• 09-07-2016
    Hyder88
    Fuse comp 6fattie Vs Timberjack
    LBS called me this morning and he said that he can get me a new fuse comp for 999.00 that is 600.00 off. With a dropper post.

    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/2016-early-launch-bikes/fuse-2016-early-launch/fuse-comp-6fattie/107166



    I had settled on a Salsa Timberjack but, not going to be delivered until early Nov.

    TIMBERJACK 27.5+ X1 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

    Any reason to not take the 2016 fuse comp and hold out for the salsa??
  • 09-07-2016
    Unit91MS
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Hyder88 View Post
    LBS called me this morning and he said that he can get me a new fuse comp for 999.00 that is 600.00 off. With a dropper post.

    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/2016-early-launch-bikes/fuse-2016-early-launch/fuse-comp-6fattie/107166



    I had settled on a Salsa Timberjack but, not going to be delivered until early Nov.

    TIMBERJACK 27.5+ X1 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

    Any reason to not take the 2016 fuse comp and hold out for the salsa??

    I love my fuse. Would've loved it even more for 600 less than I paid.
  • 09-07-2016
    shiopz
    Given that situation, ill take the fuse! :)
  • 09-07-2016
    grizzler
    I like the build kit on the Timberjack more. But do you like $400 and having a bike now even more?
  • 09-08-2016
    DeeEight
    I bought my Fuse Comp July 4th, its all I've used the past two months from my collection. Of course I also swapped the grips, bar, stem, saddle, pedals, tires and set it up tubeless the moment I got it home. The Fuse frame and the Suntour Raidon fork WILL accept Vee Trax Fatty 3.25s for example, which on the stock WTB Scraper i45 rims inflate to 3.16" true width at 10-12psi operating pressures. The stock dropper is heavy but it springs back with authority which I like. The Suntour thru-axle is way faster to get in and out than a rockshox maxle. I doubt if the Recon SL fork on the Salsa will actually be any lighter than the Suntour fork, and it certainly isn't any better in terms of technology, being just an air spring with a compression lockout and adjustable rebound damping. My own choice was between the Fuse, a Devinci Hendrix, and waiting for a KHS Sixfifty 680+ while while it would have been cheaper for me, also wouldn't have been available until mid-september. I do not regret getting the Fuse (the Hendrix got nay-nay'ed on account of the limited tire width room... the stock maxxis tires are labeled 3.0s but on the stock 35mm external width rims, they're really only 2.8s, and it didn't look like the frame would take much more than a full 3.0 width anyway even with wider rims). Now that said, the Fuse doesn't have rack mounts nor any cable routing options for using a front derailleur and double-ring crank, and the stock 30T ring with an 11-40 sunrace cassette might limit your gearing range, but since it has a shimano compatible freehub, you can always go to an XT or XTR 11 speed setup just by changing the cassette, rear derailleur, rear shifter, chain and chain ring. A 32 or 34T oval ring would improve the top end speed and the 42T granny would maintain a good bottom end gear.
  • 09-08-2016
    Rock Surf
    The Salsa looks pretty rad. And it's also not a specialized, so there's that.
  • 09-08-2016
    Hyder88
    Thanks guys went with the Fuse, figured with the savings I could add some nice upgrades.. I pick it up Monday, going to change out bars first thing.. Stock bars feel a tad low to me.

    Biggest issue I had was want color to buy. I had picked the graphite and orange but then panicked and and went with the white. I know white shows dirt more but figured I could do some cool stuff with other color options like orange pedals and grips.

    Anyways, I think I will like the bike, I only rode around the parking lot so I will test it out on our local AZ trails here in Tucson. I think this bike will be perfect for our local trails.

    Ill add a pic when I pick it up.

    Any recommended must have upgrades for the fuse? I have an extra 400, what would you guys buy??

    FYI I have all the packs shoes outfits ect.. I would be more interested in bike upgrades.
  • 09-08-2016
    Unit91MS
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Hyder88 View Post
    Thanks guys went with the Fuse, figured with the savings I could add some nice upgrades.. I pick it up Monday, going to change out bars first thing.. Stock bars feel a tad low to me.

    Biggest issue I had was want color to buy. I had picked the graphite and orange but then panicked and and went with the white. I know white shows dirt more but figured I could do some cool stuff with other color options like orange pedals and grips.

    Anyways, I think I will like the bike, I only rode around the parking lot so I will test it out on our local AZ trails here in Tucson. I think this bike will be perfect for our local trails.

    Ill add a pic when I pick it up.

    Any recommended must have upgrades for the fuse? I have an extra 400, what would you guys buy??

    FYI I have all the packs shoes outfits ect.. I would be more interested in bike upgrades.

    Nice! I actually wanted the white but ended up getting the red because they had it in stock. Not sure I've seen a white one in the wild yet.

    I've upgraded the fork, bars, stem, and brakes on mine. Tubeless conversion and fork are probably my favorite mods.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • 09-08-2016
    Hyder88
    What forks did you go with?? Is the Suntour upgrade program worth it??
  • 09-08-2016
    Unit91MS
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Hyder88 View Post
    What forks did you go with?? Is the Suntour upgrade program worth it??

    I'm not sure suntour has a better plus fork out currently. I went with the rock shox yari

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk