Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,300 of 2367

Thread: 27.5+ Tires

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Stay away from the tire on the left lol. Heavy, narrow and just a bad design.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cameden View Post
    Attachment 1176462

how would y'all feel about this combo
    Trailblazer on the left ranger in the right, both 2.8...gotta sneak them into a ROS 9 frame on 275 wheels...any other options from WTB I get a smoking deal on them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by xblitzkriegx View Post
    the DW measures more like 2.75-2.8. its a very sturdy but heavy tire.

the terrene chunk is the same price as any of maxxis's 2.8-3.0 offerings and weighs 50g less in 120tpi and is the same in 60tpi.

if you ride somewhere it's predominately rocky/rooty/moist/slick, the chunk will work perfectly. its a slower rolling tire as evident from the tread pattern, but itll grip like no ones business. i run the 650x3.0 chunk front and rear. i would only trade them for HR2s, maybe not even then.
    Thanks for the review, I'm pretty sure this is my next tire. I was wrestling with getting the DHF/DHR but I really don't want to step down to 2.8. Still kinda thinking about the Purg's for a bit less money, but it looks to me like the Terrene Chunk Tough has the most aggressive tread in a 3.0 tire. Maybe the HR II's are similar. But let's face it, anything is going to be more aggressive the the Chronicles I've got on now.
    Last edited by TheBaldBlur; 01-17-2018 at 02:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    Thanks for the review, I'm pretty sure this is my next tire. I was wrestling with getting the DHF/DHR but I really don't want to step down to 2.8. Still kinda thinking about the Purg's for a bit less money,
    You should go for the Purgatory Grids. I really love it as a front with the Ground Control rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    To those who have gone from a 3.0 to a 2.8 - was the change in bottom bracket height noticeable? What did you like and not like about it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I went from 3.0 NN to 2.8 DHF - DHR2 combo and I like the better traction but miss some of the floating feeling of the bigger tires. As for the BB I didn't notice any difference when riding.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBforlife View Post
    I love the 3.0 Rocket Ron on the rear. I have been running a 3.0 Trail star Nobbie Nic up front with great success. With plus tires being so sensitive to pressure it may come down to adjusting pressure by a half-a-pound to dial it in.

Cheers
    NN front and rear on the bike as new; 27.5 x 3.0 - doing fine for now.
    Liked the look of RR and seen them on sale, got one thinking it would be good for the rear when time for new meat on the back.

See a lot of posts running this lately, .
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm going to be building up a second wheelset for my plus bike, and would like to get some different tires for it. I want to stick with 27.5x3.0. Currently running NN front and rear.

I think the HRII would be a good option for a front tire, but I'm not seeing a Maxxis 3.0 tire that would be good for the rear. The only other one I see really is the Chronicle--has anyone run that as a rear tire? Initial thoughts are it wouldn't offer enough grip, but if anyone has run it would like to hear about it.

Other option is Specialized Purgatory GRID front, Ground Control GRID rear. Specialized specs this on their Fuse's and it looks like it would be a good combo.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The Chronicle is a tire for fun, for dry and flat conditions with a bigger part of pavement...
    I use the Purg / Ground combination on my 29er and i'm very happy with that. Thats why i put the Purgs on front and rear on my plusbike. So i can recommend the named Specialized tires.
    NN and GC are about the same grip-wise. The GC has a lower rolling resistance and the sides are more stable and robust.
    You can try two HRII or Purg / Ground. The Purgy should have more Grip than the HRII.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Chronicles are what came stock on my bike in 27.5x3.0. In loose over hardpack they slide way too easily and have almost no braking grip. Rolling resistance is good, but I can't recommend it for a rear (or front) tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    That is what I was thinking with the Chronicle.

HRII front and rear is a viable option? I don't think it would roll well as a rear tire, looking at the tread pattern. That's what lead me to look at the Specialized tires--the GC looks like it would be a perfect rear tire.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    you would be trading a bit of speed over traction. whats more important to you? the hr2 wont be that bad, it has ramped center knobs at least. if you wanted a faster rear tire from maxxis, either use a rekon or an ikon depending on your needs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    you would be trading a bit of speed over traction. whats more important to you? the hr2 wont be that bad, it has ramped center knobs at least. if you wanted a faster rear tire from maxxis, either use a rekon or an ikon depending on your needs.
    Yeah, I wanna stick with 3.0 though. If Rekon was in 3.0 I'd probably go for an HRII/Rekon setup. Might go that way anyways with a 2.8 Rekon, but I like the bit of float that the 3.0 tire provides in the rear, especially on a hardtail.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    To those who have gone from a 3.0 to a 2.8 - was the change in bottom bracket height noticeable? What did you like and not like about it?
    I went from a 3.0 Vee Crown Gem to 2.8 DHF/DHR and the bottom bracket drop was noticeable. I was pedal striking on things that I never even thought I could. I took them off after less than 200 miles, going to 3.0 HR2s, and the pedal strikes stopped.

That said, the DHF and DHR are damn good tires, but my bike was definitely designed for a 3.0 tire, so trying to make a 2.8 work was probably not my smartest move.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by j3ffro View Post
    That said, the DHF and DHR are damn good tires, but my bike was definitely designed for a 3.0 tire, so trying to make a 2.8 work was probably not my smartest move.
    If Maxxis would make the DHF / DHR in 3.0 that's probably all I'd ever run.

mtbr member
    Ive ran to many tires to mention, but was also forced to stick to 3.0s because of BB height and rim protection. I ran NNs for awhile which I love for the volume, but was blown away on how much better the HR2 was up front. I noticed a huge gain in traction the first corner I encountered. It is a great upgrade! I bought two expecting to replace the rear NN, but I think they compliment each other. That being said I have a brand new HR2 3C if anyone is looking for one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    ...but was blown away on how much better the HR2 was up front. I noticed a huge gain in traction the first corner I encountered. It is a great upgrade!
    Running HR2 on the front, and Purg on the back, same impression. I really like the HR2 up front for our PNW area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    How does the HR2 compare to DHF or DHR2 for rolling resistance?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I have a 2017 Cannondale Cujo 1 which came with some stock Comp. WTB Ranger Tires which can't be mounted tubeless. I purchased a set of Maxxis Minion DHF/DHRII tire combo for the Cujo in size 27.5X2.8. I am going to set them up tubeless and was wondering how much "Stan's" fluid do I add for a tire of this size - 3oz., 4oz. or more would you recommend. Any other tips/tricks/recommendations to help me with this setup would be appreciated. Just waiting on the fluid,tape,etc. from Stan's to be delivered on Friday and hopefully do the work over the weekend. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by stangmanrider View Post
    I have a 2017 Cannondale Cujo 1 which came with some stock Comp. WTB Ranger Tires which can't be mounted tubeless. I purchased a set of Maxxis Minion DHF/DHRII tire combo for the Cujo in size 27.5X2.8. I am going to set them up tubeless and was wondering how much "Stan's" fluid do I add for a tire of this size - 3oz., 4oz. or more would you recommend. Any other tips/tricks/recommendations to help me with this setup would be appreciated. Just waiting on the fluid,tape,etc. from Stan's to be delivered on Friday and hopefully do the work over the weekend. Thanks!
    I used about 4 oz mounting same tires on nobl tr45 rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I use two oz. No need to put that much sealant in. The only time I had two oz of sealant fail me is when I put a half inch hole in the tread and hole in the bead at the same time.

If it matters, I use orange seal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I use two oz. No need to put that much sealant in. The only time I had two oz of sealant fail me is when I put a half inch hole in the tread and hole in the bead at the same time.

If it matters, I use orange seal.
    Two ounces will do it and you'll have less rotating mass to push uphill, but I find that putting in 3-4oz means I don't have to refill my sealant as often.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    good point. i popped the bead on my front tire and checked the build up after 9 months. it was minimal so i put it back on and added a tiny amount. the rear tire destroyed itself so i had to clean/inspect/replace it. that was in sep/oct.

dunno if it matters or not but i used kapton tape to seal the rim. zero orange seal was built up on the kapton tape. none, zilch. i didnt expect that.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Surly Dirt Wizard 27.5x3.0. Just bought a new Karate Monkey Plus bike and they were on it. Very stout tire but I was struggling on my first 3 rides before I pulled off a wheel and held the rim/tire combo in my hands. Holy CHIT was that a heavy-assed combo. Granted, they had plus tubes in them and those things are incredibly heavy but that Wizard is a chunk of tire. I have 3 or 4 sets of Nobby Nics in my inventory so I put those on and set them up tubeless, of course. Ahhhh....much better! Anyhow, I just skimmed and searched a bit through this thread. So much backlog of info but didn't notice much on the Dirt Wizard. They remind a lot of Minions but I haven't had my hands on Plus Minions yet. Are the Dirt Wizards a decent tire with a long service life? I'd consider them for riding some of the gnarliest trails we have in our area but my regular riding haunts, though chunky and technical, don't require quite so much heft like these DW's have. Impressions from anyone that's run them through their paces for a while?

mtbr member
    Run the 60tpi 29x3 on the front of my Jones paired with a 29x2.4 Goma in back on NE roots and rocks. Love the Dirt Wizard here - not as bouncy as most 29x3s and handles everything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Well I took the time today, rainy Sunday, to change my tires and set them up as tubeless. The job went pretty much as planned but the hardest part was wrestling on the Maxxis tires on the rims. That last foot or so was really hard and just took some patience and I had to let them sit and stretch some. Even after putting the tires on the rims yesterday and letting them sit overnight, they still were a bear to put on. Setting the bead for me was easy as I have a compressor with a large tank that I use to blow out my sprinkler lines in the yard. Bead Popped real easy!

Hopefully I don't have to remove them on the trails for any reason because I don't know how I would get them back on. Hopefully by bringing some 2oz. Bottles of Stan's sealant and having the DynaPlug with me I won't have to worry about flats anymore. I ended up using around 3 - 3.5 oz. of fluid in each tire. Thanks for all the help and advice. I have them sitting horizontal now with 35lbs. of air in them. Will air them down to 18psi/20psi front/back to start with tomorrow morning when I put them back on the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Maxxis tyres aren't normally an overly tight fit, even on Stans rims. You probably just need to work a bit more on pushing the bead into the centre channel, and do the part near the valve last.

Keep on Rockin...
    Maxxis Rekon 2.8 on an i30 rim

Ok ???

A real 2.8 probably not, but I know Maxxis runs small.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    went to a 2.8" in the rear with a 3" up front. dropped ~2-3mm. chunk is 28.75 and the mcfly is about 28.5. .25" = ~6mm. half that for radius, so 3mm. only dropped size in the rear so overall effect is slight. i measured 2mm drop (from memory). ie, not enough to notice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Surly Dirt Wizard 27.5x3.0. Just bought a new Karate Monkey Plus bike and they were on it. Very stout tire but I was struggling on my first 3 rides before I pulled off a wheel and held the rim/tire combo in my hands. Holy CHIT was that a heavy-assed combo. Granted, they had plus tubes in them and those things are incredibly heavy but that Wizard is a chunk of tire. I have 3 or 4 sets of Nobby Nics in my inventory so I put those on and set them up tubeless, of course. Ahhhh....much better! Anyhow, I just skimmed and searched a bit through this thread. So much backlog of info but didn't notice much on the Dirt Wizard. They remind a lot of Minions but I haven't had my hands on Plus Minions yet. Are the Dirt Wizards a decent tire with a long service life? I'd consider them for riding some of the gnarliest trails we have in our area but my regular riding haunts, though chunky and technical, don't require quite so much heft like these DW's have. Impressions from anyone that's run them through their paces for a while?
    no direct info. have read many peoples experience with them. the consensus i gather is that they run slightly narrow, are extremely heavy, have excellent traction in all areas, high rolling resistance, and generally only useful for extremely rough trails. great front tire.

imo the hr2 or chunk is a better choice but a DW mainly due to weight as neither sacrifice durability to the DW.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    Maxxis tyres aren't normally an overly tight fit, even on Stans rims. You probably just need to work a bit more on pushing the bead into the centre channel, and do the part near the valve last.
    The rims I have are the stock ones that came on the Cannondale Cujo ! - WTB STX i35TCS. The bead was in the center channel and I did the section near the valve last. They were just really tight on these rims - the DHF was tighter than the DHRII. Hopefully now that they are on, it will stretch some to make it easier for maintenance.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review esp in muddy conditions. I run this comb (but in 2.35 and 2.25) on my hard tail and they grip is amazing, snow and deep mud and super steep techy muddy and snowy drops, and super fast rolling too. On my full sus I currently have High roller 2.8s great tyre but the grad is killing me so thinking of this combo in ether 2.8 or most likely 2.6. Mmm which size will be best, need to think. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Sorry a quick question if you know. Would you choose the speed grip over the soft for all day use?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teknorob View Post
    Quick update on Nobby Nic (trailstar) & Magic Mary (addix speedgrip) 2.8. I've ridden my evil following MB about 250 miles with this combo, mixture of muddy, wet and dry root infested trails in the last 4 weeks and i cant say enough good things about these tyres. Ive been running the NN for over a year, front and back, so this wasnt too much of revelation, but the MM 2.8 speedgrip has been awesome on the front. Sure the grip is amazing, but its the rolling speed and the damping which have convinced most. I know its very much personal choice, but i have tried Reckon and HR 2.8s, which i liked but didnt think much of their feel compared to Schwalbe, yet until the MM 2.8 came along they were missing a tyre that could cope with bike park visits and the more gnarly trail stuff so id stuck with the HR 2.8 for these occasions. However i 100% will be sticking with MM up front for these bigger occasions because for my riding style/ ability it offers far more all round performance than the HR 2.8. I know this comments going to start a few fires and as i say this is just a personal preference based on where/ what i ride and how i ride it
    Thank you. This is amazing to read. I have HR2 2.8, great but super draggy. Have ordered Rekons hoping this will help but looks like it won't. My hard tail has MM and NN and it's blindingly fast and the grip is amazing. Will try this combo on the full sus when I get some more money after spending so much on the Maxxis

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    If you don't care about weight you cannot beat the WTB Bridger, that thing will handle everything. I'm even riding it as a winter tire in Minnesota right now and it is demolishing it. It's fast rolling on pavement and has great grip even on technical rooty climbs.

For racing and summer riding I love the Rocket Ron 3.0's though... I race longer races 50 mile+ though so I might not be taking as much risk as some people on the more technical downhill parts. But they're light and fast rolling and I only have a few spots where I lose traction up hill, like wet logs where I can't get up and over it and keep my ass in the saddle. But, butt in saddle with these you never lose traction in my experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeluvdirt View Post
    If you don't care about weight you cannot beat the WTB Bridger, that thing will handle everything. I'm even riding it as a winter tire in Minnesota right now and it is demolishing it. It's fast rolling on pavement and has great grip even on technical rooty climbs.
    Well, to beat weight partially there is WTB Ranger. It's lighter, has even better rolling knobs and is my favorite winter tire here where trail grooves riding is big fun when over knee height deep!

The rubber in my Ranger TCS Fast Light Rolling variety, both front & rear. Just installed 2nd pair as rear knobs were almost gone, to regain little more grip for climbs & slippery fresh powder snow...
    Cheers,
    -Mika

mtbr member
    Anybody have a solid measurement for a ranger 3.0 on a 40mm internal???

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I've heard before that the Ranger3.0 and the NN 3.0 are the two largest 3" tires on the market. I'd like to further clarification of that.

Of course, there is always the Duro Crux and Miner 3.25.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Ranger is 3.06 (measured 3.01 brand new at the knobs) on a 45mm rim so will be 2.9-3.0 on a 40mm.

Rangers, trail boss, and schwalbe tires I know for sure measure right on true to size on 40-45mm rims.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Duro miners 27x3, 75mm knob to knob on i36 rims. About 850 grams. Lots of volume and great traction. I run 12f/14r and weigh 180 rtr. Seem pretty durable too.
    https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/duro-30...e-black/48730/

mtbr member
    Thanks yall.

Got rocks?
    Anybody have experience with slaughter 2.8? I just put one on today and it measured 66mm on 34i wheels. Anybody run them?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlewski View Post
    The NN 3 FRONT with RR 3 REAR was a great set up for me! Fast and plush with great efficiency over sandy and cuncky terrain. I did suffer a bit on really steep technical climbs spinning out the RR, breaks loose rather abruptly too. I did hear the 2.8 RR has slightly bigger knobs. Id do that if I did it again but, being an obsessive climber and snow rider I need the NN on both ends.
    This was my set up for most of last year, but with the 2.8 RR on the rear. Really great for just about everything, and they have been amazing in the snow. It's not a fast set up, but if you get the pressures right they are unstoppable in technical sections.

This season I'm headed back to a slightly faster tire, 2.8 Ikons front and rear. Ridden them twice so far this year and they were awesome on hard pack and rocks but they are close to useless in mud, so I put the stock wheels (Fuel EX8) back on with my "winter" NN/RR tires and I'm waiting for things to dry out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'm on a pedal strike machine (EX8) and I still like the 2.8 rear better overall. Quicker acceleration. Also, I think no matter what 27.5 tire I use, technique will prevent more strikes than an extra 5mm BB hight...just my opinion. Also, might be my imagination, but the 2.8 RR has suffered almost no sidewall abuse on the rear whereas the 3.0 NN that was back there was all scraped up with weeping everywhere. I think the slightly narrower tire back there slips between the rocks better while I can steer the 3.0 front to go over the rock instead of grazing the sidewall, if this makes any sense

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInPA View Post
    I'm on a pedal strike machine (EX8) and I still like the 2.8 rear better overall. Quicker acceleration. Also, I think no matter what 27.5 tire I use, technique will prevent more strikes than an extra 5mm BB hight...just my opinion. Also, might be my imagination, but the 2.8 RR has suffered almost no sidewall abuse on the rear whereas the 3.0 NN that was back there was all scraped up with weeping everywhere. I think the slightly narrower tire back there slips between the rocks better while I can steer the 3.0 front to go over the rock instead of grazing the sidewall, if this makes any sense
    I'm on the same bike. 2.8 Rekons and switched to 165mm cranks. Looking forward to this upcoming riding season.

mtbr member
    Do you think the shorter cranks helped, made a big difference? Personally I was surprised how may more peddle strikes I was having with a 2.8 rear Recon vs the 3 NN and was considering trying the shorter cranks too. On my Pony Rustler I can also fit 29 wheels and the 29x2.6 NNs are awesome clearance wise but . . . Sometimes Id still rather be on real plus tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlewski View Post
    Do you think the shorter cranks helped, made a big difference? Personally I was surprised how may more peddle strikes I was having with a 2.8 rear Recon vs the 3 NN and was considering trying the shorter cranks too. On my Pony Rustler I can also fit 29 wheels and the 29x2.6 NNs are awesome clearance wise but . . . Sometimes Id still rather be on real plus tires.
    I haven't installed them yet but will shortly for the upcoming riding season. Going from 175mm to 165mm. It should definitely make a difference. I'll take any improvement. Plus, I'm 5'4" and the more I research I did the more I saw the reason to change.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    I'm on the same bike. 2.8 Rekons and switched to 165mm cranks. Looking forward to this upcoming riding season.
    What cranks did you get? Sram gpx BB or Shimano?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    what cranks did you get? Sram gpx bb or shimano?
    sram crank gx eagle boost gxp 165 black 12 speed w 32t x-sync 2 direct mount chainring, bb not included.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ahhh, Eagle wasn't out yet when I was looking for a 165. Ended up with a 170 GX, no 165 aftermarket.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Time for some new tires for me. I'm currently running 27.5x3 Purgatory Controls front & rear. I really like the tire on the front and the way it allows for a fairly mindless tip-and-rail turning experience, so I'm pretty sure that I'll go with the Purgatory Grid on the front. However, I think I want something different for the rear. I was not thrilled with the Ground Control. I thought the rubber compound a bit too hard on the shoulders, as it gave-up traction on some damp sidehill rock lines. Ideally, I'd get something softer than the Purg in the back, too, to get some additional straight-up-the-hill traction on steep rock hits. Lower-profile center knobs would be appreciated, too, but it seems like those go hand-in-hand with hard rubber, so I'll sacrifice a little and accept additional rolling resistance. Still, I'd rather not run something super heavy, if it can be helped. I'll gladly take suggestions for either a 2.8 or 3.0.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by phride View Post
    Time for some new tires for me. I'm currently running 27.5x3 Purgatory Controls front & rear. I really like the tire on the front and the way it allows for a fairly mindless tip-and-rail turning experience, so I'm pretty sure that I'll go with the Purgatory Grid on the front. However, I think I want something different for the rear. I was not thrilled with the Ground Control. I thought the rubber compound a bit too hard on the shoulders, as it gave-up traction on some damp sidehill rock lines. Ideally, I'd get something softer than the Purg in the back, too, to get some additional straight-up-the-hill traction on steep rock hits. Lower-profile center knobs would be appreciated, too, but it seems like those go hand-in-hand with hard rubber, so I'll sacrifice a little and accept additional rolling resistance. Still, I'd rather not run something super heavy, if it can be helped. I'll gladly take suggestions for either a 2.8 or 3.0.
    Take a look at the Kenda Havok Pro. I ran that one past year and really liked it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    Anybody have experience with slaughter 2.8? I just put one on today and it measured 66mm on 34i wheels. Anybody run them?
    I've ridden the 2.8 slaughter out back with a 3.0 purgatory up front. Wasn't very impressed on any particular terrain. Ended up with a 3.0 Purg/Purg combo and never looked back. I'm running 38mm wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Same as above, The bike came like that. I actually like the slaughter. Something to note though, if aired down too low you get some squirm. I run the rear at 19PSI (235lbs with gear) and it is about perfect 16PSI squirms when suspension is compressed. Bunch of riding buddies are very surprised the grip I can manage climbing with the tread design, it just works.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    After being mired in the paralysis of analysis I finally picked some new tires for this spring. I knew I wanted 3.0 width and I'd had great luck with Maxxis in the past, but the only thing Maxxis offered me is the HRII, no slouch but I had the itch to try something new. I'd also had good luck Specialized tires on a previous bike and thought hard about the Purg's. Ultimately I bought the Terrene Chunk (Light) for the front and the Vee Crown Gem Synthesis for the rear.

Both tires mounted easily enough and both required a tube to get the beads to set. Using the tube wasn't a huge deal, but it was the first time I'd had to do that when setting up a tubeless tire. To be fair, my other tubeless tires had all seen limited use with a tube before being converted to tubeless, so that may have something to do with it.

The Chunk has an advertised weight of 940 gr and mine weighs 1024.

The Crown Gem has an advertised weight of 960 gr and mine weighs 1037.

~8% variance in weight seems like a lot as a percentage. By comparison I weighed the well worn Chronicles that I took off and one weighed right at, and the other slightly under Maxxis claimed weight .

The Chunk at full pressure measures 3.03" wide at the outer knobs.

The Crown Gem at full pressure measures 2.85" wide at the outer knobs.

These are on Devinci rims measuring 35mm inner width.

Both tires are taking a longer to seal up and stay sealed than anything I've run tubeless before. In fact, I'm still bleeding sealant from both tires enough that I'm not going to review how they ride until I feel confident airing them down. The Crown Gem has one nagging leak at the bead. I broke that bead, soaped it and reset it but it's still bleeding a little. The Chunk had 4 or 5 pinhole leaks in the sidewalls like someone had poked it with a straight pin (not saying they did, just that they were clean round holes, not jagged tears). You could hear and feel the air coming out there without any need of soapy water for a telltale. One sidewall hole is about 1/2 inch from the bead and that one worries me a bit as to how it will behave once aired down and flexing, but we'll see. I checked with some others who've run the Chunk and my experience seems to be unique so I'm not ready to condemn them. If need be, I'll have Terrene replace the tire and if that one behaves the same then, well....

Again, I'll report on how they ride once the sealant has cured enough that I feel comfortable airing them down to mid teens. For now, at high pressure, they're certainly knobbier than my Chronicles were but that was the idea.
    Last edited by TheBaldBlur; 03-19-2018 at 07:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    [QUOTE=TheBaldBlur;13585153]After being mired in the paralysis of analysis I finally picked some new tires for this spring. I knew I wanted 3.0 width and I'd had great luck with Maxxis in the past, but the only thing Maxxis offered me is the HRII, no slouch but I had the itch to try something new. I'd also had good luck Specialized tires on a previous bike and thought hard about the Purg's. Ultimately I bought the Terrene Chunk (Light) for the front and the Vee Crown Gem Synthesis for the rear.

I tried the Vee Crown Gem in 2.6 last year and really liked it. That somewhat hard sidewall seemed perfect for deflecting sharp rocks. However, after only a couple hard rides one of the knobs started to tear clean off. I could see the thread underneath. I ended up replacing it before a 25 mile epic. It may have been a one off so hopefully it'll work good for you, if so I'd consider buying that tire again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    Duro miners 27x3, 75mm knob to knob on i36 rims. About 850 grams. Lots of volume and great traction. I run 12f/14r and weigh 180 rtr. Seem pretty durable too.
    https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/duro-30...e-black/48730/
    mine are 77mm on 40mmid rim

tire to rim ratio tester
    These also have 26+ and 29+ in them but at least 1/2 are 27.5+:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...untain-bikers/
    Coffee, Ted?
    Ted's from a dysfunctional family.
    Oh...so no coffee...
    ---Samuel L. Jackson, Loaded Weapon I

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Ultimately I bought the Terrene Chunk (Light) for the front and the Vee Crown Gem Synthesis for the rear.
    Follow up to my own post with riding impressions. Once they both sealed up, they've held air very, very well. So I aired them down and took them for a few spins on several of my usual trails. The first hundred yards or so I noticed a definite increase in the rolling resistance, but after that I forgot all about it. Cornering bite and stopping grip is monumentally better than what I had. I can actually lean the bike over in corners now, couldn't do that before without outriggers. Braking power is like someone tossed out an anchor - it come s to a halt right. damn. now.

To be fair, I'm coming off Maxxis Chronicles, so ANY knobby tire would be an improvement! So in a way it may not be fair to rave about these tires in particular.

The first ride out, I easily cleared some obstacles on climbs that I'd struggled with before. "Hot starts" are a lot easier too since the back tire digs in and pushes instead of spinning in the scree like the Chroni's did. I'm still playing with tire pressure but so far it seems like I prefer these at a pound or two higher pressure than what I was running on the Maxxis. The Synthesis sidewalls on the Vee have slid off enough pointy rocks that I expect they'll hold up well. And the Light version (120tpi) of the Chunk is taking my Colorado terrain and riding style in stride. My riding partner is on NN 2.8's and he says he can feel loads more traction than his NN's. In fact he was all set to order a Chunk for his front but his Mojo won't take a 3.0 tire.

So 3 or 4 rides in and haven't been to Fruita or Moab yet, but so far they're great and I'd order them again! In fact, I'm kicking myself now that when I bought this bike last spring I should have cut the Chronicles off in favor of proper tires in the first place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    Rode 3 hours for the first time this season yesterday with the new cranks. HUGE DIFFERENCE! One pedal graze on trails that I would have multiple rock/root strikes. Definitely led to more confidence riding. Awesome upgrade for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Here is a banal question: Is plus tire viable on a 65mm rim?

Furthermore, which 27.5x3.00 tires currently available on the market have the biggest volume?

I'm contemplating putting a plus tire on my low fat Suzi Q for summer trail riding. In my case, this involves combining a 3-inch tire with 65mm Mulefut rims, which I know is a controversial move. Im aiming to mitigate the negatives of combining 3-inch tires with such wider rims, hence the search biggest volume

Images below (courtesy of Pinkbike) are just for an accurate illustration of how it all might look. It's not my bike. But I guess I should be looking for a bit more rounded profile...

Thanks for all input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5+ Tires-p5pb15354230.jpg  

27.5+ Tires-p5pb15354231.jpg  

27.5+ Tires-p5pb15480800.jpg  

Last edited by nimm_zwei; 04-03-2018 at 07:49 AM.

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

I wouldn't go wider than 40mm ID rims for a 2.8 wide tire and 45mmID's for a 3.0 wide.
    Loosing that nice rounded tire shape/profile would make transitions into lean angles very unpredictable in the traction and control arena.

And just as Important a more squared off tire profile would place more tread than was necessary on the ground when riding a straight line causing more rolling resistance than I would want to deal with.
    I need my watts to climb not push a tire..
    Would also likely expose more sidewall Inviting tire sidewall damage,

And now you have more rim weight for a slower accelerating bike,

ANnnnd now you have a rim that's more exposed to rock damage,

Need fatter than that ? It's Fat Bike Time :P
    I seek only the Flow,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nimm_zwei View Post
    Furthermore, which 27.5x3.00 tires currently available on the market have the biggest volume?
    Terrene Chunk
    Surly Dirt Wizard
    suspect some of the WTB tires may make that short list but can't be sure

Duro Crux/Miner

Bontrager Hodag and similar 3.8's will be the next step up, and fit more comfortably on 65mm rims.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Fair enough. To be clear, the Suzi Q is a fat bike, and the 65mm rims are what they are great for 3.8 Minions, which I use.

I was thinking a seasonal tire swap for the summer, using the very same rims. I ride non-aggressive XC on that bike, so the unpredictable traction in cornering I wouldn't mind (probably), but the added rolling resistance (as opposed to standard/narrower rims) is no good, as it would negate the whole purpose of going 27.5+ for the summer, instead of stock 27.5x3.8. Also, I suspect that going tubeless with that combo would not work out well. So yeah, it's fat bike time year round, apparently.

I'd get a second 29er wheelset, personally.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Strangely enough, only the carbon Suzi Q frame officially supports 29+. My alloy version doesn't. In any case, alternative wheelset is not something I'm willing to fund at this point, with the 177mm rear hub, XT 11-46T cassette, etc a costly option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    the Terrene Chunk measures about 3.125" at the knobs at 14psi on an i45mm rim and slightly wider on an i50 rim at the same psi. they measure 28.75" tall.

theye slow rolling but extremely aggressive. you will not have issues with climbing or braking. cornering is pretty good but climbing and braking are where they shine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just try the 3"!

mtbr member
    the Terrene Chunk measures about 3.125" at the knobs at 14psi on an i45mm rim and slightly wider on an i50 rim at the same psi. they measure 28.75" tall.

theye slow rolling but extremely aggressive. you will not have issues with climbing or braking. cornering is pretty good but climbing and braking are where they shine.
    Just replaced the Kenda Havok's on my Haro with a pair of Chunk 3.0's, and the climbing/braking grip is insane!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltdan12a View Post
    Just replaced the Kenda Havok's on my Haro with a pair of Chunk 3.0's, and the climbing/braking grip is insane!!!
    Yep, I'm loving mine (thanks xBlitzkriegx!) I've got people on the trail asking about them almost every ride and pulling out their phones to take pictures to remind themselves later. They seem to be the "best tire no one's ever heard of" but everyone who's ridden my bike with them mounted comes back with their eyes wide and out come their phone. Personally the 27.5 x 3.0 is perfect for me but I hope they release a 29 x 3.0

mtbr member
    I've put a few Mcfly's in 29x2.8 on customer bikes and the response so far has been really good

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yeah I've got a buddy who runs 29+ and was disappointed that he couldn't have a Chunk in 29+ but he's all in on getting a set of McFly's for his next tires

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    anyone running the new minion 27.5 x 2.8 on a mk3? what is your width? thank you

mtbr member
    After being mired in the paralysis of analysis I finally picked some new tires for this spring. I knew I wanted 3.0 width and I'd had great luck with Maxxis in the past, but the only thing Maxxis offered me is the HRII, no slouch but I had the itch to try something new. I'd also had good luck Specialized tires on a previous bike and thought hard about the Purg's. Ultimately I bought the Terrene Chunk (Light) for the front and the Vee Crown Gem Synthesis for the rear.

Both tires mounted easily enough and both required a tube to get the beads to set. Using the tube wasn't a huge deal, but it was the first time I'd had to do that when setting up a tubeless tire. To be fair, my other tubeless tires had all seen limited use with a tube before being converted to tubeless, so that may have something to do with it.

The Chunk has an advertised weight of 940 gr and mine weighs 1024.

The Crown Gem has an advertised weight of 960 gr and mine weighs 1037.

~8% variance in weight seems like a lot as a percentage. By comparison I weighed the well worn Chronicles that I took off and one weighed right at, and the other slightly under Maxxis claimed weight .

The Chunk at full pressure measures 3.03" wide at the outer knobs.

The Crown Gem at full pressure measures 2.85" wide at the outer knobs.

These are on Devinci rims measuring 35mm inner width.

Both tires are taking a longer to seal up and stay sealed than anything I've run tubeless before. In fact, I'm still bleeding sealant from both tires enough that I'm not going to review how they ride until I feel confident airing them down. The Crown Gem has one nagging leak at the bead. I broke that bead, soaped it and reset it but it's still bleeding a little. The Chunk had 4 or 5 pinhole leaks in the sidewalls like someone had poked it with a straight pin (not saying they did, just that they were clean round holes, not jagged tears). You could hear and feel the air coming out there without any need of soapy water for a telltale. One sidewall hole is about 1/2 inch from the bead and that one worries me a bit as to how it will behave once aired down and flexing, but we'll see. I checked with some others who've run the Chunk and my experience seems to be unique so I'm not ready to condemn them. If need be, I'll have Terrene replace the tire and if that one behaves the same then, well....

Again, I'll report on how they ride once the sealant has cured enough that I feel comfortable airing them down to mid teens. For now, at high pressure, they're certainly knobbier than my Chronicles were but that was the idea.
    Hey i was wondering what size the vee crown gem tires that you bought? I see it measured 2.85" inches. I'm currently looking at a Marin pine mountain and it comes with 27.5x2.8 crown gem tires.
    Thanks Anthony

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by echefanthony View Post
    Hey i was wondering what size the vee crown gem tires that you bought? I see it measured 2.85" inches. I'm currently looking at a Marin pine mountain and it comes with 27.5x2.8 crown gem tires.
    Thanks Anthony
    27.5 x 3.0

mtbr member
    I'm looking for some suggestions. What 27.5x2.8 tires are atleast 2.8" but not quite 3" when mounted? I'm looking for the tires that fall in between 2.8-3. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ritchey 2.8 Tire is your answer. Compared to the maxxis Rekon it is much wider and taller. It just barely fits in a boost 27.5 fork. Only issue I had was its a slow roller. I went back to the Rekon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Glad to see Terrene expand their offering already. The Chunk is now available in 2.6 widths for 27.5 and 29 wheels. Hopefully they'll offer 29x3.0 or 29x2.8 soon as well.

New Terrene Chunk 2.6 trail tire for trail and enduro use - Mtbr.com

vermonter
    I have a Maxxis recon and a Minion DHF (3C, Maxx Terra, EXO and TR) on 45 mm scraper rims. on my first ride i got down to 10psi before they felt good. i'm 250lbs bike and gear...i am wondering if i spent to long on 3.8's and need to air up a bit on these 2.8's...
    Brattleboro/Keene NEMBA officer and trail hero!

mtbr member
    Has anyone used the vittoria mezcal 27.5x2.6? They weigh 830 grams and come with something called vittoria Anthracite Sidewall which gives it a different color sidewall. They are very popular tires among people doing the tour divide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm looking for some suggestions. What 27.5x2.8 tires are atleast 2.8" but not quite 3" when mounted? I'm looking for the tires that fall in between 2.8-3. Thanks
    That sounds like almost all the "27.5X3" tires currently available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
    That sounds like almost all the "27.5X3" tires currently available.
    That's what I'm wondering. The ranger 2.8 looks nice, I just don't know if it'll last a long time. I'm really liking the vittoria mezcal 2.6. Even though it's smaller, that type of tread is really what I'm after. I currently have the Clement xplor mso on another bike and the mezcal is the closest I can find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Surprised noones running or talking about 2.6 magic Mary/2.6 rock razor combo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    IDK, just my opinion but I don't consider 2.6 plus tires...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    Surprised noones running or talking about 2.6 magic Mary/2.6 rock razor combo.
    I'm looking for more of an endurance tire, magic mary is aggressive. I'll check out the rock razor if it falls into that category.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is it just me or are these tyres a complete bitch to get off a rim when it's time change (due to puncture etc)? Holy shit, this 2.8 rocket Ron held on to the rim with demonic possession. Even resorting to cutting took so long. I'm hoping it's a one off, but my God there's no way I could do this out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    Is it just me or are these tyres a complete bitch to get off a rim when it's time change (due to puncture etc)? Holy shit, this 2.8 rocket Ron held on to the rim with demonic possession. Even resorting to cutting took so long. I'm hoping it's a one off, but my God there's no way I could do this out on the trails.
    I've had the same experience with certain Schwalbe tires. Some rim/tire fits are just tight. On the plus side - a tight fit makes sealing up tubeless very easy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    Some tires have stiffer sidewalls than others and are correspondingly more difficult to mount / dismount. Rim width can also play a factor. When I changed tires a few weeks ago, I was able to dismount my Maxxis Chronicles without tire tools. At remounting time the Chunk's went on by hand and the Crown Gem's needed only a little extra soapy water to slip over the rim. In contrast a good friend changed his Chupacabra's and had to cut them off because he couldn't get the bead to break loose. On both bikes and motorcycles I always try to get the old and new tires nice and warm before mounting because it helps soften the compound. I've changed tires in a cold garage in winter and it was NOT fun. Another factor, and the one that I think bit my friend in his experience above, is that sometimes sealant can get under the bead and literally glue the tire bead to the bead hook of the rim. That's not altogether a bad thing, but it can make trailside bead breaking more of an endeavor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    How do the specialized tires compare to the trax fatty regarding hard pack and asphalt
    Last edited by marrynguyen; 04-26-2018 at 12:53 AM.
    Norman people in the norman world. My blog: makeup lung linh

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just had the same experience 2 days ago.
    BTW still running schwalbe...but that rr 2.8 the worst tire it cut in the sidewall it cut thru the tread.
    Glad to be rid of it and never again.
    Any 2.8 that weighs like a 2.35 is doomed to failure.

mtbr member
    The specialized fast trak grid 2.8 interests me. Fast rolling with grid flat and sidewall protection. $60 a piece isn't bad either.

I loved my RR-Snakeskin 2.6. Im tempted to use it on the back once my Slaughter GRID wears out.

A Fast Trak GRID 2.8 would interest me as well. I need tough tires, but im ok with drifty tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Prices of these things are still stratospheric. I once thought Aus$70 was a lot for the 2.35s. But I'm seeing Aus$120-140 for the 27.5+. People pay that for car tyres!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I loved my RR-Snakeskin 2.6. Im tempted to use it on the back once my Slaughter GRID wears out.
    Weakest tyre I've ever owned. Loved it for how it rolled, gripped decently enough out back for certain duties, but I ended up gluing around 8 patches inside it until I decided to bin it. Punctures straight through the tread area were the worst, and a couple of times I didn't notice immediately and it got snake-bitten on a rock soon after due to dropping pressure. Another 150g or so into the casing and the RR would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Weakest tyre I've ever owned. Loved it for how it rolled, gripped decently enough out back for certain duties, but I ended up gluing around 8 patches inside it until I decided to bin it. Punctures straight through the tread area were the worst, and a couple of times I didn't notice immediately and it got snake-bitten on a rock soon after due to dropping pressure. Another 150g or so into the casing and the RR would be awesome.
    So the specialized grid tires don't offer good flat protection? It seems that every tire I look at is more designed around being light. I need a 2.8 tire with good flat and sidewall protection for long distances. I'm running clement xplor mso in 700x32 on my flat bar bike and they're great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    So the specialized grid tires don't offer good flat protection?
    My post was regarding the Rocket Ron. Sorry, I've should've made that clearer. I've never tried a Spec tyre with Grid casing.

mtbr member
    My post was regarding the Rocket Ron. Sorry, I've should've made that clearer. I've never tried a Spec tyre with Grid casing.
    Ok, I kind of got that from people talking about the rr. They seem good but too light to offer enough flat and sidewall protection. I have read plenty of comments about the specialized 2.8-3.0" tires in the grid and it seems that they are tough tires. I would really like the ground control but it only comes in a 3.0 tire and seems to be a full 3.0. The fast trak grid looks like it'll be good for a mix of conditions. I also like the looks of the Ranger tough but it seems to be wearing fairly quickly from what I've read.

Just to clarify, you guys who are having isses with the Rocket Ron, are you running the Performance or Liteskin models?

the Snakeskin model should have reinforcement somewhat similar to the Nobby Nic, Hans Dampf, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Just to clarify, you guys who are having isses with the Rocket Ron, are you running the Performance or Liteskin models?

the Snakeskin model should have reinforcement somewhat similar to the Nobby Nic, Hans Dampf, etc.
    I was running the rr 2.8 snakeskin. It does not feel like the regular snakeskin side wall. It looks and feels less robust.
    To me a thin very balloon like quality to them.

I have a addix 2.6 magic Mary on the front with snake skin apex sidewall and it is must more robust.