27.5+ Tires - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 27.5+ Tires

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    My 650b Duallys arrived, 530/540gm
    Wait... 530-540g for a Dually 650b?

That's what my Blunt 35 weighs.

Seely, a Velocity employee, posted a pic of a 650b Dually weighing in a 628g.

Quote Originally Posted by seely View Post
    Here you go:
    Attachment 942062
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post

did that include the bowl it was balancing on??

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    did that include the bowl it was balancing on??
    One would have to assume that the TARE button was pressed

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Joined this party late.....
    is there a 27.5+ rim that can be laced offset for my wife's 907.
    She is too short for 29+ and wants a summer wheels set.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Unless I didn't look at the numbers right... I'll check it again when I get a chance.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Unless I didn't look at the numbers right... I'll check it again when I get a chance.

Sounds about right! 540-ish sounds more like a Blunt 35, which I also have a set of. I apologize if I mixed up the two weights anywhere in the 27.5 forum!
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member
    Had the 628g rim been drilled for nipples yet or was it a raw rim?

Rocks belong
    The link I quoted still works and is from the picture Seely posted 2 pages back...

There are spoke holes and its a black (not raw) rim

mtbr member
    Anyone needing a pair of WTB Trailblazer 27.5 x 2.8, send me a PM.

Tired are sold, thanks for the interest.
    Last edited by bikeny; 12-20-2014 at 04:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Bikeny, I just saw your PM and and responded back. Sorry for the delay

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Was this posted?

Mounted to a more conventional DT Swiss FR 570 rim with a 27.5mm internal width, The Trailblazer fits in a 27.5 Focus SAM.

Plenty of room for this tire on a 27.5″ Pike.

DI.A 2015 Breakout Sessions | Are 650b+ Wheels the Future? | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine

I hope the tire manufacturers make more tires that just barely fit in the Pike 275, since that is the tightest clearance of the 160mm 275 forks, if it fit in those, it'd fit in anything, and I'd be tempted to hold onto my 275 bike for awhile longer.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    27.5+ Tires-image.jpg
    It's been requested I show visual proof of Trailblazers/Duallys on a Soma Bside V3 frame. Apparently I'm restricted from responding to private messages so I'll post the pic here. Been riding it for a month with no issues, and sliding dropouts only 2/3rds the way back.
    It's actually slightly narrower than my Dually/Dirt Wiz setup which was my original setup.

mtbr member
    need pics of clearance, Clarence

mtbr member
    27.5+ Tires-image.jpg27.5+ Tires-image.jpg27.5+ Tires-image.jpg
    I lied, the dropouts are only 1/3 the way back.

mtbr member
    what is the chainstay length range on that frame again? Thanks for posting these photos. Also what travel do you have on that Loop? And it is a 650b Loop - clearance looks tight at the arch on the fork. No?

mtbr member
    I've got 2.8's working on 420mm chainstays with 1x ring clearance to 34t with a 49mm chainline.

Not played hard with wider rims yet. Suspect it'll all be fine.

mtbr member
    What Rims Brant?

I think SomaFab has their geometry numbers backwards. The Reach Numbers and ETT numbers need to be reversed no?

27.5+ Tires-soma_geochart_bside_2014.jpg
    For example if you add Axle to Crown Height - Reach decreases not increases like they show it - correct? Their numbers should be flipped I think.

Damn I should take a grinder to the seatpost and chainstay "nubs" that stick out of my D.O.C!

Live Free & Ride
    My 650b Duallys arrived, 530/540gm, look like the P35 but wider, similar quality, not sure on the price as it's my buddies shop, but they were cheaper to him than the WTB.

Building these up with Origin 8 fat bike hubs 150/190, db spokes, nothing fancy, they will be my three season wheel for my fat bike, still waiting on the Vee Rubber Trax...

On an aside, I have ridden the Trax Fatty tire pattern in a narrower version on my 36er, they are a nice all around tread, decent wear, fast, suprisingly good traction.
    Looking to do something similar, but still looking for 150/197 hubs. Where did you order the Origin 8's from? See them at Jensons but not the size I need. Good to hear about an actual ride on the TF tires too....those are on the list. Thnx : )
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    About 16.7ish to 18". That's eyeballing the tape measure. It's a 100mm Loop. Very tight clearance but it's an old fork that's seen more than it's share of abuse so I've shaved the arch a few mm's and now it's fine. I believe a 29er fork would be ideal so I'm currently shopping the market for one.
    One thing about these tires, I landed a jump wrong and the rear tire almost bounced me over the handlebars. Kinda like a fat bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    What Rims Brant?

I think SomaFab has their geometry numbers backwards. The Reach Numbers and ETT numbers need to be reversed no?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soma_geochart_bside_2014.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	949635
    For example if you add Axle to Crown Height - Reach decreases not increases like they show it - correct? Their numbers should be flipped I think.

Damn I should take a grinder to the seatpost and chainstay "nubs" that stick out of my D.O.C!
    The Reach should get smaller with a longer fork. The ETT should get longer. Since the Seat Tube Angle gets slacker that increases the ETT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MikenIke View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	772 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	949480
    It's actually slightly narrower than my Dually/Dirt Wiz setup which was my original setup.
    Can you offer thoughts on the dually/dirt wizard compared to the equally/trailblazer? Trying to decide what to do right now on a build up- thanks!

squish, squish in da fish
    i too would like to know, also if anyone knows where to score polished dually's that'd be awesome. i didn't hold off for them in the 29 version, but i want them polished for the 650. oh one last thing, what is the actual erd of the dually? trying to get everything here ready to go

mtbr member
    The Dually/Dirt combo was a thing of beauty. Point and shoot and hang on. Forgives bad lines and makes it look easy. Not bouncy or dodgy at all, just positive traction everywhere. The bad part was the low BB with these on the BSide. Pedal striker! One reason I can't get into fat bikes....too low.
    The Dually/Trailblazer combo is of course a wheel size bigger at 27.5 so immediately higher BB. Up high where I like it. The traction is good but def not DW good. No cornering side knobs to speak of but fast rolling and forgiving with direct hits on rocks. Just try not to hit the sidewalls. The Trailblazer is bouncy where Dirt Wiz is stable and grounded.
    I like both sets for different reasons.
    I might try the 26" DW on back with the Trailblazer on front next time out and see how that goes. 67er plus?
    Anyways hope that helps.

mtbr member
    It just occurred to me that you may want to know what conditions I ride in to help your decision. I'm in The southern Rockies where we have rocks, clay mud, broken shale, and cactus. Steep climbs wash-outs and big drops. When I show up for a club rides I'm usually the only guy on a Hardtail, riding at the front of the pack. We ride all mountain and usually there's at least one good crash or bike broken. I'm on my second Soma frame since May. We go hard, and burn through a quart of Stans pretty quick with all the cactus.
    The Dually rim is bulletproof, always straight and takes a hell of a beating. Don't have enough time on the WTB tire to speak of it's durability but the Dirt Wizard is unstoppable. If you're clumsy and fast like me go with the Wizard.
    If you are more of a cross country rider I would recommend the Trailblazer.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    i too would like to know, also if anyone knows where to score polished dually's that'd be awesome. i didn't hold off for them in the 29 version, but i want them polished for the 650. oh one last thing, what is the actual erd of the dually? trying to get everything here ready to go
    Check mpgear.com

They don't specify black vs polished, but show a picture of polished

mtbr member

Views:	541 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	949595
    Get a 26 wheel and mount a 2.8 tire on it. It will fit much better.

thx hokie, but i did a quick filter of velocity rims and didnt see dually's under velocity. pro wheel builder has em for $136, but thats a lil rich, so i will wait. i have $650 to build my own and i can do it just need em to come down 20 a rim. i paid $106 for the 700's. i might just go with some swiss fr570's if i can't fight off the fiend in me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    Pulled from Velocity's website

Dually 27.5
    27.5"+ & 29"+, Mid Fat, and Fat Race are what this thing is all about. Perfect for sand, snow, trail, and everything in between.

Double wall for increased stiffness and tubeless ready!

Specs

RIM SIZE: 27.5"

WIDTH: 45mm

HEIGHT: 18mm

TIRE INTERFACE: Clincher / Tubeless

VALVE: Presta 32 - 40mm

BEAD SEAT DIAMETER (BSD): 584

EFFECTIVE RIM DIAMETER (ERD): 565

WEIGHT: 640g

DISC ONLY DRILLINGS/COLORS:
    32 spoke: Black, Polished

thanks sully, i read that too. i'd like an actual erd as when i built my 29 dually's the erd was smaller by 2 on the front and 3 on the back. that was averaged taking 4 measures per hoop. i'll just wait til i have em in hand.

Rocks belong
    FWIW, my Velocity Blunt 35 ERD was off by at least 5mm

yeah my p-35's were under quite a bit also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Get a 26 wheel and mount a 2.8 tire on it. It will fit much better.
    Did that, it was fine but the BB was too low, hence the move to 650b+.

Who will be producing a 275x3.0 tire? Will Surly get into the game with a 650b Knard?

i hope they don't waste their time with that tread pattern.

Big wheels keep on rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Who will be producing a 275x3.0 tire? Will Surly get into the game with a 650b Knard?
    the Panaracer Fat b Nimble is a 3" 650B+ tire in production. The Panaracer FB says early Feb 2015 availability.

mike

banned
    I could like the Panaracer tire. Spokesperson says that the kevlar bead could be less expensive at 60 bucks a tire:

Panaracer Interbike 2014 - Mtbr.com

Quote Originally Posted by senor_mikey View Post
    the Panaracer Fat b Nimble is a 3" 650B+ tire in production. The Panaracer FB says early Feb 2015 availability.

mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm real happy to see these B+ tires coming out. Now I wish there was some full suspension bikes to fit them. This size fits in well. I find my 4" tires to be a little much yet the 2.3-2.4" are not quite enough on loose terrain. After riding fat for so long the 2" tires feels sketchy offroad.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    I'm real happy to see these B+ tires coming out. Now I wish there was some full suspension bikes to fit them.
    The B+ fits great on the back of my 2012 TBa. More clearance than the back of my '13 DB Mason (that I currently have my WTB 2.8/Blunt 35 mounted on)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So any chance the 2.8's would fit on a bike like a Trek Slash or Giant Reign? I may just skip another fat all together. I Scott bikes and Rocky Mountain has future plans for the B+ but nothing solid on release dates, no prototype pics so I'm guessing it maybe many months away yet.

You best bet is to take pictures of the current clearances and post it, or if you're like me and have some 29er wheels/tires laying around, fit those and see how much clearance you've got.

In my case, my 150mm travel full suspension 650b bike can fit a 29x2.2 with plenty of clearance, so I think I'm safe with a 2.8 or even a 3.0 tire.

mtbr member
    The B+ fits great on the back of my 2012 TBa. More clearance than the back of my '13 DB Mason (that I currently have my WTB 2.8/Blunt 35 mounted on)
    The industry and marketing gurus are setting the "standard" for 27.5+ at 45mm ID and up.... There is an article that was recently written about the Ibis 41mm and they made that distinction.....

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomik Carbon View Post
    The industry and marketing gurus are setting the "standard" for 27.5+ at 45mm ID and up.... There is an article that was recently written about the Ibis 41mm and they made that distinction.....
    Ok?

banned
    Now that would be a wide starting "standard," given that full fat 26 rims go as narrow as 65mm presently. The idea would make sense if present "wide" mtb rims are to become the new normal. That last idea is not impossible, despite the opponents to change who argue otherwise.

Do you have a link to the article?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    Now that would be a wide starting "standard," given that full fat 26 rims go as narrow as 65mm presently. The idea would make sense if present "wide" mtb rims are to become the new normal. That last idea is not impossible, despite the opponents to change who argue otherwise.

Do you have a link to the article?
    Just In: Ultra Wide Ibis 741 Carbon 27.5 Wheels

Not sure what to think.....latest twentynineinches.com article says that 30-35mm is the ideal ID for the 2.8 tires and EASILY fits most of the 29er out there. What is very confusing is that WTB is coming out with their new rim at 45mm ID and they claim that it will fit most existing 29ers. I cannot imaging that they would have done this without testing amongst several existing frames and why would they develop a wide rim that will fit new frames that have not yet been introduced ???

banned
    Ah thanks. I've read about those wheels, perhaps even on Ibis' own website. Dimensionally, they're the same as Derby wheels, being 41mm wide in outer width, and 35mm wide on the inside. A few of us have put the WTB 2.8's on Derbys, and like how they go together.

I'm doubtful that 45mm wide rims will fit the 2.8 tires in the rear of "most" 29ers. Even stick a 2.4 x 29 tire with Stans Arch EX in the back of some 29er hardtails, and there's barely 5mm of clearance at the chainstays.

Just In: Ultra Wide Ibis 741 Carbon 27.5 Wheels

Not sure what to think.....latest twentynineinches.com article says that 30-35mm is the ideal ID for the 2.8 tires and EASILY fits most of the 29er out there. What is very confusing is that WTB is coming out with their new rim at 45mm ID and they claim that it will fit most existing 29ers. I cannot imaging that they would have done this without testing amongst several existing frames and why would they develop a wide rim that will fit new frames that have not yet been introduced ???

Rocks belong
    That Rocky Mountain Sherpa had a custom rear triangle, as the stock rear teiangle wouldn't clear the WTB 2.8 on the i45 rim.

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Now I only need some tires :-)

(50mm version)

27.5+ Tires-img_20150104_202526.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post

(50mm version)

Name:	IMG_20150104_202526.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	952756
    Nice. Thinking about doing this, too. 170mm hub? What size spokes?

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yes the Hope 177mm hub for the salsa beargrease. I used 262 for the left and 260 for the right side. But I think they could have been 260 and 258mm. DT Swiss 2 - 1.5 - 2, total weight 980 grams.

Edit: I got this from freespoke, but I ordered some wrong sizes and tried the ones I got. Seems to be ok. Spoke length left 260.6 right mm 259.4
    Last edited by Tor; 01-04-2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: extra info

banned
    Very nice. I didn't even know Nextie made 50mm x 27.5" rims until you posted this. Good to see somebody cooperating with this nascent categorical subdivision.

(50mm version)

mtbr member

(50mm version)

Name:	IMG_20150104_202526.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	952756
    That's a nice looking wheel. I'm hoping that the tire selection for 650b+ materializes.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1strongone1 View Post
    Just got these mounted up, on my Wiseman which was designed for 27.5+. I will take them out for a ride tomorrow.

First impressions are they are just a tad larger in diameter compared to my 3.8 larry mounted on a Schlick Northpaw, barely. The rim is a Nextie 40mm, which is perfect for these tires. I think the tire size will be perfect for singletrack.
    Hola 1strongone1,

What an AWESONE ride, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Saludos,
    Federico
    Cycling in developing countries, making & printing portraits for those families who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

mtbr member
    Has anybody tried to install 650B+ wheels and tires on a Remedy 29 ? I wonder if rear end is large enough for a 2.8 or 3.0 tire...

mtbr member
    Does anyone out there have a 2.8 Trailblazer they can sell me, loan, me whatever...I have an entire bike being planned around this tire and can't get my hands on one to make sure it will work. If anyone can help please PM me, thanks much!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manhattanprjkt83 View Post
    Does anyone out there have a 2.8 Trailblazer they can sell me, loan, me whatever...I have an entire bike being planned around this tire and can't get my hands on one to make sure it will work. If anyone can help please PM me, thanks much!
    Where are you located? I'm not currently using my set - but A Nony Moose has em and is testing for fit in various frames he has. I don't want to sell, but maybe I could loan.

Rocks belong
    "Must spread more rep before giving more to MMcG"

nvphatty
    "Must spread more rep before giving more to MMcG"
    i slapped him with some and well earned, oh and you jus cuz.

mtbr member
    i slapped him with some and well earned, oh and you jus cuz.
    Thanks guys!

P.S. I have an OS Bikes BlackBuck frame coming my way and the plan is to B+ it! Stay tuned as the project unfolds!

Rocks belong
    Thanks guys!

P.S. I have an OS Bikes BlackBuck frame coming my way and the plan is to B+ it! Stay tuned as the project unfolds!
    Wheelbase is 42 with a 17 chainstay length.... tasty

mtbr member
    Wheelbase is 42 with a 17 chainstay length.... tasty
    I think it'll rock - I have several different fork options I can utilize with it too to get different types of "feel" from the bike.

Rocks belong
    I think it'll rock - I have several different fork options I can utilize with it too to get different types of "feel" from the bike.
    Glad to see that you found a SS frame that met all of your requirements! Looking forward to seeing it built up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    27.5+ Tires-image.jpg
    27.5+ Tires-image.jpg
    27.5+ Tires-image.jpg

Hello from Japan.
    it's Ragley BluePig X with P35 and Devinci Atlas with Nextie40mm.
    both works well! The best size(wide and diameter), new experience!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone run a high rollers 27.5x2.4 as tubeless?

Have you encountered any problems?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsurun View Post

Views:	408 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	956197

Views:	398 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	956198

Views:	548 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	956196

Hello from Japan.
    it's Ragley BluePig X with P35 and Devinci Atlas with Nextie40mm.
    both works well! The best size(wide and diameter), new experience!
    That's amazing you got it to fit in the Blue Pig!

Views:	398 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	956198
    Makes that little XC whip into quite the beast. I always wish they had made that frame with an angleset in mind.

mtbr member
    Makes that little XC whip into quite the beast. I always wish they had made that frame with an angleset in mind.
    That thing looks crazy cool in a weird/wild way with that small frame size and those massive wheels/tires! Love it!

Rocks belong
    No joke! The Devinci Atlas would be on my short list if you could get the HTA down around 68*... I think it's 71* stock?

If I was keeping my SC Tallboy AL (need size XL, my frame is a Large) I could get it down around 69* with a 120 SID/Reba and an offset shock bushing on the frame side mount of the shock. Adding -1-1.5* Works Components headset would make it into a short travel, B+ monster! (But I'd have to remove the offset bushing as it would lower the BB even more)

Rocks belong
    That's amazing you got it to fit in the Blue Pig!
    You ain't kidding... I didn't realize that I Blue Pig is a 26" frameset until I just Googled it.

mtbr member
    You ain't kidding... I didn't realize that I Blue Pig is a 26" frameset until I just Googled it.
    I knew it could be converted to 650b - I did it once with a Generation 1 Blue Pig - but didn't think there'd be a chance in hell for B+ing one!

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Love that blue pig b+ ! Now I regret that I sold mine. Do you think that the b+ tire will fit a blue pig with rear derailleur mounted?

mtbr member
    Love that blue pig b+ ! Now I regret that I sold mine. Do you think that the b+ tire will fit a blue pig with rear derailleur mounted?
    Maybe the reason it fits is because of the ENO rear hub (I'm guessing that's what he's using) allowing the wheel to sit a bit further back from those three finger chainstay dealios on the Blue Pig Frames.

Rocks belong
    Maybe the reason it fits is because of the ENO rear hub (I'm guessing that's what he's using) allowing the wheel to sit a bit further back from those three finger chainstay dealios on the Blue Pig Frames.
    Eccentric rear hub? Crazy!

mtbr member
    Eccentric rear hub? Crazy!
    Yep White Industries - pretty trick hubs!

Lord Thunderbottom
    anyone have info on any more release dates?

WTB emailed me saying march for the 2nd batch and they are almost all spoken for before even getting off the boat

what's the word on the vee or panaracer tires?
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    And what about the maxxis chronicle in 27.5 version?

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    what's the word on the vee or panaracer tires?
    Don't want to make promises on anyone's behalf, but I've been in touch with Vee recently re: the 27.5 Fatty Trax and it sounds like they are on track for the end of the month. I'd bet they are almost all spoken for as well, though.... been trying to get my hands on pair for some thorough testing!

Rocks belong
    Really wish the VTF was a 3.0" instead of 3.25"... 3.25" puts it in rigid/fatbike fork only territory.

beer *****es n' bikes
    It's nowhere near 3.25 in real life... more like 2.9

Rocks belong
    It's nowhere near 3.25 in real life... more like 2.9
    But the few reports I've read says that it won't fit in a 29er fork... RS, Fox, Manitou...

beer *****es n' bikes
    But the few reports I've read says that it won't fit in a 29er fork... RS, Fox, Manitou...
    That may be the case, but it still runs on the very small side

mtbr member
    As we know the width of the tyre depends on the width of the rim.
    I wish to use the T-Fatty on a new custom frame, and I'm in trouble about the fork.
    I'm waiting for WTB Scraper rims and for now I could see only that with normal 28mm wheels fit well on PIKE 29er fork.

27.5+ Tires-15894645159_891f1c66fd_c.jpg

27.5+ Tires-15461066863_7f03709432_c.jpg

The Trax Fatty 3.25" on this rims are only 73mm but I'm afraid on Scraper rims it will be much wider ! Will see ...

27.5+ Tires-15458791624_3000ab40b2_c.jpg
    Last edited by CROPCIRCLE; 01-26-2015 at 01:55 AM.

Rocks belong
    Well, the Pike is not known for the best tire width clearance... so maybe the F34 guys will fair better?

Appreciate the pics. Any idea when your Scraper rims will come in?

mtbr member
    Appreciate the pics. Any idea when your Scraper rims will come in?
    The wheels will be shipped in a few days, I hope to come soon from USA to Italy. Here in Europe they say will be available in March; cannot wait .
    So stay tuned I will post the result as soon as possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It's bit cheat because this is Blue Pig "X" that has Swopout Dropout of Horizontal end.
    Rear brake pad touches only inner half. hahaha.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No joke! The Devinci Atlas would be on my short list if you could get the HTA down around 68*... I think it's 71* stock?
    Stock maybe the number, my one has 140mm 34 so bit more slacker like RX model. But I want bit more slacker head and reach. Sm size was too short reach and wheelbase for descent.
    I like Split pivot so I'm watching Salsa Horsethief if it would fit 650B+.

This is side shot.
    Atlas small LO mode, fox34 140mm,
    27.5+ Tires-image.jpg

Rocks belong
    I noticed they came out with an RX where they put on a 140 fork... HTA is down around 68.5 in the low mode. That's getting better, I'd like it to be 67-68*

mtbr member
    It's bit cheat because this is Blue Pig "X" that has Swopout Dropout of Horizontal end.
    Rear brake pad touches only inner half. hahaha.
    I didn't realize they did a Swapout dropout Blue Pig! Interesting!

mtbr member
    Stock maybe the number, my one has 140mm 34 so bit more slacker like RX model. But I want bit more slacker head and reach. Sm size was too short reach and wheelbase for descent.

This is side shot.

Views:	2961 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	958051

40mm wide internal or external rims? How much clearance all around in the rear end of that bike? is it tight up at the top?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hi Guys,

not many people have rims and tires , luckily i have both and the measurements are :

Vee rubber trax fatty on a 55mm fatlab rim with inner tube 84mm width

same rim and tire with tubeless milk 87mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    40mm wide internal or external rims? How much clearance all around in the rear end of that bike? is it tight up at the top?
    it's external.
    you can see the clearance on my tumblr.
    here

... Fox 34 140mm...
    Tons of clearance in the arch, but not a whole lot more than the Pike in terms of width. Looks like you could get the 3.25 VT Fatty on there, but barely.

Rocks belong
    Tons of clearance in the arch, but not a whole lot more than the Pike in terms of width. Looks like you could get the 3.25 VT Fatty on there, but barely.
    And probably only on a narrow rim.

Take a look at how rounded the VTF is on CROPCIRCLE's 28mm (assuming outer width?) rims. Those side knobs are really far down. For best traction (and a squarer profile, to get those side knobs up where they're more usable), I'd bet the VTF needs a Dually or a Scraper i45.

Quote Originally Posted by CROPCIRCLE View Post
    The Trax Fatty 3.25" on this rims are only 73mm but I'm afraid on Scraper rims it will be much wider ! Will see ...

Name:	15458791624_3000ab40b2_c.jpg 
Views:	4219 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	957928

It kinda sucks that we'll be forced to choose between long travel and 3" max tire on wide rims, or going to something like the Bluto.

Either that or everybody will be out buying the DT Swiss forks but I think they are only 120mm max travel.

mtbr member
    The DT Swiss forks go to 130mm for their 29" forks, and 150mm for their 27.5" forks. What I don't understand about these forks is that people say they are the ticket for 27.5+, but DT Swiss's official max tire width is 65mm for the 27.5, and 62mm for the 29" which is what I think you would want to run with a 27.5+ tire. I don't know if their official numbers are just very conservative or what. For what I want to do they are going to have enough travel, but they need to fit the Vee Trax Fatty on proper width rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    New to 27.5/650b

How wide can i go on a 2015 specialized stumpjumper evo comp?

Also im looking for some midrange spare tires too. Something under $50 each. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    ... but DT Swiss's official max tire width is 65mm for the 27.5, and 62mm for the 29" which is what I think you would want to run with a 27.5+ tire. I don't know if their official numbers are just very conservative or what. For what I want to do they are going to have enough travel, but they need to fit the Vee Trax Fatty on proper width rims.
    yea kinda hard for DT Swiss to deny "they won't fit", because twentynineinches has already proven that wrong.

And these are V Trax Fatties on Ibis 741 35mm rims.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill_B View Post
    New to 27.5/650b

How wide can i go on a 2015 specialized stumpjumper evo comp?

Also im looking for some midrange spare tires too. Something under $50 each. Thanks
    You're best to measure the distance between the chainstays at the yoke. My guess is that a 650b Stumpjumper probably will only fit a 2.6" max tire. You're better off going with a Hans Dampf 2.4.

This discussion is for considerably larger tires (2.8 and wide) that won't fit in most 650b specific frames.

mtbr member
    And probably only on a narrow rim.

Take a look at how rounded the VTF is on CROPCIRCLE's 28mm (assuming outer width?) rims. Those side knobs are really far down. For best traction (and a squarer profile, to get those side knobs up where they're more usable), I'd bet the VTF needs a Dually or a Scraper i45.
    I agree, if you want best GRIP you must use not less than 45-50mm rim. Dont' like when tyre look like a pear !

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You're best to measure the distance between the chainstays at the yoke. My guess is that a 650b Stumpjumper probably will only fit a 2.6" max tire. You're better off going with a Hans Dampf 2.4.

This discussion is for considerably larger tires (2.8 and wide) that won't fit in most 650b specific frames.
    Thank very much.

Rocks belong
    yea kinda hard for DT Swiss to deny "they won't fit", because twentynineinches has already proven that wrong.

And these are V Trax Fatties on Ibis 741 35mm rims.
    So a VTF on a Dually or a Scraper (or Hugo, but really that's more of a snow/soft surface rim than a trail rim) probably wouldn't fit?

Seems odd that Vee would go 3.25" if targeting the B+ market... Hell, the "+" market was paved by Surly and their 3.0" tires. But if your target market is summer tires for 4.8" fatties, I guess I can understand 3.25".

mtbr member

650B+ Tires

So a VTF on a Dually or a Scraper (or Hugo, but really that's more of a snow/soft surface rim than a trail rim) probably wouldn't fit?
    Dually 650B are available on eBay at almost half price of Scraper but... it seems if you use tubeless at low pressure sealant puff away, so better the TCS of WTB that are 5mm larger too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I see that vee tire USA have them in stock on the website. Have checked a couple of times and they haven't been avaible before. Here is a link: Vee Tire Co. Trax Fatty 27.5x3.25 Fat Tire

mtbr member
    I see that vee tire USA have them in stock on the website. Have checked a couple of times and they haven't been avaible before. Here is a link: Vee Tire Co. Trax Fatty 27.5x3.25 Fat Tire
    Has anyone successfully ordered one from their site? Or do they list them but they are actually backordered?

Anyone?

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I tried to order them earlier this month, but then it said " out of stock" so maybe they actually have them in stock, but I'm not sure

mtbr member
    I placed an order for one to run as a front tire and my order went through...........I'll keep everyone posted when I get an actual your tire has shipped email. Hopefully it won't be forever since they've already got my $$!

mtbr member
    I ordered a pair and should get them on Friday. I wasn't going to say anything until I actually had them in hand, but I'm taking a FedEx tracking number as enough proof that they are real. I could only get the folding bead, 120 tpi, silica compound version, which is what I wanted anyway. I ordered on 1/23, they shipped them on 1/26, and sent me an email that they had been shipped on 1/27.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Am I the only person to realize the Vee Trax will fit the RS-1s just fine ? There's nearly 4 inches of room between the uppers, plenty for 3 1/4 inch tires. Granted its an expensive way to go but it does solve the tire clearance issues nicely. There's also the Carver Suspension fork (also inverted and with clearance for 4" tires) which steers better than the Bluto and is 135mm thru-axle compatible (and usually includes the hub).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Am I the only person to realize the Vee Trax will fit the RS-1s just fine ? There's nearly 4 inches of room between the uppers, plenty for 3 1/4 inch tires. Granted its an expensive way to go but it does solve the tire clearance issues nicely. There's also the Carver Suspension fork (also inverted and with clearance for 4" tires) which steers better than the Bluto and is 135mm thru-axle compatible (and usually includes the hub).
    Trans-Fat 29+ Fork is only good for 90mm.

mtbr member
    I don't know if you are the only person to realize this, but I sure didn't. This sets my mind at ease, since the RS-1 will definitely work for my 27.5+ bike. Fortunately I'm not opposed to paying too much for parts if I have to. But I'll probably try to go with something else so I don't have to run a proprietary hub.

Trans-Fat 29+ Fork is only good for 90mm.
    Officially they claim up to 110mm with 90-100 being the usable range for most riders, which basically means it largely depends on your mass/riding, but locals with them are regularly pushing past the 90mm travel mark during fat riding in this area this winter.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

DeeEight, that very may well work for folks looking to rock B+ on a XC bike, but I think the majority of us are looking for forks that will fit a wide tire with 140mm travel.

mtbr member

650B+ Tires

DeeEight, that very may well work for folks looking to rock B+ on a XC bike, but I think the majority of us are looking for forks that will fit a wide tire with 140mm travel.
    Maybe the new X-Fusion REVEL:

http://www.xfusionshox.com/product/f...revel-hlr.html

mtbr member
    Yep forks will work - mega super expensive ones!

Exactly... if you want to play with big tires, you need to stop being cheap and buy proper equipment. I do laugh at WTB's assertion though that the scraper/trailblazer combo works with "most" existing 29er frames... but they don't exactly name any. Its not like when folks started converting to 650B and there actually were hundreds of 26er frame models already in existence with the diameter room to clear a 27 1/2 inch tire because large diameter 26er tires already existed. Most 29er frames were never designed to fit more than a 2.4 width tire because their was no need for more clearance as tires that wide didn't exist for ten years (WTB's claimed size of a 2.55 not included because outside the lab it never reached that width).

mtbr member
    I just got my Vee Trax Fattys. I'll try to put them on a wheel this weekend to see what they look like. I need new wheelset to actually use them. Weighed them on a poor scale at work, one was 880 gm and the other 900 gm.

This place needs an enema
    Anyone care to enlighten me on which 27.5 tires are available *now* in larger than 2.5"?

Ideally with a casing that doesn't fall apart at the sight of sharp rock.

I see Maxxis Minion DHF's in a 2.5" with DH casing, and WTB's Breakout in a 2.4 with a few casing options. Would love to get something in the 2.7" or bigger range for this customer.

Anything else?

Any help appreciated.

mtbr member
    i think the vee and the wtb are the only + size marketed as such...and im not seeign any availabilty anywhere *and* they dont fulfill your casing requirements probably - though my trailbalzer feels plenty solid, it doesnt to the best of my knowledge have any extra sidewall protection. its 68mm on my p35 rim...but tread is slightly narrower than max casing width. so whats that 2.67"?

other than that...2.5 would be the max afaik? just as you say really...trail king 27.5x2.4? they usually are relatively beefy?
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Anyone care to enlighten me on which 27.5 tires are available *now* in larger than 2.5"?

I see Maxxis Minion DHF's in a 2.5" with DH casing, and WTB's Breakout in a 2.4 with a few casing options. Would love to get something in the 2.7" or bigger range for this customer.

Anything else?

Any help appreciated.
    Pretty much what dRjOn said. Actually, I think the Vee Trax Fatty 3.25" is the only one that you can buy right now from the Vee web store, and only in 120 TPI casing. The first run of the WTB tires sold out quick and they are working on getting more out.

That said, I don't know if either would live up to your standards for sidewall strength. They are both much beefier than a 120tpi Knard, but nowhere near something like a DHF. Size wise, the Vee is more like a 3.0, and the WTB is more like a 2.7, depending on rim choice of course.

Otherwise you are looking at the normal array of 2.4 and 2.5 tires. Putting one of those on a 40mm to 50mm rim will make them around 2.6 to 2.7 wide. I've also read that the Geax Goma is pretty big.

Edit: Forgot to add that the Panaracer Fat B Nimble 27.5x3.0 is supposed to be out 'soon'

Rocks belong
    I've got a 650b Vee Trail Taker that seems to have decently tough sidewalls. It comes to a 2.4 on a Flow , 2.5 on a Blunt35, and still ends up very round. It would be a great fit for a Nextie40, Ibis 741, or maybe even a Dually. Going too mount it on my WTB Scraper i45 (which got delayed, again, now it'll ship 4-5 weeks past the intended ship date) and see how square it ends up at. Hell, might be perfect for snow riding?

mtbr member
    I just got my Vee Trax Fattys. I'll try to put them on a wheel this weekend to see what they look like. I need new wheelset to actually use them. Weighed them on a poor scale at work, one was 880 gm and the other 900 gm.
    I've yet to receive any shipping confirmation on my order.

mtbr member
    I think that Trail Taker is the current take on Kirk Pacenti's Mega Moto - is it not?

I have a pair of 2.4 Mega Motos and these tires are friggin tanks! Super thick and heavy duty tires. I didn't realize they were going to be so "tough/thick" when I won the via an eBay auction. They are "unique" tires IMHO - however I'm not sure I'm the right guy to actually put them to their proper use. But I may hang onto them anyway just because they are Mega Motos and were sort of way ahead of the curve a bit back when they were designed (not sure they were ever fully executed to the way Kirk wanted them though).

mtbr member

Front Tire Safety Comparison

I quick look at front tires on my Blur TRc from a safety standpoint. Up first the 26 x 2.35 Kenda Nevagal.

27.5+ Tires-nevegal.jpg

At first glance this tire looks fine. It has plenty of clearance, especially vertically. But this is actually a very unsafe setup.

27.5+ Tires-nodisc.jpg

And I'm not saying this because I'm bashing on 26" wheels. When I changed to a 27.5" wheelset, I also went to a 180mm front rotor. The 160mm front rotor on my old wheelset went onto the back 27.5" wheel.

27.5+ Tires-hrii.jpg

A 27.5 x 2.3 Maxxis High Roller II. This is a safe tire. Good at braking and cornering. Very confidence inspiring. And what does confidence lead to? More speed, less safety.

27.5+ Tires-traxfatty.jpg

A 27.5 x 3.25 Vee Rubber Trax Fatty. I had to insert the thru axle, then inflate the tire. There is no way you are getting up any speed with this in the front. Clearly the safest tire.

mtbr member
    Couple of shots of my 27.5 x 3.25 Vee Rubber Trax Fatty on a 40mm Derby rim next to a 26 x 4.0 Husker Du on 65mm Marge Lites. The VTF is 29" in diameter (736mm). I measured the bead to bead at 203mm. I didn't do anything fancy for that measurement, just measured it with a ruler the way that it came rolled up for shipment. It measured 74mm wide both at the knobs and carcass. The measurements and pictures were done at 20psi. I think i'm going to look for a 50mm rim for this tire.

27.5+ Tires-sidevtfhudu.jpg

27.5+ Tires-topvtfhudu.jpg

mtbr member
    Can you take a side shot vs from the top?

Rocks belong
    Welnic, is that a 26" Fox 34 fork?

mtbr member
    I've yet to receive any shipping confirmation on my Vee Rubber order - I hate the fact that I have no clue as to what's going on with the $135 of my money they now have..........

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Ditto on Vee

Ditto... ordered from Vee, no shipping confirmation.
    Last edited by moses667; 02-02-2015 at 07:46 AM. Reason: misspelling

mtbr member
    I've already taken the tire off so I could put my usable tire back on. Here is a zoomed in picture that I took of the whole bike.

27.5+ Tires-vtfside.jpg

mtbr member
    It's a 26" 130mm Fox 32 fork.

I ordered mine at 11:43am on January 23 and received notice that it had shipped at 11:42pm on January 27. But it had already been picked by FedEx at Ellenwood GA at 3:40pm on January 26.

mtbr member

650B+ Tires

The 650b+ fits a 26" fork?

mtbr member
    No, it doesn't come close to fitting. I wanted to try it on the 40mm rims that I have to see what the tire looked like on that width of rim. While it was on the wheel I put the wheel back on the bike. I had to insert the axle before I inflated the tire in order to get it in the fork.

mtbr member

650B+ Tires

Ok. That makes sense. So you are thinking that a narrow rim might allow you to run a 650b with that fork I am confused? My dad has the same fork but 650b size for his 650b so if yours fits that close should be no prob on his. Won't fit the back though. It would be cool to run that fork on my Mukluk instead of getting the bluto.

mtbr member
    I wanted to get the tires to put on my Mukluk. I didn't know what rim I should get for the tire. 50mm is pretty much the widest rim that you can get in 27.5. So I knew I either wanted 40mm or 50mm. Since I already have 40mm rims on my converted Blur Trc, I put the tire on that rim. It fits okay, but I think it would work better on a 50mm rim, so I ordered a wheelset with a Nextie 50mm rim. I had no illusions that it would fit on my Blur.

I think even with a 650b fork there might be issues with the tire hitting the top. The tire is a full 29" in diameter.

mtbr member

650B+ Tires

Would a 29er suspension fork instead of the bluto be a better route potentially if a guy is gonna go 650+?
    I am gonna get nexties either 27.5 or 26" 50mm. Which nextie did you get? What hubs? Who built them?

Already discussed. Few 29er suspension forks exist with the clearance needed for 3 1/4 inch tires. Even so called 29er Plus suspension forks are really only designed around 3 width tires. Really these tires are meant for a new planned breed of fat bikes meant more for summer use and bike packing adventure bikes.

delete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    Would a 29er suspension fork instead of the bluto be a better route potentially if a guy is gonna go 650+?
    I am gonna get nexties either 27.5 or 26" 50mm. Which nextie did you get? What hubs? Who built them?
    I'm getting 27.5 x 50mm Nextie rims. Hope Fatsno hubs. Mike Curiak is building my wheels. Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels

I think that if I was getting a suspension fork for my fat bike my mind would explode. If you get a Bluto then you can run 4", 5", 29, 29+, 27.5+ tires all on the same fork. But if you want to run those wheels on a rigid fork also, then you either need front hubs that can change from 135 to 150, or a 150mm rigid fork. You could get a suspension fork just for 27.5+ and 29, and then only run big tires on a rigid fork.

Too complicated for me. I find it simpler to get another bicycle. I'll have two wheelsets for my fat bike and a 100mm full suspension 27.5+ bike.

Rocks belong
    I think that if I was getting a suspension fork for my fat bike my mind would explode. If you get a Bluto then you can run 4", 5", 29, 29+, 27.5+ tires all on the same fork. But if you want to run those wheels on a rigid fork also, then you either need front hubs that can change from 135 to 150, or a 150mm rigid fork.
    From everything I've read (and from people I've talked to), they say once you ride your fatty with a Bluto, you never want to go back to a rigid fork

So yeah, building up a 4.8" fatty with a Bluto and an extra B+ wheelset for summer use would give you two bikes. That's my plan eventually. But I'm going to wait for a properly slack fatty frame with short chainstays and 197x12 rear axle spacing.

mtbr member
    I apologize for not reading the whole thread and I am sure this has been discussed.
    Which fork, Pike or 36 Fox have better clearence for 650+?

Unless they've narrowered the 36 Fox and changed the brace clearance after they switched the dropouts to 15 from 20mm, then the Fox should have better clearance. As to the Bluto's 150mm spacing, Salsa's fats as of this season have come with rigid 150mm forks, to ease upgrading to Bluto and you can order the forks from Salsa for about $150. They're tapered steerers, aluminium alloy and less than 700 grams each.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    DeeEight, can you point me in the direction of that fork? The only thing I'm seeing available is $450...

mtbr member
    On another note, I just got a response from Panaracer that the Fat B Nimble 27.5+ tires will not be available until late March . They previously said early Feb. on their Facebook page.

The wait continues...

you can go carbon fat fork this way...

26er Full Carbon Fat Snow Bike Fork 150 15mm thru Axle Tapered Steerer UD Matt | eBay

Or you can contact a surly/salsa or other dealer that deals with QBP to order one of the Salsa alloy forks as seen on the 2015 Mukluk 3s and Bearpaws.

Bearpaw 150 Fork | Parts & Accessories | Salsa Cycles

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    On another note, I just got a response from Panaracer that the Fat B Nimble 27.5+ tires will not be available until late March . They previously said early Feb. on their Facebook page.

The wait continues...
    Sigh. The WTB 2.8 is great for rear use, but I want more pronounced knobs for front use. It looks like a proper 3.0 tire will fit in Fox 34 forks, too bad Vee went with 3.25".

On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with my B+ rear/29er front setup.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    you can go carbon fat fork this way...

26er Full Carbon Fat Snow Bike Fork 150 15mm thru Axle Tapered Steerer UD Matt | eBay

Or you can contact a surly/salsa or other dealer that deals with QBP to order one of the Salsa alloy forks as seen on the 2015 Mukluk 3s and Bearpaws.

Bearpaw 150 Fork | Parts & Accessories | Salsa Cycles
    That Bearpaw fork is unfortunately the $450 one, nothing out there from salsa for $150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    That Bearpaw fork is unfortunately the $450 one, nothing out there from salsa for $150
    The Makwa carbon fork is the $450 fork. The Bearpaw is much cheaper and is aluminum. Although it looks there was a recall on the Bearpaw fork in December. Universal Cycles lists it at $250, but not in stock.

mtbr member
    The Salsa fork list is confusing. The way I see it:

Makwa Carbon Fork: $500
    This comes on all of their 2015 Beagreases. 135mm (142mm) front hub with a 15mm axle.

Bearpaw Fork: $250
    This comes on the 2015 Mukluk 3, and all of the 2104 Mukluks. 135mm front hub with a quick release. It has three water bottle cage braze-ons on each leg. Aluminum fork.

Bearpaw 150 Fork: $450
    This comes on both Blackborow models. 150mm front hub with 15mm axle. It has three water bottle cage braze-ons on each leg. Aluminum fork.

mtbr member
    The Salsa fork list is confusing. The way I see it:

Makwa Carbon Fork: $500
    This comes on all of their 2015 Beagreases. 135mm (142mm) front hub with a 15mm axle.

Bearpaw Fork: $250
    This comes on the 2015 Mukluk 3, and all of the 2104 Mukluks. 135mm front hub with a quick release. It has three water bottle cage braze-ons on each leg. Aluminum fork.

Bearpaw 150 Fork: $450
    This comes on both Blackborow models. 150mm front hub with 15mm axle. It has three water bottle cage braze-ons on each leg. Aluminum fork.
    You are right, confusing! Those look to be right though. $450 seems like a lot for an aluminum fork! Look at the 9 Zero 7 one I posted above.

mtbr member
    Been trying to follow this thread pretty closely but need to ask one question I am not positive I see an answer for.

Will the 3.25" Vee Rubber fit on a Rock Shox Pike 29 fork w/ a 27.5" 35mm Blunt Rim? Should right?

mtbr member
    Been trying to follow this thread pretty closely but need to ask one question I am not positive I see an answer for.

Will the 3.25" Vee Rubber fit on a Rock Shox Pike 29 fork w/ a 27.5" 35mm Blunt Rim? Should right?
    Very hard to know. Maybe someone out there who is lucky enough to have a Vee Rubber tire can test for you/us

mtbr member
    I don't want to open the flood gates but...well maybe i do.

The 3.25" Vee Rubber's just hit QBP's distrobution centers (just got my account alert). Have at it folks, just got myself one.

mtbr member

650B+ Tires

Yes fit. Look photos some posts above #481, on a 28mm rim. With 35mm it will be some millimeters more large, so a little difference. Enough space if you don't ride in the mud.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    That 907 fork is exactly what I need in my life, and $200 cheaper than Salsa's offering!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I just got that notification too. There are also a couple of listings on Ebay already. I wish that tire fit in the back of my Jones!

Also in stock at Ebikestop to $79.45, but I don't think shipping is free:

Vee Rubber Trax Fatty Fat Bike Tire: 27.5" x 3.25" 120tpi Folding Bead Silica Compound Black @ eBikeStop.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My Trax Fatty direct from Vee shipped today (took 5 days to go from order to shipped). Going to try it on a steel diamond and steel spaceframe Jones. Pretty sure it'll fit in the back of a steel Spaceframe Jones (most recent version).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moses667 View Post
    My Trax Fatty direct from Vee shipped today (took 5 days to go from order to shipped). Going to try it on a steel diamond and steel spaceframe Jones. Pretty sure it'll fit in the back of a steel Spaceframe Jones (most recent version).
    What rim will you be using? It did not fit in the back of my Thai Ti spaceframe on a 40mm outside Derby rim. Let us know how it works!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    What rim will you be using? It did not fit in the back of my Thai Ti spaceframe on a 40mm outside Derby rim. Let us know how it works!

I'm going to try the Dually; if the Fatty doesn't fit the Trailblazer will. I measured out space between the stays at over 80mm and the Fatty should be under 80mm on the Dually if measurements I've heard here are correct. This all depends on how it ends up falling in the space of course. A friend of mine has the steel diamond Jones so I'm going to give him the tire for him to try there first while I'm building up my Dually (I believe his rim is a Blunt). He's already running a Trailblazer on the rear. Once done with my wheel I'll try it on the SF (this year's orange model) which I believe has the widest rear clearance of the Jones bunch (don't know about the new Jones Plus).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moses667 View Post
    I got email notification as well. Now I'm wondering if I should have grabbed two - oh well. Plan on a Trailblazer rear Vee Rubber front combo. And with my other trailblazer maybe I'll go Mavic Quest 2.4 rear and Trailblazer 2.8 front on another bike. .................decisions decisions.............

beer *****es n' bikes
    Vee's were briefly in stock at Q yesterday/this morning. As of 8 EST this morning, they had 6 left.

That said, if anyone is looking for a pair, due to a stupid mistake on my part I may have an extra pair (had some come through from another source). Send me a PM if you're interested.

First impressions are they are very easy to mount, easy tubeless setup. No satisfying "pop" onto the bead but seem to hold very well even without sealant. I got the front to go up with glass cleaner and a floor pump, and used my compressor on the rear.

Weight is 935g, though the packaging clearly says 800g. I don't know why the huge discrepancy. 935 seems very reasonable for a high volume tire to me, so I'm not disappointed in the extra grams, but baffled at how they arrived at 800g.

Overall tires are super high quality, nice sticky compound, what you would expect to see in a high-end 120tpi tubeless tire. Haven't thrown them on the bike yet, but will give more impressions later.

mtbr member
    Vee's were briefly in stock at Q yesterday/this morning. As of 8 EST this morning, they had 6 left.

That said, if anyone is looking for a pair, due to a stupid mistake on my part I may have an extra pair (had some come through from another source). Send me a PM if you're interested.

First impressions are they are very easy to mount, easy tubeless setup. No satisfying "pop" onto the bead but seem to hold very well even without sealant. I got the front to go up with glass cleaner and a floor pump, and used my compressor on the rear.

Weight is 935g, though the packaging clearly says 800g. I don't know why the huge discrepancy. 935 seems very reasonable for a high volume tire to me, so I'm not disappointed in the extra grams, but baffled at how they arrived at 800g.

Overall tires are super high quality, nice sticky compound, what you would expect to see in a high-end 120tpi tubeless tire. Haven't thrown them on the bike yet, but will give more impressions later.
    check your in box....pm sent

Rocks belong
    My WTB Scraper i45 shipped!

mtbr member
    27.5+ Tires-image.jpg

Just another fun ride up in the woods on the big wheel.
    Ride it like you stole it!

western NC
    ^^Is that a 29er fork, or 27.5? I have a B side also, and would love to go this route.

Rocks belong

Views:	279 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	961730

Just another fun ride up in the woods on the big wheel.
    What rims?

mtbr member
    Yes sir, 100mm Reba 29er. I think 120mm would be even better, but I got a killer deal on this one. Those are 27.5 Velocity Dually's.

Rocks belong
    Yes sir, 100mm Reba 29er. I think 120mm would be even better, but I got a killer deal on this one.
    For about $30 I changed a Reba from 100 to 120. It just needed a new air spring shaft. The older RS forks might be as simple as pullin a spacer off of the air shaft.

mtbr member
    Yes sir, 100mm Reba 29er. I think 120mm would be even better, but I got a killer deal on this one. Those are 27.5 Velocity Dually's.
    Do you have to run the sliders all the way back to get that wheel/tire combo to fit? If so, what is your resulting chainstay length?

As to Salsa fork pricing...here's a crazy idea...pick up a phone and CALL a salsa dealer to check the actual pricing/availability.

mtbr member
    Sliders only half way back. Got more room for height but about maxed out in width.

J:
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Anything else?

Any help appreciated.

Anyone found anything? Trying to find a 27.5" rear @ 2.5" - 2.7" w/ volume

Right now I'm wondering if the DHR2 has more volume than 2.4" Ardent (Maxxiss went back to their undersizing ways w/ that Ardent).
    video=youtube;][/video]...

Hans Dampf 2.4? Geax Goma 2.4?

On a wide rim the DHF 2.5 may actually be wider than 2.5", see here: Maxxis Minion dhf 29 x 2.5 or Hans Damph for 'XC' Singletrack Forum

J:
    Hans Dampf 2.35" and the Magic Mary 2.35" seems to be the largest volume I have tried so far. Does the Trail King 2.4" or other Continental's have more volume?

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if the sidewalls would be thick enough but have a look at the Mavic Quest 2.4 27.5 tire - pretty high volume IMHO.

mtbr member
    Short Travel (60mm) fork option out of Iceland.

27.5+ Tires-lauf-fat-bike-fork-leaf-spring-suspension.jpg

Prototype photo posted today on their Instagram and Bike Rumor did a brief write up.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Bike is the New Black

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    From the WTB site in reference to Trailblazer availability "WTB is expecting additional inventory in mid-April 2015".
    2017 SPOT Brand MAYHEM (incoming) 2016 Spot rollik557, 2016 SPOT Brand Zephyr Adventure Bike 55c, Heller 27.7+

Rocks belong

This is side shot.

Views:	2961 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	958051
    Welp, you inspired me... I just bought a used, large Devinci Atlas frameset. Gonna build it up and take it for a couple rides. I bought the frame to build up with some extra parts that I have laying around, should be cool to try out as a B+. Don't think I'd end up keeping it, but might be fun to try.

I've got a Fox 34 RLC 29 fork on my Mason that I'll be putting on the Devinci. Probably will run it around 130mm unless you think 140mm is where it's at? Looks like the numbers work out well for the Devinci RX (140 Revelation):

BB Height: 342mm (13.6"), presumably 327mm (12.9") at sag
    Chainstay Length: 430mm (16.93")
    68.5* HTA

So with B+, my BB height will be down around 13.3" and 12.75 at sag.
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 02-05-2015 at 04:24 PM.

western NC
    Gotcha, thanks for the info.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Beard of Power View Post
    Short Travel (60mm) fork option out of Iceland.

Name:	lauf-fat-bike-fork-with-leaf-spring-suspension.jpg 
Views:	785 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	961886

Prototype photo posted today on their Instagram and Bike Rumor did a brief write up.
    Undamped rebound with big soft tires... would ride, interesting?

Before anyone gets an idea to use a standard lauf fork, they give the maximum tire width as 2.35.

mtbr member
    27.5+ Tires-image.jpg
    Do you have to run the sliders all the way back to get that wheel/tire combo to fit? If so, what is your resulting chainstay length?
    Here you can see how much room is left in the sliders. Have yet to measure the chainstay length.

mtbr member
    thanks sir!! Sweet bike!

J:
    I'm not sure if the sidewalls would be thick enough but have a look at the Mavic Quest 2.4 27.5 tire - pretty high volume IMHO.
    Thanks MMcG. Arts lists those 2.4" Quest casings measured as 2.25", but I'll still look into those for sure.. hard to tell only going from a pic.

Maxxiss needs a 2.7" and a 3.0" Ardent, with the tread used on the 559 tire

Another fork that'll work, Maverick models... typically go for around $200 US on ebay.

Rocks belong
    27.5+ Tires-image.jpg

My Scraper finally made it!

A brand new, lightly mounted (~18 psi) 2.4 Vee Trail Taker measures 2.55" at the knobs and 2.45" at the casing. The rim squares off this tread nicely. I expect that it'll grow a little bit in width.

Obviously not ideal, but I'll work until a proper 3.0" B+ tire comes out.
    27.5+ Tires-image.jpg

Here it is compared to a brand new DHF 2.3 on a WTB KOM i25

27.5+ Tires-image.jpg

Rocks belong
    Svelte? Lol

27.5+ Tires-image.jpg

Claimed weight is 650g. I have never had a single WTB rim come in close to their claimed weight. Maybe their scales are broken?

This rim weighs as much as my old 27mm (22mm internal) hookless carbon 29er wheel!

mtbr member

Views:	294 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	962959

My Scraper finally made it!

A brand new, lightly mounted (~18 psi) 2.4 Vee Trail Taker measures 2.55" at the knobs and 2.45" at the casing. The rim squares off this tread nicely. I expect that it'll grow a little bit in width.

Obviously not ideal, but I'll work until a proper 3.0" B+ tire comes out.

Views:	421 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	962952

Here it is compared to a brand new DHF 2.3 on a WTB KOM i25

Views:	215 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	962969
    that will be your rear wheel for the Mason?

What about the 3.25 Vee Tire?

Rocks belong
    Front, winter use. Already have a WTB 2.8 on a Blunt35 on the back.

I have two front wheels for the Mason. 29er (Spank Oozy 295) and now the Scraper.

No way a VTF on a Scraper will fit in my Fox 34 29 fork.

mtbr member
    what about Trailblazer and Scraper? Or is there not much width diff?

Rocks belong
    what about Trailblazer and Scraper? Or is there not much width diff?
    Lol. Ok. Let's try this again.

I only have one WTB 2.8 and had to fight to get that one. (You should remember this ) Replacement WTB 2.8's are not available for months, but I still wouldn't want a WTB 2.8 on the front. The WTB 2.8 is a great rear tire, but leaves something to be desired for front cornering. So I'm waiting for a proper 650b 3.0" tire with more aggressive cornering knobs to come out. I wish the VTF was a 3.0" instead of a 3.25", it would be perfect.

My WTB 2.8 is on the rear of my Mason on a Blunt 35. I could maybe fit the WTB 2.8 on a Dually, but probably not a WTB 2.8 + Scraper. My frame is pretty tight with an aggressive 2.4" 29er tire.

Also my Blunt35 only weighs 542g, vs 622g for a Dually and 687g for a Scraper. So for a dedicated rear rim, I'm happy with the Blunt35.

My WTB Scraper i45 rim will be run on the front of the Mason. My Fox 34 can fit a tire larger (wider knobs) than the WTB 2.8... so when a properly aggressive 3.0" B+ tire comes out, I'll put it on the front. In the meantime, I bought an Intense branded Vee Trail Taker 2.5 b/c it was cheap ($15 from PricePoint) and it's one of the largest 650b tires out there. (And it's tread pattern takes really well to the super wide Scraper i45).

So, in summary:

Front
    Summer use: 29er
    Winter use (and general Tomfoolery): Scraper i45 and VTT 2.5" tire (eventually aggressive B+ 3.0" tire)

Rear
    WTB Trailblazer 2.8 on a Blunt 35

I'll just swap front wheels depending on what trail I'm riding and what kind of mood I'm in. May seem odd to have have 2 front wheels for a bike, but I have $163 wrapped up in my Scraper front wheel, so not too too bad.

As I told my wife... A 2nd front wheel is a helluva lot cheaper than a Fat Bike!

To be honest though, Denver doesn't hold enough snow to justify a full on fat bike. I owned one last year and it didn't get ridden much. You have to drive 45-60 min west to get to trails that hold snow all winter long. If I'm driving an hour west, I might as well bring my skis and go kill myself on trees and moguls at Winter Park!

And most of the commonly available fat bikes still have somewhat XC geometry. I'll hold out for a 197x12 rear end with a long reach and slack HTA.

Anyone have real weights compared the Velocity Dually to the WTB Scraper? Is there any reason to choose the more expensive Scaper over the cheaper Dually?

EDIT DERP Question answered above.

Rocks belong
    Literally the post right before yours

Also my Blunt35 only weighs 542g, vs 622g for a Dually and 687g for a Scraper.

Rocks belong
    Is there any reason to choose the more expensive Scaper over the cheaper Dually?
    But to answer your second question, I went with the WTB Scraper for several reasons.

1) Better tubeless design. The WTB uses their proven TCS bead shelf and rim design. The Dually can be set up tubeless, but it's not a true tubeless ready design. You have to sometimes get creative with Gorilla Tape. I didn't want to be dependent on Gorilla Tape to hold the bead to my rim.

2) If I'm going wide, might as well go the widest! And I got a good deal on my Scraper. It was only an extra $31.50 to go with the Scraper.

mtbr member

And most of the commonly available fat bikes still have somewhat XC geometry. I'll hold out for a 197x12 rear end with a long reach and slack HTA.
    On-One Fatty Trail soon to be released - they leaked a sneak peek on Facebook today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Glad you post this one, I almost pulled the trigger for a parkwood and risk for the compatibility for a 27.5 trax fatty (well, which seems not possible to fit....)

On-One Fatty Trail soon to be released - they leaked a sneak peek on Facebook today.

mtbr member
    TRAX FATTY on WTB Scraper, tubeless is amazing ! TCS works great !

27.5+ Tires-16463872895_bcd99cd0c8_b.jpg

... and fit on a PIKE fork !

27.5+ Tires-16440565376_a75f530ebe_b.jpg

Little space on the side but will see if there is rubbing during use.
    For try is enough.

mtbr member
    But to answer your second question, I went with the WTB Scraper for several reasons.

1) Better tubeless design. The WTB uses their proven TCS bead shelf and rim design. The Dually can be set up tubeless, but it's not a true tubeless ready design. You have to sometimes get creative with Gorilla Tape. I didn't want to be dependent on Gorilla Tape to hold the bead to my rim.

2) If I'm going wide, might as well go the widest! And I got a good deal on my Scraper. It was only an extra $31.50 to go with the Scraper.
    I agree. TCS works very well !
    But my friends on 29+ had problems sealing with Dually rims.

beer thief
    which makes you slow like tom brady
    hehehe, who gets the last laugh here? fast enough

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast