RSD Sergeant/Big Chief: Any info out there?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

RSD Sergeant/Big Chief: Any info out there?

Been out of the mountain biking world for 10 years after adult life happened and took me away. I tried to get into the road world, but it never grabbed me. I'm going to pick up the sport again this year and quite excited to get back out there. I had FS in the past and never felt it was worth it for my style and my trails so I'm focused on a hardtail and wow, things have changed with tires. After poking around local stores and internetting, I've narrowed it to a plus size hardtail like Trek Stache 7, Norco Torrent 7.1, Marin Pine Mountain 2. That's the flavour, anyway.

I was in an LBS today and noticed a plus bike from RSD. Never having heard of them I googled and found out they're a local company (Toronto). Now their ads are all over (thanks Google). Anyway, all things being more or less equal I'd prefer to keep the money local but can't really find anything about their bikes or rep.

Anyone familiar? I'm going to call but thought I'd put a hook out.

BIG CHIEF Chromoly Steel - RSD
    SERGEANT Aluminum - RSD

Thanks,
    Scott

Professional Crastinator
    BansheeRune has a Sergeant.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bought the Sergeant aluminum about a month ago and set it up SS out of the box. I love this bike to the point that I don't want to ride my carbon Bronson anymore. It's just pure fun. The terrain I ride is rocky af and the sarge handles everything like a champ. My last bike before the Bronson was a nomad and I haven't had a hard tail in more than 10 years and all of the reasons that I though a HT was a no go have fallen away. Those big tires soak it all up, the burly fork and slack geometry make it feel like a sweet full squish trail ride. For me though the SS has been the best thing. I've wanted to do it for years and it's better than I hoped it would be. Ive always loved climbing as much as descending and standing up and hammering and feeling that direct power to the rear wheel is unbelievable. The sergeant is just a tremendously fun all around trail bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a xl big chief and really like it. I have not ridden it as much as I would have liked, as winter is just closing. The bike handles great and I love the big tire traction. I honestly don't have a lot to compare it to, as I rode a rigid ss soma juice prior to this. I will say that the chief seems to go down hill better but that could be because of multiple factors. I anticipate riding it a lot more this summer and doing some bike packing on it. I also like the big wagon wheel as it feels like it just rolls and rolls.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Can anyone comment on its climbing abilities with the slack 66.5 ha? Also what length of fork are u using? And finally, do u find the chain stays are a tad long compared to the latest drive to have short chain stays? I really like the plus ti sergeant man it looks awesome but in Calgary u gots to be able to climb to get tot the downs around here. Plus I have an evil the following so I'm used to short chain stays. I'm also looking at the Stanton plus slack line but it's crazy expensive!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2H View Post
    Been out of the mountain biking world for 10 years after adult life happened and took me away. I tried to get into the road world, but it never grabbed me. I'm going to pick up the sport again this year and quite excited to get back out there. I had FS in the past and never felt it was worth it for my style and my trails so I'm focused on a hardtail and wow, things have changed with tires. After poking around local stores and internetting, I've narrowed it to a plus size hardtail like Trek Stache 7, Norco Torrent 7.1, Marin Pine Mountain 2. That's the flavour, anyway.

I was in an LBS today and noticed a plus bike from RSD. Never having heard of them I googled and found out they're a local company (Toronto). Now their ads are all over (thanks Google). Anyway, all things being more or less equal I'd prefer to keep the money local but can't really find anything about their bikes or rep.

Anyone familiar? I'm going to call but thought I'd put a hook out.

BIG CHIEF Chromoly Steel - RSD
    SERGEANT Aluminum - RSD

Thanks,
    Scott
    I love Sarge! He's a load of fun on the singletrack. A worthy bike with a playful geometry. The ability to ride euphoric manuals from t=here to kingdom come and climb equally proficiently is rarely found in the same bike. Sarge does both like he knows what he's doing.
    All joking aside, the Sergeant is a fine rig and I can't get enough miles on it. The acceleration out of the hole or on the fly is awesome. The handling on the twisty, turny singletrack is amazing. Very pleased with my Sergeant. The moment I threw a leg over the Sergeant I stopped test riding bikes and adopted my bike. The immediate change was rubber! The Chronicles are a street tire, period. I had a pair of Schwalbe Rocket Ron's waiting for my bike.
    The group on the Sergeant is X9, MuleFut, Sram Guide, Easton bar/stem/seatpost. Good choices, indeed!

I did change out the bars and stem with a couple groovier parts that are in living color. Besides, power steering is nice with an 800mm bar!

Feel free to reach out to RSD, they are good folks bringing a good product to the peeps at a good price. Alex has been awesome to deal with and he made the process quick and easy.
    RSD Sergeant/Big Chief: Any info out there?-img_0278.jpg

RSD Sergeant/Big Chief: Any info out there?-sarge-10.jpg
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Looks like the Sergeant comes with Sun Ringle Mulefüt wheels. What do folks think of these wheels? Are they easy to setup tubeless? How is the rear hub holding up? Anyone know how many POE the rear hub has?

Rippin da fAt
    They are awesome for tubeless, although I am using Q-Tube SL 26x2.7 tubes in mine at the moment. POE 40-48, I believe. Should be a minimum of 108 IMHO. I had 3 cactus thorns get into my front tire a few weeks ago and the tire was at 6 psi when I got home. The interesting thing was when I removed the stem nut it started leaking air at the stem. The MuleFut with the tubeless tape kept it from leaking as quickly so I rode 10 miles before it hit a low of 6 psi.
    The MuleFut 50SL is similar to the 80mm version, in that tires can be a pain to dismount. The only thing I don't like is that they are all black. Spokes, rims, hubs. Pfft! I need contrast and wanna see a good looking rim in the middle of some sweet looking tires! This week I will be lacing up a pair of Scrapers and orange Hope boost hubs after I remove the black anodize and polish the rims with Mothers mag polish. Stainless spokes shimmering in the sun will be butchen! Oh yeah, blue nipples. Sarge will have 2 wheel sets for his Nobby Nic's and Rocket Ron's.

The component package is quite nice on the Sergeant outta the box. I did change out the bar and stem for groovier performance of a 31" bar with that trialsy upsweep that is an absolute must. 70mm Straitline stem with Loaded AMX bar=power steering!
    Doctor recommended...

nvphatty
    ^^ no chicklets today mate

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BansheeRune again.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    ^^ no chicklets today mate

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BansheeRune again.
    Get your a$$ over to Walmart and buy another bag of em!
    Doctor recommended...

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Get your a$$ over to Walmart and buy another bag of em!
    dem folks @ wallyworld scare me

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    dem folks @ wallyworld scare me
    Unfortunately MTBR doesn't let us have the bogart bag of chiclets...
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Looks like the Sergeant comes with Sun Ringle Mulefüt wheels. What do folks think of these wheels? Are they easy to setup tubeless? How is the rear hub holding up? Anyone know how many POE the rear hub has?
    I have had no issues thus far with the rear hub. But then I weigh 160 and that may make a difference on any hub.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    POE 40-48, I believe. Should be a minimum of 108 IMHO!
    I have pretty much ridden hubs with 72 POE over the last 9 years so but I recently picked up a Hope PRO4 and it took awhile to get use to the 40 something POE's it has. In technical chunk I would think 108 would be great.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I have pretty much ridden hubs with 72 POE over the last 9 years so but I recently picked up a Hope PRO4 and it took awhile to get use to the 40 something POE's it has. In technical chunk I would think 108 would be great.
    This little fellow has me spoiled rotten with the 108 POE freewheel. Everything with fewer POE's feels like something's wrong.

RSD Sergeant/Big Chief: Any info out there?-image.jpg
    My little pogo stick!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This little fellow has me spoiled rotten with the 108 POE freewheel. Everything with fewer POE's feels like something's wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	1075939
    My little pogo stick!
    Try an Onyx hub, POE to infinity, nearly instant engagement, only thing better is a fixie or a uni.

Back on topic, RSD does a nice package, their on my radar.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Try an Onyx hub, POE to infinity, nearly instant engagement, only thing better is a fixie or a uni.

Back on topic, RSD does a nice package, their on my radar.
    The Onyx will grenade on a trials bike however they do have my attention for Sarge.

The build and price offered by RSD is hard to beat. The performance and geometry is spot on.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Inaugural ride on my Big Chief yesterday...

RSD Sergeant/Big Chief: Any info out there?-img_2588.jpg

I've never used this word in this context, but this bike is "Boss". I was a bit worried about the BB height since most bikes I ride have a BB drop around 60-70mm. The 40mm drop on the Big Chief does put you in a high position, but it works well with the rest of the geometry. The bike really rails around the corners and climbs like a champ. The rear wheel stayed planted on steeps and I never did spin the rear tire out.

This is not a light bike, but for the price, the parts spec can't be beat. All in all, I was really impressed with the ride and can't wait to get back out on the trail again this weekend!
    Enjoy the ride!

Rippin da fAt
    Nice ride, LBI!!
    The BB at -40 is a great place to be with these bikes. Makes for better Jeepin with two wheels, indeed. Also hard to beat the performance.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That is a really nice looking Big Cheif, LB! A very tempting choice in the 29+ market.

What do you think your bike actually weighs?

The small triangle would sure limit frame-bag space for bikepackking purposes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

First Ride today on the Ti Sergeant

I come from a 2002 Santa Cruz Heckler so I really didn't know what to expect when I took my new ride out for a spin.

I definitely could feel the plushness of the Ti frame as well as the plus tires. Climbing on it was great. The only thing that I was limited by was my fitness level. Where I thought it really shines is on the descent. I ride technical single track (El Prieto - El Prieto L.A. Area Trail Reviews). It was an experience, and I am glad to say that I am satisfied with my purchase.

There are a few things of note about the bike and the kit that it came with. The front chain ring is really close to the chainstay, maybe an eighth of a centimeter if that. It's a little too close for my comfort. I plan on adding a spacer, and then putting on a 28 tooth chain ring. Secondly, the kit came with Maxxis Chronicles that are not TR rated. I am thinking about converting them over to tubeless because what's the point of having the plus tires otherwise.

Overall, I am happy with the bike, and how it feels. I hope this helps for all thinking about a Sergeant.

Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    That is a really nice looking Big Cheif, LB! A very tempting choice in the 29+ market.

What do you think your bike actually weighs?

The small triangle would sure limit frame-bag space for bikepackking purposes...

Rippin da fAt
    The Sergeant is in a class of it's own. The form and function of the bike is not common to a production bike and really requires one to throw a leg over one to gain an understanding of it. After allowing some peeps to ride my bike they have placed orders for one of their own. I must admit, frame bag space is limited. But I can forgo a frame bag when it likely would compromise performance. The Sergeant saved a significant chunk of change over the custom alternative.

Congtatz, Rip555! Enjoy the new ride.
    Doctor recommended...

Rocks belong
    Wish it was Chromoly and 420-430mm chainstays
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Rippin da fAt
    My trials bike is the shortest cs's. Sarge has sliders and works as well as the frames that a fat tire scrubs the back of the seat tube.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anybody have dedicated snow tires on the sergeant? Recommendations for snows for that bike?

Rippin da fAt
    I'm using Maxxis FBF 3.8's. Definitely not a replacement for true fat, but has been fun.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hey guys, My Sergeant arrived a couple weeks ago, and the sun has been shining in Colorado, so I've actually had a couple of limited rides. First impressions: This Bike Is Sweet. Out of the box the chainstays had some paint imperfections; rubbed to bare metal in a couple small spots. I was OK with it, as I know the bike will get scratched and I got a hell of a deal on it. The paint color is stunning - better in real life than in pictures. As far as handling goes, the bike impressed me. My last bike was a Surly Instigator 2.0 with 26x2.75 (26+) tires and 67.5 degree HT. That bike was a blast too, but the front tire wandered all over the place climbing uphill. The RSD is PLANTED on climbs. Very much a superior climber to the Surly, but plenty slack for some buckwild downhill. I like the fork too... Even though I was ready to jump on the Pike bandwagon, I'm glad I gave the Manitou a chance. Seriously, the Manitou seems up for any challenge.

I really, really dig the tires. I can't believe how fast that much rubber wants to roll. But, I also can't wait to try out the 3.8s. Speaking of that... Can someone give me a quick rundown on the proper sliding dropout adjustment procedure? I'm guessing I'd need to slam the dropouts all the way back for the 3.8s, but how to I get both sides set exactly right when I want to return to the 3.0s? Any words of wisdom here may save me some time down the road... Thanks.

RSD brothers, I'm happy to join you. This bike is going to be a lot of fun!!!

Rippin da fAt
    tj,

I slide the dropouts all the way back for 3.8 and mid way for 3.0. There are adjuster screws that you need to set and make sure the jam nuts are snugged up.
    I've had Sarge for a year now and the ride is just unmatched by anything else out there, period. Climbing is no longer a chore, it's that good. Wait til you're on
    the trail and it seems like 2.whatever bikes are in the way!

Gratz and welcome to the RSD family!
    Doctor recommended...

orthonormal
    [QUOTE=06HokieMTB;13011024]Wish it was Chromoly and 420

I replaced the RS Reba on my Spot Rocker (Reynolds 853 steel) with a 140mm Pike and ended up with very similar geometry numbers to the RSD Sargent other than the 16.8"/427mm minimum chainstay length. I'm running a Gates carbon drive rather than a chain so I have to keep my CS at 17.2"/436mm.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am looking forward to possibly owning a 2017 RSD Big Chief in a month or so. I'm trying to decide between this and a 2018 Trek Stashe 5. Frame numbers other than the chainstay are really close (small Chief to 17.5 Stashe). That beautiful steel is calling my name though...