Norco Torrent- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Very.

I was considering the C-dale Beast O' East, but we have a local Norco dealer, too.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Notice the fork: RS Yari Plus.......more choices every day

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Notice the fork: RS Yari Plus.......more choices every day
    I think there are two versions of the Yari(lockout and no lockout)

If so, I wonder which one this is.

Live Free & Ride
    2016....the year of the hardtail trail plus bike! This is the headed in the right direction now!
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    2016....the year of the hardtail trail plus bike! This is the headed in the right direction now!
    Speaking of 2016, I heard from a dealer that the Torrent will be available in Jan. of 16'

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokee300 View Post
    Speaking of 2016, I heard from a dealer that the Torrent will be available in Jan. of 16'
    Nice! Think they will have it as a frame only option at some point?
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member

Norco 7.2

After months of shopping I finally pulled the trigger on a Large Norco Torrent 7.2.

It's the bike that offered the most value ($2K Cdn taxes in) in a market where prices are sky rocketing alarmingly, especially for us Canadians.

At 5'9" (on a good day), I've always been a Medium 23.75-24" ETT kind of guy with 90'ish mm stem, but with the 55mm OEM stem I decided to try a size up and it fit perfect!

Norco Torrent-profile.jpg

It's the first MTB I've purchased in 5-6 years, the Scott Scale 29er (first year it came out) was a very worthy stead - IMO paving the way of current generation HTs with slack 69.5 HT (IIRC), and short'ish chainstays (~44cm).

This time around I wanted something which mixed the 29er diameter with volume closer to a Fatbike tire (regret selling my Al 907). The Torrent in my short pre-purchase ride has delivered just that. The verified 42.5cm chainstays make for a very playful ride and easy to loft the front if wanted.

Norco Torrent-weight.jpg

Many of my bling parts will be swapped over from my Scott (XO shifters/der, XG cassette, P6 hiflex post, Vector 12D bars, Formula RX brakes) which along with tubeless conversion should trim some of the weight off the 29lbs girth - which she hid quite well BTW.

Norco Torrent-schwalbe-3.00-width.jpg

LOTS of clearance for possible a future 3.25" tire, although I'm a huge Schwalbe fan, the 3.00 coming in at 2 7/8" (72mm) on the Alex MD40 rims.

Norco Torrent-clearance_chainstay.jpgNorco Torrent-clearance_fork.jpgNorco Torrent-clearance_seatstay.jpg
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

WNC Native
    Looks good! Report back on your thoughts after more ride time. I have my eye on one of these as well.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    A quick update while today's ride is still fresh in my mind.

Norco Torrent-kl_2.jpg

I swapped the tires to tubeless, and setup them up at 10f & 12r. That number could go down 1 PSI. I'm about 220lbs fully kitted but ride pretty light. Fork was set to about 95psi, will try 90psi next ride.

Everything I've read about 27.5+ is true. The tires are very sensitive to pressure, 1psi can make a substantial difference. There's gobs of traction, off camber grip was ridiculous. The bike holds a line so well, I was plowing through stuff that would have had my 29er ping-pong left & right. I was riding wet and icy rocks with similar confidence to my 29er on a warm summer day. Amazing.

There's been quite a bit of grief out there about this new standard but it really does fill a niche:

• Dual rig for summer and winter on older snow/hard pack trails
    • A bike to build confidence, either for a newbie or an experienced rider looking to ride tech stuff in slippery conditions
    • Older experienced riders looking to continue to ride gnar, but are MUCH more conscientious about self preservation & injury.
    • Rider looking to have fun (!) irrespective of pace. No interest in PBs, Stava records, or crushing buddies on a weekly group ride.

I would check all of those as my goals when I was shopping for this bike.

I would like to think I was the first Torrent riding Kanata Lakes but there was a clip posted earlier this summer (https://instagram.com/p/7vjI1KoZy3/) in the exact spot as my pic below .

Norco Torrent-kl_5.jpg

I did have one minor issue, the tubeless conversion which seemed to go easy enough at home didn't fare as well on the trail. I was getting sealant leaking through the rim's seam which would seal but then reopen when my ride resumed.

Norco Torrent-tublessleakseam.jpg

I've since re-taped with proper tubeless tape and am confident the issue will be rectified.

Besides that, I'm very impressed with bike as a package. The fit is perfect, the BB height (which I was worried might be too high) is also perfect - I was actually surprised to tap the pedal a few times. This is a big machine but the weight and wheelbase was well hidden on the trail. The front lofts sooo easy with the 425mm chainstays.

This is my first Norco and having ridden MTBs for nearly two decades I'm somewhat ashamed to say it's my first local/Canadian brand.

Norco Torrent-maple_leaf_3.jpg

mtbr member

Considering a 7.2

Fritzman, that Torrent 7.2 looks super nice and sounds like it can handle some technical riding. I'm really considering getting one - the CAD $2k price would be right at my budget limit. I have a Giant Talon 27.5 and it's decent for riding gravel trails and atv trails etc, but riding on any kind of technical singletrack is sketchy, especially on descents. I'm looking for a more burly, do it all hardtail that I can take out to the local trail network and really ride technical stuff more aggressively. I live in New Brunswick so the trails are typical east coast - up and down, tight, twisty, rooty and rocky (emphasis on the roots), wet and muddy, especially the first half of the season. I've never ridden a Norco and I like the idea of riding a Canadian brand bike.
    Last edited by bp138; 11-29-2015 at 06:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bp138 View Post
    .. I'm looking for a more burly, do it all hardtail where I can take it out to the local trail network and really ride technical stuff more aggressively. I live in New Brunswick so the trails are typical east coast - up and down, tight, twisty, rooty and rocky (emphasis on the roots), wet and muddy, especially the first half of the season. .
    Sounds very similar to our region, very east-cost, almost trials'y riding. Because of our trails I only use a HT for better response on step-ups etc.. The only NB riding I've done was some small trails around Saint Andrews but it was pretty tame stuff.

I put another ride on the Torrent today. There is a section of trail which I have only cleared a few times (in 10+ years of trying). I haven't ridden that part in over 4 months, and on this bike in wet and icy conditions... I cleared it. To say this bike, or this tire size, has made me fall in love with MTBing again is an understatement.

It's not just the climbing that insane, the descending can plow through some serious shit, like wow... 6" rocks just disappear (fork at 90psi now). No more picking clean lines.

The funny thing is that the Torrent 7.2 tires are merely Schwalbe's Nobby Nic 'Performance' line. Grabbing a set of their Trailstar compound will offer even more grip LOL.

As good as the bike is there is room for improvement. I'd love a little more sweep in the bars and the Novatech hub has what feels like only 2 pawls - sooo much rotation before engagement. The good news is that can be improved as time goes on.

I say if you can, give one a test ride... you only live once so may as well enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fritZman View Post
    I put another ride on the Torrent today. There is a section of trail which I have only cleared a few times (in 10+ years of trying). I haven't ridden that part in over 4 months, and on this bike in wet and icy conditions... I cleared it. To say this bike, or this tire size, has made me fall in love with MTBing again is an understatement.

It's not just the climbing that insane, the descending can plow through some serious shit, like wow... 6" rocks just disappear (fork at 90psi now). No more picking clean lines.
    This sounds awesome...really what I'm looking for. I will definitely be checking this bike out. Dirt Rag is doing a review on the 7.1 and sounds like their thoughts are similar to yours.

First Impressions: Norco Torrent 7 Plus

Does the 7.2 have internal dropper routing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice bike. Norco makes some of the best bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bp138 View Post
    ...Does the 7.2 have internal dropper routing?
    Looks like it. There's an access 'port' on the seat tube which is unused. Also the underside of the downtube has room to fasten a second cable run up to the bars.

Norco Torrent-dropper.jpg

Edit: Confirmed the 7.2 is dropper routing compatible as per the pic in the DirtRag article.

Name:  Norco_Torrent-web-8-310x207.jpg
Views: 9813
Size:  22.4 KB

I've never tried a dropper post and frankly never had an issue getting behind the saddle. Regardless, given the nature of this bike I would have considered trying one had I not already had a proper size Syntace P6 Hiflex post which does an awesome job flexing out any spikes that happen to (rarely) travel up through the fat rear tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Older experienced riders looking to continue to ride gnar, but are MUCH more conscientious about self preservation & injury.
    I would think that any bike that would help any rider avoid injury is a good thing!!!

Does your Torrent 7.2 come with a 1x10 drivetrain with just an 11-36t cassette? Do you think you could just drop in a Sunrace 10-speed wide range cassette without changing anything else? Seems odd that Norco would spec their entry level $1800 bike with the old cassette, when Marin can stick the wide range cassette on their $1200 (but rigid) bike. Apart from that the Norco spec looks nice.

Moderator Moderator
    Looks awesome, I've been thinking long and hard about this bike. Where did you pick it up? No dealers around me are carrying this bike, such a shame.

mtbr member
    The bike was picked up at Full Cycle in Ottawa Full Cycle | Ottawa's Premiere Bike Store - est'd 1994 - originator of the Instagram clip posted earlier this summer and tread. Great shop.

For me 11-36 is an acceptable range - given the front ring is properly sized, which for my area is. Norco spec'ing a 28t direct-bolt RaceFace Narrow-Wide is a nice move IMO. Besides that, I really didn't care what drivetrain was offered as I wanted to move my XO 10sp grip shift/derailleur and XG cassette. I will probably move to XD 11 speed GX twist grip setup for 2017 season - likely with a new rear hub that offers more points of engagement over the OEM Novatec.

Norco Torrent-xo_derailleur.jpg

The OEM Shimano derailleur came with one of those offset hangers to increase the range so it may be possible to swap in a 42t.

Norco Torrent-oem_derailleur.jpg

As for my build, the final swap-in parts have been ordered and will be installed after Christmas, SRAM Guide RSC and Easton Haven 35 carbon low-rise.

Moderator Moderator
    fritZ, is the photo with the bike weight you posted completely stock or was it with the tubeless conversion? What are your impressions of the SR fork?

mtbr member
    29lbs was stock Large complete with tubes and pedals.

I'm down to about 27.7lbs now with eggbeaters, bottle cage and other bits.

Honestly, because of the cush in the 27.5+ tires I originally shopped long and hard for a fully rigid 27.5+, so suspension fork was of little concern to me. I'm not opposed to suspension fork, my Scott Scale 29er has a PUSH tuned Reba with xloc and DT Swiss 9mm thru-bolt RWS skewer. I just thought that suspension with such large tires was a bit overkill.

Having said that, given the speed the Torrent encourages on descents (easily it's best trait IMO), I'm glad I've got a squishy fork - and a surprisingly decent one at that. I'm getting about 110mm travel at 90psi leaving 10mm for heavy hits. I wouldn't go any softer up front as it's starting to dive a bit. Rebound adjustment works well and the incremental compression lockout is quite good as well. It's got a beefy crown and a funky thru-axle which uses a self expanding flare bit to lockup against the dropout, it's a little weird at first but easy to use once it's operation is understood. I'm perfectly happy with the fork and it will likely stay as a permanent fixture along with the frame.

Norco Torrent-front-axle.jpg

Given the fall-like weather, I've had a few more rides on the bike since the last posting. I'm starting to get a really good feel for it - and learning more about it and this tire standard.

Norco Torrent-kl_typical_climb.jpg

First surprise is that riding this thing to it's potential takes quite a bit of energy, noticeably more than my 29er. The bike's got oodles of grip but it requires quite a bit more torque from the legs to leverage those strengths - scaling straight up stuff I would have zig-zagged or chosen an easier line in the past. Riding a bigger machine harder and faster means that I'm also feeling it a lot in the arms and core - a total body workout.

The bike let you run sooo many more lines while descending that it doesn't take long for the brain to get lazy and want to move past sections which I used to have to really focus on. I'm subconsciously running lines now that would be almost dangerous on my 29er - and I still don't feel I'm anywhere it's limit. I image those who will be swapping back & forth between rides will have to pay attention...

I was annoyed on parts of today's ride as I spun out on a few tech climbs - but I caught myself when I realized that the tires were wet & cold and I was trying stuff I used to *only* ride when warm & dry. It doesn't take long for the brain to accept new standards. You really can ride 95% of the year on this. Heavy snow and freezing rain are the two limiters IMO.

Using an Accu gage, ideal tire pressure for me is 9-9.5psi front and 10.5-11psi rear in slow tech riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    this thing looks really sick, has almost the same geometry as the fuse (which I liked) but not the creaking noise box, AKA, press fit bottom bracket, and a lot cheaper with a better fork.
    now to find a dealer in the area...

mtbr member
    I agree man, the Torrent looks so awesome and it sounds like it's the plus hardtail with the best value right now (at least in Canada). I've already been talking to a local Norco dealer about it...really want this bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Fritzman, if you haven't gone tubeless yet, do so, as with the plus tires, it saves you about a pound and a half.

That Torrent looks awesome. If I were 10 years younger, I would probably have gone with it over the FSR 6Fattie. That could be the ideal slow technical riding setup.

I totally agree about how the plus setup responds to speed. I'm probably one cog too weak to get the most of it.

Stucco Bucket
    Looks like it. There's an access 'port' on the seat tube which is unused. Also the underside of the downtube has room to fasten a second cable run up to the bars.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dropper.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	1032830

Edit: Confirmed the 7.2 is dropper routing compatible as per the pic in the DirtRag article.

Name:  Norco_Torrent-web-8-310x207.jpg
Views: 9813
Size:  22.4 KB

I've never tried a dropper post and frankly never had an issue getting behind the saddle. Regardless, given the nature of this bike I would have considered trying one had I not already had a proper size Syntace P6 Hiflex post which does an awesome job flexing out any spikes that happen to (rarely) travel up through the fat rear tire.
    The dropper post is one of the best things to come to MTB in the last 15 years.

Moderator Moderator
    I just picked up my new 7.2

Fritz... can you elaborate on your tubeless setup? Thinking of doing it for mine.

Sent from my HTC Desire 320 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phride View Post
    Fritzman, if you haven't gone tubeless yet, do so, as with the plus tires, it saves you about a pound and a half...
    Tubeless was (and always is) the first mod to my bikes, be it MTB, CX (Compass Bon Jon Pass), or Road (Schwalbe One).

In the case of the Torrent, I only saved about .35 of a pound, or 160grams total for F&R. The OEM tubes were ~200 gr which were offset by 2 scoops of Stan's (60gr x 2 per wheel).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    The dropper post is one of the best things to come to MTB in the last 15 years.
    Not that I disagree, but I think there's terrain requirements and rider dimensions that need to be in place before a dropper post is of value.

I ride relatively flat terrain where the longest 'decent' would last 15 seconds (at best). For me having to sit on a post to press it down is more of a hassle than my long'ish legs require to simply slide off the back - AND I still get a nice flexing seatpost for 95% of the rest of the trail which is relatively level.

I can see for descents that are longer than ~30 seconds where a dropper post could be of value - but even there you loose the benefit of a softer hardtail from a flexing seatpost.

I'll seriously entertain a dropper post when:
    1) There is some kind of elastometer (~1cm) in place to offer some cush when extended - bonus for us aging HT riders (I'm 44 phride ).
    2) The post can drop w/o the rider's weight
    3) For the asking purchase price (!), reliability is good for several years (including cold temps for us Canadian who rider 11.5 months of the year).
    4) There's no 1lbs weight penalty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    I just picked up my new 7.2

Fritz... can you elaborate on your tubeless setup? Thinking of doing it for mine.

Sent from my HTC Desire 320 using Tapatalk
    Very cool Mr. Bric! But as a moderator you surely must know the online rule - Pics or it didn't happen.

To answer your question, I pulled the OEM red tape/liner and used Velocity tubeless tape (seems similar to Stans but blue - free so I had to try). Prior to the tubeless tape I also added a piece of wider packing tape just at the seam to get a better bead-to-bead seal.

I used two scoops of Stan's sealant per tire and a small compressor with Schrader to presta adaptor to easily inflate and seal. Beads will pop nicely when in place ~25psi.

She still wept a bit on the first ride after the 'improved taping' but pressures have since stabilized on the next couple of rides.

Moderator Moderator
    Very cool Mr. Bric! But as a moderator you surely must know the online rule - Pics or it didn't happen.

To answer your question, I pulled the OEM red tape/liner and used Velocity tubeless tape (seems similar to Stans but blue - free so I had to try). Prior to the tubeless tape I also added a piece of wider packing tape just at the seam to get a better bead-to-bead seal.

I used two scoops of Stan's sealant per tire and a small compressor with Schrader to presta adaptor to easily inflate and seal. Beads will pop nicely when in place ~25psi.

She still wept a bit on the first ride after the 'improved taping' but pressures have since stabilized on the next couple of rides.
    Thanks for the info, I'll likely do a tubeless setup soon on mine. Pics are on the way.... I'm taking her out for the maiden voyage this afternoon after work. Can't wait.

Moderator Moderator
    Took her out for a few hours today. What a bike, totally awesome. More pics and such to come later.

JVX
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015

This is my first Norco and having ridden MTBs for nearly two decades I'm somewhat ashamed to say it's my first local/Canadian brand.

Name:	Maple_Leaf_3.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	1032037
    Same here, at least in recent years. My Norco Desert Rat was back in the 80s, hahaha.

But seriously, how did you manage to get it two weeks back? Mine (that I pre-ordered in September) just arrived at Joe Mamma Cycles two days ago. Unfortunately, looks like the weather is turning south again, so all I can do is dream of next spring.

Any ways, where are those pictures from? Kanata? I'm new to Ottawa (as of last year) and all any one mentions to me is Gatineau Park. But it doesn't sound like anything I'm used to out west (Vancouver). Any good trails you'd recommend?

Also, asides from going tubeless (which I likely won't do), any ideas on how to shed more weight? I'm eyeing up the stem, bars, cranks, and pedals. All a little hefty and oversized in my opinion. It's still lighter than my 03 Kona Roast that someone jacked this past summer, but after having played around on a Norco Rampage and considering building one up, I'd like to build my torrent down in terms of weight to get closer to the Rampage.

Also...if any one see's a Roast whipping around a park, please check the serial numbers for me! I really want that bike back (T~T)

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Why would you not go tubeless? Lower pressures, better traction, fewer flat tires, lower weight. What's the downside?

JVX
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Why would you not go tubeless? Lower pressures, better traction, fewer flat tires, lower weight. What's the downside?
    Well, the terrain I like to ride in often includes shale & other sharp objects (such as cacti), so way easier to fix/replace a tube than fix/replace gouges or slices in a tire.

Also, how many flats have you had? I've only had 2 that I recall: one a gouge & another cactus needles). So it's hard to justify the cost/labour.

But maybe I'm just old skool & like to get free pints off people at Whistler or in Moab for fixing their pinch flats on the trail XD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JVX View Post
    ... how did you manage to get it two weeks back? ...
    It appears as though Full Cycle has a strong relationship with Norco. They posted a clip of riding a demo/prototype in Kanata back in the summer. I was told not many were available at the time I picked up mine. Joe Mamma is a good shop, as is Phat Moose (my fav).

... ...looks like the weather is turning south again, so all I can do is dream of next spring.
    That's the best part about these + bikes, they don't need to stop when the weather turns. Short of freezing rain or 5+ cm of fresh snow they can go through pretty much anything.

... Any ways, where are those pictures from? Kanata? I'm new to Ottawa (as of last year) and all any one mentions to me is Gatineau Park. But it doesn't sound like anything I'm used to out west (Vancouver). Any good trails you'd recommend?
    Yes, the pictures are from Kanata Lakes, Outback and Ridgetop to be exact. There's a few options in our area, check out OMBA's maps link: Ottawa Mountain Bike Association | Maps Kanata Lakes (aka South March Highlands) is good but different than out West with very slow average speed and technical steps ups etc.. Mont Ste Marie is also very good with inspiration (read: builders) from the Vancouver area. Brockville has a couple of good trails if you know where to look (or who to ask) - their stuff is even tougher than Kanata Lakes.

... Also, asides from going tubeless (which I likely won't do)
    I would recommend you really take the effort to try tubeless. You can drop the pressure (a win in pretty much any category of MTBing - traction and comfort), pretty much eliminate pinch flats, and decrease rolling resistance. Every one of my bikes (road/CX/MTBs) are tubeless.

mtbr member
    Looks awesome! Wish I had a Norco dealer close to me!
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Well, the terrain I like to ride in often includes shale & other sharp objects (such as cacti), so way easier to fix/replace a tube than fix/replace gouges or slices in a tire.

Also, how many flats have you had? I've only had 2 that I recall: one a gouge & another cactus needles). So it's hard to justify the cost/labour.

But maybe I'm just old skool & like to get free pints off people at Whistler or in Moab for fixing their pinch flats on the trail XD
    I couldn't count the number of flats I had before I went tubeless, certainly closer to 100 than 2, but none since I went tubeless. If you lower your tire pressure to where it gives optional performance, you're going to be subject to pinch flats unless you run tubeless, and with the sealant inside, you are protected against punctures. You'll also save a half pound or more if rotational weight. It's the cheapest significant upgrade you can do on that bike. If you bought the bike at a local shop, they should do it for you.

JVX
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I would recommend you really take the effort to try tubeless. You can drop the pressure (a win in pretty much any category of MTBing - traction and comfort), pretty much eliminate pinch flats, and decrease rolling resistance. Every one of my bikes (road/CX/MTBs) are tubeless.
    Well, after going in to chop my seat post by 3 inches & pick up some Easton bars to shave off 2 inches in handlebar width, I chatted with one of the guys at the shop about going tubeless. I might be convinced, although I think I'd still pack a spare tube & pump just in case. But sounds like I could shave a noticeable amount of weight that way.

Any idea what your before & after weight difference was? My M frame weighed in at 29.2lbs after the post chop (before swapping bars - which likely won't trim any). If I can get it just below 28, I'd be stoked. Still eying up at least the pedals, if not the cranks as well.

No trails in the Glebe, but some of the long stairwells at TD Place were still unchained. Rode down a few flights smoothly, took three foot drops onto asphalt like a dream, & popped up onto the foot & a half high garden boxes with nary a hiccup. Still feel the need a log-blocker on the front cog as I like to to ride urban assault style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Well, after going in to chop my seat post by 3 inches & pick up some Easton bars to shave off 2 inches in handlebar width, I chatted with one of the guys at the shop about going tubeless. I might be convinced, although I think I'd still pack a spare tube & pump just in case. But sounds like I could shave a noticeable amount of weight that way.

Any idea what your before & after weight difference was? My M frame weighed in at 29.2lbs after the post chop (before swapping bars - which likely won't trim any). If I can get it just below 28, I'd be stoked. Still eying up at least the pedals, if not the cranks as well.

From a week ago in this thread...

In the case of the Torrent, I only saved about .35 of a pound, or 160grams total for F&R. The OEM tubes were ~200 gr which were offset by 2 scoops of Stan's (60gr x 2 per wheel).
    It's much less than I saved on my 6Fattie, but the Torrent clearly has lighter tubes. I do carry a spare tube in my pack, just not the heavy one that came with the bike. Still, any weight that you can remove from the outside edge of your wheels counts double or more in terms of work savings.

mtbr member
    Regardless if I'm running tubeless or not I always bring a spare tube and pump.

My Large is down to 27.7lbs with Eggbeaters, Syntace P6 Hiflex post, XO 10sp grip shifter and derailleur, WTB Rocket CroMo rail saddle, and all .3lbs savings from tubeless. I cut 1cm off the stock bars for a short-term fix.

I do have Easton Haven carbon low rise bars and 50mm stem coming in which should help. Also I've ordered SRAM Guides RSC brakes which may add or remove further weight.

Next area for weight savings AND performance would be carbon rims IMO.

Moderator Moderator
    Regardless if I'm running tubeless or not I always bring a spare tube and pump.

My Large is down to 27.7lbs with Eggbeaters, Syntace P6 Hiflex post, XO 10sp grip shifter and derailleur, WTB Rocket CroMo rail saddle, and all .3lbs savings from tubeless. I cut 1cm off the stock bars for a short-term fix.

I do have Easton Haven carbon low rise bars and 50mm stem coming in which should help. Also I've ordered SRAM Guides RSC brakes which may add or remove further weight.

Next area for weight savings AND performance would be carbon rims IMO.
    Sounds like you're going all out..... nice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Nice. Some 741s, Roval i38s, or the like would be awesome on that bike. I gotta ask though: Eggbeaters on a fat tire trail bike?
    Last edited by phride; 12-20-2015 at 03:42 PM.

mtbr member
    ... I gotta ask though: Eggbeaters on a fat tire trail bike?
    I'm curious - as opposed to what other option? Candy/Mallet?

I've only ridden Eggbeaters with stiff carbon sole XC shoes (Specialized) and have never understood the need for a more platform-wrapped pedal, perhaps for those with softer all-mountain shoes/soles?

In the winter I do flip to regular flat pedals with warmer boots.

The good thing with many of my new ordered parts is that I can re-use the Torrent's parts (Brakes, shifters, bar/stem) on my boys bikes which need replacements anyways (they're damn hard on equipment). Better to purchase replacements for my bike than theirs.

Carbon hoops won't be for another year - I'll wait until this drivetrain is done before I grab an XD-equipped hub (one with MANY more points of engagement) to build with the new rims.

Unfortunately I've been off the bike for a week, and it looks like quite a few more. I have an 'involuntary dismount' and managed to smash my thigh hard enough into the bars enroute to mother earth that I've bruised femur including some periosteal lifting as a result of the trama. It was a stupid mishap on an easy trail, pedal strike on a small stump in a corner stopped the bike dead. That's the thing with these plus bikes, they allow you to carry more speed but when things go wrong physics bites back harder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm curious - as opposed to what other option? Candy/Mallet?

I've only ridden Eggbeaters with stiff carbon sole XC shoes (Specialized) and have never understood the need for a more platform-wrapped pedal, perhaps for those with softer all-mountain shoes/soles?

In the winter I do flip to regular flat pedals with warmer boots.
    I just think of Eggbeaters as the least reliable of pedals, probe to pre-releasing and least functional if you are unclipped in them. Granted, I haven't ridden them since they first came out. Crack Bros. gave a bunch to my team. I gave it a go during training, but I couldn't get rid of them quick enough. I rode 747s for 17 years after that, but when I finally picked up a proper FS trail bike this year, I made the switch to flats.

High POE carbon wheels sound like just the ticket. That bike will be an amazing climber. Rest up and get back after it.

mtbr member

Norco Torrent 7.1

Just brought home my 7.1. Changed out the seatpost for 150mm Reverb. I'll post up ride impressions once I get the chance. Should be tomorrow.Norco Torrent-20160112_212947.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper. View Post
    Just brought home my 7.1. Changed out the seatpost for 150mm Reverb. I'll post up ride impressions once I get the chance. Should be tomorrow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160112_212947.jpg 
Views:	2269 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	1042320
    Oh, and tubeless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How big of a tire can you fit on the torrent? I was gonna go with torrent but there is no norco dealers in my area. I ordered a guerrilla gravity pedalhead instead. Custom USA made steel gnar hardtail. Waiting on frame to be built.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    NICE - I saw this in the box in my size at the local Golden shop. Got to pedal the 7.2 around and the Sasquatch 6.2... both seem like they'd be great fun (for their given purposes) butI think these Torrents are gonna be an absolute riot and more-so when no snow!! Looking fwd to your ride report - and how you think the b+ tires currently avail will work in winter vs fat bike... I also found it quite funny how skinny a minion 2.3 looked on a Norco Range next to the NN 3.0 on the Torrent

mtbr member
    Rode about 10 miles, climbed, then descended just over 2000' at Bergen Peak in Evergreen, CO. Trails were packed snow with patches of ice and frozen dirt, but mostly packed snow.

Started with tires at 14/15 psi and was noticing the slightest slippage of rear tire and noticed the tire wasn't flattening all the way out. About a mile or so in to the ride, I changed to 11/12 psi and that seemed to be just perfect for conditions.

On the climbs, his bike had traction for miles (except where solid smooth ice) and climbed quite well. (For comparison, I normally ride a 6"-travel slack bikes). Once I got to the top and turned the bike downhill, that's where this bike really came to life!

The trail at the top is pretty steep with mostly (at this time) packed snow with small patches of ice. Quite a few rocks and roots still sticking through the snow and lots of flowy turns and also a bunch of switchbacks.

At first on the descent, I was a little cautious not sure if the 3" tires would grip as well as 5" tires I had ridden on this kind of terrain before. The further I went, the more confidence I got. I'm sure this bike has some less grip than the full 5"-wide fat bike tires, but I really didn't notice any. And this bike, probably because of the geometry, really begged to be pushed harder and harder. The faster I went, the more confidence I started to feel. (Also thought maybe winter descents call for a full-face).

I've had a fat bike in the past but just didn't really love it. I enjoyed it when the conditions were just right, but if things weren't perfect, I'd rather be on a different bike (or just skiing). This bike seems to be the kind of bike for me that will be fun to ride in just about any condition (except for deep, loose snow and probably super greasy mud).

All-in-all, I think this bike does 80-90% of what a fat bike can do, but doesn't suffer from the gigantic wheels and tires and heavy rotational weight. I barely noticed the weight or size of these tires and wheels. It seemed to accelerate like my 6" enduro bike; at times maybe even better. I'm really looking forward to getting this bike on some flowy dirt trails as well as some rowdy rocky ones. I think this bike is gonna be a real good time.

Norco Torrent-20160113_084715.jpgNorco Torrent-20160113_090315.jpgNorco Torrent-20160113_092012.jpgNorco Torrent-20160113_101219.jpgNorco Torrent-20160113_112051.jpgNorco Torrent-20160113_112112.jpg

mtbr member
    Good review, looks like a nice place to ride.

I agree, the Torrent setup rides a good 80% of what a Fattie does. We had a chunk of snow this weekend, I waited a couple days for initial packing and even though it was still soft on the climbs, my Torrent handled it with ease.

All that's missing is for the market to release a 3" studded tire. 3.25" would even fit.

Norco Torrent-kl_jan20_2.jpg

I've continued to swap parts out to better suit my requirements. I've installed an Easton carbon 35 bar (cut to 730) and a 50mm stem (<5mm than stock). The shorter stem along with narrower bars are now in a sweet spot for me - despite the bars still being a tight squeeze on my trails.

While the OEM Shimano brakes were fine, I'm a SRAM guy and wanted a little more power to handle the descending speeds this rig is capable of. So far I've been very impressed with the SRAM Guide RSC, they're friggin' powerful but also easy to modulate.

Name:  NewBarsStemBrakes.jpg
Views: 6670
Size:  54.2 KB

I've also picked up a set of Nobby Nic Trailstar Snakeskin for even more insane traction this coming summer. They were crazy cheap from Merlin Cycles online. The Trailstars are about 60gr heavier than the 7.2's OEM NN Performance tires.

Name:  NN_TrailPace.jpg
Views: 6602
Size:  51.5 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    any more perspective on just how wide a tire will fit in the rear triangle? thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    any more perspective on just how wide a tire will fit in the rear triangle? thanks
    There's a good 1/2" clearance all around with the 3" NN (actual 2 7/8").

I figure a 3.25" would comfortably fit.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's about what I was thinking. Tolerances are a little tight for anything bigger. I had originally hoped I could fit a 4" tire on occasion, but I don't think that'd be possible. Possibly up to 3.5, but I'd think you'd get some tire rub with that size.

I'm saying this for the stays as well as the boost fork. Similar tolerances on the stays as well as the fork (RS Lyrik).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I came across the Torrent 7.2 today for the first time at my local LBS by accident. What a great looking bike. I was wondering if it could potentially replace both my trail bike and my fat bike especially since everything gets packed down quickly around here. Those snow reviews with pics posted before look encouraging. Most of the time trails around here are in similar condition or packed down even firmer. Currently have 4" studded Dillingers and Floaters on 70mm rims so not exactly up to date on the current 5" tire trend anyway. Subscribed for more info
    2018 RSD Middlechild

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    ... I was wondering if it could potentially replace both my trail bike and my fat bike especially since everything gets packed down quickly around here. ...
    That's exactly why I purchased my Torrent - as a single quiver MTB that can be ridden 95% of the year (dirt, snow, wet/mud).

My local MTB trails (14km all-original) get packed quickly as well - makes for perfect riding on my 7.2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norco Torrent-ridgetop_medium.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I ride about twice per week and no commuting, so not a ton. All singletrack, but some pavement to get to the trails. Same trails summer or winter. My point is even if it snows a lot, by the time I get out with the amount of traffic on the trails, chances are I should be fine on a 27.5+ bike 19 out of 20 times imo.

With regards to the 7.2, what do you think of this for summer/winter trim?

Winter: Surly Dirt Wizard 27.5x3 with Kold Kutters or Grip studs, hopefully tubeless and hopefully it will all still fit with studs installed. Seems like big thread lugs to support studs as well as decent looking thread for snow. Maybe a rigid fork at some point depending on the performance of that SR fork in cold weather, have not done any research on that front yet.

Summer: Stock Nobby Nic's, swap for 32T NW (and another chain/cassette so it all wears evenly).

I know, gotta do more reading.

Oh yeah and sell both trail and fat bike and keep the change.
    2018 RSD Middlechild

mtbr member
    As FYI, MTBUK had a review/shoot out including the Norco Torrent, here's a PDF link off of Norco's site: http://www.norco.com/news/wp-content...ner-OPT-V1.pdf

Pretty much echos my thoughts. It's a grunt to climb (mostly because you can go straight up stuff) with scary-fast descending capabilities.

Here's a follow-up Q&A on the Norco site: Behind the 2016 Torrent: Five Questions with Product Manager Paul Burnett - Norco NewsNorco News

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Interesting. That Q&A clarifies a fundamental difference between the Torrent and other plus bikes. The folks at Norco had a type of bike in mind and selected plus tires as the best tool for the job, whereas most other manufacturers were jumping on the plus bandwagon and either making them fit into a pre-existing frame or trying to conceptualize a bike around the tires. I suppose the latter is not so different from how mountain biking came about in the first place, but there was and is still a long way to go in the development of the design from there; whereas the Torrent was a fully conceptualized design for which plus tires were selected much like any other component, because they worked best for that design.

mtbr member

Comparing Performance vs Trailstar Snakeskin NN.

As FYI, MTBUK had a review/shoot out including the Norco Torrent, here's a PDF link off of Norco's site: http://www.norco.com/news/wp-content...ner-OPT-V1.pdf
    I had some interesting observations of the Nobby Nic this weekend that I thought share with the collective.

As per the review above there were comments of 'draggy tire' at their tested 10psi (pretty much the same pressure I found as ideal). This review was based on the Snakeskin TL version of the Nobby Nic supplied on the 7.1.

My 7.2 came with regular 'Performance' version of the tire, approx. 60gr lighter w/o Snakeskin. I recently purchase a set of Trailstar Snakeskin NN 3.0" and mounted them tubeless at my usual ~ 10psi (+/- 1psi based on conditions). The Trailstar is about 1-2mm smaller all round compared the Performance tires.

To say there was a difference between Performance and Trailstar is shocking. On the trail the Trailstar tire was a BEAR to push compared to the Performance. Several times I had to check if the brakes were dragging. Also, auto steer was very pronounced when transitioning from snow to a wooden bridge.

I'm wondering if the Snakeskin sidewall is actually a massive detriment to rolling resistance when operating at <15psi due to sidewall flexing, if Schwalbe took that into consideration when designing the tire, and if a regular Performance tire would had provided a different perspective in the MBUK review.

In all fairness these observations were about -12C and performance could be substantially different once warmer. I sincerely hope that's the case because Snakeskin will be a nice given how fast this bike begs to bomb through stuff. In the meantime I'll be remounting my Performance tires until Spring.

mtbr member
    I'm here to give my findings on the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 27.5x3.0 snakeskin tires that came stock on my Torrent 7.1. I enjoyed the traction and the feel of these tires. I ran them at about 10-12 psi on snow rides. Nothing but good things to say about that environment.

However, when riding these tires in dry and rocky conditions, I am no longer a fan.

To be fair, I used to race semi-pro / open downhill and currently race enduro. I weigh 215 lbs and like to ride fast and am not necessarily the smoothest rider.

My first ride on a rocky trail, I cut both front and rear tires almost immediately on the first rocky descent. The rocks on this trail were particularly sharp and edgy, but I would have expected the tires to hold up better. I was running, I believe, around 16/15psi rear/front using a ghetto-tubeless setup. The rear tire had a small tear near the bead where it apparently pinched against the rim but was just large enough that the stans couldn't seal it. The front tire had a small tear in the sidewall that the stans ended up sealing. Once I put a tube in the rear tire, I aired up to (I'd have to guess) around 20 psi front and rear. The tires held up acceptably for the remainder of the ride, albeit maybe a little harsher than I'd expect with plus sized wheels/tires.

Disappointed about flatting too much, I patched the tires using tubeless tire patches and installed Schwalbe Procore with the Nobby Nics.

My next dry dirt ride was in a different area, but also containing lots of sharp, pointy rocks. I ended up really enjoying the ride that day with the tires at 15/17psi front/rear. I felt a nice, grippy, cushioned ride with the tires at that pressure, but not ever feeling the rim due to the Procore inner tires aired up to 80psi.

However, my rear tire ended up with a cut in the sidewall immediately after the photo below. I believe it must have simply gotten cut on a sharp rock, even though there aren't any big rocks in the photo, possibly at the moment of the photo as you can see it was completely rolled over to the side.

Another image showing sidewall flex:

I have since replaced the Nobby Nics with a set of Surly Dirt Wizard 2.75 x 3.0. These are the only double-sidewall plus tire available as far as I know at the moment. They are definitely heavier that the Nics, however. I also installed the procore with these tires.

I rode the same place again with the Dirt Wizards and Procore. I smashed the sh!t out of the rocks there and noticed that the tires because of their stiffer sidewall don't deform quite as much as the Nobby Nics and had a different ride quality than the Nics at the same pressure. I didn't notice the quick ramp up when hitting the procore inner tire like I did with the Schwalbes. But the Wizards were very heavy with also using the procore innner tires.

I'm very happy with the Dirt Wizards so far and plan to run them tubeless and remove the Procore to install on another bike. I'm much more confident in running these tires than the Nics.

Other than the stock tires, though, I really love this bike! It is exactly what I wanted. It totally shreds!

mtbr member
    impressions of the DB5 brakes?
    Many thanks

mtbr member
    SO tempted to go for a 7.1, I reckon it will well and truly scratch my trigger finger that's currently hovering over a Hightower purchase!

mtbr member
    Torrent 7.1 ordered, arriving for the first days of March

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    impressions of the DB5 brakes?
    Many thanks
    So far, the brakes seem to work pretty well, but sometimes a little noisy. Good modulation and decent power. The only complaint I've got so far is that you need an allen key to adjust the reach. I think in general sram has fixed the problems they had the past few years with their avid brake line, I've heard a lot of good reviews of their newer brakes.

Granted, you get what you pay for. If you expect these brakes to work like the guide ultimates, you'll be disappointed.

I haven't really had a chance to take the bike down a real brake roacher yet. Since it's winter, the only longish descents I've had it on was in the snow in cold weather.

mtbr member
    So far, the brakes seem to work pretty well, but sometimes a little noisy. Good modulation and decent power. The only complaint I've got so far is that you need an allen key to adjust the reach. I think in general sram has fixed the problems they had the past few years with their avid brake line, I've heard a lot of good reviews of their newer brakes.

Granted, you get what you pay for. If you expect these brakes to work like the guide ultimates, you'll be disappointed.

I haven't really had a chance to take the bike down a real brake roacher yet. Since it's winter, the only longish descents I've had it on was in the snow in cold weather.
    The rotors are the centerline ? https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...nterline-rotor

tnx

mtbr member
    The rotors are the centerline ? https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...nterline-rotor

tnx
    No. I think they're Avid G2 CleanSweep. They are stamped with AVID G2CS and basically look like the product photo at the link.

https://www.sram.com/avid/products/g2-cleansweep

mtbr member
    No. I think they're Avid G2 CleanSweep. They are stamped with AVID G2CS and basically look like the product photo at the link.

https://www.sram.com/avid/products/g2-cleansweep
    I read that with db5 are recommended centerline, but I do not know if it is true

Many thanks
    have fun with your Torrent 7.1

Edit :
    SRAM's DB5 is the best cheap mountain bike disc brake you've never heard of - Bikerumor

“Rotor development, like all of our products, is driven by engineering. Industrial Designers are always part of the development team, but when optimizing a rotor for thermal, noise, and power performance, small changes to geometry can make a huge difference. CenterLine’s design came directly from the minds of our engineers and was tested and optimized by engineering with our ID team being informed. What’s notable is that it looks different, but the aesthetic is the direct result of engineering.”

“OE’s choose the rotor they wish to pair with a brake, however most bikes you will see with a DB5 brake will come with CenterLine rotors. The noise reduction and thermal management performance of CenterLine rotors make them a popular choice. It’s worth noting that CenterLine rotors are backwards compatible as well, so they will work with brakes we produced before Guide and DB5.”

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The Torrent 7.1 is my current front-runner - I've tested a L 7.2 twice now and it's got the "it's the one" feeling plus it seems like a pretty good spec for the $. I'm a little worried about the tires now and the eTen dropper for a guy my size (230 lbs) but I figure these would be reasonably-priced upgrades later if need be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJR730 View Post
    ... and the eTen dropper ...
    Not sure if I mentioned this before, but the eTen dropper is only 100mm, so one of the first things I swapped on this bike was to a 150mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    now some of these are in the wild, I wondered what people thought of the Suntour fork on the 7.2?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I seem to have killed this thread dead

In addition to my previous query, I wondered if there was any idea how this might ride with (big) non-plus tyres? Where I am, winter means mud, and i think something like 2.5 Minion might be better than a plus tyre.

Also note the points above about the effect of the tyres on the lethargic climbing feel described by MBUK. I take it then that the feel with something lower profile in the summer (setup tubeless) might transform the feeling?

mtbr member
    well, it should ride pretty good. the wheels will be a smidge bigger diameter but probably not noticeable. minions are obviously great tyres, though a bit sluggish for the back (if you are from bristol uk?) high roller would be a bit less draggy. but im sure you can check out the options.

id like to see some more objective comments/reviews from the rags. it may *feel* slower, but is it? and if so a small effect or a big effect? i remember when i first got my Krampus doing a 2.5 ish hour pass through the Cairngorm and the bike felt sluggish compared to my 7lb lighter xc weapon...but the difference was a few minutes. both are great, but feel different and probably are fast in some areas and slow in others. the good thing is with a second set of wheels, you can pick and choose.

Walt did some strava comparison and makes a compelling case for feel not being = to real speed. HTH
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    well, it should ride pretty good. the wheels will be a smidge bigger diameter but probably not noticeable. minions are obviously great tyres, though a bit sluggish for the back (if you are from bristol uk?) high roller would be a bit less draggy. but im sure you can check out the options.

id like to see some more objective comments/reviews from the rags. it may *feel* slower, but is it? and if so a small effect or a big effect? i remember when i first got my Krampus doing a 2.5 ish hour pass through the Cairngorm and the bike felt sluggish compared to my 7lb lighter xc weapon...but the difference was a few minutes. both are great, but feel different and probably are fast in some areas and slow in others. the good thing is with a second set of wheels, you can pick and choose.

Walt did some strava comparison and makes a compelling case for feel not being = to real speed. HTH
    Yep Bristol UK. I was thinking like a 27.5x2.5 minion on the front. Probably something like a High roller or Hans Dampf on the back, so it should be smaller diameter, and I think it'll drop the BB height by about 10-15mm? not sure though. BB height seems pretty high though at 325. My Scott Scale is 307, and feels great railing round the corners.
    Also, dunno if I can run a regular tyre on the scraper. Might just be an awful square thing. I don't want to get into have multiple pairs of wheels...

I like the idea of this b+ beast, but I'm a bit worried it might be of limited use.

100% on feel slow not equalling being slow, but at the end of the day, we ride a bike because of how it makes us feel, not how fast we get somewhere! I'm not a fan of sluggish bikes, but I don't mind the tradeoff when necessary (i.e. in the winter when everything is filth, I'll happily trade speed and lightweight for traction).

I've ordered one of these in to my local shop for a car park test. I'll see from there.

mtbr member
    ah! i thought you'd go 29...just as you say a bit of a drop then! i think the good thign about 27.5+ (and to an extent 29+) is, again, just like you say the fact if you dont like a tyre or a width its versatility - i reckon it will be a fun bike! id be very happy doing bristol 12 on a b+!
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think I'll still be racing the 12 on my Scott scale :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfBristol View Post
    I seem to have killed this thread dead

In addition to my previous query, I wondered if there was any idea how this might ride with (big) non-plus tyres? Where I am, winter means mud, and i think something like 2.5 Minion might be better than a plus tyre.

Also note the points above about the effect of the tyres on the lethargic climbing feel described by MBUK. I take it then that the feel with something lower profile in the summer (setup tubeless) might transform the feeling?
    I had posted comments on the 7.2 fork in post #20 of this thread. Overall I'm happy. It handles the big movement easily enough and the low pressure tires (10-12psi) handle all the little stuff. Incremental lockout and rebound are quite effective.

The frame & fork has lots of clearance for mud with the existing 3.0" tires. Personally I wouldn't go smaller for mud, especially given the NN is a decent all-round tire and there's gobs of grip already.

I'm convinced that a majority of the lethargic feel is due to the 7.1's noticeably stiffer Snakeskin tire casing at the low ~10psi MBUK was running. There's no doubt in my mind that's the ideal pressure, but I'm convinced Schwalbe didn't anticipate their tire would be best that low (min 15psi on the sidewall) when they spec'd the Snakeskin on the 7.1.

My 7.2 came with 'Performance' non-Snakeskin (more supple) Nobby Nic's which roll a hell of a lot faster than the aftermarket Trailstar 3.0 NN Snakeskins I purchased & mounted. Completely different bike when I swapped between the two. If you get the 7.1 Snakeskin tires, my recommendation is to swap tires first if you find it too slow before going the more costly (and less grip/comfort) route of a different wheel/tire size.

Anyone want to trade me their 3.0 NN Performance 7.2 tires for hardly used Trailstar TL Snakeskin 3.0?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfBristol View Post
    now some of these are in the wild, I wondered what people thought of the Suntour fork on the 7.2?
    I'm happy with mine. Works as good as the rockshox on my last bike (Recon), no noticeable flex even at my 260lbs. Feels nice and smooth.

Moderator Moderator
    ...low pressure tires (10-12psi) handle all the little stuff...

I'm convinced that a majority of the lethargic feel is due to the 7.1's noticeably stiffer Snakeskin tire casing at the low ~10psi MBUK was running. There's no doubt in my mind that's the ideal pressure, but I'm convinced Schwalbe didn't anticipate their tire would be best that low (min 15psi on the sidewall) when they spec'd the Snakeskin on the 7.1.

My 7.2 came with 'Performance' non-Snakeskin (more supple) Nobby Nic's which roll a hell of a lot faster than the aftermarket Trailstar 3.0 NN Snakeskins I purchased & mounted. Completely different bike when I swapped between the two. If you get the 7.1 Snakeskin tires, my recommendation is to swap tires first if you find it too slow before going the more costly (and less grip/comfort) route of a different wheel/tire size.

Anyone want to trade me their 3.0 NN Performance 7.2 tires for hardly used Trailstar TL Snakeskin 3.0?
    I've found that my sweet spot seems to be around 15-16psi rear and 12-13 up front. Rolls well and has super grip, nice and plush as well. Not much sidewall roll. Keep in mind though that I'm a big boy at 260lbs so these higher pressures are to be expected, these are also for the OEM performance tires. I think rider weight plays a big part in how much air pressure these b+ tires run.

mtbr member
    I've found that my sweet spot seems to be around 15-16psi rear and 12-13 up front. Rolls well and has super grip, nice and plush as well. Not much sidewall roll. Keep in mind though that I'm a big boy at 260lbs so these higher pressures are to be expected, these are also for the OEM performance tires. I think rider weight plays a big part in how much air pressure these b+ tires run.
    I'm 205lbs which makes you about 30% heavier than me, and your pressures are bang-on 30% higher than what I run. Funny how despite being two different sized riders living in two different areas we've both gravited to damn-near the same feel of grip vs roll.

I'm still loving my ride, absolutely zero regrets. I've put 340 kilometers on my Torrent since getting it 3 months ago.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm 205lbs which makes you about 30% heavier than me, and your pressures are bang-on 30% higher than what I run. Funny how despite being two different sized riders living in two different areas we've both gravited to damn-near the same feel of grip vs roll.

I'm still loving my ride, absolutely zero regrets. I've put 340 kilometers on my Torrent since getting it 3 months ago.
    Nice, looks like we are on to something here.

I've left the poor Norco hanging in favour of the fatbike lately as conditions here along Lake Erie have been a mixed bag. Won't be long before I get it dirty again though.

mtbr member
    what is the weight of the original pedals ?

many tnx

mtbr member
    what is the weight of the original pedals ?

many tnx
    Looks like about 466g.

Norco Torrent-uploadfromtaptalk1457101320403.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    many tnx

bye

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ugly View Post
    Tnx for the info

bye bye

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Got a Torrent 7.2 large a few days ago. So far, I love it. Truth is, I haven't ridden much the last 3 years or so, and was a bit tired of my previous bike which was a standard hard tail, 26 in .. decent, but too many problems over time.

I did have one problem today with the torrent, which happened riding on pavement to some single track. The rear brake locked up a couple times early in the ride. Both times I had to move the bike rear to spin the tire free. After that it was fine. Really, not sure what the cause.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Could be a faulty caliper.

mtbr member
    Of all the 27.5+ bikes out there right now, the torrent 7.1 really checks all the boxes for me. Very tempting as a do-it-all hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    Of all the 27.5+ bikes out there right now, the torrent 7.1 really checks all the boxes for me. Very tempting as a do-it-all hardtail.
    Love mine, for sure! Hard to beat

mtbr member
    Love mine, for sure! Hard to beat

Is there anything that you would change about it? I'd probably swap out the brakes for some XT's that I have, and the pedals, but otherwise it seems fairly well equipped. The geometry is pretty spot on for what I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    Is there anything that you would change about it? I'd probably swap out the brakes for some XT's that I have, and the pedals, but otherwise it seems fairly well equipped. The geometry is pretty spot on for what I'm looking for.
    Honesty, I personally prefer the SRAM brakes on this 7.1 to the XT's I've got on my Intense Tracer. So much so that it made me realize I'm not really a fan of the XT's and I just ordered some Guide RSCs for my Tracer.

I replaced the seatpost with a 150mm travel one instead of the 100mm stock one. I changed out the tires. Those Schwalbe sidewalls are way too thin for my riding style.

The stock grips are pretty terrible.

I also replaced the rotors with SRAM Centerlines because the cheapos they stock on the bike were a little noisy.

All these changes are arguably pretty optional. This is really an incredible bike at the price-point.

I really believe I would love this bike no matter the wheel size. This bike is more than a plus bike. It really stands on its own without filling into that little niche, but the plus wheels/tires really work for it!

mtbr member
    I also replaced the rotors with SRAM Centerlines because the cheapos they stock on the bike were a little noisy.
    The brakes with the Centerline working well ?

mtbr member
    The brakes with the Centerline working well ?
    Yeah for sure. Powerful and quiet. The stock rotors were just a bit noisy.

mtbr member
    Yeah for sure. Powerful and quiet. The stock rotors were just a bit noisy.
    Tnx .thumper. ,
    you are always courteous and quick to respond

mtbr member
    Some days are happy owner of Torrent 7.1
    Great bike
    Does anyone know the model Novatec hub mounted on the bike?

Many thanks

mtbr member
    Honesty, I personally prefer the SRAM brakes on this 7.1 to the XT's I've got on my Intense Tracer. So much so that it made me realize I'm not really a fan of the XT's and I just ordered some Guide RSCs for my Tracer.

I replaced the seatpost with a 150mm travel one instead of the 100mm stock one. I changed out the tires. Those Schwalbe sidewalls are way too thin for my riding style.

The stock grips are pretty terrible.

All these changes are arguably pretty optional. This is really an incredible bike at the price-point.

I really believe I would love this bike no matter the wheel size. This bike is more than a plus bike. It really stands on its own without filling into that little niche, but the plus wheels/tires really work for it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Dont mean to throw off Sram fans. But you cant get better breaks than Hope's.

mtbr member
    Torrent 7.1 ordered, arriving for the first days of March
    How do I order this bike? Do I need to go through a local dealer?
    Asteroids do not concern me admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bucknejo View Post
    How do I order this bike? Do I need to go through a local dealer?
    Yes.
    https://www.norco.com/find-a-dealer/

Great bike, for me

bye

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Dont mean to throw off Sram fans. But you cant get better breaks than Hope's.
    I dunno... my SRAM Guides RSC with Centreline rotors are friggin' awesome! I've come from Magura (finicky) and years of Formula (strong for their weight). The quad piston calipers on the Guides have piles more power AND modulation than what I've ever experienced in the past, impressive! Weight was pretty much identical to the replaced Shimano OEM brakes which my youngest son is now trashing.

9Point8 Fall Line 125mm dropper post is coming in a couple of weeks (looong wait list). That along with the upgraded Guide brakes will really let me extract the most out of my 7.2 on descents.

535km on the Torrent to date and loving every minute of it.

Weight at 27.4lbs as pictured w/pedals & cage. Will likely creep up to 28lbs with the dropper.

Norco Torrent-torrent.jpg
    Norco Torrent-torrentweight.jpg

mtbr member
    Yes.
    https://www.norco.com/find-a-dealer/

Great bike, for me

bye
    Thanks - called my local dealer, reserved a 7.1. Hopefully here in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Thanks - called my local dealer, reserved a 7.1. Hopefully here in a few weeks.
    Good job :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I dunno... my SRAM Guides RSC with Centreline rotors are friggin' awesome! I've come from Magura (finicky) and years of Formula (strong for their weight). The quad piston calipers on the Guides have piles more power AND modulation than what I've ever experienced in the past, impressive! Weight was pretty much identical to the replaced Shimano OEM brakes which my youngest son is now trashing.

9Point8 Fall Line 125mm dropper post is coming in a couple of weeks (looong wait list). That along with the upgraded Guide brakes will really let me extract the most out of my 7.2 on descents.

535km on the Torrent to date and loving every minute of it.

Weight at 27.4lbs as pictured w/pedals & cage. Will likely creep up to 28lbs with the dropper.

Name:	Torrent.jpg 
Views:	2040 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	1057313

Name:	TorrentWeight.jpg 
Views:	581 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	1057314
    That a really nice weight. What changes did you make from the Stock Bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwabbott View Post
    That a really nice weight. What changes did you make from the Stock Bike?
    Wheelset & tires (tubeless), fork, crank/BB, chain, frame are still stock.

Parts:
    • Easton Haven 35 carbon bar & 35 stem (50mm)
    • ODI Rogue grips
    • SRAM XO 10 spd twist shifter and short cage rear derailleur
    • SRAM RSC Guide brakes with 180/160 Centreline rotors
    • Syntace Hiflex seatpost (soon to be 9point8 Fall Line dropper), generic seatpost collar
    • WTB Rocket comp saddle
    • Eggbeater 3 pedals
    • SRAM XG1099 11-36 cassette
    • Bontrager RL bottle cage

I was able to flip the perfectly good stock components onto my two boy's bikes - why buy them the new stuff (that they'll inevitably trash) when I can get what I want and make it last longer?

The only other change I anticipate is a new wheelset next winter. I want to swap to 11sp XD hub once my current 10sp drivetrain wears out, I also want a hub with far more points of engagement than stock, and carbon rims (min 40mm inner width).

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Are you happy with the Raidon fork?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Are you happy with the Raidon fork?

Surprisingly, I am - for now at least. There's still snow around here and I only had a couple weeks on dirt back in November and wasn't familiar enough with the bike to really push it.

But so far, so good. The adjustments knobs work well enough to actually feel a difference which is big positive for me - including a full lockout. I don't really care about the fork's supple response since I roll with only 8-9psi in my front tires. I haven't felt any flex yet, but that might change with more speed once I'm back on dirt.

The only thing that's quirky is the skewer with that flare nut. The design is such that the flare nut can get pretty grimy which makes it a PITA to compress and remove at times.

mtbr member

BB and crankset parts

A bummed non-drive bearing needed replacing. The Race Face Aeffect crankset didn't come with an extraction bolt and my tool didn't fit.

Here's the Race Face parts required to install an extraction bolt and replacement bearings.
    Norco Torrent-crankparts.jpg

Norco Torrent-bbpart.jpg

After removing one of the bearing cups, a good 2-3 ounces of water poured out of the bike.

Norco Torrent-peeingbike.jpg

Lots of goo in the BB area as well. I’m not surprised as I’ve ridden this thing in the nastiest possible conditions to see what it can do. Apparently I should have covered up the un-used dropper post cable outlet…

Norco Torrent-bb_goo.jpg

Pic of the extraction bolt/cap and taped up dropper hole (temporary - 9point8 Fall Line is in the mail).

Name:  ExtractionBolt.jpg
Views: 2409
Size:  64.1 KB

With the new BB everything’s good again – just in time to enjoy the first dirt I’ve seen since November.

Norco Torrent-dirt-.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I am a first time participant on this forum but wanted to thank everyone for their honest feedback regarding the Torrent (especially you fritZman). I picked up a Torrent 7.1 this week from my local shop and made a few mods based on the dialogue from earlier. I immediately went tubeless and switched out the Schwalbe NN with the WTB Trailboss 3.0. I live in the Denver area and mostly ride dry and rocky trails. Given the feedback that fritZman provided, I was not looking forward to pushing those Nobby Nics on the 3.0 tire. I also switched out the rotors to Centerline thanks to this forum.

I have to say, the bike rode beautifully today and I have never ripped down a trail in my life like I was able to today. I have been riding/racing since 8th grade and I cannot say enough good things about this bike. I was coming off of a 2015 Salsa El Mariachi and this bike was everything I hoped it would be. The only time I missed my salsa was on a hard back, moderate climb with a head wind. The Torrent is not built for XC racing and it was a little harder to pedal under those conditions but on technical single track I was faster than on my El Mariachi. I never even rode the Nobby Nics but am thankful that I had them changed out at the shop.

Norco Torrent-img_1741.jpg

I will report more back after a few more rides but if you are on the fence at all, go ahead and buy this bike. I am totally blown away.

mtbr member
    Great review and first post teleski76. So cool how on day #1 you're hammering descents quicker than ever... wait until you see how fast you go after a dozen or so rides when you get accustomed to your Torrent!

Thanks for the appreciative comments but I hope I didn't come across as an absolute Nobby Nic hater. I actually do like the lower-end Nobby Nic 'Performance' (non-snakeskin) tires that came on my 7.2 Torrent. I'm just suspicious of the poor rolling efficiency I experienced on their higher-end Snakeskin when run at PLUS-like low pressures that I prefer (ie: 9-11psi). In that tire’s defense I was running below the recommended 15psi minimum.

Regardless, it sounds like you're happy with the change so it's all good.

mtbr member
    Anyone in Phoenix, AZ have a large Torrent that I could take for a spin? Or does anyone know of a bike shop in Phoenix that carries Norco?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the Torrent 7.1 comes with centerline rotors? The Norco website spec just reads N/A. I'm guessing they do as the DB5s are in line with the new SRAM brake series.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the Torrent 7.1 comes with centerline rotors? The Norco website spec just reads N/A. I'm guessing they do as the DB5s are in line with the new SRAM brake series.
    Norco Torrent - Page 3- Mtbr.com

Avid G2 CleanSweep

Moderator Moderator
    So I recently swapped out the rear tire from the OEM Nic to a 27.5 x 3.0 Rocket Ron. I always like the Nic front Ron rear combo on my 29ers and thought I'd give it a go on the Torrent. It works great. The ron is a much better rear tire IMO than the Nic (which I love in the front) as it has better transition and edge knobs that hold a line better and don't wash out the rear of the bike like the Nic did out back when cornering hard and fast. Bike rolls quicker now too and still has more traction that I can find the limits of out back.

I'm also finding that the OEM brakes are not up to snuff for this guy. Being a heavy weight (260lbs) and being able to ride as hard and fast as I can with all the traction this bike has, its easy to overwork the brakes. I've found myself panic gripping them a few times trying to scrub some speed but they just don't have the guts for it. I might upgrade to XT brakes and use these on my much slower full-fat bike.

mtbr member
    So I recently swapped out the rear tire from the OEM Nic to a 27.5 x 3.0 Rocket Ron.
    Nice! Where did you get that in Canada?

I'd love to get a RR rear but I don't think it will survive my local trails for too long.

Norco Torrent-springishere.jpg

Speaking of not surviving, my Suntour Raidon's right stanchion is dying a slow death.

Norco Torrent-scratchedstanchion_1.jpg

I'm not sure what the issue is internally but it looks like a bushing is not doing it's job - there's a lot of stiction in the fork now. Those are actual scratches in the metal.

I'm visiting the LBS tomorrow.

Also, whenever I pedal (only) the frame is creaking like a SOB now. I've replaced the cups, greased the crap out of everything, and torqued all to spec - I'm running out of ideas.

Besides that, the bike still rocks. These little distractions didn't prevent me from hammering out a few hours this wknd.

EDIT: I brought the bike in and the fork is being shipped off for warranty. On a stroke of luck the Norco rep literally poked his head into the shop just as the mechanic was looking at the stanchions and offered his Torrent's Raidon which was in his car (had swapped to something else). No downtime! With the replacement on, the difference in smoothness was quite noticeable.
    Last edited by fritZman; 04-19-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice! Where did you get that in Canada?
    I ordered it from ebay. Abaxo was the seller. Its a Rocket Ron Snakeskin, seems pretty tough.

I'm going to have to keep an eye on my fork, thats pretty scary looking.

As for the squeak, mine did it too. I greased the bb cups, crankset, seatpost and seat rails, the stem / steerer contact, and tightened down all the bolts. Seems ok now.

mtbr member

Torrent homecoming

Thought I'd post a cool experience I recently had with my Torrent.

This week I had the pleasure of taking my Norco to Vancouver with me. While researching the various North Shore trail options on Trailforks, I noticed one trail had similar content to the Norco Promotional video, specifically Expresso on Fromme/Grouse trail network.

Prior to riding Fromme, I rode Seymour trails and met a local (Erik) who has a 7.1 Torrent himself. Erik was kind enough to offer a tour of Fromme. A couple of days later we connected and rode some amazing trails, including Expresso.

Here's a cool shot of the 'siblings' racked up for a ride
    Norco Torrent-torrent_twins.jpg

Here's a clip of 'Big Smooth' off the promo video (38-44 seconds in)
    Norco Torrent-norcobigsmooth.jpg

Here's my pic at the same spot (notice Erik's Torrent parked alongside). Norco Torrent-froomebigsmooth.jpg

That roll-out is a hell of a lot steeper and longer than it looks BTW!

The amazing thing is that I thought the Torrent's capabilities were pretty damn good for East coast technical trials-like terrain, but the bike was even better on the Shore trails I rode. Thanks to NSMBA, Erik, and Norco, it really was a awesome experience. I'll be back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    For those with a 7.2, how are you getting on without a dropper post?

Also, is this the first bike you've had with a 1x groupset? How did you find the transition from a 3x or 2x?

mtbr member
    Funny you ask because it's been on my mind a lot this past month. I never felt the need for a dropper but I decided to install a 9Point8 Fall line on my 7.2 to potentially maximize its awesome descending capabilities.

At first I hated the damn thing. It worked perfectly well, and I certainly had more room to absorb drops and jump, but when dropped I could no longer feel the saddle between my thighs to tell me what the bike was doing at higher speeds. I felt like the bike was tipping/leaning/flopping around beneath me and that I had less control. I missed having the raised saddle to act as a 'rudder'.

I figured this was just 10+ years of riding habit which I had to break and reset - which is exactly what happened on my trip. For me the key was to squeeze my legs a bit more than before to once again feel the (now dropped) saddle while still benefiting from the extra room.

Honestly, for buffed terrain with limited steeps, I still don't feel there's a need for a dropper - especially given their price point and suspect reliability of some models. But to maximize this frame's capabilities there absolutely is a benefit to the dropper.

I'll be keeping mine, but it took me a good 2 weeks of riding to determine that.

As for the 1x drivetrain, I've been running that setup for ages (even 1x8), so there was no adjustment required for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the great reply! Out of interest, did you watch the XCO World Cup in Cairns (on Red Bull TV)? They're my local trails so I'd be interested to get your thoughts on the dropper post (is it worth it?) and indeed the bike itself.

Moderator Moderator
    I just swapped out the OEM Norco torture device saddle for a Specialized Phenom..... my butt has never been happier on this bike. Been getting along with the Torrent quite well lately, I've noticed that it likes to be ridden hard and really shines when pushed to the riders limits.

I has some more creaking from the bike recently and found that I really needed to get the rear thru-axle greased and super tight to cure it. This might help others with similar issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I just swapped out the OEM Norco torture device saddle for a Specialized Phenom..... my butt has never been happier on this bike. Been getting along with the Torrent quite well lately, I've noticed that it likes to be ridden hard and really shines when pushed to the riders limits.

I has some more creaking from the bike recently and found that I really needed to get the rear thru-axle greased and super tight to cure it. This might help others with similar issues.

Suntour fork still going strong?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    Suntour fork still going strong?
    Sure is. I'm pretty good about keeping the stanchions clean after seeing the scratches that ruined fritZman's fork.

mtbr member
    Sure is. I'm pretty good about keeping the stanchions clean after seeing the scratches that ruined fritZman's fork.
    You'll want to keep an eye on the rebound knob as well. My loaner Suntour Raidon fork has developed a noisy top-out knocking sound when I unload the front rapidly. I tried to adjust the rebound but the knob has fallen off - likely the cause to new noise...

With 2 issues on two different Raidon forks and Bike Radar breaking their Torrent's Raidon fork, I'm starting to become suspicious of it's reliability.

I'm not hammering my equipment that hard, the rims have only had bottom-out tap (and zero dents) despite running 9/11psi.

Moderator Moderator
    You'll want to keep an eye on the rebound knob as well. My loaner Suntour Raidon fork has developed a noisy top-out knocking sound when I unload the front rapidly. I tried to adjust the rebound but the knob has fallen off - likely the cause to new noise...

With 2 issues on two different Raidon forks and Bike Radar breaking their Torrent's Raidon fork, I'm starting to become suspicious of it's reliability.

I'm not hammering my equipment that hard, the rims have only had bottom-out tap (and zero dents) despite running 9/11psi.
    I'm squirreling cash away for a Yari to replace the Suntour when it bites the dust, whenever that may be. So far so good though. I have noticed on my last couple of rides that the Suntour has more bushing slop than most forks I've used although it does not seem to be getting any worse.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    It's been reassuring reading this thread about my decision to get a Torrent. I'd been researching a bunch of the 27.5+ bikes but most of the ones on my list were hard to find in my local area. I took out a Torrent 7.1 demo from one of my local shops. However, it was really hard to find a 7.1 with an XL frame (they are apparently all sold out in Canada). My local bike shop spent quite a bit of effort to track one down for me. Unfortunately, they weren't able to find any so instead they contacted their Norco rep and were able to swap the components from a Torrent 7.1 they had in their showroom onto a 7.2 XL frame.

I'm blown away at how different this bike performs compared to the old Trek 950 hardtail i've ridden for years. It took a bit of getting used to but now it's so much fun. I can't believe some of the terrain i'm able to go on...
    Last edited by tm1972; 05-06-2016 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tm1972 View Post
    It's been reassuring reading this thread about my decision to get a Torrent. I'd been researching a bunch of the 27.5+ bikes but most of the ones on my list were hard to find in my local area. I took out a Torrent 7.1 demo from one of my local shops. However, it was really hard to find a 7.1 with an XL frame (they are apparently all sold out in Canada). My local bike shop spent quite a bit of effort to track one down for me. Unfortunately, they weren't able to find any so instead they contacted their Norco rep and were able to swap the components from a Torrent 7.1 they had in their showroom onto a 7.2 XL frame.

I'm blown away at how different this bike performs compared to the old Trek 950 hardtail i've ridden for years. It took a bit of getting used to it's so much fun. I can't believe some of the terrain i'm able to go on now...
    Welcome in the "torrent" World

mtbr member
    anyone knows the weight of the handlebar and stem

many tnx

mtbr member
    I've got 440 grams.

Norco Torrent-norcobarsstem.jpg

mtbr member
    I've got 440 grams.

Name:	NorcoBarsStem.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	1068986
    thanks Fritzmann,
    I was thinking of replacing it with something in carbon, to save some weight and improve comfort

you also have the weight of only the handlebars?
    many tnx

mtbr member
    ... you also have the weight of only the handlebars?
    many tnx
    OEM Norco 35mm alloy bar is 300gr even, matching 55mm stem is 140gr.

I replaced them with Easton Haven carbon and 50mm stem. I didn't really feel much comfort improvement (35mm setup is getting to be pretty damn stiff) but I did save a bit of weight and a slightly better fit with 1/2 cm shorter reach.

mtbr member

I replaced them with Easton Haven carbon and 50mm stem. I didn't really feel much comfort improvement (35mm setup is getting to be pretty damn stiff) but I did save a bit of weight and a slightly better fit with 1/2 cm shorter reach.
    Tnx fritZman for your answer and impression

mtbr member

I read good reviews about the RaceFace Next 35, It could be my next choice

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hello, I am a mountainbiker from Europe and currently looking for a 27.5+ bike. Norco Torrent 7.1 seems interesting option and this forum has provided useful information of the bike.
    However, I most probably would not have an opportunity for a test drive and I probably would end up ordering the bike from web. This leads me to a problem of a right size.
    Unfortunately enough, I am often just between medium and large sizes in size charts. What would Torrent owners´recommendations be by an experience? My height: 177cm /5 ft 10" and inseam 84cm / 2ft 9"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    picking up my torrent today!! couldn't believe how good the bike felt when i hoped on. tested the specialized and though it was nice the torrent geo is spot on for me!

I want to upgrade a few things, maybe seat, stem, bars, pedals but does anyone recommend something on the 7.1 that is really needs a change? I can say i test rode a bike in a rental fleet and the front brake felt horrible......any issues with the brake set up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kahilati View Post
    Hello, I am a mountainbiker from Europe and currently looking for a 27.5+ bike. Norco Torrent 7.1 seems interesting option and this forum has provided useful information of the bike.
    However, I most probably would not have an opportunity for a test drive and I probably would end up ordering the bike from web. This leads me to a problem of a right size.
    Unfortunately enough, I am often just between medium and large sizes in size charts. What would Torrent owners´recommendations be by an experience? My height: 177cm /5 ft 10" and inseam 84cm / 2ft 9"
    Hi kahilati,
    my height 188cm, inseam 90cm, Torrent 7.1 size L

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hi kahilati,
    my height 188cm, inseam 90cm, Torrent 7.1 size L
    Hello [email protected], thank you for replying - basing on that I should go for size M.
    Have you been happy with the Torrent 7.1? How does the overall quality feel like? My another options at the moment are Scott Scale 710+, Orbea Loki H10 and Mondrager Vantage R+.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Double
    Last edited by kahilati; 05-14-2016 at 04:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood72 View Post
    picking up my torrent today!! couldn't believe how good the bike felt when i hoped on. tested the specialized and though it was nice the torrent geo is spot on for me!

I want to upgrade a few things, maybe seat, stem, bars, pedals but does anyone recommend something on the 7.1 that is really needs a change? I can say i test rode a bike in a rental fleet and the front brake felt horrible......any issues with the brake set up?
    Hi kenwood72,
    my situation :

- pedals : crank brothers Candy 1
    - Seat : ordered YOUR AIR CAMEL
    - bar : shortly order RaceFace Next 35 Rise mm10
    - brake : i change the pads and now the brakes are less noise, but probably i change the rotors with the Centerline

Have fun with your new bike

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" on a good day (read: 5' 8.5") with 30" inseam, longish arms. Prior to my Torrent I typically rode a medium XC frame (~23.75") with a 90mm stem.

I went up a size to a Large Torrent because it's 30mm longer top tube is offset with a 35mm shorter stem - giving me an effective reach that I'm used to, while still benefiting from the AM geometry of a longer front-centre.

No issues with clearance at the crotch on size large.

When between sizes you also get the luxury to choose your frame based on local trails. I've got a mix so when riding tight & slow terrain the Large can feel a little cumbersome (~32mm/1.25" longer wheelbase compared to the medium). But the Large does offer more at-speed stability when descending - something the Torrent does exceptionally well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    anyone rocking this w 29 wheels on her?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi kenwood72,
    my situation :

- pedals : crank brothers Candy 1
    - Seat : ordered YOUR AIR CAMEL
    - bar : shortly order RaceFace Next 35 Rise mm10
    - brake : i change the pads and now the brakes are less noise, but probably i change the rotors with the Centerline

Have fun with your new bike
    thanks I changed the bar and stem easton have 35 and race face six 35/800 also added spank pedals and put on a shimano rotor that seems to be doing the trick. i have to say i am impressed with the brakes they are really powerful.

got out on the bike and was shocked at how fast it moves-i haven't ridden a hardtail in a while and made a few errors that my other bike would have fixed but wow this thing is fun. i was surprised to see i almost matched my top speed on the trail-going fast on this thing is pretty easy and it handles great. now i have to say a hardtail can be rough though as i tried to blast through some rocky sections and you definitely need to be a bit more careful though not all that much!! anyhow great bike and i just have to decide if i am gonna keep the ergon saddle i bought, it was on closeout and i got over 50% off but my problem is i think it looks kinda goofy....

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I'm 5'9" on a good day (read: 5' 8.5") with 30" inseam, longish arms. Prior to my Torrent I typically rode a medium XC frame (~23.75") with a 90mm stem.

I went up a size to a Large Torrent because it's 30mm longer top tube is offset with a 35mm shorter stem - giving me an effective reach that I'm used to, while still benefiting from the AM geometry of a longer front-centre.

No issues with clearance at the crotch on size large.

When between sizes you also get the luxury to choose your frame based on local trails. I've got a mix so when riding tight & slow terrain the Large can feel a little cumbersome (~32mm/1.25" longer wheelbase compared to the medium). But the Large does offer more at-speed stability when descending - something the Torrent does exceptionally well.
    Good point, and that´s true there´s a opportunity to choose either M or L since neither or them is absolutely wrong.
    Terrain here is rather flat and I prefer technical and slow terrain. For this M size would fit better.
    I currently drive a M size full-suspension Specialized Epic so change to Torrent will be a big change.

mtbr member
    Hello [email protected], thank you for replying - basing on that I should go for size M.
    Have you been happy with the Torrent 7.1? How does the overall quality feel like? My another options at the moment are Scott Scale 710+, Orbea Loki H10 and Mondrager Vantage R+.
    Hello kahilati,
    i'm very happy with the Torrent 7.1, frame with good geometry for trail/AM, good wheels
    This bike is very funny

MBUK’s full review

mtbr member

I replaced the original seat because too grippy with shorts, off the saddle was difficult.
    I also found that weighs gr. 343, then with the new saddle that weighs gr. 160 I will spare gr. 183

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hello kahilati,
    i'm very happy with the Torrent 7.1, frame with good geometry for trail/AM, good wheels
    This bike is very funny

MBUK’s full review
    Hello, thank you for the link and reply. Do you have Manitou or RockShox Yari fork?
    I will also try to find the whole article since there are Scott and Orbea reviewed. Torrent is almost 1,5kg heavier than Scott. I wonder where does such a big difference in weight come from?

mtbr member
    Hello, thank you for the link and reply. Do you have Manitou or RockShox Yari fork?
    RS Yari

Torrent is almost 1,5kg heavier than Scott. I wonder where does such a big difference in weight come from?
    Scott don't have telescopic seat post, and maybe the FOX 32 is lighter as the Yari (35mm chassis)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm here to give my findings on the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 27.5x3.0 snakeskin tires that came stock on my Torrent 7.1. I enjoyed the traction and the feel of these tires. I ran them at about 10-12 psi on snow rides. Nothing but good things to say about that environment.

However, when riding these tires in dry and rocky conditions, I am no longer a fan.

To be fair, I used to race semi-pro / open downhill and currently race enduro. I weigh 215 lbs and like to ride fast and am not necessarily the smoothest rider.

My first ride on a rocky trail, I cut both front and rear tires almost immediately on the first rocky descent. The rocks on this trail were particularly sharp and edgy, but I would have expected the tires to hold up better. I was running, I believe, around 16/15psi rear/front using a ghetto-tubeless setup. The rear tire had a small tear near the bead where it apparently pinched against the rim but was just large enough that the stans couldn't seal it. The front tire had a small tear in the sidewall that the stans ended up sealing. Once I put a tube in the rear tire, I aired up to (I'd have to guess) around 20 psi front and rear. The tires held up acceptably for the remainder of the ride, albeit maybe a little harsher than I'd expect with plus sized wheels/tires.

Disappointed about flatting too much, I patched the tires using tubeless tire patches and installed Schwalbe Procore with the Nobby Nics.

My next dry dirt ride was in a different area, but also containing lots of sharp, pointy rocks. I ended up really enjoying the ride that day with the tires at 15/17psi front/rear. I felt a nice, grippy, cushioned ride with the tires at that pressure, but not ever feeling the rim due to the Procore inner tires aired up to 80psi.

However, my rear tire ended up with a cut in the sidewall immediately after the photo below. I believe it must have simply gotten cut on a sharp rock, even though there aren't any big rocks in the photo, possibly at the moment of the photo as you can see it was completely rolled over to the side.

Another image showing sidewall flex:

I have since replaced the Nobby Nics with a set of Surly Dirt Wizard 2.75 x 3.0. These are the only double-sidewall plus tire available as far as I know at the moment. They are definitely heavier that the Nics, however. I also installed the procore with these tires.

I rode the same place again with the Dirt Wizards and Procore. I smashed the sh!t out of the rocks there and noticed that the tires because of their stiffer sidewall don't deform quite as much as the Nobby Nics and had a different ride quality than the Nics at the same pressure. I didn't notice the quick ramp up when hitting the procore inner tire like I did with the Schwalbes. But the Wizards were very heavy with also using the procore innner tires.

I'm very happy with the Dirt Wizards so far and plan to run them tubeless and remove the Procore to install on another bike. I'm much more confident in running these tires than the Nics.

Other than the stock tires, though, I really love this bike! It is exactly what I wanted. It totally shreds!
    when I read your info on the tires i was hoping you were wrong BUT 2nd ride on the bike and I got a flat due to a punctured sidewall. I think this bike is amazing yesterday it was really wet and sloppy and i was really loving my ability to fly down the trail taking the same lines i use on my evil insurgent! yeah it is a bit harsher but i love the geometry of this bike though upon flatting i had to walk/run theist 3 miles so i didn't hold up the people i was with!!

anyhow i am going to change the tires too but i was thinking about maxxis as i have had such good luck with them. i read an article that even though many of these current tires are heavy they are more in line with cross country strength tires so i am going to be sure i get something that is a bit heavier than the schwalbe.

anyhow bike is amazing but i am somewhat concerned about the whole tire situation as i don't want to be worried about flatting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    also a question for frizman or whoever can answer, you state you are using the surly dirt wizard but the website i liked at stated it was made for a 50mm rim, the torrent rims are 45mm is there a problem at all with that?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    RS Yari

Are you happy with the Yari? I prefer Rock Shox over Fox and Manitou but this is since I have experience only on Rock Shox and I am able to make service by myself.

Scott don't have telescopic seat post, and maybe the FOX 32 is lighter as the Yari (35mm chassis)
    Hello, that´s a good point. I guess that explains some 500g of the weight difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    also a question for frizman or whoever can answer, you state you are using the surly dirt wizard but the website i liked at stated it was made for a 50mm rim, the torrent rims are 45mm is there a problem at all with that?
    It's a bike. 5mm won't matter.

Rippin da fAt
    Most 50 mm rims are 45 internal measurement 50 outer. 2.8 and 3.0 are very happy living on em...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    It's a bike. 5mm won't matter.
    i would have to disagree, i hear 5mm makes a big difference yeah that was kind of a dumb question!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got in a full ride today on my "HOME" trail, wow this bike is awesome! I got close to my top speeds from my Insurgent and am not that far from the highest mph i put in on my n3 when i had it.

i mounted up the Dirt Wizards and I can definitey say they are way more aggressive than the nobby nik. i am using this bike for somewhat aggressive riding so this tire is a huge step up, yeah it is heavy but once the bike gets going it is so solid. in the end i made the following upgrades to the bike:

sixc 35-800mm carbon bar
    ergon carbon pro saddle (on sale @ universal so i gave it a try, seems pretty comfortable)
    spank spike pedals
    easton havoc stem 50mm
    Dirt Wizard tires-Tubeless, i didn't know this but WTB makes a specific rim take for the i45, seems to work really well
    Shimano Front Rotor
    sensus grips

anyhow again i am so impressed with this bike, i hope it is just that it is new but i have not wanted to ride my insurgent.....kind of an expensive dust collector right now!

i was a little hesitant to hit some of the drops on the trail today that land into ricks and roots but beyond that I was keeping my lines pretty close to the insurgent lines, straight through everything, unreal a hardtail can just rip like this.

i am also impressed with the yari. i have a fox 36 w/avalanche cart on my evil but so far this yari seems close to the real deal.

so that is about it, if you are reading this thread trying to decide if you should buy on i hope this helps!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Great write up! Did you pay full sticker price for the bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Great write up! Did you pay full sticker price for the bike?
    sadly yes as no one would discount it and most didn't have it or couldn't get it and i called every dealer, i didn't pay sales tax though so i saved about 200.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How are people finding the 160mm rotor on the 7.2? I notice that the Scott Scale 720 and Cannondale Beast of the East 3 both have a 180mm rotor up front. Considering the improved downhill ability of these bikes, wouldn't it be better to have a 180?

Rippin da fAt
    How are people finding the 160mm rotor on the 7.2? I notice that the Scott Scale 720 and Cannondale Beast of the East 3 both have a 180mm rotor up front. Considering the improved downhill ability of these bikes, wouldn't it be better to have a 180?
    Converting the front to 180 is inexpensive. Prolly less than 50 bucks.
    I have 160mm Hopes on my fatty that will throw you over the bars nicely...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Converting the front to 180 is inexpensive. Prolly less than 50 bucks.
    I have 160mm Hopes on my fatty that will throw you over the bars nicely...
    Yeah I'd have to factor that in but I guess it's relatively inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah I'd have to factor that in but I guess it's relatively inexpensive.
    i am somewhat particular about my brakes and though i have a 180 on the front i have to say i am really surprised how much power these brakes have. have saints on my insurgent and early in the ride these give them a run for their money. saints of course done fade and seem to get stronger as you descend more but so far these are pretty good and powerful.

Rippin da fAt
    Looking at the price differences between models may make it another option. Also depends on what component groups are on each as well.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Bought my 7.2 on Friday and rode all weekend. I am fairly new to the sport and quite honestly my skills were holding me back much more than my comfort level was. This bike helps mask some of the skill deficiencies I had when it comes to technical terrain, so I have enjoyed being "able" to hit the trails that most people ride for much longer than I before they feel comfortable on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Norco Torrent-torrent.jpg

Took mine out today for the first time, amazing bike, i am blown away by the capability.

I did rip a hole in the sidewall of my rear tire, I am wondering if anyone has found a more robust option to replace the schwalbes.

Rippin da fAt
    Maxxis is offering a few options with EXO, Schwalbe offers the NN with SnakeSkin. The stock tires on your Torrent are not SnakeSkin.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post

Views:	5010 
Size:	490.6 KB 
ID:	1071869

Took mine out today for the first time, amazing bike, i am blown away by the capability.

I did rip a hole in the sidewall of my rear tire, I am wondering if anyone has found a more robust option to replace the schwalbes.
    surly dirt wizards! i have the 7.1 and that tire ripped and i ripped the snakeskin on ride 2. read through this thread and you will find the same thing talked about.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Looking at the bikes available to me, the Torrent 7.2 looks the best bet. It's several pounds heavier than the Scott Scale 720 Plus though.

mtbr member

The Torrent 7.2 doesn't normally come with Snakeskin version Nobby Nic which is a tougher, but as kenwood72 & thumper pointed out, still vulnerable tire. Honestly, I'm surprised they destroyed their Snakeskins, but one thing I've learned from MTB travels is to never doubt the terrain of unknown locations.

Personally I removed my OEM Performance tires and installed my aftermarket Trailstar Nobby Nics Snakeskin tires because of their improved grip and better overall stability in faster corners for the low pressure I like to run. I still find them harsh, and slow (Trailstar doesn't exactly help there), but it's the best I've got for the weight I'm willing to run. I have ordered a Rocket Ron PaceStar Snakeskin for the rear to hopefully improve speed.

mtbr member

New Suntour fork is in

New fork has arrived and is installed. Supposedly this fork has upgraded internals as a result of a rash of reliability issues. Not sure exactly what changed besides the decals but I'll take it out tomorrow to see.

Norco Torrent-newfork_zoom.jpg

Props to FullCycle.ca for getting her done. My loaner fork was close to dying with increased stiction and loud knock on rebound - likely due to the rebound knob falling off.

mtbr member

I just noticed your 7.2 Torrent has a Rockshox Yari fork that is normally spec'd on the higher end 7.1 Torrent. Was it sold that way or did you upgrade?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'd be tempted to get the Rocket Ron 2.8 which come with tthe Scott 710 Plus, supposedly much faster rolling with a squarer edge.

Rippin da fAt
    The Torrent 7.2 doesn't normally come with Snakeskin version Nobby Nic which is a tougher, but as kenwood72 & thumper pointed out, still vulnerable tire. Honestly, I'm surprised they destroyed their Snakeskins, but one thing I've learned from MTB travels is to never doubt the terrain of unknown locations.

Personally I removed my OEM Performance tires and installed my aftermarket Trailstar Nobby Nics Snakeskin tires because of their improved grip and better overall stability in faster corners for the low pressure I like to run. I still find them harsh, and slow (Trailstar doesn't exactly help there), but it's the best I've got for the weight I'm willing to run. I have ordered a Rocket Ron PaceStar Snakeskin for the rear to hopefully improve speed.
    I have RR's on the bow and stern of my bike and they accelerate nicely! As a rear you'll find it's gonna be purdy good! If ya wanna sell your OEM tires, pm me.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    I have RR's on the bow and stern of my bike and they accelerate nicely! As a rear you'll find it's gonna be purdy good! If ya wanna sell your OEM tires, pm me.
    Racing Ralph has arrived, 803gr with Snakeskin. Not bad, it's a full 2.9" just like NN when mounted. I haven't hit the trail yet but it felt fast on gravel.

I'd love to sell you the Performance tires but they're great for winter where the supple sidewall works better on hard-packed snow.

mtbr member
    I've just had one ride, but a quick update on the new Raidon fork.

It seems like one of the internal changes might be a larger air chamber? It felt like it took more pumps to change pressure, and ramp-up is much more linear. I blew through all 120mm of travel off a small drop at 90psi, that never happened on the previous fork. I'm up to 95psi now.

Rebound knob is longer, and stiffer to turn with less tactile 'clicks'. Change to rebound feels less distinct than before.

Rippin da fAt
    Racing Ralph has arrived, 803gr with Snakeskin. Not bad, it's a full 2.9" just like NN when mounted. I haven't hit the trail yet but it felt fast on gravel.

I'd love to sell you the Performance tires but they're great for winter where the supple sidewall works better on hard-packed snow.
    Can't blame a bloke for tryin! I find the various offerings with reinforced sidewalls to be dead and will not even use em on my trials bike.
    Thank you tho'.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    First ride on my 7.2. Fun bike, need to work on tire pressures tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i recorded my fastest time ever on the local trail yesterday on the torrent, beating my times on my evil insurgent and nomad 3. i did make another upgrade though dt swiss 350s w/54 point ratchet and dt swiss 551 rims hand built by the best wheel builder around!

anyhow i have to post some pics soon, love this bike.

Rippin da fAt
    kenwood72's hooked!
    Good time out there when you finally get comfortable enough to go wide open throttle. The performance of + is amazing, indeed.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i recorded my fastest time ever on the local trail yesterday on the torrent, beating my times on my evil insurgent and nomad 3. i did make another upgrade though dt swiss 350s w/54 point ratchet and dt swiss 551 rims hand built by the best wheel builder around!

anyhow i have to post some pics soon, love this bike.
    How are those wheels treating you?

mtbr member
    So I recently swapped out the rear tire from the OEM Nic to a 27.5 x 3.0 Rocket Ron. ... Bike rolls quicker now too.
    Good suggestion Mr. Bric!

I installed a RR on the rear and on my local loop I knocked a little more than 7 minutes off my previous best of 1:12.

Despite having Snakeskin casing I found the RR to be a little more supple than my Nobby Nic Snakeskin - more flex due to the smaller knobs? The RR felt more like the OEM non-Snakeskine 'Performance' Nobby Nics in fact - so I removed my front Trailstar Nobby Nic and remounted the original front tire. Perfect match.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How are those wheels treating you?

pretty awesome so far, i also changed the rotors to shimano ice tech center locks, huge difference in braking power and what seems to be a lot less fade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuts View Post
    Nice! I like the matching seatpost collar. Keep us update on your thoughts.

That looks like Canmore AB?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuts View Post

Norco Torrent-uploadfromtaptalk1464661386434.jpg

I know this isn't a torrent but I have been ridng my Sasquatch for summer duties. Measured a 66.5 degree head angle. Torrent looks very similar - this thing rips.
    Last edited by crankpuller; 05-31-2016 at 07:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice! I like the matching seatpost collar. Keep us update on your thoughts.

That looks like Canmore AB?
    Yup. Between Canmore and Banff

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Curious - what was your previous bike for comparison?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    66.5? stock geo chart is 68, no?
    2018 RSD Middlechild

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

I've been getting loud knock on rebound right at the beginning of the stroke as well. Only when unloading the front rapidly like you said. Something internally seems loose. I have a Fuse, but I assume the Raidon's are the same. I was unsuccessful convincing my LBS the issue is with the fork. They jumped right to loose head set I planned to upgrade forks anyway, just not after 100 miles...

Moderator Moderator
    Well, I wondered how long it would be before something catastrophically failed. My rear wheel has completely come apart. I broke a spoke on my second to last ride before the wheel failed, replaced the spoke and tensioned the wheel. Next ride out I've got a handful of broken spokes and I'm walking it out of the bush. I've got a set of Sapim Force butted spokes on the way to rebuild the wheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well, I wondered how long it would be before something catastrophically failed. My rear wheel has completely come apart. I broke a spoke on my second to last ride before the wheel failed, replaced the spoke and tensioned the wheel. Next ride out I've got a handful of broken spokes and I'm walking it out of the bush. I've got a set of Sapim Force butted spokes on the way to rebuild the wheel.
    at the high end this is a 2400 dollar bike, though that is a lot of money it has become the low end for a bike purchase. with that come parts that are not gonna last and machine made wheels can go quick in my experience.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How much sag ya guys running pike and number of tokens? My 130 pike is stiff. Trying 2 token today and 15% sag.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How much sag ya guys running pike and number of tokens? My 130 pike is stiff. Trying 2 token today and 15% sag.
    Do you mean Yari?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well I got a pike, but Yari is real similar.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well I got a pike, but Yari is real similar.
    Ah I see, I'd imagine very few here have upgraded their fork to a Pike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ha ha. Well I got a Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead. Just was curious what you guys are running on torrent.

mtbr member
    I've got a set of Sapim Force butted spokes on the way to rebuild the wheel.
    Are you going to stick with the stock hub? The pawls on my hub occasionally skip when I apply heavy torque. I'm nursing it until this offseason when I'll upgrade to XD body and higher engagement, either I9 Torch (120 POE!) or a more affordable Woven hub.

Besides that my new fork is working well (still thinking of a Yari this offseason) and the Racing Ralph rear tire has been a perfect fit for my needs. Damn it likes to rolllll!

Norco Torrent-torrentposing.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone bought anything from them the Torrent 7.1 is pretty cheap
    https://www.sell-to.com/Bike/Mountai...4102455169bfb0

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by YORK25 View Post
    Has anyone bought anything from the Torrent 7.1 is pretty cheap
    If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by YORK25 View Post
    Has anyone bought anything from them the Torrent 7.1 is pretty cheap
    Scam

Moderator Moderator
    Are you going to stick with the stock hub? The pawls on my hub occasionally skip when I apply heavy torque. I'm nursing it until this offseason when I'll upgrade to XD body and higher engagement, either I9 Torch (120 POE!) or a more affordable Woven hub.
    Yes, keeping with the OEM hub for now. Its been doing well for me so far. Might do a nice set of handbuilt wheels over the winter when I'm using the fat bike more and the Torrent not so much.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Heya. Does anyone know if Norco sells just the Torrent frame alone?

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by LithiumMetalman View Post
    Heya. Does anyone know if Norco sells just the Torrent frame alone?
    No mention of it on Norco's website.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    That's a bummer! Be lovely to build frame up.

Rippin da fAt
    Werd! It's always a pleasure to select the parts you really want and build it up and take it for that first ride.
    Doctor recommended...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast