mtbr member

Yeti warranty void?

I've asked Competitive cyclist (no help) and am waiting to hear back from Yeti...but I'm thinking of buying an ASR5c frameset from CC, and building it myself. I have no Yeti dealer within a 2 hour drive.
    Will this void the 5 year warranty?
    Last edited by bpnic; 01-21-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Should you not wait until you get a reply from the people that are going to help you the most (obliviously not CC) if something does go tits up, not bagging, just saying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nzhumpy View Post
    Should you not wait until you get a reply from the people that are going to help you the most (obliviously not CC) if something does go tits up, not bagging, just saying.

I surely plan to wait, that's a large investment!

mtbr member
    I would still Buy it a LBS even it is 2hrs away but i think if something happens then maybe you can send it Fedex to the shop or drive it and then have the LBS ship it back to you Via Fedex ,if you do alot of your own work This would be the best option !! A LBS is always better then an Online dealer !
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    A LBS is always better then an Online dealer !

Actually, this is not entirely true for various reasons. (But you're obviously entitled to your opinion.)

... I won't even mention the two hour drive each way or the $1000 price difference between the two for the Asr5c (frame only).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    Had my 07 built up by an independent mechanic because there was no dealership here at the time. Had a warranty replacement about 2 months ago with no issues. Mechanic I used is a former pro guy, and warranty issue was not related to build- weld failed.
    Great info MBjr! I just added to your rep-
    Thx!

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Had my 07 built up by an independent mechanic because there was no dealership here at the time. Had a warranty replacement about 2 months ago with no issues. Mechanic I used is a former pro guy, and warranty issue was not related to build- weld failed.

mtbr member
    There was some discussion about this a while back, IICR the conclusion was that Yeti hasn't yet denied warranty claims because of not being assembled by a dealer.

Personally, I'd never in a million years buy any product from a company that had a policy like that. If Yeti wanted to completely eliminate any brand loyalty, a policy that only a dealer could put components on their frames would do it.
    I could see if the damage you were trying to warranty was obviously related to assembly, but as a blanket policy it's absurd.

And since I am a better mechanic than 99% of LBS goons, and a reputable company would honor their warranty with me directly, a LBS is not necessarily better than the internet.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    My guess is the clause around "assembled by a Yeti dealer" is to help enforce non-warrenty on issues related to a build down by someone who does not know wtf they are doing. i.e., over tightening the pinch plots on the swing arm, leading to failure of the joint (tighter has to better, right?) Yeti, to my knowledge, has always been very reasonable (I have been a customer for 20 years), and will always err on the side of the customer, IMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    There was some discussion about this a while back, IICR the conclusion was that Yeti hasn't yet denied warranty claims because of not being assembled by a dealer.

Personally, I'd never in a million years buy any product from a company that had a policy like that. If Yeti wanted to completely eliminate any brand loyalty, a policy that only a dealer could put components on their frames would do it.
    I could see if the damage you were trying to warranty was obviously related to assembly, but as a blanket policy it's absurd.

And since I am a better mechanic than 99% of LBS goons, and a reputable company would honor their warranty with me directly, a LBS is not necessarily better than the internet.

Good stuff Joules! Thx man-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by belljeffw View Post
    I've had 3 warranty replacements from Yeti over the years, and I always start with just the frame. The question of who built the bike never even came up.
    Thanks, that makes me feel better!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've had 3 warranty replacements from Yeti over the years, and I always start with just the frame. The question of who built the bike never even came up.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    From the SB-66 manual:

"This warranty is void if the bicycle was not properly assembled by an authorized Yeti dealer."

Yeti Cycles // Ride Driven

I bought my BT frame and fork from a dealer and they mentioned this when I took delivery. I exclaimed that this was BS, and that I was a competent mechanic. They then told me not to worry and that they would take care of me. Another reason to buy from a dealer...good CS.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    I spoke to Yeti today via email. I won't go into specifics, but I'm happy with what they told me.
    That's a great bike company.

mtbr member
    Well I am a bit disappointed by Yeti's service.

I am a small local bikeshop (who's proud to have yeti) in Belgium (Europe). I send a mail 2 weeks ago with a simple question, but up until today no response

I sell Yeti, not a lot, but hoped to get at least some response from Yeti on a simple question. If this is not even working well, what when I need some 'real' support when I have a warranty issue ??
    Looks like the US is the only interesting country for yeti ..

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's not entirely true. I am from Egypt and JohnP from Yeti provided me with the speediest responses ever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So will I void my warranty if I build my SB66 myself?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by pcemkr View Post
    So will I void my warranty if I build my SB66 myself?
    No. Unless of course you fubar something up during the process of building it.

Like others have said, I have had experience with Yeti frame warranty and the question of who built the frame never came up. I wouldn't be surprised if it did come up if you are trying to warranty a brand new frame with gacked up bottom bracket threads though.

Nobody on this forum has ever heard of warranty being denied b/c the owner built the bike themselves. Just don't ham fist a new frame and no worries. The 'policy' is insurance against an owners self induced build problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the reassurance!