Roscoe 7 vs What bike without 141 QR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Roscoe 7 vs What bike without 141 QR?

Looking for a bike like the Roscoe7 ($1259)with same specs except without the 141 rear spacing which I really don't want.
    I did a bit of searching online but can't seem to find a bike with the same specs and price point as the roscoe 7 with 148 TA.
    Similar bike like the big honzo seem to be almost $500 more.

Thoughts?

Roscoe 7 vs What bike without 141 QR?-roscoe.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Norco Fluid HT1 or HT2 - Has 2.6 tyres but far more progressive geometry.

This place needs an enema
    Just curious what the hangup is with the 141?

Lots of quality hubs out there in that size if you don't care for the stock one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    In the same boat and thinking Iím going to end with a 2020 Specialized Fuse 27.5. I want a 2.8-3.0 and dropped post so the specialized fuse seems to be the entry price point and has a better hub.

mtbr member
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Just curious what the hangup is with the 141?

Lots of quality hubs out there in that size if you don't care for the stock one.
    Not a hangup per se, but I tend to buy and keep stuff for a long time. A quick ebay scan for '141 boost' or 141x9' or '141 QR' brings up basically nothing. ' Boost 148' search returns with tons of options of both new and used, and I can easily pick up a cheap 29er wheelset if I wanted to try it. I don't want to buy my first new bike in almost 20 years and be limited in parts going forward. I'm already there with 26.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the other options guys. It appears that nothing is in the Roscoe 7's MSRP $1,260 range for a comparable bike. It appears I need to be in the $1700 range and then my options open up (SC, Whyte,Commencal, Fuse, Kona, etc, etc).

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
    Thanks for the other options guys. It appears that nothing is in the Roscoe 7's MSRP $1,260 range for a comparable bike. It appears I need to be in the $1700 range and then my options open up (SC, Whyte,Commencal, Fuse, Kona, etc, etc).
    I have this bike, had it for about a month or so now. So far , I'm enjoying it a lot, for the main trail system I ride its perfect. It's my first bike since 2015, been off of them due to injuries and life scenarios. There are plenty of threads here about the Hope Pro 4 148 Boost hubs with QR end caps to get to the 141 spec that will work on this bike.

Its not a speed machine, at least with me as the engine, more like a tank. I'm not a fan of the pedals or seat, just haven't had time or inclination to swap them out.My last bike was a Scott 940 Genius, and while this one is a hard tail , the plus size tires make a big difference.

Just some food for thought.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the info, it appears we have the same engine.
    That said, I has the SS out yesterday with 2.1's and was thinking how a plus bike would be fun to ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
    Not a hangup per se, but I tend to buy and keep stuff for a long time. A quick ebay scan for '141 boost' or 141x9' or '141 QR' brings up basically nothing. ' Boost 148' search returns with tons of options of both new and used, and I can easily pick up a cheap 29er wheelset if I wanted to try it. I don't want to buy my first new bike in almost 20 years and be limited in parts going forward. I'm already there with 26.
    ebay is a shitty place to shop.

mikesee is referring to the fact that pretty much any quality hub with swappable endcaps can be had in 141qr. Many don't go out of their way to advertise that fact and that's somewhat detrimental to the discussion. But a 141qr hub uses the exact same hub shell dimensions as a 148ta hub. So, for the same reason that a 135qr hub with swappable end caps can fit a 142ta frame with an end cap swap, a 148ta hub can go the other direction to a 141qr frame with a simple end cap swap.

This includes hub brands like DT Swiss, Industry Nine, Onyx, etc. Cheaper hubs that use some sort of threaded bearing preload/end cap/axle setup are more complicated. These often exist in a space below the aforementioned hub brands (but also include a couple higher end brands, too) but better than the low end OEM stuff. THAT is where there is a lack of options for 141qr. But, IMO, those aren't really worth the time, anyway (except for the few higher quality hubs like King and Shimano's new hubs - it's a shame that the SLX ones at least don't come in a 141qr option).

What you're seeing in the lack of ebay results is a combination of poor listings and a lack of stuff on the "cheap" marketplace.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I used ebay as a quick gauge to see what out there, however you can do well there if you know what you are looking at.

I understand that it's the same hub shell with different end caps for some brands out there. Buy a hub, change end caps, install.

I'm just trying to find a bike in the same low price point with boost 148. Don't seem to be any is all. I will have to see what comes up in the used market this winter.