mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yeti SB95C XC Possibilities?

I am pretty much a pure XC rider, in fact currently on a HT but thinking I need to save my 54 year old back and body it may be time to switch. My LBS is a big Yeti dealer and I was able to demo one and really liked it, climbed pretty well but going down was so much more stable and I didn't feel like I had a handful the whole time. What are your thoughts on using this bike primarily for XC? Am I getting the full potential or should I look at something more 4" travel? Have any of you raced XC on this bike yet? What were your thoughts, did you ride as good as many of the XC riders? Were you as fast or faster?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'd feel no shame in riding the 95c to it's death only for "XC" ... it'll be fun, super stable at speed, and won't beat you up.

When I "XC tuned" my suspension setup I ended up with the PSI in the fork and shock a bit higher but not radically so, running about 20% sag only I think. I normally run about 30% sag. I found that for buff dirt riding the fork in the middle damped trail mode and the shock similarly worked out well (stock Fox parts).

I'm guessing the base XT level 95c will come in around 27 pounds, convert it to tubeless or go nuts with carbon rims and a few other tweaks and you'd be in the mid 20's weight wise which is quite respectable for any durable MTB.

I've ridden my 95a on truly XC only stuff and been quite happy with it, and that with the fork at long travel (140mm). Leaving it stock at 120 should keep it more appropriate.

I haven't raced on it yet, but that's happening later this month. If I do poorly it's not going to be the fault of the bike, the harder I push mine the happier it feels.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion though, and I live in an area that pretty much doesn't have any buff dirt trails - I have to drive an hour or more to get to buff dirt. When I ride the buff stuff I sometimes add 5 psi to the tires and I ride pretty trail-oriented tires - On-One Chunky Monkey front and Smorgasboard rear - much heavier than the stock Maxxis Ardent/Ikon combo and notably slower rolling.

If I was "serious" about XC racing I'd keep a race-day wheelset with Maxxis Ikon mounted for the lighter tire weight and fast rolling character, but I'll not likely ever be that serious about it.