The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer

They just arrived and they kind of don't like each other.

There's gonna be some epic dance-offs commencing.

Anybody try these bikes yet?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-p1270003.jpg  

The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-p1270013.jpg  

The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-p1270014.jpg  

The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-p1270016.jpg  

The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-p1270018.jpg  

The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-p1270019.jpg  

The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-p1270020.jpg  

The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-p1270023.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am very interested in the Dragon Slayer!

Cholla magnet
    Dragonslayer you say...

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Make sure you test them with high volume 29" tires as well.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Make sure you test them with high volume 29" tires as well.
    Oh... ride them just as 29ers?? Interesting... I do have those wheelsets.

fc
    IPA will save America

Medium?
    Dibs on the Jamis for the Superbowl ride...

mtbr member
    I have barely had a chance to ride mine around the block so far, but that Fox34 on the D-slay seems pretty sweet. Assuming it's the 27.5+ model, it will also fit a 29+ and some 4" fat tires. The Jamis was the bike wanted if I was going 27.5+, but I went 29+ instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was torn between the two but settled on the Loki... Full XT 1x11, dropper post, a couple pounds lighter... OTD price was less than the MSRP on the Dragonslayer... seemed like a no-brainer.

Now, if I could just get the damn bike shop to deliver and fulfill my order that I placed 6 months ago

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrfylube View Post
    I was torn between the two but settled on the Loki... Full XT 1x11, dropper post, a couple pounds lighter... OTD price was less than the MSRP on the Dragonslayer... seemed like a no-brainer.

Now, if I could just get the damn bike shop to deliver and fulfill my order that I placed 6 months ago
    Awesome choice man. Both are dialed but the Loki requires less mods. I have one of the first media samples so they should be all coming soon.

It's really pretty darn dialed. Steep seat angle and Reverb dropper post delivers the best of both worlds.

Stem is about a 50mm and bars look like 750s. The saved money on the Deore brakes but those brakes just work. On a Plus bike, the brakes get stressed since there's so much traction.

First Look: Orbea Loki 27.5+ hardtail - Mtbr.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-p6220050.jpg  

The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-p6220064.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I had the chance to demo a Loki. To sum up my experience:
    I want one...or a Norco Torrent.
    Last edited by Dirt n Dust; 01-30-2016 at 09:25 PM.

mtbr member
    I am so tempted by one of these......
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    I'm with out a bike and will gladly take the one you don't want off your hands and be completely grateful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Both are dialed but the Loki requires less mods.
    I've been keeping my eye out for steel "plus" mountain bikes, and just saw the Dragonslayer for the first time at Sea Otter. (I haven't seen any locally, in Santa Cruz.)

Just out of curiosity, what would you modify or change? (One of the things that struck me was how few changes I would feel compelled to make).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I bought a Dragonslayer Sport late last year, and the only significant changes I made was a tubeless conversion using Orange Seal, and also a Fox FIT4 27.5+ fork (got a fair price on it, worth every penny compared to the RS Recon). Great bike, excellent frame feel.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    I've been keeping my eye out for steel "plus" mountain bikes, and just saw the Dragonslayer for the first time at Sea Otter. (I haven't seen any locally, in Santa Cruz.)

Just out of curiosity, what would you modify or change? (One of the things that struck me was how few changes I would feel compelled to make).
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I bought a Dragonslayer Sport late last year, and the only significant changes I made was a tubeless conversion using Orange Seal, and also a Fox FIT4 27.5+ fork (got a fair price on it, worth every penny compared to the RS Recon). Great bike, excellent frame feel.
    I parking lot tested a DragonSlayer sport. I thought it was set up just fine from the factory. Tubeless would be the only change, along with maybe some grips. I probably couldn't tell the diff. b/ forks, but I did think the pro model was worth every penny with the Fox fork and dropper post.
    I liked the bike. It handled pretty easily and manualled nicely. I thought the large was too small (I'm 6'-3" and have ridden 19-20" frames forever). But the big tires still felt like they're sapping my energy. It wasn't enough to get me to abandon my 29er with 2.4/2.5" tires.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I parking lot tested a DragonSlayer sport. I thought it was set up just fine from the factory. Tubeless would be the only change, along with maybe some grips. I probably couldn't tell the diff. b/ forks, but I did think the pro model was worth every penny with the Fox fork and dropper post.
    I liked the bike. It handled pretty easily and manualled nicely. I thought the large was too small (I'm 6'-3" and have ridden 19-20" frames forever). But the big tires still felt like they're sapping my energy. It wasn't enough to get me to abandon my 29er with 2.4/2.5" tires.

-F
    To me, this is the cool thing about a 27.5+ bike; if I don't like the plus wheels, I can still run a 29x2.4 (or maybe even a 29x2.6?).
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Hi Everyone!
    Somebody weighed the stock wheels from Loki (H30) - or separately the hubs and rims?

I weighed after the tubeless conversion - - and it turned out 2.6 kg front wheel and 3.2 back. As for me - too much, and I thinking that to change - rims, hubs, tyres or just everything?

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

I would shy away from the Orbea simply because they felt the need to add that extra angled frame brace/support under the saddle on top of the top tube for what reason other than to add needed stiffness/support In a critical area ?

So, the frame was not strong enough with out that ?
    Ok OKAY I know that made no sense at all, But that's my first Impression so I wanted to express that first look observation.

The Dragonslayer Frame looks all business, tough as hell, clean classic bike lines, lean and mean. Looks like they added extra chassis/frame stiffness where It could actually enhance the ride, at the back end.....

I'm riding a 2017 Scott Scale 720 Plus bike and cannot Imagine better, even after riding the better next level up 710 model that cost $700 more.

My bike did not need extra frame bracing,, Just sayin~~~~~

These plus hardtails as a breed, have greatly enhanced my rides like no other bike I've been on, ever, but I am no expert, only 6 years In the woods,
    done with full suspension, Very happily back on a hard tail because of the plus tires..

They are truly efficient hard tails without the old school hard tail harshness :P
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    I would shy away from the Orbea simply because they felt the need to add that extra angled frame brace/support under the saddle on top of the top tube for what reason other than to add needed stiffness/support In a critical area ?

So, the frame was not strong enough with out that ?
    Ok OKAY I know that made no sense at all, But that's my first Impression so I wanted to express that first look observation.

The Dragonslayer Frame looks all business, tough as hell, clean classic bike lines, lean and mean. Looks like they added extra chassis/frame stiffness where It could actually enhance the ride, at the back end.....

I'm riding a 2017 Scott Scale 720 Plus bike and cannot Imagine better, even after riding the better next level up 710 model that cost $700 more.

My bike did not need extra frame bracing,, Just sayin~~~~~

These plus hardtails as a breed, have greatly enhanced my rides like no other bike I've been on, ever, but I am no expert, only 6 years In the woods,
    done with full suspension, Very happily back on a hard tail because of the plus tires..

They are truly efficient hard tails without the old school hard tail harshness :P

A seat tube/top tube brace is a good thing. I'm really hating the modern seat mast setup that people use these days. Ugly IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I know it's just personal taste, but the seat mast vs braced or curved TT is ugly to me. The older top fuel started the trend and I've always disliked it.

Not my cup of tea
    The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-img_5256.jpg

Beautiful machine
    The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-specialized-enduro-fsr-comp-2013-mountain-bike-ev175469-9999-1.jpg

Hoist up a flag
    The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-konaprocess111-22-2000x1332.jpg

Beautiful machine
    The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-pivot-mach-429-trail-review-cb-15-1140x760.jpg

Trek got it wrong within the same bike on carbon vs aluminum

Meh
    The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-2017-trek-stache-96-carbon-hardtail-mountain-bike.jpg

Pretty
    The Orbea Loki and the Jamis Dragonslayer-cxbfrs_img_0808.jpg

And this day and age with all that we know...(don't get me wrong, I love Jamis and still ride one)... But who the crap makes a hardtail that doesn't have a dropped/curved top tube to give you more standover??
    Name:  2016-jamis-dragonslayer-mountain-bike-21in-xl-27-5-steel-shimano-slx-deore-xt-47ed22e156623c9a4e.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  27.3 KB

No sense whatsoever when you can rifle the top tube and give yourself another inch or two.
    Last edited by chelboed; 11-22-2017 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Chelboad, I don't need more stand over, I need more space in the frame for packing. The Dragonslayer was made as a bikepacking machine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerdog View Post
    Chelboad, I don't need more stand over, I need more space in the frame for packing. The Dragonslayer was made as a bikepacking machine.
    That's an excellent point. What an incredibly important point of view to share. I hadn't thought of that and completely see how the D-Slay would rule for that! Excellent choice for you then indeed!

Pinehurst NC
    Why are we packing, or considering packing characteristics on a 130mm 27.5 trail hardtail? The low frames are designed for very low dropper placement so you can get into the gnar, not to camp. No offense intended at all, but I once complained about my lack of rack mounting options on my 1973 Porsche 911, and I remembered that wasn't what the car was designed for in the first place....
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I may have the opportunity to get a demo 2017 Loki H10. Its the one with the Fox Performance Float Fork and XT rear Der with the Sunrace 11-46 cassette. Going this route i'd get a barely used bike for a really good deal. I'd have enough to switch out the manual dropper post for a KS Lev post and still be on top

I'm also looking at the 2018 Jamis Dragonslayer Pro 27.5+ as it will be coming with GX Eagle 1x12. I need to ride it a few more times to see how it rides.

Jon