Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 1713

Thread: Yeti SB4.5C

  1. #1651
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3
    2015, one year pre boost model - 120mm travel F & R.
    I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but here is OZ the Trek is a 5K AUD retail bike.....ouch...I am 167 and ride a 17.5in (M) in Trek, I rode a Med 4.5 with a 125 dropper and it just fits better. The Geo is so much better and I feel a lot more confident on the Yeti. I've only been riding seriously for 1.5 years but this things takes your riding to a new level IMO.
    I rode with a mate who has the 2016 Trek Ex9 model - snot green (130mm F / 120mm R), we are normally very close to each others times on the same trail but I blew him away. The Yeti just tracks better, is more efficient and just handles the trail better. I'm in love, what a machine.

  2. #1652
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    171
    I just serviced my Switch Infinity for the first time. It sure took a lot of pumps with the grease gun to see grease oozing out, but it worked and fixed the squeaky pivot I was experiencing. Seems like 250 miles is a good service interval. That included one super caky muddy nasty ride that took a lot of washing to get clean.

  3. #1653
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LizInTheSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringfork View Post
    I just serviced my Switch Infinity for the first time. It sure took a lot of pumps with the grease gun to see grease oozing out, but it worked and fixed the squeaky pivot I was experiencing. Seems like 250 miles is a good service interval. That included one super caky muddy nasty ride that took a lot of washing to get clean.
    Everytime I go to clean my bike there seems to be some grease that has oozed out around the infinity shocks? The cylinders in there? Not sure what they are called. I'm just wiping it away since dust and dirt get in the space where the switch infinity is. Is that okay? Mine isn't do for service as I've only put 40miles on it and the guy at the shop in atlanta (shawn from fresh bikes - he worked at yeti out in colorado before opening up the store) said that less is more for the grease as it does attract more dirt and grime.

  4. #1654
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by LizInTheSun View Post
    Everytime I go to clean my bike there seems to be some grease that has oozed out around the infinity shocks? The cylinders in there? Not sure what they are called. I'm just wiping it away since dust and dirt get in the space where the switch infinity is. Is that okay? Mine isn't do for service as I've only put 40miles on it and the guy at the shop in atlanta (shawn from fresh bikes - he worked at yeti out in colorado before opening up the store) said that less is more for the grease as it does attract more dirt and grime.
    That is normal. Definitely a good idea to keep it clean. I'm pretty sure my bike needed it because it seemed to take a lot before it oozed out, which I promptly cleaned off with a q-tip. Agreed there is no need to over do it. Below is the Fox service interval suggestion. I wash my bike after nearly every ride, including cleaning an lubing the chain. I had approximately 30 hours on the bike before re-greasing.

    Dry/Dusty Conditions 75-100 hours
    Excessive Mud, Dust, or Frequent Washing 25-50 hours
    Minimum Service Interval* 10-15 hours

  5. #1655
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    187
    Haven't serviced my Switch Infinity on my SB6 yet, it has still grease left.. Got it end of last summer..

  6. #1656
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by DB-Photo View Post
    Haven't serviced my Switch Infinity on my SB6 yet, it has still grease left.. Got it end of last summer..
    I put about 1,000 miles on mine and serviced it once at around 750 miles (~75hrs). I keep it clean and don't "wash" my bike.

  7. #1657
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11

    NBD! (Yesterday)

    Just joined the tribe and could not be happier! 2016 SB4.5c. You guys here on the forum were a big part in helping me decide on a YETI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB4.5C-img_0689.jpg  


  8. #1658
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonunlimited View Post
    Just joined the tribe and could not be happier! 2016 SB4.5c. You guys here on the forum were a big part in helping me decide on a YETI
    Congrats Brudah and welcome. Your new bike is a beauty and feel free to reach out for anything you may need or questions you may have.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

  9. #1659
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    187
    Welcome to the Tribe! :-)

    Enjoy your 4.5c!

    I got mine on saturday.. and its a rocket! Still can't believe how fast it is! :-)

  10. #1660
    ban
    ban is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,429
    I am still waiting for mine; 4.5 turq 17 with Eagle X01...it's supposed to arrive this week but as I live in Spain and it has to clear customs and things I'm not very confident it will get on time for the weekend... the wait is killing me!!!

  11. #1661
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Quick question, what mm stem are you using? I've got a 40mm on mine and the turning is a little squirmy. Could be the fact that I'm coming from a 26" trek ex9 with a 70mm stem on it. Whatcha think?

  12. #1662
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    14
    I was posting a month or so asking questions. I ended up finally pulling the trigger on a custom build through CC with the AJ discount I still dropped over $4300 which I'm having a hard time accepting.
    The bike rides awesome, everything ppl on here are saying is true. I can climb things I never climbed before. Traction during a standing climb is phenomenal. Fast rocky downhills, steep rooty swichback climbs, nasty technical sections, rolling singletrack. I fly through it all. This is the perfect bike for southeast US. I've been riding it for a few weeks and I'm more impressed after every ride.
    I ended up getting the fox transer dropper for free, thanks CC!
    16 Yeti 4.5
    I9 torch hubs and 24 trail wheels, only 1600g and the 3 deg engagement works wonders in the techy stuff
    xtr shifters
    xt derailer
    guide rs brakes
    Im 5'7 on a M with a 60mm stem. I like the fit. 125mm dropper, I think 150 would have fit. The rear shock felt perfect from day one, I leave it open, its been plug and play for me. I'm still trying to dial in the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB4.5C-20170313_114742.jpg  


  13. #1663
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,861
    I'm going to use a 65mm stem. Maybe I'm not used to it yet but stems in the 40mm range tend to make the steering not to my liking at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonunlimited View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Quick question, what mm stem are you using? I've got a 40mm on mine and the turning is a little squirmy. Could be the fact that I'm coming from a 26" trek ex9 with a 70mm stem on it. Whatcha think?

  14. #1664
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonunlimited View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Quick question, what mm stem are you using? I've got a 40mm on mine and the turning is a little squirmy. Could be the fact that I'm coming from a 26" trek ex9 with a 70mm stem on it. Whatcha think?
    What bar width are you running ? maybe a 780mm or wider will calm it down a bit and give you that wide arm position which helps with confidence.

    I run 740mm bars on my ARC, ASRc, SB4.5 and SB6 Trail light build
    I run 780mm bars on my SB5.5 and SB6 Shock and Awe, and Devinci Troy Colombian Build
    I run 800mm bars on my Giant Glory DH bike
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

  15. #1665
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,259
    Hasue, Congrats on the new bike and I'm so happy your loving your new SB4.5 as it's a fantastic and capable bike and will supply you with endless smiles.

    Don't sweat the money spent my friend as I understand it's hard to justify that kind of money but if you take each ride out on the bike as a great moment of happiness in your life then it would be worth it to spend 10 times more than that. Just enjoy being out in nature and breathing fresh air and forget about all the BS for the time your riding....You deserve it !!!

    BTW, your bike looks Badass !!! Welcome to the Tribe
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

  16. #1666
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    187
    Here is my 4.5c :-)

    Got it as a frame + shock only and build it completely custom. Swapped some parts from my old bike over..
    It's a large frame and it weighs about 12.4kg with pedals.

    I just LOVE! the Yeti green! Plus those colored parts.. it looks very flashy.. but thats what i was aiming for. Also didn't look for the "lightest" build possible.

    The bike is very very fast and rides different than my 6c. Amazed how capable it is! Will put some meatier tires on and see what it can really do :-)
    Love it so far

    Sorry for the quality, but the upload here compressed the picture quite a bit..

    Yeti SB4.5C-img_0548-1-.jpg

  17. #1667
    DCI
    DCI is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    23
    Since is St Patty's day...here is my Green 4.5C, I love this bike!
    XX1 Shifter, Derailleur and Cassette
    XTR Brakes
    LB 34 Carbon hoops with Dt350s
    Next SL carbon Bars and Cranks
    26lbs on the nose with pedals!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB4.5C-img_8679.jpg  


  18. #1668
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    I'm going to use a 65mm stem. Maybe I'm not used to it yet but stems in the 40mm range tend to make the steering not to my liking at all.
    Yeah downhills were no problem with the short stem but steep technical uphills were tough. Felt like I couldn't keep the bike on the line I wanted and the front wheel kept popping up. Maybe just need some more time on it to get used to it...

  19. #1669
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    50
    Happy St. Patrick's Day out there. Great day for a ride - first long haul on the 4.5 - did 44klm this morning!

    Yeti SB4.5C-img_0850.jpg

  20. #1670
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LizInTheSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    48
    Anyone try climbing their yeti with the dps setting on the shock set to medium vs leaving it open? You would think that putting it into medium would make you more efficient pedalling uphill. Do you think leaving it open and letting the yeti infinity do its thing is just as comparable?

    I had a local xc race today (placed 3rd &#128512 and while I was so fast down hill, I felt so slow uphill but I made the last minute decision to throw the fox dps on the fork and back shock into medium since it wasn't a very rough trail. I'm still trying to get my suspension dialed in. Thanks ahead for any thoughts!

  21. #1671
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by LizInTheSun View Post
    Anyone try climbing their yeti with the dps setting on the shock set to medium vs leaving it open? You would think that putting it into medium would make you more efficient pedalling uphill. Do you think leaving it open and letting the yeti infinity do its thing is just as comparable?

    I had a local xc race today (placed 3rd &#128512 and while I was so fast down hill, I felt so slow uphill but I made the last minute decision to throw the fox dps on the fork and back shock into medium since it wasn't a very rough trail. I'm still trying to get my suspension dialed in. Thanks ahead for any thoughts!
    I'd honestly leave it in open mode because you'll benefit from having better traction and letting the suspension absorb all the unique trail makeup. Once you get that DPS dialed it will be really efficient with a firm pedaling platform.

    Of course there are unique circumstances that you'd use the Trail/Med setting for fire road or double track.

    Now I know if the race is purely XC then maybe your at a disadvantage against hardtails and 100mm front and rear steep HTA bikes but if it's more rowdy or Enduro style you'll destroy them

  22. #1672
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,259
    In a race like the BC Bike race the SB4.5 would be insanely good as that's kinda what I mean by adapting to the style of course.

  23. #1673
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LizInTheSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    In a race like the BC Bike race the SB4.5 would be insanely good as that's kinda what I mean by adapting to the style of course.
    I'm know it's capable, it's just getting it figured out for myself. After today I will probable just leave it open, I rode trails last week with more technical climbing and felt like it did better in the open setting. I should have left it open today as it may have helped mold to the trails like you said with it being wet and muddy today. Thanks

  24. #1674
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,386
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    In a race like the BC Bike race the SB4.5 would be insanely good as that's kinda what I mean by adapting to the style of course.
    That would be heavily dependent on the build. By all accounts, 120mm is plenty up front for BCBR. Running a 140mm Pike and anything resembling a stock Yeti build is going to be a lot of bike to haul up and down them hills.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  25. #1675
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Question about the RF Next SL crankset install on the 4.5 - this is my first press fit BB frame-up build and curious about spacers.

    Am I supposed to run a small spacer on the drive side, or run the crank all the way in and use the preload adjuster to take up the slack? I ran a spacer on my 95 (but thats apples to oranges); this whole press fit thing is new to me.

    I'm sure there are a ton of you running the NextSL on the 4.5 - curious what your install setup is. Thanks.
    --------------------------
    Rokworth.com
    MTB Reviews & Tests - for the love of writing and riding

  26. #1676
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by LizInTheSun View Post
    I'm know it's capable, it's just getting it figured out for myself. After today I will probable just leave it open, I rode trails last week with more technical climbing and felt like it did better in the open setting. I should have left it open today as it may have helped mold to the trails like you said with it being wet and muddy today. Thanks
    Thats been my experience. Climbs have gotten a little faster on the 4.5 and I'm leaving it open.

