changing your bottom bracket? Is it because it creaks?
    Is the SRAM DUB BSA threaded?
    I might have missed smthg you posted earlier, but if you're changing bb's, overall very good to go with threaded.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Doing an experiment with my fuse. I previously had a Santa Cruz Blur that I sold the frame but still had the components. A friend asked what the bike weighed and I noted it was about 25.2 with pedals (carbon frame, pike, 29s, XT/XTR build).

Then I started to think about what it would weigh if I swapped some parts.

I swapped:
    Pike for step cast 34
    GX cassette for TRS race
    2.6 rekon/minion SS for 2.35 forekasters
    Removed SWAT tool

Itís now down to 22.75 lb without pedals. The lowest I think I could get it down to is about 22 even by swapping cranks and going from XT to XTR brakes.

Pretty damn good for a trail geometry hard tail.
    2016 Hightower
    2017 Fuse
    2018 Tallboy

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
    Doing an experiment with my fuse. I previously had a Santa Cruz Blur that I sold the frame but still had the components. A friend asked what the bike weighed and I noted it was about 25.2 with pedals (carbon frame, pike, 29s, XT/XTR build).

Then I started to think about what it would weigh if I swapped some parts.

I swapped:
    Pike for step cast 34
    GX cassette for TRS race
    2.6 rekon/minion SS for 2.35 forekasters
    Removed SWAT tool

Itís now down to 22.75 lb without pedals. The lowest I think I could get it down to is about 22 even by swapping cranks and going from XT to XTR brakes.

Pretty damn good for a trail geometry hard tail.
    Funny you bring up weight, I got mine back from having the SRAM brakes replaced under warranty and my 90-day tune up, so my SWAT storage was empty and I decided to hang it up from the good old fishing scale for a true weight...26lbs, 14oz. Not terrible at all, and I am not running light tires or a light dropper, or really anything svelte except for the carbon frame and carbon Roval wheels. Standard GX Eagle drivetrain, Aeffect cranks, Helm Works 130 fork (almost 1lb heavier than the stock Reba), aluminum bars, lower end Shimano clipless pedals. If I really wanted to throw some money at it I could get it down closer to 25# but for right now I'm pretty stoked on it.

Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-img_5435.jpg
    Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-img_5434.jpg
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    My Fattie is a little less fat and getting a smoking new fork in the next week. Since I brought it up to BC from Phoenix and had 29" wheels built for it etc. I call it the 'BC Edition' like Rocky Mountain special builds. I'll post pics and details soon.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    My Fattie is a little less fat and getting a smoking new fork in the next week. Since I brought it up to BC from Phoenix and had 29" wheels built for it etc. I call it the 'BC Edition' like Rocky Mountain special builds. I'll post pics and details soon.
    Iím interested to hear more about your build...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    My 16 fuse frame is up for sale if anyone is interested, comes with fsa headset and wheels man BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downcountry AF
    Can I get some pics, info, feedback on taking a 27.5+ Fuse to a 29"er? There isn't a bunch of info on this thread (surprisingly) so I thought I would ask again. I have a 2018 Comp Carbon and would like to know how big of a rear tire I can get in there with minimal rubbing, is it a positive change, etc?

I know the stats say it will take up to a 2.3/2.5 tire, but with so many being undersized will it take a Specialized 2.6? Or a Maxxis Recon-ish 2.6 tire? I don't hate the plus setup at all but having the option for the more XC-ish rides I do might be nice.

Just curious, thanks for any info and pics would be even better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Can I get some pics, info, feedback on taking a 27.5+ Fuse to a 29"er? There isn't a bunch of info on this thread (surprisingly) so I thought I would ask again. I have a 2018 Comp Carbon and would like to know how big of a rear tire I can get in there with minimal rubbing, is it a positive change, etc?

I know the stats say it will take up to a 2.3/2.5 tire, but with so many being undersized will it take a Specialized 2.6? Or a Maxxis Recon-ish 2.6 tire? I don't hate the plus setup at all but having the option for the more XC-ish rides I do might be nice.

Just curious, thanks for any info and pics would be even better.
    I have a 29x2.6 specialized eliminator as a rear tire on 30mm internal rims with plenty of room.

Downcountry AF
    I have a 29x2.6 specialized eliminator as a rear tire on 30mm internal rims with plenty of room.
    I sent you a PM, can you hit me back?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Can I get some pics, info, feedback on taking a 27.5+ Fuse to a 29"er? There isn't a bunch of info on this thread (surprisingly) so I thought I would ask again.
    You'll find a few cases of 27.5 > 29 here, but you'll have to wade through 143 pages of German to find the useful nuggets. I do remember that there are photos quite recently showing frame clearances etc.

https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/spec...44594/page-143

Good luck, and call out if I can help translate anything.... but deepl does a pretty good job so I'm sure it'll (mostly) make sense.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Hey all, I got my fuze expert 2017 2 years ago and loving it. I am.looking to upgrade the chain groupset to a sram nx eagle with dub bb, anyone had any luck with this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jumble1982 View Post
    Hey all, I got my fuze expert 2017 2 years ago and loving it. I am.looking to upgrade the chain groupset to a sram nx eagle with dub bb, anyone had any luck with this?
    I have a 2016 expert and had my LBS order me an NX eagle 170mm crankset as well as the the bottom bracket to match my bike. I needed to upgrade since I somehow managed to bend the stout crankset that came with it. I was digging the shorter crank arms on my stumpy, so sprung for the 170mm cranks for my fuse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Please talk me out of cheaping out on this Ebay fork, fitment problems, recommendations, other suggestions, warnings welcome! For my 16 Fuse comp currently running hose clamp and inner tube rigged up rigid guttted Santour fork. Not the best or safest thing given I am a Clyde at 260

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suntour-Rai...%21-1&LH_BIN=1

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

No more fuse

Downcountry AF
    Back in the 3.0 club, at least on the front. The reduction in trail chatter is undeniable, 2.8 doesnít even come close.

I may go back to a 3Ē on the back as well, going to give this setup a few rides first.

mtbr member
    Back in the 3.0 club, at least on the front. The reduction in trail chatter is undeniable, 2.8 doesnít even come close.
    Interesting and thanks for the update.
    What tire pressure did u run/test with the 2.8? And what pressure do u use with the 3.0?

FYI Iíve been eager to test with 2.8 on my bike too but havenít yet (bottom bracket height concerns).

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Interesting and thanks for the update.
    What tire pressure did u run/test with the 2.8? And what pressure do u use with the 3.0?

FYI Iíve been eager to test with 2.8 on my bike too but havenít yet (bottom bracket height concerns).
    With the 2.8 I was running 17f/19r. I run that 3.0 purg up front at about 14.

I put on shorter cranks to offset any drop in BB height from the tires, and Iíll leave them on now with the front about 3/8ths taller than the rear. Clearance helps in the rocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-68303214_2819078761452814_6189912785460133888_n.jpg

Brought home a Specialized Fuse today. Hit up a quick 5 mile trail ride after leaving the bike shop and holy hell I can't believe I waited so long to jump on the 27.5+ train. I have a few changes I'm looking in to for the future; I wanna get a 1x11 Box One drivetrain and maybe throw on a Fox Fork if I feel the Recon starts letting me down. I've already swapped out the Tektro craptastic brakes with Shimano M6000's. That was my first cable cut, internal route and bleed job so that was an adventure on its own.
    '14 SC Tallboy
    '19 Specialized Fuse 6fattie

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I am sourcing a Der Hanger and mech for 17 Fuse Comp. Any suggestions? Much appreciated, it's a Pilo D738 from what I have found. Any other ways to go? Trying to get 1 of 3 broken bikes going!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    So I've had about 9 months on my 19' alloy fuse expert and still love it. I've been running mostly stock but added an MRP ramp control and a plush chromag seat. Other than that no changes. I run my 3.0 purgs at about 12-13 psi. And that feels mostly great but have experienced some inexplicable front end washouts. I think the front is so wide that while it can go over stuff easily it leaves little room for error on an undulating trail so hitting a line even slight wrong can cause issues. I'm thinking of trying 2.8's, or at least a 2.8 in the front.

Any further testimony's on 2.8's? And what about carbon rims - would they cause too much harshness or are they a game changer on this bike for the better?

I'm thinking I'll get a second set of rims and keep my 3.0's as is so I can quickly put them on when there's a bit of snow on the ground etc.

Also I'm tossing between 2.8 butchers and Maxxis ( DHF/DHR combo ).

Appreciate any feedback.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbvkk View Post
    So I've had about 9 months on my 19' alloy fuse expert and still love it. I've been running mostly stock but added an MRP ramp control and a plush chromag seat. Other than that no changes. I run my 3.0 purgs at about 12-13 psi. And that feels mostly great but have experienced some inexplicable front end washouts. I think the front is so wide that while it can go over stuff easily it leaves little room for error on an undulating trail so hitting a line even slight wrong can cause issues. I'm thinking of trying 2.8's, or at least a 2.8 in the front.

Any further testimony's on 2.8's? And what about carbon rims - would they cause too much harshness or are they a game changer on this bike for the better?

I'm thinking I'll get a second set of rims and keep my 3.0's as is so I can quickly put them on when there's a bit of snow on the ground etc.

Also I'm tossing between 2.8 butchers and Maxxis ( DHF/DHR combo ).

Appreciate any feedback.
    I have a 2018 Carbon Comp. Here is my experience.

I upgraded to carbon Roval wheels within the first month, and while they are much stiffer I now have adjusted to them and the bike is a rocket.

Also when I went with the Carbon wheels, I thought Iíd lighten the bike up further with 2.8ís. While it did lighten the bike up a bunch (I think it was a little below 26lbs), I grew to miss the chatter reduction of the 3.0ís as the narrower and higher volume tires made the wheels feel even more stiff. I am now happily back to fully plus size and couldnít be happier. I find that my preferred psi are 15f and 17r, anything below that I get tire roll in hard turns. I may at some point try a cushcore, but hopefully they will come up with something lighter so I am holding off.

So to recap, I love my carbon wheels but with 3.0 tires. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have a 2018 Carbon Comp. Here is my experience.

I upgraded to carbon Roval wheels within the first month, and while they are much stiffer I now have adjusted to them and the bike is a rocket.

Also when I went with the Carbon wheels, I thought Iíd lighten the bike up further with 2.8ís. While it did lighten the bike up a bunch (I think it was a little below 26lbs), I grew to miss the chatter reduction of the 3.0ís as the narrower and higher volume tires made the wheels feel even more stiff. I am now happily back to fully plus size and couldnít be happier. I find that my preferred psi are 15f and 17r, anything below that I get tire roll in hard turns. I may at some point try a cushcore, but hopefully they will come up with something lighter so I am holding off.

So to recap, I love my carbon wheels but with 3.0 tires. YMMV.
    Thanks!

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbvkk View Post
    Thanks!
    No problem, and I should have said ďhigher psi tiresĒ, regarding the swap to 2.8ís on the carbon rims. I was closer to 20psi on the narrower tires to not have rim strikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    No problem, and I should have said ďhigher psi tiresĒ, regarding the swap to 2.8ís on the carbon rims. I was closer to 20psi on the narrower tires to not have rim strikes.
    Wow, that high - I was hoping to run 2.8ís at 15-16

but I might just try them with my alloy rims first given your experience

Downcountry AF
    Some people around here swear they are running 10psi, I just donít see it. I also weight 200lb ready to ride, so someone lighter could get away with lower psi.

Tires arenít made to be run damn-near flat, regardless of what some people claim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

New setup! Iíll miss you guys lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NEastUnlmtd View Post
    I am sourcing a Der Hanger and mech for 17 Fuse Comp. Any suggestions? Much appreciated, it's a Pilo D738 from what I have found. Any other ways to go? Trying to get 1 of 3 broken bikes going!
    Wheels Man derailleur Hanger 301 is my guess.

Downcountry AF
    A little bit of an update;

I have been needing a little bit more rise and reach out of my front end, and at 40mm rise bars and a bunch of spacers under the stem I was starting to run out of options.

So...I took one of the favorite parts of my SS that I am parting out, the cockpit, and put it onto the fuse to see how I like it.

Custom Defiance Frameworks titanium ďklunker barsĒ, cut to 31Ē, 4Ē rise, with my Paul Components 7/8ths Boxcar stem (50mm). I was able to get the stem down a bit (and itís slightly longer than the stock stem), and the bars up about 1Ē from where they were. Now, the bars do have more sweep than the Renthals, but it already feels better just rolling around to get the levers right. Iíll know more after I get it out for a ride this evening.

Iíve also always dug the classic klunker look, so these bars fit in well .

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I just picked up a 2019 Fuse Comp 27.5+ (same as 6Fattie from what I've read) and really am loving it. The only thing I've updated are the pedals to grippier OneUp Components Composites.

I just got back from 3 days riding Kingdom Trails in VT with the family (wife and 2 kids - 12 and 9) and this bike did great. My main focus was my wife and kids so didn't have much chance to cut loose but I did break away twice on my own to bit Sidewinder and Troll Stroll on my own (first run was with the family done nice and slow).

Sidewinder - was a blast. Hold on and don't stop. I think I bottomed out my front shock on one decent but otherwise it did great.

Troll Stroll - last ride of the visit. I decided to just let the bike go and boy was it fun. The bike took the berms without any issue and just flowed down the path going over roots and stuff like they weren't there. I felt comfortable enough that I even tried to catch some air in a few places. Not bad for a 49 year old who hasn't been on a bike much in the last 30 years. I credit 4 years of Cross Fit for this (yes I said it).

A few times I did wish I had a slightly lower and higher gear, but mostly I am more than happy with this bike without any mods and can't wait to take it out again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-20190902_123116.jpg  

Downcountry AF
    Dope

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    This went from $99 to $399. No way! Still glad I chose not to buy it. Still looking for a suggestion on the economical side sorta... thanks!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suntour-Rai...%21-1&LH_BIN=1

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey guys (and gals),

I just got a new to me 17' Fuse Comp and have to say it is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I've been off the bike for about 3 years and sold my Lynskey Pro29 as i just didn't have time to ride with kids, work etc....

Okay, so I want to lighten the load here a little bit and just can't get a good handle on if normal cranks like XT's fit these fattie's or not and what type of fork and hubs (boost/ non boost). I've attempted to contact Specialized but that is a lost cause as it goes to VM.

My goal is to upgrade the following:
    Cranks seem heavy but maybe they aren't that bad
    Rear Cassette
    Possible Fork - is the suntour much better than the Machete?
    Possible wheels - have them set up as tubeless as of now.

What else am i missing? I did google and there is not a lot to find but feel free to shoot me a link if there is one that helped you

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ral83178 View Post
    Hey guys (and gals),

I just got a new to me 17' Fuse Comp and have to say it is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I've been off the bike for about 3 years and sold my Lynskey Pro29 as i just didn't have time to ride with kids, work etc....

Okay, so I want to lighten the load here a little bit and just can't get a good handle on if normal cranks like XT's fit these fattie's or not and what type of fork and hubs (boost/ non boost). I've attempted to contact Specialized but that is a lost cause as it goes to VM.

My goal is to upgrade the following:
    Cranks seem heavy but maybe they aren't that bad
    Rear Cassette
    Possible Fork - is the suntour much better than the Machete?
    Possible wheels - have them set up as tubeless as of now.

What else am i missing? I did google and there is not a lot to find but feel free to shoot me a link if there is one that helped you
    Congrats on the purchase, you're going to love it. One of the most capable bikes out there. Out of curiosity, what does it weigh now?

You can throw a lot of money at it and lose a pound or two, but I'd just ask if you think you'll enjoy it more? There are of course a lot of little things you can do (you listed a bunch above) and trim here and there, but it will be expensive.

To add context, I'm running a carbon frame Fuse with carbon Roval wheels, Helm Works fork, and mine still weighs 28lbs! A lot of that is still the 3.0 tires (at 1100g each), but I have done the "size down to 2.8" thing to save a pound and didn't really like the smaller size and went back to the stock ones.

YMMV, but I'd suggest you just ride the sh*t out of it and not obsess over the weight.

mtbr member
    Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-img_20190907_113401-large-.jpg

Turned my Fuse into a bit of a brawler. The reduced offset Bomber Z2 130mm x 34mm takeoff fork is awesome on this bike. The XT brakes/ drivetrain and i9 101 hubs on my 30mm internal rims and maxxis rubber are also very good. Fox 125mm Transfer dropper works well on my medium frame. I haven't cut the fork steerer because I am flirting with adding an angleset to slack it out a bit. Any suggestions?Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-img_20190907_112836-large-.jpgSpecialized Fuse 6Fattie-img_20190907_113353-large-.jpg
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Congrats on the purchase, you're going to love it. One of the most capable bikes out there. Out of curiosity, what does it weigh now?

You can throw a lot of money at it and lose a pound or two, but I'd just ask if you think you'll enjoy it more? There are of course a lot of little things you can do (you listed a bunch above) and trim here and there, but it will be expensive.

To add context, I'm running a carbon frame Fuse with carbon Roval wheels, Helm Works fork, and mine still weighs 28lbs! A lot of that is still the 3.0 tires (at 1100g each), but I have done the "size down to 2.8" thing to save a pound and didn't really like the smaller size and went back to the stock ones.

YMMV, but I'd suggest you just ride the sh*t out of it and not obsess over the weight.
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the bike is great as it is thus far but deep inside i like to make some things my own on the cheap. Really just trying to see what the hell fits these things as i'm new to the wider BB (it seems).

As it is stock in a Large size, it's 31Lbs which is not all that bad for all the material and the tires. pretty sure i could get down to sub 29 or 30 for a few hundred bucks.

tom

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ral83178 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the bike is great as it is thus far but deep inside i like to make some things my own on the cheap. Really just trying to see what the hell fits these things as i'm new to the wider BB (it seems).

As it is stock in a Large size, it's 31Lbs which is not all that bad for all the material and the tires. pretty sure i could get down to sub 29 or 30 for a few hundred bucks.

tom
    BB width should be the same (not a fat bike shell) but I believe yours comes with a BB30 as opposed to threaded. Iím not expert on those but from a width perspective you should be fine as long as you get a crankset specified as BB30.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    BB width should be the same (not a fat bike shell) but I believe yours comes with a BB30 as opposed to threaded. Iím not expert on those but from a width perspective you should be fine as long as you get a crankset specified as BB30.
    Thank you.

Probably start with cranks and cassette, Ti or Carbon bars and stem.

Cheers,
    tom in NC

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190907_113401 (Large).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	416.8 KB 
ID:	1277629

Turned my Fuse into a bit of a brawler. The reduced offset Bomber Z2 130mm x 34mm takeoff fork is awesome on this bike. The XT brakes/ drivetrain and i9 101 hubs on my 30mm internal rims and maxxis rubber are also very good. Fox 125mm Transfer dropper works well on my medium frame. I haven't cut the fork steerer because I am flirting with adding an angleset to slack it out a bit. Any suggestions?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190907_112836 (Large).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	430.2 KB 
ID:	1277631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190907_113353 (Large).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	432.3 KB 
ID:	1277633
    I was JUST looking at those rims what size tires do you have on them? currently I'd be putting on 27.5x2.8 but I hear with 2.8 with I want to go wider like 35mm.

Downcountry AF
    This thread needs more ďFuse in ActionĒ photos....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonilink View Post
    I was JUST looking at those rims what size tires do you have on them? currently I'd be putting on 27.5x2.8 but I hear with 2.8 with I want to go wider like 35mm.
    These are actually 29" rims with a DHF 2.5 WT front Aggressor 2.5 rear. Yes for 2.8 tires you want min 35mm internal rims but I would go 40-45mm.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Selling my Fuse. Will sell it either 1) frame only 2) frame and wheels only, or 3) complete.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2629386/

slower than you
    This thread needs more ďFuse in ActionĒ photos....
    Right on!

Name:  fuse.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  41.5 KB
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I have a 2018 FUse Comp with the manitou fork that has been up and down for me. How do I find what compatible forks would my 27.5 3.0 setup on the 2018 fuse?

Would a fox 34 work? What specific model?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Going to hop in with more fork questions...

Im looking to upgrade the fork on my 2018 comp6 fattie as well. Was interested in the marzocchi bomber Z2. I haven't had much luck in finding if the 29 fork will accommodate a 27.5 3.0 tire?

thanks for any input!

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jw2108 View Post
    Going to hop in with more fork questions...

Im looking to upgrade the fork on my 2018 comp6 fattie as well. Was interested in the marzocchi bomber Z2. I haven't had much luck in finding if the 29 fork will accommodate a 27.5 3.0 tire?

thanks for any input!
    I upgraded mine a few months ago, and went with the Cane creek HELM Works 130, which is 27.5+ / 29 compatible. I couldn't be happier. I think most newer 29"er forks will accommodate a 275 x 2.8 tire, but the 3" clearance is usually specified, so I'd keep looking for confirmation before pulling the trigger.

mtbr member
    I upgraded mine a few months ago, and went with the Cane creek HELM Works 130, which is 27.5+ / 29 compatible. I couldn't be happier. I think most newer 29"er forks will accommodate a 275 x 2.8 tire, but the 3" clearance is usually specified, so I'd keep looking for confirmation before pulling the trigger.
    I'm running a marzocchi bomber Z2 130mm 29/27.5+ on my Fuse but only with my 29x2.6" wheels. I'll mount up my stock 27.5+ 3" set when I get home next week but I am thinking it will fit fine.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Thank you guys for the quick replies! Looking forward to hearing what you think after mounting the 3.0 tire. Ill keep digging into their site for info... or maybe ill just email them and see what they have to say! Thank you again! Greatly appreciated!

Downcountry AF
    I'm running a marzocchi bomber Z2 130mm 29/27.5+ on my Fuse but only with my 29x2.6" wheels. I'll mount up my stock 27.5+ 3" set when I get home next week but I am thinking it will fit fine.
    Iíd love to meet up when you get back to AZ and possibly try out your 29x2.6 wheels in my Fuse before I take the plunge?

mtbr member
    Iíd love to meet up when you get back to AZ and possibly try out your 29x2.6 wheels in my Fuse before I take the plunge?
    Sure that should be fine. What part of the city are you in?
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

Downcountry AF
    Sure that should be fine. What part of the city are you in?
    Iím in Cave Creek but Iíll drive to wherever

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Whoís running. Theirs as a single speed?

Downcountry AF
    Is anyone running their Fuse (1st gen, pre-2020) with 27.5 x 2.6 tires, and did it lower your BB too much? I have an extra set of wheels kicking around and was thinking of doing a 2.6 set just for S&G. Pics appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Is anyone running their Fuse (1st gen, pre-2020) with 27.5 x 2.6 tires, and did it lower your BB too much? I have an extra set of wheels kicking around and was thinking of doing a 2.6 set just for S&G. Pics appreciated.
    I was interested in trying 2.6 tires, but my LBS guy said the BB would be too low for the rocky trails around here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Specialized Fuse 6Fattie

Wrong thread
    Last edited by Topgear24; 10-27-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

mtbr member
    Curious were you able to try the 29x2.6? Thoughts?

FYI, my 29 wheelset just arrived, and putting the tires (2.3) and rotors next few days and hopefully a real ride soon. Though bummer that my lingering cold/cough has not been good to whatever fitness I had before.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    OK, I am now running 29er rims on the Fuse. Found a set of RaceFace Aeffect R30 wheels at a decent price. 30mm internal width, set up for tubeless. Had 27.5 x 40mm with 3" Purgatory's. I felt the 27.5 to be a little draggy maybe, thought a higher bottom bracket would be nice also.
    2.5 Minion DHF up front because I had it on hand. Ordered a 2.6 Rekon for the rear.
    3 rides on it now. Most noticeable difference was the front end now coming up a little climbing the steeper stuff, not a problem.
    Next thing was how the Minion up front grabs the off camber stuff. My 3rd ride had me pushing pretty hard through the turns as my confidence increased. That 3rd ride was a blast! Rekon on the back just followed along doing its job with uphill traction, cornering, and braking.
    The bike seemed to roll a little better. This summer we had more rain and the gumbo here is awful. Fitness down a bit from the norm, Strava has my times comparing to 3years ago when my fitness level was better.
    1st ride was with the hounds on punchy roller coaster, flowy, fairly smooth.
    2nd ride, lot of technical, tight turns, punchy very short climbs/descents, shale, river rock, loose over hard.
    3rd ride was an extension of the 1st. The added portion is like middle ground between 1st and 2nd ride. Had a day's rest and it all gelled that ride. Super fun, big grin.
    I want to try a Rekon 2.6 up front. Rain and snow today, trails wet again, more rain in the forecast for this weekend
    This winter the entire drive train will be replaced with Shimano 11 speed. Running the Sram GX 10 speed now.

Downcountry AF
    Curious were you able to try the 29x2.6? Thoughts?
    No, I have not heard back from him.

mtbr member
    No, I have not heard back from him.
    Will PM you in a few minutes.
    I'm too far away for you to borrow anything but maybe potential solution.

mtbr member
    Can't exactly make out the Fuse in this shot, but trust me, that's me on the left, on my Fuse. This was this past Saturday...dawn patrol and a quick little ride across a field, before jumping into the woods and hitting some classic northern New Jersey rock gardens. As a roadie, I don't ride my MTB much during the road season, but after yesterday... my brain has made the switch for the off-season and it's all I can think about.

Have some tail 29'er wheels coming on Tuesday and I'm anxious to see how the bike feels with almost 2 pounds less of rotating weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgear24 View Post
    That is a Stumpjumper 6Fattie... this thread is aimed at the Fuse 6Fattie. 6Fattie being the wheel/tire setup that Specialized developed that was 27.5x3", slightly fatter than normal 27.5+ and swappable to 29'er.

That is definitely a bad ass bike, but I'd be careful taking lots of advice from this thread as the frame geometry's, I think, are pretty different between the Fuse and Stumpjumper. The Fuse was developed around a 120mm fork and I think the Stumpie is 140-150mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankAddictRich View Post
    That is a Stumpjumper 6Fattie... this thread is aimed at the Fuse 6Fattie. 6Fattie being the wheel/tire setup that Specialized developed that was 27.5x3", slightly fatter than normal 27.5+ and swappable to 29'er.

That is definitely a bad ass bike, but I'd be careful taking lots of advice from this thread as the frame geometry's, I think, are pretty different between the Fuse and Stumpjumper. The Fuse was developed around a 120mm fork and I think the Stumpie is 140-150mm.
    Thanks for the heads up just notice I post in the wrong sub forum!

mtbr member
    Have some tail 29'er wheels coming on Tuesday and I'm anxious to see how the bike feels with almost 2 pounds less of rotating weight.
    I just put some 29x2.3 testers on my 2019 Fuse, originally 27x3.0's which I love and will still ride.
    No real rides yet on the 29s, but from just putzing around and some small jumps/drops, what I like the most is the greater feel of the ground when rolling thanks to the higher pressure and less rubber. The obvious down/flipside is landings and bumps are harsher. And I'm sure I'll be a bit bummed losing traction on the steepest climbs.

Overall, each wheel is about 1 lb lighter. 3.0's have lots of rubber!

mtbr member
    where I live in NJ, if I go south, the trails are a little tamer, more XC-ish... and if I go north, they're a little chunkier and full of rock gardens. I think I'll still use the 27.5x3" setup on the north days and have the 29'er set up for the faster, XC days. My neighbor got a set of 29'ers for his Chameleon and when I test road it, the bike felt noticeably crisper in acceleration and rolling. I also loved the roll-over of the 29'er wheel when I had my Enduro 29'er last year.

mtbr member
    Aloha. I set mine up for bikepacking. On the handlebar is my tent and water filtering stuff. Some food goes in to there. On the seat pack is my sleeping bag and pad. In the small frame bag is my extra tube and tools and parts for the bike. 2 water bottles forward of the frame bag and one on the bottom of the down tube. The fork lowers is my cook set and pot(s) as well as more food and stuff. Oh. And top tube bag is snacks and other little things.

Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-69401169_459916468070190_2740605652186431488_n.jpg

livin' the dream......
    I just put some 29x2.3 testers on my 2019 Fuse, originally 27x3.0's which I love and will still ride.
    No real rides yet on the 29s, but from just putzing around and some small jumps/drops, what I like the most is the greater feel of the ground when rolling thanks to the higher pressure and less rubber. The obvious down/flipside is landings and bumps are harsher. And I'm sure I'll be a bit bummed losing traction on the steepest climbs.

Overall, each wheel is about 1 lb lighter. 3.0's have lots of rubber!
    I have been running my 2018 Carbon Comp in 29 x 2.3 mode for about 5-6 months now with Fast Tracks front/rear. I recently did a 12 hour overnight race and put down 108 miles and was really pleased with how the bike felt.

The bike still climbs well, and I find my self taking the same lines desceding that I would take with the 3.0 tires, which I feel like I can point at just about anything and ride through/over.

I think you will like the feel of the 2.3's.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    I've bought my 2015 Fuse Comp 6Fattie in Sept. of 2017. After one year, I ditched the stock wheels and picked up a set of Industry 9 Backcountry 450 wheels.

They are great wheels and 45mm width really makes the 3.0" tires square and confidence inspiring. It is a great setup for monster trucking over chunky and super technical terrain.

Every once in a while, I hit a trail system that isn't chunky and technical and is much faster, flow, more cross-country single track and I've always found it hard to chase my friends that were on fast 29'er setups. I recently picked up a set of relatively inexpensive Stan's Arch 29'er wheels and set them up with 2.3" Fast Trak tires.

I'm super impressed with the feel of the 29'er setup. The bike has a much different feel. It feels so much faster. I was a little worried that I'd miss the traction of the 3" tires, but in the two rides I've done so far, it doesn't feel any different on the short punchy climbs I've hit. As I thought about it, the truth is, the contact patch is probably still the same in over all size, its just skinnier and longer on the 29'er set up vs. shorter and wider on the 27.5+ set up.

mtbr member
    Has anyone found a good, clean, almost factory looking solution for chain slap on the Fuse?

livin' the dream......
    Has anyone found a good, clean, almost factory looking solution for chain slap on the Fuse?
    I just went with a lizard skin chain stay protector. It just velcro's around the chain stay and no more chain slap noise. When I purchased the bike, I honestly did not notice the lack of protection there, but after a few rides, picked up the lizard skin and have had no issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    I just went with a lizard skin chain stay protector. It just velcro's around the chain stay and no more chain slap noise. When I purchased the bike, I honestly did not notice the lack of protection there, but after a few rides, picked up the lizard skin and have had no issues.
    It looks like the Lizard Skin is offered in a few different sizes to cover different circumferences of chain stay... Do you, by any chance, remember the size you ordered? Are you on a carbon Fuse or alloy?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Neoprene and cable ties... the cable ties compensate for the fact that the stay width varies and the neoprene looks stretched / wrinkled without some kind of stablisation.

Name:  1175858d1510089297t-specialized-fuse-6fattie-1166310d1510089297-specialized-fuse-6fattie-b_dsc_3.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  46.1 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I made a custom piece from industrial strength velcro(from homedepot) that runs the lenght of the chainstay. I went this route since I couldn't find anything out there that would work well with the diamond section of the chainstay. I have had it on the bike for about 3 years now, but have had to add a few zip ties over the years to keep it going. I guess I could make a new piece to make it look clean again, but the bike is so beat to hell now that it doesn't matter haha. It looked really really good for a while though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-fuse-chainstay.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks guys... I ended up ordering the LizardSkins chain slap protector. I got it yesterday and the fit is pretty decent. I went with the large size and actually it isn't quite large enough, so you really have to stretch it tight to fit. Looks pretty good and the bike was definitely quite today.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys... I ended up ordering the LizardSkins chain slap protector. I got it yesterday and the fit is pretty decent. I went with the large size and actually it isn't quite large enough, so you really have to stretch it tight to fit. Looks pretty good and the bike was definitely quite today.
    Aloha,

Just saw this. I used Mastic tape. It's great, sticks really well and is rubbery and molds to different shapes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

NBD!!! S-Works Fuse

So after quite some time lurking on this site while trying to decide between buying a Stache, Fuse, Chameleon, DV9, Sync'r, Transition Throttle/Vanquish or Orbea Laufey to replace my Giant XTC Advanced with a more current geometry; I bought a 2018 new old stock S-Works Fuse.

This is the model with the Ohlin fork, RSC carbon 4 piston brakes, XX1 drivetrain and the 38mm Roval Traverse carbon wheels. Full on bling.

Took it out of the box, put my pedals and was surprised how heavy it felt; 26.8#. This is a pound more than my 2020 Niner Jet Nine RDO weighs! And with tubeless setup. Those 3" tires are serously heavy!

So I stripped it down leaving only the frame, dropper, bars, XX1 cranks and the brakes then added.....

XO 11 spd drivetrain(1195 cassette), 29er carbon wheels 30mm inner (hope rear hub/SRAM front hub)
    Bontrager XR3 2.6 tires, Rockshox RS-1 fork at 120mm travel (having the Ohlin upgraded to the EVO model, pushing it to 140 travel and putting it on my Jet) Ergon GS1 grips, Bontrager saddle, 2020 XT pedals.

Check out the pics. Everyone's always asking re clearance; 1/4 between the frame and the 2.6 tire in back. I like the 11 speed for the weight savings and the shorter deraileur arm. 30 tooth eliptical chainring.

Now the scale says 23.2 pounds; more like it; and the bike has the same geometry as my Jet9.

Rode it today, getting it sorted out; I think it's going to be great.Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-img_20191205_162136.jpgSpecialized Fuse 6Fattie-img_20191205_162153.jpgAttachment 1296963Attachment 1296963Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-img_20191206_161636.jpgSpecialized Fuse 6Fattie-img_20191205_162205.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Fuse 6Fattie-img_20191206_162839.jpg  

livin' the dream......
    It looks like the Lizard Skin is offered in a few different sizes to cover different circumferences of chain stay... Do you, by any chance, remember the size you ordered? Are you on a carbon Fuse or alloy?
    Sorry, just saw this. I just pulled one off the shelf at the LBS and went on my way. Looks like you got it worked out.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910