Putting 29er Wheels on a Fuze 6Fattie- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Putting 29er Wheels on a Fuze 6Fattie

So Specialized is advertising their fuse as a 650b+ and 29er. A lot of people are going from 29er to 650b+ Who has gone the other way?

I test rode a fuze and was instantly smiling about how much of a monster truck feel it had.

I have an xc bike that I love a lot, but I don't have the space, or the understanding wife so I can only have one mountain bike.

I am seriously close to pulling the trigger on a fuse, and saying goodbye to my xc bike.

So can I buy a set of 29er wheels and have an XC ish bike, and put on the plus tires for everything else?

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by madpanda View Post
    So can I buy a set of 29er wheels and have an XC ish bike, and put on the plus tires for everything else?
    Short answer, yes. Last year I bought a Niner Jet 9 with 27.5+ wheels and later bought some lighter weight 29er hoops. I love the option of the 2 sets of hoops. Iíll use the 29er hoops on longer rides, or when thereís more climbing. Iím definitely faster going down and more confident over chunky or sandy terrain with the plus setup. I find the plus setup to be just more fun overall. The Niner is pretty good with the swap too. I had some pedal strikes early on, until I got my shock pressures right. Iím probably at 50/50 use with the 2 sets of wheels, so itís definitely working for me. Itís like having 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Short answer, yes. Last year I bought a Niner Jet 9 with 27.5+ wheels and later bought some lighter weight 29er hoops. I love the option of the 2 sets of hoops. Iíll use the 29er hoops on longer rides, or when thereís more climbing. Iím definitely faster going down and more confident over chunky or sandy terrain with the plus setup. I find the plus setup to be just more fun overall. The Niner is pretty good with the swap too. I had some pedal strikes early on, until I got my shock pressures right. Iím probably at 50/50 use with the 2 sets of wheels, so itís definitely working for me. Itís like having 2 bikes.
    I was really hoping to hear that!
    What size 29er/27.5+ combo do you have? Your bike doesn't have a chip or something you have to switch to make it work?

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I was really hoping to hear that!
    What size 29er/27.5+ combo do you have? Your bike doesn't have a chip or something you have to switch to make it work?
    I donít have a chip. The bike came with a 140mm fork instead of 130mm when ordered as a plus bike. My plus rims are Stans Barron S1, which are i35. Iím rolling 2.8ís, Maxxis Highroller II and Rekon F/R. On the 29er rims, I went with American Classic Wide Lightning, which is a i30 rim. Itís one of the lightest Al wheel sets I could find. Am Classic, since went out of business, but I love the wheels. Went with Maxxis Ardent 2.4ís on the 29er hoops. I just ordered a Rekon 29x2.6 for the front to try out. Weíll see how that goes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I bought a 6fattie Fuse a couple years ago when they didn't even sell it as a 29er. I immediately changed it to 29x2.3. If you like plus tires, it's a good bike to interchange wheels/tires for that. I've found the largest tire that will fit on the rear is a 29x2.4. I bought the Fuse because it has more of a trail geometry instead of like a XC bike.
    2017 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

livin' the dream......
    I have a Fuse and am casually shopping for 29" wheels. I like the bike in plus mode, and agree with Chinman about the plus feeling better on the downhills and sandy stuff. I still have my 29" Stumpy HT, which has old school geometry (70 degree HTA).

I have read in other threads that Fuse owners who have swapped on some 29er wheels have been very happy with the performance. You get the trail geo with the speed of 29er for cross country application.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    I bought a 6fattie Fuse a couple years ago when they didn't even sell it as a 29er. I immediately changed it to 29x2.3. If you like plus tires, it's a good bike to interchange wheels/tires for that. I've found the largest tire that will fit on the rear is a 29x2.4. I bought the Fuse because it has more of a trail geometry instead of like a XC bike.
    I was hopping to go with some tires that I am real use to, 2.1 mezcal in the rear, and a 2.2 saguaro in the front, will that make the bottom bracket too low?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I was hopping to go with some tires that I am real use to, 2.1 mezcal in the rear, and a 2.2 saguaro in the front, will that make the bottom bracket too low?
    No I'm pretty sure it will still be higher than the original 27.5 x 3.0.
    2017 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I ran my 2017 Fuse carbon with 29er wheel and specialized 2.3" tires about 75% of the time. I love the trail geometry and the 29er wheel/tire combo rolls way better than the 3" wide tires on a 27.5 wheel. A word of warning tho, the Fuse is a really really stiffly built frame so the ride with a 29er wheel and tire combo is going to be much harsher.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jbowland View Post
    I ran my 2017 Fuse carbon with 29er wheel and specialized 2.3" tires about 75% of the time. I love the trail geometry and the 29er wheel/tire combo rolls way better than the 3" wide tires on a 27.5 wheel. A word of warning tho, the Fuse is a really really stiffly built frame so the ride with a 29er wheel and tire combo is going to be much harsher.
    Thatíd be my concern. Iím going to try 2.8 tires first.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
    Thatíd be my concern. Iím going to try 2.8 tires first.
    I don't think a 2.8x29er tire will fit but I am pretty sure a 2.6 would fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I don't think a 2.8x29er tire will fit but I am pretty sure a 2.6 would fit.
    Specialized says the largest 29 that will fit is a 2.4

I'm planning on trying a 27.5 2.8 first, I like the ride overall.

livin' the dream......
    While I casually shop for 29" wheels, I have looked up some 2.8 alternatives to lighten things up a bit.

2.8" XR 4 = 945g
    2.8 XR2 = 775g

2.8 Ikon 3c/EXO =770g
    2.8 Minion DHF = 980g

2.8 Specialized Butcher = 1,060g

3.0 Ground Control (currently running) =1,000 g
    3.0 Purgatory (currently running) = 1,100 g

I have run Bontrager XR4/XR2 on my 29" HT and like that set up. Would be curious to try the XR2 Front/rear. Would be about 600g less of rotating weight.

mtbr member
    Well I probably wouks ride 29 more than a 27.5+ tires, so what frame would recommend that's 27.5+ ? I'd rather have a BB that's too high (27.5+ to 29) vs (29 to 27.5+)

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Resuscitating an old thread here - the hubs on my Fuse need overhauling and I'm considering getting a 29er wheelset. Any more feedback from Fuse owners who have tried 29" wheels? I prefer to ride in twisty trails, not doing any jumps if I can help it(!), but I do ride in some rock gardens & bumpy downhills.

If I'm going to get really beat up on the chunky downs, I might be better off sticking with 27.5+ wheels, currently running 2.8's.

If I go the 29er route, I'd like to take advantage of the Specialized BOGO tire sale so could use some recommendations on their 2.3 or 2.4 tires too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Teravail 29x2.6 29er tires

I like the Fuse better as a 29 'mid plus' than the 27.5+x3.0 setup. I set it up with 30mm interior width rims and Teravail 29x2.6 tires... it absolutely ripped (for a flatlander who likes suspension to smooth out the bumps rather than absorb landings from jumps and drops). It rolled faster and felt just as smooth with the larger wheels, the challenge was that the rear tire would rub on the frame a few times on every ride. I'm now on the lookout for a bike with similar 'trail' geometry but with wider 29er tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Actually i find the fuse to be a very compliant almost too flexy of a frame. Xxl aluminum frame under me. I also have a 2018 xxl stumpy aluminum and that frame is stiffer. I do prefer the i45 rims to the i38 on the stumpy. They seem to make the purgís bite a little better. I38 feel more like a normal tire.

Would like a set of 29ís to try myself. But would go i35 on 2.6Ē if they could fit. Xr4 maybe as ive heard the 29x2.6Ē purgs are narrow.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
    Resuscitating an old thread here - the hubs on my Fuse need overhauling and I'm considering getting a 29er wheelset. Any more feedback from Fuse owners who have tried 29" wheels? I prefer to ride in twisty trails, not doing any jumps if I can help it(!), but I do ride in some rock gardens & bumpy downhills.

If I'm going to get really beat up on the chunky downs, I might be better off sticking with 27.5+ wheels, currently running 2.8's.

If I go the 29er route, I'd like to take advantage of the Specialized BOGO tire sale so could use some recommendations on their 2.3 or 2.4 tires too.
    I tried both and I settled on 27.5 x 2.8 tires as opposed to 29. My take on it is that the 2.8 really livened it up and made it feel more like a mountain bike than a fat bike. YMMV.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    I tried both and I settled on 27.5 x 2.8 tires as opposed to 29. My take on it is that the 2.8 really livened it up and made it feel more like a mountain bike than a fat bike. YMMV.
    What tires are you running?

Downcountry AF
    Fast Trak Grid 2.8ís

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by WMBigs View Post
    What tires are you running?
    Fast Trak Grid 2.8ís

Downcountry AF
    Revisiting this and considering a 29"er wheelset setup. Really wish someone could confirm if a Specialized 2.6 would fit in the rear, as pretty much everyone complains that their 2.6 tires measure more like a 2.4...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Revisiting this and considering a 29"er wheelset setup. Really wish someone could confirm if a Specialized 2.6 would fit in the rear, as pretty much everyone complains that their 2.6 tires measure more like a 2.4...
    I'm on the lookout for a set of affordable 29ers about i30. The Ardent 2.4 is huge, I'm thinking that for the rear. I have a 2.5 DHF Minion for the front but would like to try Knobby nic or Rekon 2.6. That DHF was removed from front of Karate Monkey rigid because it felt so draggy, also too much tire for that bike, terrain and me.

This place needs an enema
    I have a buddy that runs 29 x (nominal) 2.6's on his Fuse.

Were you hoping to run a (nominal) 2.8", that's going to measure out closer to 2.6"?

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I have a buddy that runs 29 x (nominal) 2.6's on his Fuse.

Were you hoping to run a (nominal) 2.8", that's going to measure out closer to 2.6"?
    Hey Mike, no Iíd be good with a 2.6 that measures 2.4/2.5-ish...

I just donít want a 2.3 that measures far less than that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I wanna piggy back on this thread...I just got a Specialized Fuse 6fattie 2019 model. So with that exact set up I can take my 29er wheelset and throw it on without any modifications?
    '14 SC Tallboy
    '19 Specialized Fuse 6fattie

Always in the wrong gear
    #lazy sub

!remindme2days

My wife rides a 141Qr Fuze Comp. She's riding 27.5x3.0 GCs on both ends. They measure right at 3.0.

I just built a Hope SS hub+Spank Trail 345 (i31) wheel for my bike. If the tire- a 29x2.6 Rekon ever gets delivered, I'll set it up and jam it in the back of her bike to see what kind of clearance is there. My hub is 12x142, but it should give a pretty close idea what will or won't fit. If your Fuze is a boost, it probably has more room than hers.
    I also have a Terrene McFly 29x2.8 that is a short sidewall, but measures 2.7-ish I can test-fit.

I've toyed with the idea of lacing up a 29x2.4 set of wheels for her, trying to drop some inertia weight from those boat-anchor Specialized 'Stout' rims and 1100g Ground Control tires.
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I remember reading that the 2.6 Vittoria Mezcal was less than 2.6.

Always in the wrong gear

Putting 29er Wheels on a Fuze 6Fattie

Ok. Here it is:

29Ē x i30.5mm rim (Spank Trail 345)
    29x2.8 Terrene McFly (2.75 measured with tube in)
    2.45Ē tall from rim to center knobs

In the frame of a Specialized Fuze Comp with 141 QR dropouts. (Boost quick-release)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    how much weight can i expect to drop when converting my fuse with original stout wheelset and specialized tires to an aluminum wheelset with 29x2.3 fast trak tires?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    You will have a different feel with tiny rims but i would sell the bike you do not like and buy a used XC 100 mm HT, idealy carbon, no name. They are affordable and much lighter.
    You would go from 28 to 22. Your idea is a small change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epicPROboy View Post
    how much weight can i expect to drop when converting my fuse with original stout wheelset and specialized tires to an aluminum wheelset with 29x2.3 fast trak tires?
    I just did roughly that -- saved abt two pounds total. Each wheel/tire about one pound lighter. I guess rubber weighs alot!

Was surprised at how much weight saved. I didn't go for weight weenie parts. I just used 29 wheelset and tires that were semi-ok (sun ringle rims/hubs, 24mm ID) and on-sale (wtb vigilante, 2.3)

mtbr member
    I've bought my 2015 Fuse Comp 6Fattie in Sept. of 2017. After one year, I ditched the stock wheels and picked up a set of Industry 9 Backcountry 450 wheels.

They are great wheels and 45mm width really makes the 3.0" tires square and confidence inspiring. It is a great setup for monster trucking over chunky and super technical terrain.

Every once in a while, I hit a trail system that isn't chunky and technical and is much faster, flow, more cross-country single track and I've always found it hard to chase my friends that were on fast 29'er setups. I recently picked up a set of relatively inexpensive Stan's Arch 29'er wheels and set them up with 2.3" Fast Trak tires.

I'm super impressed with the feel of the 29'er setup. The bike has a much different feel. It feels so much faster. I was a little worried that I'd miss the traction of the 3" tires, but in the two rides I've done so far, it doesn't feel any different on the short punchy climbs I've hit. As I thought about it, the truth is, the contact patch is probably still the same in over all size, its just skinnier and longer on the 29'er set up vs. shorter and wider on the 27.5+ set up.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    You will have a different feel with tiny rims but i would sell the bike you do not like and buy a used XC 100 mm HT, idealy carbon, no name. They are affordable and much lighter.
    You would go from 28 to 22. Your idea is a small change.
    I have to agree with the above. I have my Fuse Comp Carbon on 29 x2.3 fast tracks and it is still pretty heavy. Although the bike is fun to ride in both plus and non plus settings, if you are looking for a light xc hard tail, the Fuse is not the lightest option. I had an aluminum Stumpjumper HT which was noticeably lighter than this bike.

I put the 27.5 plus wheels on for the first time in four months yesterday, it was a blast on my local chunky trails. You can't beat the Fuse for versatility, but its is not a FS bike and it is not an XC race bike. It does somethings well, but not particularly great at any one thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    I have to agree with the above. I have my Fuse Comp Carbon on 29 x2.3 fast tracks and it is still pretty heavy. Although the bike is fun to ride in both plus and non plus settings, if you are looking for a light xc hard tail, the Fuse is not the lightest option. I had an aluminum Stumpjumper HT which was noticeably lighter than this bike.

I put the 27.5 plus wheels on for the first time in four months yesterday, it was a blast on my local chunky trails. You can't beat the Fuse for versatility, but its is not a FS bike and it is not an XC race bike. It does somethings well, but not particularly great at any one thing.
    Some get it, they take a gun and go hunt.
    They they take a canoe and a pole to go fish.
    Here up north i had a great ride on my 21 pounds HT 120 mm this morning.
    Tomorrow i will be on my fatbike with 26x4.8 studded.
    Some want to believe the 1 bike do it all.
    Some try to make a fat light and fast,,, in their dreams.
    Just the cold slow us down but they invest $$$$$ for ???

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Some get it, they take a gun and go hunt.
    They they take a canoe and a pole to go fish.
    Here up north i had a great ride on my 21 pounds HT 120 mm this morning.
    Tomorrow i will be on my fatbike with 26x4.8 studded.
    Some want to believe the 1 bike do it all.
    Some try to make a fat light and fast,,, in their dreams.
    Just the cold slow us down but they invest $$$$$ for ???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post

Overall, I agree. The Fuse on 29'ers is not an XC bike, but I was definitely impressed by how different the bike felt swapping between the two different wheel sets. Mountain biking represents a pretty small aspect of my bicycle riding miles every year, so I don't really prioritize having an MTB that is awesome at any one aspect. If I was racing XC, I could definitely see why having an all out XC race bike would be ideal. If I was racing Enduro, I could see why having an big travel full-suspension bike would be ideal. I actually used to have an Enduro and after riding it several times, I realized that style of riding just wasn't for me.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankAddictRich View Post
    Overall, I agree. The Fuse on 29'ers is not an XC bike, but I was definitely impressed by how different the bike felt swapping between the two different wheel sets. Mountain biking represents a pretty small aspect of my bicycle riding miles every year, so I don't really prioritize having an MTB that is awesome at any one aspect. If I was racing XC, I could definitely see why having an all out XC race bike would be ideal. If I was racing Enduro, I could see why having an big travel full-suspension bike would be ideal. I actually used to have an Enduro and after riding it several times, I realized that style of riding just wasn't for me.
    My Fuse is my one and only bike, and I plan on keeping it for a few more years. I posted this in another thread, but I did an overnight 12 hour solo race about 6 weeks ago and rode the Fuse in the 29 x 2.3 mode for 106 miles. The bike felt great, and I never felt like I was on the wrong bike. Heck, they guy I was trading places with all night was on a Pivot Switchblade with 160ml fork.

I think the marketing of bikes always makes us question if we are on the 'right' bike, on the right size wheels, do we have the right frame material, etc.

I did a group ride last night with bikes ranging from a new Ibis Ripmo to a Rigid SS. We all covered the same terrain, and yes, the guy on the Rimpo rode away from everyone on the tech descents, but we all regrouped and no one was left behind. It was fun, and that is the whole point of riding for me.

I think we can all agree that Fuse feels really different depending on which wheels we run. It is great to have a versatile bike like the Fuse, and I hope no one took my above post as me crapping on this bike.