29+ Trek STache 9 Tubeless Problems- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

29+ Trek STache 9 Tubeless Problems

Hello All,

I just bought the new Trek Stache hardtail. The rear tire holds air just fine after 2 rides, but the front goes flat in one hour. To put it lightly I am pissed after spending $3600 on this bike. It rides awesome, but that flat tire has me upset. Anybody care to comment or help? It would be greatly appreciated. I am running 18-20 psi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29+ Trek STache 9 Tubeless Problems-stache.jpg  

Professional Hobbyist
    You didn't say much about what you've tried so I'm gonna ask the simple questions first. Did you try adding some more sealant? Does the bead look properly seated all the way around? Can you see sealant bubbling out of the valve stem or anywhere else? Can you feel the source of the air leak?

I'm assuming the bike came with tubes installed and you then converted it yourself. How did the tubeless tape look when you had the tire off the rim? If one is holding air, then you can probably get the other one to do so as well with a little tlc. Nothing that can't be solved...

I run my non plus bikes in the 18-22 psi range with wide rims at 190lbs before gear. With those big tires I'm assuming you can easily get down to the 12 front -15 rear psi range.
    Work expands to fit the time allotted...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have my Stache 5 set up tubeless and in 2 weeks , no problems . I have them set at 20 psi but I am 265 lbs, didn't want to take a chance of going too low. I would do a step by step rule out until you find the problem. Sealant would be a good first step.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was forced to do my wife's front wheel (Stache 7 29+) after a long thorn pierced the tube. No problems, and it is holding air many days later after a refill.

How much sealant did you use?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's probably the valve stem. Make sure that nut is as finger tight as possible. After you add the sealant and bounce/shake it around, Store the wheel with the valve stem at the bottom for a couple of days. This will allow the rubber particles in the sealant to seal up and dry around the valve.

If you still have a problem holding air, then I would suspect the rim tape is bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Might be time to pull the front tire...

Quote Originally Posted by jasonpicos View Post
    Hello All,

I just bought the new Trek Stache hardtail. The rear tire holds air just fine after 2 rides, but the front goes flat in one hour. To put it lightly I am pissed after spending $3600 on this bike. It rides awesome, but that flat tire has me upset. Anybody care to comment or help? It would be greatly appreciated. I am running 18-20 psi.
    ... and redo and check everything. I took delivery of my Stache on 6/23 and had the shop set it up tubeless. They used Stan's with 5oz. sealant front and back. I weight 210lbs. and run 12psi. After 35 miles this past week it's holding air like a champ.

29+ Trek STache 9 Tubeless Problems-eef3c661fdabccea421ad7450d3e6fcd.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    First thing I would check is to make sure the rim tape is lined up properly. On my front the tape was installed a little off and it would slowly leak sealant.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Did tubeless on my new Stache 5. Initially I was stoked because the tape came already installed on both wheels, just remove the tube and insert tubeless valve and BAM, instant tubeless, and that's how easy it was on the front. However, rear was completely different. I am not sure if tape wasn't installed properly, but it wouldn't hold. So I tore the tape of and started over. What I found was, the inner rim (Sun Ringle Mulefut) was "slick", like whatever their process anodization (sp?) process was, it left the rim to slick for tape to properly adhere. I used a wire wheel on the end of my air powered drill and scuffed it up. Wiped with acetone. Still to slick. Folded up some 220 grit sand paper and sanded the inner rim walls (all the way up the sides) and about a 1/4'' down into the rim "valley's" where the rim strip goes. Then wiped off with a dry paper towel, no more acetone, as that seemed to make the rim slick again after the acetone dried. Then, I trimmed the rim strip about 3/8'' to maybe a half of an inch, because from the factory it is so wide, it doesn't leave a lot of metal for the tape to grab onto. Put it back together with a combination of Scotch 8898, and some 75mm wide Stans tape I had left over from Fatback, and it works so well it doesn't lose any air, even without any sealant.

I am a huge proponent of going up each inner sidewall all the way with your tape, because that lets the tire bead hold it in place so the tape is used as a gasket. I never have leakage issues and have set up countless rims tubeless, and once I go through this process, I have never, ever, had a single issue with leakage and they always hold air without sealant overnight so I know I got a great seal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Do yourself a favor and just order the tape from Fatback. They sell a tubeless kit for the Footprint rim, it is about 80mm wide. Lay the tape down the center of the rim and don't even try to lay the tape perfectly up to the bead hook, just overlap it and let it run over the edges for now. Then massage the tape smooth up both sides of the inner rim wall, then use a razor blade to trim it right under the bead hook on the inside of the rim. It will hold forever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonpicos View Post
    To put it lightly I am pissed after spending $3600 on this bike.
    You are having an issue with tubeless tire setup on one tire. The bike didn't explode or anything. That's nothing to lose your mind about.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    On my 7, the factory tape wasn't set up right. The shop put on a couple wraps of tubeless tape to square it up and it's held air prefectly since.

mtbr member
    If run tubeless fail,check out the rim tape well and enough,ENVE manual says that may be more than one layer rim tape will be needed and enough latex sealant.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Drop some glitter in there with the sealant. Works, and legal in all 50 states now.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    I had the same issue on my 5. My LBS used the supplied yellow tape, I took that off and replaced it with Gorilla tape. No problems since.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustlewhumber View Post
    Drop some glitter in there with the sealant. Works, and legal in all 50 states now.
    AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! F'n hilarious...had me roll'n!

Funny how the OP never came back and responded to anything after being SOOOOOOOOO pissed about not knowing how to set up tubeless properly.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    What is the weight on the stache 5 and 7? And how does this bike compare to a steel 29+?

mtbr member
    One suggestion for tape installation (after cleaning the rim) is to install a tube with the tire, inflate to max and leave overnight. That way the pressure from the tube pushes the tape nice and tight for good adherence.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    One suggestion for tape installation (after cleaning the rim) is to install a tube with the tire, inflate to max and leave overnight. That way the pressure from the tube pushes the tape nice and tight for good adherence.
    No need for that. The first step is to unroll the tire and let it lie flat for a while to get rid of the kinks in the bead, that's why they won't seal when you just unroll them and just slap them on the rim. Then inflate to max to seat bead, add sealant and spread it around, then overinflate to somewhere between max and riding pressure. Let it sit overnight then lower pressure before you go riding.

Tubeless isn't exactly "easy" but a couple minutes of work on the night before a ride can spare you countless problems in less comfortable conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Picked up my Stache 9 yesterday. I had the LBS go ahead and convert to tubeless. When they went to get the bike, which was on display in the front of the store, the rear tire was flat. I had previously read this tread and half expected this to happen. They put more sealant in it, aired it back up and said, "go ride it and it will be fine". Not an hour later it was flat again with sealant coming out of the rim holes.

I decided to fix it myself instead of wasting more time at the LBS. I broke it down last night and found that it has the black vinyl strip that covers the holes, and then what appears to be yellow rim tape that is barely wider than the vinyl strip. A good portion of the tape was to one side which left the other side completely open. It wouldn't have mattered how much sealant they used, it would have never sealed lilke that.

I cleaned the rim, left the yellow tape as is, and run two narrow pieces of gorilla tape around each side of the rim all the way into the edge of the rim. My compressor at home didn't have enough volume to air the tire back up so I brought it to work today and with a large blast of air it immediately seated the tire. I shook it up good and it hasn't leaked down one bit.

Tubeless conversion complete! Now it's time to hit the trails and confirm that I made the right bike choice!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdaled View Post

I decided to fix it myself instead of wasting more time at the LBS.
    Sad, but true. My LBS experience lately has been awful.

Enjoy the new bike. You'll love it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So how much slime pro should I use for each tire on the Stache5? This will be my first tubeless set up.
    Should I test it without slime first?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Slime or Stan's?

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    What is the weight on the stache 5 and 7? And how does this bike compare to a steel 29+?
    Stache 5 18.5" with carbon post and bars 25lb even tubeless. I used 3oz stans with factory tape and valves, haven't had a single problem in 75ish miles
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    Stache 5 18.5" with carbon post and bars 25lb even tubeless. I used 3oz stans with factory tape and valves, haven't had a single problem in 75ish miles
    Which bars and post did you go with?

and slime.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropout33 View Post
    Which bars and post did you go with?

and slime.
    whisky bars 760mm flat bar and matching post. super low key which is nice
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    some good advice here, what happened to the OP? did he get a full refund on that shitty bike that he couldn't get set up tubeless properly? I hope so!

sounds like a super shitty bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    5 attempts at tubeless today and I still can't get it ti work on my Stache 5.
    I tried the tape the bike shop installed took that off and tried strapping tape.
    I tried Gorilla tape in two strips.
    I tired the wide 1.88 Gorilla tape in one strip which kinda worked but the bead didn't set. Took the tire off and trimmed a little on the edges thinking that would work, put sealant in aired it up and it started leaking out of the lightening holes and the bead.

I officially give up. Going to stick with tubes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wait, did you try gorilla clear tape over the spoke holes? You need to put it on tight by stretching it. put on one layer, then put on one layer of black gorilla tape. Use exacto knife to trim excess at the bead seat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So I need to put tape underneath the rim strip on the spoke holes? I have no leaking out of the spoke holes just the lightening holes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You want to cover all the holes. You want the tape to completely cover the inside of the rim right up to the beadseat. Once you install tire, you dont want to take the tire off for any reason. Using a tire lever usually messes up gorilla tape. So you have to get it right the first time, install tire and sealant then air it up.

Doesn't trek provide rim strips for the stache? Those are guaranteed to work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    When I first aired up it was leaking out of the bead. Actually I didn't remove the tire after that I just deflated and trimmed with the tire on the rim. Then added sealant, aired it up, and then it was leaking out of the lightening holes.

Yes rim strip was installed from dealer.

So I taped on top of the rim strip all the way bead to bead with the 1.88 gorilla tape which is wide enough to do so. I did not tape underneath the rim strip, which I am pretty sure is not necessary.

RAKC
    Take the rim strip OUT. With tubeless you use tape only, no rim strip. There's YouTube videos on how to properly install the tape. And leaking at the bead is normal if the tape is on the bead seat. The sealant will plug it up just fine, that's why they have something called the "Stan's shake".

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you remove the rim strip won't sand and dirt stick to the tape through the lightening holes?

RAKC
    Oh my bad wrong rim, forgot those had holes.

But tape has to go a good bit to either sides and if using narrower tape takes 2 wraps so the overlap in the middle as well. Make sure tires take a good amount of pressure to pop onto the rim all the way. If they go on easy/low pressure, then rim tape needs to go up onto the bead seats. Make sure you put in enough sealant and give the tire a good shake all the way around (wheel laying on its side) to get sealant up around the bead to seal any areas that are leaking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm talking about the tubeless rimstrip. If it's a tubeless ready rim, bontrager probably sells a tubeless rimstrip. Pop it in and you're done. You won't need any gorilla tape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Finally got it

I bought this tape from Home Depot the brand is Frost King and its indoor/outdoor weather seal tape. 2in X 100ft for $7.49
    So on the 8th try I finally got it to work.
    I cleaned all the residue from the gorilla tape, put two layers of this tape, set the bead to make sure there wasn't any leaks, then broke the bead in one little spot to add sealant and aired it back up.

29+ Trek STache 9 Tubeless Problems-img_3104.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice! I've never tried that one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    sorry I am late to the conversations. Make sure that the "weep" holes are covered with tape. There are several very small holes drilled in the rim right at the sidewall and the factory tape normally misses a few of these. I am running 13psi and I weigh 170ish and used 4oz of Stan's.
    2014 Specialized AWOL
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Trail
    2016 Stache 7 (for sale)
    2017 Kona JTS
    2018 Trek Domane SLR
    2018 Trek Stache 9.7

Kalamazoo Michigan