Rigid plus bike options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Rigid plus bike options?

What are my rigid plus bike options 27.5+ or 29+ size tires? Looking for something that is a good handler, have disk brakes, at least let me hold 3 bottles, and lets me ride anything comes in my way. I plan to ride both road and off-road/mountain single track. I would prefer it to be at 30-ish lbs- or less and for cost reasons be non-carbon. I want to keep it around $1200 or less and don't mind going used or building the bike from the frame up. I am 5ftt 7" and 160lbs.

I know Surly has few, like the Ogre(more of a bike packing, but caught my eye), ECR, Karate Monkey rigid, Krampus, and Bridge Club, but what are some of the differences as they all seem similar to me minus tire size difference and some geo differences? Like that most frame are under $700. What other options are there? Would a Kona Sutra be comparable? What about something from the bigger names? Like Salsa and Specialized?

Thanksss

Co Springs
    This in green is hanging in my garage right now-

https://www.jensonusa.com/Marin-Pine...in-1-Bike-2019

It's a friends bike who really only gets out when I do so I keep track of it for him. I have the front sus or h/t version and talked him into getting the rigid. It's a lovely bike with geo that is comfortable and fits well with out feeling too generic. The plus ride is very favorable in considering traction, trail rides/surfaces of many sorts and even the snowish rides.
    I was thinking it can be had / found for something in the sub $800 range but not for sure.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

Wanna ride bikes?
    https://konaworld.com/unit_x.cfm

The Surly KM or Krampus are also great options.

The Sutra will only clear tires up to 2.2" or so, so doesn't fit your "plus" requirement. Otherwise the Sutra is awesome.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    This in green is hanging in my garage right now-

https://www.jensonusa.com/Marin-Pine...in-1-Bike-2019

It's a friends bike who really only gets out when I do so I keep track of it for him. I have the front sus or h/t version and talked him into getting the rigid. It's a lovely bike with geo that is comfortable and fits well with out feeling too generic. The plus ride is very favorable in considering traction, trail rides/surfaces of many sorts and even the snowish rides.
    I was thinking it can be had / found for something in the sub $800 range but not for sure.
    That would be the Marin Pine Mountain. The Pine Mountain 1 (and 2) has a suspension fork. Kind of confusing.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Marin-Pine-Mountain-Bike-2019

The 1 is actually on sale cheaper than the, uh, not numbered one.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Co Springs
    Thanks Chaz, that's it exactly. PM, PM1 and PW2. The two always had an eyecandy type of color, columbus tubing and misc other upgrades but about dbl or more the PM1.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    https://konaworld.com/unit_x.cfm

The Surly KM or Krampus are also great options.

The Sutra will only clear tires up to 2.2" or so, so doesn't fit your "plus" requirement. Otherwise the Sutra is awesome.
    Isn't there a version Sutra that hold plus tires? Is that the LTD variant or am I thinking of the Rove?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    How does the Pine Mountain compare to the Surly Krampus, KM, or ECR? Is it lighter better handler? Can it handle something like those curved bars Surly and others makes?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by LezRide View Post
    Isn't there a version Sutra that hold plus tires? Is that the LTD variant or am I thinking of the Rove?
    Ah, you may be thinking of the Rove which has "Road Plus", which is 27.5"x47c tires. Not real Plus tires like a MTB.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    This review says some users have fit 27.5x2.8 tires. https://bikepacking.com/bikes/kona-sutra-ltd-review/

How woUld that compare to PM or the surly models I am looking at?

Cycologist
    Are you wanting drop bars or mtb bars? Are you going bike packing with it? What kind of distances?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Wanna ride bikes?
    This review says some users have fit 27.5x2.8 tires. https://bikepacking.com/bikes/kona-sutra-ltd-review/

How woUld that compare to PM or the surly models I am looking at?
    Huh, I didn't know that but that's pretty cool.

Again, this all comes back to what you want IMO. A touring/gravel drop bar bike vs a flat bar MTB.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Hard to beat Surly for what youíre asking for. Krampus checks all the boxes except for three water bottle mounts. Thatís gonna be a challenge for a non-bike packing specific frame/fork (like the Trek 1120, which could also check yer boxes). Older, rigid Stache would also be right up your alley.

Personally, not a 27.5 fan, but to each his/her own. Might try 27.5x3.8 at some point, but thatís a whole Ďnother adventure.

29+ and rigid go together like chocolate and peanut butter. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I like the look and idea of the Sutra LTD, but not big on drop bars, was thinking curved bar like the Fatback Sweet 16į bar my old bike had. Frame-set(for the LTD) seems great at $600 for 2020 model, which add mounts on the fork now. I plan to ride 4+ hours in hot weather(well in mid-spring to mid-fall) in my local mountains so not bike packing and I get thirstier faster than most people. It's a safety thing on why I would like 3 bottles.

How would you say the Krampus compares to the KM and the Ogre and ECR(which starts about 100 more than the other two but if it's worth it, it is worth it)? What about vs the Marin PM? I also noticed on my local CL and market place that Niner also has a rigid mountain bike(and not that flat bar cyclecross bike), but not sure if that's a plus bike or not. If it is, how does it compare? Is there any other model I am missing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Does the Salsa timberjack come with a rigid fork? I am seeing frame(no fork) for $450 and it seems interesting as it has three bottle mounts too.

Snow Dog
    I have a 2015 Krampus...almost bought the same year ECR, and am glad I didn't...

the Krampus is way more versatile I believe. I think it is still the same thing with the new models.

I can tell you that my Krampus has served very well as a trail/long ride/gravel/ and rec/paved trail bike. I even run it at the skatepark and BMX race track some times...I ride mostly in the fall and winter, and we get moderate snow here in Central Ohio, and it works great in that...but you said you are a warm weather guy, so that is probably not gonna be a thing for you, but you will have the option.

I ride mostly in Ohio and Michigan right now, so it is rocky/rooty techy stuff, with short punchy climbs sometimes...also some sand riding in MI...

the best thing about the bike is that I can go from one terrain type to the next with no change of equipment other than adjusting the air in the tires...

I am not as "up" on the specs of the newest Krampi b/c I am not in the market for another bike, but I have read that the specs between the ECR and Krampus are more different now than they were in 2015 when I was shopping...
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Cycologist
    Does the Salsa timberjack come with a rigid fork? I am seeing frame(no fork) for $450 and it seems interesting as it has three bottle mounts too.
    The Kona Unit X has four bottle mounts, two of which are on the fork. Actually, I guess it has five but I'm not sure you can fit a bottle under the down tube, looks like it is too close to the chainring for a bottle, maybe just a pump.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I live in warm weather so i am kind of required to be a warm weather gal. Right now for me my short list atm is Krampus, Pine Mountain, and maybe KM. Unit X also looks interesting. I take the Unit is the single speed version of the Unit X?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I live in warm weather so i am kind of required to be a warm weather gal. Right now for me my short list atm is Krampus, Pine Mountain, and maybe KM. Unit X also looks interesting. I take the Unit is the single speed version of the Unit X?
    My 2018 Unit X has a bottle cage mounted on the downtube underside, works great. I hated the 1x system so I swapped in an SLX side-swing FD, and put on a longer chain, with a 34/24 replacing the original 28t I have a better granny gear, and donít spin out at a meager 20 mph. The 2020 has a bottom end 1x12 that should be less awful.
    The Unit SS was the original, the Unit X is the johny come lately.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    It seems like 2020 Unit X is now 29x2.6 bike, and has a few more changes, besides color for about the same price. I probably wait until closer to the holidays to get a bike. I guess right now I can just borrow my wife's bike if I want to ride on the days she works and I don't.

So, I will have to find a lbs that has the kona unit x, marin pm, and Surly krampus rigid to test in person. I really like how the green unit x looks.

Co Springs
    I like the look and idea of the Sutra LTD, but not big on drop bars, was thinking curved bar like the Fatback Sweet 16į bar my old bike had. Frame-set(for the LTD) seems great at $600 for 2020 model, which add mounts on the fork now. I plan to ride 4+ hours in hot weather(well in mid-spring to mid-fall) in my local mountains so not bike packing and I get thirstier faster than most people. It's a safety thing on why I would like 3 bottles.

How would you say the Krampus compares to the KM and the Ogre and ECR(which starts about 100 more than the other two but if it's worth it, it is worth it)? What about vs the Marin PM? I also noticed on my local CL and market place that Niner also has a rigid mountain bike(and not that flat bar cyclecross bike), but not sure if that's a plus bike or not. If it is, how does it compare? Is there any other model I am missing?
    Jamis has bikes in that category but not sure of their strength as per dealer support/LBS.
    I went by what we have locally and got the PM1 in that weird red-orange color from 2016/17. It's got three cage mounts for water or cage pack, steel frame and likely the weight similar to others of steel. I think its a twin in most respect to the PM aside from the fork so 3 mounts sounds right.
    fit and ride position really mean a lot so it's best you do the homework on that front which should boil down some answers for you fairly easy. Mix that with what you get here and if it comes to a tie of 2 or 3 bikes, let budget, "deal" or preferred color break the indecision. In all seriousness, many a bike experts have said it's all bout having fun and enjoying the ride basically hinting that anyone they knew never got the perfect bike or deal if it was settling for a pukey color or one they weren't really exited about for appearance sake.
    Best of luck.

*Also, it's quite easy to add a third bottle option to any bike if it just has two and it won't look like a DIY hack either.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 09-08-2019 at 07:03 AM.

Cycologist
    It seems like 2020 Unit X is now 29x2.6 bike, and has a few more changes, besides color for about the same price. I probably wait until closer to the holidays to get a bike. I guess right now I can just borrow my wife's bike if I want to ride on the days she works and I don't.

So, I will have to find a lbs that has the kona unit x, marin pm, and Surly krampus rigid to test in person. I really like how the green unit x looks.
    What kind of bike does your wife have? Are you two about the same height?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    She has a Krampus her brother just built for her, cause that's what she wants. Yet to ride it though as I haven't had the time.

Moderator Moderator
    So you're looking for a drop-bar bike? Some people ride them on singletrack, but it would not be my pick. How far do you plan to ride on road rides? I would not just throw a flat bar on a drop bar bike as the geometry will be way different. I like the looks of the Kona Unit, but not sure why steel instead of aluminum for a plus bike. Maybe a Trek 1120, pricier, but perhaps you can find a used one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    No no looking for a drop bar, but sweep bar. I went to a local LBS and person helping me said if I am looking at both the KM and the Krampus, to go KM. He has ridden both back to back and said for the mountains and riding that we have in this area/state the KM would roll better and feel lighter. He also find the geo better on the KM. He suggested the Krampus if I were to be going mountain bike-packing(where bike-packing is the main feature), which I would not be. They didn't have a KM or Krampus to try in store. He also suggest I look at the All-City Electric Queen as stick is rigid fork. Said front is a bit more squirly vs Suly, but he likes the rear better and is just as fun. I think he also said it's heavier than the KM and a hair heavier than the Krampus. They only had a suspension model in stock, and didn't try it.

Anyone have experience with the Electric Queen? I really dig the pain job on it. So, right now on my short list is the KM, Electric Queen, and Unit X(2019 as 2020 is now a 29 vs 27.5+ of the older models, but 2020 has more bottle mounts). A small part of me also wants a sweep bar a Kona Sutra LTD as on a local CL I am seeing one for $1000 with 29x2.8 tires.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You can also mount water bottles to the fork of the Krampus, so it would actually exceed the three water bottle requirement.

Bikesexual
    I don't have the Electric Queen but I can say that All City makes awesome bikes. My MMD is probably my favorite bike.

My Krampus is new, so not many miles but for what/where I ride, I love it.

Good luck, steel, rigid, and plus is a fun time.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I like the looks of the Kona Unit, but not sure why steel instead of aluminum for a plus bike.
    Because it's more better! The Kona Unit has (almost) always been steel.

Yeah plus tires take some of the sting out, but rigid is rigid. Steel gives a better ride, period.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I take the KM is lighter than the Krampus? How does the Unit compare the KM and Electric Queen?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I don't have the Electric Queen but I can say that All City makes awesome bikes. My MMD is probably my favorite bike.

My Krampus is new, so not many miles but for what/where I ride, I love it.

Good luck, steel, rigid, and plus is a fun time.
    Yeah I've been hearing good thing about steel. I saw a really nice orange Gorilla Monsoon at the shop and it reminded me of 90s mtb with drop bars. I take that's not really a mtb. How is the Unit compared to the Krampus? Have you ridden a KM?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I take the KM is lighter than the Krampus? How does the Unit compare the KM and Electric Queen?
    The KM may be marginally lighter than the Krampus, but I doubt it's much different. They are basically the same frame with the Krampus having slightly more BB drop and longer chain/seat stays. The forks are identical. I bet the tubing is identical as well.

The 2020 Unit x is a little longer and slacker than the Krampus/KM, and has identical BB drop to the Krampus. It also uses Reynolds 520 tubing, which is more 'premium' than the generic 4130 used by Surly. Components are similar (11 sp NX on Surly vs 12 speed SX on the Kona), and the Kona is slightly cheaper. The Kona may or may not fit 'real' 29x3" tires, the krampus and KM both will.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

Bikesexual
    Yeah I've been hearing good thing about steel. I saw a really nice orange Gorilla Monsoon at the shop and it reminded me of 90s mtb with drop bars. I take that's not really a mtb. How is the Unit compared to the Krampus? Have you ridden a KM?
    I have an older Unit ('12), running regular 29ers. The geo is better on the Krampus given the age difference, and the plus tires do give some extra cushion.

So can't compare the current Unit to the Krampus. All your choices seem solid though.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    Hard to beat Surly for what youíre asking for. Krampus checks all the boxes except for three water bottle mounts. Thatís gonna be a challenge for a non-bike packing specific frame/fork (like the Trek 1120, which could also check yer boxes). Older, rigid Stache would also be right up your alley.

Personally, not a 27.5 fan, but to each his/her own. Might try 27.5x3.8 at some point, but thatís a whole Ďnother adventure.

29+ and rigid go together like chocolate and peanut butter. Enjoy.
    My Krampus has 33 braze ons. It can fit all the water bottle mounts you need.

mtbr member
    Reynolds 520 is just branded 4130. The ride will be dictated by the tubing diameter, butting profile, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661 View Post
    The KM may be marginally lighter than the Krampus, but I doubt it's much different. They are basically the same frame with the Krampus having slightly more BB drop and longer chain/seat stays. The forks are identical. I bet the tubing is identical as well.

The 2020 Unit x is a little longer and slacker than the Krampus/KM, and has identical BB drop to the Krampus. It also uses Reynolds 520 tubing, which is more 'premium' than the generic 4130 used by Surly. Components are similar (11 sp NX on Surly vs 12 speed SX on the Kona), and the Kona is slightly cheaper. The Kona may or may not fit 'real' 29x3" tires, the krampus and KM both will.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    You might also want a Jones: https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-ste...el-truss-fork/ Plus capable, with AM geometry yet also capable as a tourer and a bikepacking rig with plenty of bottle mounts and if you get the unicrown, anything bag locations.

There is a 29+ option too: https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-ste...imited-colors/

Check it out and separate from the usual.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What are my rigid plus bike options 27.5+ or 29+ size tires? Looking for something that is a good handler, have disk brakes, at least let me hold 3 bottles, and lets me ride anything comes in my way. I plan to ride both road and off-road/mountain single track. I would prefer it to be at 30-ish lbs- or less and for cost reasons be non-carbon. I want to keep it around $1200 or less and don't mind going used or building the bike from the frame up. I am 5ftt 7" and 160lbs.

I know Surly has few, like the Ogre(more of a bike packing, but caught my eye), ECR, Karate Monkey rigid, Krampus, and Bridge Club, but what are some of the differences as they all seem similar to me minus tire size difference and some geo differences? Like that most frame are under $700. What other options are there? Would a Kona Sutra be comparable? What about something from the bigger names? Like Salsa and Specialized?

Thanksss
    Rigid, good handler--I have yet to find one better than a Jones. Not a LWB, but SWB. I've not ridden the LWB, so I don't know. They are not light, but if you can handle the 30lb heft, they are amazing.

https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-plu...plete-bicycle/

Rigid plus bike options?-jones-plus-complete_large.jpg

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Just a heads-up: Surly is about to announce their new Krampus lineup in the next few weeks, so you may want to wait until we find out what changes they've made before making your final decision.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I do plan to wait as it I don't have all the money yet(insurance hasn't paid me yet).

I really like the electric queen, but then I double checked the price on All-City site and unless I can find it for a good price $1000 for the frame is more than I want to spend when the Kona and KM can he had for much less than that. Reviews I saw for the EQ said it was $750 for the frame, but those were from 2-ish years ago, so I guess price went up there.

What's the difference between the Unit X and Unit? I also seeing locally the Marin Pine Mountain for $650 in the used market and that's a tempting price, but I a bit shallow and like how the 2018/19 green Kona Unit models look and the dark shades of the KM.

As much as I have been hearing good things about the Jones bikes, it's out of my budget sadly.

mtbr member
    not sure how much you want to spend but they do have a complete build at $1800. Building up a disc frame and fork set at $700-800 might get you lower but it'll get close to that amount I bet.

https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-plu...plete-bicycle/

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I am trying to stay around $1200, which I can if I go KM, Marin PM or Unit X as I have Sram 1x10 components from my bike that was hacked apart. So that saves me money there. The EQ would take me over budget and I can't really do that. I really like the idea and colors of EQ as it's suppose to a bit lighter than the KM and others I am looking at and one review called it better built than the KM. Plus, I like that it is a bit less bike packing oriented than the others. Unless, I can find a deal on it, it's off on the side list of bikes I want. Same with the Jones bike.

I was on the Marin site and it looks like no more regular Pine Mountain for 2020, just the 1 and the 2. It also looks like it's now a 29x2.6 bike. Not for me.

Cycologist
    What's the difference between the Unit X and Unit?
    The Unit is a singlespeed. They are the same frame and you can swap out the dropouts to change them back and forth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Ah so is it X as in the letter or the roman numeral? I've pretty much now narrowed it down to X and KM. Just now need to see, which I find at a better deal and see what the 2020 KM brings. 2020 Unit X moved from 27.5+ to 29x2.6, but can it still take 27.5+? Which is better as a do everything 27.5+ or 29+? Cause my part stolen bike was/is 29x2.4 tires and wasn't plus.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    So does, Salsa, Soma, Crust, or Specialized offer anything in this segment I am looking at?

Cycologist
    Ah so is it X as in the letter or the roman numeral? I've pretty much now narrowed it down to X and KM. Just now need to see, which I find at a better deal and see what the 2020 KM brings. 2020 Unit X moved from 27.5+ to 29x2.6, but can it still take 27.5+? Which is better as a do everything 27.5+ or 29+? Cause my part stolen bike was/is 29x2.4 tires and wasn't plus.

My guess is that it started out as a ten speed and so it was roman numeral. But now it is 12 speed, so I guess it doesn't matter, I'd say "x" but they may say "10". It can still take 27.5+.

A lot of people prefer 29+ but it seems like a lot of them are taller guys. 29x2.6 are wide but not really considered plus, 2.8s are plus. The larger diameter may offset that some.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Trek Stache with the Trek carbon rigid fork! I have one and adore it. Frame can be purchased in aluminum for about $800 and the fork is about $400. (Better deal could be made, especially if you have a good relationship with the Trek LBS) Mine rolls on Ibis S35 wheels and now some Maxxis Minion DHF 3" tires. Its is amazing what this bike can do! Check one out. It will be slightly over your budget, but well worth ever penny.

Rigid plus bike options?-img_5591.jpg
    Set up geared

Rigid plus bike options?-img_4159.jpg
    as single speed

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Is there a non carbon fork option on the Stache to save a little $? Trek's site is saying it's a frameset for both AL and Carbon, is it a frameset? Also, one comment on the Trek site says the AL is a 27.5+ bike while the Carbon is 29+. Is that correct?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Specialized Fuse, bought the frame, 29" wheels, 2.8 in back, 3" in front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rigid plus bike options?-dsc03487.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Is there a non carbon fork option on the Stache to save a little $? Trek's site is saying it's a frameset for both AL and Carbon, is it a frameset? Also, one comment on the Trek site says the AL is a 27.5+ bike while the Carbon is 29+. Is that correct?
    A fork is not included, I think they say 'frameset' because it has a headset and rear axle (?). Both frames are 29+. The original Al frames used to say they were compatible with 29" and 27.5+ as well, but the BB will get kind of low.

There are some Chinese carbon fork options that are cheaper (See Tandall and DIYcarbonbikes both about $200), but neither are as long as the Trek 1120 fork (@510 mm), so handling will be a little more 'XC'. The Trek fork also comes with attachment points for bottles etc., which is nice.

RSD makes an aluminum fork with mounting points in 510 mm for $250.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Interesting. Will have to look into the Trek too, but right now the front runners are the KM and UX, unless I find a deal on the EQ.

Edit: Unless I can find a stache or fuse on sale it's out of my price range for a frame only and I don't want suspension fork model, which is within budget, but I like the simplicity of rigid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I am seeing some Soma frames at like $350, which would be their version of a rigid mtb?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The Trek Stache is 29+ only! Riding it in other configurations will lower the BB too much. They sell the Stache frameset (excluding fork) in both aluminum ($800) and carbon ('19 on sale now at $1400). Trek only makes on fork compatible for this bike--the unit off of an 1120. They don't show it on their site but you can buy one, and like I said before, it is priced about $400-$450 for one. Plus that fork has mounting points for camping, water or whatever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Yeah the trek seems to be pricier than I want to spend, but it looks good. I will have to see what holiday deals I I find, but atm Kona Unit and Karate Monkey are tied for me. Unless, I find a really good deal on the Electric Queen.

Again anyone know anything about the Crust or Soma bikes? Which are the rigid models?

mtbr member
    For Soma, nothing is rigid specific, but you can add a suspension corrected rigid fork to any of them.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Ah okay. What about Salsa and Crust bikes? How does Soma, Salsa, and Crust frames compare to KM and Unit?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The differences between those bikes is not night and day IMO. They are all 'light trail'. The Kona leans more toward 'modern' longer, lower, slackers geometry than the others. I think your next step at this point is to find a few of these in an LBS so you can take a ride and judge what fits your riding style and body the best.

That or buy the one you can get the cheapest. These are all good bikes and should meet your needs, as you've described them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Trek Stache with the Trek carbon rigid fork! I have one and adore it. Frame can be purchased in aluminum for about $800 and the fork is about $400. (Better deal could be made, especially if you have a good relationship with the Trek LBS) Mine rolls on Ibis S35 wheels and now some Maxxis Minion DHF 3" tires. Its is amazing what this bike can do! Check one out. It will be slightly over your budget, but well worth ever penny.

Set up geared

as single speed
    $1200 for an aluminum frame and carbon fork? A whole Krampus is like $1500 new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    For Soma, nothing is rigid specific, but you can add a suspension corrected rigid fork to any of them.
    Avoid soma at all costs. I had a b-side and the dropouts had the worst sketchy design flaw - warranty and customer service was non-existent.

I went with a new Krampus last fall and haven't looked back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Iíve seen Somas in person. They look like poor quality even from a distance. Maybe itís the paint.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661 View Post
    The differences between those bikes is not night and day IMO. They are all 'light trail'. The Kona leans more toward 'modern' longer, lower, slackers geometry than the others. I think your next step at this point is to find a few of these in an LBS so you can take a ride and judge what fits your riding style and body the best.

That or buy the one you can get the cheapest. These are all good bikes and should meet your needs, as you've described them.
    That what I am looking to do. I know a few shops with the Surly, mostly ECR and BC but they told me they should be getting a KM in(also has a EQ but with a suspension fork). And REI has Salsa(but not sure if they have any rigid mtb besides the pricey cutthorat, which is their rigid mtb model again), but not sure where I can find Kona near me so I will have to search.

What advantage does the modern geo have over the others? I take Salsa isn't modern geo, since it's under the same corp as Surly?

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by loren90 View Post
    Avoid soma at all costs. I had a b-side and the dropouts had the worst sketchy design flaw - warranty and customer service was non-existent.

I went with a new Krampus last fall and haven't looked back!
    dude...get the Krampus...I have been following the whole thread thinking..."dude needs the Krampus, dude needs the Krampus..."

i really don't think you will go wrong with it !!!

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I need to try out the krampus first, but if I was going surly I think I am going KM. So now its time to just try the KM, Krampus, Unit and if I can find one rigid Salsa Timberjack then go from there. Thank you.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I need to try out the krampus first, but if I was going surly I think I am going KM. So now its time to just try the KM, Krampus, Unit and if I can find one rigid Salsa Timberjack then go from there. Thank you.
    sounds good....will be cool to see pics oft he final choice out on the trails!!

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    moved to bottom

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The Jones SWB is the the best bike I've ever ridden in the "do it all" category, amazing commuter, bike packing, gravel, and light trail rig. This is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden! I have a Carbon Stache, I have a 27.5+ hardtail trail bike(Hayduke) and a custom 29er ss, from Coconino. Owned KM in multiple years and multiple configurations and the Jones SWB takes the cake. I honestly cant sing its praises enough. Unfortunately your local shop wont have one. Watch Jeffs' videos and if it sounds like something your into I'd highly recommend considering it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Well I probably wont get the bike until closer to the holiday season(never snows in my area so I can go mountain biking in December no problem as it will only be 50F), but yeah should be fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    So i was on a unrelated site and since some of my google search has been bikes this popped up. Price is right and comes in either 27.5 or 29 at 3in+ size. Even says it can fit up to 4in tires, which sounds interesting. Not familiar with brand. Is it any good? Or would it be worth the extra for a Surly or Kona? Save Up to 60% Off 29Plus, 27Plus Fat Bikes, Mountain Save Up to 60% Off New Bikes

Snow Dog
    So i was on a unrelated site and since some of my google search has been bikes this popped up. Price is right and comes in either 27.5 or 29 at 3in+ size. Even says it can fit up to 4in tires, which sounds interesting. Not familiar with brand. Is it any good? Or would it be worth the extra for a Surly or Kona? Save Up to 60% Off 29Plus, 27Plus Fat Bikes, Mountain Save Up to 60% Off New Bikes
    hmmm...$300 for a bike that normally lists for $1100 something? That seems fishy to me...

the "extra" that you will pay for the Surly or Kona is not extra...it is for quality. It is for well built, thought out, spec'd out bikes and parts that are proven to be solid.

I always believe that you will get what you pay for...there is no "miracle deal"...you can spend $300 5 times for bikes that won't last, or $1000+ once for a bike that will last...that is the way I think of it. Same with everything else I buy...

I teach band for a living, and my new parents are always asking if there is a "cheaper instrument" or a better deal...and there is, but the kids will get a piece of junk that is discouraging and causes frustration...then the parents are back buying another instrument, or constantly paying for repairs, and not really saving any money...

LET IT SNOW!

Bikesexual
    Stick to your original plan, BD is a great bargain for a very low budget person starting out.

I rode two of their bikes, of course they do the job but compared to my current bikes, no contest.

Edit: also all that str8 said.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Cycologist
    Bikes Direct owns the brands they sell, some of them are old brands that they just bought the rights to the brand name. The "list price" are just made up numbers, the bikes never have been sold at anywhere near that price. For the price, it may be a pretty good deal but it is not comparable to the bikes you are considering. It is also an aluminum frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Good to know thanks.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    It is also an aluminum frame.
    Yikes!! Nasty!

Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

that guy
    Jun 2011
    There is nothing wrong with a good aluminum frame. Check out the new Ibis Ripmo AF, YT Capra 29 AL, SC Chameleon, Trek 1120, or countless other modern frames for examples of premium quality aluminum bikes.

Every material has its pros and cons.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a good aluminum frame. Check out the new Ibis Ripmo AF, YT Capra 29 AL, SC Chameleon, Trek 1120, or countless other modern frames for examples of premium quality aluminum bikes.

Every material has its pros and cons.

Half the bikes you listed are long travel full suspension bikes. You're right, frame material largely doesn't matter here.

On a rigid bike, frame materiel matters.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I take the same statement would apply to fat bike too, or just Plus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    How does the Framed Wolftrax in the 27.5+ tires compare to the Unit, KM, and Timberjack. May have to take the PM of the list as I can't find it frame only and the rigid model is no more. Thanks

Wanna ride bikes?
    I take the same statement would apply to fat bike too, or just Plus?
    Generally as the tire size gets bigger, the frame material matters less. So it's less important on a fat bike than a gravel bike for instance. That's not to say that it doesn't matter, I can still get that lively ride quality from my Surly Wednesday, but I mostly feel it on jumps/drops. (that bike also has a suspension fork and a dropper so I'm pretty well insulated). Having said that I wouldn't change it for anything. No interest in an aluminum fat bike frame.

How does the Framed Wolftrax in the 27.5+ tires compare to the Unit, KM, and Timberjack. May have to take the PM of the list as I can't find it frame only and the rigid model is no more. Thanks
    The Framed bike is in a different category compared to the other 3 bikes you listed. It's not terrible but it's not on the same level of the others, too many super cheap components for me. If you're on a budget and want a decent quality bike it's a good option, it's not totally terrible.

I personally would not ride a Framed because of geometry and components, but I'd gladly own the Unit or KM. I also like Salsa but would want slightly different geometry than the TJ. Slack STA, short reach.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I was thinking about starting with the frameset. But, is the frame quality as good as the others? Like the Wolftrax is $400 with fork and the TJ is 450 with the headset. Those are tempting prices. Someone in the Timberjack thread mentioned a youtube video of a timberjack owner with the KM or was it Electric Queen rigid fork and that sounds tasty to me. So the the Wolftax set for $400 as I think that can fit between plus and fat tires. And they have ads showing up for me all over this site.

Wanna ride bikes?
    The Framed frame quality is fine, not sure what the warranty is like compared to others?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Good to know. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    My local REI has a open box 2018 Cannondale Cujo 2 with 27.5x2.8 tires(WTB ranger) for $575. It's not rigid, but it comes with Shimano SLX 1x11(28x11-42), rockshock, and dropper post. Sadly it's a large. Person there said an REI in across the country has it in my size a medium & if I really want it they can order it for me. I wanted a Salsa, Surly, or Kona rigid, but at this price that's really tempting. Should I go for it? Or is it worth the extra to go Salsa or Kona for $200-400 more?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Cannondale makes a good bike, but they use way too much proprietary crap for me (like Trek and Specialized). Headsets, cranks/bottom brackets, etc. Stuff that is extremely hard to source on the open market. It's just completely unnecessary and a PITA.

That alone is worth a lot more than $400 to me.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Co Springs
    It sure looks like a good price point at that sale but I don't know how it's spec'd and compares to the other choices. I'm just not enough of a proficient gearhead to help advise.
    If waiting isn't killing you, my guess is some advice will lean to spending a bit more to get one of the others you've been shopping.

A) You don't want to feel you settled for less bike or something that isn't exactly what you want (thinking long term ownership).
    B) I might have missed it but have you been out test riding bikes and getting the whole fit and sizing figured out? I ask because I honestly think "THE BIKE for you" is going to speak to you as you ride, pedal and absorb it's character.

It's a shame you can't do that on the proper size Cujo in the moment so-to-speak and lined up next to some other options you are considering. *I would forgive the alum frame on that one just because its a plus bike & h/t. It will offer comfort without any major downsides.

C) Go with the Cujo and it may be the perfect bike forever or (at that cost) you can move up later if wanted or needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Well this is the specs for the 2018 model. https://www.cannondale.com/USA/bike/...b-34fdf124e2c2

The REI I went to has a TimberJack, but told me was in an the smallest size it comes in, but it's also closer to $2000 dollars cause it's well spec'ed. If I went TJ i'd probably start with a frame since it's $450 wit the headset. I really got hyped up cause I saw it's a 1x with rockshocks judy(and not suntour, which is usually at this price) and wasn't sure if it was a 1 was missing in the front of the number as the other plus bike Cannondales were $1000 more. Same with their own Co-Op branded bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    The other option i am seeing is on my local CL a Marin Pine Mountain rigid for the same price, but that's a Shimano Alivio 3x9. I am correct in thinking the Alivio lower than the SLX line up? Would PM have the better geo or be better cause it's steel?

Wanna ride bikes?
    The other option i am seeing is on my local CL a Marin Pine Mountain rigid for the same price, but that's a Shimano Alivio 3x9. I am correct in thinking the Alivio lower than the SLX line up? Would PM have the better geo or be better cause it's steel?
    You don't want 3x Alivio. Yes, SLX is in a whole different category and much better.

You seem to know what you're looking for and have narrowed it down to a few bikes. Time to go do some test rides and pull the trigger on something.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I have test rode a few, it's more now trying to find it in my size within my budget. Cause the Cujo is a large, and the Marin sweet, but at that price for a 3x alivio is a no(if it was 350 sure, cause then I can just put in a 1x crankset, and long cage shimano rd). So for me if the store across the country has the 2018 Cujo 2 in my size that would be my pick as it has a good drivetrain, 27.5x2.8 tire, and if it has to be suspension fork model then at least it's an acceptable Rockshox model. If that doesn't pan out either a Pine Mountain rigid, Timbejack, or Kona Unit X rigid. The Karate Monkey and Krampus seem out of my budget for a complete bike. Thank you all and wish me luck!

Co Springs
    Good options, wish you the fun and excitement of your process, shopping and riding some of those.

IMO- The Marin PM as steel, 1X drive, Deore, rigid and plus is a well outfitted bike that will do a lot of good things in most modes, trails and conditions and should come in well under budget for what they seem to be going for these days. Don't miss an opportunity to try one out if you have the chance. Has three hydro mounts too.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod186798

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have test rode a few, it's more now trying to find it in my size within my budget. Cause the Cujo is a large, and the Marin sweet, but at that price for a 3x alivio is a no(if it was 350 sure, cause then I can just put in a 1x crankset, and long cage shimano rd). So for me if the store across the country has the 2018 Cujo 2 in my size that would be my pick as it has a good drivetrain, 27.5x2.8 tire, and if it has to be suspension fork model then at least it's an acceptable Rockshox model. If that doesn't pan out either a Pine Mountain rigid, Timbejack, or Kona Unit X rigid. The Karate Monkey and Krampus seem out of my budget for a complete bike. Thank you all and wish me luck!
    I would not take the Marin because Alivio is entry level that means everything on that bike will be **entry level** = heavy wheels, heavy bike. Try finding out if the bike is too long for you. All medium are not equal but it is tempting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Find out which bike is too long?

Sadly a medium size PM at chainreaction cost about $100 more than a large.
    Last edited by LezRide; 09-28-2019 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Went to the REI again and tried the large Cujo 2 I was looking at, sadly a bit to big. They showed me a new 2019(?) Cujo 1(out of my budget) in a medium, which was my size. Sadly the only other REI that has it is other side of the country, but more than likely won't be able to order it since it's not in their online system. May give them a call to see what my options are.

Related note was looking up my local CL to see what I can find in terms of Kona Units and Pine Mountains when I saw a 2014 Niner Air alloy frame in my size with bottom bracket, headset, and rear brake mount installed for $330. That's lower than the Timberjack frame price. Then for $150-200 I am seeing copy cat carbon and alloy versions of the niner fork or $275 a niner fork. If I can get it down to $300 I may just go that route.

Co Springs
    Find out which bike is too long?

Sadly a medium size PM at chainreaction cost about $100 more than a large.
    Probably meaning reach and cockpit. Saddle to handlebars is important but can be tuned in or out within reason if the bike is sized close.

As for the PM rigid, I'm thinking it can be shopped and found for the $700 range and that's well below your $1200 budget in your OP but might not be easy to find. They started discounting them a quite a while ago and might be hard to find.
    The one hanging in my garage (maybe a forest green color) is not Alivio components so maybe I missed something with a specific bike or model year you mentioned. Possibly a few were outfitted differently. I'd seen cases where a mfg ran out of a batch of something and switched. The PM has Vee tires rather than Schwalbe as on the PMO. Any of those things can be changed and upgraded later and very easily though.
    I keep it for a riding buddy at my house so it's stored next to my PMOne and aside from a few minor items, is nearly the exact bike. Of course, the PM won't have you getting the front shock you didn't want anyways. Possibly a slight weight advantage there too. Mine is SLX and the PM is one below that I think but they shift the same, brake the same performance wise- all that. I feel the PM is a $1200 bike minus the sus fork.

I'll bet you can find a lot of other good options in a rigid or h/t plus bike in the $900 range though also. You seem to have so many options and are patient with the process. That all works in your favor.
    Are you in a bike-friendly town or area? Many have good support with multiple LBS and fitting or bikes to ride and test.
    Best of luck and have fun with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Thank you for the reply. I am in Southern California so kind of? Also, a few things came up and my budget is now closer to $850. I can wait and it could be to my advantage as it's close to the holiday season. I only really have 4 models I am patiently looking for it seems like. The Timberjack, Niner ROS/Air, Unit X, & Pine Mountain as I think I can build of find those within my budget.

This is the Pine Mountain I am seeing. The owner hasn't replied to my inquiry about the device. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...958861080.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Rode my wife's bike, a Surly Ogre today and I am starting to think I may not want a fully steal bike. I felt very slugging going up a hill on a gravel trail today with light amount of smooth sand. If I go Unit or PM route I may opt for a carbon or alloy fork in the future. And TJ route I'd think the KM fork would be acceptable as the frame is lighter than the Ogre. Same with the Niner if KM fork works with it.

Co Springs
    No idea why a steel bike would feel sluggish if the norms are what I've seen on weights. Not a big difference than alu usually but I can't speak bike specifics. If the geo is a bit relaxed for your fit and size or even the wheels at 29" could be a thing ... Try an alu 27.5 sized for you and get on a few to get a feel for them. I think a good cf bike is out of the price league unless a happy accident with one pre-owned.
    Your $800 to 850 range sounds doable for a nice bike in any case, just finding the right or best one is the fun.
    That Pine Mountain you posted up is def fitted up different. Pretty sure the one in my garage is shimano brakes and deore shifters. Maybe they made up a different batch with hardware shortages. Performance Bike had some they were set up two different ways. Might have been Marin but I was thinking Diamondback. In any case, not sure the $600 if firm is much of a break. I'd keep trying and shopping.

Cycologist
    Someone is advertising a 2019 Marin Pine Mountain brand new on my Nextdoor. Thing is, it appears it has a fall over dent in the top tube, though not too bad. It was $550 and now marked down to $385. Lez, if you happen to be interested, lmk and I can send you the info. If he's willing to ship it, I could check it out for you, it's only about 6 miles from me. It's in an expensive neighborhood and he says he has 10 other bikes, so not sure how he ended up with this one. It is a medium.

Rigid plus bike options?-screen-shot-2019-09-30-8.11.12-am.png

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Someone is advertising a 2019 Marin Pine Mountain brand new on my Nextdoor. Thing is, it appears it has a fall over dent in the top tube, though not too bad. It was $550 and now marked down to $385. Lez, if you happen to be interested, lmk and I can send you the info. If he's willing to ship it, I could check it out for you, it's only about 6 miles from me. It's in an expensive neighborhood and he says he has 10 other bikes, so not sure how he ended up with this one. It is a medium.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 8.11.12 AM.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	618.5 KB 
ID:	1283075
    Stolen ? Dent from broken lock? Serial #? Proof of purchase?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    picture of the dent?

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Stolen ? Dent from broken lock? Serial #? Proof of purchase?
    picture of the dent?
    I don't really know much about it, but like I said, the seller is in a very expensive neighborhood so I doubt it's stolen. You can see what I suspect is a dent on the top tube, straight up from the pedal (click on the image and you'll get a little larger picture).

Lez, if you are interested you'll need to ask the owner, not me. I'll provide you the contact but I'm not going to contact him for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Which state is this in? Yeah I see the dent. Isn't that a structural issue with a dent?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have had a similar dent in my cross check for half a decade and I haven't had any issues with it. For $385 I'd be willing to take the (minor IMO) risk.

Bikesexual
    Which state is this in? Yeah I see the dent. Isn't that a structural issue with a dent?
    Btw Chaz is a super guy, we've ridden together, and that's an awesome offer. Just thought I mentioned that.

Heck of a deal too.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    That is tempting, but that dent has me off put.

Cycologist
    Aww shucks, jcd!

I'm in Georgia so it would be a good ways to ship. Maybe $500 all in with the shipping, or a little more? That is if the guy is willing to pack it up and ship it.

I've been tempted to buy it, but too similar to my Unit. And my next purchase will be a replacement for my full suspension. The dent would bother me but I would fill it with something and put some kind of decal over it.

Snow Dog
    Aww shucks, jcd!

I'm in Georgia so it would be a good ways to ship. Maybe $500 all in with the shipping, or a little more? That is if the guy is willing to pack it up and ship it.

I've been tempted to buy it, but too similar to my Unit. And my next purchase will be a replacement for my full suspension. The dent would bother me but I would fill it with something and put some kind of decal over it.
    I think jcd is warm for your form....

LET IT SNOW!

Wanna ride bikes?
    picture of the dent?
    For future reference, Chaz was just doing you a favor, he's not the guy selling the bike. You should just ask for the contact info of the seller and work it out with him. Chaz can't, and I'm sure has no interest in being a middle man.

Do your own leg work. Besides that the dent is clearly visible in the crappy pic.

You keep bumping irrelevant threads that are years and years old asking silly questions or expecting a miraculous sale on a NOS bike. It's wearing me down dude.

You've received a lot of good feedback over the various threads you're working, but you need to throttle your silly questions.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

poser Administrator
    Not sure if you are still looking but this is a pretty cool bike with so many attachments you'd have hard time filling them all https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-pine-mountain-1

Sure it has a suspension fork but it is a mad crazy touring style mountain bike. Be happy in the downs, fill the braze ons with gear and ride and explore.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    I think jcd is warm for your form....
    Well I am pretty darn handsome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    For future reference, Chaz was just doing you a favor, he's not the guy selling the bike. You should just ask for the contact info of the seller and work it out with him. Chaz can't, and I'm sure has no interest in being a middle man.

Do your own leg work. Besides that the dent is clearly visible in the crappy pic.

You keep bumping irrelevant threads that are years and years old asking silly questions or expecting a miraculous sale on a NOS bike. It's wearing me down dude.

You've received a lot of good feedback over the various threads you're working, but you need to throttle your silly questions.
    Sorry about that. Also, I'm a lady, not a dude.

Co Springs
    $385 for that bike would def have my attn.

If Chaz would go take a peek at it, I'd let his impressions of it's condition steer me.
    The medium in my garage can be well dialed with stem or seat rails so I don't think sizing is real chancy.
    You could sell that bike (IMO) for what you pay within a year even if you want to move to something different or more pricey.
    I wish mine was green.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Thank you for the offer, really appreciate it. But, the dent is not for me.

Cycologist
    Thank you for the offer, really appreciate it. But, the dent is not for me.
    You're welcome. I can certainly understand the desire to not have a new bike come pre-damaged.

Dang, now y'all have me thinking I should buy it again. I could fill that dent and I have a guy who will powder coat it for $75; $25 for the fork. But I've already got a road bike I need to strip down and get power coated so it would just be another project sitting around taking up space and I'm happy with the Unit SS plus my full suspension (plus a few more).

Bikesexual
    You're welcome. I can certainly understand the desire to not have a new bike come pre-damaged.

Dang, now y'all have me thinking I should buy it again. I could fill that dent and I have a guy who will powder coat it for $75; $25 for the fork. But I've already got a road bike I need to strip down and get power coated so it would just be another project sitting around taking up space and I'm happy with the Unit SS plus my full suspension (plus a few more).
    I know, ship it here....it would be your Vegas bike lol.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Co Springs
    It's a very fair price for a solid bike.
    If it was local to get w/o shipping costs, my wife would probably be yelling at me right now (in the garage).

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I asked the local who is selling that 3x pine mountain and said they got it from their lbs. On the other hand ChainReaction has a 2019 Pine Mountain with a 1x10(or was it 11) for $700. I just may go with that if I can't find one locally here as the delivery people in my neighborhood aren't the most gentle with packages(my neighbors nest camera caught ups guy throwing a box on to his door and it wasn't a light item). I may regret going steel as I wasn't the biggest fan on the weight of my wife's bike, but it's within budget. Or if I can find a Timberjack on a x-mas end of the year sale.

Found a Niner Scandium with 1x10 XTR setup for $660. Not familiar with the material and doing a search here got me mixed results as some like it others called it bad material and why Salsa stopped using it. But it looks really sweet.

Thank you all.

Co Springs
    Kona used to use scandium, not sure if they still do. I don't think remarkable issues or genuine problems go unnoticed on mtb tech. It should have been big news if it was a problematic but it's possible I was hibernating and missed the story.

Yeah, the 3x drivetrain mixes me up. Simply put , the current or even last 2 model years of Pine mtn rigid comes as 1x 10 or 11 , hydro brakes, similar spec wheels tires to the next up. Good components for the bucks. Green now and previous was silver with an orange fork. I liked the colors of both better than mine - lol.

So often, 'we' modify, customize, fix, break or upgrade and almost anyone would advise that a few nits about this or that can be easily changed out later on or Day One if ya want. These days, there's just not much that will fail or break or wear out so fast one gets remorse.

As for steel weight , think placebo. Except for extreme cases or rare bikes, I don't think a bike will be heavy, or feel heavy or sluggish based on Steel. vs alum. Steel vs cf or ti would likely be a thing.

A shiny new PM for $700 ish is still a great option. Chain Reaction has been good to deal with from my experience and others I've read of. I hope it's still an available option since choices give us better shopping power.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I know, ship it here....it would be your Vegas bike lol.
    Hmm, I actually gave that some thought. We have a truck that travels out to Vegas before the show I could put it on but unfortunately, it arrives later in the week. Then I was thinking I could ship it to a shop that builds for us out there and maybe they could store it for me. But not sure it wouldn't disappear from the warehouse. I thought about buying it to have spare wheels for my Unit plus a drivetrain but it's boost and my Unit isn't and for the money, I could get a better drivetrain. If it was a large, I would buy it for my son.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    yeah that's a pretty good price on the PM, seen a few on pinkbike in the silver and orange going for $600 in very good shape plus shipping, but not in my size(lm 5ft8 so clear medium not large). I am also the highest bidder on a green Niner ROS with 29+ tires and 1x11 setup. Shipping is a bit overpriced via usps, but maybe fed-ex would lower the cost and seller would send it that way. Only downside is one bottle mount, so I may say f*ck fashion and buy those hydration fanny packs or go Surly fork. Wish me luck!

Also if anyone is interest on one of those local selling apps there a guy selling a genuine Niner carbon fork for $150.

Snow Dog
    yeah that's a pretty good price on the PM, seen a few on pinkbike in the silver and orange going for $600 in very good shape plus shipping, but not in my size(lm 5ft8 so clear medium not large). I am also the highest bidder on a green Niner ROS with 29+ tires and 1x11 setup. Shipping is a bit overpriced via usps, but maybe fed-ex would lower the cost and seller would send it that way. Only downside is one bottle mount, so I may say f*ck fashion and buy those hydration fanny packs or go Surly fork. Wish me luck!

Also if anyone is interest on one of those local selling apps there a guy selling a genuine Niner carbon fork for $150.
    or do hydro backpack a la the Osprey Raptor etc...then you have storage for other stuff as well, and some back protection just in case...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Not sure if I missed someone mentioning it, didn't see it in my quick scan, but there's no reason whatsoever to limit your bike search to bikes that come with a rigid fork installed on them from the factory.

It's a 10-15 minute job to change forks; every plus bike on the market is an option for you.Pull the suspension fork off, slap a rigid on, done. No need to overcomplicate the shopping aspect; it's similar to saying "I want a bike with a blue seat" and limiting your choices to those that are spec'ed that way.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I already have a backpack I like, why I was thinking hydro-fanny pack. I prefer not to deal with the added maintenance of suspension fork and I like how rigid rides, just want to get a plus tire bike. My last bike that was messed with was a Cannondale hybrid bikes that come in 700x40 tires 3x9 gearing and a basic suspension fork and I missed the simplicity out of rigid fork. I just hope I don't get outbid again and the seller find a cheaper shipping options cause he's pricing it double what others are to ship or else I'd bid a higher price.

Cycologist
    I take it the seller isn't close enough to you that you could pick it up. If you are, ask the seller if you can pick up with no charge before the auction ends. Not sure how experienced you are on eBay. If it is a popular item with a number of people watching/bidding, most of the action is at the very end, like in the last minute. You can set your maximum bid and it will go in automatically if someone outbids you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Very familiar with ebay, been on it since 2003. And the seller is across the country or else id do a local pickup.

Moderator Moderator
    Please just go to a local trusted shop and you can have a new bike and good service tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I won a ROS 9 Plus on ebay so am happy to have a bike again. Now the wait.

Cycologist
    Congrats!

Snow Dog
    I won a ROS 9 Plus on ebay so am happy to have a bike again. Now the wait.
    sweet!!! Now the next step is pics when it arrives!!!

LET IT SNOW!

Co Springs
    🎉😁👍

Bikesexual
    Woohoo! Are you in SoCal?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Close to Long Beach.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Trek Stache. Can run either 29+ or 27.5+.
    Lots of chain stay adjustment for tuning the ride.
    Nice fork when you need a little cushion up front. Lock it out when you want rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by A/C in Az View Post
    Trek Stache. Can run either 29+ or 27.5+.
    Lots of chain stay adjustment for tuning the ride.
    Nice fork when you need a little cushion up front. Lock it out when you want rigid.
    You just blew the budget LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Got a PM 1 last year. Nice bike, but it has some issues. The hubs are rubbish and the rear freehub broke after a month. The rear dropouts are an annoying 141x5mm so very hard to find a replacement.
    The steel frame is nice and the front fork works ok.
    Comfy bike to ride, but a part of me really wished I bought a surly ogre 🤔.