Bomboloni Width on 30mm Internal Rim?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Bomboloni Width on 30mm Internal Rim?

Bomboloni 29x3 width on 30mm internal rim.

Does anyone have this measurement? Looking to try one mounted to a Roval Fattie SL on the rear of my evil following. I know it will be tight, if it fits, but a ballpark on width on a 30mm internal rim would be super helpful.

I've already looked at the casing size spreadsheet. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Vittoria Bomboloni 29 76-622 172mm casing. 64mm on a 30mm internal rim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by caRpetbomBer View Post
    Vittoria Bomboloni 29 76-622 172mm casing. 64mm on a 30mm internal rim.
    I'm assuming that is from the spreadsheet but I'm wondering if anyone out there has a measurement from personal use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just mounted some on i21 rims to see if they would fit my salsa big mama. They measure 60mm to casing and about 70 to knobs. I am debating between blunt rims or dually rims myself afraid the dully will be too wide to fit frame and fork....according to the chart, the i30 should still fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have one mounted tubeless on a blunt 35 and it will fit in a Pike fork but not the back on my nimble 9. I will measure it tomorrow and report back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That would be super helpful! Thanks for taking a look.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    For what's it's worth, here's a factual width description from fat-bike.com of the Bomboloni 29x3.0 on a Rabbit Hole rim (50mm OD)

"Outside knob to knob measurement was 76 mm with the tire mounted tubeless at 15 psi on a Rabbit Hole. For reference, the Knard is 80 mm, Chupacabra 77 mm, and Chronicle 76 mm so the Bomboloni is about the same width (outside knob to outside knob) as other existing 29+ offerings."

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Although its been a number of months since the OP asked, here is what I measured after mounting a Bomboloni on my 29mm inner width rim. Both tires were new:

Bomboloni at 20psi, and Ikon at 25psi:
    Dimensions… Bomboloni / Ikon 2.35
    Casing width 2.685 in / 2.375 in
    Knob width 2.748 in / 2.335 in

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by C-137 View Post
    Although its been a number of months since the OP asked, here is what I measured after mounting a Bomboloni on my 29mm inner width rim. Both tires were new:

Bomboloni at 20psi, and Ikon at 25psi:
    Dimensions… Bomboloni / Ikon 2.35
    Casing width 2.685 in / 2.375 in
    Knob width 2.748 in / 2.335 in
    Thanks. Appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am having a tuff time getting the bomboloni to seat on my blunt 35 with tubes. Did you guys have this issue? The bead is falling to the middle of the rim and not blowing out. I think this is causing extra wobble and just annoying. Any helpful advice?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post
    I am having a tuff time getting the bomboloni to seat on my blunt 35 with tubes. Did you guys have this issue? The bead is falling to the middle of the rim and not blowing out. I think this is causing extra wobble and just annoying. Any helpful advice?
    Had no difficulty with my NOX Farlow rims. Mounted up tubeless straight and true with a floor pump easily. No experience with Blunt 35s.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    you might check it on another rim. I had one that was defective, out of balance that had huge wobble.

mtbr member
    I have blunt 35's and run bomboloni's and had no issues setting up tubeless

Rippin da fAt
    soap em up and inflate... diluted dawn works wonders.

Another option...

https://fat-bike.com/2013/10/new-pro...easy-to-mount/

Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by mopes View Post
    Thanks. Appreciate it.
    So you are showing that the Bomboloni is actually not a true 3.0 tire, measuring more like 2.75"?! Been debating if I want to try something like this as a front tire on my old RS Revy, will have to take the calipers to the inside of the arch on the fork to see what kinda room I have now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    So you are showing that the Bomboloni is actually not a true 3.0 tire, measuring more like 2.75"?! Been debating if I want to try something like this as a front tire on my old RS Revy, will have to take the calipers to the inside of the arch on the fork to see what kinda room I have now.
    He's saying it's less than 3 inches wide on a narrow rim

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Are the newer TNT tires like this Bomboloni generally a wee bit larger in bead diameter and easier to get onto a tubeless rim?

I used TNT versions of AKA and Saguaro for years on Shimano MT75 UST wheels, but since switching to Light Bicycle rims, I have never been successful in muscling either of those tires onto the rims. Its not technique: I've done uncountable combos of rims/tires in tubeless setups, and this is the only combo I couldn't even get the tire across the rim wall. Any non-TNT from Geax was easy, but the TNT's were impossible.

I want to try the Bomboloni on my LB 28mm internal asym rim *if* it can be fitted. So hoping these more recent Vittoria branded models are manageable?

Also, do these newer models have as tough & durable sidewalls as the original AKA/Saguaro/etc? The robust sidewalls were my favorite bit about the TNT and part of the reason I'm considering a Bomboloni.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Are the newer TNT tires like this Bomboloni generally a wee bit larger in bead diameter and easier to get onto a tubeless rim?

I used TNT versions of AKA and Saguaro for years on Shimano MT75 UST wheels, but since switching to Light Bicycle rims, I have never been successful in muscling either of those tires onto the rims. Its not technique: I've done uncountable combos of rims/tires in tubeless setups, and this is the only combo I couldn't even get the tire across the rim wall. Any non-TNT from Geax was easy, but the TNT's were impossible.

I want to try the Bomboloni on my LB 28mm internal asym rim *if* it can be fitted. So hoping these more recent Vittoria branded models are manageable?

Also, do these newer models have as tough & durable sidewalls as the original AKA/Saguaro/etc? The robust sidewalls were my favorite bit about the TNT and part of the reason I'm considering a Bomboloni.
    I've got one that is fairly new TNT mounted on that exact rim with no problem.The rim is a bit narrow so the tire felt a bit squirmy at real low pressure,13 psi was as low as it felt good.It does fit under my boost 29er Pike with 6-8mm clearance at the top,lots at the sides.
    The side walls feel strong but I don't have another TNT tire to compare it with.Maybe a bit tougher than a Schwalbe snakeskin.

P.S. I did have a ***** of a time getting it off,had to stand on the bead to get it to drop into the center channel but no problem getting it over the rim wall.

Here, diagonally!
    Another data point. I tried a Bomboloni in a standard 2014 29er Pike on an i35 and it rubbed the crown. Not horribly, but there was basically zero clearance, so on the trail on corners it would rub. I would have had to clearance the crown to fix it, which I elected not to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bomboloni Data Point

On i23 rims 67 mm casing and 72 mm tread. This was after 6 months riding. I also ran at 18 psi as front tire with zero issues. Very round, but felt great.

On i35 rims it is about 73 mm casing and 74 mm tread. Still round. This is a new tire, so will stretch another 1 mm based on last bomboloni experience. I am running this at 15 psi, and it is still plenty round. Diameter is about 752 mm, but that measurement is a little difficult.

Also - GOMA 29x2.4 data
    on i29 rim is 62 mm casing/63 tread mm
    on i35 rim is 64 mm and 64 mm
    Also about 750 mm diameter