Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Yeti sb66 problems?

Just wondering if anybody's had any problems so far with the sb66?

I met a guy who says you can't run anything 2.35 tire size or larger on the rear because it'll hit the seat tube on compression? He showed me how the rear tire wore off all the paint on the seat tube.

Anybody had this issue or any other?....before I pull the gun and get one?

Cheers

mtbr member
    there were "reported" issues and even a thread about rear tire rubbing the seat tube but the poster and the "others" having a similar experience ignored requests for photos. We did see however photos showing a clear clearence and it was checked also with my Ardent 2.25 leaving 8mm of space at full travel.
    There was another report about a failing switch that did not attach any images.........
    I can report that the frame tubes were not designed to shed mud and now my bike is sprinkled with some dry mud.
    Seriously, there may be issues especially on the first year of production, but as far as I know nothing significant as of now. If there will be issues, Yeti will take care of us.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Cool. I'm probably gonna get the bike anyway. Does anybody know if there are any changes for the 2012 model?

Well there may be no photos out there but I can guarantee that i've seen it. The paint was totally gone on the seat tube down to the metal where the tire rubbed. That was the only thing I was concerned about on whether it was a big problem. I run 2.35 tires and I'd hate it if tire rubbed caused me to be thrown off of the bike on full compression causing rear wheel to lock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    Cool. I'm probably gonna get the bike anyway. Does anybody know if there are any changes for the 2012 model?

Well there may be no photos out there but I can guarantee that i've seen it. The paint was totally gone on the seat tube down to the metal where the tire rubbed. That was the only thing I was concerned about on whether it was a big problem. I run 2.35 tires and I'd hate it if tire rubbed caused me to be thrown off of the bike on full compression causing rear wheel to lock.
    Maybe for very high profile tire?. Or/and maybe the rim can make some difference.
    I was aware of this "issue" when I pulled the trigger and asked my LBS to check.
    As said, on a medium frame with 2.25 Ardents and XT trail (21mm rim) wheels, I had 8mm of clearence.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Between 2011 and 2012 they are offering just different builds. Seems like the frames are the same but just different builds on offer.

mtbr member
    Does anybody know if there are any changes for the 2012 model?
    The SB66 is technically a 2012 model, so no changes to the frame. There are, as mentioned, some changes to the build kits. No problems with mine. I've had it for a couple of months now and been able to ride it a ton. I'm running a 2.2 in the back and it has loads of clearance. The tricky thing about tires is the variation in size from brand to brand -some brands 2.35 will be as big as another brands 2.5, so making a general statement regarding what tire size will fit usually isn't accurate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Myself and others have reported issues with seat tube burs.

SB66 Seat-tube burs

Also, I'm running 142 in the rear, but when it was 135 I had some issues taking the wheel on and off. The clearance on the derailleur side was too tight.

Early models shipped with bad bearings and I believe yeti has replaced them all.

Regarding the rubbing; I'm running a 2.35 ust nevegal on the back with no rubbing issues.

D93
    banned
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchct View Post
    Myself and others have reported issues with seat tube burs.

SB66 Seat-tube burs

Also, I'm running 142 in the rear, but when it was 135 I had some issues taking the wheel on and off. The clearance on the derailleur side was too tight.

Early models shipped with bad bearings and I believe yeti has replaced them all.

Regarding the rubbing; I'm running a 2.35 ust nevegal on the back with no rubbing issues.
    My 575 rear wheel was really tight as well with the 135mm chips. Needed some filing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchct View Post
    Take note here: a 2.35 Nevegal is huge, as big as other tire manufacturers 2.5's. If this tire doesn't cause a problem then there is absolutely no reason for complaining about clearance.

mtbr member
    Just wondering if anybody's had any problems so far with the sb66?

I met a guy who says you can't run anything 2.35 tire size or larger on the rear because it'll hit the seat tube on compression? He showed me how the rear tire wore off all the paint on the seat tube.

Anybody had this issue or any other?....before I pull the gun and get one?

Cheers
    The only confirmed issue on the SB by Yeti and some others that I am aware of is that 300 frames made it out of production in the past year with mis-specced bearings (single row instead of dual row bearings). Yeti and dealers are fully aware of this and will replace bearings with the proper ones as needed, no questions asked. I had mine replaced before buying from LBS just in case, since my previous bike had numerous of premature pivot issues and didn't want to have to worry about anything with the new frame.

I have been hammering the SB for two months straight now with about 4 rides/wk on anything from run of the mill XC/trail riding to some DH/lite FR with not any problems whatsoever running 30% sag. Thought I had some seat tube rub at first, since I noticed some scuffing initially. Put a piece of electrical tape over it and haven't notice any scuffing since. I have never noticed any harsh bottom-out or tire rub despite using all of my travel on any given ride, so I don't sweat it.

An absolutely fantastic bike and by far the best trail/AM bike I have owned to date You shouldn't be dissappointed at all and can purchase with confidence cause Yeti is a pretty sweet company.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    The only confirmed issue on the SB by Yeti and some others that I am aware of is that 300 frames made it out of production in the past year with mis-specced bearings (single row instead of dual row bearings). Yeti and dealers are fully aware of this and will replace bearings with the proper ones as needed, no questions asked. I had mine replaced before buying from LBS just in case, since my previous bike had numerous of premature pivot issues and didn't want to have to worry about anything with the new frame.

I have been hammering the SB for two months straight now with about 4 rides/wk on anything from run of the mill XC/trail riding to some DH/lite FR with not any problems whatsoever running 30% sag. Thought I had some seat tube rub at first, since I noticed some scuffing initially. Put a piece of electrical tape over it and haven't notice any scuffing since. I have never noticed any harsh bottom-out or tire rub despite using all of my travel on any given ride, so I don't sweat it.

An absolutely fantastic bike and by far the best trail/AM bike I have owned to date You shouldn't be dissappointed at all and can purchase with confidence cause Yeti is a pretty sweet company.
    Do you know the part numbers of this batch?. Can you get them from Yeti?.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty View Post
    Don't know, I'm sorry. I just had a guy at LBS check to see what was in there before I bought the frame and he confirmed the mis-specced single row bearings, so they got the proper dual row ones for me and installed no questions asked. I don't how many people in total had problems with the single rows falling apart. I know "Penny" was one as confirmed with pics. I guess a bit of frames rolling around with the single rows out there with no probs to date. I just wanted the added security since I ride year-round, been on bushings for past 6yrs, hard on bikes and live in rain country (NW Oregon) that can wreak havoc on pivot/bearings, etc. I would just run what you got until they wear, then replace as needed. If the single rows are in there, then get the "right" ones from Yeti.
    Ride On!

Pushing 60
    Jul 2010

SB-66 Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty View Post
    I have an XL SB-66 that needed the bearing fix. Yeti provided a one-page .pdf describing the bearing ID and replacement to a double-row version to its dealers, who forwarded to me. These are standard bearings and I was able to find the spec. sheets easily -- the correct bearing has a much higher static load rating so you really should make sure it is right.

About a week so after receiving my frame, I took apart the Switch assembly (very nice and serviceable design), confirmed the bad bearing number, 63802VRS, requested replacement, 3802VRD, from my Internet "LBS," and installed. After about 400 miles of eastern USA single-track so far (I am 6'3" and about 225# loaded), my SB-66 continues to be quiet, smooth, climbs like crazy, and for my size is the most comfortable bike I ever rode.

There are absolutely no rubbing of tires or cable housings, creaks, squeaks or even rock chips in the paint. I am certain that this is the last mountain bike frame I will own...

No worries -- buy the bike, check your bearing numbers and replace if needed, and don't look back!

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN

mtbr member
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Don't know, I'm sorry. I just had a guy at LBS check to see what was in there before I bought the frame and he confirmed the mis-specced single row bearings, so they got the proper dual row ones for me and installed no questions asked. I don't how many people in total had problems with the single rows falling apart. I know "Penny" was one as confirmed with pics. I guess a bit of frames rolling around with the single rows out there with no probs to date. I just wanted the added security since I ride year-round, been on bushings for past 6yrs, hard on bikes and live in rain country (NW Oregon) that can wreak havoc on pivot/bearings, etc. I would just run what you got until they wear, then replace as needed. If the single rows are in there, then get the "right" ones from Yeti.
    My single rows seized, and most others were notchy. Getting new ones sent my way now...
    The swingarm while on bike gave me no indication of bad bearinngs as it cycled thru its travel ok and showed no lateral movement. Not until disassembly did I find issues.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kstovesand View Post
    I have an XL SB-66 that needed the bearing fix. Yeti provided a one-page .pdf describing the bearing ID and replacement to a double-row version to its dealers, who forwarded to me. These are standard bearings and I was able to find the spec. sheets easily -- the correct bearing has a much higher static load rating so you really should make sure it is right.

About a week so after receiving my frame, I took apart the Switch assembly (very nice and serviceable design), confirmed the bad bearing number, 63802VRS, requested replacement, 3802VRD, from my Internet "LBS," and installed. After about 400 miles of eastern USA single-track so far (I am 6'3" and about 225# loaded), my SB-66 continues to be quiet, smooth, climbs like crazy, and for my size is the most comfortable bike I ever rode.

There are absolutely no rubbing of tires or cable housings, creaks, squeaks or even rock chips in the paint. I am certain that this is the last mountain bike frame I will own...

No worries -- buy the bike, check your bearing numbers and replace if needed, and don't look back!

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN
    Hey kstovesand, thanks for sharing the bearing part numbers. I will be taking apart mine to check it out. Been doing enduro riding on mine for 3 months and the pivots have started to develop squeeky sounds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have had my rear tire hit my seat tube and my LBS talked to yeti about it. They said they have had a few reports of it happening. Something to do with tolerances at the extremes. They were trying to figure out the problem.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hey guys,
    First time, just saying hi. Also, I'm planning on picking up the SB66 sometime in the next few months..anyone know if they offer an industry discount and if so, how much?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdubb View Post
    I have had my rear tire hit my seat tube and my LBS talked to yeti about it. They said they have had a few reports of it happening. Something to do with tolerances at the extremes. They were trying to figure out the problem.
    I personally think this is caused by using a shock with no HSC (high speed compression) and/or bottom out control. I actually like the new RP23 on this bike, but think one has to use the Fox spacer reducers at the very least if doing any hits (especially squared edged or hit anything to flat at all). So far all is good with mine, but noticed some wiggle in the shock eyelet bushing already at only two months and I sometimes blast through all the travel ("O" ring off of shock) on hits at times.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Just cracked my yeti sb 66 in four places!!

Hi guys,
    Interesting to know how many many more people are in my situation??
    I bought a brand new SB-66 3 weeks ago and have cracked it in four places, The thing must be made of cheese!! One big crack around a weld on the swing arm, and three cracks on the rocker, located where the shock would mount on and also in the bearing seat.
    I have sent the bike back to the shop and am now waiting to hear what yeti have to say.

Its also worth me say that a friend of mine has also cracked his swing arm twice, having it replaced both times and also his rocker once as well. When he sent his back the first time he was told it wasnt an issue, apparently only four in the country had ever been sent back. I find that hard to believe as mine cracked within three weeks of owning it.

I must also say that other than the fact that i broke the bike so easily, It was an amazing machine to ride, best bike i've ever ridden but I just cant believe It broke so easily!!

If anyone else has had any problems like this it would be cool to hear what yeti had to say? I have a feeling they may blame it on a faulty batch but I wont believe it lol..

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    jgusta: I had rear shock-eye bushing wear to "wiggle" in less than two weeks on my '95, second one lasted three weeks, I changed to the 5-piece pin+sleeve Fox hardware (vs 2-piece) and have been happy for more than a month. The new polymer-based bushing-pin-etc mounting hardware may or may not be longer lasting that that but I don't have any to try. No issues from the front shock-eye bushing.

mtbr member
    @CM59: Link to detailed pictures or it didn't happen. Especially on your first post dude.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclemary1959 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Interesting to know how many many more people are in my situation??
    I bought a brand new SB-66 3 weeks ago and have cracked it in four places, The thing must be made of cheese!! One big crack around a weld on the swing arm, and three cracks on the rocker, located where the shock would mount on and also in the bearing seat.
    I have sent the bike back to the shop and am now waiting to hear what yeti have to say.

Its also worth me say that a friend of mine has also cracked his swing arm twice, having it replaced both times and also his rocker once as well. When he sent his back the first time he was told it wasnt an issue, apparently only four in the country had ever been sent back. I find that hard to believe as mine cracked within three weeks of owning it.

I must also say that other than the fact that i broke the bike so easily, It was an amazing machine to ride, best bike i've ever ridden but I just cant believe It broke so easily!!

If anyone else has had any problems like this it would be cool to hear what yeti had to say? I have a feeling they may blame it on a faulty batch but I wont believe it lol..
    Same issues here with busted chainstay within 6 months of buying frame and then broken shock/frame upper link as stated above, 1.5 months later that just happend over a week ago. Both times Yeti got replacement parts to me within a week's time. It was just very untimely when and where I had the breaks (one while pre-riding an Enduro course the day before an out of town Enduro race (would of been my first Enduro) and other while on mtb singletrack vacation on top of hill just yards into the descent (Mt. bike OR). Both cases, Yeti and LBS made it sound like I was the only dude that this has occured to, which left me a little puzzled, cause I knew of at least one other guy in which this happened as well.

The SB66 is a sweet trail/AM riding machine and Yeti took care of me. All that should matter in the end, but feel like Yeti are trying to downplay the occurance like previous owned bike co. did (Banshee) in saying that only less than 0.1% of cases have reported with frame/pivot failures and that just wasn't the case as evident on the Banshee board with Rune/Spitfire pivot/frame failures/issues and experiences I had with two of those frames as well. I understand this can tarnish sales/reputation of said frame/company, but can definitely be used to fix the problem as other companies such as RockShox often do with their new products (ei; 2-step, Reverbs) by openly disclosing the issues and do whatever possible to get the customer the updated/fixed part and remedy the issue. To me that is what makes them an awesome company, unlike cough, cough (Fox). Tranparency goes a long ways, just sayin'.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm on my 3rd swingarm if that makes a difference. The first 2 failed in the same exact spot. I will say that Yeti has been very helpful in all each case. However that doesn't mean that I won't be concerned about it each time I ride the bike. Hopefully the third time is a charm.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've had to replace 2 rear shock bushings. I've got a bag full so its not a massive issue
    but for many it will be. My old Spec Enduro used to eat bushings also but nowhere
    near this rate (hence my bag of bushings.. identical btw). My 575 08 has never developed play ever - and i've never had to repace them - same bushings also.

Only other issue is it does require significant maintenace and you'll need a torque wrench
    if your sensible.

I think the paint quality is poor as its very very soft - i suspect an issue at the cure stage?
    Final build was also poor - when you get your bike take it to bits and check everything
    lightly grease the pivot pins (they are probaly are bone dry - mine were) and torque up the
    bolts properly... none of mine were anywhere near the correct torque out of the box - both well
    under and scary torque levels over. Kind of hypocritical when bike manufactures bang on about the
    imporance of using a torque wrench.... still when you buy a frame you should really be doing
    the torques yourself and check periodically anyway.

Still its a great bike to ride and has no real show stoppers if you dont mind replacing bushings
    periodically or upgrading them. Also if you ride rough/rocky terrain id invest in some copter tape
    yet I'd shudder at the thought of a Carbon SB66 or any carbon bike for that matter on my local routes.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
    I've had to replace 2 rear shock bushings. I've got a bag full so its not a massive issue
    Still using the 2-piece alu hardware?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast