Nobby Nic 650b 2.8" on a regular 650b pike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Nobby Nic 650b 2.8" on a regular 650b pike?

Has anyone tried this so far? I'm really tempted to try this set-up but I don't want to blow cash on something that might not work.

If anyone has tried it, how's the clearance?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Nobby Nic 2.8 with normal Pike 150Attachment 1052413
    Easton 30mm id rim.
    Nobby Nic 650b 2.8" on a regular 650b pike?-1052413-27-5-tires-2_8.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Hmm, it might work in other words. The two problems I see is if I would get tire rub when riding harsh (compressing the tire) and if the arch would get clogged up if running with a marsh guard?

I run with a 29 id rim. (Specialized enduro 650b)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Excellent. Thanks for this. It's been something I've been wondering, and have asked in a couple threads.

I'd like to give a NN 2.8 a try on front, just to see. I'd be putting it on a Nox Farlow (29mm ID).

Looks like it's at least possible. Maybe not ideal but at least possible. Height wise I don't think it's an issue. From what I know they're the same height as taller standard 27.5 tires like the WTB Vigilante and TK 2.4 (I've run them both).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the photo. Just got a Mojo 3 frameset but want to keep my current Pike.

Professional Noob
    Can you take an actual width measurement of the 2.8 in mm?
    => CannondaleExperts.com <=
    All the parts and accessories your Cannondale ever needs

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I just received my 2.8" NN and it measured 67mm at its widest (outer knobs) on a 29 id rim. The clearance is fine, can't wait to smash some trails with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alker View Post
    I just received my 2.8" NN and it measured 67mm at its widest (outer knobs) on a 29 id rim. The clearance is fine, can't wait to smash some trails with it.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
    Will do!

I measured the outer diameter to approximately 720mm, hence it falls just between a 2.3" 650b and a 2.3" 29er, i.e. a semi-650b+

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Will do!

I measured the outer diameter to approximately 720mm, hence it falls just between a 2.3" 650b and a 2.3" 29er, i.e. a semi-650b+

Taller than I would have thought, and taller than what Ibis was saying.

What psi were you measuring it at?

And what rims (I know you said 29mm) are you using?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Taller than I would have thought, and taller than what Ibis was saying.

What psi were you measuring it at?

And what rims (I know you said 29mm) are you using?
    Specialized rims, I don't know what psi, I always go on feel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Specialized rims, I don't know what psi, I always go on feel.
    Sorry, last question. Did you get the Trailstar or Pacestar version?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Sorry, last question. Did you get the Trailstar or Pacestar version?

I think it was the trailstar, i.e. the non-race version. Slightly heavier and more adjusted to regular trail riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    How does it handle? I really want to try one one the front but I'm not sure if the extra volume is enough to make it grippy better than a verystar magic Mary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'll put it to test tomorrow. I started biking back when 3" Gazza where the rave, but I was just a kid back then so I couldn't afford a bike which could run those tires. I think getting the 2.8" NN is a way of reminiscing days of the past. I feel nostalgic just looking at the bike now, so I don't even care if the tire sucks.

On a serious note, worst case scenario it's a slightly slower version of the regular NN which can be circumvented anyway by increasing tyre pressure (thus removing the perk of larger volume tyres) but as a bonus you would get a slightly larger outer diameter, hence you get a pseudo 28 inch wheel front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Ok, so now I've tested it on a 20mile ride (ca 30km) of varied riding from DH to gravel. I had a significant increase of traction and noticeable reduction of trail feedback (what could be expected from a larger volume tyre). Though, it came at the price of me having to be more active in my riding style when it got fast and tight. Due to the increased traction and contact patch I felt a form of "pseudo-gyroscopic effect" as a result of the tire wanting to move in the direction of its momentum. This will take some time getting used to, but the advantages was obvious and climbing was certainly easier. This could be credited partly to the increased traction but also due to the fact that I ran semi-high pressure and thus had an increase of wheel diameter resulting in a "faux 28er". What I can say is that running this tire it became obvious why semi fatties will never see any competitive use within downhill or enduro, but if you are just riding to have fun with the occasional strava hunt I can highly recommend giving a fatty up front a chance.

So in short:

Pros:
    1. I felt the rollover effect, and according to strava it was significant. I placed second best on most of my ordinary trails without putting in max-effort (heck, I was bonking early on due to energy drinks in the morning and all you can eat burger/fries the night before). I spent less time battling roots and smaller rocks which bugs down the speed.
    2. The reduction of feedback from the trail was nice on my wrists. You could still feel the trail, but a significant portion of those microstutterings were muted since they didn't get past the balloon tire.

Cons:
    1. When the trail turned fast and twisty you could feel the downside of requiring you to use more force to point the front where you want it.
    2. Noticeable slower on asphalt and gravel (this could be argued is not a true con as I'm evaluating a terrain tire after all, but most of us still want to ride from home to our trail so there's no denying that gravel/asphalt are still incorporated into our runs)

I hope this was of any help to those of you who might be interested in trying a semifatty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    alker
    Thanks for the update.
    Could you post some pics?

Do you think you're going to keep running it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I had the chance to push the tire a bit harder today as I was group riding with people of similar (or higher) level of fitness and skills. The tire really shone today as it was semi humid with loads of stones and roots, the increased rollover was a welcome help in keeping up. I also felt that I was getting more accustomed to the changes in riding style and within a few rides more I wont even notice it. I'll try to update with some pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it through my phone.

In regards to the future of this tire, I will certainly keep it. The small number of cons are outweighed by the fun factor and added quality of life on the trails. On my local trails the terrain is fairly flat so there are seldom more than 20m of vertical climbs or downhills. As a trail tire in non-mountain landscapes they feel awesome, but I wouldn't take them to a bike park to do proper downhill riding.

Now, don't get me wrong. If you want to push hard on the trails and really focus on improving as a rider, semifatties wont cut it, I'd rather look for a 2.3". If I went on a bike holiday to a bike park to push myself on DH I wouldn't touch anything above 2.3-2.4 with a 10 foot stick. This tire is slower and more cumbersome to turn, which makes it really nasty when it gets really fast and twitchy, aka techy downhills. But as I said, this tire is for the rider looking to have fun on the local trails. I'd trade "optimal riding set up" for "more fun" any day of the week, which is why I choose to stick to the semifatty on the local trails. Besides, I can swap back any time I want.

Rocks belong
    Now, don't get me wrong. If you want to push hard on the trails and really focus on improving as a rider, semifatties wont cut it, I'd rather look for a 2.3". If I went on a bike holiday to a bike park to push myself on DH I wouldn't touch anything above 2.3-2.4 with a 10 foot stick. This tire is slower and more cumbersome to turn, which makes it really nasty when it gets really fast and twitchy, aka techy downhills. But as I said, this tire is for the rider looking to have fun on the local trails.
    Yep. Well said. Glad to hear someone else agrees as I had similar experiences in spirited riding on B+ wheels and tires (especially B+ in the front).

Ultimately, I decided that B+ is too fat to rip and to skinny to float. But does it have a purpose? Sure! Which highlights your next comments:

I'd trade "optimal riding set up" for "more fun" any day of the week, which is why I choose to stick to the semifatty on the local trails. Besides, I can swap back any time I want.
    Swap tires on a fun focused, local trails hardtail? Definitely
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Yep. Well said. Glad to hear someone else agrees as I had similar experiences in spirited riding on B+ wheels and tires (especially B+ in the front).

Ultimately, I decided that B+ is too fat to rip and to skinny to float. But does it have a purpose? Sure! Which highlights your next comments:
    Is it fair to say one's individual pace would determine this?? ie an avg rider who takes on some DH @ an avg pace may feel it serves them well(thinking outloud)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I posted this on the similar thread on pinkbike but thought I'd add it here too ...

Thanks for your postings on this.
    I just ordered the trailstar version. Want to give this a try up front.
    Will be a few weeks before I can run it though as I still have 23mm ID wheels (Mavic Crossmax).
    I'm still deciding on what carbon rims to get. Do you think 28mm internal is too narrow for these?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I posted this on the similar thread on pinkbike but thought I'd add it here too ...

Thanks for your postings on this.
    I just ordered the trailstar version. Want to give this a try up front.
    Will be a few weeks before I can run it though as I still have 23mm ID wheels (Mavic Crossmax).
    I'm still deciding on what carbon rims to get. Do you think 28mm internal is too narrow for these?
    I'll put my answer here as well since I want to provide as much info as I can in this thread so that it can be of as much help as possible to other people who might want to give this a try.

"Since 29 id worked fine without any problems I don't see any issue running a 28mm id. I ran 2.5" downhill tires on Sun eq31 (23.5mm id) and those tires were subject to much greater forces (higher speeds, rougher terrain, and I was heavier back then at 210lbs vs 175 now) and I never had any issue."

In regards to trailstar vs pacestar, this is what I found:
    PaceStar-Triple-Compound is optimized for MTB Race, All Mountain and Tour. Super-fast compound with a combination of low rolling resistance and durability. The tire shoulders were made appreciably softer to improve handling on rough terrain.

TrailStar-Triple-Compound is optimized for Enduro and Freeride. Triple Nano compound was unsuitable performance-wise and the rolling resistance of Gooey Gluey was too high. TrailStar has substantially more grip, better damping and handling control. Nevertheless, the compound is not overly heavy, making it suitable for climbing too.

Due to them both having the same weight (860gr), I see no reason to go with RaceStar unless you live in a part of the world where the trails are hardpacked and dry most of the time. At most, I could consider a RaceStar in the rear but since I live in Northen Europe the trails are seldom fully dried out, hence I'd sacrifice some rolling resistance for the better grip provided by the trailstar compound.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think further evidence the NN 2.8 is essentially another 27.5 tire, as opposed to a dedicated mid-fat or plus sized:

Ibis is now offering the HD3 in Boost, and saying it will allow for running the 2.8 sizes.
    Good write up here under the Wheel and Tires section

Mojo HD3 | Bikes

Think it also means that for a lot of us with Boost frames we can already run the 2.8 in rear.

mtbr member
    The NobbyNic 2.8 is visually much bigger then say the new Maxxis DHF 2.5 WT
    on a Derby rim after plenty of time to allow for growth (there was a lot) it measured out to 73mm at the knobs and a solid 71mm at the casing
    It is real close on a 2015 27.5 Pike.. After a weekend of riding it didn't rub. But, it was close. it would be hard to measure 4mm at the closest point along the arch. For sure it's a no-go in muddy conditions. One thing to keep in mind is that mountain bike tires at the level of technology level available today do not run any where near as true as a well built wheel. Some are much better then others. But, I'm lucky to find one that will be within 3-4mm of spinning true. A light rub may not send you over the bars.. But, it will over time cause damage
    Just keep in mind there is risk there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-img_0794.jpg  

Nobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-img_0795.jpg  

Nobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-img_0796.jpg  

Nobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-img_0719.jpg  

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    The NobbyNic 2.8 is visually much bigger then say the new Maxxis DHF 2.5 WT
    on a Derby rim after plenty of time to allow for growth (there was a lot) it measured out to 73mm at the knobs and a solid 71mm at the casing
    It is real close on a 2015 27.5 Pike.. After a weekend of riding it didn't rub. But, it was close. it would be hard to measure 4mm at the closest point along the arch. For sure it's a no-go in muddy conditions. One thing to keep in mind is that mountain bike tires at the level of technology level available today do not run any where near as true as a well built wheel. Some are much better then others. But, I'm lucky to find one that will be within 3-4mm of spinning true. A light rub may not send you over the bars.. But, it will over time cause damage
    Just keep in mind there is risk there.
    Damn sweet knolly, but as you state it is a very snug fit.

