Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    EDR

Yeti, are you listening!

Seems like every other thing I read regarding Yeti bikes these days is about folks scrambling to locate and buy a 66 before it's too late. People are driving hours across state, making phone calls to online dealers and scouring the webbernet in search of the last remaining stock of what quickly is becoming an iconic bike for you guys. I bet the R&D on this bike lasted nearly as long as the production run itself, and in such a short time the 66 has been praised from every spectrum of the MTB community. From reviewers to demo'ers to owners, this bike has received almost ubiquitous praise. Why oh why must the end come so quickly? Just as I was contemplating moving on from 3 generations of 575 ownership....whoosh, GONE.

There had better be something special in the works to justify a replacement, and if I know you guys at Yeti, then there certainly is

...can't wait

mtbr member
    I know that Yeti have been pretty vocal on the speculated demise of the SB66, they have stated on these very pages that the bike just wasn't selling in great enough numbers to warrant a further production run and if that changed then they would consider re-running production on the frames. I think what you are witnessing on the internet is people scrambling about trying to find close out frames with huge discount prices which is fair enough in my book.

I'm pretty sad to see the SB66 go, it'd be nice if Yeti could keep it in their product line but times they are a changing, I guess. I know that if I had the spare readies, I'd be putting one in my garage, and I also know where I can get the perfect 66c in my fave colour combo. We shall see how that one pans out though...

mtbr member
    Lets start a wish list thread for it's replacement.

Carbon from the start (with aluminum released just behind)
    160mm
    NO Fox 34! PIKE, PIKE PIKE!
    1 x 10
    <17" chainstays
    67 degree HA
    13.5" bb height
    low and semi long TT ( sb66 was .5" too long)
    Standard or Direct mount rear derailleur option
    ISCG-05 tabs
    Stealth and external dropper cable routing
    73mm threaded bb
    142 rear
    Last edited by bpnic; 02-20-2014 at 07:57 AM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Long live the ASR-7
    What happened to the Rockshocks spec bikes? I'd love to see a Yeti from the factory with a Pike up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doba View Post
    What happened to the Rockshocks spec bikes? I'd love to see a Yeti from the factory with a Pike up front.

+1!

mtbr member
    My wish list would be pretty short.

Geometry the same with the exception of a slightly steeper seat angle - this would reduce the effective TT a little but Reach would remain the same.

Same travel.

Stealth dropper routing.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re: Yeti, are you listening!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post

Geometry the same with the exception of a slightly steeper seat angle - this would reduce the effective TT a little but Reach would remain the same.

Same travel.

Stealth dropper routing.
    +1. Ended up having to slide the seat way forward to put the power down. Otherwise, carbon, 27.5, and through some sort of black magic, a water bottle cage in the front triangle. Pike stock on a 1x11 build would be nice.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Fall in Fruita/GJ. F' yeah! Lunch Loops are riding sweet and so is everything else.

mtbr member

Not necessarily true and it depends whether or not your setup is optimized for climbing. A steeper seat angle will increase the ETT if you want to maintain the same "knee over the pedal axle" position. It is because when the angle is steep, it will put your knee in front of the axle. You will need to use an offset seatpost or slide the saddle back in order to achieve that optimal position. As a result the ETT will be longer. Similarly, a slacker seat tube angle will reduce the ETT.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Yes, we're listening. In response to your concern that we're retiring a bike at the peak of it's popularity, our actual sales numbers contrast all the anecdotal evidence pretty sharply. For much more on this, please read my posts here:
    Ode to the ASR-5 (Post #5)
    and here:
    No more 66 from Yeti... (Post #62)

We're working on tons of new bikes right now, and as always, some will make it to production, and some will only make it to the Team or prototyping stage (the 303WC Carbon is the most recent example).

Thanks for all your input and interest in Yeti. Please rest assured your voices are heard.

JP
    Yeti Cycles// Ride Driven

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT yeticycles DOT com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc View Post
    Not necessarily true and it depends whether or not your setup is optimized for climbing. A steeper seat angle will increase the ETT if you want to maintain the same "knee over the pedal axle" position. It is because when the angle is steep, it will put your knee in front of the axle. You will need to use an offset seatpost or slide the saddle back in order to achieve that optimal position. As a result the ETT will be longer. Similarly, a slacker seat tube angle will reduce the ETT.
    Yes, absolutely true. I shouldn't have to qualify my statement with "all things being equal", but of course that is implied. I wouldn't ever be using an offset seatpost to achieve a knee-over-pedal-spindle "optimal" fit position that is almost entirely irrelevant to proper mountain biking.

mtbr member
    I think we are going to see a more 66-ish 650b in the future. I also think it will still be aluminum. At least until the sales show a need or demand for a carbon version.

After riding a 75 and a 66 I don't see why a "sb76" wouldn't sell like crazy. It could be even more of a do it all bike than a 66 already is.

My only personal wants are:

13.5"+ bottom bracket
    good cable routing (nothing inside the frame anywhere)
    no frame/tire contact
    integrated down tube guards for mud/rock protection (make it optional)

No matter what I'm sure whatever comes after the 66 will be just as good if not better. We may have to get used to the "bigger" wheel but it isn't like the 650 is huge compared to the 26. I've only got a couple rides on a 650 so I'm no expert but I don't have a problem with making one my next bike.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Chilling out
    IMO, don't look for major RockShox stuff happening *at the same price/performance points* as the leading Fox stuff unless Yeti and Fox part ways, team-wise.

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Yes, we're listening. In response to your concern that we're retiring a bike at the peak of it's popularity, our actual sales numbers contrast all the anecdotal evidence pretty sharply..

JP
    Thanks for chiming in JP. My post was more of a rhetorical question and I didn't fully expect you to reply.

I'm also fully aware of why the bike is being retired. I don't live in a shell and I realize that things that don't sell aren't going to stick around. Your sales numbers punctuate my point. Super great bikes, across many manufacturers, are going to be sent to the trash bin simply because of the new wave of wheel sizes. My post was more of an emotional plea, and an expression of my sadness that such good bikes will be retired simply because of the new fashion in frame sizes. So many people will never know what they're missing. At the same time I remain optimistic about the future of mountain bike design.

Take care, can't wait to see what types of bikes will be coming out over the next two to four years.

mtbr member
    Yes, absolutely true. I shouldn't have to qualify my statement with "all things being equal", but of course that is implied. I wouldn't ever be using an offset seatpost to achieve a knee-over-pedal-spindle "optimal" fit position that is almost entirely irrelevant to proper mountain biking.
    I know what you are saying and that's why I said it depends ... If one sits on the saddle the majority of the time (like XC), my theory holds true. Nevertheless, IMHO, reach is a more important factor than ETT in choosing an AM bike.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc View Post
    Well, no. The ETT is simply a measurement of the bike horizontally from the center top of the head tube to the center of the seat tube. Certainly if the seat tube angle was too steep you would slide your seat back to accomodate and vice versa. This would in no way change the ETT as you're not cutting tubes and rewelding the frame. What he was saying was that if they made the seat tube angle steeper, maintaining the same reach, the ETT as measured would be shorter, and you wouldn't have to slide the seat forward as much as you have to with a slacker seat angle. Anyway, for the same reach, a slacker seat tube results in a longer ETT, and a steeper seat tube results in a shorter ETT. This is why if you're comparing bikes by ETT you have to also look at the seat tube angle. Otherwise you may look at a bike thinking it has a nice long ETT, when in reality it just has a really slack seat tube angle, and by the time you slide the seat forward into a useful position the bike feels short and cramped. Not trying to be a stickler. I just wouldn't want people to think it worked the wrong way and order the wrong size bike based on that.
    Fall in Fruita/GJ. F' yeah! Lunch Loops are riding sweet and so is everything else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It's interesting that Yeti is discontinuing a bike that had such great success under Graves in the EWS. I watched a recent interview with him and when he was asked if he was going to change wheel sizes for this years EWS, he said "no".

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by Squib38 View Post
    It's interesting that Yeti is discontinuing a bike that had such great success".
    Great success is all relative. It's like a movie or a TV show that gets great critical acclaim but nobody watches it so its cut after season or two. It's a shame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Well, no. The ETT is simply a measurement of the bike horizontally from the center top of the head tube to the center of the seat tube. Certainly if the seat tube angle was too steep you would slide your seat back to accomodate and vice versa. This would in no way change the ETT as you're not cutting tubes and rewelding the frame. What he was saying was that if they made the seat tube angle steeper, maintaining the same reach, the ETT as measured would be shorter, and you wouldn't have to slide the seat forward as much as you have to with a slacker seat angle. Anyway, for the same reach, a slacker seat tube results in a longer ETT, and a steeper seat tube results in a shorter ETT. This is why if you're comparing bikes by ETT you have to also look at the seat tube angle.
    Fair. My definition (apparently is different from everyone else, so my bad) of the horizontal distance between the center top of the head tube to the center of the seat tube is called Virtual Top Tube.

Otherwise you may look at a bike thinking it has a nice long ETT, when in reality it just has a really slack seat tube angle, and by the time you slide the seat forward into a useful position the bike feels short and cramped. Not trying to be a stickler. I just wouldn't want people to think it worked the wrong way and order the wrong size bike based on that.
    I was just saying the same thing. Thanks for explaining in detail.

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    It's interesting that Yeti is discontinuing a bike that had such great success under Graves in the EWS. I watched a recent interview with him and when he was asked if he was going to change wheel sizes for this years EWS, he said "no".
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Great success is all relative. It's like a movie or a TV show that gets great critical acclaim but nobody watches it so its cut after season or two. It's a shame.
    Graves and the rest of our Enduro riders will be on the 66C for most or all of the 2014 season.
    Last edited by John P.; 02-20-2014 at 09:06 AM.

mtbr member

Yeti, are you listening!

I think the biggest problem is not the new wave of wheel sizes, it's the price point. People just don't want to pay $6k for a bike in today's unstable world economy. Here in Switzerland we live in an economic bubble with some of the best wages of anywhere in the world yet all you see out on the trails are Canyon and YT bikes. People just don't want to pay that much for a bike. Period.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

From what I heard it wasn't just relatively low numbers. The number was more like zero for both 66a and 66c orders from dealers, and they had to decide whether to do another production run or not. I still may try to find a large. I just got an ARC carbon and I'm pretty happy with it. A 66 would cover all my bases for anything more than xc.

mtbr member
    It was 12. There where only a dozen orders for the 26" super bike.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    It was 12. There where only a dozen orders for the 26" super bike.
    Sad face. Awesome bike. The fact that they're going all in on Enduro on a bike they're not even making anymore makes it seem like this was a decision they weren't ready for and didn't want to make. Maybe increased demand from a good enduro showing will lead to a resurrection?

EDR

Sad face. Awesome bike. The fact that they're going all in on Enduro on a bike they're not even making anymore makes it seem like this was a decision they weren't ready for and didn't want to make. Maybe increased demand from a good enduro showing will lead to a resurrection?

I don't think the Enduro season will make one bit of difference one way or the other. The general public pays no attention to racing. Heck, I am an avid mountain biker and I pay no attention.

mtbr member

Graves came 2nd in the Enduro World Series and 3rd in the DH World Champs on what was essentially the same bike, if that wasn't good enough showing then I don't know what would be? 26" is dead, that's an absolute fact, I'm just excited to see the SB76c which will happen as a result of all of this.

Chilling out
    JJ, it isn't that the bike doesn't show well, it's that the lemmings are being told 26 is dead and the listen because they have no brain cells of their own.

It's the same problem that kept 29ers a fad for ten years.

Oh, wait, 29ers are *still* just a fad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    JJ, it isn't that the bike doesn't show well, it's that the lemmings are being told 26 is dead and the listen because they have no brain cells of their own.

It's the same problem that kept 29ers a fad for ten years.

Oh, wait, 29ers are *still* just a fad.
    OK maybe me saying they're dead was a poor choice of words, but as far as new 26" bikes being launched, well that's just not happening. As I say, I'd love a '66, I'm definitely not an elitist wheel size fascist or a "lemming" come to mention it!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    OK maybe me saying they're dead was a poor choice of words, but as far as new 26" bikes being launched, well that's just not happening. As I say, I'd love a '66, I'm definitely not an elitist wheel size fascist or a "lemming" come to mention it!
    I like lemmings. With a little bit of Sriracha sauce, they're delicious!

mtbr member

Yeti, are you listening!

Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    What about the evil uprising? New 26 inch and a strong candidate for bike of the year. I'd be interested to know how the 650b bikes are selling. I don't have any hard numbers but from what my LBS says they are not selling as well as they hoped. They also have a top range SC Bronson that has sat in the window for almost a whole year now. Even at 20% off no one is buying it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    What about the evil uprising? New 26 inch and a strong candidate for bike of the year. I'd be interested to know how the 650b bikes are selling. I don't have any hard numbers but from what my LBS says they are not selling as well as they hoped. They also have a top range SC Bronson that has sat in the window for almost a whole year now. Even at 20% off no one is buying it.
    Interesting, yes the Uprising is a very good 26" but it's not a high volume seller, I wonder how well the Trek Fuel 26" still sells, that would give a much better indication I'm betting...

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    What about the evil uprising? New 26 inch and a strong candidate for bike of the year.
    Not a knock on Evil at all (hell, I literally founded the company!), but I wonder how many they're selling? I sincerely hope it's a lot, because that company is my baby.

I'd be interested to know how the 650b bikes are selling.
    SB75's and 575's are each selling more than 50:1 over the 66.

I've got no agenda here, guys. A year and a half ago, you could not find a bigger advocate of 26ers than me, and I'm still in love with my 66C. I'm just trying to give you hard data and facts.

JP

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    50:1! Ouch, that is very surprising. Not to complicate things further...but I often wonder about the role of the consumer here. Bike shops place orders...consumers more or less have to buy what's offered. So even if they want that 26, they are forced to go 27.5. I find with the 27.5 movement, the companies are driving demand more than consumers (although this is always the case to some degree, just more pronounced in this case).

I frankly don't really mind one way or the other. I don't see 27.5 as all that different, so it's quite a bit different from having to make the move from 26 to 29.

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post

I frankly don't really mind one way or the other. I don't see 27.5 as all that different, so it's quite a bit different from having to make the move from 26 to 29.
    I agree. I do not see 27.5 as all that different from 26. Which makes it all that more frustrating. Change for the sake of change. Change for the sake of taking more of the consumers dollars. My $800 Lyrik fork is now useless on a new bike. My wheels tires, useless.

mtbr member

I'm just trying to give you hard data and facts.

JP
    We appreciate it, as ever John, I don't think there are many companies willing to give such an honest appraisal of what's happening in the market at the moment. Thank you

Int'l Sales Mgr. - Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    I find with the 27.5 movement, the companies are driving demand more than consumers (although this is always the case to some degree, just more pronounced in this case).
    Change for the sake of taking more of the consumers dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    Bike companys probably don't like the idea of someone going out and just buying a frame to go with all the 26" gear they already have lying around...
    I've written this about a dozen times in other threads, but the thing that many people are failing to realize here is that this is a market-driven business. Do you think we like the staggering thought of blowing through piles of inventory and completely redesigning every bike we make to accommodate a new wheel size? Hell no. It's much easier to just tweak what we have and use the knowledge that we've already gained about 26ers and roll with that.

But if there's almost zero demand for a product, how do you guys propose we sell it and stay in business?

A lot of people are quick to chime in and claim there's some sort of grand conspiracy going on here to squeeze every last dollar out of your wallets, but here's the dirty little secret: there's no one smart enough in the bike industry to orchestrate something like that. Seriously. I've been in the business for 14 or 15 years now, worked with some brilliant people, and have tons of respect for my peers and colleagues. That being said, I haven't met any one person (much less a group of people) who could force feed you guys this stuff if there was just no demand for it.

If you don't believe me, stop past your local shop and ask them how easy it is to basically clear out tons of inventory to make room for a new standard. You'll hear the same thing.

At the end of the day, 27.5 has come about because there's massive consumer demand for it . . . and for good reason - properly designed 27.5 bikes are crazy fast and tons of fun to ride.

JP

EDR

I've written this about a dozen times in other threads, but the thing that many people are failing to realize here is that this is a market-driven business.

JP
    JP, speaking for myself I personally think you're misreading my posts. I realize it's a market-driven business, that's what's so frustrating. The market is being moved towards a new style of bike for no apparent reason. I do not blame Yeti or any other manufacturer for this. Its marketing, it's what the new people to the sport are told they want .. They think that 26rs are out of date. I totally understand why what is happening is happening. Hence, all the frustration.

I understand the market and why what is happening is happening. I've read all of your post's at one time or another I'm sure. If I was a fly on the
    The wall at Yeti meetings over at headquarters I bet I'd hear a lot about how this is a tough transition for you folks as well. The change feels like it's being forced upon all of us whether we like it or not. This includes the manufactures and the buyers.

mtbr member
    I'm sticking with this ripper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti, are you listening!-win_20131227_155654.jpg  

mtbr member
    The change feels like it's being forced upon all of us whether we like it or not. This includes the manufactures and the buyers.
    I would tend to disagree. I don't believe there is some bicycle illuminati, the editors of Mountain Bike Action, the CEO of Specialized and the moderators of Pinkbike all in collusion, using Jedi mind tricks to force us to buy stuff. The only constant in mountain biking is change. Manufacturers are only going to make what consumers are going to buy, or they go out of business. I love my sb66, and bought it after demoing it, a 75 and a 95.

I think it is so cool that we can even have this dialog amongst ourselves and a Yeti executive!

mtbr member
    Where are you? The shop near me that carriers SC is selling Bronson's like hot cakes.

mtbr member
    I've written this about a dozen times in other threads, but the thing that many people are failing to realize here is that this is a market-driven business. Do you think we like the staggering thought of blowing through piles of inventory and completely redesigning every bike we make to accommodate a new wheel size? Hell no. It's much easier to just tweak what we have and use the knowledge that we've already gained about 26ers and roll with that.

But if there's almost zero demand for a product, how do you guys propose we sell it and stay in business?

A lot of people are quick to chime in and claim there's some sort of grand conspiracy going on here to squeeze every last dollar out of your wallets, but here's the dirty little secret: there's no one smart enough in the bike industry to orchestrate something like that. Seriously. I've been in the business for 14 or 15 years now, worked with some brilliant people, and have tons of respect for my peers and colleagues. That being said, I haven't met any one person (much less a group of people) who could force feed you guys this stuff if there was just no demand for it.

If you don't believe me, stop past your local shop and ask them how easy it is to basically clear out tons of inventory to make room for a new standard. You'll hear the same thing.

At the end of the day, 27.5 has come about because there's massive consumer demand for it . . . and for good reason - properly designed 27.5 bikes are crazy fast and tons of fun to ride.

JP
    John, I literally am joining the tribe today, as my 575 is due to arrive by day's end.
    I am on here and Pinkbike a bit (too much, esp. since the weather is not cooperating at all this winter.)
    I still blows my mind that people have this notion there is some sort of conspiracy within the industry to make a change and force consumers to buy something they don't want.
    To back up what you said, someone on PB did some research to prove someone wrong about this and instead found sales numbers that backed it up: 29ers up 100%, 26" down 20%. This is not the industry forcing anything, it is consumers speaking with their money. (I think it was Rocky Mt. sales numbers)

Personally, I have been riding a 650b converted Blur LT and Nickel for over 3 years. On occasion i have ridden both bikes with 26" wheels again and there is no question the 650b offers a better ride.
    I am sure most of the people crying about this have never ridden one.
    I am also curious if they were crying when tapered forks made straight steerer frames obsolete, just as disc brake made post mount only frames obsolete before them...

EDR

Nobody's crying. The vast majority of us are long time riders and long time Yeti owners. We're having adult discussion about the recent change within the industry, and how it makes me personally a little bit bummed.

Welcome to the tribe!

mtbr member
    Ok no one's crying.
    But can you explain to me who is forcing this on everyone? I am with viteaux: there is no illuminati, conspiracy, collusion or anything like that going on…

I have been riding since '86 - when bikes were total crap by today's standards.

Things have been evolving since then, some times incrementally, some times dramatically.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    RR, I think the vast majority of people upset by the 66 going away are owners who know what everyone else is missing. It makes many reactionary when something we feel is so good is not wanted anymore by the new bike customers. Many people that are in the market for a "new" bike unfortunately want what is new and hot and that is 650b right now. Those of us that ride a 66 or 66C know that it is the geometry and the linear/rising/linear suspension that is the magic and 650 wheels are only going to improve that bike marginally. The 95 is a great option for maximum roll over and best of 29er traits in a classic Yeti package and between the 66 and 95 there is not much room for improvement. I appreciate that Yeti evaluates the market and only brings out bikes that fit their culture. That said I am not sure the 75 is what people think it is, certainly not a 650 version of the 66. I am sure that will come but for now it is my 66C/ARC C/575 650 that will cover the bases.

Single Track Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Ok no one's crying.
    But can you explain to me who is forcing this on everyone? I am with viteaux: there is no illuminati, conspiracy, collusion or anything like that going on…

I have been riding since '86 - when bikes were total crap by today's standards.

Things have been evolving since then, some times incrementally, some times dramatically.
    Maybe it's aliens?
    Will ride singletrack for food...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy View Post
    Maybe it's aliens?
    clearly...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinsley1 View Post
    RR, I think the vast majority of people upset by the 66 going away are owners who know what everyone else is missing. It makes many reactionary when something we feel is so good is not wanted anymore by the new bike customers. Many people that are in the market for a "new" bike unfortunately want what is new and hot and that is 650b right now. Those of us that ride a 66 or 66C know that it is the geometry and the linear/rising/linear suspension that is the magic and 650 wheels are only going to improve that bike marginally. The 95 is a great option for maximum roll over and best of 29er traits in a classic Yeti package and between the 66 and 95 there is not much room for improvement. I appreciate that Yeti evaluates the market and only brings out bikes that fit their culture. That said I am not sure the 75 is what people think it is, certainly not a 650 version of the 66. I am sure that will come but for now it is my 66C/ARC C/575 650 that will cover the bases.
    I hear you. I agree, the "problem" is that the SB75 is not what people think it would be, a smaller wheeled version of the 95, rather than a larger wheeled 66.
    In some respects, I can understand, as Santa Cruz suddenly discontinued the APP bikes (Nickel and Butcher) that I was a big fan of. Ironically, I think that design may be the way to make a bike with more progressive geometry that the Bronson lacks due to constraints of the VPP design. ( sorry for the tangent, I know this is a Yeti forum)

I have to believe they are working on a SB76 that will be as good or better than the 66.

mtbr member
    Not a knock on Evil at all (hell, I literally founded the company!), but I wonder how many they're selling? I sincerely hope it's a lot, because that company is my baby.

SB75's and 575's are each selling more than 50:1 over the 66.

I've got no agenda here, guys. A year and a half ago, you could not find a bigger advocate of 26ers than me, and I'm still in love with my 66C. I'm just trying to give you hard data and facts.

JP
    Certainly that is due to the walls broken down by 29ers. It made the decision to buy a 27.5 easy for me as a customer so the dealers are going to give the people what they want. The hard part was finding out Yeti chose to slot the 27.5 575 where IMO a SB bike would take market share from companies which are already there (Santa Cruz, Rocky Mtn, Pivot) 575 is again IMO settling, not leading a trend like the SB66 and SB95 did when they were introduced. I know that sounds harsh, but I've supported this brand since Volant owned them and it bums me out to see Yeti settle or worse introduce something in April which their dealers won't be able to sell until July.
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What I can't figure out is how an entire company that prefers 26inch versions of theirs bikes (lunch time ride) can be so unanimously wrong about which bike to ride given the option.

I personally think John is right, most of the buying public is probably demanding the 650. We are a popcorn society that is easily influenced by the latest shiny object. How can something so new, so quickly obsolete a wheel size that has been around for so long?????

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Yeti, are you listening!

Quote Originally Posted by SicBith View Post
    The hard part was finding out Yeti chose to slot the 27.5 575 where IMO a SB bike would take market share from companies which are already there (Santa Cruz, Rocky Mtn, Pivot) 575 is again IMO settling, not leading a trend like the SB66 and SB95 did when they were introduced.
    Why is it settling for yeti to take a tried and true design (the 575) and apply it to the new wheel size?

mtbr member
    575 is a great bike design...I've owned two of them, and still ride one occasionally But if I'm going to bring out a high end trail bike with 6" of suspension my choice would not be a single pivot. The design has great merits, but technological it is being out paced by other suspension designs (SB as an example) which deal with pedal bob, absorbing terrain while braking, influence of pedaling on suspension and other issues which come with single pivot bikes.
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast