Drooling over Specialized Fuse 6Fattie, have questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Drooling over Specialized Fuse 6Fattie, have questions

Thinking about my future bike, and these new bikes from Specialized look amazing. I'm 135lbs 5'7", current bike is specialized hardrock disc se 29 2013. I ride in new England, so rocks and roots are around. Currently in Massachusetts, where there's barely any elevation, but soon moving to the White Mountains of New Hampshire, where there will be more. I feel like my lungs are out of shape or weak. I'm constantly breathing hard while riding, and when climbing hills I'm always stopping to catch my breath.

Now for my questions

1. I like the roleability of my 29er. I hear that 27.5+ wheels are about the same diameter of 29ers. Is this true, and do they role similarly to 29ers?

2. I'm curious about the geometry of the Fuse compared with current my bike. If I understand correctly, my current bike is more of a cross country bike, and the Fuse is more of a trail bike. It has a shorter chain stay, slacker head angle, and longer wheelbase. How will these two bikes compare when riding? Will I find it even more difficult to climb?

3. I'm not sure if I should get the comp or expert model of the Fuse. The primary differences I see are in the fork, brakes, and derailleur. I'm not very good with components, so what are the differences here?

Here's the links to all the bikes I talked about
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Enthusiast
    That Fuse Fattie looks amazing. Pricey for a hardtail, but I'm liking the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis256 View Post
    1. I like the roleability of my 29er. I hear that 27.5+ wheels are about the same diameter of 29ers. Is this true, and do they role similarly to 29ers?
    I'm sure the math won't work out precisely to 29", but I bet the rollover ability is just as good as on your current 29er. That is the idea though, that you have essentially 29er tires mounted on 650b rims, and it's those big stonking 3" wide tires that make up the difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Diameter: plus is slightly smaller but close enough. How well they roll compared to each other depends a lot on the specific tires. It's not going to make much difference.

2. I'm curious about the geometry of the Fuse compared with current my bike. If I understand correctly, my current bike is more of a cross country bike, and the Fuse is more of a trail bike. It has a shorter chain stay, slacker head angle, and longer wheelbase. How will these two bikes compare when riding? Will I find it even more difficult to climb?

I doubt if it's going to be more difficult to climb than with a hard rock se. It's a little more 'trailsy' but I don't think it will be more difficult due to geometry. You may find the front end wandering more or feeling like it wants to lift a little more on steeper climbs.

3. I'm not sure if I should get the comp or expert model of the Fuse. The primary differences I see are in the fork, brakes, and derailleur. I'm not very good with components, so what are the differences here

All of those things are going to make a pretty big difference when you add them together. If I had the extra $500, I would spend it.

All my opinion of course, enjoy!

mtbr member
    I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my Pro. I was riding a Salsa El Mariachi and it just wasn't "for me". It always felt like I was wrestling it on technical trails and climbs. I never had a problem with it descending or getting air. I was at a bike shop trying out a Niner Jet when the owner asked me if I would like to try out something new that he thought was cool. I rode the Expert and there it was, the feeling I was looking for. These guys let you really test their bikes too, went so far as to tell me where the rock garden was. I returned the bike pretty darn dirty and it was one of their showroom models too. Anyway, it was just as easy to spin up to speed as a 29" but way more easy to get it to behave on technical trails and ascents. The rock garden was a descent for me and there the plus size really shinned, I wasn't as concerned about picking a line as I would have been on a 29", it just blasted down. I gotta admit I had such a good time playing with that bike I was like "shut up and take my money!"
    I'm 5'8" and 165# if that helps you with size considerations. Where I live EVERYBODY is riding fatbikes and I've tried them a few times and they just don't do it for me.
    As far a XC goes I will have no problems going on 30+ mile rides with it. BUT, if I were to do an XC race I'm told all I need to do is get a set of 29" wheels with the right hubs/axles and they fit right in. I actually just started thinking about that, not sure if the geometry would "feel" right you know? Maybe get a test set of wheels before I drop the cash on another wheel set.
    Anyway, to answer your last question, I went with the Pro to get the better components. Opinions will vary but that's mine.
    I'm super excited, you should go try one out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
    All of those things are going to make a pretty big difference when you add them together. If I had the extra $500, I would spend it.
    I know that, and I am leaning towards the expert, but I also want to understand the difference. For example, the forks have the same amount of travel and are both air. So what's the difference? And the brakes on the comp are TRP, which I've never heard of before.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Can anyone provide weight of bike? Expert or Comp?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nemesis, I picked up a Fuse expert and really like it!!

I'll try to break down the differences between the expert and comp as I just went through the comparison myself (although I was deciding between the Expert and Pro models). Keep in mind what follows are my opinions, and by no means authoritative.

Fork: the Comp has a Suntour fork which is an entry level fork and probably performs accordingly. The Manitou fork that comes on the Expert is also an air fork but is more expensive and a step up in overall quality and ride comfort. I test rode the Comp and the fork felt harsh and had a top out knock when you'd go to bunny hop or lighten the front end. That said, neither fork is anything special and I plan on replacing the Manitou with a Pike when they're available.

Brakes: Again the brakes on the comp are entry level and perform reliably but do not have the same modulation as the Avid DB3 which comes on the Comp. However, I also plan on swapping over the XT brakes from my other bike as I prefer Shimano brakes.

Drivetrain: The shifters, derailer, and crankset all get an upgrade on the Expert. The crank spindle on the Comp is steel vs. the Expert which is aluminum. The cranks seem adequately stiff and function just fine. I may also upgrade the crankset to the new Race Face Atlas Cinch that will be available soon because I really like their stuff and it's certainly better looking!

Here's my take (and what ultimately led me to buy the Expert and not the Pro), if you plan on upgrading the fork, brakes and drivetrain right away, then go with the comp as you'll save some $ on components you will replace anyway. If you are going to ride it as is for the time being then spend the extra $500 and get better parts for your money which will make for a more enjoyable ride out of the gate.

Winky

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I tested the Trek Stash 29+ and Fuse 27.5+ back to back. It wasn't even close.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, which one did you like better?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by elmar View Post
    Oh yeah, which one did you like better?
    The Stash. and I despise Trek. Truth be told I despise Specialized too but wanted to try them anyway as I was thinking about a Pivot 429 trail that can take 650+ wheels. The Pivot is full suspension of course but I wanted to get a sense of the rolling characteristics of those 3" tires (I have a fat bike too) so I tried the Fuse. It felt very awkward. Position was off, steering was too light but somehow sluggish overall. Bike shop dude said try the Stash. Amazing.

This is my POV. Others may love the Fuse.