mtbr member

29” x 3.0” Maxxis Chronicle on WTB i25s ...

I wanted a set of 29” for my Trek Farley Ex 8. I ride “moderately” hard I guess. Nothing more than 4 foot drops some jumping. They went on to the rims pretty easy but snug. I pumped to 40 psi to set the bead then backed them down to 25 psi (under 30 psi max).

Am I going to die? Here is what they look like:

-703fa1fc-ec5c-4af9-8065-3f6fa7dc8616.jpg

-5ba149f4-3ece-4280-8cb3-6b67847d8e8a.jpeg

-c09d792e-68cb-4a94-9534-0c6f0bb8294d.jpeg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -457b4b86-7dff-402a-8ca9-4d6e25c38bc9.jpg  

2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickin’ sweet!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Ride it. If you like it, it's good to go. If you don't like it, change it up. You may have to play with the pressure because there is less volume with the narrow rim. You are certainly not going to die .... Haha.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    There's people who use and say they like running 3" tyres on narrow rims, me, I personally do not, you cannot take advantage of the lower pressures they can afford you, would not run on narrower than i35 myself, but as said, give them a go, no you shouldn't die, if you like them
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Looks like you found a great way to run a heavier tire and use less of its surface area for traction. Congratulations!

mtbr member
    ^^^
    There's always at least one, isn't there? Shakes head.

I'm running chupas on i30's and the tires feel great to me. Bring a gauge when you ride so you can adjust pressure to find the sweet spot.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can ride that tire on skinny rims with high enough pressure.
    Go too low and you may experience foldover with that exciting instant loss of traction.
    Set it up right and see how you like it until something 40-50 comes along to experiment with.
    The problem is the cost of the wheels you'd need to really figure out what works for your terrain.
    Some shop should demo or rent wheelsets in different widths, use your own cluster.
    Until then everyone's is great and anyone else is always the one who thinks something else is better.
    And is, of course, wrong.

mtbr member
    Thanks for comments guys. I've got thick skin so all good

I got the rims dirt cheap so figure I could give the 29+ a go on my Farley Ex without spending $500+. If I like the ride, I will certainly upgrade to i40s / Minions, I just didn't want to drop $500 on an experiment!

Thanks again for the thoughts!

mtbr member
    My only comment is you should never inflate your tires higher than the max. written on the sidewall, which I think you said was 30 psi, even for initial bead seating. That's just asking for them to blow off the rim and destroy the bead. Inflate to max pressure and leave them there for a few days if you can. If the beads don't pop in at that pressure, use a little soapy water on the beads.

Now that you lowered the pressure, no you won't die. But you are also using a heavy tire without getting all the benefits they can provide. Play with the pressure to see how low you can go before they start to fold over or you smack the rim.

mtbr member
    I have 29x3.0 rangers on 35mm internal wheels. I am able to run 14 psi rear and 11 psi front with a rigid fork. 12 psi gets bouncy and 10 psi is too low and will hit the rim too much. Running that low a pressure sets them apart from my 2.35/2.2 combo I ran on 21mm wheels at 21 psi and 28 psi. I would doubt you could run that low a pressure on 25mm wheels and as such the tire may feel strange. Either bouncy or squirmy. at 11psi on pavement the front will "self steer" a bit due to the imense grip. However I avoid pavement as much as possible and that effect goes way on normal desert dirt.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I will add to this by extrapolating that a 3" tyres MAX PSI would be based on running on the "appropriate" width rim, so mounting it on that much narrower rim, the effective MAX PSI will go down, i.e. the possibility of blowing it off the rim, even at listed Max PSI, is very good, because even for that rim and a 2.4" tyre, the listed max pressure is 35 PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    My only comment is you should never inflate your tires higher than the max. written on the sidewall, which I think you said was 30 psi, even for initial bead seating. That's just asking for them to blow off the rim and destroy the bead. Inflate to max pressure and leave them there for a few days if you can. If the beads don't pop in at that pressure, use a little soapy water on the beads.

Now that you lowered the pressure, no you won't die. But you are also using a heavy tire without getting all the benefits they can provide. Play with the pressure to see how low you can go before they start to fold over or you smack the rim.
    Curious how much you weigh Joe? Ask as I recently built an i35 rear up to try with 3" tyres and the lowest I go is 16 PSI in back with a proto CST BFG wire bead tyre with thick casing and in front 11 PSI is about safe on an i39 rim with a DHF EXO. I weigh about 175-180lbs ready to ride on a rigid Unit.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I have 29x3.0 rangers on 35mm internal wheels. I am able to run 14 psi rear and 11 psi front with a rigid fork. 12 psi gets bouncy and 10 psi is too low and will hit the rim too much. Running that low a pressure sets them apart from my 2.35/2.2 combo I ran on 21mm wheels at 21 psi and 28 psi. I would doubt you could run that low a pressure on 25mm wheels and as such the tire may feel strange. Either bouncy or squirmy. at 11psi on pavement the front will "self steer" a bit due to the imense grip. However I avoid pavement as much as possible and that effect goes way on normal desert dirt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    If i were going to go for 29er Right now id probably try xr4 in a 2.6 on an i35. If i wanted to have a 3.0". Then you should run i45

mtbr member
    It will work, but you won't be able to take advantage of the capability of the tire at low pressure. Even with a 38mm wheel with a 3.0" tire folds in hard berms at anything below 17psi with me at 200lbs. Maxxis does have decent sidewall strength but even they wallow. Straight line it will be fine.

It would be best to run something more in the 45mm+/- range

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse6F View Post
    If i were going to go for 29er Right now id probably try xr4 in a 2.6 on an i35. If i wanted to have a 3.0". Then you should run i45
    I had XR2 29x3" on i46 and i40. I much prefer i40. it had far too much sidewall exposure and scrapes/slices on the sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    I wanted a set of 29” for my Trek Farley Ex 8. I ride “moderately” hard I guess. Nothing more than 4 foot drops some jumping. They went on to the rims pretty easy but snug. I pumped to 40 psi to set the bead then backed them down to 25 psi (under 30 psi max).

Am I going to die? Here is what they look like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	703FA1FC-EC5C-4AF9-8065-3F6FA7DC8616.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	334.1 KB 
ID:	1232768

Name:	5BA149F4-3ECE-4280-8CB3-6B67847D8E8A.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	464.4 KB 
ID:	1232770

Name:	C09D792E-68CB-4A94-9534-0C6F0BB8294D.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	366.6 KB 
ID:	1232771
    The only thing that you will die from is mounting those tires torsional crooked. I believe it was Richard Cunningham (I think) who said something like "Any bike mechanic worth anything mounts the tires with the brand label opposite the valve stem."

Hahahaha, anal, I know. Ever since I've heard that, I spin the tire so it's mounted with either the brand label or model label opposite the valve stem for a proper looking professional build. (Shake my head... I'm so pathetic)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    I had XR2 29x3" on i46 and i40. I much prefer i40. it had far too much sidewall exposure and scrapes/slices on the sidewalks.
    That's where terrain consideration can limit setup for maximum performance. If your terrain, like mine, has roots and round rocks that don't slice sidewalls the wider rim is the better choice to get the bigger footprint at medium speeds. 40mm goes with the 2.6. Match your setup to your terrain and speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Curious how much you weigh Joe? Ask as I recently built an i35 rear up to try with 3" tyres and the lowest I go is 16 PSI in back with a proto CST BFG wire bead tyre with thick casing and in front 11 PSI is about safe on an i39 rim with a DHF EXO. I weigh about 175-180lbs ready to ride on a rigid Unit.
    I am 170lbs. The back is pretty good at 14 psi, but even at 11psi front I will bang a rim if I am sloppy with how I load the front end. I am learning to be smoother and pick my lines and unload the front. The rear is pretty much a non issue. I just ride it like normal.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    The only way you will use those side knobs is if you are an ex MotoGP rider

mtbr member
    Are those the Tough or Light casing version? Guessing the Tough, as Light is quite light with not much sidewall support, or at least from my experience with the Light version of the TrailBoss, although they still offer more support than the 120TPI Rekon EXO original tyres, but no where near the DHF EXO 3".

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I am 170lbs. The back is pretty good at 14 psi, but even at 11psi front I will bang a rim if I am sloppy with how I load the front end. I am learning to be smoother and pick my lines and unload the front. The rear is pretty much a non issue. I just ride it like normal.

mtbr member
    Those are Light Casing.
    Joe

2x is underrated
    Thanks for comments guys. I've got thick skin so all good

I got the rims dirt cheap so figure I could give the 29+ a go on my Farley Ex without spending $500+. If I like the ride, I will certainly upgrade to i40s / Minions, I just didn't want to drop $500 on an experiment!

Thanks again for the thoughts!

"Nothing more than 4-foot drops"??? I think you could die on any tire doing that lol.

For your setup, this is almost exactly what I did too, an experiment: $95 for the WTB i25 front wheel, $35 for the WTB 2.8. It works, but the bike understeers at higher speed on long, sweeping turns. It corners just fine, that's not the problem (I'm cornering under 12 mph so that's not high speed).

Just to see if a Maxxis DHF 2.8 had more traction, I took off the WTB and put on the Maxxis on the same i25 rim, so far so good. I don't feel any strangeness with the tire but it is floaty on pavement, but that's normal I suppose. No problem at all off road. But again I'm not going 30 mph DH and doing 4 foot drops either!

Both tires measured 2.55 inches wide on an i25 rim. The current Raidon fork I have could probably handle 2.75 inches on an i40 rim, but I went through the mud yesterday and even the 2.55 on the front had a lot of mud stuck on the fork between that and the tire. As in it was hard even to get the mud out off the fork. Maybe I'll get an i35 front rim later, maybe not, the Maxxis seems pretty good on the i25 right now. PSI is currently 17, it will probably get floppy under 14.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    Rode them today on some pretty rough terrain. No big hits on the trail but had the opportunity to get airborne a few times. I felt fine at 20 psi. Some nice banked turns great for railing went off without a hitch. More testing is in order but I give them good marks from today! I don’t mind slightly more firm tires so the 20 psi felt good to me!

This place needs an enema

This is a great way to look at it. Not the ideal rim width but if they were cheap and they allow you to figure out what works and doesn't, that's good enough for now.