RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated) - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    Typical.

Pfft! When I left there wasn't any snow it the damn state! Now my sister's mowing her 300' driveway. Serves her right!
    And Sarge and the Mayor have been out daily 2-3 hours each! I'm loving the ride.

Pfft! No snow for GFBD and I get outta Dodge and the shyt shows up! :/ I can't wait to ride a pair of 5.05's with really low air pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzler View Post
    You made the right choice hitting the desert with Sarge, especially Cat Mtn!
    Sarge and the Mayor are havin a great time here in the southern hemisphere of Arizona. 78 warm shorts n jersey degrees and a 2 hour ride for each bike. Little bastards are spoiled rotten!

Griz, you got that straight!

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_0777.jpg
    Here's Sarge having a good time.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_0726.jpg
    A Mayor living the life!

Hold on, gotta hug my RSD's again!!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Looks like your having fun.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    I would suggest a Fox Transfer, they also make an external and 150mm drop. I have one on my RSD Mayor fat bike. Been awesome for the 6months I've had it. Good luck with your build.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Just an FYI

So my build is coming along and fuuuuuk this thing has a long seat tube (470 on the med). I am cutting it very close for a 3" gravity dropper which needs 159mm of post showing; I think a Fox is outta the question as the externally routed one needs 174mm of post showing (100mm drop)... with a 470mm seatpost and 175mm cranks that's like a little over 32 inches. I'm around 5'9 and that ain't happenin.

I was kind of torn between these posts because the kashima and the blue looks so badass at the front of the bike and the Transfer seems to be getting good reviews. But, the GD is bombproof and light and I will still easily get behind the seat @ 3 inches.

Rocks belong
    How would 26x3.8 fit? I don't like the height of 27.5x3.8
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Rippin da fAt
    Hokie, I'd say they might be an issue. Having the 27.5 maxxis in hand and it's grossly narrower than, say, a Knard 26x3.8.

I find the 27.5 to be as nimble and fun as my 13 26" bikes...
    Doctor recommended...

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Hokie, I'd say they might be an issue. Having the 27.5 maxxis in hand and it's grossly narrower than, say, a Knard 26x3.8.

I find the 27.5 to be as nimble and fun as my 13 26" bikes...
    Have the ability to measure width? Both casing and knob for the Maxxis on a 50mm 27.5 rim?

I've got Surly Rabbit Hole 50mm 26+ rims and a Surly Nate 3.8 as well as a On One Floater 4.0 that I can measure to compare against the 27.5 3.8" Maxxis/50mm rim combo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Just ordered a Sergeant. BTW RSD has 35% off their 2016 bikes other than the fat bikes. Alex said it should ship today. Going to go ss with it.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by HughMann View Post
    Just ordered a Sergeant. BTW RSD has 35% off their 2016 bikes other than the fat bikes. Alex said it should ship today. Going to go ss with it.
    good for you human

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Really trying to behave and not order one of these until I sell off my road bike. Good thing the discount doesn't apply to the titanium bikes. Wife would be pissed at my lack of self control

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rippin da fAt
    There's a few peeps running SS with theirs and loving it. "SS makes you strong fast". (courtesy of StokliBoy)

Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Have the ability to measure width? Both casing and knob for the Maxxis on a 50mm 27.5 rim?

I've got Surly Rabbit Hole 50mm 26+ rims and a Surly Nate 3.8 as well as a On One Floater 4.0 that I can measure to compare against the 27.5 3.8" Maxxis/50mm rim combo.
    I've to date never measured a tire bead to bead, only mounted and inflated to my favorite pressure. Needless to say, I'll mount em up on i45's and get you a measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by MinesPunk View Post
    Really trying to behave and not order one of these until I sell off my road bike. Good thing the discount doesn't apply to the titanium bikes. Wife would be pissed at my lack of self control

Don't wait too long cause that is an opportunity you would not wanna miss out on...When the 2016's are gone, they're gone and so is that lovely 35% discount. Shipping is included with the sale price and no sales tax is another bonus, just sayin'.
    Wife enrage timer started...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone that tried running the 3.8's have problem with rubbing? The front works like a charm but the rear is rubbing on one side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_1199.jpg  

Rocks belong
    I've to date never measured a tire bead to bead, only mounted and inflated to my favorite pressure. Needless to say, I'll mount em up on i45's and get you a measurement.

Thanks (and sorry!). I was asking mounted dimensions, width for knob & casing. Not the b2b.
    Does anyone look at the chainstays and go Dang! Look at how much shorter they could've been? (Remove the part highlighted in yellow)

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-bike.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    I haven't found a need. Sarge is playful enough...

Skiffer, is the slider all the way back?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I haven't found a need. Sarge is playful enough...

Skiffer, is the slider all the way back?

Thanks, you nailed it. Moved the slider back and I have the clearance I need. Can't wait to try this thing in the mountains tomorrow.

Rippin da fAt
    Sarge looks funny wearing his 3.8's but rides well. 6 psi f, 8 psi rear and away we go! Feels slightly different but the ride is good.

Playtime mode = 3.8's, dirt race mode = Rocket Ron 3.0 LiteSkin's 9 psi f, 11 psi rear for a beanpole to ride the fun ride.

I love my Sarge, he's the fun ripper that doesn't know he's not a BMX at times! Hmm, BMX bars...

Glad you sorted that fit issue, now you can go play in the sand box with your friend!
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiffer709 View Post
    Anyone that tried running the 3.8's have problem with rubbing? The front works like a charm but the rear is rubbing on one side.
    While I don't own a Sarge, I've often thought RSD could improve that junction somehow, as it does seem needlessly large. Although, it's quite possible it was done to accommodate chainring clearance. Maybe Alex will chime in.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post

Measured at an overinflated 20 psi... 90.3mm at the edge of the treads which are wrapped around the side of the tire nicely. The casing is not wider than the tread on these which is required for my interest in any tire.

While I don't own a Sarge, I've often thought RSD could improve that junction somehow, as it does seem needlessly large. Although, it's quite possible it was done to accommodate chainring clearance. Maybe Alex will chime in.
    Guess I'm gonna have to say it!! It's primarily for chainring clearance. Lest ya wanna run a 26t or smaller. This is due to the clearance for a 3.8 to stuff in there and actually work. Others have mentioned the CS length, I find that I can float the front end exceptionally easily with the slider set to the center and manny's and wheelies are done by telepathy with Sarge. Getting up on the rear wheel is almost as though I'm riding my Red Sky. CS length can be fickle when the rest of the frame is ignored over the CS measurement itself. It defies conventional thinking is the fact of riding a Sergeant.

A note to the folks that have not thrown a leg over the 2016 Sergeant: Ya gotta ride it to understand its characteristics and behavior. The balance zone of this bike is an 18" window. That is huge. Not many bikes can offer such a wide range of wheelie/manual operating elevation.

I purchased Sarge with BB height and seat tube angle in the real world based on the A/C of the installed fork after having a week with the bike and daily shakedown rides that involved various trail conditions and proper observed trials. I took Sarge on the trip to JunkTown so that after his adoption he could experience 18 Road, Mary's loop, Horsethief as well as Tabeguache in it's entirety. Yes, it was an all day affair on the trails.
    If I make the trip to JunkTown, two bikes are going along... Worthy destination, indeed!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Only two rides so far, but this bike is fun as hell.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-rsd-sarge2.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop01 View Post
    Only two rides so far, but this bike is fun as hell.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RSD Sarge2.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	1118768
    You're gonna really enjoy the Sergeant. I love mine cause of how playful a bike Sarge is. Can't get enough...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Mine should be here today. I am going to order the single speed stuff soon.

Rippin da fAt
    Hugh, Stop hovering at the front door!

Can't wait for the pix and ride reports to come in.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Can't wait for the pix and ride reports to come in.
    Ride report will have to wait as the trails around here are utter garbage right now. Most are closed or are asking you not to ride as it has been really wet and raining every couple days it seems.

nvphatty
    Ride report will have to wait as the trails around here are utter garbage right now. Most are closed or are asking you not to ride as it has been really wet and raining every couple days it seems.
    human don't be that guy cuz you'll have the couch next to the front [email protected]@

Rippin da fAt
    No excuses! There's always the rip around the neighborhood to enjoy your new bike. I run errands with mine regularly cause it's fun to ride the fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    No excuses! There's always the rip around the neighborhood to enjoy your new bike. I run errands with mine regularly cause it's fun to ride the fat.

waiting for the single speed stuff now. and the pedals.
    RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-kubk49ph.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Sarge doesn't like that pic.
    No disassemble!

Doctor recommended...

nvphatty
    Sarge doesn't like that pic.
    No disassemble!
    booo whoooo, wwwwwhhhhhhaaaaaa

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    booo whoooo, wwwwwhhhhhhaaaaaa
    Punkin's not too fond of that one either!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    need to assemble it and then find a solution to pack it to take to Wisconsin in may. Likely Bikeflights in the rsd box it came in.

