Salsa bucksaw carbon plus build!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 64 of 64
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176

    Salsa bucksaw carbon plus build!

    So I thought I'd start a thread of my current build since I haven't seen a carbon bucksaw plus sized yet. Just received the frame and am waiting on headset to start but should be here tomorrow! For now here's a pic of the frame and I'll hopefully get to build it tomorrow! Major components will be fox 34 plus, derby wheels with onyx hubs and chromag everything!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    190
    I love the red
    Cannondale Super V700
    '14 Charge Cooker Maxi lefty and stuff

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    41
    I'm really interested in this. What sized plus wheel/tire set are you going to go with? Do you think it would fit a 27.5+ 3.8? I know Salsa is kinda conservative about tire size in the rear.

  4. #4
    Why so uptite?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    974
    Going to be nice!
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

    @tgi_cycling

    .

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Chayse22 View Post
    I'm really interested in this. What sized plus wheel/tire set are you going to go with? Do you think it would fit a 27.5+ 3.8? I know Salsa is kinda conservative about tire size in the rear.
    I'm putting derby carbon rims laced to orange onyx hubs. I am really stuck on onyx or true precision now as engagement is just unreal. I think the rear would handle it by looking as there is a lot of room back there. I'm going to try and start it tonight. I just pressed the BB and headset in yesterday but I'm dying to ride it so hopefully I'll have pics up soon. My colour scheme is orange on the red frame so hopefully it looks like what I'm imagining it in my head!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    I'm putting derby carbon rims laced to orange onyx hubs. I am really stuck on onyx or true precision now as engagement is just unreal. I think the rear would handle it by looking as there is a lot of room back there. I'm going to try and start it tonight. I just pressed the BB and headset in yesterday but I'm dying to ride it so hopefully I'll have pics up soon. My colour scheme is orange on the red frame so hopefully it looks like what I'm imagining it in my head!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looking forward to your build!

    In terms of hubs, have you looked at Kappius Component KH-1.5 hubs? Amazing engagement, beautiful aesthetics and overall top-notch quality/customer support. I own these myself and can attest to their performance. I believe the Kappius KH-1.5's (~305g) are quite a bit lighter than the Onyx (~470g) at the same-ish price.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    I did actually look at them and they look very nice and super light weight. I've had bad luck with good hubs lately tearing threw free hubs and internals so I was willing to take the weight penalty for the steel freehub and the sprag clutch. Hoping that there durability shines with a masher like me


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    190
    Just ordered a set of the nextie rims and I think I'm going with the Dirt Wizards. I'm hoping to get better traction in the corners. I realized they are heavier... But it doesn't seem like there's many options. What tires are you going with?


    Sent from my iPhone
    Cannondale Super V700
    '14 Charge Cooker Maxi lefty and stuff

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176

    Salsa bucksaw carbon plus build!

    Ok so here's what I got, derby rims on onyx rear hub hope front with scwalbe nobby nic 2.8's race face next sl cranks chromag bza stem and bar 35mm. Full xtr drivetrain 9point8 dropper post and chromag contact pedals. Came in at 28.5lb which I thought was pretty reasonable with flats and a few bling parts!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Calgarytrev; 06-17-2016 at 05:00 AM.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    41
    That looks really good. I have the Onyx hubs on my current bike, in Orange no less. you are only running the 2.8 NN in the back, correct? Think a Hodag 3.8 would fit? Also, what Width are the Derby's?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611
    Looks great, but how does it ride!?!? :-)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LewisQC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    542
    really nice build...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    467
    I want that bike!!!!

    please give us a full ride review.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Chayse22 View Post
    That looks really good. I have the Onyx hubs on my current bike, in Orange no less. you are only running the 2.8 NN in the back, correct? Think a Hodag 3.8 would fit? Also, what Width are the Derby's?
    A hodag should fit fine it is a fat bike frame after all!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176

    Salsa bucksaw carbon plus build!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Looks great, but how does it ride!?!? :-)
    First ride tomorrow I had extensive ride time on my bucksaw 1 on fat tires so will see tomorrow I'll have some pretty good insight into the differences in the plus size tires after a summer and a winter on an alloy saw on 70mm wiskeys!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Very sharp calgarytrev

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Very sharp calgarytrev
    Thx bro!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    so i got out for 2 rides yesterday and the bike performed very well. ill tell you having rear suspension again sure gives you some serious confidence in choosing lines! i set the shock up with 5 clicks rebound and 175psi at 30% sag and it performed very well for the most part. i was a little disappointed with wear it sat in full open mode climbing the long flat uphills as it felt very flat and muted almost like i was peddling in sand. sharp quick technical uphills that require bursts of speed involving roots and such it was very good and tracked extremely well. downhill was the same. i never bottomed the suspicion ring out even with 3-4 foot kickers and mach 10 berms so i was very pleased about that. the fork was great as to be expected it really shines on the fast stuff. frame is ridiculously stiff but the derbys contribute to that no doubt too however i love that feeling. compared to my ibis trans fat the bike climbed just as well but the front wheel was a little light at times but i attribute that to a new bike with slacker geo and got much better on the second ride with better body positioning. the bike manuals so bloody easy i was feeling like a youngster for most of the day!. handling is super sharp and i felt there is a huge difference between my whisky wheels i ran on my alloy bucksaw to the derbys. i did feel like its a totally different bike. anyway I'm hoping i can sort the muted feeling on long uphills but maybe i just have to use the lockout. i miss the climb switch on my dbaircs as thats what i base my feelings on when climbing now it felt that good to me. i also would consider the new float dps but don't know if it would be any better or if its just the bikes kinematics . id hate to spend money on a new shock and have it do nothing. anyway 10 more rides and ill really have a feeling for where and how the bike acts. heading out now for another double header, cheers!!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse13 View Post
    Looking forward to your build!

    In terms of hubs, have you looked at Kappius Component KH-1.5 hubs? Amazing engagement, beautiful aesthetics and overall top-notch quality/customer support. I own these myself and can attest to their performance. I believe the Kappius KH-1.5's (~305g) are quite a bit lighter than the Onyx (~470g) at the same-ish price.
    I don't think that hub will fin a Bucksaw...


    Sent from my iPhone
    Cannondale Super V700
    '14 Charge Cooker Maxi lefty and stuff

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    132
    Sweet build, the ibis transfat didn't last long


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Thread Killer
    Reputation: bucksaw87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    771
    Every time I see a thread about this bike, I get a little excited that someone made a thread about me
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Haste11 View Post
    Sweet build, the ibis transfat didn't last long


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The transfat was an awesome bike and super fun but my back couldn't take the hardtail riding 3 times a week. I was a cripple at the end of every weekend! Getting older sucks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87 View Post
    Every time I see a thread about this bike, I get a little excited that someone made a thread about me
    it's a bike that keeps on giving, to you.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176

    Salsa bucksaw carbon plus build!

    Well after about 20 hours of riding I couldn't be happier with my decision. The rear shock has been worked out and is really doing well with the fox 34 plus. Every rock or root is just eatin up by this bike and I find it vibration to be down substantially from my aluminum bucksaw. I had a 25k race on Saturday in which it was raining and super slick over a lot of roots and a lot of techy downs. I couldn't get over the traction and slow speed maneuvering I was getting out of the bucksaw. Everyone was slipping and spinning out and loosing traction on steep climbs and obstacles while I was wondering what was wrong with the other bikes almost all day. Very incredible machine and couldn't be happier. One of the things that gets me the most excited about this bike is how good it is on the dirt yet I get to ride it all winter with 4.0's. Well done salsa!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611
    "could"? haha minor typo I guess.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    "could"? haha minor typo I guess.
    Lol ya that's not good!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    So after a lot of riding on the rockshox rt3 I find it pretty good but not quite there for me. I've played with it a ton and just don't like where it sits in its stroke when pedalling and has almost a dead feeling when climbing to me. I've got a fox float factory dps with evol sleeve coming to replace the rt3 so hopefully I can get along with the fox a lot better!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    So after a lot of riding on the rockshox rt3 I find it pretty good but not quite there for me. I've played with it a ton and just don't like where it sits in its stroke when pedalling and has almost a dead feeling when climbing to me. I've got a fox float factory dps with evol sleeve coming to replace the rt3 so hopefully I can get along with the fox a lot better!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for all the reviews you've done. Please update after you get some time on the Float.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by sisu View Post
    Thanks for all the reviews you've done. Please update after you get some time on the Float.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No problem bro I'm just hoping it'll be interesting for someone that wants the same thing I want as i can't find much on many people that have modded up bucksaws for summer use. I'll post some pics as well once I get the shock. Should be closer to the end of the week.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    28,962
    HIGHLY doubt that a 27.5x3.8 would fit in the Bucksaw. 26x4.5 is SUPER tight, and some tires in that size range rub after they stretch out.

    I was tempted to go Fox 34 on mine (Bucksaw 1 frame, custom build), but didn't want to do a front wheel rebuild on my existing 26 fat wheels. So I opted for a 110mm travel Wren fork in 150mm width. It's currently in transit. A plus wheelset is on my list of things I want for this bike. 26 fat for wintertime, 27.5+ for summertime. I'm currently at 31lbs with the Bluto (and Hope/Nextie wheels), and the Wren will put me over 32. But it should be a ton better than the Bluto. The wheels will come after I get the suspension dialed. So far, I am happy with the rear shock on the Bucksaw. The Bluto is okay, but is definitely the weak link on the bike.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    441
    Let us know how you like the Wren!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    No problem bro I'm just hoping it'll be interesting for someone that wants the same thing I want as i can't find much on many people that have modded up bucksaws for summer use. I'll post some pics as well once I get the shock. Should be closer to the end of the week.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks man. Definitely interested. I've had my saw for over a year and run 27.5 + most of the time. I knew I wanted to mod it from day one, but like you I wanted to see what others were doing...but strangely, not many folks are modding them. I considered the CC dbl barrel, tuning the stock shock at Push etc.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Ok so I installed the new fox factory float tonight with the evol can. Doesn't come with evol under 2" stroke so had to add the extra volume can. I set it up 25% sag at 240psi for my 215lb weight. I'm going to start with it on compression setting 2 in the open position as I like my ride a little firmer. I'm also starting In the middle setting for rebound 6 clicks out from +. Here is a few picks and hopefully I'll have a decent comparison for you guys between the monarch rt3 and the fox shortly!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    HIGHLY doubt that a 27.5x3.8 would fit in the Bucksaw. 26x4.5 is SUPER tight, and some tires in that size range rub after they stretch out.
    They totally fit, with room to spare:
    Salsa bucksaw carbon plus build!-20160209_204421.jpgSalsa bucksaw carbon plus build!-20160209_204335.jpg

  35. #35
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    They totally fit, with room to spare:
    good to see folks experimenting instead of using the standard status quo.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    They totally fit, with room to spare:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160209_204421.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	1082976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160209_204335.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	1082977
    Sweet! I wonder if I the height would be an issue with the fox 34 plus? The width was fine with a Dillinger 4 and I have a lot of clearance right now so it looks like it would


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,068
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    good to see folks experimenting instead of using the standard status quo.
    my intention was to build up a set of Marge Lites, too, but I got a killer deal for WTB rims and tires via a sponsorship deal & it hadn't snowed yet, last January, so B+ seemed to be the best way to go, until we got 16" of snow... I was talking to Mike See & he'd taken some measurements & suggested that the Bontrager Hodag 3.8 x 27.5 might fit- I got another great deal and share enough, they're similar in height to other 4.0 tires, albeit slightly less wide, measuring 3.5" on 45mm WTB Scrapers. for my needs, they're more than worthy, making a set of Marge Lites wholly unnecessary. if anyone is searching, I have a spare rim and a lefty front, laced to a Cannondale hub that I'd love to get rid of...

  38. #38
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    28,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    my intention was to build up a set of Marge Lites, too, but I got a killer deal for WTB rims and tires via a sponsorship deal & it hadn't snowed yet, last January, so B+ seemed to be the best way to go, until we got 16" of snow... I was talking to Mike See & he'd taken some measurements & suggested that the Bontrager Hodag 3.8 x 27.5 might fit- I got another great deal and share enough, they're similar in height to other 4.0 tires, albeit slightly less wide, measuring 3.5" on 45mm WTB Scrapers. for my needs, they're more than worthy, making a set of Marge Lites wholly unnecessary. if anyone is searching, I have a spare rim and a lefty front, laced to a Cannondale hub that I'd love to get rid of...
    That is pretty interesting. Surprised they aren't taller. I thought they'd be closer to 26x5 territory.

    Just got the Wren installed on mine. Ready for some chunk.


  39. #39
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    That is pretty interesting. Surprised they aren't taller. I thought they'd be closer to 26x5 territory.
    They're kinda in the middle, in 4.25 territory for height, iirc.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    So I thought I'd start a thread of my current build since I haven't seen a carbon bucksaw plus sized yet. Just received the frame and am waiting on headset to start but should be here tomorrow! For now here's a pic of the frame and I'll hopefully get to build it tomorrow! Major components will be fox 34 plus, derby wheels with onyx hubs and chromag everything!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What fox 34 fork lenght are you using on your bike?

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    It's a 120. On my last alloy Bucksaw I ran a 120mm bluto so decided to stick with the same length however I did order the 140mm air spring and was just waiting for my next service to maybe try out the longer travel. I know it's not recommended blah blah blah but I think the Bucksaw slackened a touch more with a little more travel In the front would suit my style and terrain perfectly. The rear already feels like a 130mm bike instead of 100mm and I notice I consistently use all of my 120mm of travel on the fork.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    So after a lot of riding on the rockshox rt3 I find it pretty good but not quite there for me. I've played with it a ton and just don't like where it sits in its stroke when pedalling and has almost a dead feeling when climbing to me. I've got a fox float factory dps with evol sleeve coming to replace the rt3 so hopefully I can get along with the fox a lot better!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I see that Fox offers Float with EVOL sleeve in 7.5 x 2.0 size and up, but not in 7.25 x 1.25 which is the stock size for the Bucksaw. How did it fit?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    The bucksaw is 7.25x1.75 yes your correct you have to buy the evol sleeve seperately when stroke length goes under 2". Fit is great still tuning it so I will give a more detailed report once I have some credible time on it to compare to the monarch rt3


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    The bucksaw is 7.25x1.75 yes your correct you have to buy the evol sleeve seperately when stroke length goes under 2". Fit is great still tuning it so I will give a more detailed report once I have some credible time on it to compare to the monarch rt3


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks a ton for your reports, I'm very interested in doing this to my Bucksaw. Did you use the Monarch mounting hardware to install the Float, or did you get Fox bits to do it?

  45. #45
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,562
    That's a great looking bike! Love that colour.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    That's a great looking bike! Love that colour.
    Thx bro the paint job is well done on this rig for sure!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by sisu View Post
    Thanks a ton for your reports, I'm very interested in doing this to my Bucksaw. Did you use the Monarch mounting hardware to install the Float, or did you get Fox bits to do it?
    No problem bro glad it's useful to someone. I used the monarch hardware and trimmed the fox bushings to sit flush with collet so fit was the same! I'm kind of looking forward to adding the 140 hopefully before my trip to bc as I had A chance to ride a yeti 4.5c which has just over 100mm in rear and 140 in front and felt surprisingly balanced and super aggressive! I think that with the plus tires it could be a sweet combination for the bucksaw. I know a lot of people would worry about frame integrity but I feel this frame is so robust combined with me weighing 60lbs less than a friend that rides a bucksaw as well I'm not concerned about a frame failure!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176

    Salsa bucksaw carbon plus build!

    So I have about 6 rides with the new fox dps and to begin with I thought it to be a bit disappointing as I felt I couldn't get it to feel right at high speed. I played with air pressure and ran multiple sag settings with different rebound and found that if I ran the shock at around 240psi at 13mm of sag(27%) and left it fully open with compression setting on 2 it was exactly what I was hoping for! I haven't been using lockout for long climbs as it sits much firmer in the first 30% of its stroke but still reacts great to small bumps and roots. I lost that dead feeling I felt with the rt3 and feel much more connected to the bike now which is what I was hoping for it just took me several rides to figure out how to make the shock perform. On a side note I said screw it and decided to fully kashima this baby with the seat post too. I'll let you guys know what I think of it after several rides but I'll tell you the install compared to the 9point8 fall line was rediculously simple!

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176

    Salsa bucksaw carbon plus build!

    Pics for some reason are coming threw low res even though they are high res I'll check it out!

  50. #50
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    Wow those pics are ****ty lol I'll post better ones tomorrow !
    ya think??

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176

    Salsa bucksaw carbon plus build!

    Still not coming threw high resolution gotta take some new pics tomorrow. But in the mean time this bike shreds as a 27.5+ wouldn't trade it for anything right now.
    Last edited by Calgarytrev; 08-04-2016 at 08:06 AM.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    Still not coming threw high resolution gotta take some new pics tomorrow. But in the mean time this bike shreds as a 27.5+ wouldn't trade it for anything right now.
    Thanks for the report! I'm very tempted to give this a go on my 'saw...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  53. #53
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    Still not coming threw high resolution gotta take some new pics tomorrow. But in the mean time this bike shreds as a 27.5+ wouldn't trade it for anything right now.
    Ditto. I'm almost wishing that I'd got a pony rustler instead, but once it snows, I'll be glad that I can put 27.5x3.8" tires on, too.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpfurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Ditto. I'm almost wishing that I'd got a pony rustler instead, but once it snows, I'll be glad that I can put 27.5x3.8" tires on, too.
    Ginormous, I just had a 27+ wheelset build and keeping thinking I could have made a mistake not going 29+. I'm 6'3 and know you are a couple hands taller, has 29+ been a heavy thought for you? I know you are rocking a BS and not the best clearance for 29+, but do you feel you are missing out on 29+? Or is 27+ perfect for your riding and even better since you can throw a snow tire on it in winter?

  55. #55
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,068
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Ginormous, I just had a 27+ wheelset build and keeping thinking I could have made a mistake not going 29+. I'm 6'3 and know you are a couple hands taller, has 29+ been a heavy thought for you? I know you are rocking a BS and not the best clearance for 29+, but do you feel you are missing out on 29+? Or is 27+ perfect for your riding and even better since you can throw a snow tire on it in winter?
    My trails are a mixture of roots, east coast rocks, and logs, with really tight twisty sections. For the Bucksaw's geometry, nevermind clearance, the 27.5+ is perfect for most of the places i ride, giving a perfect balance of maneuverability, cush, acceleration and speed. A handful of guys i ride with run 29+ hardtails, but i'm not giving up a whole lot on them. 27.5+ also allows me to run just one wheel set for all occasions, plus and fat, so i've got that going for me, too.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Ditto. I'm almost wishing that I'd got a pony rustler instead, but once it snows, I'll be glad that I can put 27.5x3.8" tires on, too.
    What tires are you thinking about getting?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    441
    Interesting that the 2017 Bucksaw with have the Monarch RT Debonair on it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  58. #58
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,068
    Quote Originally Posted by sisu View Post
    What tires are you thinking about getting?
    I have a set of Bonrager Hodags, I'm also waiting to see what is released in that size at Interbike

  59. #59
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,309
    wow... that bike is sick!

    what spokes are those?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by sisu View Post
    Interesting that the 2017 Bucksaw with have the Monarch RT Debonair on it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is kind of weird for sure. I'm liking that green though!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    wow... that bike is sick!

    what spokes are those?
    Thanks brother! Looks crazy now with the kashima fork shock and post just got to get a decent picture posted!
    Spokes are Sapim race spokes. Cxrays we're going to take to long so I said screw it and went onyx derby Sapim race!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  62. #62
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    Thanks brother! Looks crazy now with the kashima fork shock and post just got to get a decent picture posted!
    Spokes are Sapim race spokes. Cxrays we're going to take to long so I said screw it and went onyx derby Sapim race!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    phew!
    from the angle of your pic I couldn't see the butting and I was going to shed a tear if you put straight gauge spokes on that bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calgarytrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    176
    Lmao no way bro I'd never do that! My winter rims are the same Sapim race laced with orange i9 hubs and whisky carbon rims and are also very solid wheels!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by sisu View Post
    Interesting that the 2017 Bucksaw with have the Monarch RT Debonair on it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, do you think the debonair can is a worthy upgrade for a 2016 carbon bucksaw?

Similar Threads

  1. salsa carbon bucksaw 27.5 plus!
    By Calgarytrev in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-19-2017, 06:36 PM
  2. Any Clydes on Salsa Bucksaw?
    By TitanofChaos in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2015, 08:23 AM
  3. (Help)_Noob to Glory: JW.K Salsa Bucksaw build.
    By evei0326 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2015, 01:21 AM
  4. Salsa Bucksaw, what size?
    By scottalej in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-13-2015, 05:47 AM
  5. My Salsa Bucksaw 2 build
    By Harold in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 324
    Last Post: 02-24-2015, 07:53 AM

Members who have read this thread: 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.