RSD MIddleChild - CrMo - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Discount pricing? The frame was $50 less than a Santa Cruz Chameleon frame, not exactly a budget price in my opinion.
    Comparing the AL MC to the AL Chameleon it's $599 to $750USD. $151 difference at that price point is huge. In particular at the relative volumes we are talking about.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSD Bikes View Post
    In fact, as you probably noticed, all of the frames never went on sale.
    Hi Alex. Let me replace discount with value priced to be more accurate regarding the situation. I mean neither term in a negative way. I work in manufacturing so I appreciate the trade offs that occur to meet a particular price point.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Hi Alex. Let me replace discount with value priced to be more accurate regarding the situation. I mean neither term in a negative way. I work in manufacturing so I appreciate the trade offs that occur to meet a particular price point.
    No worries, it wasn't taken in a negative way. just wanted to clarify. In this case, i can say with confidence that the difference in price isn't manufacturing quality. In fact, all of our frames are handmade with sliding drop-outs and a custom yoke, which cost more. We also definitely produce way less frames. The major difference might be our overhead. We're a very small young company.
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    Instagram - facebook

NJ Gator
    Jul 2019
    I just placed a pre-order for an orange medium!!!!

Thanks all for your feedback this week on the MCs!!!!

Gonna be a great 2020 season!!!!

Happy New Year!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Gator View Post
    I just placed a pre-order for an orange medium!!!!

Thanks all for your feedback this week on the MCs!!!!

Gonna be a great 2020 season!!!!

Happy New Year!!!!
    Its an awesome bike, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like bikes

Rippin da fAt
    Comparing the AL MC to the AL Chameleon it's $599 to $750USD. $151 difference at that price point is huge. In particular at the relative volumes we are talking about.
    But the geometry is not the same and BB drop is absurd on the SC.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    But the geometry is not the same and BB drop is absurd on the SC.
    We are not talking about the geo.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Rippin da fAt
    We are not talking about the geo.
    Might not be but that is a key consideration to comparing apples and oranges.
    When I look at the picture, I see a difference on many fronts in terms of comparing RSD to a larger company.
    Overhead of the larger operation dictates pricing as does other factors of large vs. small business.

So, yeah, there might be a dry comment from time to time. Hell, Monte Python was king of dry...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    " width="549">

" width="549">
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2010 Giant STP SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    beautiful pictures of it out in the snow! Greetings from Suwanee with my high-viz MC. Still riding great, just the rider that needs improving!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by drivera View Post
    beautiful pictures of it out in the snow! Greetings from Suwanee with my high-viz MC. Still riding great, just the rider that needs improving!
    Excellent pic, drivera!
    With time spent with your bike, you'll do just fine. It takes time, practice and a sweet ride like the MC.
    I relish every ride as you are prolly doing too...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Very tempted to pick up a closeout MC in size XL. Bummed there is no 29er option but can add some 29er wheels next year. That said, what size would be best for a 6 1.5 rider?

Rippin da fAt
    I'm 6' and ride a large.
    The next release will be offered in a 27.5 or 29 option.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    With no small degree of apprehension, we installed a 150 mm OneUp V1 dropper on the boys (cough-mine someday) medium MC. I got a smoking good deal on it with their remote (thanks to a Paul the Punter discount code), so it became a Christmas present. Despite mixed reviews, it works well (with shims) and seems simple to work on. I was able to take some material off the rubber dropper routing plug, grease it with Slickoleum and have the housing move perfectly fine for operation, while still keeping junk out of the seat tube. Anyhow, just an FYI post. No long term report obviously, but for barely more than the cheapest of droppers, it seemed a no brainer. We have a lifetime supply of Slickoleum, so hopefully were set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    Very tempted to pick up a closeout MC in size XL. Bummed there is no 29er option but can add some 29er wheels next year. That said, what size would be best for a 6 1.5 rider?

I am about 6' to 6' 1". I usually ride Large in most brands and I fall right in the high side of a large for the MC. I ended up getting the XL and I love it!!! I was kind of stuck with this option since they didn't have L. If they had L I probably would have played it safe and gotten the L. The only issue you may run into is your pedaling height with the seat. I have the seatpost slammed and it is a perfect height with the 150mm post. The reach is quite longer than what I am used to but after a few rides I dig it. The only thing I may consider down the road is a bit shorter stem but for now it is good. I found stack height to be low so I do have max spacers under the stem.

As for the 29 wheels, I heard this was optimized for 27.5 plus. A few people have said it just doesn't ride as fun with 29 wheels. My other bike is a 29er full suspension and honestly I can't say I wish this was 29. I like the extra cush and grip of the plus size tires.

It is very stable descending because of the reach and HT angle and I feel like I do give up a little in nimbleness, not as easy to toss around, but could be just getting used to the bike in general.

I came from riding a 2018 Honzo CR DL which was a fun bike in it's own right but wasn't fun enough for me to hang on to it.
    Ride 365

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
    As for the 29 wheels, I heard this was optimized for 27.5 plus. A few people have said it just doesn't ride as fun with 29 wheels.
    You might prefer 27+ to 29er wheel/tire on the MC, but there is nothing about the geo that's going to make 27+ great and 29er meh.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    My mc rides great with both. Mine is in 29er mode right now and I'm haveing a blast on it with the 29s.

Rippin da fAt
    What hardtail party said!

My MC is a singlespeed and on 27.5 x 3.0's for the ability to be set for the terrain, rowdy riding, flow trail rail etc. It gets down to a couple PSI adjustments and it's on.
    As soon as I'm past the illness, I'll be railing the local trails that are being groomed and prepped for snow BMX.

The best part of the MC, build it out the way ya wanna, change it up in minutes with a few parts, tire, wheel changes etc. Flavor of the day can change in short order and lend to some damn nice versatility.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Just finished building up one of the last 2019 MC frames.
    Full build list below:

Frame size XL

29 Stans Flow MK3/ Hope Pro 4 Hubs

Maxxis Minion DHRII 2.4WT Rear Tire

Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5WT Front Tire

2019 Fox 36 Fit4 / 140mm travel

Renthal Apex 50mm Stem

Renthal Fatbar 35 / 20mm rise Handlebar

Renthal Kevlar Grips

Shimano XT M785 Brakes (soon to be upgraded to Zees)

Shimano 203mm/180mm Ice-Tech Rotors

Raceface Turbine Cinch Crank w/ 32t ring

Shimano XT M785 Clipless Pedals

Sunrace CSMX8 11-46t, 11spd Cassette

SRAM PC-1110 Chain

Shimano XT M8000 11spd Derailleur

Shimano XT M8000 Trigger Shifter

Gamut P40 Chain Guide

Oneup V2 Dropper Post / 210mm

Wolf Tooth REMOTE Dropper Lever

Ergon SME Carbon Saddle

Frame weight w/ headset cups installed weighs 7.33lbs

Total build weighs 32.75lbs.

First impressions - the frame quality feels and looks very good. There were no imperfections to the paint or to the frame which is always a plus to see when a frame arrives. Welds look really good. Overall, VERY happy and excited with the purchase of this frameset.

I am tall @ 65, so I was a little worried the stack height on this frame would be too short. I am running 35mm of spacers under stem to achieve a good saddle to handlebar height. I have yet to ride the bike in the dirt, have only cruised the streets of the neighborhood, but I can tell the overall feel of the bike feels really nice. What I do love about this frame, is the low standover height, love love love this! Always being on a size XL frame, standover is most always really high with most frames, but the MC changes that for me. I can drop the saddle really low, especially with the 210mm dropper. Thus, will allow me to get low behind the saddle and to be able to throw the bike around a lot easier on rowdy terrain. This was a HUGE plus for me. It will be nice because I can take this bike to the dirt jumps as well as the trails. Very versatile bike, for sure! Tire clearance is also really good on this frame. Plenty of room with a 29 Maxxis 2.4WT tire, and still allows me to move the wheel up in the chainstay if I wanted.

Just for fun, I removed that huge boat anchor of a head badge and replaced it with a gloss black decal. Sorry Alex @ RSD, I cant say Im a fan of the logo, not the best design IMO, so I had to tone it down a bit with more of a stealth look. But hey, the frame design is what really matters, right?! For some small detail, I inlayed some orange decals in the RSD stamp on the rear chainstays. Then applied 3M-7461 Shower Tread over the top of it as well as all over the inside of the chainstay in the high wear areas. Applied it on the underside of the down tube, too. Made my own chainstay protector out of 3M-2228 Mastic Tape. This stuff is really nice, check it out.

Really excited to take this bad girl out. Its going to be a nice addition to my full squish. Nice to change things up a bit.

2020-01-13 15.08.03 by Mike S, on Flickr

2020-01-13 15.12.01 by Mike S, on Flickr

2020-01-13 15.08.42 by Mike S, on Flickr

2020-01-13 15.10.08 by Mike S, on Flickr

2020-01-13 15.16.20 by Mike S, on Flickr

2020-01-13 14.49.26 by Mike S, on Flickr

2020-01-13 15.13.58 by Mike S, on Flickr

Rippin da fAt
    Welcome to the MC club, Dirt! Looks the part, indeed. Nice selection on the build kit.

With a few good rides, you'll be groovin.
    Doctor recommended...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123