Rippin da fAt
    Aviating a bike can be absurd in price. I completely understand the need to take your bike with ya. I rarely travel without one or more of my bikes being involved. Gotta love it when you can break out your own bike as opposed to a rental.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That's why I bought a Pika Pack works bag a few years back. When I check it in I say it's sporting equipment or a massage table. Never had to pay a bike fee since and with how airlines screw us on the regular I don't lose any sleep over it.

Rippin da fAt
    Baggage handlers are like a bull in a china shop. An Anvil case sounds more in order for the well being of a bike.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Baggage handlers are like a bull in a china shop. An Anvil case sounds more in order for the well being of a bike.
    That's what I was worried about at first. I have over 40 flights on this bag with steel, aluminum, carbon and ti bikes, no damage to Amy of them so far. That being said I do always wonder when something will happen

Rippin da fAt
    Hardcore insurance is a must! I'm overprotective of my bikes cause they are hard to afford in the first place, so yeah homeowners insurance policy can be of assistance tho'. Worth checking with your insurance carrier just in case.
    Doctor recommended...

western NC
    I know at least for my policy, it only covers them at home.

Rippin da fAt
    Time to shop around cause my insurance does cover away issues. And a Sergeant worth protection...
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    need to assemble it and then find a solution to pack it to take to Wisconsin in may. Likely Bikeflights in the rsd box it came in.
    I usually prefer to ship it UPS to a local shop where I'll be visiting than to take on a plane with me. Just another suggestion.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I usually prefer to ship it UPS to a local shop where I'll be visiting than to take on a plane with me. Just another suggestion.

yea bikeflights shipping it from my house to my friends house is only like $60 round trip so that is looking like the best option..

western NC
    Time to shop around cause my insurance does cover away issues. And a Sergeant worth protection...
    Are you sure it would cover 100% replacement cost? If so, mind if I ask who you have your insurance through?

Rippin da fAt
    You'll be asked for receipts on the bike and its equipped parts.. Farmers insurance co. I have the same policy as a close friend that had filed a claim on a stolen bike and in less than a week had received payment.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-luzooir.jpgHere it is at the moment, It is my first bike i am building myself so i am taking my time.

Rippin da fAt
    Hugh, that gives new meaning to "paraplegic"!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    i really need to get a bike work stand. it was a pita getting it that far without one.

Rippin da fAt
    Toss the seat/seatpost in and turn it upside down, go to work. You'll even be able to dial in the rear derailleur.
    Wheels go in nice and easy too...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    i meant for putting the fork/bearings/stem on

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Agreed. Although I have done that work using my car rack. A work stand does make it much easier but the car rack will also work in a pinch

Rippin da fAt
    The headset was pressed before delivery, no? Come on, get that thing built up cause everyone in the thread wantsta ride it!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    i mean getting the bearings on the fork and the stem on while the bike is not secured.

nvphatty
    i mean getting the bearings on the fork and the stem on while the bike is not secured.
    don't mind these fuggahs any just do your thang.

Rippin da fAt
    I see how it is! We get to ride it when it's done and you're not helping our cause!

Doctor recommended...

Moderator Moderator
    New Sergeant owner here in Ontario. Feast your eyes on this bike porn.

nvphatty
    oh man that's a beauty!

Rippin da fAt

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)

Sarge's cousin makes the sergeant thread! Gratz Bric!

Sent from over here to over there...

Blue is the new orange...
    Doctor recommended...

nvphatty
    Sarge's cousin makes the sergeant thread! Gratz Bric!

Blue is the new orange...
    you best find better bait than that troller.

Rippin da fAt
    Roflmao

Sent from over here to over there...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    here it is now. all i have to do is put the chain on and set the rear dropout length.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_20170209_201014.jpg

nvphatty
    here it is now. all i have to do is put the chain on and set the rear dropout length.
    dig them orange pedals human since i have the same..now for a orange seat post clamp and maybe stem spacers would be wild.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Well, I gave up. I put my deposit on a 2017 a couple months ago, but then RSD had to go have a 35% off sale. Not to mention reading all your posts and looking at all these pictures... Now my 2016 is in the mail! I haven't ridden one yet, but I got to believe this is one of the best bike deals ever...
    Last edited by tjstlouis; 02-09-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Rippin da fAt

Name:	IMG_20170209_201014.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	1120586

I'm gonna eat some glazed donuts and take it for a quick spin!
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by tjstlouis View Post
    We'll, I gave up. I put my deposit on a 2017 a couple months ago, but then RSD had to go have a 35% off sale. Not to mention reading all your posts and looking at all these pictures... Now my 2016 is in the mail! I haven't ridden one yet, but I got to believe this is one of the best bike deals ever...
    TJ, you're gonna love it! Gratz, Dood!!

We're a bad influence in the Sarge's Sergeant thread.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    it also seems like i can only fit a 75mm dropper post. 130-135ishmm of post showing

Rippin da fAt
    it also seems like i can only fit a 75mm dropper post. 130-135ishmm of post showing
    @.o
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    i have short legs

Rippin da fAt
    We can throw ya on a rack and stretch em...

I rarely ride with full extension since I play too much to make it useful. Perhaps you can ride with the seat down some for the majority of playing and just slam it when needed. Also trying to keep Sarge svelte.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I had the same problem. Got a gravity dropper, removed boot.

Looks good, light, durable as fvck. 3 inches is plenty (ha!)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

western NC
    ^^Gravity Dropper here sans boot for over two years, no issues. Love my GD.

You'll be asked for receipts on the bike and its equipped parts.. Farmers insurance co. I have the same policy as a close friend that had filed a claim on a stolen bike and in less than a week had received payment.
    Ah, thank you sir. I'm going to check into that then. Great looking bikes BTW, if I didn't already have too many....

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post

Ah, thank you sir. I'm going to check into that then. Great looking bikes BTW, if I didn't already have too many....
    You're welcome. I'm still on the fence with dropper posts. Another note, you don't have enough of em if there isn't 2 in each room of the house.
    Doctor recommended...

western NC
    Three in the house, four in the garage along with two motorcycles. And, Farmers doesn't offer coverage in my area. I'll never be without a dropper again. Takes a little getting used to, but becomes second nature just like shifting. My favorite thing is lowering just slightly for technical terrain so I can splay my knees out for balance. Even both my single speeds have dropper posts. LOL

Rippin da fAt
    Three in the house, four in the garage along with two motorcycles. And, Farmers doesn't offer coverage in my area. I'll never be without a dropper again. Takes a little getting used to, but becomes second nature just like shifting. My favorite thing is lowering just slightly for technical terrain so I can splay my knees out for balance. Even both my single speeds have dropper posts. LOL
    Raise the question with local insurers. It's worth a little piece of mind.
    I use platform pedals so I can do balance checks without any drama. I need to check out the various options in droppers cause those that I experienced while on the +crusade had slop in em and that was a deal breaker. I know the latest crop has improved.

Aaannnndddd, no Sergeant?!?!?!
    Doctor recommended...

western NC
    I have, they want ridiculous rates to insure my bikes away from home. The most reasonable option I've found, is velosurance at about $400 a year for 100% coverage.

I ride platforms as well, don't care for being clipped in while riding technical stuff, but to each their own. My Gravity Dropper has a tiny bit of slop in it, but that's after over two years of riding with a Clyde plopped down on it, and it's not noticeable while riding it. And I can simply order a new bushing to fix it, and install it myself easily.

No Sarge, recently got a 29+ though and I'm really digging it. Love the look of the Sarge though. I have a really hard time ordering bikes in the blind anymore, I need to ride one first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Excited to see 3.8 Minions fit front & back on the '16. Does anyone know if these will fit with Pike on the '17?

Only 'issue' I may have is I'm unsure about the reach. I'm 5'9" and my two bikes have 425 and 428 reach in 'M'. Even 'L' RSD is still shorter. Last winter I was super excited about the orange rigid Mayor, liked specs, price, aesthetics, but at the LBS they insisted to put me on 'M' and I knew right away it won't work for me. I'm afraid I'll have the same issue with Sergeant. I will have to find out somewhere where I can test ride it.
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2010 Giant STP SS

Moderator Moderator
    I'm already thinking of adding a dropper post on mine. Gravity Dropper looks to be the king of reliability, does it work well on muddy rides without the boot?

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    Excited to see 3.8 Minions fit front & back on the '16. Does anyone know if these will fit with Pike on the '17?

Only 'issue' I may have is I'm unsure about the reach. I'm 5'9" and my two bikes have 425 and 428 reach in 'M'. Even 'L' RSD is still shorter. Last winter I was super excited about the orange rigid Mayor, liked specs, price, aesthetics, but at the LBS they insisted to put me on 'M' and I knew right away it won't work for me. I'm afraid I'll have the same issue with Sergeant. I will have to find out somewhere where I can test ride it.
    There's two things goin on here, numbers on paper and numbers in the real world. My large feels nicely long and has a 70mm stem with 800mm 25mm rise Loaded AMX bar. If you contact alex and he makes arrangements with the LBS to get one for you to throw a leg over, you will be pleasantly surprised. As for the LBS trying to force a M down your throat, stand your ground. I'm 6' even (without considering shrinkage due to scoliosis) with long ass arms, so 800mm bars are the cat's meow. Luckily, Alex made arrangements for Sarge to go out on a week long test ride. It was da bomb! The end of the week arrived and I adopted a shiny new blue bike. Aaannnddd continue to bring him trinkets! Today's trinket, blue valve stems and tubes out, stems in and pumped up with the Lezyne micro drive HV. NN's are holding air nicely without sealant. 5 minutes a wheel, very pleased, indeed! Now, if brown Santa would hurry up and deliver my orange chainring!

Bric, why not keep the boot in place to keep the dropper mint? Curiosity...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Cuz it's fugly

Rippin da fAt
    Cuz it's fugly

-_-
    Doctor recommended...

Moderator Moderator
    Just wondering how people see it hold up without the boot. I would have liked to get the Race Face / 9point8 post (mechanical locking mechanism) but RSD didn't think to include stealth cable routing. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Lots of discussion on the GD sans boot

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    9.8 Fall Line would be my choice w stealth and enough seatpost height to play with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Cuz it's fugly

I bought a used GD this summer for my winter bike and it came without a boot. Previous owner said he ran it without issues that way. I picked up a boot for $5 and use it with one. Overall, happy with the post. When I first saw one I was turned off by the looks, but now I actually like it, just looks functional and it certainly is. Imho it actually looks perfect on an aggro industrial bike such as sergeant.

Either way from my prior quick research, it should be fine without.
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2010 Giant STP SS

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    These blue bikes are breeding like rabbits..
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Idea!

There's two things goin on here, numbers on paper and numbers in the real world. My large feels nicely long and has a 70mm stem with 800mm 25mm rise Loaded AMX bar. If you contact alex and he makes arrangements with the LBS to get one for you to throw a leg over, you will be pleasantly surprised. As for the LBS trying to force a M down your throat, stand your ground. I'm 6' even (without considering shrinkage due to scoliosis) with long ass arms, so 800mm bars are the cat's meow. Luckily, Alex made arrangements for Sarge to go out on a week long test ride. It was da bomb! The end of the week arrived and I adopted a shiny new blue bike. Aaannnddd continue to bring him trinkets! Today's trinket, blue valve stems and tubes out, stems in and pumped up with the Lezyne micro drive HV. NN's are holding air nicely without sealant. 5 minutes a wheel, very pleased, indeed! Now, if brown Santa would hurry up and deliver my orange chainring!

2017 is about perfect spec wise provided it fits me well, it would have to be L, can't imagine being cramped on a M. '17 has 760/50 cockpit and '16 has 720/70. From the chart does not appear top tube is longer on the '17 so is it safe to assume, '17 is actually slightly shorter in reach then? Yes, wider bar will compensate some. I'm ok swapping with swapping to 60mm stem.

'16 is an amazing deal, but would want to make some changes from stock spec, while '17 is spot on. I like the slacker HTA.

The only question apart from fit is if Pike fits 3.8s. I'm guessing it may not and probably nobody had a chance to try yet. Then again, Pike is highly regarded and with a bit of luck could be traded for boost Fox 34 or sold/bought for minimal loss? Would that be reasonable to assume? Also someone here could maybe entertain working out an upgrade to Pike from Magnum?...
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2010 Giant STP SS

Rippin da fAt
    The two changes in geometry are HT angle and BB drop. As for the Pike, Alex?? Car 54, Alex???
    I gotta say, I love the 16 and 17. I'm eyeballing a Wildcat at the moment cause there's an opening for a full squish and Turner isn't making a +squish yet. Dave cut me offa custom frames too, stick in the mud!

Sarge is hanging out with blue valve stems and tubeless Nobby Nic's. Holding air without sealant, not too shabby. I'll take him out on a trail tomorrow for a shakedown. Seems so easy and reliable with the Scraper i45's.
    Doctor recommended...

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    I'm already thinking of adding a dropper post on mine. Gravity Dropper looks to be the king of reliability, does it work well on muddy rides without the boot?
    Dunno, our trails don't hold up to riding them when muddy. But I've been caught mid ride by storms and it's gotten filthy and has held up fine.

mtbr member
    I'm getting really serious about pulling the trigger on a Ti Sergeant but having a hard time without throwing a leg over one. I talked to Alex today and he was great! He answered all my questions, but the 72degree seat angle still worries me. With such a slack front end I was thinking about trying a fork in the 120-140 range. It's hard to calculate because the Geo chart on their website is based on 550mm fork with no sag. So a 140mm with 20% sag would bring the HT=67.8 ST= 73.3 and the BB at -55. Thinks looks great for me on paper, but only if I'm reading there chart correctly and I didn't Fat finger my math. Thoughts?

Rippin da fAt
    jp, you can only do Fat finger math in the fatbike forum... :/
    Were you not able to get a demo arranged with a LBS?

I really can't blame ya for being on the fence with it. After all, a major purchase.

Interesting that you are the opposite of me. I have my seat slammed all the way back and love it. It has no effect on climbing for the most part and when it gets steep I ride forward on the seat. Thankful for the trailmaster DT having a soft wide nose to make it possible.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I'm wondering if the Ti geo has the same great climbing sensation. They are almost completely different machines. It's either pull the trigger or throw a Wren/Fox boost on my Beargrease. I already have plus wheels so I'm really struggling with making a decision.

Rippin da fAt
    jp, I can understand that one! I know of a couple peeps that have the Ti Sergeant and say the same I do of its climbing prowess. One of em is using 29+ wheels on his, which is only possible with the Ti frame. I determined that I bought a fatbike to be a fatbike and Sarge can be a + or a fat, hmm, semifat with Maxxis FBF 3.8's but is mostly wearing his 3.0's.

Best wishes on your decision process. Difficult, you bet!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    For the guys running 29+ on the Sarge, did they go with a shorter travel fork?

Rippin da fAt
    120mm fork on it with 29+.

Personally, I like b+ better for all my riding antics. More flickable and that is important to me.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well, just pulled the trigger on a 16 so I'm joining the RSD Sergeant ranks! Curious what others did to set up their forks on this rig, it's my first time with a Manitou product.

Last edited by MinesPunk; 02-22-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Rippin da fAt
    Well, just pulled the trigger on a 16 so I'm going the RSD Sergeant ranks! Curious what others did to set up their forks on this rig, it's my first time with a Manitou product.

Set the air pressure, twist the top knob to affect compression and twist the bottom knob to affect rebound. It's a very straightforward fork. Iv'e been riding mine for a year and enjoy the playful attitude Sarge has.

More importantly, welcome to the Sergeant club! You're in for a real treat the moment you throw a leg over your new friend.
    Doctor recommended...

nvphatty
    You're in for a real treat the moment you throw a leg over your new friend.
    had a gal like this once upon a time.

Trying to be helpful
    120mm fork on it with 29+.

Personally, I like b+ better for all my riding antics. More flickable and that is important to me.
    IDK, 29+ seems plenty flickable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VdpWIgmCmI
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt
    Not! That's why my Rune still has a job!

29+ is sluggish and consumes far too much fuel.

nvphatty was at bunny ranch? @.o
    Doctor recommended...

nvphatty

nvphatty was at bunny ranch? @.o
    lotsa dem ranches in these parts but i'm not sure if there was bunnies or rabbits.

Rippin da fAt
    Either way, you were havin fun!

Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Got the Sergeant on my doorstep today. Will build it up this weekend and take it for a shakedown ride. Anyone have info on how these tires will perform on wet roots/sand? Suspecting I may need bigger knobs for michigan dirt. Other than that I am going to try and swap the brakes for Shimano XTs to keep my fleet consistent. Might also pit on a trip shifter since I'm weird like that. I'm looking forward to figuring this whole plus size thing out, so is Kali the trail dog.

Rippin da fAt
    Looks like a pair of Sergeants in the works! Good stuff.
    I changed out the Chronicles with Rocket Ron's immediately.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by makpak42 View Post
    Kondra,

I ride the 2016 Alum Sergeant. I'm sure you saw my post above. I too was on the fence about ordering a bike I haven't ridden. Had a few back and forth emails with Alex. Great customer service. Add in a great price for the whole package. I decided to go for it and I'm so glad I did.

In my area of Ohio I ride short ups and downs, tight twisty singletrack laden with roots and rocks. Smaller jumps and drops of 2-3 feet high. I like to ride fast, pop off roots, rocks, small jumps, catch air were I can. I got to say the Sarge is very responsive. No problem getting some air under the wheels. And with roots to contend with, the flickable front end makes putting front wheel where I want it much easier. The bike is very maneuverable, responds well to body English. No problems with climbing, sometimes gotta get your lean on! I added a dropper post for more aggressive downhill corner carving. Good BB height, no issue with pedal strikes. Like Banshee mentioned, the geo is slightly different, but I don't think it'll make a drastic difference.

I've never owned a full suspension, but from everything I understand, tire/air volume and/or steel frames is no substitute for a full suspension. The 27.5 plus will increase traction and absorb some of the small root/rock trail chatter. You can still get bounced out of your seat, need to use your legs as your suspension. But it's hard to beat the responsiveness and quick acceleration of a hardtail.

I've been having a lot of fun on the trails with Sarge. I don't think you can go wrong. With the right frame size you can dial in the cockpit to your liking.

Damn, long post. Bourbon makes me chatty.
    Cheers
    Hey makpak, sounds like you have similar terrain to what I have in SE Michigan. Are you running to stock tires or did you find something better for our dirt/mist/sand/dead leaves?

mtbr member
    Looks like a pair of Sergeants in the works! Good stuff.
    I thought so too, it's 2 different pictures.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    A little progress tonight. Sergeant may replace my 2014 Redline Monocog Flight if Roberts Axle Project can hook me up so I can still tow the twins Chariot trailer.

sent from my blah blah blah...who gives a shit?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hey makpak, sounds like you have similar terrain to what I have in SE Michigan. Are you running to stock tires or did you find something better for our dirt/mist/sand/dead leaves?
    MinesPunk - Great choice, Welcome to the ranks! Like you, I tried to learn from others that had a Sergeant before me. I followed the lead of Bansheerune. You've probably seen him, he has a couple post in this thread . I went ahead and mounted Rocket Ron Liteskins with light weight Q-tubes right from the start. That dropped a couple pounds off the rotational weigh and the bike is responsive and easy to dial up the RPMs. Never ran the Chronicles, so unfortunately I can't give you a comparison.

Here is some info: http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...s-1006613.html

I've been very happy with the RRs. Ran on them all last summer and fall without a problem. Not a single flat or side tear. And I will say the sidewalls are shockingly thin. Maybe I was just lucky. I ride in dry to maybe damp conditions and the RRs have great traction. I avoid wet, don't like all the clean up afterwards.

I'm going tubeless this year. Don't know if I'll stick with the Liteskin RR as I have read about sidewalls seeping sealant. Thinking maybe the Chupacabras. I don't know. If it wasn't so expensive to experiment it would make decisions so much easier.

Enjoy the ride, Cheers

Rippin da fAt
    Mak, I'm with you on stayin outta the mud.

As for the Chronicles, I have a pair theat have less than 100 miles on em. The Rocket Ron's are far lighter and have given no trouble thus far.
    Chronicles just don't have the traction qualities I expect. Great for riding more street and occasional dirt.
    I have set the RR's up tubeless and am giving it a try. So far it has been reliable and simple to deal with. Aired em up with my Lezyne Micro Floor Drive
    and they sealed up readily with 2 oz of Orange Seal. No seeps and no leakdown. Sarge was wearing his RR's on our trip to AZ the first two weeks of the
    year. Not an issue.

MinesPunk, Welcome to the Sergeant Owners Society! I think you'll find the Sergeant to be an awesome choice. Enjoy the ride...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    MinePunk,

we're looking forward to be an important part of your family's cycling adventures. Looks like we're going to have a blast with you on the beautiful new Sergeant.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertAxle142 View Post
    MinePunk,

we're looking forward to be an important part of your family's cycling adventures. Looks like we're going to have a blast with you on the beautiful new Sergeant.

Cheers
    Thanks! Will finish assembling the bike this weekend and setting up the touch points. Please send me info on which axle I will need for this bike and the cost. Really hoping the geometry works for towing the kids as well as hardcore trail riding so I can thin the herd and free up garage space. Wife and I realized we have about $15K in bikes decorating the garage ceiling, a bit more than we need as parents to 18 month old twin barbarians.

mtbr member

Kid Trailer Axle

We have solutions to attach the RSD Sergeant to BOB Trailers, Kid Trailers even Resistance Trainers.
    We also just released our new low profile Lightning Bolt-on Axle.

For the Kid Trailer Axle go here:

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have set the RR's up tubeless and am giving it a try. So far it has been reliable and simple to deal with. Aired em up with my Lezyne Micro Floor Drive
    and they sealed up readily with 2 oz of Orange Seal. No seeps and no leakdown. Sarge was wearing his RR's on our trip to AZ the first two weeks of the
    year. Not an issue.

Sounds good! Think I'll go ahead and set up my RR's tubeless. I still have a few miles of trail rippin tread on them. While I'm at it I'm going to bling up the rim strip on the Mulefut with some color. I'm also using the Orange seal, have read some good things about it.

I carry the same Lezyne pump in my backpack. Nice pump for plus tires.

We're going out to Arizona to visit family the last week of March. Staying in the McDowell Mountain, Fountain Hills area. Been out there a few times but I've never biked while there. Researching some local trails around McDowell. Ride time will be limited but definitely want to hit South Mountain also. Unfortunately the Sarge can't go with but the nearest bike shop rents Specialized. So I have a Carbon 6Fattie Stumpjumper reserved. It will be my first time with a full suspension. Looking forward to it. The wife says " Don't get any ideas!". Haha, It's too late for that. The wheels are already turning. Code word "Wildcat".

Mmmm Bourbon good, Cheers

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by makpak42 View Post
    Sounds good! Think I'll go ahead and set up my RR's tubeless. I still have a few miles of trail rippin tread on them. While I'm at it I'm going to bling up the rim strip on the Mulefut with some color. I'm also using the Orange seal, have read some good things about it.

I carry the same Lezyne pump in my backpack. Nice pump for plus tires.

We're going out to Arizona to visit family the last week of March. Staying in the McDowell Mountain, Fountain Hills area. Been out there a few times but I've never biked while there. Researching some local trails around McDowell. Ride time will be limited but definitely want to hit South Mountain also. Unfortunately the Sarge can't go with but the nearest bike shop rents Specialized. So I have a Carbon 6Fattie Stumpjumper reserved. It will be my first time with a full suspension. Looking forward to it. The wife says " Don't get any ideas!". Haha, It's too late for that. The wheels are already turning. Code word "Wildcat".

Mmmm Bourbon good, Cheers
    Werd! Wildcat is on the radar lately. I really don't like the price of Turner these days and no custom geo any more... RSD is a great value.
    I spent the first two weeks of the year near Tucson. Had both Sarge and the Mayor along. What a hoot! Hitting the trails was a blast.
    There was plenty of room in the Jeep for two two wheeled Jeeps to enjoy a road trip! If they weren't with me, withdrawal symptoms woulda
    been unbearable.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_0777.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_0737.jpg
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Do any of you Sarge owners have an actual BB measurement handy. Still debating about whether this is the frame for me. Please include fork and rim tire combo if you don't mind...thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Do any of you Sarge owners have an actual BB measurement handy. Still debating about whether this is the frame for me. Please include fork and rim tire combo if you don't mind...thanks!
    13" from the ground. Completely stock build from a 2016 Sergeant with 140mm Manitou Magnum comp fork, mulefut 50 rims and maxxis chronicle tires

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    As in BB elevation? 13" to center...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Perfect, thanks gents!

Rippin da fAt
    You''re welcome, JP! Now get your Sergeant ordered up so we can see some ride pix...

You would have to get in some strange circumstances to pedal strike with a Sergeant.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Is this bike great or what?
    I just posted this on another RSD forum - sorry if it's a repeat for some of you guys...

My Sergeant arrived a couple weeks ago, and the sun has been shining in Colorado, so I've actually had a couple of limited rides. First impressions: This Bike Is Sweet. Out of the box the chainstays had some paint imperfections; rubbed to bare metal in a couple small spots. I was OK with it, as I know the bike will get scratched and I got a hell of a deal on it. The paint color is stunning - better in real life than in pictures. As far as handling goes, the bike impressed me. My last bike was a Surly Instigator 2.0 with 26x2.75 (26+) tires and 67.5 degree HT. That bike was a blast too, but the front tire wandered all over the place climbing uphill. The RSD is PLANTED on climbs. Very much a superior climber to the Surly, but plenty slack for some buckwild downhill. I like the fork too... Even though I was ready to jump on the Pike bandwagon, I'm glad I gave the Manitou a chance. Seriously, the Manitou seems up for any challenge.

I really, really dig the tires. I can't believe how fast that much rubber wants to roll. But, I also can't wait to try out the 3.8s. Speaking of that... Can someone give me a quick rundown on the proper sliding dropout adjustment procedure? I'm guessing I'd need to slam the dropouts all the way back for the 3.8s, but how to I get both sides set exactly right when I want to return to the 3.0s? Any words of wisdom here may save me some time down the road... Thanks.

RSD brothers, I'm happy to join you. This bike is going to be a lot of fun!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quick question for the crowd. How much sealant are you using in the 27.5x3.0 tires? Somehow my bike came with the Maxxis Chronicle TR 120TPi tires so figured I would give them a shot at tubless in Michigan and judge them afterwards. I'll be using Orange Seal Endurance if that matters

Rippin da fAt
    2.5 oz in Sarge's Rocket Ron Liteskin 3.0's. No seepage to date (3 weeks) Keep in mind, this pair of tires has extensive mileage with very low pressure sand riding and a handful of snow rides. I thought the well wrinkled sidewalls would have been seeping fluid but they are dry and clean.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

k i c k a s s

That KICKASS promo was just too good to pass up. Unreal deal and value. I couldn't resist, well that's what I told the wife when the box arrived. Just finished building her up and out for a spin around the neighborhood. I'll get her on the trails in a bit. Bike feels very playful and responsive. The magnum feels great, and I can't wait to beat on it a bit.

Set up tubeless with 3.0 Rons and 2 scoops of stans, sun race mx3 11-42t wide range 10spd cassette, 45mm 35.0 clamp funn funnduro stem, 785mm wide funn fatboy 18mm riser bars, lizard skin mushroom-style grips, KS eTen dropper, and a pair of thin, concaved, super grippy, platform composite pedals from fire eye components. Just waiting on an all black saddle, ashima floating rotors in black, and dropper seatpost collar to finish the build. Pretty pumped on the bike, especially on the KICKASS deal.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-image.jpg

Last edited by ShredMaster; 03-09-2017 at 05:11 PM.

nvphatty
    Sarg entered the room, ten hut he demanded.

Moderator Moderator
    Your eyes are fine, there are two Sarge's shreddin' the gnar here.

Bikes so good you have to get your buddies on them too!

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    Your eyes are fine, there are two Sarge's shreddin' the gnar here.

Bikes so good you have to get your buddies on them too!
    isn't that special.

Rippin da fAt
    Congratz Bric!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just got back from a 9-day MTB trip to Stokesvilles, VA. It was my new bike's maiden voyage and it did not disappoint.

I just finished setting up my new titanium Sarge before the trip. It is close to a stock build, but I did upgrade to some nice carbon wheels and 3.0 Nobby Nics. Also upgraded to carbon post and bars, and a lighter cassette.

I have a few other small upgrades to do, but I am very pleased so far. It climbs better than I expected factoring the slack angle. The huge wheels just roll over everything! A blast to descend.

I come from a more XC-oriented background, so it is my first time riding a fork with so much travel. Still tweaking the pressure.

Bike weighs around 26lbs as it stands.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-rsd-sergeant.jpg

BTW - the trails and weather in Stokesvilles were awesome!

mtbr member
    Hello all,

I had a bit of a conundrum towards the end of this winter, I had been riding the Mayor all winter and loved it ( put about 900km on it this winter), as signs of spring started showing up naturally my thoughts turned to looking at getting summer wheels for the Mayor. after looking into pricing for a set of + wheels and tires and seeing the excellent sale on the Sergeant it started making more sense to just buy a Sergeant instead of messing around with summer wheels and a fat bike conversion....so I am now the proud owner of two RSD bikes, the Mayor now has some company and is taking a rest for the summer. I ride a Medium mayor and the geometry seemed fairly similar so I went for a medium Sergeant, the bike came I built it up, I was running a 50mm stem on the mayor so I followed suit with the Sergeant and took it for its first ride. Initial thoughts are that the bike pretty much ticks all the boxes of what I was looking for, very fast and really fun to ride although it seemed a little cramped in the cockpit and to get proper leg extension I had to have the seat post extended too far out of the frame for my liking, so I contacted Alex and we sorted out a large frame (a lightly used demo frame) ( In case you havenít heard RSD has the BEST customer service hands down). I got the large frame last night and swapped out all the parts. I took my first ride on the large this morning. I feel like the large fits better than the medium for me (6 feet tall) and has a roomier feel, also the seat post doesn't need to be jacked way up which I like. so with all that said here are a couple pix from the last week or so, we had a big unseasonable dump of snow yesterday and it seems like summer will never come, but I guess at least I got to try the sergeant out in the snow once before the summer.
    RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-p5pb14641073.jpg
    box showed up on the doorstep, I'm ready to build!
    RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-p4pb14642180.jpg
    First ride was a lot of fun!
    RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-p4pb14655798.jpg
    This much snow in April is ridiculous (this was yesterday)
    RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-p4pb14658020.jpg
    This mornings ride to work on the now large sized frame
    most of the snow melted overnight thankfully!

Rippin da fAt
    Good stuff, Trials!! While the Mayor doesn't get the summer off, he has to share his rider year round. I too wasn't in the market to convert my fatty to a +.
    Hafta say, having the two bikes has been a blessing. Sarge's performance is far better than most others in it's class. The upgrade from Sarge is a pure custom frame, period. You're in for some adventure like no other.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_0713.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_0412.jpg

As you see, Sarge has been showered with many gifts. (no different from any bike on this forum)
    The addiction runs deep, Trials! And I do get trialsy with Sarge cause it's fun and required. :P
    Last edited by BansheeRune; 04-28-2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Fix some of the changes that computers insist on making
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just wanted to contribute that I love this bike. Was a little worried about the geometry before I ordered and figured I could sell the frame if needed and keep a solid build kit. Very happy with the frame and very glad with the design. Upgrading the bars to Deity CZ38 tonight as well as a tubeless conversion. May run sarge single speed with 3.8 tires for the Iceman Challenge here in Michigan this November. Glad to see everyone enjoying their bikes, may be adding a Catalyst to the stable next

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Some more shots of the Sarge. Been a few months still loving this bike. Climbs well, trucks through the downhills. Thought the 2.8s would be rough as a single speed but im nearly as fast on fireroad climbs as I was on my El Mariachi and its better on the techy ascents.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So I had some issues with the pawls in the sun ringle src freehub, there was only one actually working and springing back into place. I sent an email to Alex and had brand new upgraded pawls within two days. itís unfortunate that I have had to put it to the test but RSD customer service is truly top notch.

On another note, I have about 200km on the Sergeant at this point and I have to say that I am really happy I went with the sergeant instead of doing a fat bike conversion on my mayor. I have realized suspension is a must for trail riding on a hardtail and I am happy to have it. I do not think I ( or my previously broken wrist) would have been happy on the converted mayor with the carbon fork (thank you Banshee for steering me in the right direction).

I have been having a lot of fun on the trails and I am actually surprised at how well the chronicles handle dirt and light mud.

things I have had to adjust are,
    1. I was running the rear wheel in the forward most position and mud clearance sucked, also when i would stand up to sprint the tire would rub on the chain stay, I am running it in about the middle now and am finding it much better.
    2. my riding style, a lot more standing, no more lounging on the couch trail rides for me, its stand up or take a beating. my back let me know i was doing it wrong shortly after the first ride.

really enjoying the Sargent!
    RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-p4pb14679964.jpg

mtbr member
    Is there a tread on the new RSD wildcat or any ride reports?

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    Is there a tread on the new RSD wildcat or any ride reports?
    Resolved...

http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...l#post13150260

Fixin to pull the trigger!
    Doctor recommended...

Professional Crastinator
    That looks awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by mvautour View Post

Name:	RSD Sergeant.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	1133564

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I keep seeing these things about the place, seems to be a very popular bike, but when I look at the geo chart I have to scratch my head as the XL only has a Reach of 443mm, which is shorter than most Large frames from other manufacturers these days. Anyone 6'2"> with matching long arms/legs riding an XL and can comment? Would want to be running a 50mm stem/785-800mm bar, currently running a 450mm Reach with 70mm stem/800mm bar and if I'm honest, could use a little more room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Just ordered a medium Sergent. I'm 6'0. Did i goof? I'm scared now. Maybe should have got a large?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    Just ordered a medium Sergent. I'm 6'0. Did i goof? I'm scared now. Maybe should have got a large?
    Which year did you order? And are you more torso or legs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Call and discuss w RSD! Super helpful

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Call and discuss w RSD! Super helpful

Agreed, Alex is super helpful and may have some ideas for you

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Agreed, Alex is super helpful and may have some ideas for you

I second this. I actually swung by Toronto on a road trip and rode Alex's medium Sergeant. I am 6'0" with shorter legs longer torso and arms. The short stem slack head angle was new to me. After riding his, I felt confident I needed a large. Hope this helps. My experience with Alex was good and he is a great guy to work with. Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Cannot even begin to imagine that you'd fit properly on the Medium with only a Reach of 400mm, not unless you plan on using a 90mm> stem or have super, super stubby arms. I'd most definitely change your order to at least a Large if not XL if you want to run a <50mm stem.

You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hi all, new to forum. Thought I would write in reply to tantrum's post. I am 6' with 34" inseam and love the medium Sergeant (with a 50mm stem and bar ends for climbing). Had the same fear regarding the reach distance when I ordered the large "Big Chief" last year, and it has almost exactly the same cockpit dimensions as the medium Sarg. The geometry is a change coming from a more xc mtb , but after the adjustment period it seems so much more comfortable and "correct" I can't imagine going back to a long reach and skinny tires.