nvphatty
    I think further evidence the NN 2.8 is essentially another 27.5 tire, as opposed to a dedicated mid-fat or plus sized:

Ibis is now offering the HD3 in Boost, and saying it will allow for running the 2.8 sizes.
    Good write up here under the Wheel and Tires section

Mojo HD3 | Bikes

Think it also means that for a lot of us with Boost frames we can already run the 2.8 in rear.
    It's a 'PLUS' tire in the truest sense but yes also another offering. It can be used in some normal(non boost) 27.5 frames / forks as well.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 07-02-2016 at 08:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    What is the clearance like on the rear? I know all bikes are different of course, but any rubbing etc?

mtbr member
    Hmm, it might work in other words. The two problems I see is if I would get tire rub when riding harsh (compressing the tire) and if the arch would get clogged up if running with a marsh guard?

I run with a 29 id rim. (Specialized enduro 650b)
    That will absolutely work. I run a 650b dhf 2.3 on a 26er fox 36float with about the same clearance for two years now in gnarly north shore conditions with no problems with same clearance.
    " I don't ride park"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mglder View Post
    What is the clearance like on the rear? I know all bikes are different of course, but any rubbing etc?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/knolly/endorp...s-1004623.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    alker:

So now that you've had a couple of weeks with the NN 2.8, how are you liking them, vs standard tires?

I've ordered trailstar front and pacestar rear, and waitsing for my wider wheels to arrive.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    If you have any pics of the sizing with regards the 2.8 Nic up front and the 2.3 Hans Dampf out back that would be great. How close in size are they?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Nobby nic 2.8 on regular 27.5 frame & fork

So, I decided to put the nobby nic 27.5, 2.8 on a spectral 6.0, 2015 with a fox 34, 130-160 talas.
    the rims are 30mm wide internally and 35 externally, superstar components.
    There is a lot of Clearance even for mud days in the front (even for a 3.0 tire).
    I also put the wheel with the tire in the rear but it was marginally OK.
    So, the numbers are: contact area, 67mm
    from the end of the rim (sideways) to the end of the tire: 61mm.
    I will also post photos to clear things up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-image.jpg  

Nobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-image.jpg  

Nobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I bet the new Flow EX MK3 you would have more spacing, the rim is not as tall. Thats what I am waiting for.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I've spent most of the spring on the NN 2.8" on a regular Pike in front of a Mojo HD3 here in Colorado. I ride the looser/rougher/steeper options around Nederland mostly.

My take:

Plus tires are awesome

The NN is great as a general all around tire, but when pushed in the loose it's unpredictable and looses traction too easy. It doesn't drift nearly as well as a 2.35 Hans Damph. I think it's due to the edge knobs being staggered and far apart. If you look at the edge knobs on a 2.35 NN they are spaced so you can really lean into them. On the 2.8 NN you have one edge knob low, then the next one is high, and then low again. Nothing to really dig as you really lean it over.

After a few high speed slide outs it's coming off. Unfortunately, I can't find another 2.8" tire that has edge knobs that I like similar to the Hans Damph . May need to go back to the 2.35", until I get a true Boost fork

For reference the 2.35 NN, notice how the edge knobs are closer to even height, not up and down like the 2.8. No idea why they did this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-schwalbe-nobby-nic-29-x-2.35-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Kaj; 08-03-2016 at 02:01 PM.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

superstar wheelset supra 35/30

I bet the new Flow EX MK3 you would have more spacing, the rim is not as tall. Thats what I am waiting for.

the flow rim is 29 internally 32.3 ext.

Flow MK3

Also the superstar components apart from being 35 ext/ 30 int. cost 380 euros.
    the flow cost 679 dollars almost 613 euros, which is big difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    I've spent most of the sprint on the NN 2.8" on a regular Pike in front of a Mojo HD3 here in Colorado. I ride the looser/rougher/steeper options around Nederland mostly.

My take:

Plus tires are awesome

The NN is great as a general all around tire, but when pushed in the loose it's unpredictable and looses traction too easy. It doesn't drift nearly as well as a 2.35 Hans Damph. I think it's due to the edge knobs being staggered and far apart. If you look at the edge knobs on a 2.35 NN they are spaced so you can really lean into them. On the 2.8 NN you have one edge knob low, then the next one is high, and then low again. Nothing to really dig as you really lean it over.

After a few high speed slide outs it's coming off. Unfortunately, I can't find another 2.8" tire that has edge knobs that I like similar to the Hans Damph . May need to go back to the 2.35", until I get a true Boost fork

For reference the 2.35 NN, notice how the edge knobs are closer to even height, not up and down like the 2.8. No idea why they did this.
    You'd have to be the first person I've heard of that likes the Hansen dampf side knobs, usually they tear straight off

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    i am waiting for a rocket ron 2.8 for the rear wheel. So as soon as i receive it i will post photos for clearance and functionality matters.
    My bet is if i can convert a standard 27.5 frame to a plus without problems and have all the pros of a pseudo plus bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    A bit more anecdotal data for those wondering about converting their 27.5 to 27.5+: I just put NN 2.8's on my standard 27.5 dual position Pike. I'm using Ibis' 741 wheels (41mm outer, 34mm inner). Even with those wide wheels, clearance is more than ample. Clearance was also surprisingly good on the back end of my 2014 GT Sensor Carbon, same wheel/tire. After spending multiple days on 27.5+ bikes, I was clear about preferring the riding experience to my 27.5x2.4's. I hated the idea of having to drop several grand on a new bike just to make the tire change. After reading some peoples experience with going + on standard 27.5 bikes, I rolled the dice and ordered the tires. I was thrilled to see that the "conversion" on my bike took simply changing the tires! I hope others wanting to make the change have such good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    good not agree more!!!
    although they give us new rear (148x12, 157x12) and front dimensions (15x110, 20x110)
    the spending is too much just to having bigger tires.
    So, new wider rims, and new tires.
    And keep the money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So alker, did you also fit the 2.8 NN to the rear on you Enduro 650b? Or did you just test this out on the front Pike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The fun and speed converge around the true 2.6-2.8" measurement I believe. So going a new frame and fork when a 2.8 front tyre and the venerable WTB Breakout 2.5 (
    2.6) will fit and work well on nearly all 27.5 bikes with most modern 30mm ID rims seems pointless. The only plus bike I see as being a measurable step forward is the new switchblade so you get dedicated 1X short stays, big tyre clearance and extra wheel strength with proper wide hubs to just inch it over any decent modern enduro/all mountain bike with carbon wheels and plus tyres slapped on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    The fun and speed converge around the true 2.6-2.8" measurement I believe. So going a new frame and fork when a 2.8 front tyre and the venerable WTB Breakout 2.5 (
    2.6) will fit and work well on nearly all 27.5 bikes with most modern 30mm ID rims seems pointless. The only plus bike I see as being a measurable step forward is the new switchblade so you get dedicated 1X short stays, big tyre clearance and extra wheel strength with proper wide hubs to just inch it over any decent modern enduro/all mountain bike with carbon wheels and plus tyres slapped on.
    I agree which is why I view the plus bike and boost push as a complete industry cash grab. I wonder if those two tires mount on ARC 35 and fit on my Trance? If not an ARC 30 should do. I know the NN 2.8 clears my XF Sweep fork from a pic posted on here.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    how about running a NN 2.8 650B front and a NN 2.25 650B rear, wonder how that would work? I would run them on my liteville 301. would the the 2.8 fit on Flow EX 25.5 ID? thank you

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    I've spent most of the sprint on the NN 2.8" on a regular Pike in front of a Mojo HD3 here in Colorado. I ride the looser/rougher/steeper options around Nederland mostly.

My take:

Plus tires are awesome

Buy the WTB Breakout 2.5. I've tried a lot of tires and I feel it's the best tire made for the conditions you described. I always buy the tough and grippy version for front and rear.

As far as plus bikes go, I've really enjoyed riding them but haven't gotten to ride one hard and I too have concerns about unpredictability and washouts from the large tires.

I still think the right Enduro bike is going to have 2.5-2.65 width tires with rims around 30 mm ID. That's going to be the sweet spot for hauling *ss.

And I hate riding on 2.2-2.35 tires, I think it's quite awful in my conditions.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePodraza View Post
    how about running a NN 2.8 650B front and a NN 2.25 650B rear, wonder how that would work? I would run them on my liteville 301. would the the 2.8 fit on Flow EX 25.5 ID? thank you
    it seems on the surface folks are experimenting / using different tire sizing although i'm not sure of their results. Yes the 2.8 will fit the Flow however not the optimum rim width for this particular tire so expect it to not have the support if it were a i30-35mm rim.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004
    Question about the Nobby Nic Trailstar compound... Do the knobs rip off like the Trailstar version of the Hans Dampf? I am debating which compound to purchase and having owned the Han Dampf in the past... I'm a little leary of the Trailstar compound but do like the additional traction it delivers...

Kaj
    mtbr member
    You'd have to be the first person I've heard of that likes the Hansen dampf side knobs, usually they tear straight off
    They do on the rear, but the last 2 Hans Damph tires I ran up front(2015/2016) really lasted. It shocked me too, but they really lasted --as a front. On the rear, tear city...
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Buy the WTB Breakout 2.5.
    Thanks, I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good. I just put a Magic Mary up front in 2.35", so the Breakout might be next
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-img_0005-2-e1393632366928.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

2.8 tyres (nobby nic & rocket ron) on standard 27.5 frame

So, this is the complete set up.
    the clearance at the rear is marginal but everything works OK (no touch on the frame).
    the traction is improved very much, the confidence and the speed.
    it is a small expenditure to enjoy such a big benefit, comparing with a new 27,5 plus bike.
    Some peopleNobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-img_2306.jpgNobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-img_2307.jpgNobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-img_2308.jpgNobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?-img_2309.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2306.jpg 
Views:	740 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	1085906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2307.jpg 
Views:	1335 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	1085907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2308.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	1085908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2309.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	1085909 will say it is not the same considering the new hubs 148 or 157 x12 for stiffness, but there is always the option of buying a 29er and have both the best of the two.

nvphatty

27.5<>27.5+ conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Paulm1 View Post
    So, this is the complete set up. The clearance at the rear is marginal but everything works OK (no touch on the frame). The traction is improved very much, the confidence and the speed.
    it is a small expenditure to enjoy such a big benefit, comparing with a new 27.5 plus bike.
    Some people will say it is not the same
    I too went this route with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I must say that the fox fork 34 has much more clearance than the pike, considering the photos posted.
    I would like to here some other views though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Stopping by to answer those who wanted me to make an update. I ran the NN up front up until may and I really enjoyed it, but at the beginning of may I had a massive otb (I suspected the tight clearance might have been involved) which resulted in a concussion and a torn ear requiring stitching and glueing on 6 places. Anyway, had to sit out riding for 2 weeks and trail riding for 6 weeks. When I came back to riding I wanted to return to 2.3 as I was heading for a bike park vacation. As I mentioned earlier, I found the fatty really fun on my home trails, but the NN ain't no dh tyre, so I went with the tried and tested spesh butcher front (dhf ripoff). As others have mentioned, the NN has bad side traction which makes it unsuitable for leaning hard on things like dh courses and it tracks too hard in a front direction which is disastrous on techy dh tracks. I stay true to my old review, the tyre is better suited for having fun on the home trails rather than pushing hard in the bike park.

For downhill or pushing hard in general I'm more inclined towards the new "semi semi fatty" tyres which lies somewhere around 2.5-2.6
    A 2.6 specialized hillbilly or 2.5 minion dhf would be better suited for going hard as it is way more confidence inspiring in corners and when leaning hard. I might switch back to NN 2.8 during autumn but I'm tempted to try it in tubeless this time, or I'll just go for the fatter downhill tyres since I'm riding local downhill tracks weekly now as compared to this spring when I was exclusively doing trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Nobby Nic 650b 2.8&quot; on a regular 650b pike?

Quick question guys, I have a 2016 650b Yari not boost. Will i be able to fit a 27+ tire on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Anyone know when the 2.6 will hit shelves? Its on their site

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PinoyMTBer View Post
    Quick question guys, I have a 2016 650b Yari not boost. Will i be able to fit a 27+ tire on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2.8 Nobby Nic and 2.8 Maxxis Reckon will fit with minimal clearance. May have issues in mud.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'll add my data point.

27.5 2.8 NN on a fox 34 non-boost front and 2014 GT Sensor frame seems to work well. The rear is a bit tight, in that you might want to tape your internal chainstay/seatstay for protection just in-case there would ever be enough deflection or mud to cause some rubbing. You're going to want the dish on your wheel to be bang on. I'd say I have 5-6mm clearance per side using 40mm outer/35mm inner rims.

One ride review is that it felt slower, maybe I was just having a slow night, but I was really suffering and getting dropped by people that I usually keep up with. Comparison was with a 2.35HD Trailstar/2.35 NN pacestar setup.

Traction, in particular on off camber root situations was definitely improved, but in near perfect conditions this isn't something I was lacking on the old setup. Steering seemed more or less the same, I missed one tricky turn I normally get with regular tires. The small (maybe none after tire sag is considered) change in BB height had me not bang a pedal once during the ride, which is about 2 pedal smashes better than normal. Overall not enough ride time to really say anything truly useful.

I hope that with lower temperatures and greasier trail conditions coming in fall that the tires will start to shine and be worth the weight and friction penalties. Normally as Canadian winter comes closer I move to running a sticky DH tire up front to try to keep some grip on the cold slippery rocks. It'd be nice not to have to suffer that weight penalty.

Update: I've come to the conclusion that on 35mm or 40mm External width (so ~30 and 35mm internal) rims this setup in the back of the GT Sensor is a no go. The tire is too close to the chain for comfort and occasion contact is made. Same for tire to chainstay contact. Everythings fine until the terrain gets a bit more serious, then there is chainstay rub and unpleasant drivetrain noise. Will try a 2.6" Nobby Nic next.
    Last edited by dberndt; 10-24-2016 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Honestly I feel like where these tyres shine is in the very loose over hard dry conditions littered with rocks. My Nobby Nic is almost worn out and I will be swapping it for a Minion 2.8. The Nic I have found on good dirt (that I rarely get to ride but have tested the tyre on) doesn't really hold anything over a regular size DH tyre which bites into the softer soil. The rollover in the rocky areas is fantastic though and I found on my regular rocky dry trails it pedals better than anything else I've tried as it conforms to all the little bumps, on smooth trails or roads it's noticeably sluggish. I'm hoping the Minion 2.8 with bigger side biters might be the best of both worlds offroad and excel on dry loose dirty and better clay and loamy soils, but I expect it to suck on road (not an issue for me really on this bike).

In summary I think many people expect too much from a tyre and want something that works great everywhere when realistically that will never happen. We're getting closer to that dream though.

mtbr member
    What is the minimum inner rim width to use this 2.8 tire ?

(i'm looking to the lowest 650b wheel price to upgrade my 29 bike).
    Specialized Carve Pro 2012

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Used with 29mm ID WTB rim, measurements are here, fitting the regular Pike just fine (see at the end):

https://youtu.be/jwzE084uHOo
    Yeti SB100
    Commencal META HT AM

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    2.8 Nobby Nic and 2.8 Maxxis Reckon will fit with minimal clearance. May have issues in mud.
    Thanks for the info, I just placed the order on a pair of NN 2.8 and Easton Arc 40 rims. All for $215 shipped! Finger are crossed that they'll fit!