Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    EDR

Yeti, are you listening!

Seems like every other thing I read regarding Yeti bikes these days is about folks scrambling to locate and buy a 66 before it's too late. People are driving hours across state, making phone calls to online dealers and scouring the webbernet in search of the last remaining stock of what quickly is becoming an iconic bike for you guys. I bet the R&D on this bike lasted nearly as long as the production run itself, and in such a short time the 66 has been praised from every spectrum of the MTB community. From reviewers to demo'ers to owners, this bike has received almost ubiquitous praise. Why oh why must the end come so quickly? Just as I was contemplating moving on from 3 generations of 575 ownership....whoosh, GONE.

There had better be something special in the works to justify a replacement, and if I know you guys at Yeti, then there certainly is

...can't wait

Bikes!
    I know that Yeti have been pretty vocal on the speculated demise of the SB66, they have stated on these very pages that the bike just wasn't selling in great enough numbers to warrant a further production run and if that changed then they would consider re-running production on the frames. I think what you are witnessing on the internet is people scrambling about trying to find close out frames with huge discount prices which is fair enough in my book.

I'm pretty sad to see the SB66 go, it'd be nice if Yeti could keep it in their product line but times they are a changing, I guess. I know that if I had the spare readies, I'd be putting one in my garage, and I also know where I can get the perfect 66c in my fave colour combo. We shall see how that one pans out though...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member
    Lets start a wish list thread for it's replacement.

Carbon from the start (with aluminum released just behind)
    160mm
    NO Fox 34! PIKE, PIKE PIKE!
    1 x 10
    <17" chainstays
    67 degree HA
    13.5" bb height
    low and semi long TT ( sb66 was .5" too long)
    Standard or Direct mount rear derailleur option
    ISCG-05 tabs
    Stealth and external dropper cable routing
    73mm threaded bb
    142 rear
    Last edited by bpnic; 02-20-2014 at 07:57 AM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Long live the ASR-7
    What happened to the Rockshocks spec bikes? I'd love to see a Yeti from the factory with a Pike up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba View Post
    What happened to the Rockshocks spec bikes? I'd love to see a Yeti from the factory with a Pike up front.

+1!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    My wish list would be pretty short.

Geometry the same with the exception of a slightly steeper seat angle - this would reduce the effective TT a little but Reach would remain the same.

Same travel.

Stealth dropper routing.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re: Yeti, are you listening!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post

Geometry the same with the exception of a slightly steeper seat angle - this would reduce the effective TT a little but Reach would remain the same.

Same travel.

Stealth dropper routing.
    +1. Ended up having to slide the seat way forward to put the power down. Otherwise, carbon, 27.5, and through some sort of black magic, a water bottle cage in the front triangle. Pike stock on a 1x11 build would be nice.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member

Not necessarily true and it depends whether or not your setup is optimized for climbing. A steeper seat angle will increase the ETT if you want to maintain the same "knee over the pedal axle" position. It is because when the angle is steep, it will put your knee in front of the axle. You will need to use an offset seatpost or slide the saddle back in order to achieve that optimal position. As a result the ETT will be longer. Similarly, a slacker seat tube angle will reduce the ETT.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Yes, we're listening. In response to your concern that we're retiring a bike at the peak of it's popularity, our actual sales numbers contrast all the anecdotal evidence pretty sharply. For much more on this, please read my posts here:
    Ode to the ASR-5 (Post #5)
    and here:
    No more 66 from Yeti... (Post #62)

We're working on tons of new bikes right now, and as always, some will make it to production, and some will only make it to the Team or prototyping stage (the 303WC Carbon is the most recent example).

Thanks for all your input and interest in Yeti. Please rest assured your voices are heard.

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc View Post
    Not necessarily true and it depends whether or not your setup is optimized for climbing. A steeper seat angle will increase the ETT if you want to maintain the same "knee over the pedal axle" position. It is because when the angle is steep, it will put your knee in front of the axle. You will need to use an offset seatpost or slide the saddle back in order to achieve that optimal position. As a result the ETT will be longer. Similarly, a slacker seat tube angle will reduce the ETT.
    Yes, absolutely true. I shouldn't have to qualify my statement with "all things being equal", but of course that is implied. I wouldn't ever be using an offset seatpost to achieve a knee-over-pedal-spindle "optimal" fit position that is almost entirely irrelevant to proper mountain biking.

mtbr member
    I think we are going to see a more 66-ish 650b in the future. I also think it will still be aluminum. At least until the sales show a need or demand for a carbon version.

After riding a 75 and a 66 I don't see why a "sb76" wouldn't sell like crazy. It could be even more of a do it all bike than a 66 already is.

My only personal wants are:

13.5"+ bottom bracket
    good cable routing (nothing inside the frame anywhere)
    no frame/tire contact
    integrated down tube guards for mud/rock protection (make it optional)

No matter what I'm sure whatever comes after the 66 will be just as good if not better. We may have to get used to the "bigger" wheel but it isn't like the 650 is huge compared to the 26. I've only got a couple rides on a 650 so I'm no expert but I don't have a problem with making one my next bike.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    IMO, don't look for major RockShox stuff happening *at the same price/performance points* as the leading Fox stuff unless Yeti and Fox part ways, team-wise.

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Yes, we're listening. In response to your concern that we're retiring a bike at the peak of it's popularity, our actual sales numbers contrast all the anecdotal evidence pretty sharply..

JP
    Thanks for chiming in JP. My post was more of a rhetorical question and I didn't fully expect you to reply.

I'm also fully aware of why the bike is being retired. I don't live in a shell and I realize that things that don't sell aren't going to stick around. Your sales numbers punctuate my point. Super great bikes, across many manufacturers, are going to be sent to the trash bin simply because of the new wave of wheel sizes. My post was more of an emotional plea, and an expression of my sadness that such good bikes will be retired simply because of the new fashion in frame sizes. So many people will never know what they're missing. At the same time I remain optimistic about the future of mountain bike design.

Take care, can't wait to see what types of bikes will be coming out over the next two to four years.

mtbr member
    Yes, absolutely true. I shouldn't have to qualify my statement with "all things being equal", but of course that is implied. I wouldn't ever be using an offset seatpost to achieve a knee-over-pedal-spindle "optimal" fit position that is almost entirely irrelevant to proper mountain biking.
    I know what you are saying and that's why I said it depends ... If one sits on the saddle the majority of the time (like XC), my theory holds true. Nevertheless, IMHO, reach is a more important factor than ETT in choosing an AM bike.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc View Post
    Well, no. The ETT is simply a measurement of the bike horizontally from the center top of the head tube to the center of the seat tube. Certainly if the seat tube angle was too steep you would slide your seat back to accomodate and vice versa. This would in no way change the ETT as you're not cutting tubes and rewelding the frame. What he was saying was that if they made the seat tube angle steeper, maintaining the same reach, the ETT as measured would be shorter, and you wouldn't have to slide the seat forward as much as you have to with a slacker seat angle. Anyway, for the same reach, a slacker seat tube results in a longer ETT, and a steeper seat tube results in a shorter ETT. This is why if you're comparing bikes by ETT you have to also look at the seat tube angle. Otherwise you may look at a bike thinking it has a nice long ETT, when in reality it just has a really slack seat tube angle, and by the time you slide the seat forward into a useful position the bike feels short and cramped. Not trying to be a stickler. I just wouldn't want people to think it worked the wrong way and order the wrong size bike based on that.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's interesting that Yeti is discontinuing a bike that had such great success under Graves in the EWS. I watched a recent interview with him and when he was asked if he was going to change wheel sizes for this years EWS, he said "no".

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by Squib38 View Post
    It's interesting that Yeti is discontinuing a bike that had such great success".
    Great success is all relative. It's like a movie or a TV show that gets great critical acclaim but nobody watches it so its cut after season or two. It's a shame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Well, no. The ETT is simply a measurement of the bike horizontally from the center top of the head tube to the center of the seat tube. Certainly if the seat tube angle was too steep you would slide your seat back to accomodate and vice versa. This would in no way change the ETT as you're not cutting tubes and rewelding the frame. What he was saying was that if they made the seat tube angle steeper, maintaining the same reach, the ETT as measured would be shorter, and you wouldn't have to slide the seat forward as much as you have to with a slacker seat angle. Anyway, for the same reach, a slacker seat tube results in a longer ETT, and a steeper seat tube results in a shorter ETT. This is why if you're comparing bikes by ETT you have to also look at the seat tube angle.
    Fair. My definition (apparently is different from everyone else, so my bad) of the horizontal distance between the center top of the head tube to the center of the seat tube is called Virtual Top Tube.

Otherwise you may look at a bike thinking it has a nice long ETT, when in reality it just has a really slack seat tube angle, and by the time you slide the seat forward into a useful position the bike feels short and cramped. Not trying to be a stickler. I just wouldn't want people to think it worked the wrong way and order the wrong size bike based on that.
    I was just saying the same thing. Thanks for explaining in detail.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    It's interesting that Yeti is discontinuing a bike that had such great success under Graves in the EWS. I watched a recent interview with him and when he was asked if he was going to change wheel sizes for this years EWS, he said "no".
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Great success is all relative. It's like a movie or a TV show that gets great critical acclaim but nobody watches it so its cut after season or two. It's a shame.
    Graves and the rest of our Enduro riders will be on the 66C for most or all of the 2014 season.
    Last edited by John P.; 02-20-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Yeti, are you listening!

I think the biggest problem is not the new wave of wheel sizes, it's the price point. People just don't want to pay $6k for a bike in today's unstable world economy. Here in Switzerland we live in an economic bubble with some of the best wages of anywhere in the world yet all you see out on the trails are Canyon and YT bikes. People just don't want to pay that much for a bike. Period.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

From what I heard it wasn't just relatively low numbers. The number was more like zero for both 66a and 66c orders from dealers, and they had to decide whether to do another production run or not. I still may try to find a large. I just got an ARC carbon and I'm pretty happy with it. A 66 would cover all my bases for anything more than xc.

mtbr member
    It was 12. There where only a dozen orders for the 26" super bike.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    It was 12. There where only a dozen orders for the 26" super bike.
    Sad face. Awesome bike. The fact that they're going all in on Enduro on a bike they're not even making anymore makes it seem like this was a decision they weren't ready for and didn't want to make. Maybe increased demand from a good enduro showing will lead to a resurrection?

EDR

Sad face. Awesome bike. The fact that they're going all in on Enduro on a bike they're not even making anymore makes it seem like this was a decision they weren't ready for and didn't want to make. Maybe increased demand from a good enduro showing will lead to a resurrection?

I don't think the Enduro season will make one bit of difference one way or the other. The general public pays no attention to racing. Heck, I am an avid mountain biker and I pay no attention.

Bikes!

Graves came 2nd in the Enduro World Series and 3rd in the DH World Champs on what was essentially the same bike, if that wasn't good enough showing then I don't know what would be? 26" is dead, that's an absolute fact, I'm just excited to see the SB76c which will happen as a result of all of this.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast