Bikes!

Yeti SB95 mud clearance?

Hi

i'm considering buying a SB95 but over in the UK we see more than our fair share of mud unfortunately so I'm a little bit worried about clearance with wide trail tyres such as 2.25 Nobby Nics. Just wondered if anyone has any demonstrative pictures of the rear ends mud clearance with wider tyres on please or if you have any experiences of really thick mud on the bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The more significant issue is the rear tire rubbing the seat tube on full compression with larger tires. Hopefully the SB95c doesn't have that problem.

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti View Post
    The more significant issue is the rear tire rubbing the seat tube on full compression with larger tires. Hopefully the SB95c doesn't have that problem.
    Yes so I see from the Hans Dampf thread, I've been having the same problem on my Orange Gyro too.

Spring! Spring! Spring!

Re: Yeti SB95 mud clearance?

I live in NE Pennsylvania in the USA, we get a fair share if wet conditions.

The 2.25" sized rear tire should be fine, I have run a number and rt hey were roomy enough.

I currently have a 2.35" Nobby Nic on the rear wheel and think it should be OK for all but clay/gloopy mud. I think the smaller tire would add significantly to free space.

The NN has a more narrow profile than GH he Hans Damp, BTW. I would NOT run the HD except in reliably dry conditions.

( yes I as m riding an sb95 )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I live in NE Pennsylvania in the USA, we get a fair share if wet conditions.

The 2.25" sized rear tire should be fine, I have run a number and rt hey were roomy enough.

I currently have a 2.35" Nobby Nic on the rear wheel and think it should be OK for all but clay/gloopy mud. I think the smaller tire would add significantly to free spUace.

The NN has a more narrow profile than GH he Hans Damp, BTW. I would NOT run the HD except in reliably dry conditions.

( yes I as m riding an sb95 )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks that's really helpful. I think the NoNi makes a better rear tyre anyway for most trail type riding so it's a trade off I'm happy enough to make.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    ... captains logs, supplemental ...

pics with 2.35" Nobby Nic EVO/TR/Snakeskin at about 30 psi ... to give you a "view" on how much room is there ... the sidewall-2-chainstay room is harder to photo, but is about the same as the outermost tread of the tire to the chainstay yoke, maybe a little more.

My front-d is a SRAM X0, if that makes a difference to you. It's definitely the closest point of the "frame" to the tire. I often hear leaves caught there, and then they break away by themselves most of the time.

cheers

Yeti SB95 mud clearance?-p3310005.jpg

Yeti SB95 mud clearance?-p3310008.jpg

Yeti SB95 mud clearance?-p3310012.jpg

Bikes!
    ... captains logs, supplemental ...

pics with 2.35" Nobby Nic EVO/TR/Snakeskin at about 30 psi ... to give you a "view" on how much room is there ... the sidewall-2-chainstay room is harder to photo, but is about the same as the outermost tread of the tire to the chainstay yoke, maybe a little more.

My front-d is a SRAM X0, if that makes a difference to you. It's definitely the closest point of the "frame" to the tire. I often hear leaves caught there, and then they break away by themselves most of the time.

cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3310005.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	786362

Name:	P3310008.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	786363

Name:	P3310012.JPG 
Views:	477 
Size:	269.8 KB 
ID:	786364
    Thanks so much for that it's a great help

I've test ridden a few bikes lately and the SB95 looks to be like the one I'm going to go for next, probably wait for the carbon though with the hope of a little more clearance.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    ... probably wait for the carbon though with the hope of a little more clearance.
    Nice budget. ;^)

I wouldn't mind having the carbon frame either, not sure my wife would agree about the sur-charge required to get it though.

I really how the bike rides with the phatter rear tire, we'll see how "gloopy" this spring gets for me though.

There just is not a bunch of room there. Not a whole lot less than the fork bridge, but not a lot.

FWIW, I had a Geax Sturdy 2.3 on the bike last fall and it was noticeably smaller than the Nic.

Of course, The Sturdy really *hated* wet wood (roots, bridges, etc.) so I'd never run it wet season again without doing some custom cutting on the knobs, but *whatever*.

Bikes!
    Nice budget. ;^)

I wouldn't mind having the carbon frame either, not sure my wife would agree about the sur-charge required to get it though.

I really how the bike rides with the phatter rear tire, we'll see how "gloopy" this spring gets for me though.

There just is not a bunch of room there. Not a whole lot less than the fork bridge, but not a lot.

FWIW, I had a Geax Sturdy 2.3 on the bike last fall and it was noticeably smaller than the Nic.

Of course, The Sturdy really *hated* wet wood (roots, bridges, etc.) so I'd never run it wet season again without doing some custom cutting on the knobs, but *whatever*.
    I've been running the HD's on my Orange Gyro for a few gloopy weeks, the Gyro suffers from the exact same problems as the 95 though with tyre interference on the seat tube etc so I took the rear tyre off over the weekend and put a Conti Mountain King II back on there, the bike feels supercharged now! LOL

Yeah my wife is trying her best to talk me out of the carbon "what will you feel like the first time you drop it on a rock or it falls over in the garage?!" she has a point as well as a frugal side!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    "experienced" is what it will feel like when the first dings happen.

If you notice them.

properly built carbon frames are waaaay durable.

Bikes!
    "experienced" is what it will feel like when the first dings happen.

If you notice them.

properly built carbon frames are waaaay durable.
    Then that will be my reply! Lol