Minion dilemma 27.5+- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Minion dilemma 27.5+

So for my Santa Cruz Chameleon I have decided to go with Minions in 27.5+.

Ive decided to go with the DHF front and DHR II rear.

My dilemma is what size should I go with. Ive narrowed it down to 35mm rims with 2.6 tires or 40mm rims with 2.8 tires.

I ride mostly Ozark trail type stuff. No snow or nothing to extreme.

Opinions?

mtbr member
    Go with DHRII both front and rear. The DHF doesn't grip as well as the DHRII. 40mm rims with the 2.8 are superior. The 2.8" actually measures around 2.65" width with a 38mm wheel. The 2.6" measures more like 2.4" which doesn't feel like a plus tire to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeners View Post
    Go with DHRII both front and rear. The DHF doesn't grip as well as the DHRII. 40mm rims with the 2.8 are superior. The 2.8" actually measures around 2.65" width with a 38mm wheel. The 2.6" measures more like 2.4" which doesn't feel like a plus tire to me.
    Sounds good. Which carcass would be best for my use with the DHR II?

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyena74 View Post
    That would be based on your riding style as well as terrain, features etc. If you're riding rocky, rooty with a rowdy style, EXO with 60 TPI, light riding style with great finess, 120 TPI.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Doer of Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeners View Post
    40mm rims with the 2.8 are superior. The 2.8" actually measures around 2.65" width with a 38mm wheel. The 2.6" measures more like 2.4" which doesn't feel like a plus tire to me.
    Is this unique to the 27.5 Minions? My DHF 29x3.0 on a 35 ID rim is spot on 3.0" and my 29x2.5 DHF on the same rim was spot on 2.5" .... granted, I am talking DHF and you are talking DHR II as well as the difference between 27.5 and 29 but I'm surprised your sizing is that far off.

mtbr member
    I'm a heavy guy and really like the 60 TPI in the rear, especially with a multi link suspension. I like using 120 TPI in the front on my bikes. I'll sometimes run a 120 TPI in the rear if I'm using a single pivot with higher ratios. EXO on both front and rear and tubeless. 3C is nice for grip in front as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    That would be based on your riding style as well as terrain, features etc. If you're riding rocky, rooty with a rowdy style, EXO with 60 TPI, light riding style with great finess, 120 TPI.
    Yes. agreed, see above.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperUltraKel View Post
    Is this unique to the 27.5 Minions? My DHF 29x3.0 on a 35 ID rim is spot on 3.0" and my 29x2.5 DHF on the same rim was spot on 2.5" .... granted, I am talking DHF and you are talking DHR II as well as the difference between 27.5 and 29 but I'm surprised your sizing is that far off.
    Yes. The Minions in 27.5+ annd 26+ both measure a bit smaller than labeled on the rim choices I mentioned. Those are the measurements I attained first hand.

Rippin da fAt
    What is really amazing is the fact that we can take a large number of tires, same make, model and size in billboard print on the sidewalls and like lightning, ever repeat the same measurement in height or width. Tolerance is not high on the list with the factory.

On the 3C, multi compound front... Well, it has its place but once a tire is worn through the "good stuff" and into the "meh stuff" it is just that. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to choose casing, EXO, Non EXO, tread pattern and rubbuh compound along with 2 or 3 compound flubber?

Post #4, I left out rider and equipment weight along with bicycle weight since those are obvious variables that one needs to add to the list for decision making.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Bottom bracket height MIGHT be a concern with 2.6, but I can't say that with certainty. I'm about to switch from 3.0's to 2.8's on my 27.5+ Chameleon, and I don't think pedal strikes will be a big concern (hope I'm right), but you might want to check with others who have gone the 2.6 route before making a final decision. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Maxxis cult follower
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    What is really amazing is the fact that we can take a large number of tires, same make, model and size in billboard print on the sidewalls and like lightning, ever repeat the same measurement in height or width.

Yes, sometimes it's within 0.05 inches, and sometimes it's off 0.1 to 0.2 inches. Rim width affects it a little bit but not more than 0.1 inches. Making it tubeless fills out the width better than putting a tube in or widening the rim (at least for the Rekon, not as much for the DHF).

DHF 27.5 x 2.5 measures 2.45 inches with tube
    DHF 26 x 2.8 measures 2.60 inches with tube or tubeless --- my favorite fun tire
    DHF 26 x 2.7 measures 2.45 inches with tube
    DHF 27.5 x 2.8 measures 2.75 inches tubeless --- my tallest tire at 28.4 inches and boy is it fast down 5-10% stuff
    DHR II 26 x 2.8 measures 2.60 inches with tube (same as DHF 26" above, and same as WTB Ranger tube or tubeless)
    Rekon 27.5 x 2.4 measures 2.20 inches with tube, 2.30 inches tubeless
    Rekon 27.5 x 2.6 measures 2.40 inches with tube, 2.50 inches tubeless
    40% of the population doesn't even understand what a dictatorship is. Or worse...far worse...they don't care.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm about 220 lbs and will use the bike for moderate level trail use. Like I said, its a hardtail.

Ill do the 3C compound, but still undecided about the TPI.

Doer of Awesome
    I'm about 220 lbs and will use the bike for moderate level trail use. Like I said, its a hardtail.

Ill do the 3C compound, but still undecided about the TPI.
    Do they even offer 3C in 60TPI?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Do they even offer 3C in 60TPI?
    I'm not sure...I assumed so?

Doer of Awesome
    I thought maybe you had some secret source 😉 Iíve only seen it on 120 .... but I could be totally wrong and welcome correction from those more in the know

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I thought maybe you had some secret source 😉 Iíve only seen it on 120 .... but I could be totally wrong and welcome correction from those more in the know
    So, at my weight and riding style, would the 120 TPI work, or would I be better going with the 60 TPI?

Doer of Awesome
    It absolutely could work .... its just a matter of what you are looking for out of it. 60 TPI Dual will be a bit stiffer and longer wearing and 120 will be more supple and have better grip. Personally, I run a 120 3C DHF in the front and a 60 Dual DHF in the rear and it works well for me. I've also run 60 both front and rear and it worked well also. As much as I would like to think I am so in touch with all my components and can tell you all the minute differences between each little thing, I can't really tell that much difference between them. I feel like a 1 PSI change in tire pressure has more of a noticeable feeling to me than the difference between the 120 and 60. But that is just me personally. I know there are lots of people out there who absolutely could tell a difference and have strong preferences one way or the other. Which is why tire selection and pressure selection is such a personal decision and maddeningly so. As much as we may want to defer to other's advice or suggestions, it ultimately comes down to what feels right for you ... and there is no one who can make that decision for you.