34T Cassette upgrade to 50T 27.5+- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

New question here. 34T Cassette upgrade to 50T 27.5+

Hey All! Still pretty new at this. I'm looking for a new cassette for my Framed Bobtrax 27.5+. (https://www.the-house.com/qfrbasx275...med-bikes.html)

I went on a pretty steep ride with some guys and I was gassed and falling behind the whole time. I noticed my largest chain ring is a 32T-whereas the rest of the crew had much bigger chain rings for an easier climb. I live in Colorado, so lots of Elevation changes

My bike is a 9 speed. Looks like the Box 3 prime 9 would give me a 50T (https://www.boxcomponents.com/Box-Th...1&custcol5=196).

What other suggestions that would give me a 50T do y'all have?
    I'm also trying to not break the bank. It's a $650 bike, so putting a $300 Cassette doesn't make a lot of fiscal sense for me.

Do I need to switch out the shifters, chain, derailleur? or can I simply put a new cassette and adjust the derailleur?

Do I need to worry about spacing?

Mtn Biker Machinist
    If you want to save money, & donít care about weight or aesthetics, Iíd recommend the Microshift Advent group. You can get 9, 10, or 11 spd wide range 1x groups for less than a SRAM Eagle cassette. Your local bike shop should be able to advise what youíll need, & order it for you.

https://www.microshift.com/en/produc...untain/advent/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    You'll most likely need a longer chain and possibly a derailleur if your current one won't make the jump to the 50.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I'd second going Advent(X if within budget) as it a great bang for the buck setup & people see to really like it.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    I'd second going Advent(X if within budget) as it a great bang for the buck setup & people see to really like it.
    This^

I upgraded my sonís bike to Advent X 10 speed. The cassette, shifter, derailleur, & a new chain was $175 ordered through my local shop. I installed everything myself, and setup was super easy, and it shifts great. Not as smooth as high end Shimano or SRAM, but perfect for him, and easy on my budget. His bike was 3x9 before, so I also switched the front chainring to a 1x Narrow wide.

A standard 9 speed derailleur wouldnít work with a wide range cassette unless you get an adapter. Your chain will also be too short to run a 48 or 50 tooth cassette.

Bottom line, you might be able to cobble together a bunch of stuff to work with your current setup. But the Advent X group is cheap, reliable, & works well together. Itís your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk