2017 Fezzari Cascade Peak Plus- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

2017 Fezzari Cascade Peak Plus

Anybody have some seat time on one of these. The build is great for the price but I am wondering about the ride and geometry.

https://www.fezzari.com/plus-tire/cascade-peak

mtbr member
    weak spec for a 3000$ bike from a Ferrari wanna be direct sales company, shit geometry. Look at YT to see how it's done right.

No offense meant but if you cannot afford a 5000$ bike in the first place you cannot afford wasting 3000$ either

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Steel Calf it doesn't sound like you have any seat time on one. That is really what I am looking for information on. By the way I did not know YT sells plus bikes.

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    weak spec for a 3000$ bike from a Ferrari wanna be direct sales company, shit geometry. Look at YT to see how it's done right.

No offense meant but if you cannot afford a 5000$ bike in the first place you cannot afford wasting 3000$ either
    That's a little harsh. Specs seem ok to me. In fact I had been considering this bike for quite a while too with same questions as sctrix1.

"No offense meant..." Ya, I think you meant offense. $2000 is a lot of extra money to spend to keep bike snobs like you happy. WTHeck dude?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Steel,

I disagree on your "weak specs comment. Pretty much all XT drivetrain which I don't agree as being weak spec plus great shocks, decent rims and nice tires.
    YT definitely offers some nice bikes at a nice price but do they really offer a plus bike? Perhaps they can fit plus tires but then you probably need wider rims which would add to the cost.
    There are certainly geometry differences but not everyone loves the new geometry.
    Two of my friends bought the Fezzarri plus bike and they really like them. I probably wouldn't get a full suspension plus bike because that ain't my thing.
    I think if you are going to pan a product give some good reasons for doing so.
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It seems OK to me. Whenever you have a company who tells you what the product "should" cost, and then what they will actually charge you, then you should understand that they are inflating the "Retail" price. Just think of this as a $3k bike, not a $4500 bike that you are getting for a steal at $3k.

The groupset is fine, though SRAM's wider range 1x11s still have real advantages (going from 10-42 to 11-42 is a respectable difference, and SRAM's derailleurs handle out to 48t without modification). I like that it comes with nice cranks and a nice fork right out of the box.

The frame is uninspiring - just another aluminum mountain bike frame like any other. For a modern frame it is steeper than I'd expect (68.5 head angle, rather than 67-67.5), and gets it's long wheelbase by pushing the rear wheel further back (447mm chainstays, vs a more common 430), rather than pushing the front wheel forward. Might make for a more familiar ride, but not what I've been looking for in frames.

All told, probably a fine deal as long as the frame holds up, but the pricing isn't as amazing as it looks when you compare what people actually pay for new bikes (not MSRPs).

mtbr member
    Fezarri must have been drunk when they specced a 11-42 cassette and no dropper post (probably to avoid later warranty claims), these cowards!

And even the biggest looser company could get geometry right just by copying from everyone else - no excuses here!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Fezarri must have been drunk when they specced a 11-42 cassette and no dropper post (probably to avoid later warranty claims), these cowards!

And even the biggest looser company could get geometry right just by copying from everyone else - no excuses here!
    Ooo, I missed the lack of a dropper - that is an odd omission for a trail bike these days.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Did Fezzari piss in your Wheaties??
    I looked for YT's plus bike and couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

As far as specs are concerned lots of bikes come with an 11-42 and no dropper posts. Add $200 to the price if you want an 11-46 and a dropper.
    And not everyone is a fan of the "modern geometry".

mtbr member
    The YT Jeffsy comes with 28mm wheels, you can fit 2.6" tires

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Saw a bike weight somewhere, The thing was a 33 pounder..

I thought bikes in the $3,000 arena were all under 31 pounds.

No dropper and a 1x should put a bike like that at less than 31 pounds I'd think.

Fezzari Cascade Peak 27.5 Plus bikes Reviews - Mtbr.com
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The YT Jeffsy comes with 28mm wheels, you can fit 2.6" tires
    Heard good things about the Jeffsy but it is not a plus bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phidauex View Post
    It seems OK to me. Whenever you have a company who tells you what the product "should" cost, and then what they will actually charge you, then you should understand that they are inflating the "Retail" price. Just think of this as a $3k bike, not a $4500 bike that you are getting for a steal at $3k.

The groupset is fine, though SRAM's wider range 1x11s still have real advantages (going from 10-42 to 11-42 is a respectable difference, and SRAM's derailleurs handle out to 48t without modification). I like that it comes with nice cranks and a nice fork right out of the box.

The frame is uninspiring - just another aluminum mountain bike frame like any other. For a modern frame it is steeper than I'd expect (68.5 head angle, rather than 67-67.5), and gets it's long wheelbase by pushing the rear wheel further back (447mm chainstays, vs a more common 430), rather than pushing the front wheel forward. Might make for a more familiar ride, but not what I've been looking for in frames.

All told, probably a fine deal as long as the frame holds up, but the pricing isn't as amazing as it looks when you compare what people actually pay for new bikes (not MSRPs).
    Are 430mm stays really common for full suspension plus bikes? I thought 440-445 was pretty average. I could be mis remembering as I'm not in bike shopping mode

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Are 430mm stays really common for full suspension plus bikes?
    yes. However I personally prefer 440mm as it improves climbing performance for riders with a longer inseam. I'm also wearing a backpack quite often

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by phidauex View Post

The frame measurements you commented on are exactly why I've stopped considering this bike. This frame pretty much has similar geometry as my fat bike. I already have that, thank you.

Thanks for your input. Makes me more comfortable in my decision to look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Other options

Just food for thought, I was really close to purchasing this bike but ended up going for a Santa Cruz Hightower S+. My reasoning was two fold. One I could not test ride the Fezzari and two for the $3900 I paid for the hightower from Cambria I thought the overall package with carbon frame was a better value. One other issue with the fezzari is the shorter travel rear end vs a more balance front to back of the hightower. Just something to consider. It seems like fezzari are a pretty good company and stand by there product from what I hear. All the reviews I could find were very positive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    They do offer a 30-day money back guarantee with free return shipping if you dont like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    sctrix1,

You didn't mention what type of riding you want to do.

If you want to win cross country races, or go to lift serviced mountains and technical downhills, this is not your bike. It will do everything else in comfort though, and be fast through technical sections. Designed to climb well, descend well and have loads of traction. You will feel the extra weight on climbs, but it will make up for it elsewhere. You will not be able to jump well with long chainstays, but it will stick to everything like velcro. Its a single pivot design (faux-bar) so you would be best keeping a single chainring at the height of the pivot point, rather than a 2x.

Although I havent ridden the Cascade, I just rented a Fuji Rakan 3.5 which is very similar to ride in CO, and loved it. Better suspension(modified horst and stiffer links), and a dropper post upgrade (very needed). I usually ride 26+ 100mm suspension bikes of higher quality builds which I am fastest on and the Rakan was a dream through technical XC and flow trails. I don't do jumps or drops anymore due to injuries and the like of getting to ride more. If i had to have one bike it would be a 27.5+ around 120mm rear and 140 front, so needless to say I am looking to update.

Low priced alloy 27.5+ bikes that are similar - Fezzari Abajo Peak (great but heavy tires, cheap fork, same great rims, but over a grand less), Fuji Rakan 3.5 (Best value), Diamondback Catch 1 (great price, but needs a bottle mount for me).

Of course if you are of the long, slack, low crowd, or looking to jump or for a mini downhill bike, save your money for something more toward your tastes and buy a used trail bike till you dial in your geometry wants and have the money to get there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Anybody ridden the new 2018 yet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I've purchased a 2018 Cascade Peak. I think its wonderful. Slightly higher bottom bracket then 2017 and a shorter chain stay. Im enjoying the hell out of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonsc View Post
    I've purchased a 2018 Cascade Peak. I think its wonderful. Slightly higher bottom bracket then 2017 and a shorter chain stay. Im enjoying the hell out of it.
    Have any pics?
    Did you happen to measure the bottom bracket yet? The reason I ask is because I read a review that stated the BB height was much lower than advertised.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Following........
    I had an Abajo peak 29er in 2015 (pre 27.5+) nice bike I liked it. I traded it off for a Cannondale Bad Habbit 2 also nice Bike and am now looking at a Santa Cruz Hightower 27.5+.
    Demo'ed one on my home trails and loved it.
    But am curious about the new the Fezzari's.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcobra View Post
    Have any pics?
    Did you happen to measure the bottom bracket yet? The reason I ask is because I read a review that stated the BB height was much lower than advertised.
    Thanks
    I think the specs say 13.5", so I wouldn't say its "much lower." Obviously suspension and tire setup could cause a little variance. 2017 Fezzari Cascade Peak Plus-img_1849.jpg2017 Fezzari Cascade Peak Plus-img_1851.jpg2017 Fezzari Cascade Peak Plus-img_1850.jpg2017 Fezzari Cascade Peak Plus-img_1746.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think the specs say 13.5", so I wouldn't say its "much lower." Obviously suspension and tire setup could cause a little variance. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1849.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	1186689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1851.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	1186686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1850.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	1186687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1746.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	1186688
    Thanks. I think the article I read said it measured 324 mm
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ve-trail-bike/

Are you in Utah?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks. I think the article I read said it measured 324 mm
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ve-trail-bike/

Are you in Utah?
    Anytime. It’s easily 324mm. Yes. I live in Southern Utah.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Anytime. It’s easily 324mm. Yes. I live in Southern Utah.
    I hope its not THAT low. lol
    Do you know if a 29 x 2.6 will fit in the rear triangle?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I hope its not THAT low. lol
    Do you know if a 29 x 2.6 will fit in the rear triangle?
    They utilize this same frame for their 29er Pro. I believe the max width for that setup is 2.5”

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I gotta say the new Fezzari's geometry is spot on. Really want to hear some more impressions of these. Seems like they should be getting more attention then they are.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    I gotta say the new Fezzari's geometry is spot on. Really want to hear some more impressions of these. Seems like they should be getting more attention then they are.
    yeah the only review I read suggested it had a really low BB height, much lower than what's in the specs

Just a flesh wound
    RJ, How are you liking the Cascade Peak? I've been looking at that and the Abajo Peak, both as 27.5+.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Love my Black Friday Cascade Peak out of the box , I have about hundred miles in the desert now no huge drops or massive climbs just hammer time across the desert sand and rocks ,short punchie climbs ,two foot drops and this bike rocks !i don't care about all of the bottom bracket heights and seat tube angles just lovin the ride!!! oh yea it's a 29'er

mtbr member
    My pops just grabbed a 29” Abajo Peak,
    Just wanted to share some positive feedback about the bike itself and Fezzari.

First of all, for $1,999 You really do maximize your dollar for a DANG good looking Taiwanese frame. It came with Ergon grips, and the “cheap” pedals he ordered are actually sick! They have Fezzari written on them, but they look uber similar to Fyxation Mesa pedals, They are nylon with steel pins.

I personally think the geo on this bike is SPOT ON

It came with 29 x 2.5 DHF/DHR tires, looks to me like 2.6 would be the max for the rear, I will report back later on max front tire for the front fork.

The fit and finish of this bike is SO good, looks just like a Salsa frame, there’s also massive seat tube real estate for guys wanting maximum dropper travel.

Fezzari was quick and easy to communicate with my father. They also under promised and over delivered. The bike was sitting on his doorstep on Christmas Eve.

The bike was completely built by Hunter in Park City Utah, They basically build the bike/tune it, then disconnect the bars from the stem and stuff it in a box, This bike was trail ready in less than 5 min.

I’m 100% impressed with everything Fezzari is doing, especially for budget minded enthusiasts.

I will report back after trying to break this thing
    Last edited by mikeetheviking; 12-25-2018 at 03:13 AM. Reason: spelling