27.5plus /29 mid plus hardtail frame Obsession- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

27.5plus /29 mid plus hardtail frame Obsession

What 27.5 plus or 29 mid plus hardtail bikes/frames are you guys riding and loving this summer? I love my Esker Hayduke but it limits my 29er wheel swap choices. Iíd like to find something that can clear 29x2.6Ē tires easily.
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

Mtn Biker Machinist
    3 years in, & Iím still digging this! Clears 29x3 XR4ís

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thatís looks like it could go anywhere? Thanks for sharing!
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    What bike is that? It's not as slack as many of the bikes on the market as it's a touring mtb but the Bombtrack Beyond+ ADV can do 29x3.0 tires. If it's anything like the 27.5+ model it be a good alternative to Surly KM & Krampus.

2020+ Kona Unit X can do 29x2.6(one review said oversized 2.6 fit no problem).

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    What 27.5 plus or 29 mid plus hardtail bikes/frames are you guys riding and loving this summer? I love my Esker Hayduke but it limits my 29er wheel swap choices. Iíd like to find something that can clear 29x2.6Ē tires easily.
    RSD Sergeant... Let's just say, versatility of 27.5 x 3.0/4.0, 29 x 3.25. Sliding dropout, standard equipment. Real plus vs. phony plus with a midfat undertone!

27.5plus /29 mid plus hardtail frame Obsession-img_1488.jpg

27.5plus /29 mid plus hardtail frame Obsession-img_1484.jpg
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    What bike is that?
    Unfortunately, not a production frame. I welded it in the Waltworks frame building class. Itís based on Waltís Ultimate Warrior frame. Walt has been building frames to clear 650b fat & 29+ for a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Older Hayduke, Jones SWB, Carbon Stache(Wife's) and just now building a Stooge Scrambler. Def Plus hardtail obsessed!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I gotta say, I'm running 29x2.6 on the rear, 29x2.8 on the front of my Krampus and it's felt perfect for the past two years. No complaints, all sorts of terrain and grades. fox34 120mm up front...
    Surly Krampus

Surly Karate Monkey

Surly Cross Check

Masi CX Uno Steel

Radically Redundant.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1417 View Post
    Older Hayduke, Jones SWB, Carbon Stache(Wife's) and just now building a Stooge Scrambler. Def Plus hardtail obsessed!
    Met too! I cram the biggest tires I can into every bike.

Velo Orange Piolet running 29x3 Fat B Nimbles (really 2.6 on 35mm internal width rims)

Even my gravel bike has been ďplus sizedĒ with 29x2.3 WTB Nine Lines at one point!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Unfortunately, not a production frame. I welded it in the Waltworks frame building class. Itís based on Waltís Ultimate Warrior frame. Walt has been building frames to clear 650b fat & 29+ for a while.

Walt's good peeps and has good things going on.

Warriors, come out to play-yay! *beer bottles clinking together*
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Esker Hayduke
    here on 27.5x2.6s. Loved this bike on the very first ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Hayduke w/27.5plus

Here is mine with a 27.5 plus set up. WTB i40mm and i45 rims (I like wider in front and 27.5x2.8 tires now but I'll put some 3" later. I swap out to 29'er Fr/RR or Mullet it. The largest I've fit in 29 rear config. is i35mm rims and 29x2.5" Teravail Ehline's. I have lately been putting Rimpact since I made that leap I can't go back. My rims don't get thrashed and the low air pressure damped feel makes my hardtail more capable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5plus /29 mid plus hardtail frame Obsession-haydukerimpact.jpg  

#1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    RSD Sergeant... Let's just say, versatility of 27.5 x 3.0/4.0, 29 x 3.25. Sliding dropout, standard equipment. Real plus vs. phony plus with a midfat undertone!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1488.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	518.1 KB 
ID:	1364093

Name:	IMG_1484.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	475.9 KB 
ID:	1364095
    After reading all your posts about the sarge, I'm thinking this is probably the perfect bike for me. Fat..ish, single speedable, etc. Problem is, they're out of stock. Any idea what time of year he gets these in?

mtbr member
    27.5plus /29 mid plus hardtail frame Obsession-skinny.jpg

Wanna ride bikes?
    Kona Honzo ST. Killer bike. Nice compliant ride. Not light.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5plus /29 mid plus hardtail frame Obsession-img_9544.jpg  

Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Nice, how heavy? What size tires are those?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Met too! I cram the biggest tires I can into every bike.

Velo Orange Piolet running 29x3 Fat B Nimbles (really 2.6 on 35mm internal width rims)

Even my gravel bike has been ďplus sizedĒ with 29x2.3 WTB Nine Lines at one point!

Totally agree with cramming the biggest tire possible, and my gravel has Velocity Blunt SS rims with only 700x38c tires now but my bike could clear 29x2.1Ē tires.
    As for my hardtailís my Hayduke just doesnít fit anything bigger than 29x2.5 and my Sola is 29x2.6 max.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

Wanna ride bikes?
    Nice, how heavy? What size tires are those?
    I don't weigh things that are rad.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Vassago VerHauen

It fits up to a 29 x 2.8 in the rear, even with the sliders all the way forward. If you do not mind the sliders all the way back, you can stuff a 29 x 3.0 depending on the tread size (not all will fit). I had a Vittoria Bomboloni 29 x 3.0 in the rear with the sliders almost all the way back, but I do not like how the bike handles with the longer wheelbase. I'd rather stick with a narrower rear tire so that the sliders are all the way forward. The bike handles better when the rear wheel is tucked into the frame.

I currently have the bike setup as a SS, and run the XR4 29 x 2.6 in the rear, and the XR4 29 x 3.0 in the front. Killer combo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Ti Mullet Honeymaker. 29x3/27.5x2.8 (sometimes x3 depending on mood). No sliding dropouts, but will run SS with singlenator some months.

The are supposed to release an AL frame, but COVID messed with things. Haven't heard ETA recently.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5plus /29 mid plus hardtail frame Obsession-mullet1.jpg  

-The back up bike needs a back up bike: n+2

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsalvaggio View Post
    Vassago VerHauen

It fits up to a 29 x 2.8 in the rear, even with the sliders all the way forward. If you do not mind the sliders all the way back, you can stuff a 29 x 3.0 depending on the tread size (not all will fit). I had a Vittoria Bomboloni 29 x 3.0 in the rear with the sliders almost all the way back, but I do not like how the bike handles with the longer wheelbase. I'd rather stick with a narrower rear tire so that the sliders are all the way forward. The bike handles better when the rear wheel is tucked into the frame.

I currently have the bike setup as a SS, and run the XR4 29 x 2.6 in the rear, and the XR4 29 x 3.0 in the front. Killer combo.
    That sounds like an amazing set up. Post a pic! My Sola SS has Paragon Rockersh(they donít slide back as far as sliders) the biggest tire Iíve put is a 29x2.6 and I agree slid forward makes a playful bike.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Name:	IMG_1488.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	518.1 KB 
ID:	1364093

Name:	IMG_1484.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	475.9 KB 
ID:	1364095
    Thatís super fat! Those rims look like i80mm?
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Mullet Hardtail party

Quote Originally Posted by TazMini View Post
    Ti Mullet Honeymaker. 29x3/27.5x2.8 (sometimes x3 depending on mood). No sliding dropouts, but will run SS with singlenator some months.

The are supposed to release an AL frame, but COVID messed with things. Haven't heard ETA recently.

Mullet is really a nice ride. I really like to run my hardtail as a Mullet but still use my 27.5 plus up front
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    That sounds like an amazing set up. Post a pic! My Sola SS has Paragon Rockersh(they donít slide back as far as sliders) the biggest tire Iíve put is a 29x2.6 and I agree slid forward makes a playful bike.

Here ya go...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5plus /29 mid plus hardtail frame Obsession-g2sdvjvqp7ggyzux0ciiyvrtvx4l1aykgh8_h-lug-o-1536x2048.jpg  

Rippin da fAt
    Thatís super fat! Those rims look like i80mm?
    Alexrims blizzerk 27.5 x 70ís i64. Proper width for 3.8/4.0 to fill out. This bike feels like a plus rather than fat.

Now if Schwalbe would step away from the water cooler and make Sarge some appropriate shoes!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Looks awesome and perfect for great times on the trails.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

Rippin da fAt
    Looks awesome and perfect for great times on the trails.
    As light and nimble as it is for a rigid, I really enjoy the plus bike feeling with the larger air volume. 83mm BB is awesome for a drama free midfat and plusser configuration. No chainline issues with the 70mm rims and no issue in q factor during cornering.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just looked up the RSD website. The amazing clearance that is gained with 157mm drops is what truly makes the the real mid 29er with 3Ē tires and maybe even fit a 27.5x3.8Ē tires in a 27.5 configuration?
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

Rippin da fAt
    Just looked up the RSD website. The amazing clearance that is gained with 157mm drops is what truly makes the the real mid 29er with 3Ē tires and maybe even fit a 27.5x3.8Ē tires in a 27.5 configuration?
    It's not limited to 157 but augmented with sliding dropouts to maximize the choices. The combination of 83mm BB, 157 and sliders make it all happen drama free!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    It's not limited to 157 but augmented with sliding dropouts to maximize the choices. The combination of 83mm BB, 157 and sliders make it all happen drama free!
    It can be done painlessly with 73mm BB and 148mm spacing. If youíre willing to be a dedicated SSer.

29x3.25 or 27.5x3.8.

And all you plus-obsessed folks shouldnít overlook 29x3.25. You can still buy the Crux and the Bulldozer (50 bucks each). If your bike fits it, Iíd be surprised if you ever wanted to go back to measly 3.0 . Tires (or lack there of) will be our biggest challenge going forward, so vote with your wallets!

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    It can be done painlessly with 73mm BB and 148mm spacing. If youíre willing to be a dedicated SSer.

29x3.25 or 27.5x3.8.

And all you plus-obsessed folks shouldnít overlook 29x3.25. You can still buy the Crux and the Bulldozer (50 bucks each). If your bike fits it, Iíd be surprised if you ever wanted to go back to measly 3.0 . Tires (or lack there of) will be our biggest challenge going forward, so vote with your wallets!
    Your bike is awesome, & youíre an animal for rocking the SS! I need to get Walt to build a rigid fork for my Ultimate Warrior so I can try the Crux or Bulldozer up front! I wonder if my rear yoke would clear the 3.25?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    29x3.25 or 27.5x3.8.

My Bombtrack Beyond+ is a 27.5+(2021 has more clearance), but I am fairly sure the fork can fit 29x3.25. Kind of want to try a the Crux up front paired with the 27.5x2.8 I currently have in the rear. Could be an interesting mullet setup, no?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Your bike is awesome, & youíre an animal for rocking the SS! I need to get Walt to build a rigid fork for my Ultimate Warrior so I can try the Crux or Bulldozer up front! I wonder if my rear yoke would clear the 3.25?

Iím not sure if that 29x3.25 would fit my SS. I have a ENVE Mtn fork and it handles the 29x3 Surly Dirt Wizard on i40mm rims so for. Iím really only limited on the stays with my SS I have Paragon Rockers that can only clear some 29x2.6 with it pulled back but usually I tuck 2.5Ē tires on it
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member

Thanks man, but more props to you for building your own!

I say do it with rigid fork. And while youíre waiting for Walt to build it, check out the Tandell carbon 29er fork as a placeholder. My buddy is running one on his Chumba Sendero. Itís $169 and super light and looks like itíll fit 3.25. I can try to stuff my front wheel in his fork tomorrow if youíre interested.

mtbr member
    Iím not sure if that 29x3.25 would fit my SS. I have a ENVE Mtn fork and it handles the 29x3 Surly Dirt Wizard on i40mm rims so for. Iím really only limited on the stays with my SS I have Paragon Rockers that can only clear some 29x2.6 with it pulled back but usually I tuck 2.5Ē tires on it
    The Dirt Wizard is much closer to a 2.8 than the 3.0 itís advertised as.

Just measured the crux for you. Also on an i40. 81mm knob:knob. Go measure your Enve clearance

mtbr member
    My Bombtrack Beyond+ is a 27.5+(2021 has more clearance), but I am fairly sure the fork can fit 29x3.25. Kind of want to try a the Crux up front paired with the 27.5x2.8 I currently have in the rear. Could be an interesting mullet setup, no?
    Why yes. No?

Do it! The rollover and cush of 3.25 is fantastic.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Thanks man, but more props to you for building your own!

I say do it with rigid fork. And while youíre waiting for Walt to build it, check out the Tandell carbon 29er fork as a placeholder. My buddy is running one on his Chumba Sendero. Itís $169 and super light and looks like itíll fit 3.25. I can try to stuff my front wheel in his fork tomorrow if youíre interested.
    Thank you! That would be great if you could check fit. Thatís a great price for a carbon fork, especially if it clears 29x3.25!

mtbr member
    Thank you! That would be great if you could check fit. Thatís a great price for a carbon fork, especially if it clears 29x3.25!

Cool. Iíll give it a go tomorrow and send you a pic.

Rippin da fAt

29x3.25 or 27.5x3.8.

While Sarge I wears 27.5 x 3.25's full time, Wildcat wears em from time to time too. As for Sarge III, the 29 i45's are in the works so 29 x 3.25 or 27.5 x 3.8/4.0 are doable, gears or singlespeed. No fvcking around with shit chainline issues with an 83/157. Dedicated SS is the Middlechild!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I like the plus. My spesh 6fattie stumpy runs 27.5"x3.0". Its a blast as all bikes are. But setting up to drop in on a steep single track on a ht is burly! Miss my fuse 6fattie w 150mm fork. Ht rock!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5plus /29 mid plus hardtail frame Obsession-img_5475.jpg  

Knorth - 2017 Jamis DragonSlayer Pro
    Tinkerbell - 1995 Trek 930

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for checking!
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Thanks for checking!
    Here you go. Thereís tons of room in the Tandell fork. We didnít install my wheel, but I broke out my trusty Harbor Freight caliper to measure.

My Duro Crux, knob-to-knob on an i40 rim is 81mm wide. The Tandell looks to be at least 105mm inner width. Check out how it swallows the Terevail Coronado 2.8...

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse6F View Post
    I like the plus. My spesh 6fattie stumpy runs 27.5"x3.0". Its a blast as all bikes are. But setting up to drop in on a steep single track on a ht is burly! Miss my fuse 6fattie w 150mm fork. Ht rock!
    It is very unfortunate that 3.0 is going away while the industry shoves 2.6 in our faces. Pisses me off to no end!

CCSS,
    If the Tandell fork were 500mm A/C, I would hafta have one... I read in their FAQ's that they will do custom. Will follow up on that.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    It is very unfortunate that 3.0 is going away while the industry shoves 2.6 in our faces. Pisses me off to no end!

CCSS,
    If the Tandell fork were 500mm A/C, I would hafta have one... I read in their FAQ's that they will do custom. Will follow up on that.
    1st Iím in violent agreement with your feelings about real plus vs micro-plus..

2nd the Tandell is 495mm A:C. So close! Couldnít you just get one of those taller crown races?

Rippin da fAt
    1st Iím in violent agreement with your feelings about real plus vs micro-plus..

2nd the Tandell is 495mm A:C. So close! Couldnít you just get one of those taller crown races?
    Dammit, CCSS! Mellow out so we don't get popped!!

Sarge's aluminum fork is 500, frankly, 530 would be preferred to bring up the front end a wee bit. 500 being a minimum so I don't have to reach down too much, scoliosis does that...

Micro plus is meh... Now Schwalbe is on that train wreck, I'm pissed! Still wanna find a tire company that would make some tires for us. I'll keep that endeavor going and see where it goes.

Sent emais to Terravail on the topic of 29 being limited to 2.8 at best. This is really getting old! They can make a Coro in 27.5 x 3.0 but not 29? Discouraged in terms of a 29'r wheelset for Sarge III since 3.0 is far and few between lest I want those dead and fvck DH 28 ply 50 pound tires, which I want nothing to do with. /end rant
    Doctor recommended...