Not disputing Old and Lynx's assessment, just a different viewpoint.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    I decided on the large after riding the medium on a few rides. I was running the bike with a 50mm stem and felt that I was too close to the bars, I found myself resting my wrists on the top of the bars during fire road climbs and feeling a bit cramped. I was thinking I'd rather have a longer top tube and run a shorter stem than having to run a longer stem. that and I felt that the seat post needed to be extended to the point of looking weird in order to get proper leg extension. I have close to 300km on the large now and I really feel that getting the large was the right choice for me. I could have ridden the medium and got used to it but over all I think the large was the way to go. I'm 6 feet tall and have around a 32 inch inseam. the stand-over difference between the two for me isn't noticeable. RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-p4pb14691327.jpgRSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-p4pb14691331.jpg
    a couple pix from my ride to work this morning

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by sknyboy View Post
    Hi all, new to forum. Thought I would write in reply to tantrum's post. I am 6' with 34" inseam and love the medium Sergeant (with a 50mm stem and bar ends for climbing). Had the same fear regarding the reach distance when I ordered the large "Big Chief" last year, and it has almost exactly the same cockpit dimensions as the medium Sarg. The geometry is a change coming from a more xc mtb , but after the adjustment period it seems so much more comfortable and "correct" I can't imagine going back to a long reach and skinny tires.

Cheers.
    Welcome to the fray, sknboy! The medium is gonna be more session oriented for your build, I'll give it that. I too was torn on which size to go with. I'm around the same measurements as you are with arms long enough to pass a hooter across the room without getting outta the recliner.
    I did go large with a 70mm stem for that reason. Very very playful bike, indeed!

I had the option of + wheels for the Mayor but decided that a Sergeant was in order. The budget came from the coin saved on the purchase of a Mayor vs a custom frame etc. Beats the hell outta swapping wheels any day of the week! I ride both bikes year round.

Sarge will be the recipient of a pair of 45Nrth Wrathchild 27.5x3.0's soon.

Trials, good to see a pic of a Sergeant with dirty feet! Looks very much like the area here in Colorado along the Roaring Fork River.
    Those miles/km's add up in a hurry! Sarge is getting lotsa distance and love lately.
    Enjoy the ride!

Best purchase I've done on a production bike, hands down.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hey, that's what it's all about, finding what works for YOU. I'm just surprised how stretched out I used to ride, but now with a few injuries to the back and tight leg muscles, I'm siting much more upright. Maybe I used to ride way more stretched out than most and so even now I'm not as flexible, still for me, I prefer a slightly more stretched than upright position.
    Quote Originally Posted by sknyboy View Post

Cheers.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks all, seems like a great forum. All told a fantastic fun bike and super value. Have some 3.8 Hodag tires coming, look forward to trying those tubeless. If it ever stops raining.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Bummer. Looks like I'm going to be sending the medium back. Anyone planning on the 2017 Sergent? That may be the one for me since the 2016 large is out of stock.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Bummer. Looks like I'm going to be sending the medium back. Anyone planning on the 2017 Sergent? That may be the one for me since the 2016 large is out of stock.
    Anyone know the wheelbase length for the medium or large sergeant?

WNC Native
    Anyone know the wheelbase length for the medium or large sergeant?
    2017 Large is 1170mm (46.06").
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Just wanted to contribute that I love this bike. Was a little worried about the geometry before I ordered and figured I could sell the frame if needed and keep a solid build kit. Very happy with the frame and very glad with the design. Upgrading the bars to Deity CZ38 tonight as well as a tubeless conversion. May run sarge single speed with 3.8 tires for the Iceman Challenge here in Michigan this November. Glad to see everyone enjoying their bikes, may be adding a Catalyst to the stable next
    What size frame did you get and how tall are you?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by trials4evr View Post
    Hello all,

I had a bit of a conundrum towards the end of this winter, I had been riding the Mayor all winter and loved it ( put about 900km on it this winter), as signs of spring started showing up naturally my thoughts turned to looking at getting summer wheels for the Mayor. after looking into pricing for a set of + wheels and tires and seeing the excellent sale on the Sergeant it started making more sense to just buy a Sergeant instead of messing around with summer wheels and a fat bike conversion....so I am now the proud owner of two RSD bikes, the Mayor now has some company and is taking a rest for the summer. I ride a Medium mayor and the geometry seemed fairly similar so I went for a medium Sergeant, the bike came I built it up, I was running a 50mm stem on the mayor so I followed suit with the Sergeant and took it for its first ride. Initial thoughts are that the bike pretty much ticks all the boxes of what I was looking for, very fast and really fun to ride although it seemed a little cramped in the cockpit and to get proper leg extension I had to have the seat post extended too far out of the frame for my liking, so I contacted Alex and we sorted out a large frame (a lightly used demo frame) ( In case you havenít heard RSD has the BEST customer service hands down). I got the large frame last night and swapped out all the parts. I took my first ride on the large this morning. I feel like the large fits better than the medium for me (6 feet tall) and has a roomier feel, also the seat post doesn't need to be jacked way up which I like. so with all that said here are a couple pix from the last week or so, we had a big unseasonable dump of snow yesterday and it seems like summer will never come, but I guess at least I got to try the sergeant out in the snow once before the summer.

Name:	p5pb14641073.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	1133927
    box showed up on the doorstep, I'm ready to build!

Name:	p4pb14642180.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	1133926
    First ride was a lot of fun!

Name:	p4pb14655798.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	348.7 KB 
ID:	1133928
    This much snow in April is ridiculous (this was yesterday)

Name:	p4pb14658020.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	313.2 KB 
ID:	1133929
    This mornings ride to work on the now large sized frame
    most of the snow melted overnight thankfully!
    What size frame did you get? How tall are you?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mvautour View Post
    Just got back from a 9-day MTB trip to Stokesvilles, VA. It was my new bike's maiden voyage and it did not disappoint.

I just finished setting up my new titanium Sarge before the trip. It is close to a stock build, but I did upgrade to some nice carbon wheels and 3.0 Nobby Nics. Also upgraded to carbon post and bars, and a lighter cassette.

I have a few other small upgrades to do, but I am very pleased so far. It climbs better than I expected factoring the slack angle. The huge wheels just roll over everything! A blast to descend.

I come from a more XC-oriented background, so it is my first time riding a fork with so much travel. Still tweaking the pressure.

Bike weighs around 26lbs as it stands.

Name:	RSD Sergeant.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	1133564

BTW - the trails and weather in Stokesvilles were awesome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    6'1" with a 34" inseam. Truthfully I wouldn't mind a longer top tube and shorter chainstays since I can't slam the rear wheel full forward with the stock tires. Still a good bike for where I live in the Midwest. When we relocate back west in 18 months will likely sell the frame and go custom unless the new sergeant geometry works out the way I want at that time. Very versatile and fun bike

mtbr member
    May 2017
    6'1" with a 34" inseam. Truthfully I wouldn't mind a longer top tube and shorter chainstays since I can't slam the rear wheel full forward with the stock tires. Still a good bike for where I live in the Midwest. When we relocate back west in 18 months will likely sell the frame and go custom unless the new sergeant geometry works out the way I want at that time. Very versatile and fun bike

What size frame did you get? Large?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What size frame did you get? Large?
    Yes, forgot to mention that

mtbr member
    Been hitting the local trails pretty hard now for a few weeks with the Sergeant. Bike is a complete blast. Loving the B+ platform and the 140mm fork. The 3.0 setup just eats up the small bumps, rocks, and roots, while the fork takes the drops and jumps like a champ. The bike just slays the single track and is a blast on the descents. Haven't been interested in riding a hard tail on trails in ~15 years, but that's changed now.

Name:  asset-2.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  asset.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  asset-3.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  asset-4.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  82.0 KB

Name:  asset-1.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  84.8 KB
    Last edited by ShredMaster; 05-15-2017 at 04:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks like the perfect bike for those trails. Are all your trails like that? PLUS definitely has helped me choose the HT/Rigid more than when they ran regular width tyres.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredMaster View Post
    Been hitting the local trails pretty hard now for a few weeks with the Sergeant. Bike is a complete blast. Loving the B+ platform and the 140mm fork. The 3.0 setup just eats up the small bumps, rocks, and roots, while the fork takes the drops and jumps like a champ. The bike just slays the single track and is a blast on the descents. Haven't been interested in riding a hard tail on trails in ~15 years, but that's changed now?

Attachment 1136248

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Looks like the perfect bike for those trails. Are all your trails like that?
    Yes, the trails I hit most frequently due to proximity. Tight twisty single tracks that vary from buff hardpack, loamy, sandy, soft, and various loose over hardpack. Bike has been perfect match for them, with loads of float and traction in those surfaces. I like to push my bike as I hard as I can into turns to the point where the tires loose traction and start to drift, and the 3.0" setup makes that even more fun. I forgot how fast and responsive a hardtail can be, and how much more involved your body is while riding. If I drive a bit further and north into the Hudson Valley area trails there are more rocky and technical trails, but I'm much more into fast and flowy where I can lay the bike down into turns, shred rubber, rip dirt, and boost off trail features. Bike has me stoked to ride, which is win.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes, the trails I hit most frequently due to proximity. Tight twisty single tracks that vary from buff hardpack, loamy, sandy, soft, and various loose over hardpack. Bike has been perfect match for them, with loads of float and traction in those surfaces. I like to push my bike as I hard as I can into turns to the point where the tires loose traction and start to drift, and the 3.0" setup makes that even more fun. I forgot how fast and responsive a hardtail can be, and how much more involved your body is while riding. If I drive a bit further and north into the Hudson Valley area trails there are more rocky and technical trails, but I'm much more into fast and flowy where I can lay the bike down into turns, shred rubber, rip dirt, and boost off trail features. Bike has me stoked to ride, which is win.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	275.7 KB 
ID:	1136340

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	285.8 KB 
ID:	1136341
    Sounds like you and I ride on similar trails in similar manners. How far forward can you run your rear wheel before you get chain stay rub? This past weekend I had about 4mm of clearance on either side of the entire and got rub anytime I pedaled hard or cornered hard. First weekend running the stock tires tubeless so I think they grew a bit.

mtbr member
    How far forward can you run your rear wheel before you get chain stay rub? This past weekend I had about 4mm of clearance on either side of the entire and got rub anytime I pedaled hard or cornered hard.
    I like the wheel slammed all the way forward. Another .25" - .5" shorter would have been really sweet. But the bike feels snappy as is and manuals pretty easily. Never have rubbing issues. Only time I got chainstay rub was when I inflated the tires to 45 psi to stretch them out while setting them up tubeless. But I run them 9-10.5psi front and 10-11.5psi rear on the trails. What psi are you running?

I have some new treads arriving this week for the Sergeant, and I'm sure I'll have to move them back at least halfway. Looking forward to mounting these voluminous, knobby 3.25" Duro Crux tires....

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_0058.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I like the wheel slammed all the way forward. Another .25" - .5" shorter would have been really sweet. But the bike feels snappy as is and manuals pretty easily. Never have rubbing issues. Only time I got chainstay rub was when I inflated the tires to 45 psi to stretch them out while setting them up tubeless. But I run them 9-10.5psi front and 10-11.5psi rear on the trails. What psi are you running?

I have some new treads arriving this week for the Sergeant, and I'm sure I'll have to move them back at least halfway. Looking forward to mounting these voluminous, knobby 3.25" Duro Crux tires....

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	1136370
    I'm running 19 psi out back and 18 psi up front. Kitted up I'm about 235 lbs and prefer not to destroy my rims when I ride hard

mtbr member
    I'm running 19 psi out back and 18 psi up front. Kitted up I'm about 235 lbs and prefer not to destroy my rims when I ride hard
    That sounds a bit high on the psi to me, but everyone has their preference. That's why you're rubbing tho. Have you tried dropping the pressures during rides to find that sweet point where you can get the benefits of the volume and float, but still remain fast rolling and free of flat spotting the rims? Other wise slide the wheel back in the drop outs until you're free of rubbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'm about to get into mountain biking after road cycling for years and trying to find the right bike to make the plunge. I don't have a big budget and I don't want to but something entry level that I'll wind up selling for half of what I paid in a year's time..and someone suggested the 2016 Sergeant...and as ex military, of course my ears perked.. looks like a nice bike and seems well equipped..(I'm not that knowledgeable on MTB components) but I've never heard of RSD or this bike before today. I live on the east coast of the US and I'm told the trails here are pretty technical... But I have 0 trail skill right now and at my age I don't foresee myself doing any super technical stuff on a bike, but you never know. Is this a good bike for someones like me? I'm 5'7" with a 31" inseam...so. I'm thinking medium or small? I should add I'd be really hesitant to buy one without a test ride because I'd worry it wouldn't fit me well. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by motosonic View Post
    I'm about to get into mountain biking after road cycling for years and trying to find the right bike to make the plunge. I don't have a big budget and I don't want to but something entry level that I'll wind up selling for half of what I paid in a year's time..and someone suggested the 2016 Sergeant...and as ex military, of course my ears perked.. looks like a nice bike and seems well equipped..(I'm not that knowledgeable on MTB components) but I've never heard of RSD or this bike before today. I live on the east coast of the US and I'm told the trails here are pretty technical... But I have 0 trail skill right now and at my age I don't foresee myself doing any super technical stuff on a bike, but you never know. Is this a good bike for someones like me? I'm 5'7" with a 31" inseam...so. I'm thinking medium or small? I should add I'd be really hesitant to buy one without a test ride because I'd worry it wouldn't fit me well. Thanks!
    Contact Alex at RSD for sizing info. The sergeant has a shorter top tube and longer head tube than most current bikes. 2016 also has a steeper head angle. This translates into putting you in a more upright position and making it easier to ride in tight and twisty trails. The parts on the frame are pretty good for the money. The nicest thing about the frame is you can move sliders all the way back and run 3.8" tires which is damn near fatbike territory. This can be done on the stock rims. If you don't like the frame you could likely sell it for $300-$400 and use the parts on a different frame. If you ever have reason to go to Toronto Alex will set up a test ride for you. You may also find someone on hear local to you that will let you check theirs out. Good luck.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by motosonic View Post
    I would lean toward medium... I have 34/35" of inseam and my large fits like a proper bike fitting was had. Do reach out to Alex, he's an honest guy that cares more about client satisfaction than making a sale. Warranty is second to none, period. The Sergeant is a solid performer with a very nice component package. Don't pass the opportunity to snag one!!

Hafta say, Sarge is one of my best friends. The '16 I bought a year ago and love every ride. Sarge is getting a set of Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes cause they are available in "new black" (read orange). Happy birthday, Sarge!!
    Have a Wildcat reserved as well. Hmm, full squish +bike... Oh boy!
    Doctor recommended...

nvphatty
    I would lean toward medium... I have 34/35" of inseam and my large fits like a proper bike fitting was had. Do reach out to Alex, he's an honest guy that cares more about client satisfaction than making a sale. Warranty is second to none, period. The Sergeant is a solid performer with a very nice component package. Don't pass the opportunity to snag one!!

Hafta say, Sarge is one of my best friends. The '16 I bought a year ago and love every ride. Sarge is getting a set of Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes cause they are available in "new black" (read orange). Happy birthday, Sarge!!
    Have a Wildcat reserved as well. Hmm, full squish +bike... Oh boy!
    the 'new black' is a winner f'sho.......full squishy + is a hoot so don't pollute.

mtbr member
    Love hitting these tight, twisty, bermed S-turn trails on the sergeant. Bike just rails into the turns with confidence.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_4294.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Shred, Sarge gets to hit an area the city turned into a trail system that is similar. Ever so fun. There are some trails that are more techy but the majority is do what your "throttle will let ya. Keeps Sarge in his glory, indeed!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    .... but the majority is do what your "throttle will let ya. Keeps Sarge in his glory, indeed!
    Sarge (and myself ) loves the throttle fully open with the seat dropped down on the descents and fast sections. I feel like I'm sitting low in the bike with a low center of gravity that's inspires confidence when railing these berms and S-turns. That and the 3" rubber with the 140mm fork make me feel like I'm unstoppable on the bike. Any line feels approachable, and the bike just eats up what ever line I pick. Stoked on the Sergeant for sure.

Came home from work to find these treats on my stoop....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-img_4842.jpg  

nvphatty
    ^^ dem some nice treats.

mtbr member
    Hi I've been looking at the sergeant and comparing it to a steel jamis dragonslayer. Obviously I like how much lighter the sergeant is on paper, but I wonder about the old aluminum vs. steel conundrum. I'm in my 40's and been riding full suspension, do you sergeant riders find that the fat tire smooths out the rear of the bike so that the ride is not too harsh? Or do you still get bounced around like with other hardtails? Any feedback will be helpful, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JScoot View Post
    Hi I've been looking at the sergeant and comparing it to a steel jamis dragonslayer. Obviously I like how much lighter the sergeant is on paper, but I wonder about the old aluminum vs. steel conundrum. I'm in my 40's and been riding full suspension, do you sergeant riders find that the fat tire smooths out the rear of the bike so that the ride is not too harsh? Or do you still get bounced around like with other hardtails? Any feedback will be helpful, thanks.
    Depends on tire pressure. The sarge is as comfortable to me as my Titus El Guapo with 160mm travel on each end. Honestly I wanted the titanium frame at first but the aluminum one is great as is

mtbr member
    I can run 13 psi on my 29 plus front wheel... been wanting that on the back but my frame won't fit beyond a 2.3. I'm all for low pressure, that's actually one of my primary goals in life! Sounds like you find low pressure really negates some of the disadvantages of the aluminum frame?

mtbr member
    Another question for you riders.... do you guys see the ride quality as being primarily a shredder or can you log big miles on long days? I'm too old for much air time but often like to go for long cruises on some expansive trail networks. I'm looking for a fun but also comfortable ride. How do you feel about (or after) all-day rides on the sergeant?
    Last edited by S​​usspect; 05-12-2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Mispell

Rippin da fAt
    If'n you're gittin bounced around like you're riding a basketball, you're doin it wrong!! Lower the PSI!!

JScoot, I ride all day most times with Sarge and it's nary a prollem. Fuel economy has more to do with tire choice that pressure.
    NN's will crush fuel economy as opposed to RR's.

Shred, them's some nice treats, indeed.

Can't wait to get the Hope Tech 3's and see how good Sarge looks with "New Black" levers n calipers!! Monday's gonna be a good day, indeed.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. When I'm looking at the 2016 build kit, it has the 11-36 cassette with a 30 tooth chainring. How does that feel on tech uphills? Has anyone swapped out the cassette for 11-40+? Will the stock derailleur allow for a bigger granny gear? Thx.

Rippin da fAt
    Thanks for the replies. When I'm looking at the 2016 build kit, it has the 11-36 cassette with a 30 tooth chainring. How does that feel on tech uphills? Has anyone swapped out the cassette for 11-40+? Will the stock derailleur allow for a bigger granny gear? Thx.
    30x36-11 works very well for me. Sarge climbs far better than any other I had tried prior to adopting him. Climbing doesn't have that grunt n grind feeling that most have.
    Overall performance is awesome so a shorter gear has not crossed my mind. I do cadence higher than most peeps tho' so range of gears is working out well

Stock derailleur is a medium cage. I changed Sarge to a short cage to keep his junk outta the dirt and debris better.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    40t will fall into the long cage category...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    ?... Has anyone swapped out the cassette for 11-40+? Will the stock derailleur allow for a bigger granny gear? Thx.
    I'm running a wide range 10Ė42t cassette with the stock medium cage derailleur with no issues. Bike crawls and climbs through the bumpy tech stuff like a rock crawler. I was out of the saddle for about 10 months due to injuries before I got the Sergeant, and I knew I'd be out of shape getting back into it so I swapped out the cassette when I was building the bike to have some extended granny gear range. Gave me a lot of range with the stock 1x10 derailleur and shifter.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=ShredMaster;13166778]I'm running a wide range 10Ė42t cassette with the stock medium cage derailleur with no issues.

WOW that's incredible, I would not have expected that to work! Like Banshee said I would have thought I'd need a longer derailleur to get that range. This looks like a deal-maker. What is the brand on that cassette? No issues at all with set-up? Did the stock chain work for this?
    Last edited by S​​usspect; 05-13-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: more info

mtbr member

WOW that's incredible, I would not have expected that to work! Like Banshee said I would have thought I'd need a longer derailleur to get that range. This looks like a deal-maker. What is the brand on that cassette? No issues at all with set-up? Did the stock chain work for this?
    Correction it's an 11-42t. Yes, stock chain no issues.
    It's a Sunrace Mx3 wide range 10spd. ~$55-$60 depending on retailer.

SunRace | CSMX3

nvphatty
    are you fellas climbing vertical walls n such??

mtbr member
    Just pathetically out of shape

The 40t option would have been plenty I have realized, but being off the bike for so long recovering from multiple injuries I went big since the option was there. Really helps in the slow moving bumpy, rooty, and rocky climbs. I rarely use the 42t ring but it's nice to have that extra granny gear when needed.

nvphatty
    Just pathetically out of shape

The 40t option would have been plenty I have realized, but being off the bike for so long recovering from multiple injuries I went big since the option was there. Really helps in the slow moving bumpy, rooty, and rocky climbs. I rarely use the 42t ring but it's nice to have that extra granny gear when needed.
    somewhat the same for me and a very long winter without seat time.

mtbr member
    No, but I'm afraid it might feel like I am when I hit chunky steep spots in the Ozarks.... just never had a 1x setup and still use my granny gear for crawling along...
    Finding out I can pop on a 40 or 42 if I want to eases my mind a bit.

On another note, are these Guide brakes holding up well for you? I've read mixed reviews, do they seem solid long-term? Thx...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No, but I'm afraid it might feel like I am when I hit chunky steep spots in the Ozarks.... just never had a 1x setup and still use my granny gear for crawling along...
    Finding out I can pop on a 40 or 42 if I want to eases my mind a bit.

On another note, are these Guide brakes holding up well for you? I've read mixed reviews, do they seem solid long-term? Thx...
    I've had the sergeant for about 3 months now. Guides are doing OK so far but I still prefer my old XTs. Thinking I'll put on a set of Shimano Zee brakes if I can get a deal on them and sell the guides but that's just my personal opinion

Rippin da fAt
    A 30-36 is below 1:1... The geometry and configuration of the Sergeant makes a climb feel way less daunting than any other bike in its class (that I have ridden)

On the Guide brakes, mine had been flawless until last week. One brake lever took a shit and the other issue is a common problem with last year's model that results in the pads not retracting properly. Fortunately, I had a set of juicy's on mothballs. Was able to swap M/C's and be back up and running.
    A set of Hope Tech 3's will be arriving this week to resolve braking once and for all. Looking forward to towing package power brakes!
    Have a feeling they will be more powerful than needed but less effort in control is welcome too.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Telephone poles!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Thanks again for all the replies! Nothing like real user feedback to help make bike decisions!
    SO I was just looking at the 2017 Sergeant, and see they have slackened the HA to 66.5 degrees, that's a big change! How is this going to affect the climbing ability that some of you riders rave about? I am wondering why RSD is making this change, and how you guys feel about it. Is it a pro or con to slacken this bike's geo? Will you move on from 2016 geo quickly or will you hold it even longer knowing it's basically out of production? Thx.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks again for all the replies! Nothing like real user feedback to help make bike decisions!
    SO I was just looking at the 2017 Sergeant, and see they have slackened the HA to 66.5 degrees, that's a big change! How is this going to affect the climbing ability that some of you riders rave about? I am wondering why RSD is making this change, and how you guys feel about it. Is it a pro or con to slacken this bike's geo? Will you move on from 2016 geo quickly or will you hold it even longer knowing it's basically out of production? Thx.
    I currently live in Michigan with tight and twisty trails and a ton of murderous trees on the trail side. For me the 2016 HA works well. We plan to relocate back west in two years where the slacker HA will be better for the steep and wide open trails. I will sell my 2016 frame when we move to another Midwestern person and go with the new sergeant at that point. With the climbing ability of the big tires and frame geometry I am not too worried about the slackening especially since a hard tail HA steepens up when you are on the bike

Rippin da fAt
    While it will be an improvement to descending, I don't think it will be detrimental to climbing. One thing I do appreciate of the 16 is BB height.
    Most other offerings are much lower which makes off trail riding a nightmare.

Minespunk
    I live in the Rocky Mountains and experience no issues with my 2016. I have taken Sarge to Valhalla for lift assisted riding and had a great time. I also have a Banshee Rune built as a 4x rig that enjoys Valhalla. Would not need to sell what I have to do some descents, simply cause it works exceptionally well. Adding a wildcat to the collective, now we're getting somewhere!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Fun ride on Sarge today, weather was perfect. Haven't installed the new goods yet, but hopefully this week.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-stillwell.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Wut?? You're holding out on Sarge???
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Wut?? You're holding out on Sarge???
    Shameful I know. Between the kids, Mother's Day, and studying for finals, last weekend allowed no time for Sarge to get fitted. Last final of the semester is today, so hopefully tonight we get it done.

Trying to be helpful
    Sarge (and myself ) loves the throttle fully open with the seat dropped down on the descents and fast sections. I feel like I'm sitting low in the bike with a low center of gravity that's inspires confidence when railing these berms and S-turns. That and the 3" rubber with the 140mm fork make me feel like I'm unstoppable on the bike. Any line feels approachable, and the bike just eats up what ever line I pick. Stoked on the Sergeant for sure.

How well does the Crux fit the rear of a Sarge? Pics?

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Trying to be helpful

Dbl post

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member

Patience young Jedi. Soon shall you see.

mtbr member
    Sarge likes what the sign says.

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-sarge.jpg

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-sign.jpg
    Last edited by ShredMaster; 05-17-2017 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member

Finally Fitting These New Treads

The Duro is noticeably wider and taller than the 3.0 Rocket Ron

RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)-fullsizerender.jpg

Rippin da fAt

If I can cram a 3.8 on the bow and stern, a 3.25 oughtta be an easy fit.
    Doctor recommended...

Trying to be helpful
    If I can cram a 3.8 on the bow and stern, a 3.25 oughtta be an easy fit.

Agreed, I should've been more specific with my question. DOH!

What I'm curious about is how far back does the tire have to be moved in the dropouts to accommodate the Duro.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rippin da fAt

What I'm curious about is how far back does the tire have to be moved in the dropouts to accommodate the Duro.
    can likely be mostly forward in slider setup. 3.8 needs to be all the way back to have adequate clearance.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

I'll have some pics up later today/tonight. I'm letting the tires sit at max psi and doing the sealant shake and rotate for a few more hours. Tires aired up with the compressor in one shot, no sealant weeping from tires at all. They're listed as tubeless ready on the Duro site but no tpi count info anywhere, but they feel very supple. I would think they're 120 +\- . These Mulefuts though are a different story. Same with my 80mm set. The pinned seam and cut-out sections require some extra attention sometimes to get them sealed correctly, where it's "set and forget" at any psi. My guess is the slideouts will be set half way back for absolute no rub concern, and possibly a quarter way back with the occasional/acceptable rub.

Rippin da fAt
    When I set Sarge up tubeless, sealant in and 12 psi ride and forget. Scraper i45''s. Aired up with lezyne mfd hv with little effort.
    As for those Duro's, you should be able to use em with the sliders 1/3 back without issue. Minion FBF's work 95% extended.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast