Soma Juice 29er vs Soma B-Side for 27.5 x 2.8- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Soma Juice 29er vs Soma B-Side for 27.5 x 2.8

Soma's two 2017 mountain bike models can both accommodate 27.5 x 2.8 wheels. The overall diameter of 27.5 x 2.8 is pretty much equal to a 29 x 2.2. That means the B+ wheel in the Juice is on the small side for what the frame can accommodate (easily 29 x 2.4). The same wheel on the B-Side is the largest diameter the frame can accommodate. I imagine I would need to run the sliding dropouts forward on the Juice and slammed back on the B-Side. Doing so would pretty much make the overall wheelbase about the same and make the chainstays about the same. Differences then might boil down to bottom bracket drop (less drop on the B-Side), different stack and reach measurements and slight variation in head tube angle (B-Side is a degree slacker).

I'm looking for a steel singlespeed steed for decently technical singletrack. Speed is not that important to me. Climbing ability I would rate more importantly than descending speed. Climbing rocky, rooty, twisty switchbacks is what I want to conquer.

Which frame would you recommend for my intended use?

Many thanks,
    Eric

tranqui_yanqui
    return to the Soma site and you shall see a new steed that posesses the features you desire.
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29
    Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    Soma Double Cross

mtbr member
    They have this now too
    Valhallen (27.5+) | SOMA Fabrications

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for the note on the Valhallen. Looks awesome. But I'm building this bike around a set of 135/100 wheels, with Paul hubs and Velocity Dually wheels -- already in hand. No Boost on this one, so that leaves the Juice and B-Side.

mtbr member
    In the geometry foot notes, it looks like the Juice numbers are based on a 29X2.2 tire which is what you are shooting for. The B-side seems like its a 27.5 bike that can accommodate plus size tires, where the Juice seems like it would handle the plus size tires better. I would lean toward the Juice if I were looking at your style of riding. However, I don't know your body type, which might be a factor in picking which specs you go with also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've got a 2015ish Juice with 2.3 VeeTire Crown Gems on WTB i25 rims and I doubt I could get much more tire in the rear. The dropouts are in their most forward position. Perhaps if I moved them back a bit I could squeeze a 2.4 in there, but I love the way it rides now so I'm not changing it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericjayowsley View Post
    Soma's two 2017 mountain bike models can both accommodate 27.5 x 2.8 wheels. The overall diameter of 27.5 x 2.8 is pretty much equal to a 29 x 2.2. That means the B+ wheel in the Juice is on the small side for what the frame can accommodate (easily 29 x 2.4). The same wheel on the B-Side is the largest diameter the frame can accommodate. I imagine I would need to run the sliding dropouts forward on the Juice and slammed back on the B-Side. Doing so would pretty much make the overall wheelbase about the same and make the chainstays about the same. Differences then might boil down to bottom bracket drop (less drop on the B-Side), different stack and reach measurements and slight variation in head tube angle (B-Side is a degree slacker).

I'm looking for a steel singlespeed steed for decently technical singletrack. Speed is not that important to me. Climbing ability I would rate more importantly than descending speed. Climbing rocky, rooty, twisty switchbacks is what I want to conquer.

Which frame would you recommend for my intended use?

Many thanks,
    Eric
    I can't really answer your question, but wanted to note that a 27.5x2.8 tire will be closer in diameter to a 29x2.0.

I think the B side would be a better option, as you will have problems bashing pedals into rocks over techy terrain with the lower BB.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I can't really answer your question, but wanted to note that a 27.5x2.8 tire will be closer in diameter to a 29x2.0.

I think the B side would be a better option, as you will have problems bashing pedals into rocks over techy terrain with the lower BB.
    I was worried about that. In theory, the overall diameter of a 27.5x2.8 is the same as a 29x2.2, but in reality, most of the 2.8s out there measure a bit small. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Looks like the new Juice has more tire clearance than the older models. I think they also raised the bottom bracket some for 27.5+ use.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    I've got a 2015ish Juice with 2.3 VeeTire Crown Gems on WTB i25 rims and I doubt I could get much more tire in the rear. The dropouts are in their most forward position. Perhaps if I moved them back a bit I could squeeze a 2.4 in there, but I love the way it rides now so I'm not changing it
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Let me ask the question from a different perspective. If you owned a custom 27.5 Velocity Dually wheelset mated to Paul Disc Hubs (135/100), what steel, singlespeed capable frame would you mount them on? What size tires would you put on them?

mtbr member
    Put 27.5 wheels on a 27.5 frame. Fit the biggest tires you can. Simple.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericjayowsley View Post
    Let me ask the question from a different perspective. If you owned a custom 27.5 Velocity Dually wheelset mated to Paul Disc Hubs (135/100), what steel, singlespeed capable frame would you mount them on? What size tires would you put on them?
    Go custom - Retrotec, Sklar, Hunter or Stinner

mtbr member
    Of course, that would triple or quadruple his frame cost. Are you making up the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post
    Go custom - Retrotec, Sklar, Hunter or Stinner

mtbr member
    He has never specified a price

For 100/135 wheel set, there may not be many inexpensive, new options without going custom.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

only 4 months late!

well....have been riding the singletracks since 1984...after over 100 bikes being 26, 29 and 27.5 fatties and regular I can honestly say I have settled in with the soma b-side,

can run 2.4/2.6 depending ...and above that seem to get very slow.

this is for medium hardpack NC woodsy trails.

the 29er was great at speed (am 6') but the b-side excels at twisty rooty and climbing...not that the 29er doesn't...it actually does all that better except for twisty and ESPECIALLY the berms.

nothing berms like a 26er(or bmx if you want to go there)...but 27.5 does it MUCH better than a 29er if you have a snake run...with jumps.

I like all sizes, but the b-side is the best compromise for one bike to do it all imho.

mtbr member
    Has anyone see how big of a plus tire the new B side can take? I know Soma claims a 2.8, but I'm wondering if that's a real 2.8 tire, or something like a WTB Trailblazer 2.8 (more like a 2.5 or so).