  27. #1677
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    79
    I have the shock with the trail tune on my 4.5 and mostly use the middle position when climbing technical trails, after some testing. Last summer i had fork at 130mm and the Yeti was "flying" uphill.


    Might not be interesting, but for me this shows how incredible good climber the Yeti is.
    Here are som Strava times from a 1,5km uphill segment, all bikes was tested with Maxxis Ardent Race.
    7:35 - Niner AIR9RDO
    7:33 - Specialized Epic S-Works 29
    7:16 - Yeti SB4.5c

  28. #1678
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    That would be heavily dependent on the build. By all accounts, 120mm is plenty up front for BCBR. Running a 140mm Pike and anything resembling a stock Yeti build is going to be a lot of bike to haul up and down them hills.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    This is also subjective. A good range of travel for BCBR will be that 120-140 front/110-130 rear with a lot of it dependent on ability as well. Some courses will greatly benefit from the extra travel, like all of the upper network of Cumberland and Mt. Seymour - others not as much like Powell River. And a riders ability to go at speed with a 120/110 setup on some of the more technical decent trails will play a part. 4.5C will be just great for BCBR for someone who wants to go out and have fun, go quickly, but is not worried about placing with the 'elite' level riders.

    But I guess if you are skilled enough you think you will place very well on the stage race you probably already have a XC Race bike geared to this.

  29. #1679
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    99
    St Patty's day ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB4.5C-yeti.jpg  


  30. #1680
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    I'm up here in Northern California and looking into some enduro races. I have no problem flying down trails but I don't want to damage the nice expensive bike I just bought. Would this bike be acceptable for this kind of race? Thanks

  31. #1681
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonunlimited View Post
    I'm up here in Northern California and looking into some enduro races. I have no problem flying down trails but I don't want to damage the nice expensive bike I just bought. Would this bike be acceptable for this kind of race? Thanks
    Check out Nate Hills' videos, he does some pretty brutal riding onboard his Sb4.5c
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w6qB2KHy1rg

  32. #1682
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shepherd Wong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Question about the RF Next SL crankset install on the 4.5 - this is my first press fit BB frame-up build and curious about spacers.

    Am I supposed to run a small spacer on the drive side, or run the crank all the way in and use the preload adjuster to take up the slack? I ran a spacer on my 95 (but thats apples to oranges); this whole press fit thing is new to me.

    I'm sure there are a ton of you running the NextSL on the 4.5 - curious what your install setup is. Thanks.
    I am running no spacer on mine.

  33. #1683
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    61
    Yeti SB4.5C-yeti.jpg
    Finally got my 4.5 Friday from BC. I want to say how great BC (Connor) was dealing with. I would also like to thank Skinny and Rondre for their input and respect their opinions.
    2016 Large 4.5c
    2017 Fox 140 fork
    Fox shock
    RF Next handle bar 760 mm
    Nox Teo
    Specialized slaughter R & butcher F
    RF Next SL cranks 175
    XTR rear der
    XTR shifters
    XT brakes
    Fox dropper posts 150 mm
    RF 50 mm stem

    26.5 lbs +/-
    I have been sick for about 5 weeks, so definitely not in bike shape, but this bike climbed great, still dialing in suspension.

  34. #1684
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LizInTheSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    48
    I just now realized reading up on my sb4.5 suspension that the sb4.5 has a trail tune shock and a xc shock available.... I purchased my bike March 4th and the dealer in atlanta never mentioned this to me...even though he was well aware I was looking for a xc oriented bike as I was considering the ASR. My sb4.5's back shock says Tune: c9xs and has the larger volume air sleeve which online says is the trail tune shock. I primarily do xc riding and travel to rougher trail/enduro type trails as often as I can. Is this worth going through the trouble to see if yeti or the dealer will swap them for me?

  35. #1685
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by LizInTheSun View Post
    I just now realized reading up on my sb4.5 suspension that the sb4.5 has a trail tune shock and a xc shock available.... I purchased my bike March 4th and the dealer in atlanta never mentioned this to me...even though he was well aware I was looking for a xc oriented bike as I was considering the ASR. My sb4.5's back shock says Tune: c9xs and has the larger volume air sleeve which online says is the trail tune shock. I primarily do xc riding and travel to rougher trail/enduro type trails as often as I can. Is this worth going through the trouble to see if yeti or the dealer will swap them for me?
    I would keep the trail tune version as it's much preferred over the XC tune Evol. Just do what you did during your race and flip the lever to Trail mode when you know you'll have longer pedal section and then flip open on and descents or rocky and rough sections. You'll get used to finding the perfect moment to flip the lever as to not lose time.

    The XC tune was on the 4.5 when I demoed 2 months after the bike was released and it was really firm and slightly jarring during rough sections. When I bought my frame the trail tune had been released for a few months and it was much more compliant in open mode but when flipped to trail kinda felt like the XC tune. So your really getting the best of both worlds with the tune you have.

    Since I'm not racing I always leave my shock in open.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

  36. #1686
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,083

    Yeti SB4.5C

    Quote Originally Posted by LizInTheSun View Post
    I just now realized reading up on my sb4.5 suspension that the sb4.5 has a trail tune shock and a xc shock available.... I purchased my bike March 4th and the dealer in atlanta never mentioned this to me...even though he was well aware I was looking for a xc oriented bike as I was considering the ASR. My sb4.5's back shock says Tune: c9xs and has the larger volume air sleeve which online says is the trail tune shock. I primarily do xc riding and travel to rougher trail/enduro type trails as often as I can. Is this worth going through the trouble to see if yeti or the dealer will swap them for me?
    Yes this has been a hot topic. Many of us that bought frames from Competitive have the XC Shock body that has been tuned to supposedly mimic the Trail tune shock.

    Try to dig around in this thread - if you see the difference in the bodies, you will know right away which one you have. Trail tune has a larger body up top.

    If you have a legit Trail Tune shock and want XC I'm sure several on here would swap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --------------------------
    Rokworth.com
    MTB Reviews & Tests - for the love of writing and riding

  37. #1687
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LizInTheSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    I would keep the trail tune version as it's much preferred over the XC tune Evol. Just do what you did during your race and flip the lever to Trail mode when you know you'll have longer pedal section and then flip open on and descents or rocky and rough sections. You'll get used to finding the perfect moment to flip the lever as to not lose time.

    The XC tune was on the 4.5 when I demoed 2 months after the bike was released and it was really firm and slightly jarring during rough sections. When I bought my frame the trail tune had been released for a few months and it was much more compliant in open mode but when flipped to trail kinda felt like the XC tune. So your really getting the best of both worlds with the tune you have.

    Since I'm not racing I always leave my shock in open.
    As always thanks for your input. I just thought it was something the dealer should have mentioned to me. I'm not expecting to be winning championship xc races or anything lol as I mainly ride for fun. I just want to be slightly competitive as this is my first year getting my toes wet racing. I think I'll keep the trail tune since I travel so much. Everyone seems to like the trail tune better from what I could gather on the forums.

  38. #1688
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LizInTheSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Yes this has been a hot topic. Many of us that bought frames from Competitive have the XC Shock body that has been tuned to supposedly mimic the Trail tune shock.

    Try to dig around in this thread - if you see the difference in the bodies, you will know right away which one you have. Trail tune has a larger body up top.

    If you have a legit Trail Tune shock and want XC I'm sure several on here would swap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have the trail tune. I'm going to keep it since it does have the dps with the open and firm modes. It is a very fun ride in open on fast downhill sections. I was just very shocked to find that the dealer didn't even mention this.

  39. #1689
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by LizInTheSun View Post
    I have the trail tune. I'm going to keep it since it does have the dps with the open and firm modes. It is a very fun ride in open on fast downhill sections. I was just very shocked to find that the dealer didn't even mention this.
    I would too - I believe its way more versatile.
    --------------------------
    Rokworth.com
    MTB Reviews & Tests - for the love of writing and riding

  40. #1690
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,083

    Yeti SB4.5C

    *Finally* getting around to building mine this past weekend (I've had it since December); too much work, and snow. Waiting on wheels and I'll be good to go.

    Nothing too unusual with mine (it was nice having a custom painted bike for this very reason - now I'm just like everyone else), other than a MonarchPlus Debonair which I'm contemplating putting on right now before I even ride it. I will definitely try both and compare them back to back.

    Yeti SB4.5C-img_1770.jpg
    --------------------------
    Rokworth.com
    MTB Reviews & Tests - for the love of writing and riding

  41. #1691
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    *Finally* getting around to building mine this past weekend (I've had it since December); too much work, and snow. Waiting on wheels and I'll be good to go.

    Nothing too unusual with mine, other than a MonarchPlus Debonair which I'm contemplating putting on right now before I even ride it. I will definitely try both and compare them back to back.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	1127541
    Looking good !! I'm in SLC at this moment for 2 weeks of work downtown and couldn't believe the 75 degree weather getting off the plane Saturday evening. I'll be heading down to Hurricane to Demo the SB5+ on Saturday which is my 1 day off from this show I'm working. I'm sure you'll be riding in no time although the melt may create some long soggy conditions when spring hits hard.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

  42. #1692
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Looking good !! I'm in SLC at this moment for 2 weeks of work downtown and couldn't believe the 75 degree weather getting off the plane Saturday evening. I'll be heading down to Hurricane to Demo the SB5+ on Saturday which is my 1 day off from this show I'm working. I'm sure you'll be riding in no time although the melt may create some long soggy conditions when spring hits hard.
    If you brought a bike (assuming you didn't) there is plenty of low-elevation stuff that is rideable already.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --------------------------
    Rokworth.com
    MTB Reviews & Tests - for the love of writing and riding

  43. #1693
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skinnybex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    If you brought a bike (assuming you didn't) there is plenty of low-elevation stuff that is rideable already.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I flew up as I've been all over the globe the past 3 weeks so didn't travel with a bike but I did bring all my riding gear and may also demo an SB5 V2 up here and ride corner canyon on the 31st.

    I plan on doing another 7 days this August in PC and then head up to Sun Valley for my August trip. I'll be in Whistler for 10 days in July to ride my Giant Glory and SB5.5
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

  44. #1694
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,861
    I should have my 4.5 built up by the end of this week...if all goes well. Once I have a few shakedown rides on it, I'll maybe sell my Spider, as much as I like it and wanted to keep it as a backup bike. I need to fund a 27.5+ bike at some point. The 4.5 should be a very well-rounded trail bike. For wheels, I'm going with Chris King hubs, Knight Composites rims, and CX Ray spokes. I'm very excited about getting it out on the trails as soon as possible, and running into other Yeti riders.

  45. #1695
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by LizInTheSun View Post
    I have the trail tune. I'm going to keep it since it does have the dps with the open and firm modes. It is a very fun ride in open on fast downhill sections. I was just very shocked to find that the dealer didn't even mention this.
    Keep the trail tune! :-)
    As far as i know, all newer 4.5c do come with the trail tune.

    Mine has the XC shock, i don't know if it has been "tuned" to mimic the trail tune.. but i don't care to be honest. the bike feels very good, no complaints

  46. #1696
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stonedead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    104
    Has anyone tried updating the XC tune or the "trail tune" CC shock with a Vorsprung Corset? I found this while digging around:
    https://www.arbutusroutes.com/2017/0...-sb4-5-review/

    And it looks like this guy installed one. It might be a easy way to get a more plush ride.

  47. #1697
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,083
    So who is running a piggyback-style shock?

    Should I throw this on before I even ride it stock? I'd have to think this will soak up a lot more. But on my 95 it really hurt climbing even when the compression was closed. I'm assuming the SI will do a better job.

    And by the way I just stopped at my LBS - they had a 17 4.5 with the proper Trail Tune shock. That body is so much bigger than the XC I bought from CC.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --------------------------
    Rokworth.com
    MTB Reviews & Tests - for the love of writing and riding

  48. #1698
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    44
    I just picked up a 4.5 and thought I'd share my thoughts coming from an Evil Following since I know there are people out there comparing the 2 bikes. I absolutely loved the Following. It was the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Cornering was effortless on the Evil. Downhill on the Evil was as good as many 160mm bikes I've ridden. My only gripe I ever had with the Following was with the seat tube angle. It was too slack. The bike was hard on my knees, back and ass. It wasn't a matter of getting used to it either because I rode it for nearly 2 years.

    Even with the less than ideal seat tube angle, I loved the Following. I was hesitant to try the 4.5, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Since switching to the 4.5, my back, knee and ass pain is virtually gone. I finally feel like I can put in some nice long rides. There's no denying it though, the 4.5 is not as fun as the Evil. It's still a fun bike, but really not on the same level. The 4.5 also doesn't corner as well as the Evil. I have found my cornering technique has to be much more on point. I probably got a little lazy since the Evil was just so easy. I have to be much more precise with the 4.5. The 4.5 feels a bit less stable on fast, rocky downhills. I've been pretty shocked to see that the Yeti is probably faster than the Following even on some of the gnarly dh sections I ride. I still don't really know what to make of that. I feel faster and smoother on the Evil, but the Strava numbers don't lie.

    All in all I'm pretty stoked. There are definitely a few concessions I've had to make, but for me the plusses far outweigh the negatives.

  49. #1699
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cannonf600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40
    Does anyone have a drain hole at the bottom of your bottom bracket shell? I was reading the directions for Yeti's Decal protector kit and for the bottom bracket protector decal it says "Make sure that the
    decal does not cover the bottom bracket drain hole". My 2016 4.5 does not have one and after I wash it I can turn it upside down and I get water pouring out of 2 cable ports at the top of the frame.
    16 Yeti SB4.5c
    15 S-Works Epic
    01 Cannondale F600 disc
    96 Diamondback Apex

  50. #1700
    mtbr member
    Reputation: funnyjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by alewi11 View Post
    I just picked up a 4.5 and thought I'd share my thoughts coming from an Evil Following since I know there are people out there comparing the 2 bikes. I absolutely loved the Following. It was the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Cornering was effortless on the Evil. Downhill on the Evil was as good as many 160mm bikes I've ridden. My only gripe I ever had with the Following was with the seat tube angle. It was too slack. The bike was hard on my knees, back and ass. It wasn't a matter of getting used to it either because I rode it for nearly 2 years.

    Even with the less than ideal seat tube angle, I loved the Following. I was hesitant to try the 4.5, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Since switching to the 4.5, my back, knee and ass pain is virtually gone. I finally feel like I can put in some nice long rides. There's no denying it though, the 4.5 is not as fun as the Evil. It's still a fun bike, but really not on the same level. The 4.5 also doesn't corner as well as the Evil. I have found my cornering technique has to be much more on point. I probably got a little lazy since the Evil was just so easy. I have to be much more precise with the 4.5. The 4.5 feels a bit less stable on fast, rocky downhills. I've been pretty shocked to see that the Yeti is probably faster than the Following even on some of the gnarly dh sections I ride. I still don't really know what to make of that. I feel faster and smoother on the Evil, but the Strava numbers don't lie.

    All in all I'm pretty stoked. There are definitely a few concessions I've had to make, but for me the plusses far outweigh the negatives.
    Hmm, according to Eft seat tube angles between the two bikes is roughly the same . Unless one has a drastic actual seat tube angle which l suspect the Evil Following does by looking at pics. I had them same problem on diff bikes. How tall are you?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 yeti asr-5 or 2014 yeti sb95
    By Yetimnstr575 in forum Yeti
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-20-2015, 06:14 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 05:31 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 01:11 PM
  4. Yeti-man's Yeti Pro FRO disc version
    By digilux in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 07:56 AM
  5. Yeti 575 vs. Yeti ASR 5C for Grass Valley/Tahoe
    By schweisd in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 12:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •