Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cotic BFeMAX - 27+/29er - UK Steel shredding Vancouver Island!

36K views 265 replies 23 participants last post by  vikb 
#1 ·

My Cotic BFeMAX has landed on the West/Wet Coast of Vancouver Island. I am glad I ordered pretty fast when I did as they are completely sold out and it'll be months for the next shipment. This bike's main mission is to replace my Knolly Endorphin as my winter bike. It's actually got more aggressive geo than that FS bike, but of course lacks the monkey motion out back. I surprised myself with how much I liked my Daambuilt Mega Krampus this past winter and it was setup with a nod to long/fast touring style rides. I figure with more fork and knobby tires I can make the BFeMAX even more fun to shred in the winter here. :cool:

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFeMAX

I'm waiting on some parts and deciding if I am going to try and re-use an old 275er fork I have or get a new 29/27+ fork. So it will be a while until this bike gets rolling. On the plus side that gives me lots of time to deal with all the small details like frame protection and mounting water/cargo that often get rushed when I am excited to just get the bike out on the trail.

The 275er fork I have is a 150mm Pike that has an AtoC similar to a 140mm 29er Pike. So the geo will look like this.

If I buy a new fork it's going to be either a 150mm or 160mm 29er fork so the geo will be something like this.

The frame colour is a really nice blue, but unfortunately it's hard to photograph. The top photo and the one at the bottom are the best representation of what it looks like in real life. :cool:

FWIW - Cotic was very easy to deal with. Their online store is simple to use. I rec'd the frame from the UK to the far west coast of Canada in 10 days. Cost was ~$920CAD that includes a spare hanger, frame bag and shipping. No duty, but I did pay sales tax when it arrived.

See less See more
1 6
#2 ·

I have been pack-free on my bikes for a few years now so first thing I do is figure out how to carry my water/gear on the bike.

The BFeMAX has 4! sets of water bottle mounts:

- 1 under the TT [where you see that frame bag]
- 2 on top of the DT [where you see the pink bottles]
- 1 under the DT [where I have the larger clear bottle]

The frame bag shown isn't the one from Cotic. It was out of stock so it's being shipped later. That's a Rogue Panda XL sized TT bag mounted upside down. It actually fits pretty well. I would only put a pump, plugs, tube and tools in here. Stuff that I only need when I have a rare mechanical.

The Cotic bag will fit up in the front of the main triangle. Not sure if I'll have to give up on the upper water bottle when it's mounted or if I can fit both in at the same time? :confused:

Although it's primary mission will be as my winter whip...with so many water bottle mounts and easy cargo capacity I can see it getting pulled out for some summer alpine epics. :)

#5 ·
Nice buy. I got the grey and am currently building it with fast rolling tyres for some bigger days exploring.

The two bottle mounts on the downtube become kind of redundant if you use the supplied cable guides on points for securing the dropper cable though..I've ended up using the bottom two and the top one to secure the dropper cable outer and the remaining two in the middle for the bottle mount that I guess I'll be using zip ties to secure the cable to the bottle cage to stop it rattling.

Did you request a spare hanger and frame bag with your order? I missed out there if you didn't.

#13 ·
I can relate. Steve is having a really "bad" influence on me... Can't stop searching for the ideal hardtail for me since I subscribed to his channel. To complement my Ripmo, I think the Solaris would be a better match for me, but I really like the look of the BFE Max. I might get a frame eventually and do a "slow" build like you... Or a MC at unbeatable price at the end of the year...

#7 · (Edited)

The simple answer is the BFeMAX is the burlier more aggressive cousin of the SolarisMAX. The more towards XC or trail your riding is the SolarisMAX would be the better choice. The more towards all mtn-Enduro your riding is the BFeMAX would be the better choice. Obviously there would be overlap in the middle.

I like the brazeon setup of the BFeMAX better - blue bike above. The SolarisMAX [Orange bike above] used to have a similar setup, but they went nuts with 8 bolts on the top of the DT and none underneath. Seems odd as I'd want to put a big water container under the DT for marathon rides or bikepacking which you'd think was the SolarisMAX's forte. So I am confused by that change. :confused:

#10 ·
Went with the old school headtube badge.

View attachment 1343049
Was that an option you could select or were you able to ask them for the old one?

Looks like there are still a lot of people who prefer the old badge from the discussion on the STW forum. I get why they changed it but I kind of liked the old one.

Looking forward to seeing how the bikes turn out!

#14 ·
Shipping is included in the price. Note the list price on the site includes 20% VAT that partially gets deducted when you put the frame in your cart so the price you pay is less than the listed price for a UK buyer.

In Canada we pay federal and provincial sales taxes on international shipments so it costs the same in taxes as if we bought it at a LBS for that price. There are no duties on bike frames from the UK. Not sure how taxes are applied in your state.

The BFeMAX is sold out so I threw a BFe in my cart.

- initial price is 549 UK Pounds is $923CAD.
- once I set my address as Canada it drops to 505.50 UK Pounds or $849CAD after VAT is removed. Shipping is covered to Canada/USA in this price.
- I would pay normal local taxes on $849CAD when the frame arrives.

#15 ·
No problem. Cotic's BFeMAX marketing spew below:

The BFeMAX is a crazy fast, super tough, 29er hardtail. It's the result of gene-splicing our award winning, super fast SolarisMAX 29er trail hardtail, with our tough-as-old-boots, 27.5" wheeled BFe do-it-all fun machine.

If you're looking for the fastest descending hardtail possible, then you're in the right place. With up to a 160mm fork and 29 inch wheels, the BFeMAX screams 'Come and have a go'. There isn't really anything this bike won't jump into with both feet: Jumps, drops, big mountains, hacking about in the woods and steamrollering down just about anything, this is the bike you need to embarrass your full suspension riding mates. Are you hard enough?

There's enough room for meaty 2.6" tyres and still space for mud. The big wheels carry momentum up and along, then let you grab it by the scruff of it's neck on the way down, with speed and stability all day. We have carried over the legendary toughness of the BFe with it's Reynolds 853 down tube spine, and Cotic FM custom butted tubeset throughout the rest of the frame for the classic Cotic ride feel.

BFeMAX turns the speed up to 11 with the big wheels; it doesn't really understand it's a hardtail!
Although not mentioned above the BFeMax will also clear 27 x 3.0" tires. :thumbsup:

#20 ·

I know a lot of people wouldn't bother putting frame protection on a burly steel frame, but I have a bunch of time on my hands waiting for parts/making build decisions so I spent a rainy morning yesterday putting tape on the BFeMAX.

Mostly I used odds and ends I had left over from other bikes.

My usual technique of wrapping an old tube around the DS CS looked stupid bulky on the slender steel tubing so I just laid a length against the CS and wrapped it with electrical tape. I think it came out pretty nice and will be easy to spruce up as the tape gets torn/worn.

The BFeMAX will have a nice long Mudhugger rear fender installed when it's done. Ya I am one of those weirdos that put real fenders on both ends of their MTBs. It's a PNWet thing! ;)

I bought a bulk roll of $$$$$ Shelter Tape a bunch of years ago and use it for spots on my bikes that can use some real impact protection. So I put some on the NDS CS as well as under the BB. It's really thick tape so I don't bother using it on places that are less likely to get hit hard. From any distance you can't see it which is nice as it maintains a clean look for the frame and you can admire the lovely finish.

I also put a few more smaller bits of tape where that frame bag will attach under the TT and at the ST. Just to avoid wearing away the powder coat over millions of bumps. :cool:

#25 ·
I did. I had one almost ordered, Just had to send in my VISA number, but changed my mind as I waited for the COVID-19 situation to stabilize. I'm sure it's a fine bike, but buying an aluminum hardtail wasn't getting me excited. Steve's review over at HTP kind of confirmed that was the right decision for me to not pull the trigger. I was also a bit gutted the raw frame wasn't actually raw aluminum...they clear coated it. A small, but important detail.

There were definitely some aspects of the Paradox I thought were great and then some that I didn't love as much. Whereas all the details of the BFeMax lined up with what I wanted quite well. Then Steve's review at HTP pushed me over the edge.

I tend to keep my bikes 4-10 years at a stretch so loving the ride is important to me. I'm not gonna be swapping out the BFeMAX next year and be onto a different hardtail. So I need staying power for my bike stoke! :)

Had I not bought the BFeMax I would have got a SolarisMAX from Cotic. As noted above the geo and brazeons on the BFeMAX are better for me. I wouldn't have said no to the full Reynolds 853 tube set though. ;)

#34 ·
I've got clear tape. Problem is the DS CS gets chain lube on it so it ends up looking ugly and you don't really benefit from seeing the frame's finish. The tube/tape is black so the lube/dirt doesn't show.

I did use clear tape on the NDS CS because it doesn't get covered in chain lube/dirt. :)

#35 ·
Clear grip tape is easily washable and far more robust than regular tape.

View attachment 1345007
This has been in place for more than 20 years with 10 of those as a geared bike. Dusty, you bet, oil and grease resistant, you bet.

Another view.
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part Spoke

Wash it with dawn and water, clean again after a chain lube mess, rinse with water to remove stopping fluid.

#37 · (Edited)
I've made some progress on the BFeMAX build although things are still a long way from actually getting to a rideable bike.

- fork ordered
- headset ordered
- frame bag ordered
- 27+ wheel set converted to Boost
- 29er wheel set available [built up a new wheel set for my Daambuilt Mega Krampus so the wheels that are on there now [Boost Hope hubs Velocity Blunt 35's] are up for grabs]
- grips delivered
- cassette delivered
- chain delivered
- Inline head for my 9.8 dropper delivered

I've started stripping down my Knolly Endorphin for parts. I'll use the brakes, shifter, derailleur and dropper off it. The frame, fork and shock will get sold. The rest of the parts that are in decent condition will end up in the spare parts bin for future use.

My next move is to decide now that I have the option of 27 x 2.8" or 29 x 2.6" which wheel set I buy tires for and run first? I didn't think I'd have a 29er wheel set available so I was planning on 27+ for the first year. Now I have a choice. Hmmmmmm.....?

I'm also waiting on a Race Face BB to come into stock so I can install my RF Next R cranks.

I'm away for a week mid-July so I expect this bad boy rolling by the end of the month. :)

#39 ·
Nice Vik! Let’s see some pics when it’s built out.

I’ve been waiting months for the SolarisMax to come back in stock. When the BFeMax dropped I almost bought one since the geometry is so similar to the former Solaris when both running a 140mm fork. The new Solaris has a shortened front-center and they steepened the STA a half degree. Still very close geo, minus the “burley” extra pound of steel.

I preordered the day the new SolarisMax was announced. Should be an awesome trail bike to compliment the Endorphin (mine, not yours).

#40 ·
I've been waiting months for the SolarisMax to come back in stock. When the BFeMax dropped I almost bought one since the geometry is so similar to the former Solaris when both running a 140mm fork. The new Solaris has a shortened front-center and they steepened the STA a half degree. Still very close geo, minus the "burley" extra pound of steel.

I preordered the day the new SolarisMax was announced. Should be an awesome trail bike to compliment the Endorphin (mine, not yours).
Exciting! I'm glad you got one. That Cotic BFeMAX order vapourized so fast I bet the SolarisMAX shipment will be sold out soon as well.

I'm glad they updated the geo on both bikes. I wouldn't say no to another 1-1.5 deg steeper STA yet again and I'm not really into crazy steep STAs, but with long front centres on bikes you need to get the saddle close enough to the bars to make everything work.

Post up some photos of your new Cotic frame when you get it. :)

BTW - what colour did you get?

#42 ·

As a FYI for anyone interested in big rubber clearance on the BFeMAX I jammed this 29 x 2.8" Rekon+ on a 40IW rim into the Cotic and it fit no problem. This tire + rim combo measures out at ~2.7" and a true 2.8" tire won't fit, but that's still a nice amount of clearance in BFeMAX. :thumbsup:

With this tire + rim there would be no issue with runny PNWet loamy mud, but think sticky mud would stop the tire. :p

#44 ·
Vik, got midnight blue or whatever they call it. Not a fan of orange but would've gotten the red dwarf if they still offered it.
Nice. I'll be keen to see how that looks built up. :)

I had settled on that red as well when I was thinking about a SolarisMAX and waiting on the new bikes to land just in case there was a better colour or some other changes.

I'm generally not a fan of orange bikes, but I think I'd have to have gone that route as I really don't want a dark bike for winter riding here. It's already kind of Mordor depressing for 6 months of the year inside the dark moist forest. So having a cheerful coloured bike is nice. :)

#46 ·
I'll go orange in a heartbeat, provided it is a shade that is encompasing. Dark colors, well, that one depends. 60's and 70's Ford "midnight blue" metallic is a good color for a darker choice.

On the next custom frame, I will need some time at the local automotive paint store and an opportunity to take the House of Color chart out in the sun and back into artificial light to see the colors change. Unfortunately, that might lead to a difficult choice to make. No other color program can deliver the effect that House of Color does.

Back to you, Vik, how is your bike shaping up? The frame is lovely as the pix can make it, so I can only imagine how gorgeous it it in person.

#47 ·

I've got a bunch of parts coming in the mail. The only two things I still need to locate are a headset [Cotic will send me one with the back ordered frame bag eventually] and brake hose. I'd like to get one of the coloured brake hose kits from Jagwire, but they are out of stock. I can just pick up some black hose locally if that was the only part missing.

I'm out of town 13-19 July 2020 so I am hoping I'll have everything on hand at the end of July and I'll do the build then when I am back in town.

My buddy is taking my winter bike frame/fork off my hands as his MTB is damaged and he's waiting to see if he'll get any help from the manufacturer. So my frame will get him rolling for the rest of the summer. It seems like I end up selling my old bikes to friends a lot so I get to keep riding with them...which is cool. :)

The brakes off the winter bike need a good clean...new longer hoses and then a full bleed for the Cotic.

I'm not in a rush to get the Cotic rolling. I'd rather wait and get everything I want in and sorted then do the build once really well.....vs. slapping some parts on it fast and then swapping out several of items over the next few months.

I have other MTBs to ride. :cool:

#48 ·
Kinda nice to see the old bikes in good homes and getting the love they deserve.

I like what you have so far, looks good.

My bins have been ravaged for the Sarge III build and one of the other bikes has lent a stem for the initial build. Waiting for the orange Straitline to show up...

#51 ·

I am taking apart my old FS winter bike for parts for the Cotic. I grabbed the tool bag from that bike and took the bits that would work for the Cotic then added anything new or that needed replacing. I'll carry all these items on every ride attached to the frame permanently so I can just grab this bike, throw a water bottle on it and ride knowing I have all the essentials covered. :)

I tend to maintain my bikes well and I don't flat super often so most of the time I use my tools/spares on the trail it's to help someone else out. That's fine. A bit of trail karma never hurt anyone. :cool:

Normally I support the small bikepacking bag makers, but COVID seems to have hit them hard in terms of backlog/wait times. Since my needs for a bag are pretty simple and not super mission critical I grabbed a cheap top tube bag off of Amazon and mounted it upside down in the Cotic frame. It uses welded construction and a waterproof zipper so I'm hopeful it will keep the stuff inside dry. :D

Obviously mounting a bag this way makes it hard to access. That's okay as I generally don't need tools/spares often...maybe once a month or so. In that case I'll just take the bag off the bike, use what I need, repack it and then remount it. I don't race so the extra 60 seconds to get access isn't an issue. :nono:

For those that care the bag plus everything inside weighs 720g.

#52 ·
Good stuff, Vik! I think the bag is ideal for a first aid kit of the bicycle kind. It does look simple enough in terms of break it out, utilize it, repack, reinstall. Nice fit without crowding the water supply too. Hike a bike, toss the bike on your shoulder and hang it there by the seat. Dammit, I cannot wait for the in the wild pix to begin! Should be as good as the Daambuilt MK thread. Congratz!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.