mtbr member

New 29x2.8" tyres - Interesting...

Just seen this on Instagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Interesting indeed! I've been waiting for that size to appear, hopefully more will follow.

Ambassador of Chub
    I'd be on those like a puppy on a pork chop. Curious to hear more details.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    With a full suspension that has enough clearance to run a 29x2.8, a desire to always ride the biggest tire that fits, and no 29x2.8 on the market... this makes me moist.

mtbr member
    Ha ha, nice drdocta!

hispanic mechanic
    Now this makes me want to build up a set of 29+ wheels for my fat bike.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

WNC Native
    New 29x2.8" tyres - Interesting...-mcfly.jpg
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mnt bike laws of physics
    Thinking this could make a good rear tire.
    I wonder how tough "tough" is.

mtbr member
    Looks fun, gotta get a bike to run it on.

Ride Everything
    Waiting on my review samples. Gonna be fun on the front of my Jeff Jones.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    It might make a nice companion to a 3" Minion DHF?...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    subscribing, just what I need for the rear as I have a slight rub with the chup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ooohhh I wonder if these will fit in the RS1 fork on my XC bike...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Oh be nice if this fits on my 29r Stumpjumper. Love the 27.5+ tire but 29 rim even better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bbunnys View Post
    Oh be nice if this fits on my 29r Stumpjumper. Love the 27.5+ tire but 29 rim even better.
    What year Stumpy do you have? I have a 2017 and the Nobby Nic 29 x 2.60 fits with plenty of space.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Purchased it 3 weeks ago brand new. So should be 2017 model. I thought you could only get that tire in 2.50.
    If I can get 2.60 would be great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bbunnys View Post
    Purchased it 3 weeks ago brand new. So should be 2017 model. I thought you could only get that tire in 2.50.
    If I can get 2.60 would be great.
    The Nobby Nic comes in 29 x 2.25, 2.35 and 2.60. The 2.60 isn't that much bigger than the 2.35 but it is a bit. There's a whole long thread on it here: http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...a-1020942.html.

Schwalbe have just revised their compounds so the NN will only be available in one compound in the future (currently there are two compounds available). I ordered my from Bike24 in Germany - took a couple of weeks to arrive. TrailStar for the front, PaceStar for the rear: https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...1000,2,103,212

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I just put a 2.5 DHF on a 35mm internal width wheel on the back of my '16 stumpy. The outside of the tread blocks measured 2.53x and it looks like I've got a little more wiggle room.

It's a damn shame all these 2.6-2.8 tires are coming out on July, I've got my trip to Moab planned for July.

Big wheels keep on rollin
    saw these in the flesh at Sea Otter, Tim said they are more focused on bikepacking with lower knob height than the Chunk tire. He said should be available to buy in July of this year.
    Hoping to get a set for my new Meriwether which should be finished in late June.

mike

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcd View Post
    The Nobby Nic comes in 29 x 2.25, 2.35 and 2.60. The 2.60 isn't that much bigger than the 2.35 but it is a bit. There's a whole long thread on it here: http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-pl...a-1020942.html.

Schwalbe have just revised their compounds so the NN will only be available in one compound in the future (currently there are two compounds available). I ordered my from Bike24 in Germany - took a couple of weeks to arrive. TrailStar for the front, PaceStar for the rear: https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...1000,2,103,212
    My 2.6 Nobby Nics were 2.58 / 2.63 at the sidewalls on i35s last I checked. It's basically a true 2.6, although unfortunately the tread is a bit less. And I think that's the general consensus on the thread.

Anyway, I am enjoying my 2.6s, but am up for a 2.8. Just can't believe we still can't buy one.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Ooohhh I wonder if these will fit in the RS1 fork on my XC bike...

Given that 3.0's fit just fine I think you might be OK.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Deep into July and still no McFly available yet on the Terrene website. Still waiting patiently.

I just hope these are close to spec'ed weight when they finally show up. My 27.5 Chunk was >150g heavier than spec.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Deep into July and still no McFly available yet on the Terrene website. Still waiting patiently.

I just hope these are close to spec'ed weight when they finally show up. My 27.5 Chunk was >150g heavier than spec.
    Same here, trying to wait patiently. I've almost pulled the trigger on a 60 TPI Dirt Wizard a couple of times........ The weight difference is probably the only reason I haven't already.

Also I emailed Tim asking for an ETA update last Tuesday....... still no reply.
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 07-19-2017 at 07:10 AM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

WNC Native
    Got a reply from Terrene via FB, still anticipating having them by the end of the month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Got a reply from Terrene via FB, still anticipating having them by the end of the month.
    It's basically the end of the month now or in a few days. If they don't have a solid date now I am not holding out hope that they will have them by the end of the month. As soon as they are available I will be ordering at least two.

WNC Native

mtbr member
    Somebody hurry up and get one of these and post measurements! Looking for something for the back of my bucksaw

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I know nothing of Terrene as a tire manufacturer... Are they good and reliable? If this is a good company to buy from I am going to be on these suckers like white on rice. 29x2.8 is a niche that I've always longed for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Terrene tires are very nice. I run their Wazia's on my fatbike, and will get some Chunks for my plus bike soon. Good quality products, and really nice people that run it.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Just ordered a McFly. It will go on a 36mm internal rim when it arrives. I will post up some numbers after I get it set up.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Just ordered a McFly. It will go on a 36mm internal rim when it arrives. I will post up some numbers after I get it set up.
    Hi Mr. America1976,

Subscribed for the info. Thanks for posting the data!

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Was your order a pre-order or a "real" order? If pre-order, did they mention an expected ship date? If normal order, where from? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Crossing fingers that these fit on a Fuel Ex with i29

Should be fairly rounded with decent enough support and the volume might just fit with slightly less than perfect clearance. I rarely ever see mud on my bike so I don't need a huge amount of clearance.

mtbr member
    Was your order a pre-order or a "real" order? If pre-order, did they mention an expected ship date? If normal order, where from? Thanks.
    Pre-order with no mention of ship date.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Pre-order with no mention of ship date.
    I just received an email update on mine saying was shipped with fedex tracking. Will see how long it takes to get to NC!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSsteel4life View Post
    I just received an email update on mine saying was shipped with fedex tracking. Will see how long it takes to get to NC!
    Unrelated to this thread my tire needs changed from at some point in the future to an immediate need. I had to cancel my order the other day, and go in a different direction. I got the refund notice today. Sounds like they are shipping now. I will likely end up with one or two of these in the future. Looking forward to hearing others thoughts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    With a full suspension that has enough clearance to run a 29x2.8, a desire to always ride the biggest tire that fits, and no 29x2.8 on the market... this makes me moist.
    Which bike is this?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by FourthOf5 View Post
    Which bike is this?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Fuel Ex 2018. Lots running 2.6 tires at the moment and claiming to have enough clearance to run bigger. I'll find out eventually if that's true.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sounds like they are shipping now.
    Yep, their website no longer shows pre-order. You can put it in your cart and check out, so looks like these are shipping.

I have access to a QBP account, so can save substantial $$ if I wait until they get inventory there. Hopefully the wait will only be a few days.

just ride
    Yep, their website no longer shows pre-order. You can put it in your cart and check out, so looks like these are shipping.

I have access to a QBP account, so can save substantial $$ if I wait until they get inventory there. Hopefully the wait will only be a few days.
    That is correct - they are in stock and shipping, and all pre-orders have shipped last week.

We do not distribute through QBP. Any bike shop can order direct from Terrene, and we anticipate stock to be at our distributors BTI, Olympic and Downeast within the next 30 days.
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hey chequamagon - do you have any UK distributors currently? Keen to get my hands on the Mc Fly in 29 x2.8!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Grant View Post
    Hey chequamagon - do you have any UK distributors currently? Keen to get my hands on the Mc Fly in 29 x2.8!
    Also interested in trying these out in the UK!...

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Grant View Post
    No, not yet. The UK is really hard because of the lack of price protection and controls, so its a bit of a landmine for smaller companies to step into until a bit more established.
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just placed an order. Will mount up to a Nox Kitsuma when it arrives and hopefully get some rides in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    i have a chunk up front and a mcfly in the rear, 27.5x3" up front and 27.5x2.8 rear. i really like the mcfly as a rear tire. it doesnt have the grip compared to the chunk but i dont expect it to. the chunk doesnt roll as well as the mcfly. it still climbs quite well, corners better than expected, and of course rolls well. they both measure full width on appropriately sizes rims. the chunk measures slightly over 3" on an i45 and the mcfly measures slightly over 2.8" on an i45 rim. id use i40s but thats what i had. the mcfly is not squared off (knobs still stick out slightly more than the casing) on an i45 but that is deff the max rim width id use.

really glad Terrene made both of these tires. theyre every bit a good as anything else on the market imo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mounted up last night haven't had a chance to ride yet. This is what they measure up on the Nox Kitsuma. Coming from a 2.3 Magic Mary and 2.5 Minion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 29x2.8" tyres - Interesting...-mcflytire-01.jpg  

New 29x2.8" tyres - Interesting...-mcflytire-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kungchild View Post
    Mounted up last night haven't had a chance to ride yet. This is what they measure up on the Nox Kitsuma. Coming from a 2.3 Magic Mary and 2.5 Minion.
    Thanks for posting pics. Have you had a chance to ride these, and to re-measure after stretching?
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    Thanks for posting pics. Have you had a chance to ride these, and to re-measure after stretching?
    I've ridden the tire twice haven't remeasured yet. First impression is a nice rolling tire that feel faster than the Magic Mary. According to Strava about 5 secs quicker on a few DH segments but overall similar pace for the total ride. Running 12psi my weight is 155

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    @kungchild, did you weigh them?

I looked at a Chunk for my 27.5x3 bike, and it was >200g heavier than spec, so I passed. Makes me worry about potential weight of these.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    @kungchild, did you weigh them?

I looked at a Chunk for my 27.5x3 bike, and it was >200g heavier than spec, so I passed. Makes me worry about potential weight of these.
    @inertiaman sorry I didn't. I also have the "tough" version for riding in tahoe.

mtbr member
    I've just had it confirmed that the 29x2.8's will fit inside a Pivot Switchblade frame so I think I'll be trying some of these pretty soon! Damn this rubber obsession I have!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Did anyone try this 29 x 2.8 on the Trek Fuel yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I talked to a Trek employee last night about my 2017 Fuel EX8 27.5+. He said that 29x3.0 tires fit, but not in the back. Didn't recommend mixing 2.6 and 3.0 tires for some reason.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Looking at the clearance on my 2018 ex 9.8 and my rough estimate it looks like on these stock i29 it would be a fairly rounded profile but it should fit in the rear with a meager amount of mm clearance.

Not sure if I want to try and make it work as I would be more comfortable with a tad bit more clearance or making it fit on say an i40. Of course like you mentioned it would clear the fork just fine and dandy.

Maybe a good mate to a rear 2.6 NN? I am weird and don't ever like to mix and match tire sizes even if I know that it can and will produce favorable results.

Anywho 1000000 Internet cool points to the first person to try these babies out on a 17 or 18 Fuel Ex and post the results! I'm always hungry to ride the biggest wheel that fits and a 29+ with 130mm front and rear suspension is kinda one of my wet dreams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    Looking at the clearance on my 2018 ex 9.8 and my rough estimate it looks like on these stock i29 it would be a fairly rounded profile but it should fit in the rear with a meager amount of mm clearance.

Not sure if I want to try and make it work as I would be more comfortable with a tad bit more clearance or making it fit on say an i40. Of course like you mentioned it would clear the fork just fine and dandy.

Maybe a good mate to a rear 2.6 NN? I am weird and don't ever like to mix and match tire sizes even if I know that it can and will produce favorable results.

Anywho 1000000 Internet cool points to the first person to try these babies out on a 17 or 18 Fuel Ex and post the results! I'm always hungry to ride the biggest wheel that fits and a 29+ with 130mm front and rear suspension is kinda one of my wet dreams.
    I致e got the fat b nimble 29x3 which are about a 2.8 on my 17 ex8. Front has plenty of room. Rear just barely clears the drive side chainstay. These are on i35 rims.

The Terrene 2.8 should be close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Would anyone be able to let me know the OD on these tires on a 29+ rim, from top of tread to top of tread after they're mounted on rims? Thinking about seeing if I can fit them on my Scott Spark 720 plus. Tried 3.0 chupacabras, the front fits, but the rear is about 1/4" too big, BUT, the chupa's are really big tires, with an OD around 31.25". I've got a trek stache as well so I'm seeing if I can do a wheel swap and use the bigger wheels in some situations if I want to.

Here's how far I got with this experiment: https://imgur.com/a/BRPpJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryawesome View Post
    Would anyone be able to let me know the OD on these tires on a 29+ rim, from top of tread to top of tread after they're mounted on rims? Thinking about seeing if I can fit them on my Scott Spark 720 plus. Tried 3.0 chupacabras, the front fits, but the rear is about 1/4" too big, BUT, the chupa's are really big tires, with an OD around 31.25". I've got a trek stache as well so I'm seeing if I can do a wheel swap and use the bigger wheels in some situations if I want to.

Here's how far I got with this experiment: https://imgur.com/a/BRPpJ
    Here are some images of a very unscientific approach at measuring a McFly and a Dirt Wizard(for comparison) on 36mm internal rims. I did have Chupacabras on this bike at one point, and they rubbed the chainstays frequently. The McFly never touches it. New 29x2.8" tyres - Interesting...-tire1.jpgNew 29x2.8" tyres - Interesting...-tire4.jpgNew 29x2.8" tyres - Interesting...-tire3.jpgNew 29x2.8" tyres - Interesting...-tire2.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Here are some images of a very unscientific approach at measuring a McFly and a Dirt Wizard(for comparison) on 36mm internal rims. I did have Chupacabras on this bike at one point, and they rubbed the chainstays frequently. The McFly never touches it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	1167906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire4.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	1167907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire3.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	1167908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire2.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	1167909
    Awesome. Thanks for those pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Anyone tried these on i29 rims yet? Any issues?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MDouglass View Post
    Anyone tried these on i29 rims yet? Any issues?
    Or i30's?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Just replaced my rear wtb ranger 3.0 with a Terrene McFly tough casing. Volume wise, a lot narrower, but that tire is so much faster and much better grip. Seemed fine at 15Lbs pressure which is only .5lbs than I run in the ranger. Initial impression is very favorable and I知 pretty impressed. My only comparisons are rocket Rons and WTB rangers and this tire seems so much better.

I wish the Chunk was available in 29+ for the front. I知 probably going to run a Minion upfront. Currently have a Ranger on the front as well, but with the itty, bitty side lugs, it washes out way too easily.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    Just replaced my rear wtb ranger 3.0 with a Terrene McFly tough casing. Volume wise, a lot narrower, but that tire is so much faster and much better grip. Seemed fine at 15Lbs pressure which is only .5lbs than I run in the ranger. Initial impression is very favorable and I知 pretty impressed. My only comparisons are rocket Rons and WTB rangers and this tire seems so much better.

I wish the Chunk was available in 29+ for the front. I知 probably going to run a Minion upfront. Currently have a Ranger on the front as well, but with the itty, bitty side lugs, it washes out way too easily.
    Interesting, as I知 using Rangers, and have been meh. What diameter rim are you using?

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Interesting, as I知 using Rangers, and have been meh. What diameter rim are you using?

29 Duroc 40 with the McFly. 27 Duroc 50 with the Ranger. McFly diameter just slightly more than the WTB.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    29 Duroc 40 with the McFly. 27 Duroc 50 with the Ranger. McFly diameter just slightly more than the WTB.
    Cool...I知 in the process of building up a set of 29er Duroc 40痴, and may give the McFly痴 a look.

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Subscribing

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Kenebeck up front, burly, fast, not too heavy. McFly out back is a nice fast tire, tough in the tough casing, mine is getting worn out, but still rides great.

My light wheels are running Ikon 2.6 60tpi back and Rekon 2.6 60tpi up front.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    XL Fezzari Signal Peak 29/27+ (building)
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)