salsa carbon bucksaw 27.5 plus!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

salsa carbon bucksaw 27.5 plus!

hi all just wondering if anyone has any experience with a bucksaw plus size? I'm wondering how it compares to a pony rustler as I've owned an aluminum bucksaw and enjoyed it but swayed to a hard tail for a while and now thought id try a a carbon bucksaw with plus setup with a fox 34 plus in front. I'm going with full xtrm9000 derby rims on onyx hubs and pretty much chromag everything else. anyone ridden the bucksaw as a plus and also ridden the pony?

mtbr member
    thats all good but how about feedback on the ride compared to fat or other plus bikes?

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    thats all good but how about feedback on the ride compared to fat or other plus bikes?
    i can't answer that as i don't own a bucksaw. The member who does and more than likely provide some sort of answer is sheatrock. I snagged his photo link from here.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...1011868-6.html

bigger than you.
    I have an alloy bucksaw, set up 27.5+ & fat, with 45mm WTB Scrapers. While I can't say how it compares to the Pony Rustler, I do prefer it to 26x4 fat. I have it set up with a 120mm Lefty Max PBR and more or less stock geometry otherwise. The bike is reasonably quick handling, sure footed and fast, at least compared to my previous fat bikes, 2 9:ZERO:7s & a Surly Pugsley. I would describe it as the best possible mixture of the speed of a 29er and the traction of a fat bike.
    One caveat vs 26fat is that the 27.5x3.8 Bontrager Hodags that I have for winter tires, actually measure 3.5 on the scrapers and that currently is the only fat tire of that diameter that fits the rear, although the Maxxis tires should be out before winter. I had been exclusively fat for the past 3 years; I prefer plus by a huge margin for everything but snow. i presently am running WTB Bridgers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails salsa carbon bucksaw 27.5 plus!-img_20160419_074334.jpg  

salsa carbon bucksaw 27.5 plus!-12140965_1039036819501566_4285368787962301638_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for the response! Most of my riding will be Xc/trail riding with some decently fast decents. I'm just hoping its going to be as fun of a trail bike as my previous bucksaw just a lot sharper handling with the plus wheels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigger than you.
    It's definitely more responsive than fat, but I'm not 100% sure if that is because the bucksaw handles better than my previous bikes, which it certainly does. The 27.5+ definitely accelerates faster and the platform is better in most conditions than fat, excepting snow and sand. Fwiw, my riding ranges from all mountain / trail to xc.

mtbr member
    Any idea how much your build weighs in at?

mtbr member
    also i have a 140mm air shaft i ordered before i went to the bucksaw and am currently at 120mm of front travel on my fox 34 plus. do you think putting the 140mm airshaft in will put it out of balance? it would slacken it out a little more to ibis mojo 3 territory or new pivot switch blade just without 30mm in the rear. i was using all the travel on the 120mm with it mounted to my ibis transfat so more travel in the front would be good if it didn't mess to much with the geo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    salsa carbon bucksaw 27.5 plus!-image1.jpg

I've been running 27.5+ in the rear on WTB Scrapers with Onyx Hubs and Maxxis Chronicle Tires along with playing with a 26" 80 mil carbon rim with a 4.6 Ground Control Tire on the Front
    The 27.5+ looked so tiny in the Bluto visually, it feels better with the Full fat in the front
    The acceleration of the bike greatly increases with the + tires but that's no surprise
    I toyed with the thought of getting a pony rustler but I do like the option to switch back to full fat and in the Midwest 100mm is enough travel for me

bigger than you.
    Any idea how much your build weighs in at?

My build is at around 30# with a dropper post and zero carbon fiber.

beer thief
    Mine is just under 30# with dropper and Vee Trax Fatty tires (soon to be replaced with Dirt Wizards). The FBNs in this photo are long since shredded; light weight but not very durable. I'm using Nextie 650B x 50 mm rims.

I love this bike in the B+ configuration. Love it full fat too but it's much quicker as B+.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails salsa carbon bucksaw 27.5 plus!-bucksaw-b-medium-.jpg  

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Mine is just under 30# with dropper and Vee Trax Fatty tires (soon to be replaced with Dirt Wizards). The FBNs in this photo are long since shredded; light weight but not very durable. I'm using Nextie 650B x 50 mm rims.

I love this bike in the B+ configuration. Love it full fat too but it's much quicker as B+.
    Ever since Buck was introduced the orange really stood out to my eye. It seems 'just right' in 650b+ form as opposed to fat for some odd reason.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Ever since Buck was introduced the orange really stood out to my eye. It seems 'just right' in 650b+ form as opposed to fat for some odd reason.
    It feels just right in B+ form too. These rims are deep dish and most people can't tell the difference. I don't bother correcting them anymore.

mtbr member
    I really liked the orange as well. I had the blue alloy last year and the colour was much better in person. This red is the same, much better in person. I'm building it up with carbon derbys and onyx hubs all orange. Really happy to hear people like there saw with plus wheels!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yesterday was my first ride on my Bucksaw as a B+ bike. I have an aluminum, size large. Old setup was Jumbo Jim Liteskin 4.0 and lightweight tubes on the stock Marge Lites, weighed just over 33 pounds in riding configuration (pedals, bottle cage, bell).

Now with the Nextie 27.5"x50mm rims, 3.0 Nobby Nic front and 3.0 Rocket Ron rear (both snakeskin), laced to the stock Salsa hubs, set up tubeless, the weight is down to just over 30 pounds. So a 3 pound loss in rotational weight. Gigantic - very impressed that you got your XL down to 30 with no carbon!

It wasn't quite the "night and day" difference that I was hoping for. I definitely noticed when wheeling the bike up the stairs out of the basement... but on the trail, the ride experience seemed about the same. The rocket ron in the rear skids out in bermed turns a bit easier than Jumbo Jim did, but held its own climbing techy (dry) rooty sections. Nobby Nic tire in the front held a line great.

By the way, only about 50 grams difference between Nobby Nic snakeskin (880g) and Rocket ron Snakeskin (830g) on shop scale.

This ride included grassy doubletrack, rooty backcountry singletrack, and manicured dirt berm singletrack. Looking forward to more longer backcountry rides to really put this bike through its paces.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping for sub 28lb buck saw but time will tell I'm still waiting on my headset to get this sucker built

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm hoping for sub 28lb buck saw but time will tell I'm still waiting on my headset to get this sucker built

What did you get with your build? I'm at 28 and change for a medium aluminum saw w derby rims and rocket rons.

mtbr member

I'm at 27.5lbs with derbys onyx hubs dropper post full xtr and fox 34 plus and nobby nics large frame
    With extra light hubs and a light cassette I could hit 26.5 I'm sure but not interested in giving up my onyx and I eat threw cassettes so not paying that much!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    ^amazing right there^

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    My experience is quite different, I prefer the fat tires over the 27.5 plus. I think though it is more of a wheel issue then a tire issue. My fat wheels are lighter, with tires, then the plus wheels. I am faster and have more fun on the fat wheels. Also running a 120mm fork to get the BB a bit higher. Fat wheels are Whiskey carbon 70mm / Hope Fatsno/ Revolution spokes, the plus wheels have the same hub and spokes but with Easton Arc 45 rims. Tires are Maxxis Collosus and JJ 4.0 on the fat and Vee Trax 3.25 and Maxxis Chronicle .
    this seems, on the surface anyway to be counterintuitive to what the results would be. Any chance these 2 wheelsets were weighed?? and if so could it really be enough to sway someone to this conclusion??

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    this seems, on the surface anyway to be counterintuitive to what the results would be. Any chance these 2 wheelsets were weighed?? and if so could it really be enough to sway someone to this conclusion??
    I thought the same thing. I have a set of whisky carbon fat bike wheels laced to i9 hubs and they handle nothing like my derbys. The handling on the plus wheels is way sharper and faster rolling as well as more in tune with the suspension. It's much more consistent feeling to me. Don't get me wrong the fat wheels are a ton of fun but for me that's for winter as the limitations of the snow make the fat wheels more than a killer ride in the winter just know where near as fast

bigger than you.
    even wth the same rims, WTB Scrapers, laced to DT Swiss hubs, B plus tires are noticeably lighter, faster and sharper handing than with Bontrager Hodag 27.53.8 or 26x65mm with any number of tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It only makes sense to get a Bucksaw for 27.5+ if you will ride it fat during the winter, othetwise there are better bikes that weigh less, handle better, are narrower, with more pedal clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    It only makes sense to get a Bucksaw for 27.5+ if you will ride it fat during the winter, othetwise there are better bikes that weigh less, handle better, are narrower, with more pedal clearance.
    That's a fair point. If I lived where there was more chunk, I'd get a Pony Rustler.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    That may be true for a stock Bucksaw but heavily modified I can attest this bike is a weapon and would put it up over many of my recent bikes which include rocky Thunderbolt and 5010v2. With new suspension, longer travel quality fork and nice set of wheels this bike is rediculous. I actually sold my 16 Thunderbolt because I had no interest in riding it anymore! Hard to quantify to someone else though as most have only ridden a bone stock Bucksaw. My modded carbon bucksaw is a totally different animal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    ^ that says a lot! One factor that hasn't been mentioned is that FS fat bikes have a wider q-factor, which I find to be an advantage on sketchy downhills (feet wider apart=more stability). I know downhillers don't "need" wider q-factors, but I find it advantageous.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by sisu View Post
    ^ that says a lot! One factor that hasn't been mentioned is that FS fat bikes have a wider q-factor, which I find to be an advantage on sketchy downhills (feet wider apart=more stability). I know downhillers don't "need" wider q-factors, but I find it advantageous.
    if one applies a technique that makes this work for them, congrats

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Couple days ago I got the Bucksaw with Surly Nate 3.8" on 26" Marge Lite rims. Was not able to ride it yet due to the rain and above 32 deg temps but hoping to have some riding conditions in a week. I'm thinking it will replace my full size fat bike for the winter on which I run 26" Mulefut 80mm with 3.25" Vee H-Billie and Snowshoe XL studded for snow and ice. I really want a lighter faster rolling and more nimble bike for winter months. My regular season bike is Ibis SLR with 150mm front running 27" wheels. In in Chicago area and we have a good mix of single track XC, twisty, some downhills and a few highly technical rock garden type trails (Palos) right next to my house.

I'm very interested to build a set of 27.5" carbon wheels + 3" tires for the Bucksaw and keep the 26" + studded Dillinger 4's for snow and ice. Then sell my last fatty which I just build 3 weeks ago

Would love to hear more thoughts on 50mm verses 40mm rims with Bucksaw as well as tire combinations. I'm leaning towards 40mm rims.

Thanks!