Pony Rustler or Hightower- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Pony Rustler or Hightower

I'm thinking about purchasing a second FS plus bike this year. After much research and demoing a bunch of plus bikes I've narrowed my choices down to the Pony Rustler or Hightwower.

I've had a chance to try the Hightower, but haven't had the chance to try a Pony Rustler yet...Maybe in the next few weeks.

My trails to choose from are mix of of rocky/rooty trails and some flow trails.

Which one would you choose and why?

aka bOb
    I vote Bad Habit

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I vote Bad Habit
    would that be a BH 1 or 2 sir??

Lone Wolf
    The Hightower is a bit slacker,

When I moved to a slacker bike going faster got funner~
    I got faster In all cornering conditon's, and every drop in/down hill run on every trail I have.
    Funny thing, switchbacks got really easy also
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Riding a Hightower in plus form for a while so I'm biased but it does everything well. The harder I push it, the more fun it gets. I ride in the chunky Southwest and it just eats the trails up from flowy to 5' drops. Climbs well (excels in loose chunky/ledgy technical climbs) and comfortable enough to be on the bike all day.

I've not done a proper demo of a PR but with less travel, slightly steeper HA and longer CS seems it's a different animal so boils down to if one or the other is better suited to your terrain.

mtbr member
    Ibis Mojo 3 would be my pick...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    I'm thinking about purchasing a second FS plus bike this year. After much research and demoing a bunch of plus bikes I've narrowed my choices down to the Pony Rustler or Hightwower.

I've had a chance to try the Hightower, but haven't had the chance to try a Pony Rustler yet...Maybe in the next few weeks.

I think it depends on where you live, how you ride and what your other bike is. I also considered both and went with the PR because most of my riding is more trail and less full 'enduro'. PR is great in technical stuff and also climbs really well. I have a hard time pushing it's limits on the downs but I'm sure some people could. I read that the Hightower can feel a little less snappy on long steep climbs and I've got a few of those in my neck of the woods. FWIW I also primarily ride my PR as a 29er in the drier, faster time of year.

Also, a friend of mine has a Bad Habit and though it is a fun bike the other 2 being discussed here smoke it in terms of capability, speed and overall design in my opinion though admittedly I'm not much of a Cannondale or lefty fan.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I vote Bad Habit
    Funny guy!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    I think it depends on where you live, how you ride and what your other bike is. I also considered both and went with the PR because most of my riding is more trail and less full 'enduro'.
    That's what my riding is like also.

PR is great in technical stuff and also climbs really well.
    Good to hear. My closest trail has some good climbs and switchbacks.

I read that the Hightower can feel a little less snappy on long steep climbs and I've got a few of those in my neck of the woods.
    I think I read that somewhere also during my research and is one of my concerns about the HT.

FWIW I also primarily ride my PR as a 29er in the drier, faster time of year.
    I'll end up keeping it at 27.5+

Also, a friend of mine has a Bad Habit and though it is a fun bike the other 2 being discussed here smoke it in terms of capability, speed and overall design in my opinion though admittedly I'm not much of a Cannondale or lefty fan.
    That is the bike I have now but not the lefty version. It rides OK, climbs well and gets the job done. Just looking to have a back up bike in case of a breakdown or for a friend to use/try. N+1...

mtbr member
    I think it depends on what kind of bike you are coming from. If your go to bike is a medium/long 29er the HT will feel better. If you are like me and coming for a rigid/hardtail or fatbike the PR will provide plenty of travel and feel more responsive. I've demoed both and this was my therory... lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm riding a Cannondale Bad Habit 2 and I also have a Specialized Fatboy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd go for the Hightower for the lifetime frame warranty (vs just 3/5 years on the Pony Rustler) and for the threaded bottom bracket.

Out spokin'
    Good point about the threaded BB. I considered a Salsa Pony Rustler before ordering a Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol in part because of the threaded bottom bracket.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    I'd go for the Hightower for the lifetime frame warranty (vs just 3/5 years on the Pony Rustler) and for the threaded bottom bracket.
    Good point. I hadn't thought about either of those things.

Lone Wolf
    Got a threaded BB on my Cross Bike,

On all my MTb's I've had press fit, never had a problem.
    “I seek only the Flow”,

mtbr member
    Do not forget that Yeti has a 5+ bike now. Rode the HT+ and loved it. Bought a Yeti SB5+ and it Rocks as well....Great time to buy a bike, they work really well just demo a couple and pick one.
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Good point. I hadn't thought about either of those things.
    In reality lifetime = lifetime of the frame which is how long though?

Re Yeti - beautiful bike but no water bottle mount is fail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    In reality lifetime = lifetime of the frame which is how long though?
    I tend to hang on to things for a while.

Re Yeti - beautiful bike but no water bottle mount is fail.
    Agreed. Already looked at that bike.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I know this is really petty but..: Pony Rustler! Got to be the lamest name for a bike.. although Trail Pistol is up there.. I'd rather ride a midget wrangler.. as I said petty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post
    I know this is really petty but..: Pony Rustler! Got to be the lamest name for a bike.. although Trail Pistol is up there.. I'd rather ride a midget wrangler.. as I said petty.
    not just petty; but stupid. Why does this keep coming up? Maybe in some section of the world pony rustling is code for masturbating so the juvenile "donkey toucher" comments come out.??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    not just petty; but stupid. Why does this keep coming up? Maybe in some section of the world pony rustling is code for masturbating so the juvenile "donkey toucher" comments come out.??
    I love my Pony Rustler. Salsa tried to keep the name related to the Horse Thief, as they share a frame. Hoof Beater, Dog Food, Swayback and Big Turd Plopper were all considered, but Pony Rustler won out.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The decals and bling on the PR are much more subtle than on the HT fwiw. I really liked the seat tube horseshoe tramp stamp and top tube horsethief decals but I'm probably in the minority..

Out spokin'
    Donkey Toucher FTW! Now that's funny! Not long ago I was champing at the bit to get a Pony Rustler despite it's arguably less than awesome name. I didn't care then and still don't care, as evidenced by the name of the bike I eventually did order -- "Trail Pistol" -- a name I like even less than Pony Rustler. Whatever. The name doesn't matter any more than frame color matters. All that matters is how my whip makes me feel when I'm doing my low elevation flying. See ya on the trails!

P.S. Anybody know where I can get some Donkey Toucher decals?
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    Totally stupid, I agree! pony rustler is up there with "poppy" and "playful" as descriptors.. the emasculation of shred.

Don't worry, I'm just a bored angry bastard .. and old!

mtbr member
    I get a lot of peddle strikes in 27+ mode, but with 29ers mounted at 2.6 inches wide with nobby nicks that thing climbs like a beast in huge chunk!

I think the 3" plus tires are great for loose/snowy less technical conditions. Sure takes the edge of too. I wish the Rustler had a flip chip!

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I love my Pony Rustler. Salsa tried to keep the name related to the Horse Thief, as they share a frame. Hoof Beater, Dog Food, Swayback and Big Turd Plopper were all considered, but Pony Rustler won out.
    They totally should have named it BTP....

mtbr member
    Cow poker?

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

My Ford Mustang, as all Mustangs have always with some pride been referd to as the 'Pony Car'

Never heard anyone dis that tag so whats the difference ?

Really ?
    Or Iz It the, 'If you don't ride what I ride your not cool thing'
    “I seek only the Flow”,

Digger
    Jul 2016

That is the bike I have now but not the lefty version. It rides OK, climbs well and gets the job done. Just looking to have a back up bike in case of a breakdown or for a friend to use/try. N+1...
    I did back to back with the BH and PR. The PR is sooooo much better climbing it's not even funny. The BB is higher, too.
    Salsa Pony Rustler X01