29 plus worthwhile? Help!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

29 plus worthwhile? Help!

I have a 2014 9zero7 that I use as a full fat for winter riding with clownshoes and snowshoe XL tires. It's an awesome bike, so much so that I would like to continue using it during the crummy weather months before I bring out the RIP 9 RDO. My question is, is there much point with buying another wheelset and going 29+ with the fatbike, or should I just suck it up and ride the Rip knowing full well I will have to clean it a lot during those bad weather months? The trails I ride are either slow and technical or fast and flowy but not technical. The RIP is new to me, I had an Anthem 29er last year and it was great, just not so much on the really technical and downhill stuff that I experience occasionally on trips, etc, so I opted to try a more trail oriented bike. I'm thinking 29er plus could bridge the gap for me, as I would treat it more like my flowy and non technical XC trail bike and my RIP would be reserved for the more demanding terrain. I can get a brand new set of rabbit holes on 907 hubs and knards for $750 all in, but is it really necessary? To clear it up, I don't really want to spend the money unless it will serve as a definitive purpose in my bike stable. If I would be just as happy in the muddy months on my RIP than I'm not interested in the 29+. THoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Only you can decide if it's worth it but here is how I ended up with one.

I went into 29plus with really low expectations. I loved the fat bike and wanted to get some more use out of it. I had a nicely built rigid SS that I would put gears on in the winter for a gravel bike. I decided to steal a lot of parts of it to upgrade the fat bike and sell the rest to buy a 29plus wheel set. I knew it would make a great gravel bike with the 29 plus but beyond that I didn't know.

I have since rode it on a variety of trails and absolutely love it. It is now a 29plus bike that I only put the fat tires on when it snows. I bought a new Trek Superfly FS 9.8 a couple months ago I still haven't ridden because I always grab the 29plus.

You may differ from my opinion but it's a setup I will ride all year and will probably ride the most miles this year.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That's kind of my fear to be honest. Besides my winter fat wheelset, the rest of the fat build is a budget build in comparison to my RIP. I don't want to spend money and have my cheaper bike be the one I use all of the time while my carbon full squish bike hangs on the wall and I hear all about it from my wife! Part of me says stay away from 29 plus to avoid too much of a good thing. LOL

mtbr member
    Hey puds, go 29er+ now or wait two years when everybody else does. You won't regret it and you'll find a wonderful midsummer day to bring out the carbon to feel something totally different only to get back to that 29er+. Looks like you're looking advice/suggestions and my vote would be to go 29er+
    Last edited by Chemandy70; 03-20-2015 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    I ride an Alloy RIP 9 and a Single Speed Surly Krampus, and I use the Krampus just like you plan to do with the 29+ 9zero7. It is a nice diversion and makes the smoother, easier trails a bit more challenging. My only concern with your plan is that there really isn't a great mud tire available for 29+ right now. Maybe the Chronicle? The Knards are horrible once things get really sloppy.

Proudly Plus-Sized
    I'm down (consciously) to my Pugsley only, and am really happy with it as a year-round bike as I live in AZ and won't ever see snow. I don't find my fat wheels to be a bother, in fact the whole bike is down to 30lbs, 1x10, tubeless with Mammoth's. It's not a bling build or a budget build, but it works for me. Everyone I talk to keeps telling me how I have to get a set of 29+ wheels for summer (which is ridiculous considering my conditions are summer-like year round) and I am considering it, but really I ask myself how much do I really need them as I don't find my full fat to be a bother.

So yes, I'm one of those stupid guys that rides a fat bike year round, on dirt. Oh the horror. People tell me it must not be fun dragging all that tire around, but somehow I always come back with a smile on my face. Still not sure if I should invest in the 2nd set of wheels, just rambling I guess.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    I have put miles on both in off road rocky and sand conditions. IMO They are both Awesome! However, 29+ IS FASTER! MUCH FASTER. I think that 29+ is going to be a great choice for southern riders and a summer option for our arctic brethren. I prefer 29+ down here considering the effort needed to move a 29+ is much less (higher efficiency) which will help me cover big off road miles better. But if I ever spend time in snow I would hope to be on a fatbike.
    Mikee Likes It! :cool:
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Dumb question maybe, but isn't 27.5+ closer in diameter to a fat 26 than a 29+ is?

mtbr member
    Great question 27.5+ tires being released right now are around the ball park of 2.7 in wide.
    Both 27.5+ and 29+ are very very close to actual outer diameter of 26 fat. Consider that 26x4 is actually a little shorter than 26x4.5 or 4.8. Too bad we don't have motorcycle tire sizing style which would tell us how tall the actual out dameter really is. 29+ is just barely taller than 26x4.5 or 4.8, however the wider rubber is "like riding with your brakes on" vs 29+, don't get me wrong fatbikes can be fast.... 29+ is simply undeniably MUCH FASTER.
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    Seeing 29+ rigs on the internet makes them look like "clown bikes" especially when you look at them next to traditional sized wheels and tires. When you see a 29+ bike in person it doesn't look abnormal. It looks just right, and it feels even better. I can't begin to tell you how much that extra tire volume adds to traction and COMFORT. Just great for backwoods treks into timbuk2. You feel invincible.
    @gordosbicycleclub

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavemanmikee View Post
    Seeing 29+ rigs on the internet makes them look like "clown bikes" especially when you look at them next to traditional sized wheels and tires. When you see a 29+ bike in person it doesn't look abnormal. It looks just right, and it feels even better. I can't begin to tell you how much that extra tire volume adds to traction and COMFORT. Just great for backwoods treks into timbuk2. You feel invincible.
    What if I feel invincible on my fatbike already? I'll feel even more invincible on 29+? I have never felt like I was riding around with my brakes on. I rode a Krampus and it felt like I was driving a limo it was so long. Granted, that bike wasn't set up for me or my riding style, but the ride on that back to back vs. the Pugsley is what sold me on the Pugs. Maybe the Krampug would feel better. I do not know, just trying to decide if its worth ~$750 to find out.

mtbr member
    I have not ridden 26x4.0 in dirt, i'm sure they are much faster than 4.5's or 4.8's. I also feel invincible riding the fatbikes i have ridden. I just feel like I can get from point a to point b much faster on 29+. When I say feels like the brakes were on. I was riding 26x4.8 fatty and at higher speeds it straight up felt like the tires were the only thing dragging me down. You may have seen other folk post on here about riding downhill on their fatties and only being able to reach certain top speeds before the tires are what is actually slowing you down....or only allowing you to go so fast. My gut tells my 26x4.0's or even surly's 3.8's would be a VERY GOOD summer option for fatties for increasing speed and overall utility for no snow riding. I think we will see more people buying fatties and having summer 29+ wheelsets built up for them.
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Our local single track is only 3.2 miles long so you get to know every inch of the trail. This is great for comparing bikes. Biggest issue with the fat tires on it to me was carrying momentum. Areas that I could carry speed from a fast section thru a slower section the fat tires would just die.

The 29plus is just fast. Several of my friends have ran there fastest laps ever on the 29plus.

mtbr member
    Hey blaklabl, noticed you are riding pugs. are you running 4.0's?- I can imagine they would be much faster and able to run a bit higher pressures than 4.5's or 4.8's. I have only ridden an oem pugs in a parking lot. But I can see 4.0 fatties being just fine (OUTSTANDING) for summer months or southern riding. I was heavily considering running a 3.8 or 4.0 set up as my main machine. However after riding 29+ and being over 6 ft tall. It just works for me. On another note i've seen a few folks build up Krampugs and I think they look killer, and if ground speed equaled with midfat comfort is what you are looking for i'm sure they would be a bit faster/more efficient than 4.0 or higher.
    @gordosbicycleclub

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Hey blaklabl, noticed you are riding pugs. are you running 4.0's?- I can imagine they would be much faster and able to run a bit higher pressures than 4.5's or 4.8's. I have only ridden an oem pugs in a parking lot. But I can see 4.0 fatties being just fine (OUTSTANDING) for summer months or southern riding. I was heavily considering running a 3.8 or 4.0 set up as my main machine. However after riding 29+ and being over 6 ft tall. It just works for me. On another note i've seen a few folks build up Krampugs and I think they look killer, and if ground speed equaled with midfat comfort is what you are looking for i'm sure they would be a bit faster/more efficient than 4.0 or higher.
    Yes, I am running Maxxis Mammoth 4.0's. Really a big Ardent with a lower middle tread so it rolls really well/fast. I am able and prefer to run ~10.5/11psi on hardpack, any thing less on that terrain suffers from severe self steer (any tire I have tried does). I am considering the KramPug, I am just concerned that I then would have a set of wheels hanging around I wouldn't use, especially since I don't ride in snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    27.5+ tires being released right now are around the ball park of 2.7 in wide.
    Not true. There is one tire (WTB Trailblazer) that is around 2.8, depending on rim width. All the others are around 3".

Both 27.5+ and 29+ are very very close to actual outer diameter of 26 fat.
    That is completely false! 27.5+ is very close the outside diameter of 29x2.0/2.1 and 26x3.8/4.0.

29+ diameter is bigger than anything else, including 26x4.8.

Running 29+ on your fatbike will raise the BB a very noticeable amount. Depending on your bike, that may be a good thing or a bad thing.

29+ is simply undeniably MUCH FASTER.
    This I agree with 100%!

Frame Building Moderator
    27.5+ would be a better choice, as bikeny points out, unless you want a much higher bottom bracket (29+ is ~25mm larger radius than your fatbike wheel/tire, though it'll vary a bit depending on the 26xfat you compare to.)

Honestly, if you want to feel fast - put on some knobby 2.2 or 2.3 or 2.4 29er tires. Hey, it's an XC bike again!

-Walt