2 sets of wheels for the same bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2020

2 sets of wheels for the same bike

Hello,

My apologies if this has been asked, but I couldnít find it on a quick search. Also, I am very new to mountain biking.

I recently ordered a 2021 Commencal META HT AM Race 29. I struggled between it and the 27.5+ model. My question is how feasible would it be to have an extra set of wheels that I could easily swap out if I wanted to ride 27.5+?

thanks

J

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Very feasible? You just get a 27.5+ wheelset with the correct axle spacing, get rotors, tires, and cassette.

SPECIALizED
    I have two wheelsets for my Jet 9. I run the same cassette and rotors on both sets so it's a 2 minute swap with no adjustments needed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Ideally, get a wheelset with the same hub or you might have to use shims for rotors...I have two wheelset for my Fatbike, my gravel/allroad bike and my Ripmo...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Echo what others have said: get same hubs and rotors so don't need to fiddle faddle with brake caliper adjustments/rubbing, or be dang sure all are same widths.

Being able to just swap and go is 10000x better than having to worry about micro adjustments.

Also, keep in mind you'll have lower bottom bracket on the 27.5+ vs the 29.

mtbr member
    I had 4 wheelsets for my Foes Mutz. 29er, 27.5+, 26 fat, and 26 studded fat. Depending on the 27.5s and 29s the bottom bracket won't change much. I run 27.5x3.0 an d 29x2.6 and its only a 1/4' difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Thanks for all the replies. Iím now starting to wonder if it would be better just to buy another bike rather than buy another set of wheels, tires, rotors, and cassette. Lol. Iíll have to crunch the numbers.

This place needs an enema
    Just using the same brand of hubs is no guarantee that you won't have to make adjustments to calipers. Sometimes it works out, more often it doesn't.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If you want a separate wheel set to have different type of riding... then just get a different bike with different geometry to make it actually different. Or make it a set of HT/FS bikes for really different riding. That way you also have a backup bike.

Good wheels are a significant cost of a bike.

Even with same hubs, rotors may have slightly different thickness. And maybe you want a different cassette on the wheels, then the chain will be too long or short. Or the one cassette is more worn than the other.

I'd just ride the new bike and see if the problem you try to resolve with the second wheels actually exists. Even during the same ride you have situations where 29 may be better, then around the corner, 27.5 would be better. So do you carry that set with you just to always have the perfect wheelsize? A well designed bike is designed around a certain wheel and tire size. changing that , changes the intent of the design (which may be good or bad)
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

highly visible
    VERY doable, with caveats I'll mention below.

I lean towards having fewer bikes to maintain in the stable, so I have done this on various bikes for years (even did this back in the rim-brake days). Right now my main "plus" bike is actually a 26" fatbike with a set of 29" wheels built around the same hubs. Despite having bought what is ostensibly a fatbike for MN riding, I ride the 29" wheels 95% of the time, including most of the winter, and reserve the fat tires for softer/deeper snow. Bike fits 29-plus tires just fine (even 3.25), which raises the BB ever so slightly, but since I prefer a higher BB it all works out. Heck, I even have different cassettes - one with a somewhat taller range of gears on the 29" wheel, and somewhat shorter on the fat wheel, for slogging through the snow - and it all works out as long as I size the chain for the bigger-cogged cassette. I haven't found B-screw adjustments to be necessary when switching, since there's never more than a 2-4 tooth difference between one cassette and the other in any given gear.

For your use, what you suggest is very doable, with a couple caveats. Besides the obvious (making sure the second wheelset has the same hub spacing and rotors), make sure you have the tire clearance you need for Plus. Also, I think you may drop the BB a little bit, raising the risk of pedal strikes. Personally I would hate that, but some might not mind, or might even like the lower center of gravity for handling. Check BB Drop in the Geo charts for both the 29" and 27+ versions of your bike to see how much different your setup would be, versus having bought the 27+ version.

Finally, I've experienced what Mikesee says: the exact same model of hub can still line up the rotor a little differently. I bought both sizes of wheelsets at the same time, built with the same hubs, and the rotor on the 29" front wheel definitely runs a bit further inboard than the fat wheel. I still run Avid mechs, and compensate for this by turning the pad adjusters 4-6 notches one way or the other when switching wheels. Not a big deal to me, but that might drive some people insane. Interestingly, the difference in the rear wheels isn't enough (maybe a notch or two on the adjuster wheels) for me to usually bother adjusting the rear brake when switching.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have 2 wheel sets for my Esker Hayduke and it was the best decision I made in years. I use the 27.5 x2.8Ē set up for the really loose conditions in my So Cal summers and quickly swap for the 29x2.4 or 2.5 when Iím doing a lot of climbing or when the trails get some fresh rain. I have both sets ready to swap with tires set up tubeless and Rimpact inserts. Rotors and cassettes. I usually never need to adjust my calipers everything pretty much lines up. Iím using Hadley hubs and Shimano rotors with Sun Race 11/46 cassettes. I use KMC chains and switch the chain thatís married to the cassette but thatís super easy and I can clean my chain while itís off the bike.
    Seven Sola fully rigid MTN SS
    #1⚙️All year
    Seven Evergreen gravel grinder
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    I use the 27.5 x2.8Ē set up for the really loose conditions in my So Cal summers and quickly swap for the 29x2.4 or 2.5 when Iím doing a lot of climbing or when the trails get some fresh rain. I have both sets ready to swap with tires set up tubeless and Rimpact inserts.
    Which tire setup do you have on your setup? Kind of interested in trying 29x2.4(w a 2.5/6 front) on my B+ & curious to know what others in the area are riding with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Itís really loose now, as you know itís been extremely hot and dry with fires everywhere. Now I have WTB i40 rim rear and i45mm front with Kenda Havok with Rimpact 27.5x2.8Ē rear and Teravail Kennebec 27.5x2.8Ē tires front. For 29er I have RaceFace ARC 35 front and rear with Terivail 29x2.5Ē Ehline rear and Teravail 29x2.6Ē Honcho front.
    Here is a video of my plus set-up. https://youtu.be/bTVQ8GDFshA
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Nice, how are you liking the Kennebec? I have the Cumberland 27.5x2.8 front & it's good so far.

That link goes to your grave bike build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I run two wheelsets on most of my bikes, been doing this for years, sometimes I'll even run mullet.

The bike suspension doesn't change with a different wheel size, depending on the difference between the wheel diameters there will be some change in BB height.

If you want to avoid having a really low BB, I'd get a 27.5 and run a second 29" wheel set, that way you get a little BB height increase when running he big wheels which never hurts.
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Teravail Kennebec

This is a really nice wide spaced chunky nob tire. It works great as a front. I have the light and supple version.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    https://youtu.be/MDq7Ua5DMvE
    Here is my bike with a 27.5 plus set up with the Kennebec 27.5x2.8
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    To be fair Teravail positions the Kennebec is their front tire with the Cumberland as their rear(which I have setup as my front).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Iíve run the Cumberland as a front, it works.
    My most aggressive front tire and wheel combo is the Surly Dirt Wizard thatís mounted on a WTB Scaper rims. TheY seal up tubeless really well and can bash into anything without issues.
    #1⚙️All year
    #ride4lifefit4life
    Esker Hayduke hardtail

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    For 29er I have RaceFace ARC 35 front and rear with Terivail 29x2.5Ē Ehline rear and Teravail 29x2.6Ē Honcho front. https://youtu.be/bTVQ8GDFshA
    Hello, may I ask how are you liking the Teravail tires? I hope they have good grip on steep and hard terrain.