mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Yeti SB95 Race kit weight?

I am in the market for a FS 29er. I currently ride a Ventana El Padrino which is a 29er HT and want to add a 29er FS. Does anyone know what a Size small frame with the Race build kit(mostly XT) weighs out of the box? I have heard the SB95's are a tad heavy. Weight isn't a killer for me because I am more concerned with how the bike rides than how it weighs but weight does have some impact on my decision making. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

mtbr member
    Right around 29lbs out of the box. just under 31lbs with a dropper post and pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdiers View Post
    Right around 29lbs out of the box. just under 31lbs with a dropper post and pedals.
    That is what I thought. I am not a weight wennie but why do the SB bikes weigh so much? I know the 5.5" travel contributes to it but seems pretty heavy for a Cross Country style bike. Just curious I know that weight has nothing to do with performance but I definitely can feel the difference between a 26 lb and a 31 lb bike.

Chuck

mtbr member
    You would be amazed if you ride one. They climb like they only weigh 25lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You would be amazed if you ride one. They climb like they only weigh 25lbs.
    I'm going to ride one Friday I'll let you know what I find out. I live in Michigan so the climbs aren't long but some are pretty steep. I have heard awesome things about the SB66 from a buddy of mine who lives in Salt Lake City but I love the circus wheels so been waiting for Yeti to jump in the 29er game. I also love my Ventana and am interested in the El Rey as well.

Chuck

mtbr member
    Just sold my SB-66 to get a SB-95. The 66 was my most favorite bike I have ever owned, until I road the 95. The 95 out climbed and out descended the 66 over rocky, technical, and ledgy terrain. 66 definitely is better in big hit and drop conditions. Although I have had the 95 off many 6'+ drops and it did just fine. The 66 just feels more comfortable in the air to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just sold my SB-66 to get a SB-95. The 66 was my most favorite bike I have ever owned, until I road the 95. The 95 out climbed and out descended the 66 over rocky, technical, and ledgy terrain. 66 definitely is better in big hit and drop conditions. Although I have had the 95 off many 6'+ drops and it did just fine. The 66 just feels more comfortable in the air to me.
    I ride in Michigan and do mostly singeltrack riding. I am not into 6' drops and the like. Is the SB95 maybe more bike than I need?

Chuck

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    I ride in Michigan and do mostly singeltrack riding. I am not into 6' drops and the like. Is the SB95 maybe more bike than I need?
    I do think of the '95 as a "6-inch non-freeride bike" equivalent - to me it's going to replace the dearly departed Titus Quasi-Moto that I had for years n years (26er with 5.9" of rear travel and was best matched IMO with a 6" fork, but was burly-over-built to some degree).

But the bike weight is, IMO, in the right place (frame, centered, and low) so I doubt it's a problem for XC-ish use. Tune the shocks closer to 25% than 30% sag and I bet you'll be pretty happy with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I rode both 66 and 95 and since only have room and money for one more bike...I am going 95 and keeping my 575 to do what I would a 66 with....

mtbr member
    Most people that get the 95 will not be doing big drops, but to me it is nice to know that it can handle it. Majority of the owners will be ridding them in typical XC-All Mountain conditions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Most people that get the 95 will not be doing big drops, but to me it is nice to know that it can handle it. Majority of the owners will be ridding them in typical XC-All Mountain conditions.
    Just depends on your definition of "big". I took mine down a jump line yesterday that consisted of doubles with 4-10' gaps and some 5'+ drops. I think what is unique about this bike is that it rides more like a 26" than a traditional 29". It's super easy to manual and control. For me it fits the role of AM-light FR which is exactly where I want it.

Conversely, I think it's probably overkill for XC.

mtbr member
    my definition of "big" would be 8'+ drops and 10-20' gaps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

yeti sb 95

got my SB 95 a week ago and have done a couple of xc rides. the bike is incredibly agile! I have an ASR 5 and this bike is as quick and responsive as the 26 inch bike,tight switchbacks are nothing to this bike!. It rolls if not glides over the rough stuff (roots, rock gardens, through creek beds), BUT, I do notice the weight on the climb...pedal bob is non-existent with the rp23 and switch and the front end is point, shoot, hit...nothing negative I could say about its handling...mine is weighing in at 30.5 lbs and that seems too heavy at this point, me: not a weight weenie, but...so i'll look at going tubeless and finding the lightest, strongest tubeless rims that will hold up for trail/am riding. would like to get her down to 28 lbs. I would say this bike is going to excel in the trail category...my Big Top 29er will absolutely dust the 95 in xc situations...but I will find out what the bike is really all about when I take it up to the rocky, techy stuff this weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you're shopping for a bike in this category (i.e., not an xc race bike), weight shouldn't be your primary concern. This bike is heavy because it's the stiffest frame (laterally and torsionally) you've ever ridden, 29er or otherwise.

My typical "after work" ride has over 3k feet of climbing. My other (geared) bike is a 25 lb ibis mojo carbon. I love long climbs (I ride a lot of single speed), and the SB 95 climbs technical trails better than the mojo (bigger wheels), and I can honestly say I don't feel a difference between the two bikes weight-wise.

What I do notice is better cornering (due to significantly less flex than the ibis), better tracking due to the stiffness, and a much better "feel" of what the bike is doing in the terrain. The ibis feels wooden by contrast (still a great bike though). In short, the SB-95 is awesome as long as you're not toeing up for a short distance xc race.
    Keith in Corvallis

Yeti SB-95 Race
    Yeti Big Top Race
    Niner SIR 9 SS
    Foundry Auger
    Vulture SS
    GT GTR Carbon Expert