Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Plus

mtbr member

Jones Plus

has arrived......

Jones Plus-box.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sweet. I've been waiting to read a ride report on this bike.

mtbr member
    Just a date with a can of Weigle's tonight!

Jones Plus-frame.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Just a date with a can of Weigle's tonight!
    Ah, but she looks good standing there.

It aint gonna ride itself
    Which size did you get, and why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MauricioB View Post
    Which size did you get, and why?
    After speaking to Jeff numerous times, I settled on the 25" due to my preference for larger frames and being 6'3 with long arms and legs.

mtbr member
    Got some assembly time this afternoon. Have to pick up some spacers from the LBS. Fork clamp tolerance on installation is very tight. I put a 5mm on the bottom to increase BB height but I'm sure I'll tweak it upon further assembly. Maybe 2.5 top and bottom and go from there. Front wheel will be built Monday. I went with the WTB Scrapers and Chronicles with a Hope 40pt rear hub and I'll be using the Jones 135/142 front hub. It'll be a 1x10 with a 32t NW oval ring, 11-36 cassette, XT clutch RD with some nice XT cranks and a trusty BBG bashguard. BB7's with a 203/180 combo for stopping. Threw my Eriksen Sweetpost on there as well.

Jones Plus-chassis.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Got some assembly time this afternoon. Have to pick up some spacers from the LBS. Fork clamp tolerance on installation is very tight. I put a 5mm on the bottom to increase BB height but I'm sure I'll tweak it upon further assembly. Maybe 2.5 top and bottom and go from there. Front wheel will be built Monday. I went with the WTB Scrapers and Chronicles with a Hope 40pt rear hub and I'll be using the Jones 135/142 front hub. It'll be a 1x10 with a 32t NW oval ring, 11-36 cassette, XT clutch RD with some nice XT cranks and a trusty BBG bashguard. BB7's with a 203/180 combo for stopping. Threw my Eriksen Sweetpost on there as well.
    Sounds like a downright honest build. I'd be doing nearly the same thing except I wouldn't have the Sweet Post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Sweet. I've been waiting to read a ride report on this bike.
    So have I...nice to see this bike has a dedicated thread now.

That looks like it will be a sweet build, looking forward to hearing what you think of it. Mine will be similar, but I'm going for offset double cranks and XT brakes.

mtbr member
    Just waiting for the LBS to finish building my front wheel and for my chainring to arrive.

"The waiting is the hardest part" - Tom Petty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just waiting for the LBS to finish building my front wheel and for my chainring to arrive.

"The waiting is the hardest part" - Tom Petty.
    I know the feeling, it took longer to liberate the frame and parts from the bureaucracy of customs than it did for it to be shipped from the other side of the world.

Anyway, we got one built up yesterday just in time to take it for a ride. It's surprising how it still feels like a Jones yet it's quite different to the spaceframe. It's definitely not slow handling (fortunately!), and it isn't quite so abrupt going over bumps. It seems to have lots of traction and seems to climb very well-not sure how much of that is the frame vs the plus tyres though. It seems to pick up and carry speed downhill pretty well too, though I haven't decided how much I trust the tyres yet...

I'm looking forward to learning more about the bike over the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by morphosity View Post
    I know the feeling, it took longer to liberate the frame and parts from the bureaucracy of customs than it did for it to be shipped from the other side of the world.

Anyway, we got one built up yesterday just in time to take it for a ride. It's surprising how it still feels like a Jones yet it's quite different to the spaceframe. It's definitely not slow handling (fortunately!), and it isn't quite so abrupt going over bumps. It seems to have lots of traction and seems to climb very well-not sure how much of that is the frame vs the plus tyres though. It seems to pick up and carry speed downhill pretty well too, though I haven't decided how much I trust the tyres yet...

I'm looking forward to learning more about the bike over the next few weeks.
    Any further comments, you've had it for a couple of weeks now

Did you get the 24" or 25"?

mtbr member
    I'm very curious to hear how those long chainstays affect the ease to lift the front.

How long is the seat tube on the 25" model?
    Last edited by seat_boy; 03-28-2015 at 05:52 AM.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I'm very curious to hear how those long chainstays affect the ease to lift the front.

How long is the seat tube on the 25" model?
    On my 25" frame, with the EBB at 6 o'clock, seat tube is just over 20".

The trails are melting by me so I have to wait for them to dry a bit before I get out. From just cruising around the neighborhood, it handles very nicely. Not as easy to pop the front as my Krampus but I still need to get used to it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_uk View Post
    Any further comments, you've had it for a couple of weeks now

Did you get the 24" or 25"?
    Haha yes, I've been meaning to write a bit more about this but I thought I'd wait until after the weekend so I can get a bit more time on the bike and confirm a few of the things I've been thinking about it.

As far as the bike itself goes, I'm really enjoying it. I can see why it would be a great bike for a long distance ride, but it's also great fun as a trailbike. It's surprisingly maneuverable for what is a pretty big bike (though I should probably say that one of the other bikes I spend a lot of my riding time on is a WFO9 which has a pretty similar wheelbase). At the same time it's very stable and confidence inspiring. The wide balance point that Jeff talks about is very noticeable-I'm still getting used to that and figuring out what works best.

The steering is actually pretty light, certainly lighter than a Spaceframe with a fat front. To answer seat_boy's question, I haven't had any problems lifting the front end with the long chainstays-none that I've noticed anyway. The bike climbs very well and rides a lot lighter than it really is.

I got the 24" one as that was what Jeff recommended for me. I'm about 6' tall and really like the fit of the steel Spaceframe-this feels very similar-I have a 70mm stem on both bikes. I might post up a bit more after I've done some more riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morphosity View Post
    Haha yes, I've been meaning to write a bit more about this but I thought I'd wait until after the weekend so I can get a bit more time on the bike and confirm a few of the things I've been thinking about it.

As far as the bike itself goes, I'm really enjoying it. I can see why it would be a great bike for a long distance ride, but it's also great fun as a trailbike. It's surprisingly maneuverable for what is a pretty big bike (though I should probably say that one of the other bikes I spend a lot of my riding time on is a WFO9 which has a pretty similar wheelbase). At the same time it's very stable and confidence inspiring. The wide balance point that Jeff talks about is very noticeable-I'm still getting used to that and figuring out what works best.

The steering is actually pretty light, certainly lighter than a Spaceframe with a fat front. To answer seat_boy's question, I haven't had any problems lifting the front end with the long chainstays-none that I've noticed anyway. The bike climbs very well and rides a lot lighter than it really is.

I got the 24" one as that was what Jeff recommended for me. I'm about 6' tall and really like the fit of the steel Spaceframe-this feels very similar-I have a 70mm stem on both bikes. I might post up a bit more after I've done some more riding.
    Hi so how long is the seat tube on your 24" Jones Plus?

Has anyone got a few more photo's of the Jones Plus...

Just sold two bikes and about to buy a 29+

It's down to a Surly ECR or a Jones Plus?

Kiwi Pete

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    Hi so how long is the seat tube on your 24" Jones Plus?

Has anyone got a few more photo's of the Jones Plus...

Just sold two bikes and about to buy a 29+

It's down to a Surly ECR or a Jones Plus?

Kiwi Pete
    Re. the seat tube length, unfortunately I am away from the bike so I can't measure it directly at the moment. However on Jeff's blog post about the Plus he says that the seat tube on the 24" frame is about 2" shorter than the 25" frame (I think SeaBass_ says that is 20" above). My guess would have been about 18" for the 24" frame before all that, oh well. I can get a more exact measurement in a few days.

There's also a few other pictures on Jeff's blog showing what the standover works out to be which might be useful.

Some images...not just one but two bikes...the black one is mine.

Jones Plus-174_resizedu.jpg

Jones Plus-168_resizedu.jpg

Jones Plus-173_resizedu.jpg

I'm really enjoying the bike, it's a fun ride, which is what a bike should be. It's surprisingly good in tight singletrack (which I know is a hard thing to quantify on the Internet) i.e. doesn't feel clumsy or awkward like some bikes do. It also seems to carry speed well, probably because of the long wheelbase.

mtbr member

Rohloff Plus

Hi Morphosity
    Thanks the pines look a little like the tree's here in Taupo, New Zealand?
    I have just sold two bike's and i'm going to build up a 29+ to ride in the up coming Tour Aotearoa 2016!
    I have cut my list of bikes down to a Surly ECR and the Jones Plus
    I have looked up the Jeff's blog etc, but i'm thinking that i'll be seating on the Top Tube? not over it?

I'm planning to run a Rohloff gearhub, XT brakes, and maybe Tubeless tyres?

By the way you bikes look great

Kiwi Pete

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi Morphosity
    Thanks the pines look a little like the tree's here in Taupo, New Zealand?
    I have just sold two bike's and i'm going to build up a 29+ to ride in the up coming Tour Aotearoa 2016!
    I have cut my list of bikes down to a Surly ECR and the Jones Plus
    I have looked up the Jeff's blog etc, but i'm thinking that i'll be seating on the Top Tube? not over it?

I'm planning to run a Rohloff gearhub, XT brakes, and maybe Tubeless tyres?

By the way you bikes look great

Kiwi Pete
    Thanks the trees are actually reasonably close to Taupo, that picture is at Woodhill. That Tour Aotearoa looks like an awesome ride, it would definitely be a very cool thing to do.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either the ECR or Plus-both bikes seem like they would be well suited to a long distance ride like that. I'd buy the one that fitted me best.

That sounds like it would be a good setup-I would use tubeless tyres for a ride like that because I think they noticeably improve rolling resistance and the sealant should deal with small punctures.

mtbr member
    Hi morphosity
    Thanks for that in your photos I noticed the saddle is lower than in most photos of a Jones Plus! How high do you run with saddle? Just trying to get a better idea of fit for me.
    The ECR is short top tube for me and I would have to run a M size ECR so start to like a Jones Plus more, as I can get my saddle back more than with a ECR.

Kiwi Pete
    Last edited by NZPeterG; 04-02-2015 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi Pete,

I'm still working on the setup for the bike, but I found the saddle height in that picture to work well on singletrack. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what that height is as I wasn't particularly scientific when I set it up. If I was going to be riding a lot of gravel I'd probably want it to be 10 mm or so higher.

mtbr member
    Well after riding a Demo Surly ECR
    It's time to order a Jones Plus

Kiwi Pete
    Last edited by NZPeterG; 04-03-2015 at 05:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    He was keen i called him too, so eventually i did. Well worth it. Skype is great for such occasions
    Last edited by martin_uk; 06-06-2015 at 12:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi thanks martin_uk
    I just phoned Jeff this morning and waiting on an email of the Plus with the saddle setup at my high.
    We will see ;-)

Kiwi Pete 😈

mtbr member

Good job! New Jones Plus Coming

Hi All,
    Well I tryed emailing Jeff a number of time's and posted here about not working out if a Jones Plus would work for me?
    Jeff and a few of you said to phone him! so last Saturday I phoned Jeff (Yes that was Easter Friday! in the USA) Jeff was so helpful asked a number off things and said i'll set up my (Jeff's Jones Plus) to my saddle placement and bar's at the closest placement. Take some photo's and email them to me.
    Well thanks to Jeff for his time in setting up his bike and taking the photo's I have ordered a Jones Plus 24" in Blue
    How I just have to wait

Here are a few photo's that Jeff emailed me.

Kiwi Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jones Plus-jones-plus-1.jpg  

Jones Plus-jones-plus-2.jpg  

Jones Plus-jones-plus-3.jpg  

Jones Plus-jones-plus-4.jpg  

Jones Plus-jones-plus-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey there Pete- how was the riding different? I am wanting one of the two and cant ride a Jones Plus. I demo'd an ECR last weekend and fit me just great. Just trying to get all the info I can. Thanks in advance.....

Timboat

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've owned two Jones bikes and have spoken to Jeff several times. I can't emphasize the importance of actually talking to him. In a world where we tend to shy away from actually verbal communication, Jeff is sort of old school. He'll spend the time with each customer to make sure you are completely comfortable with his product. He WANTS to talk to you.

That's a huge plus for me. He really is invested in his business and never seems "bigger" than the buyer.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timboat View Post
    Hey there Pete- how was the riding different? I am wanting one of the two and cant ride a Jones Plus. I demo'd an ECR last weekend and fit me just great. Just trying to get all the info I can. Thanks in advance.....

Timboat
    Hi timboat,
    I have not rode a Jones Plus yet! have to wait for my Jones Plus frameset to come.
    But for me the ECR is not for me!
    Why?
    Because with the standard offset seatpost and the saddle all the way back, my knees are in front of the pedals.
    Not good for a good bike fitting and when I'm planning to ride over 3000km's in one ride I need a good fit.
    All I can say is phone Jeff ask Questions

Kiwi Pete

Kiwi Pete from the road
    Last edited by NZPeterG; 04-11-2015 at 01:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Trails were finally dry enough to get the Plus for a little 8 mile ride. The Plus rides like no other rigid bike I've ever owned (SIR9, Mukluk, Krampus). It's extremely confident in the rough stuff and corners beautifully. It jumps nicely as well and only shows its weight a bit in the climbs but that's more early season me than the bike.

I wound up setting it up as an SS with an Absolute Black 32t ring and a 20t out back, Thomson Dropper with a Brooks B17 (Comfortable out of the box!), BB7's, WTB Scrapers with a Hope 40pt rear hub and Chronicles, and Ergon's. Had a lot of fun on it. I did get a lot of weird looks at the trailhead when I was rolling by!

Jones Plus-jplus1.jpg
    Last edited by SeaBass_; 04-13-2015 at 07:06 PM.

mtbr member

Good job!

Looking Good

NZPeterG

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My lbs had a 25" black in stock and I couldn't resist and had them put together a spec and start the process. The only thing I'm worried about is the sizing. I'm just at 6ft with a 32 inseam... The lbs had another jones (not plus) in stock and based it off of how I fit on that bike. Based on what I've read the cockpit is more upright so maybe that won't be the issue but I'm wondering what else to look out for as far as fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilutedq View Post
    My lbs had a 25" black in stock and I couldn't resist and had them put together a spec and start the process. The only thing I'm worried about is the sizing. I'm just at 6ft with a 32 inseam... The lbs had another jones (not plus) in stock and based it off of how I fit on that bike. Based on what I've read the cockpit is more upright so maybe that won't be the issue but I'm wondering what else to look out for as far as fit.
    I'm 6'2 with a 34 inseam and while the 25" looks big, it doesn't handle like a big bike. you really sit more "in" the bike rather than on it. I took mine on some techy stuff today for the first time and what I found is that for me, riding in the Northeast, it would be best to set the EBB at 12:00 and run a bashguard as I was getting a bunch of pedal strikes on rocks and chunking my 32t chainring going over logs. Jeff Jones advised running 170 cranks but I don't think the 5mm would make much of a difference for me. I'm running a 60mm stem with Loop bars, you might want to start with a 50mm, or order a 24" frame.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Are there shops w/Jones bikes in them? I thought it was almost a go see Jeff in OR thing or hope to get the right one by dialing it in over the phone.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    There are dealers.

mtbr member
    There are dealers.
    There are 3 that carry framesets - Cali, Illinois, and Maryland.

Dealers

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yes I went looking this morning already.... East Coast, south, west coast and mid west... nothing in the rockies. That might be a good place to put one. I will give Jeff a call and see what could be done. Then again, a good trip w/my fatty out to OR might be a good thing to do as well~! Would love to see the beach w/that. Thx for the replies :-)

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm New Jones Plus Here

Well today my new Jones Plus 24" frameset came in the post
    How the fun of building start's

Kiwi Pete

mtbr member
    Well today my new Jones Plus 24" frameset came in the post
    How the fun of building start's

Kiwi Pete
    Got your can of Frame Saver?

mtbr member

Good job!

Got your can of Frame Saver?
    Hi Thanks I have taking home my Tectyl 506 HD (frame save)
    Plus ordered a Headset too today
    Was going to order a Silver headset but one of the supplyer had a black one for sale at 70% off wholesale so black it is (last set)

Kiwi Pete

mtbr member
    Hi Thanks I have taking home my Tectyl 506 HD (frame save)
    Plus ordered a Headset too today
    Was going to order a Silver headset but one of the supplyer had a black one for sale at 70% off wholesale so black it is (last set)

Kiwi Pete
    Needed a bit of patience setting up the truss fork but everything else was cake.

However, if you are not going to run a front derailleur and want to plug the hole in the bottom of the BB shell where the cable guide goes, either install the guide anyway or use a shorter screw. If you use the supplied screw and tighten it all the way down, it will dig into the EBB and prevent you from adjusting it. I found that out the hard way!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So I actually had a chance to talk w/Jeff on his 29+ bike the other day. Great guy, even though on the busy side of things right now- kind enough to take the time to talk. He answered all questions, but for the folks that have had a chance to own/ride one, do you sit in the bike (like the ECR that I rode) or ride more on top of the bike (like the Krampus)? I will probably pull the trigger on one eventually, but wanted to know everyone's thoughts. Just had ACL surgery last Thursday and need a carrot/light at the end of the tunnel for later this summer. I told him that I would like to come out to OR and ride one (and a few of his others) and see. Thanks in advance for your input~!
    Tim

mtbr member
    I have a Krampus HT and a 25" Jones Plus. Totally different posture and ride but both are awesome. You sit in the Jones in a more upright position but it rips. Its the most capable and comfortable rigid bike I've owned. The Krampus is more of a full out attack, destroy all obstacles in its path beast, especially with a 130mm Float 34. The Jones feels like you should be moseying along with a cigar in your mouth but you're actually ripping along down the trail as it laughs at rocks that get in it's way. The Krampus is more of knife in your teeth as you sound your barbaric yawp and jump over boulders type of ride. Make sense?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    SeaBass, did you not know all of us JJ riders smoke cigars all the time we ride and leave others in our smoke and dust
    Ridin ridin ridin..... raw ti!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Seabass- Thanks- w/news like that might be out $4K sooner than thought~! Jeff said he is out of the 24" and would have to wait for the next production- but at 5 10-11" and shrinking I will still probably go out and ride one to see for sure.... Muchos again~!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joop View Post
    SeaBass, did you not know all of us JJ riders smoke cigars all the time we ride and leave others in our smoke and dust
    You sure that's a cigar?

mtbr member
    Needed a bit of patience setting up the truss fork but everything else was cake.

However, if you are not going to run a front derailleur and want to plug the hole in the bottom of the BB shell where the cable guide goes, either install the guide anyway or use a shorter screw. If you use the supplied screw and tighten it all the way down, it will dig into the EBB and prevent you from adjusting it. I found that out the hard way!
    Hi Thank's
    I'm going to leave the screw out so I have a drain hole at the BB.

Just oiled the inside of my frame and fork today how drying

Kiwi Pete

mtbr member
    Update
    Frameset oiled
    Headset fitted
    Forks fitted
    Ordering more parts

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Jones Plus-dsc_0090.jpg

I put my Jones Plus together last Friday and left Saturday for a 70 mile overnighter with a group of friends. I was thoroughly impressed. The bike was everything that Jeff said this bike would be. It just gobbled up singletrack, all loaded up, it was amazing. I can't wait to spend more time on it unloaded (I did get several rides on a demo rig at my LBS before I ordered it).

I came from a Krampus, but I never got along with it. The Jones is so stable without being slow and I prefer the ride of the Jones to the Krampus. Loved the low bottom bracket, I had it slammed all the way down and didn't have any issues with pedal strikes. I always felt I was way up in the air on my Krampus.

I set it up 1x with a 26t front and 11-36t cassette, which is how I set my Pug up. In the future I will probably go to a 2x with a 20/33t, because as I was getting tired I was wishing for a lower gear.

The WTB Scrapers\Chronicles are stout and super easy to setup tubeless, something I couldn't get to work on my Rabbit Hole\Knard setup.

The bike was easy to build, and I really like the Bushnell Ebb, it was easy to setup and not a single creek even after a very deep stream crossing.

Even though I don't frame saver my steel frames the ED coating is very nice to have.

The TRP Spyre brakes were nice and quiet, I'm glad I went with them over my BB7s. Since the truss fork is so stout I may upgrade to 200mm rotors in the front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Is there some people riding a Pugs and a Jones+ and can explain difference confort and handling?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatalpine View Post
    Is there some people riding a Pugs and a Jones+ and can explain difference confort and handling?
    I had a Mukluk for a couple years before I got the Krampus and then the Jones. They're worlds apart. On the Muk, I always felt shaky on singletrack at speed because the 26x4.0's didn't like to turn. The Jones just rails turns. While both take a bit of effort to get rolling, the Jones carries its momentum much better. Comfortwise, the Jones comes out on top as well. I have a Brooks B17 on mine and it's like an ass hammock - pure bliss. The Jones surpasses the Muk in the Gnar as well, by a large degree.
    Jones Plus-078.jpg
    Name:  jp1.jpg
Views: 7316
Size:  90.4 KB

mtbr member
    I had a Mukluk for a couple years before I got the Krampus and then the Jones. They're worlds apart. On the Muk, I always felt shaky on singletrack at speed because the 26x4.0's didn't like to turn. The Jones just rails turns. While both take a bit of effort to get rolling, the Jones carries its momentum much better. Comfortwise, the Jones comes out on top as well. I have a Brooks B17 on mine and it's like an ass hammock - pure bliss. The Jones surpasses the Muk in the Gnar as well, by a large degree.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	078.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	986338
    Name:  jp1.jpg
Views: 7316
Size:  90.4 KB
    I have a Krampus and 2014 Mukluk. They both rip in singletrack. I will give a slight edge to the Karmpus for overall comfort and ride. When I get the tires on the Mukluk low enough to give me a nice tire squish (about 9 PSI) I get a bit of self steer with the Husker Du's. At 10 PSI on the karmpus with Chupacabras I get zero self steer, and the tires have yet to break loose in a turn.
    The bikes were so similar to me that I converted the Krampus to single speed to make the two different.

mtbr member
    So my wife, who's not the most observant when it comes to my bikes, just saw me pedaling the Jones Plus around in the street with my 5 yr old daughter and asked "Is that another one of your bikes you scavenged from the garbage??"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    In a way, it's a backhanded compliment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatalpine View Post
    I have a Pug and I would say it's dramatically different then the Jones Plus. Considering my Pug and Jones weight pretty much the same and have the same drivetrain, the Jones is a significantly faster and more efficient bike. The Jones is much more capable in the rocky/tech terrain as well.

As for comfort, with the low bb of the Jones and the higher handlebar position I find it much more worthy of long distance rides.

I never really found my Pug all that comfortable for long rides.

mtbr member
    Jones Plus-dsc_0121.jpg

Yesterday's ride. I put my Brooks b17 on the Jones but otherwise it's set up the same as in bikepacking mode. Just a little lighter and faster without the camping gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Stevens View Post
    I have a Pug and I would say it's dramatically different then the Jones Plus. Considering my Pug and Jones weight pretty much the same and have the same drivetrain, the Jones is a significantly faster and more efficient bike. The Jones is much more capable in the rocky/tech terrain as well.

As for comfort, with the low bb of the Jones and the higher handlebar position I find it much more worthy of long distance rides.

I never really found my Pug all that comfortable for long rides.
    Interesting. I tried a Jones [not the Plus] and owned a Pugs.

Liked the Pugs better and found it very comfortable for 10hrs or so a day in the saddle.

Haven't tried the Jones Plus and probably won't get a shot as they are so rare.

Considered going 29+ with the Pugs, but wanted "normal" wheels so built up a Krampus instead.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Interesting. I tried a Jones [not the Plus] and owned a Pugs.

Liked the Pugs better and found it very comfortable for 10hrs or so a day in the saddle.

Haven't tried the Jones Plus and probably won't get a shot as they are so rare.

Considered going 29+ with the Pugs, but wanted "normal" wheels so built up a Krampus instead.
    I should clarify that the fit of the Pug might be mostly an issue for me. I have very long legs proportional to my height and a herniated disc in my lower back in the past. So for me the med Pug has a ton of seat post sticking out and 3" of headset spacers or when I ride a large I'm very stretched out and I get an achy back. It's a fit challenge that I have had with all of my Surly's (1x1, Big Dummy, Krampus, Pug & Pacer).

The Jones works very well for my fit issues.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0121.jpg 
Views:	1564 
Size:	323.1 KB 
ID:	987338

Yesterday's ride. I put my Brooks b17 on the Jones but otherwise it's set up the same as in bikepacking mode. Just a little lighter and faster without the camping gear.
    How do you like the 24" frame? I was afraid it would be too small for me. Ive been happy with the 25".

mtbr member
    The 24" fits me great. My LBS didn't get a 25" for demo so I couldn't compare, but based on the blog post on the Jones website, I think the standover on the 25" might be pushing it for me. I'm about 5'11". I have my 24 set up with about 30mm of spacers above the truss fork and a 70mm stem and it's perfect. I should probably be on a non setback post but my Erkisen Ti post is a setback so I'm using that for now because it's so compliant.

mtbr member
    I should probably be on a non setback post but my Erkisen Ti post is a setback so I'm using that for now because it's so compliant.
    I have the Brooks/Eriksen combo on mine now and love it.

mtbr member
    SeaBass, how does the Jones compare to your SIR9?

I feel like I'm stalking you in bikes: I've had a SIR, Krampus, and now a Mukluk. Among others.

mtbr member
    SeaBass, how does the Jones compare to your SIR9?

I feel like I'm stalking you in bikes: I've had a SIR, Krampus, and now a Mukluk. Among others.
    Now if you tell me you had a Trek 69er or Gary Fisher Sugar I'll be really freaked out!
    The SIR was my first "real" 29er SS but its been four years since I had it. I remember it being very stable and having a nice steel ride but it didn't handle switchbacks well. I had it built up at about 22 lbs with a Niner fork and Flow's.

mtbr member
    Well, I briefly had a Sugar 29er, until it cracked... no Trek 69er, though!

Now if you tell me you had a Trek 69er or Gary Fisher Sugar I'll be really freaked out!
    The SIR was my first "real" 29er SS but its been four years since I had it. I remember it being very stable and having a nice steel ride but it didn't handle switchbacks well. I had it built up at about 22 lbs with a Niner fork and Flow's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So my wife, who's not the most observant when it comes to my bikes, just saw me pedaling the Jones Plus around in the street with my 5 yr old daughter and asked "Is that another one of your bikes you scavenged from the garbage??"
    Oh. My.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    for information, the rack bolt holes on the seat stays fit a bottle cage perfectly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    for information, the rack bolt holes on the seat stays fit a bottle cage perfectly
    I noticed that too, but it points the bottles at an odd angle. I was already sizing up an adapter that would position the bottle vertical.

mtbr member
    I noticed that too, but it points the bottles at an odd angle. I was already sizing up an adapter that would position the bottle vertical.
    Hi
    Vertical drink bottle's are ok on the road but come out when riding offroad at speed.
    Having the bottle's angled helps the bottles stay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    velcro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    velcro
    So true Steve

mtbr member
    Jones Plus-dsc_0154-2.jpg

Three more hours of seat time on the MOCO Epic 25 mile loop and I'm really getting it dialed in. I flipped the stem to bring the bars up a little higher but angled them a little more, feels better on steep downs, but I'll probably play with the stack height over the next few rides. Otherwise it's just about perfect.

I have lost faith that the TRP brakes will ever be strong enough to stop this beast. I had a moment that really made me pucker my... Fortunately the bike just stuck it. I thought about going to 200mm/180mm rotors and getting more aggressive pads but now I'm thinking about Magura MT5 4 pistons. Seems like a good deal for a ton of breaking power.

I really notice how freakin stable this thing is at very low speeds. I'm not a great track stand person, but I really seem to be able to get through the low speed tech stuff without any issues. The geo of this bike really works well for me. It's going to be hard to ever throw a leg over my Pug again.

mtbr member
    I got a couple hours in the saddle yesterday and realized again just how much I like this bike. From slow to fast to smooth to gnar, it handles it all with aplomb.
    Jeff, I'm running BB7's with 203/160 combo and after a brief bedding process, she stops fine for me now. I'm 230 geared up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Jones Plus

Itching to take mine for its first ride. Just need to get the front wheel finished and decide if I'm going to run it geared or singlespeed

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've finally got a couple of rides under my belt on my shiny Blue Plus (25"). I can happily say that it handles exactly how I hoped it would.

I've been riding a 29+ front Stooge for most of winter and while I loved the 29+ upfront it shared a handling trait I remember from when I had a Yelli Screamy. Short chain stayed poppy fun but on crazyily fast downhills they are scarily sketchy and every little bump tries to throw you off. The Jones Plus has none of that. Sharing the long geometry of many FS trail bikes, the Plus is super stable and smooth at these speeds while giving up very little in the handling stakes. It takes an hour or so to get used to the long front but once dialled in it handles tight, twisty single track really well. The long chain stays only showing their downside when you want to manual or pop off every little trail feature. It's not that you can't get air, it's that airing of every little bump isn't going to happen without more effort or speed. In the air - stable, landing smooth.

This bike wants to go fast. Not in the way an XC bike does, that urges you to go faster, but when the going gets rough it tries to kill you. The Jones Plus wants fast but inspires with confidence.

From slow to fast to smooth to gnar, it handles it all with aplomb.
    Agreed

However, as an ardent single-speeder I think that for single track I'm going to run this bike with gears. It's hard to find a single gear that lets you power this bike up climbs (mine weighs a not unreasonable 28.5lbs with dropper and Chronicles) yet find all the speed that the bike wants on the downs. Next ride 1x10. If I was heading out for all day long distance cruising I'd happily stay single speed.

Oh, and at 6' 4" I can safely say the 25" is the perfect fit. I umm'ed and arr'ed between the two sizes but an glad I went bigger

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've finally got a couple of rides under my belt on my shiny Blue Plus (25"). I can happily say that it handles exactly how I hoped it would.

I've been riding a 29+ front Stooge for most of winter and while I loved the 29+ upfront it shared a handling trait I remember from when I had a Yelli Screamy. Short chain stayed poppy fun but on crazyily fast downhills they are scarily sketchy and every little bump tries to throw you off. The Jones Plus has none of that. Sharing the long geometry of many FS trail bikes, the Plus is super stable and smooth at these speeds while giving up very little in the handling stakes. It takes an hour or so to get used to the long front but once dialled in it handles tight, twisty single track really well. The long chain stays only showing their downside when you want to manual or pop off every little trail feature. It's not that you can't get air, it's that airing of every little bump isn't going to happen without more effort or speed. In the air - stable, landing smooth.
    Now that is a comparison I've been waiting for! Really interested in your thoughts on the differences between the two bikes. Seems like you prefer Jones.. Do you see your new Jones replacing the Stooge for all types of riding? At your height maybe the Stooge is to small for you? Or maybe those super short chainstays are not that important after all..
    These two are at the top of my list for next purchase (along with genesis longitude) or I might go custom and combine the two.. Will PM you for details if you don't mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    i rode a Ti 29+ the other day at Evergreen MTB Festival and I was legitimately blown away by how well it handled and what an absolute blast of a ride it was. On a trail I regularly ride on my Stumpjumper 2014 FSR Comp, I was faster on the downhill with the Jones 29+ Ti than I was on the Stumpy, and I was substantially faster on ascents.

obviously it doesn't handle air as well as a FSR but on twisty, flowy singletrack, especially with roots and rocks, it performs like a beast, and the Ti one was a lightweight beast with heavyweight ability
    just ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Are you saying there was a full plus Jones in ti there? Prototype?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    yeah, pretty sure. I know it was a Ti and the tire looked way larger than a standard and had ridiculous traction
    just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am definitely on (or maybe over) the upper limits of Stooge sizing but most of the time it wasn't an issue.

In my view the design intentions of the two bikes are very different. The Stooge was designed to be a fun, rigid 29er that uses a 29+ tire to compensate for the the rigid fork and it does it very well. The problem I had with this is that the 29+ up front encourages higher speeds and that short chain stay bikes (well the two I've had) feel less stable at these speeds. The J+ plays to the strengths of 29+ - smoothness and stability - without sacrificing handling giving me more confidence to go even faster on the downhills. What it does sacrifice is that poppiness that short chain stays deliver. Something the Stooge (and I expect the Stache) have in abundance.

The Jones Plus delivers what I wanted from 29+ but without the Stooge I wouldn't have known that I wanted it.

No problems with a PM

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Had an interesting issue when I put some gears on. I was installing 1x10 with a Wolf Tooth 42t at the back and a 32t at the front. A standard KMC chain with no links removed was too short to allow me to change into the lowest gear! Switched the 42 for a 40 and all is good.

mtbr member
    Had an interesting issue when I put some gears on. I was installing 1x10 with a Wolf Tooth 42t at the back and a 32t at the front. A standard KMC chain with no links removed was too short to allow me to change into the lowest gear! Switched the 42 for a 40 and all is good.
    I guess loooong stays, a BIG cog, and a 32t ring result in a really long chain! You could also run a smaller 30t ring if you want the lower gears back. Or find someone who took a couple of links off the same chain.

mtbr member

Just got my 3rd Rohloff to use on my Jones Plus.
    Why? Because I'm building it up for the upcoming Tour Aotearoa we sometimes have mud, plus the first 80kms is down the 90 mile beach! that's a good lot of sand

Kiwi Pete from the road
    Last edited by NZPeterG; 06-22-2015 at 01:01 AM.

mtbr member

Why? Because I'm building it up for the upcoming Tour Aotearoa we sometimes have mud, plus the first 80kms is down the 90 mile beach! that's a good lot of sand

Kiwi Pete from the road
    Geez, what does that wheel weigh fully assembled? Sounds like a cool Tour!

mtbr member

Kiwi Pete from the road
    I'm Jealous. Congrats!

I think it's really great that Jeff utilized normal rear dropouts for the Plus, instead of going to a thru-axle setup like the newest Ti Spaceframes use, just for the reason of Rohloff compatibility. I have a feeling I'll eventually want to trade my Spaceframe for a Plus/Rohloff at some point, and need to keep an eye on things and do so before the dropouts change.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member

Kiwi Pete from the road
    Lovely!
    did you get the CC or the TS version?
    By the way, some lazy question here, what is the seatpost size of the Jones+?
    TIA,
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Lovely!
    did you get the CC or the TS version?
    By the way, some lazy question here, what is the seatpost size of the Jones+?
    TIA,
    Hi I got a CC version, the best thing about a Rohloff hub is that you can ran a QR
    My 1st Rohloff was a TS and this was why I sold it after 7 years.
    Sold it for more then a new one

Seatpost size is as listed by Jeff is a 27.2mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Jones Plus-imag5168.jpg

I went from the black Jones plus to the blue one in a matter of few weeks. Sold the black to a fellow rider, so went ahead with the blue. From stealth to bubble gum Gulf racing theme.

So now I have the 29 and 29+...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jones Plus-jones-double.jpg  

mtbr member
    Why the switch? Personally, I like the stealth black better, but I would take either one!

mtbr member
    So how does the Plus compare to the regular Jones?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm not sure myself there but since my friend wants to buy from me, he coming from a Krampus, I just decided to sell and just do a some sort of Gulf racing theme with the blue.

As long as I can help add one more rider to ride Jones I am happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So how does the Plus compare to the regular Jones?
    It's hard to compare like for like since one is heavy with gears while the other is light and single. For nimbleness guess the SF felt more nimble since it's shorter and can turn without a big angle but at the same time the plus is nimble too in tight singletrail turns albeit you need a slightly outer angle to turn.

Climbing is hard to compare since one can use multiple gears while the other is just pure mashing but just maybe the plus felt more stable, same as going down the plus definitely feels more stable due to the long wb.

mtbr member

Kiwi Pete from the road
    Last edited by NZPeterG; 07-08-2015 at 02:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mojak View Post
    It's hard to compare like for like since one is heavy with gears while the other is light and single. For nimbleness guess the SF felt more nimble since it's shorter and can turn without a big angle but at the same time the plus is nimble too in tight singletrail turns albeit you need a slightly outer angle to turn.

Climbing is hard to compare since one can use multiple gears while the other is just pure mashing but just maybe the plus felt more stable, same as going down the plus definitely feels more stable due to the long wb.
    The Plus has loads more stability and momentum. It's smoother too. I love the light and racey feeling of my Ti SF but when the going gets steep (down) or rough that's when I want the Plus. The SF makes a better SS too. I'm finding it harder to settle on the right ratio with the Plus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Plus has loads more stability and momentum. It's smoother too. I love the light and racey feeling of my Ti SF but when the going gets steep (down) or rough that's when I want the Plus. The SF makes a better SS too. I'm finding it harder to settle on the right ratio with the Plus.
    And the SF manuals and launches off stuff much easier

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    And the SF manuals and launches off stuff much easier
    Martin what's the Plus like in tight, technical singletrackworld? I'm after a 29 plus to compliment my Stooge and looking at the Krampus and, if I can get past the , the Jones Plus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post
    Martin what's the Plus like in tight, technical singletrackworld? I'm after a 29 plus to compliment my Stooge and looking at the Krampus and, if I can get past the , the Jones Plus.
    I haven't yet found anywhere that I think "I'd have cleared that if only the bike were shorter" though there have been occasions were my rear wheel ended up not quite where I'd expected.

The Plus is a lot more agile than you expect from the numbers. After a short adjustment time I find no issues at all at low speed. Not as nimble as the SF but Im sure some of that is the extra drag and weight of the Chronicle. At high speed I'm still learning, the problem isn't the bike, it's the momentum.

Not sure what you'd be looking for in a complementary bike?

mtbr member
    Jones Plus-jones-massanutten-trail.jpg

Spent the day riding the Elizabeth Furnace area near Front Royal VA. I had a moment on a rocky faster section of the Massanutten Trail smashing the front wheel into a tombstone rock. On my FS29er I would have flown over the bars, but on the Jones Plus I just came to a hard stop. Only after I started riding again that I realized how awesome it was that I wasn't picking myself up off of a pile of rocks. Having that kind of confidence in my bike really lets me focus on having fun, especially when I'm tired and more prone to making mistakes.

With the new 200mm/180mm rotor combo I'm much happier with the braking performance. The next upgrade will be to 165mm cranks (170's are on it now).

mtbr member
    Yeah, they are beasts for sure! Why the 165s? You getting a lot of strikes with the 170s?

mtbr member
    Yeah, they are beasts for sure! Why the 165s? You getting a lot of strikes with the 170s?
    Jeff recommends 165's and I noticed the switch from 175's to 170's for this build (my Krampus had 175's) has helped my knee pain post riding, significantly. Since I'm running Mr. Whirly's, all I need to do is buy the crank arms, so I figure it's worth the try to see if it's even better. I run my BB at the 6 o'clock position and while I do get rock strikes, it's not that bad and I prefer the stability of the lower BB.

mtbr member
    SeaBass,

Could you comment on rigidity or how smooth the Jones Plus feels compared to your Krampus?

I owned an ECR with 710 Jones bars and it always felt really stiff when it came to rough surfaces. I currently own a Krampus with wide riser bars and was running it with an MRP stage 130. Found that the suspension fork allowed me to get too aggressive for what the frame was designed for. Installed the stock rigid fork and it seems to fit the character of the Krampus better. I simply slow down when things get too rough at speed.

In rigid mode, I have found the Krampus is a smoother riding bike vs. the ECR. The rigid front fork also resists deflection under braking much better. I am guessing the Jones Plus is better in both of those area's than the Krampus?

Thanks,
    Bubba.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    SeaBass,

Could you comment on rigidity or how smooth the Jones Plus feels compared to your Krampus?

I owned an ECR with 710 Jones bars and it always felt really stiff when it came to rough surfaces. I currently own a Krampus with wide riser bars and was running it with an MRP stage 130. Found that the suspension fork allowed me to get too aggressive for what the frame was designed for. Installed the stock rigid fork and it seems to fit the character of the Krampus better. I simply slow down when things get too rough at speed.

In rigid mode, I have found the Krampus is a smoother riding bike vs. the ECR. The rigid front fork also resists deflection under braking much better. I am guessing the Jones Plus is better in both of those area's than the Krampus?

Thanks,
    Bubba.
    I would have to say the Jones is the most comfortable capable rigid bike I've owned. It doesn't get bumped off line easily with the truss fork and 142mm thru axle front hub. Its more of an "In the Bike" position riding rather than the "On the Bike" position of the Krampy. I've really taken to the Jones Bars. The Krampy's front end was definitely easier to loft. Due to it's sheer size one wouldn't think the Jones capable of carving the way it does and it's surprising nimble to boot. It's just a blast to ride!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast