Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Rippin da fAt
    The Chronicles are not at their best for muddy, wet or loose conditions, period.

With either RR or NN, I have not had traction loss as I would with a 2.something tire. I don't run em hard as tungsten and have traction for days.
    The key is air pressure! A slight squish and they are velcro. Developing a lighter riding style is also greatly improving performance.

Climbing with Sarge has been by far, less daunting than many bikes I have ridden over the years. As a matter of fact, often times a 2.something bike is going slower on climbs than Sarge.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Glad to hear positive review on the fork. I am the same weight as you and have wondered how the performance would be on the Comp it if it would be worthwhile looking for a Pro, or spending the extra $$ to upgrade the air spring as was done by Goose. Interested to hear your thoughts on the fork after a few more rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by minivanpride View Post
    My next purchases for this bike will be a sensible set of 29er wheels/tires for variety's sake. Any recommendations on good cost-effective combos that keep with the ethos of the Sergeant?
    Im also interested in this question as I've got a defective rear hub and thinking of options. One of which is just buy a set of 29ers while I figure out how to deal with this hub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbouma View Post
    Im also interested in this question as I've got a defective rear hub and thinking of options. One of which is just buy a set of 29ers while I figure out how to deal with this hub.
    Didn't you just get the Sergeant? The hubs already going? I imagine it's covered under warranty?

Anyone know if the V2 wheelset with Durocs uses the same hubs at the V1 Mulefuts?

Rippin da fAt
    If you are still under warranty, get in touch with Alex straight away. He's been awesome at taking care of issues in short order.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    If you are still under warranty, get in touch with Alex straight away. He's been awesome at taking care of issues in short order.
    It's a month old but been acting weird since day 1. He put me in touch with Hays/SunRingle but they want me to send it to them. From Canada its expensive and doesn't make sense. I will try to fix it and I think they will supply the parts. It shouldn't cost me anything provided I can figure it out ok. I've never rebuilt a hub though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    It's a month old but been acting weird since day 1. He put me in touch with Hays/SunRingle but they want me to send it to them. From Canada its expensive and doesn't make sense. I will try to fix it and I think they will supply the parts. It shouldn't cost me anything provided I can figure it out ok. I've never rebuilt a hub though.
    Bummer, I've heard this was a common issue with the rear hubs, but I thought I heard that SunRingle had remedied the issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dernbiebs View Post
    Bummer, I've heard this was a common issue with the rear hubs, but I thought I heard that SunRingle had remedied the issue.
    Maybe I got new old stock or something. When it freewheels it makes a clunk and grabs the chain every rotation or so. But its not consistent. I can feel the chain jerk in my feet as I coast. Thankfully it still pedals although I get the occasional clunk and ping when pedalling too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I blew the hub on my v1 sergeant on the first ride (it was one of their demo bikes). Turned out that it had a defect in one of the slots where the pawl sits. I didn't notice that when I was trying to figure out what was wrong, but my mechanic did. Might be worth having someone local take a look at it and then you'll have a better idea of what the problem is when you talk to SunRingle. Just a thought- good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Well, I think I found the issue. Two pawl springs aren't working right. One isn't working at all, just loose. The other is gritty and sticky.

Is there a freehub upgrade available? The aluminum body was fairly gouged from the cassette rings. I'm gonna ask the Sun Ringle guy if a steel one is available.

mtbr member
    I had the exact same thing happen to me on my sergeant, Alex from rsd passed my info to Sun ringle and they sent me out a new pawl and spring set right away, I haven't had any issues with the hub since, I have had a couple of issues with the sun ringle rear hub on my mayor and ended up with the steel upgrade (the alloy driver was pretty gouged) , I haven't had the cassette off the mayor since the steel upgrade but I would assume that the gouging issues wouldnt happen on the steel. Get in touch with Alex, I've probably had more warranty issues than most with my 2 RSD bikes and every time I'm treated fairly and always come away from the experience happy with the end result, rsd hands down has some pretty awesome customer service thanks to Alex.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Im worried they're only going to send springs and pawls because something gouged the driver inside the hub too. You can see marks between pawls in this photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1zkt8232q...30254.JPG?dl=0

Those marks are only between the broken and good pawl. I sent the photo and mentioned it to Sun ringle but I don't think he understood. I think he probably was referring to the gouges on the outside of the driver, which are normal and expected.

Yes Alex has been doing his best, but I am quite frustrated with this bike. First the star nut creeped out and I couldnt assemble the bike. I dont live near an LBS so Alex sent a new star nut but it never showed up. I broke down after two weeks and drove to a shop to buy a $1 part and set the new nut myself. Assembled the bike and the brakes had a problem. Still dont know what was wrong but I could not safely ride the bike. Alex was great and sent new brakes without hesitation. New ones work. Got 5 rides on the bike and now the hub has me out for who knows how many rides. I gotta do the work on my brand new bike. I looked seriously at used and went new for reliability. Having a hard time enjoying the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    The guy from Hayes sent me new everything. Bearings and axle etc. Even sent the freehub body in chromoly like I asked about. I'm super happy about that. I should be back riding very soon and I am very happy about that!

Rippin da fAt
    The guy from Hayes sent me new everything. Bearings and axle etc. Even sent the freehub body in chromoly like I asked about. I'm super happy about that. I should be back riding very soon and I am very happy about that!
    Welcome to the world of mass produced parts. It has happened with projectors that retail over 100k and I got stuck with having to resolve it. Yus, it's a bummer when multiple issues arise and that can occur regardless of bike maker.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Welcome to the world of mass produced parts. It has happened with projectors that retail over 100k and I got stuck with having to resolve it. Yus, it's a bummer when multiple issues arise and that can occur regardless of bike maker.
    I understand that. The post you quoted was more of me saying I'm really happy with how Hayes handled the replacement parts. They sent everything to make sure I was covered instead of skimping out and sending just new pawls and spring or even just a new freehub body would have been all I expected. Instead I can rebuild the whole thing with what they sent. Awesome.

Rippin da fAt
    These days, any manufacturer that will go the extra mile bears paying attention to. With that level of service, they obviously are spot on with custy care as well as caring about their products bringing a good service life. If all were this way!

With 8 pages going, where are y'all riding your Sergeants? Let's see em in the wild enjoying some +bike habitat!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Sorry for a generic question on such a specific thread but I enjoy coming back to discuss the Sergeant. What maintenance do you perform on your bike prior to storage? Crazy question right? Unfortunately, I suffered a total tear of my distal biceps tendon last week. I'm going under the knife this week and won't be able to ride for a while. So, prior to an extended period out of the saddle, are there any specific maintenance items that I should make sure are good to go? Thanks.

Rippin da fAt
    Should be able to just hang it up and be good from there.

Keeping in a place away from exhaust fumes will preserve tires.

Speedy recovery, my friend....
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks, Banshee. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something specific that should be addressed. I appreciate the well wishes also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Maybe deflate the fork, leave it in the highest gear, make sure it's clean dry and lubed, and rotate the wheels everyonce in a while so the tires don't develope flat spots. Maybe overkill...

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Im worried they're only going to send springs and pawls because something gouged the driver inside the hub too. You can see marks between pawls in this photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1zkt8232q...30254.JPG?dl=0

Those marks are only between the broken and good pawl. I sent the photo and mentioned it to Sun ringle but I don't think he understood. I think he probably was referring to the gouges on the outside of the driver, which are normal and expected.

Yes Alex has been doing his best, but I am quite frustrated with this bike. First the star nut creeped out and I couldnt assemble the bike. I dont live near an LBS so Alex sent a new star nut but it never showed up. I broke down after two weeks and drove to a shop to buy a $1 part and set the new nut myself. Assembled the bike and the brakes had a problem. Still dont know what was wrong but I could not safely ride the bike. Alex was great and sent new brakes without hesitation. New ones work. Got 5 rides on the bike and now the hub has me out for who knows how many rides. I gotta do the work on my brand new bike. I looked seriously at used and went new for reliability. Having a hard time enjoying the bike.
    That messed up freehub looks just like mine! I have a 2016 Big Chief with Mulefuts. Sun Ringle SRC hub. I've about 500K on. I've had the rear bearings changed twice and yesterday I just changed the pawls and ratchet ring.

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...e-1081495.html

While I'm complaining, I had to have the SRAM Guide R levels warrantied because they wouldn't return in warm weather (known issue). I love this bike, but I've done more work on this bike in 18 months then an old Trek I ran for 13 years. None of this is RSDs fault though.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by stm32disco View Post
    That messed up freehub looks just like mine! I have a 2016 Big Chief with Mulefuts. Sun Ringle SRC hub. I've about 500K on. I've had the rear bearings changed twice and yesterday I just changed the pawls and ratchet ring.

While I'm complaining, I had to have the SRAM Guide R levels warrantied because they wouldn't return in warm weather (known issue). I love this bike, but I've done more work on this bike in 18 months then an old Trek I ran for 13 years. None of this is RSDs fault though.
    Frankly, I have done very little following the build of three RSD's. Being mindful that mass produced components are likely to have a %age of product failures when you are dealing with items produced in batches of a million or more. So, if we look at the total number of failed item x out of a production run of 1.25 million, where is the % of failure at?

With the Sram brakes, I had a lever fail and warranty was excellent. The Sram brakes are on the shelf for emergency situations and Hope Tech3 E4's are the daily driver. There's nothing like fitting F350 brakes to a Toyota SR5!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I need to get my Guide R brakes replaced for the same reason. What's the process to get them warrantied?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MinesPunk View Post
    I need to get my Guide R brakes replaced for the same reason. What's the process to get them warrantied?
    The bike shop I normally go to was very familiar the warm-weather problem. In my case, I took the bike in and they sent the levers away and put them back on. It took just under 3 weeks. SRAM has a 2 year warranty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have a feeling my SRAMs will be gone before I have any warranty issues. They just plain suck. I've increased the front rotor to a 203 and still not enought. Saints or Hopes as soon as I can afford them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have a feeling my SRAMs will be gone before I have any warranty issues. They just plain suck. I've increased the front rotor to a 203 and still not enought. Saints or Hopes as soon as I can afford them.
    XT is dual piston now too

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Rippin da fAt

Speak with Alex and he can direct you on this. LBS should have no issue with warranty if they are still covered.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hello people, I have just purchased a Sergeant frame and need some guidance on tires. I am looking for the preferred 2.8 tires for New England roots and rocks. I'll be on 40mm internal rims and interested in traction and durability more than speed.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    Hello people, I have just purchased a Sergeant frame and need some guidance on tires. I am looking for the preferred 2.8 tires for New England roots and rocks. I'll be on 40mm internal rims and interested in traction and durability more than speed.
    Maxxis has their DHR/DHF, Schwalbe offers Nobby Nic 2.8 snakeskin for a lil more durability. Ether should serve well.

And, bicycles do have motors... Look in the mirror to have a look at one!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Any Middlechild ride reports?

Should we start a new thread... Love the sarge but kinda itchin for some slack steel

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop01 View Post

Should we start a new thread... Love the sarge but kinda itchin for some slack steel

Fat-bikedotcom will have a spotlight soon and a subsequent review. I take those with a grain of salt, tho.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Maxxis has their DHR/DHF, Schwalbe offers Nobby Nic 2.8 snakeskin for a lil more durability. Ether should serve well.

And, bicycles do have motors... Look in the mirror to have a look at one!
    All good suggestions but I picked up a pair of Maxxis Chronicles for a discount...waiting for my frame. my 140mm Yari and my wheels. Drivetrain will be a 1x10 with all XO bits, XO brakes too, all from my old hardtail.

Rippin da fAt
    I have my original equipment Chronys. Never have used em again tho. Simply didn't like the feel or performance of them.
    Sounds like a solid build for ya. Let the adventures begin!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Well, now I have a really annoying creak that sounds like it's coming from the cranks. I was chasing my seat post, handlebars, etc. but I'm pretty sure it's the cranks. Anybody else have any creak issues with the raceface turbines? I'm debating pulling the cranks off and the BB apart and relubing and assembling to try and get rid of it. Any success stories would help. Thanks.

Oh ya, that's only 9 rides in on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I built mine up over a week ago. A new specific thread would be awesome. Can't figure out how to post photos on this forum for some reason. So far getting used to the bike, but like it more every ride.
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1
    2010 Giant STP SS

Rippin da fAt
    Well, now I have a really annoying creak that sounds like it's coming from the cranks. I was chasing my seat post, handlebars, etc. but I'm pretty sure it's the cranks. Anybody else have any creak issues with the raceface turbines? I'm debating pulling the cranks off and the BB apart and relubing and assembling to try and get rid of it. Any success stories would help. Thanks.

Oh ya, that's only 9 rides in on it.
    After two years of riding Sarge, he's behaving well and have not had the creaking BB crop up yet.
    An overhaul should resolve it. Lube the spindle as well as set the preload appropriately and you should be good to go.
    The Race Face BB has some form of thread locker compound on it from the factory that is supposed to prevent creaking from the BB shell/cup interface.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    After two years of riding Sarge, he's behaving well and have not had the creaking BB crop up yet.
    An overhaul should resolve it. Lube the spindle as well as set the preload appropriately and you should be good to go.
    The Race Face BB has some form of thread locker compound on it from the factory that is supposed to prevent creaking from the BB shell/cup interface.
    My raceface turbine /wolftooth CAMO was creaking... Not a stock RSD, either. Was way worse when i was cranking hard as a single speed.

I reinstalled and regreased. Never touched the bottom bracket. Check the spider bolts and especially the raceface preload ring. I haven't had problems in a while after the last cleaning and its super dusty here in socal.

Rippin da fAt
    My raceface turbine /wolftooth CAMO was creaking... Not a stock RSD, either. Was way worse when i was cranking hard as a single speed.

I reinstalled and regreased. Never touched the bottom bracket. Check the spider bolts and especially the raceface preload ring. I haven't had problems in a while after the last cleaning and its super dusty here in socal.

Creaking is below the stature of a Sergeant... Just sayin'!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks guys. Sounds like a re and re will take care of it. I'm even more positive that's the creak now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Just an update, I pulled out the cranks and quickly realized race face uses a different pattern on their BB spanner wrench thingy. Great. Why race face, why?? Anyways, I figured let's see if it's loose enough for channel lock pliers, fully expecting it would not be. Don't worry, I wrapped shop cloth around the BB. They were barely more than hand tight. Very little grease, and dirty. Cleaned it all up and torqued everything to spec, except the BB which had to go back on with the channel lock pliers, though were tightened more than before. Absolutely no creaking now. Hopefully it does not return, cause I just want to ride this thing.

Rippin da fAt
    Ryan, how are we gonna keep the park tool designers in a job if you and I are not forced to buy yet another specialty tool??

Glad the creaking was resolved for ya.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Speak with Alex and he can direct you on this. LBS should have no issue with warranty if they are still covered.
    For those that have had their Guide R brakes warrantied which parts need to go to the shop? Piston and lever or caliper? Maybe all of the above? Thanks for the help, hoping to hit the local shop this weekend to get the brake warranty done

Rippin da fAt
    For those that have had their Guide R brakes warrantied which parts need to go to the shop? Piston and lever or caliper? Maybe all of the above? Thanks for the help, hoping to hit the local shop this weekend to get the brake warranty done

Most likely just the affected component. Frankly, I replaced the Guides with Hope Tech 3 E4's and haven't looked back. Was 179 per axle and worth every penny.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

I took the levers in. I was going to fix it myself to avoid the 2-3 weeks of downtime, but you need some 0.9mm snap ring pliers to get the ring out.

This should have been a recall or something. I don't know anyone with Guide R's that didn't need to get this done.

Rippin da fAt
    I took the levers in. I was going to fix it myself to avoid the 2-3 weeks of downtime, but you need some 0.9mm snap ring pliers to get the ring out.

This should have been a recall or something. I don't know anyone with Guide R's that didn't need to get this done.
    I would agree. Frankly, I repaired my brakes after changing over to a set of orange Hopes and sold em.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

first ride on new build

Had my shakedown ride on my new Sergeant. This is the bike I've been looking for. Built up with full SLX drivetrain and brakes, XT hubs and bottom bracket with Easton Havoc bar, stem and seat post. I'll probably get a dropper 'cause this thing goes down fast!

Had a picture but it won't load.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Since I know the Sergeant were shipping with SunRingle Duroc 50 wheelsets with SRX hubs, if anyone needs a spare freehub driver, or wants to switch to an XD driver, I've got a few spares sitting around I'm willing to sell for $20. PM me if interested.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Has anybody sold their other bikes after getting a Sergeant? My XC hardtail and my rigid fatbike are advertised for sale as the way to pay for my Sergeant. But now I'm thinking that the Bronson has been rendered redundant.

Will I regret liquidating or have I discovered the holy grail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    Has anybody sold their other bikes after getting a Sergeant? My XC hardtail and my rigid fatbike are advertised for sale as the way to pay for my Sergeant. But now I'm thinking that the Bronson has been rendered redundant.

Will I regret liquidating or have I discovered the holy grail?
    If my 2016 sergeant had the front end geometry of the Middlechild I would buy a Ti version and liquidate all other bikes in my house. As it is now I'm holding onto my old school 26er with 160mm front and back for downhill entertainment

What do you mean front end geometry? As in....reach?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    What do you mean front end geometry? As in....reach?
    Reach and slacker head angle. I just like being a bit more stretched. If I could run 27.5x3.8 on the Middle child like I can on the sergeant the sarge would've already been sold

I actually determined that because the standover and head tube length don't change on the L/XL/XXL Sergeants, if you can fit a Large V2, you can also fit a XXL V2, and gain reach/ETT.

I just wish I could afford a custom XXL V2 titanium frame.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    My X9 derailleur self destructed yesterday. The arm just fell off while riding. Looks press fit to the derailleur body to hold the spring captive and that just separated and the spring fell out. Very frustrating as this is another break down I did not want to deal with. It was not due to a crash or strike and the bike has less than 200km on it!!!

In any case my question has to do with converting to 11 speed with a shimano groupset. Anyone know if the free hubs are 11 speed compatible or how to get one? I'm a little unsure of how all that works/goes together. Seems some freehubs are 11 speed with a spacer for the 10sp cassettes while some are 8/9/10 sp and need to be replaced to work with 11 sp.

If it's a lost cause I'll see about getting SRAM to warranty the derailleur. Funny, I was a SRAM fanboy until this bike. Shimano from now on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I actually determined that because the standover and head tube length don't change on the L/XL/XXL Sergeants, if you can fit a Large V2, you can also fit a XXL V2, and gain reach/ETT.
    From what I can tell that's exactly right. I have the XXL. It is a little long in terms of pedal strikes going over rock outcrops common around me, but does give nice reach when climbing steep stuff.

Rippin da fAt
    My X9 derailleur self destructed yesterday. The arm just fell off while riding. Looks press fit to the derailleur body to hold the spring captive and that just separated and the spring fell out. Very frustrating as this is another break down I did not want to deal with. It was not due to a crash or strike and the bike has less than 200km on it!!!

In any case my question has to do with converting to 11 speed with a shimano groupset. Anyone know if the free hubs are 11 speed compatible or how to get one? I'm a little unsure of how all that works/goes together. Seems some freehubs are 11 speed with a spacer for the 10sp cassettes while some are 8/9/10 sp and need to be replaced to work with 11 sp.

If it's a lost cause I'll see about getting SRAM to warranty the derailleur. Funny, I was a SRAM fanboy until this bike. Shimano from now on.
    Frankly, there has never been a derailleur to survive me. With X9 and three years and who's counting mileage, Sarge still has his X9 type II going nicely.
    The part that came apart was not staked properly and lead to an early failure. Check with your LBS for warranty on it. They might need your receipt for verification of warranty. If need be, reach out to Alex to get a copy emailed your way.

On the 11 speed side of things, what hub are you dealing with?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Frankly, there has never been a derailleur to survive me. With X9 and three years and who's counting mileage, Sarge still has his X9 type II going nicely.
    The part that came apart was not staked properly and lead to an early failure. Check with your LBS for warranty on it. They might need your receipt for verification of warranty. If need be, reach out to Alex to get a copy emailed your way.

On the 11 speed side of things, what hub are you dealing with?
    Derailleur are a common failure which is why I fear I wonít be helped.

Problem with going to an LBS is the fact that I didnít buy from them. I have my receipt from February, but how awkward to ask for help after not supporting them. I find it ironic. Iím sure they would too. Iíll ask Alex if he has a SRAM contact or something. I think Alex is tired of me as Iíve had a ďfewĒ problems.

Iíve been very happy with the shifting performance with it until this happened. So odd as Iíve managed to keep it completely out of harms way and then bam.

I have the SRC hub from the mulefut wheels. Not sure what else to say about them. I can pull the cassette off if that would help??

Thanks!

Rippin da fAt
    No need to pull it apart. I'll check into the compatibility of the existing driver and let ya know.

Alex is a good egg. He cares deeply about his business and clients, so not likely that he's finding issue with ya. The simple fact of the matter is that Sram should stand behind their products and you should get more than a few hundred km out of a derailleur. Give it a go as these X9's ain't cheap, low end parts.

The primary reason I like the 36-11 cassette is that the range is good and I can use a short cage RD for its compact cage.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi Ryan,
    No worries. Don't ever hesitate to reach out.
    When it comes to parts that have a high rate of wear and tear, it's very difficult to get a warranty from the manufacturer, but not impossible. Try your LBS anyway and see what happens.
    Your hub is an SRC with a 10/11spd Shimano driver. Good to go, if you want to switch to 11spd, as long as the cassette is not SRAM XD
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    Instagram - facebook

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RSD Bikes View Post
    Hi Ryan,
    No worries. Don't ever hesitate to reach out.
    When it comes to parts that have a high rate of wear and tear, it's very difficult to get a warranty from the manufacturer, but not impossible. Try your LBS anyway and see what happens.
    Your hub is an SRC with a 10/11spd Shimano driver. Good to go, if you want to switch to 11spd, as long as the cassette is not SRAM XD
    Alex, thanks for posting and that is great news about the 11 speed.

Iíll shoot you an email. I have a picture of the derailleur as it fell apart on the trail. I figure it will be hard to get warranty given the type of part, but Iíve never seen this before. Bent a lot of derailleur but this one hasnít a scratch (pure luck to be honest).

Rippin da fAt
    Derailleur are a common failure which is why I fear I wonít be helped.

Problem with going to an LBS is the fact that I didnít buy from them. I have my receipt from February, but how awkward to ask for help after not supporting them. I find it ironic. Iím sure they would too. Iíll ask Alex if he has a SRAM contact or something. I think Alex is tired of me as Iíve had a ďfewĒ problems.

Iíve been very happy with the shifting performance with it until this happened. So odd as Iíve managed to keep it completely out of harms way and then bam.

I have the SRC hub from the mulefut wheels. Not sure what else to say about them. I can pull the cassette off if that would help??

Thanks!
    An LBS not willing to go to bat for you is an LBS choosing to send you elsewhere for your next bike purchase, bottom line.

Here is the response from the manufacturer of your hub on the topic of compatibility.

If you currently have the shimano style fhb and plan to use a shimano drivetrain the standard freehub would work for 9 through 11 speed cassettes. 12 speed shimano requires a special freehub body and I do not believe the 12sp shimano drivetrain has been released yet. Regardless, we do not have a freehub for 12sp shimano as they have a special partnership with DT Swiss. For Sram, you will need an XD driver (Part #: 281-31520-K004) which will handle all 10-12 speed Sram XD Cassette bodies. If you have any additional questions please let me know.

Thanks,
    Nick

Nick Montee l
    Warranty & Technical Support
    Doctor recommended...

I've got a SRAM driver for sale for the SRC/SRX if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    An LBS not willing to go to bat for you is an LBS choosing to send you elsewhere for your next bike purchase, bottom line.
    I didn't mean a bike store wouldn't go to bat for me or at least try. I said I don't agree with having to go to a store for help. Take for instance if you and I both sold widgets on First Street right next to each other, and a customer shopped in both our stores. I have widgets for cheaper so the customer chooses to buy his widget from me. Then his widget breaks. Who should he go to for help? Me or you? Will you help him? Probably because you're nice. But what store is the logical place to get help? It would be my store. If your widgets cost more, maybe it's because yours are better or your have better service. That doesn't excuse me from not servicing my customer. And how would you feel if that customer came to me with his broken widget and I said "go next door to that Banshee Rune guy, he'll take care of you because he'll want to sell you a widget next time you need one". Does that actually make sense to you?

Being an ID company does not excuse this basic principle. Not sure why this is difficult for people to understand... From Amazon to Canyon I've only ever known ID companies to deal directly with the customer. In any case, Alex didn't have a contact at SRAM for me and I can't find one, so I'll figure it out on my own or with help from an LBS.

Here is the response from the manufacturer of your hub on the topic of compatibility.
    Thank you for double confirming this for me. I appreciate that.

Rippin da fAt
    It's not about where the original sale took place so much as time squandered. Sure, you can send the faulty component to Alex in Toronto and wait for a round trip to and from Canadia or visit the LBS and expedite the ordeal. I did this with my brakes when the went tits up. It is and was a known failed design that Sram has put out. When the replacement arrived, I promptly gave em away cause Sarge is my buddy and got a set of Hope Tech3 E4's in new black (read orange) for his birthday.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    It's not about where the original sale took place so much as time squandered. Sure, you can send the faulty component to Alex in Toronto and wait for a round trip to and from Canadia or visit the LBS and expedite the ordeal. I did this with my brakes when the went tits up. It is and was a known failed design that Sram has put out. When the replacement arrived, I promptly gave em away cause Sarge is my buddy and got a set of Hope Tech3 E4's in new black (read orange) for his birthday.
    I live in Canada and sending back wasnít even an option (or expected). Alex didnít even have a contact or a way to deal with warranties with SRAM by the sounds of his email.

Why are you moving the goal posts and arguing my perspective of not wanting to ask an LBS to service something someone else sold me. This is actually quite ridiculous. Surely Iím not crazy?? You donít see my perspective at all? Iíve been nothing but patient with this bike. I hoped to do YouTube vids and Instagram posts praising this up and coming bike company from my country. Started the day it arrived, and quite about 3 weeks into ownership. I cheer for the underdog any chance I get. But jeez man, thereís a breaking point. Alex had a contact for my hub at Hays that worked out well, but nothing for SRAM apparently. He told me to go ask an LBS. Ok no problem. Iím getting the hint from both of you. You love your sergeant youíve made that more than clear, but RSD isnít for me I guess.

Rippin da fAt
    The goal post is set in bloody concrete... Stated a possible time saver and got my fvckin head tore off and shyt down my fvcking throat.

Have a great day...

*turns off the light and closes the door*
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    The goal post is set in bloody concrete... Stated a possible time saver and got my fvckin head tore off and shyt down my fvcking throat.

Have a great day...

*turns off the light and closes the door*
    The time saver logic was never mentioned until your post above. Before the logic was the LBS wants to help me. Not sure how that isnít moving the goal posts in this argument.

BTW, your last post is a bit of an over reaction. Iím explaining my position and wondering how you donít see the irony in using an lbs. if you really canít see that, ok fair enough. Agree to disagree.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Iím re reading my posts trying to understand where your reaction is coming from. Possibly not reading it with the right tone. Youíve been helpful. Iím not ripping your head off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Just wanted to update this thread as I got an email from Alex yesterday. He said he put his feet in my shoes and thought he would be upset too. He put a new derailleur in the mail no questions asked. He assured me what I've experienced is rare, and I believe that. Most of us break our parts before they wear out.

So that was pretty cool of him and I may even be lucky enough to have it by the weekend and able to ride again. Thanks again Alex!

Rippin da fAt
    What occurred with your failed derailleur is a pin was not properly staked during manufacture. That happens in mass production as not each item is inspected but a few are pulled for spot inspection.

With my collection of bikes I do have many parts on the shelf that can get a bike on the trail while a replacement part is on its way.

On another note, I do business with High Ti Cycles on a routine basis. The owner has no direct access to component manufacturers but does go through suppliers such as QBP and BTI. Those rep companies will honor warranty no differently than Sram, Shimano or any other out there since it is their job to represent the product line.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Has anyone drilled their frame for an internal dropper? Thinking of doing this and looking for tips.

I rode a dropper equipped bike last week and it was way more helpful than I thought it would be.

Rippin da fAt
    I've done a few for others. It does take a steady hand to do well. Two holes and trim the salvage between holes, chamfer with a file for the hose/cable to resit in the opening without being damaged by sharp edges, away ya go.
    Doctor recommended...

Upcyclist
    I keep popping in here to see pix,

I am disappoint...
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kenais View Post
    Has anyone drilled their frame for an internal dropper? Thinking of doing this and looking for tips.

I rode a dropper equipped bike last week and it was way more helpful than I thought it would be.
    https://www.peterverdone.com/drillin...d-bike-frames/

Rippin da fAt
    Great writeup, Minespunk! That should help out the peeps thinking bout doing the internal routed dropper.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

I wouldn't dream of drilling a hole in my Sergeant but I wanted a nice,neat and reliable dropper. My Magura Vyron is just the ticket! Go wireless and leave the drilling to the Luddites.

This is coming from a guy who can't figure out how to post a picture of his bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I keep popping in here to see pix,

I am disappoint...
    Best post in a long time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Perfect, thanks!

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-21c4bfa3-d076-4d3c-b0df-00e42d4905a6.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Perfect, thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21C4BFA3-D076-4D3C-B0DF-00E42D4905A6.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	1213977
    No problem, that guy has a ton of good info on his site. How do you like the Terrene's in the snow?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Perfect, thanks!

Name:	21C4BFA3-D076-4D3C-B0DF-00E42D4905A6.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	1213977
    The Sergeant is a tallish stack bike to begin with. What size frame is this and do you feel you bought too small of a frame? Your saddle to bars ratio look right, but you're on stilts, dood.

This is often my issue with bikes. In general, they're designed around little guys.

I'm running 32mm of spacers, 70x10deg Thomson stem, and 38mm riser bars on my Stache to get it up where it should be. (Bars slightly above saddle)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No problem, that guy has a ton of good info on his site. How do you like the Terrene's in the snow?
    The Terrenes work great in packed snow conditions, the studs help a lot. They struggle on powder where a wider tire would be helpful. The local trails get packed out quickly so itís not a big deal for me, besides if the snow is good Iím going skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    The Sergeant is a tallish stack bike to begin with. What size frame is this and do you feel you bought too small of a frame? Your saddle to bars ratio look right, but you're on stilts, dood.

This is often my issue with bikes. In general, they're designed around little guys.

I'm running 32mm of spacers, 70x10deg Thomson stem, and 38mm riser bars on my Stache to get it up where it should be. (Bars slightly above saddle)
    Itís an XL and Iím 6í 3Ē, the size feels good. Itís defently my tallest bike. If I had a little longer stem Iíd try it but it feels good enough as is to not go out and buy one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Tire Size

Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    I built mine up over a week ago. A new specific thread would be awesome. Can't figure out how to post photos on this forum for some reason. So far getting used to the bike, but like it more every ride.
    Hey kryten, what width tires did you put on the Middlechild ?
    I am thinking of building one up and wondering what the maximum size of tire would fit in the rear ? RSD say 3" should fit but may rub a bit...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Kal View Post
    Hey kryten, what width tires did you put on the Middlechild ?
    I am thinking of building one up and wondering what the maximum size of tire would fit in the rear ? RSD say 3" should fit but may rub a bit...
    2.8 Rekons on 40mm id rims. They are far from true 2.8 in typical Maxxis fashion.
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1
    2010 Giant STP SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Done and doner, drilled at an angle and cleaned it up. Waiting for the trails to dry to dial it in.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-da30151b-1656-4c4c-86bc-e5b783005441.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-0843b33a-c225-4e5d-aab3-54ac2cacf5b3.jpg

mtbr member
    I wanted a dropper so bad for the sarge this summer I was considering drilling (external routed posts are generally more expensive and don't look as good) , but I didn't do it for 2 reasons, 1 it MUST void warranty anytime you drill a hole in the frame, and 2 with my luck drilling a small hole in the frame would be all it would take to eventually crack the frame and I'd be SOL because of reason 1. But to each his own I guess

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trials4evr View Post
    I wanted a dropper so bad for the sarge this summer I was considering drilling (external routed posts are generally more expensive and don't look as good) , but I didn't do it for 2 reasons, 1 it MUST void warranty anytime you drill a hole in the frame, and 2 with my luck drilling a small hole in the frame would be all it would take to eventually crack the frame and I'd be SOL because of reason 1. But to each his own I guess
    I had the same concerns with my 2016. I want a slacker hardtail for Western trails and considered eventually upgrading to a Ti Sergeant using the 2016 aluminum parts. I bought a Fox Transfer external post with a Wolftooth lever and couldn't be happier with that combo. I prefer external routing for all parts since it's easier to change out when needed

mtbr member
    Snow in September, wtf RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-p5pb16352583.jpg
    RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-p5pb16352582.jpg
    At least the sarge is taking it in stride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rigid carbon 27+ boost fork

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-6e674217-594f-4d1c-9387-63f0bac141db.jpgAnyone has tried theses chinese carbon forks with sarge, I plan to use one during winter coupled with a Minion FBF

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Snow in September, wtf Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16352583.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	477.7 KB 
ID:	1216439

Name:	p5pb16352582.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	392.5 KB 
ID:	1216440
    At least the sarge is taking it in stride.
    Is this V1 or V2 ? And what tire size are you running ? Looks fat !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Is this V1 or V2 ? And what tire size are you running ? Looks fat !

V1. Mine fits Bontrager Chupacabra 27.5x3.8 but others have had troubles with that one, guess I got lucky

mtbr member
    It's a v1 sarge. First pic is the way it's set up now with 3 inch nobby nics. The second pic was the way I had it set up over the summer with 2.6 nobby nic front and a rock razor in the back. I swapped tires to the 3" nns the night the second pic was taken Probably looks a bit fatter due to the mud and snow stuck in the tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    It's a v1 sarge. First pic is the way it's set up now with 3 inch nobby nics. The second pic was the way I had it set up over the summer with 2.6 nobby nic front and a rock razor in the back. I swapped tires to the 3" nns the night the second pic was taken Probably looks a bit fatter due to the mud and snow stuck in the tires.
    Awesome looking bike. I am thinking of getting one of these for winter riding. Based on you observation, do you think it would fit a 3.8 tire as advertised ? I know, its hard to say if you havenít tried but...Also how do these size ? I spoke to Alex and he recommended a medium for my 5í-11Ē height. I usually ride a L as I prefer a larger fit (long limbs). Donít want to get myself into buying a too small of a bike (again)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Awesome looking bike. I am thinking of getting one of these for winter riding. Based on you observation, do you think it would fit a 3.8 tire as advertised ? I know, its hard to say if you havenít tried but...Also how do these size ? I spoke to Alex and he recommended a medium for my 5í-11Ē height. I usually ride a L as I prefer a larger fit (long limbs). Donít want to get myself into buying a too small of a bike (again)

If it won't fit a Chupacabra you can get Maxxis 3.8 tires to fit. I'm 6'1" with a 36" inseam, bought a large and suspect I would've been comfortable on a XL. Where are you located? People on this sub come from all over and are pretty friendly, if someone is nearby you I'm sure they'll let you take one for a spin. I'm in Southeast Michigan if that helps

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    If it won't fit a Chupacabra you can get Maxxis 3.8 tires to fit. I'm 6'1" with a 36" inseam, bought a large and suspect I would've been comfortable on a XL. Where are you located? People on this sub come from all over and are pretty friendly, if someone is nearby you I'm sure they'll let you take one for a spin. I'm in Southeast Michigan if that helps

Thanks for the info. I am located in Toronto. I think I will go for a large then

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the info. I am located in Toronto. I think I will go for a large then

Pretty sure that's where RSD is located. If so I'm sure that Alex could arrange a test ride for you

mtbr member
    Sounds like a large is what you need. MinesPunk is right, talk to Alex and set up a test ride rsd is based in Toronto. I can't comment on the tire question, the biggest I've gone is the 3' nns all I can say is that the 3' fits with the slider in the forward most position. So if imagine sliding them back would free up some more room for a larger tire.
    Last edited by trials4evr; 09-26-2018 at 11:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    since Alex got me back in business I wanted to mention that I went into an enduro race with my Sergeant last weekend! Yup, only HT in the race. Got a lot of funny looks. Held my own too! I plan to do some XC races with it next year also. Itís a very well rounded bike if you can do that and not get destroyed.

mtbr member
    RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_0947.jpg

I went with the PNW Cascade dropper. Cheap and functional, I may upgrade to the new lever they just announced.

Got a new wheelset a few months ago, Oozy Spanks with Onyx hubs. There's no way I can ride Singlespeed on a regular hub again, the silence and instant engagement are really something else. I picked up the wheels used so they're narrower than what I would prefer at only 35id. It's a different feeling than a big 3.0 on a 45id that I've been riding for the last 3 years on various bikes but it hasn't lost any of the fun factor.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_1268.jpg

Kitted up for a bikepacking trip

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_1271.jpg

After bikepacking I rode it around for a day with nothing on it, snappy!

I'm moving to Scotland next week and sold all my other bikes and will just be taking the Sarg. Hope he's up for a sloppy winter of riding

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    How do you add photos to a post?

ETA Iím on a mobile. Maybe desktop is better for this?
    Last edited by ryanbouma; 09-28-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Rippin da fAt
    How do you add photos to a post?

ETA Iím on a mobile. Maybe desktop is better for this?
    On mobile, it may be different from puter since the site has a different appearance.

Under advanced, scroll down and select upload images.
    Doctor recommended...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast