Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,700 of 1898

Thread: Yeti SB4.5C

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikno View Post
    Yes, the NN2.35 fit just fine at the rear. However if you got a noodle wheel it will most likely rub.
    (My NN2.35 is 59.5mm / 2.338" on a Ibis 941 rim)
    Woohoo! I've got Nox Teocalli wheels for this tire. thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

My New build

Sb 4.5 Large.
    Pike 140mm
    Carbon wheels 142 rear with conversion kit to 148 boostinator.
    1x11 shimano xt, race face turbine crack
    Race face dropper
    so far been a nice good build.
    Really clean cable run.

Yeti SB4.5C-img_20170301_113611.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Just to share some feedback on the XC body/TR tune shock, I'm 3 rides and in pleasantly surprised with how it's performing. I weigh 160lbs and found setup to be key as the sweet spot is pretty narrow. Once you get there however the bike is extremely capable and was never holding me back even on the roughest sections.

My initial thoughts and setup are detailed in my youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDgvC-P1rKM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post
    Just to share some feedback on the XC body/TR tune shock, I'm 3 rides and in pleasantly surprised with how it's performing. I weigh 160lbs and found setup to be key as the sweet spot is pretty narrow. Once you get there however the bike is extremely capable and was never holding me back even on the roughest sections.

My initial thoughts and setup are detailed in my youtube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDgvC-P1rKM
    Very nice video Wrinkle. Im really surprised with your rebound settings on both your fork and shock but it seems to work well for you. I'm running a Goma 2.4 front and Morsa 2.3 rear on my Carbon hoops and I'm 24psi F and 26psi R with digital gauge and it's perfect.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

I'm planning on Nobl / i9 wheels myself - what are you running for a rear tire with those TR33s? Clearance ok? I'm planning to get the TR28s anyway - I'd rather have less weight than more width, but 'still doing some research. Thanks.

And I'll second the suspension settings comment above - super-fast rebound is odd; a lot of people like to go that route, but full-open or very close to it would be violent I would think. I mess with settings constantly, and usually settle in the middle otherwise with it fully open, you're throwing any damping out the window.
    --------------------------
    Rokworth.com
    MTB Reviews & Tests - for the love of writing and riding

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have decided on Knight Composites rims (kinda pricey) with Chris King hubs, but am undecided on spokes. I'm tempted to use a combo of Sapim triple and double butted spokes with HM washers but I also think about bladed since most of my builds have a combo of Sapim CX Rays and Sprints. Wheels should be bomber though.

EDIT- ordered the Shimano Koryak dropper post. I guess I will be a beta tester of sorts.
    Last edited by Flyer; 03-03-2017 at 01:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    I'm planning on Nobl / i9 wheels myself - what are you running for a rear tire with those TR33s? Clearance ok? I'm planning to get the TR28s anyway - I'd rather have less weight than more width, but 'still doing some research. Thanks.

And I'll second the suspension settings comment above - super-fast rebound is odd; a lot of people like to go that route, but full-open or very close to it would be violent I would think. I mess with settings constantly, and usually settle in the middle otherwise with it fully open, you're throwing any damping out the window.
    Oddly enough this is the only bike I've ever run with the rebound fully open which tells me rebound (and compression for that matter) tune is rather aggressive. On the high speed stuff it never felt unstable or felt like I was getting bucked around even on some mild jumps depicted in the video.

I'm running a 2.3 Minion SS in the rear. Tire clearance is a bit tight especially on the drive side thanks to the chainstay protector. No rubbing though. Overall extremely happy with the wheels so far. They're wide but not excessively so.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone have any suspension setup preferences they care to share?
    Last edited by GS Spirit; 03-04-2017 at 10:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    First ride on my yeti, set to 30% sag rear and 25 front (pike set to 140mm).Trail with lots of root and lose rocks, ride feel harsh on the rear almost the same feel as a hardtail bike, the shock was set on pedal mode, I move to fully open and was night and day, the suspension start to feel like is working. My frame was the last large size from CC, shock custom tune id CZ72, Any advise to improve the ride will be appreciate. also im using carbon wheel lace on hope pro 2 with boostinator kit. Use around 80% of the shock travel with few drops and small jumps pressure set to 240Psi.
    Good blend between all mountain and xc bike, geometry is awesome and u really dont fell the 140mm on front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel212 View Post
    First ride on my yeti, set to 30% sag rear and 25 front (pike set to 140mm).Trail with lots of root and lose rocks, ride feel harsh on the rear almost the same feel as a hardtail bike, the shock was set on pedal mode, I move to fully open and was night and day, the suspension start to feel like is working. My frame was the last large size from CC, shock custom tune id CZ72, Any advise to improve the ride will be appreciate. also im using carbon wheel lace on hope pro 2 with boostinator kit. Use around 80% of the shock travel with few drops and small jumps pressure set to 240Psi.
    Good blend between all mountain and xc bike, geometry is awesome and u really dont fell the 140mm on front.
    I see absolutely no reason to ever touch that climb switch on this bike once left fully open. In fact I should remove it to save 4 grams.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Congrats on the frame and a killer price at that!

You may want to consider a coil shock if you're looking for a smoother ride. Other thing you can try is lowering your tire pressure a few PSI. Or you may be used to a plusher bike before this bike? I set my shock to 20% sag and love it for the firm, supportive ride on the rocky stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Just ride it more and see how you like it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Anyone think the 2017 XO 1 build on the carbon frame ( not Turq ) with peformance shock and fork, a better deal at $5000 than the 2016 slx build at $3800? The frame is 1/2 lb heavier, better wheels, brakes and other parts. Doesn't have factory shock or fork.
    Last edited by JohnnyDfiddler; 03-05-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Mistake

mtbr member

Yeti sb4.5 SRAM Eagle Carbon
    New Bike Day was yesterday, Maiden Voyage was today at Blanket Creek in Atlanta. Had the suspension and sag set up at fresh bikes and it is amazing, night and day difference from my 7 year old specialized camber. I caught some air today and it climbed like a mountain goat even with the suspension all the way open.

I would like to get a bigger front sprocket as on straight aways I felt slow and ran out of gears when I wanted to go faster.
    I don't have as much elevation on my home trails so I will play with the open, medium, firm settings on the new shock and see how it does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDfiddler View Post
    Anyone think the 2017 XO 1 build on the carbon frame ( not Turq ) with peformance shock and fork, a better deal at $5000 than the 2016 slx build at $3800? The frame is 1/2 lb heavier, better wheels, brakes and other parts. Doesn't have factory shock or fork.
    The guy I just bought mine from said the difference in the performance vs factory shock wasn't that much of a difference with the average rider. If you are a suspension nerd he said you would notice. It also lacks the Kashima coating.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Keep fiddling with sag, rebound, and open/middle setting. I'm 200lbs and mine felt firm / harsh too at first.. I think there is a break in period too because mine felt better over time / adjusting.

I never assume any percentage of sag is a standard, just a starting point.

Keep in mind this bike only has 4.5" of travel, while it seems longer and more capable than other bikes in its class over the techy rough stuff; jumps and larger drops can seem a little harsh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi guys,
    I'm considering the change from the ASRc to the 4.5, but as I'm riding an S size, would like to see some real images of a frame in this size and I can't find any. Do you have any pic? Do you know if this size have the same curve in the TT as the SB5?
    Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by granmotte View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm considering the change from the ASRc to the 4.5, but as I'm riding an S size, would like to see some real images of a frame in this size and I can't find any. Do you have any pic? Do you know if this size have the same curve in the TT as the SB5?
    Thanks a lot!
    How tall are you? I'm 5' 7" so technically I'm a small but I just bought a Yeti sb4.5 in medium with a shorter stem and man does it feel good. I have no shoulder or lower back pain like I didn't on my old bike (2011 specialized camber 29er in medium a cross country bike). The geometry is just so different. When standing to ride or pedal you are actually really close to the handle bars which made me more aware when I wasn't getting my weight back like I should. Sitting was made better with the shorter stem. Make sure you just get the right size dropper post for your inseam.

For the sb4.5 I would demo a medium and a small before ruling out the medium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm 5' 5" so I have to go for an S for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Eagle x0-1

Quote Originally Posted by LizInTheSun View Post
    The guy I just bought mine from said the difference in the performance vs factory shock wasn't that much of a difference with the average rider. If you are a suspension nerd he said you would notice. It also lacks the Kashima coating.

Did you ride the Turq or 2016 model to compare? Beautiful bike you have.

mtbr member
    How tall are you? I'm 5' 7" so technically I'm a small but I just bought a Yeti sb4.5 in medium with a shorter stem and man does it feel good. I have no shoulder or lower back pain like I didn't on my old bike (2011 specialized camber 29er in medium a cross country bike). The geometry is just so different. When standing to ride or pedal you are actually really close to the handle bars which made me more aware when I wasn't getting my weight back like I should. Sitting was made better with the shorter stem. Make sure you just get the right size dropper post for your inseam.

For the sb4.5 I would demo a medium and a small before ruling out the medium.

I knew you'd love the 4.5 with a short stem. The bike so so capable and to be honest it's the best choice for all the south and south east region trails in Georgia....Tn.,NC,Va and so on

Don't be concerned with the difference between the Factory Kashima vs the Performance series.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDfiddler View Post
    Did you ride the Turq or 2016 model to compare? Beautiful bike you have.
    I did ride the Turq model around the parking lot and I rode a 2016 sb4.5 carbon as a demo. The Turq 2017 model still has the eagle components and it had the slightly better Fox 34 shock with the Kashima coating. It wasn't that much lighter in weight to the touch (online says .7 pounds in difference) but it felt really similar to the carbon model. So I happily just paid for the top carbon model.

I demoed the 2016 sb4.5 Carbon with SRAM GX level components since it was the shops demo bike and I needed to make sure the medium size would work for me. It was an awesome ride. The GX components were nice and I didnt notice any issues, very smooth shifting. It has the fox 34 shock factory front and rear which the shop adjusted perfectly for me. It was so fluid and playful. I was way more confident going over technical terrain as my last bike had a 100mm fork. The sb4.5 just rolls over everything downhill or even uphill. I knew ahead of time I wanted the SRAM eagle so even if I found a 2016 I would get the eagle but the gx was great. Climbing with the eagle is a piece of cake but if your trails are a little flatter I would get a bigger front sprocket as it comes with a 30t or 32t (I can't remember at the moment).

If you can find a 2016 carbon model for cheap I would go for it. In my opinion it's not worth the extra money for the Turq unless you just want it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    I knew you'd love the 4.5 with a short stem. The bike so so capable and to be honest it's the best choice for all the south and south east region trails in Georgia....Tn.,NC,Va and so on

Don't be concerned with the difference between the Factory Kashima vs the Performance series.
    Thanks for the advice! It definitely helped. It was a perfect fit besides some smaller things ill get dialed in more as I put some miles on it. I'm happy I ended up fitting a medium because I don't think I could have waited another week to get it, haha.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice! It definitely helped. It was a perfect fit besides some smaller things ill get dialed in more as I put some miles on it. I'm happy I ended up fitting a medium because I don't think I could have waited another week to get it, haha.

Beautiful bike! What size stem are you running ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I did ride the Turq model around the parking lot and I rode a 2016 sb4.5 carbon as a demo. The Turq 2017 model still has the eagle components and it had the slightly better Fox 34 shock with the Kashima coating. It wasn't that much lighter in weight to the touch (online says .7 pounds in difference) but it felt really similar to the carbon model. So I happily just paid for the top carbon model.

I demoed the 2016 sb4.5 Carbon with SRAM GX level components since it was the shops demo bike and I needed to make sure the medium size would work for me. It was an awesome ride. The GX components were nice and I didnt notice any issues, very smooth shifting. It has the fox 34 shock factory front and rear which the shop adjusted perfectly for me. It was so fluid and playful. I was way more confident going over technical terrain as my last bike had a 100mm fork. The sb4.5 just rolls over everything downhill or even uphill. I knew ahead of time I wanted the SRAM eagle so even if I found a 2016 I would get the eagle but the gx was great. Climbing with the eagle is a piece of cake but if your trails are a little flatter I would get a bigger front sprocket as it comes with a 30t or 32t (I can't remember at the moment).

If you can find a 2016 carbon model for cheap I would go for it. In my opinion it's not worth the extra money for the Turq unless you just want it.

Thanks this is very helpful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Made it out to the Lunch Loops in Grand Junction yesterday. Rode the Gunny Loop. . . So. Much. Fun.

This was my first ride after switching from the trail tune/xc body rear shock to the proper trail tune shock. I did not ride them both on the same trail, but definitely on VERY similar terrain (Fruita is very comparable to Grand Junction and Moab for that matter).

The old shock had kind of a 'thud' to it when rolling over drops. The new shock does not have have a thud and is far more supple. Bump absorption seems improved and and it has a far more plush and playful feel overall.

The photo below was taken right before the final descent back to the parking lot. If you ever find yourself looking to ride in GJ, the Gunny Loop should be on the list.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/6323564

Yeti SB4.5C-bike2.jpg

mtbr member
    So I haven't been able to sell this beast of a bike because Yeti warranty doesn't transfer with the frame. A prospective buyer told me. If it's true, that's Weak Sauce on Yeti's part.

Also, to add insult to injury....Some guy came on this forum talking about a chainstay he broke back in 1976. Go Suck It!
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    That is the case almost entirely across the board when it comes to bikes. Warranty is for the original owner. Some companies are better than others when it comes to cheap crash replacement for subsequent owners.

That said, I had no problems selling my '17 4.5C; you just have to price it right and be willing to take whatever hit to walk away from it.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    So I haven't been able to sell this beast of a bike because Yeti warranty doesn't transfer with the frame. A prospective buyer told me. If it's true, that's Weak Sauce on Yeti's part.

Also, to add insult to injury....Some guy came on this forum talking about a chainstay he broke back in 1976. Go Suck It!
    I'm pretty sure that's true with most if not all bike manufacturers warranties.

Plus, they only cover manufacture defects not if the failure was from a crash. So, yeti warranty is nice to have but not necessarily what people think it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by junior77 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's true with most if not all bike manufacturers warranties.

Plus, they only cover manufacture defects not if the failure was from a crash. So, yeti warranty is nice to have but not necessarily what people think it is.

True wise one!
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    True wise one!
    Contact Yeti quick - I'm pretty sure they will offer the Crash Replacement program to the next owner. They have offered it to me before when I was not the original owner. That is at least some incentive for your prospective buyer.

Rokworth.com

mtbr member
    Contact Yeti quick - I'm pretty sure they will offer the Crash Replacement program to the next owner. They have offered it to me before when I was not the original owner. That is at least some incentive for your prospective buyer.

I will check. Does it cost money? Someone will buy it.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The 4.5 is new to me and I am just sharing part of my suspension set up journey.

Rode yesterday and had my tire pressures on the low / standard for me F26psi Maxxis Minion DHF and R28psi Maxxis aggressor sag on rear shock was .5in, no volume reducers and pike 140 fork 3 tokens 1 3/16 sag and the bike felt great. Did some large high speed water bar jumps too and no bottoming out and felt great all day. I am getting pretty close, I might try the med volume reducer for the shock to see if I can make it a touch more plush on the first part of the stroke and reduce the pressure again.

So I started with it feeling a little plush but bottomed out fork and shock. Now it is a little more xc with no bottoming out now I will try to find the middle.

I am really a kind of set it and forget it kind of guy but I need to know I have done my part and then I can forget it.
    Last edited by GS Spirit; 03-06-2017 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    yes may be thats the problem, my other bike is a Santa Cruz Bronson with cane creek inline shock so i like cushion suspension. leaving the shock to full open setting make the trick no as i want but work great vs the pedal platform. i will keep using for a bit and play with the psi on the shock and the tires (so far set to 34 psi tubeless). the lower price on the inline cc make me want to upgrade to that shock ($260).
    Bike feel really good, and looks like piece of art. Thank for the advise

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    I will check. Does it cost money? Someone will buy it.
    The program does not no. It usually offers a 50% price break on a replacement part.

Rokworth.com

mtbr member
    What direct mount front sprocket is that? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I got my bike the other day and finally got it all built up and put together. Decided on a 2017 Turq X01. I ended up selling the OEM DT Swiss XM421 wheels right away. I am a big fan of Nobl wheels and got a great deal on a new set from them, about $600 off retail so it was a no brainer there.

I installed an Invisifram kit that wasn't all that hard. Only one piece didn't fit an needed trimming. The drive side chain stay was off for where the rubber guard meets. I can only guess that Yeti extended this piece since the kit was first made, was off by about 1/2 inch. Other than that it went on without any issues and took about 2 hours to get on really taking my time. To speed things up I pulled the wheels and chain. The bars and cables were easy to work around.

I was told the bike would come with the Race Face dropper but it showed up with the Fox Transfer Performance - I am okay with it so far. Not a big fan of the lever so far and the speed is a lot slower than posts I have had in the past (Reverb/IRCC) but it runs smooth so it will stay until it is an issue. Of course the grips will need to go, the OEM ones are worth about $2 and are just horrible. The saddle seems comfortable so far but no real rides yet. I will run the Ardents for the time being but they will eventually get switched out I am sure for a Minion DHF/Aggressor combo and for any races probably an Ikon set - see how the Ardents go for now.

I will have to monitor the rear brake hose as it is very close to the spokes. About 1/2 inch away or less. Not sure how it would ever really get caught up in there but I might try and re-run the line to see if I can get it to bend a different way or secure it to the chain stay with a small zip tie just for piece of mind.

Spent some time adjusting the saddle/post and sag/suspension settings just bombing around the neighbourhood. First impressions are that this thing absolutely rips. The weight before the wheel switch was 26.4lbs. The Nobl weight was exactly .50 lbs lighter than the DT Swiss wheels and I put on Centerline X rotors which saves another 50 grams or so. Then add the XTR pedals and I would estimate the final weight to be around 26.2-26.4 lbs which I am happy with. Going to bring it to my LBS for a weight in at some point.

Very much happy so far - great bike and super sexy in person. Can't wait to get out for a real ride here tomorrow or the next day.

Yeti SB4.5C-img_0825.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brennenhuff View Post
    I got my bike the other day and finally got it all built up and put together. Decided on a 2017 Turq X01. I ended up selling the OEM DT Swiss XM421 wheels right away. I am a big fan of Nobl wheels and got a great deal on a new set from them, about $600 off retail so it was a no brainer there.

I installed an Invisifram kit that wasn't all that hard. Only one piece didn't fit an needed trimming. The drive side chain stay was off for where the rubber guard meets. I can only guess that Yeti extended this piece since the kit was first made, was off by about 1/2 inch. Other than that it went on without any issues and took about 2 hours to get on really taking my time. To speed things up I pulled the wheels and chain. The bars and cables were easy to work around.

I was told the bike would come with the Race Face dropper but it showed up with the Fox Transfer Performance - I am okay with it so far. Not a big fan of the lever so far and the speed is a lot slower than posts I have had in the past (Reverb/IRCC) but it runs smooth so it will stay until it is an issue. Of course the grips will need to go, the OEM ones are worth about $2 and are just horrible. The saddle seems comfortable so far but no real rides yet. I will run the Ardents for the time being but they will eventually get switched out I am sure for a Minion DHF/Aggressor combo and for any races probably an Ikon set - see how the Ardents go for now.

I will have to monitor the rear brake hose as it is very close to the spokes. About 1/2 inch away or less. Not sure how it would ever really get caught up in there but I might try and re-run the line to see if I can get it to bend a different way or secure it to the chain stay with a small zip tie just for piece of mind.

Spent some time adjusting the saddle/post and sag/suspension settings just bombing around the neighbourhood. First impressions are that this thing absolutely rips. The weight before the wheel switch was 26.4lbs. The Nobl weight was exactly .50 lbs lighter than the DT Swiss wheels and I put on Centerline X rotors which saves another 50 grams or so. Then add the XTR pedals and I would estimate the final weight to be around 26.2-26.4 lbs which I am happy with. Going to bring it to my LBS for a weight in at some point.

Very much happy so far - great bike and super sexy in person. Can't wait to get out for a real ride here tomorrow or the next day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	1125212
    Nice built! Is it an M?

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	1125212
    Nice one. I am waiting this exact bike myself ...one question about the transfer post lever. Is the one below the bar?

mtbr member
    What direct mount front sprocket is that? Thanks.

Absolute Black 30t Cinch
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Large size frame. The lever is the 1x one that is belowe the bar yes.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Large size frame. The lever is the 1x one that is belowe the bar yes.
    Cheers!!

mtbr member
    The program does not no. It usually offers a 50% price break on a replacement part.

They got nothing for me. It should sell
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringfork View Post
    Made it out to the Lunch Loops in Grand Junction yesterday. Rode the Gunny Loop. . . So. Much. Fun.

This was my first ride after switching from the trail tune/xc body rear shock to the proper trail tune shock. I did not ride them both on the same trail, but definitely on VERY similar terrain (Fruita is very comparable to Grand Junction and Moab for that matter).
    Glad you finally got a true trail tune shock and impressed with the way it rides. I Need to ride those trails next time I'm there. I like the black,bike looks awesome.
    The old shock had kind of a 'thud' to it when rolling over drops. The new shock does not have have a thud and is far more supple. Bump absorption seems improved and and it has a far more plush and playful feel overall.

The photo below was taken right before the final descent back to the parking lot. If you ever find yourself looking to ride in GJ, the Gunny Loop should be on the list.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/6323564

Name:	BIKE2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	1125008
    Glad you finally got a true trail tune shock and enjoying the way it rides. I need to ride those trails next time I'm out there. I like the black,bike looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonf600 View Post
    Glad you finally got a true trail tune shock and enjoying the way it rides. I need to ride those trails next time I'm out there. I like the black,bike looks awesome.
    Thanks! Appreciate you answering all my questions about the shock. I replaced the orange fox fork decals with black on black fox heritage decals. Black on black on black on black. LOL

mtbr member
    I've got just over 200 miles on the sb4.5 and just getting back into regular riding now that things are getting warm and dry at lower elevations.

Coming from my sb95c . . . the bike climbs much better, and I'm the only thing slowing this down on the descents. Feels a little more nimble too. . . beating all my existing strava PRs. Rode out in Fruita the last 2 weekends and may go to Moab next weekend.

Get out and ride!
    Do you find it more plush than your SB95c ? I'm asking because I used to own a 95a and am looking at the 4.5 currently.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetheridge View Post
    Do you find it more plush than your SB95c ? I'm asking because I used to own a 95a and am looking at the 4.5 currently.
    The fit feels almost identical, everything else is better. . . stiffer, lighter, plusher. . .

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hello all, just had a 3 day demo of an SB4.5 and I have to say that I am a believer. First ride of a Yeti (currently ride Trek Fuel ex9) and it rocks. Super fast, very efficient, awesome climber, capable when the trail gets a bit knarly (never going to be a DH monster). I stupidly didn't try my Trek and bought after a car park ride, first ride out 13 PR's on Strava on a bike that had a basic set up at the bike shop. I think it's wrong to say the Fuel isn't a good bike, I know in a more capable riders hands, it performs well but the Yeti really is the real deal...the switch infinity suspension soaks up the little trail chunder and keeps momentum, it handles it way better than the Trek. I didn't consider the Fuel to be a bad climber but the 4.5 just hauls up climbs, all of the power is going to the ground and you don't feel the suspension working at all (although it is). I rode a mid level build with some DT Swiss XM481 wheels / XT groupo, no doubt you could get a lighter weight bike if you went searching for it. So here in Oz this can be your 1 bike but no doubt it has it's limitations if you ride DH type of terrain. Just thought I would share my thoughts, 3 days of it and I'm blown away just how good it is. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNamesPool View Post
    Hello all, just had a 3 day demo of an SB4.5 and I have to say that I am a believer. First ride of a Yeti (currently ride Trek Fuel ex9) and it rocks. Super fast, very efficient, awesome climber, capable when the trail gets a bit knarly (never going to be a DH monster). I stupidly didn't try my Trek and bought after a car park ride, first ride out 13 PR's on Strava on a bike that had a basic set up at the bike shop. I think it's wrong to say the Fuel isn't a good bike, I know in a more capable riders hands, it performs well but the Yeti really is the real deal...the switch infinity suspension soaks up the little trail chunder and keeps momentum, it handles it way better than the Trek. I didn't consider the Fuel to be a bad climber but the 4.5 just hauls up climbs, all of the power is going to the ground and you don't feel the suspension working at all (although it is). I rode a mid level build with some DT Swiss XM481 wheels / XT groupo, no doubt you could get a lighter weight bike if you went searching for it. So here in Oz this can be your 1 bike but no doubt it has it's limitations if you ride DH type of terrain. Just thought I would share my thoughts, 3 days of it and I'm blown away just how good it is. Cheers.
    Awesome feedback. Thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNamesPool View Post
    What model year and wheel size Trek Fuel? They have evolved every year for the past few years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    2015, one year pre boost model - 120mm travel F & R.
    I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but here is OZ the Trek is a 5K AUD retail bike.....ouch...I am 167 and ride a 17.5in (M) in Trek, I rode a Med 4.5 with a 125 dropper and it just fits better. The Geo is so much better and I feel a lot more confident on the Yeti. I've only been riding seriously for 1.5 years but this things takes your riding to a new level IMO.
    I rode with a mate who has the 2016 Trek Ex9 model - snot green (130mm F / 120mm R), we are normally very close to each others times on the same trail but I blew him away. The Yeti just tracks better, is more efficient and just handles the trail better. I'm in love, what a machine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I just serviced my Switch Infinity for the first time. It sure took a lot of pumps with the grease gun to see grease oozing out, but it worked and fixed the squeaky pivot I was experiencing. Seems like 250 miles is a good service interval. That included one super caky muddy nasty ride that took a lot of washing to get clean.

mtbr member
    I just serviced my Switch Infinity for the first time. It sure took a lot of pumps with the grease gun to see grease oozing out, but it worked and fixed the squeaky pivot I was experiencing. Seems like 250 miles is a good service interval. That included one super caky muddy nasty ride that took a lot of washing to get clean.
    Everytime I go to clean my bike there seems to be some grease that has oozed out around the infinity shocks? The cylinders in there? Not sure what they are called. I'm just wiping it away since dust and dirt get in the space where the switch infinity is. Is that okay? Mine isn't do for service as I've only put 40miles on it and the guy at the shop in atlanta (shawn from fresh bikes - he worked at yeti out in colorado before opening up the store) said that less is more for the grease as it does attract more dirt and grime.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Everytime I go to clean my bike there seems to be some grease that has oozed out around the infinity shocks? The cylinders in there? Not sure what they are called. I'm just wiping it away since dust and dirt get in the space where the switch infinity is. Is that okay? Mine isn't do for service as I've only put 40miles on it and the guy at the shop in atlanta (shawn from fresh bikes - he worked at yeti out in colorado before opening up the store) said that less is more for the grease as it does attract more dirt and grime.
    That is normal. Definitely a good idea to keep it clean. I'm pretty sure my bike needed it because it seemed to take a lot before it oozed out, which I promptly cleaned off with a q-tip. Agreed there is no need to over do it. Below is the Fox service interval suggestion. I wash my bike after nearly every ride, including cleaning an lubing the chain. I had approximately 30 hours on the bike before re-greasing.

Dry/Dusty Conditions 75-100 hours
    Excessive Mud, Dust, or Frequent Washing 25-50 hours
    Minimum Service Interval* 10-15 hours

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Haven't serviced my Switch Infinity on my SB6 yet, it has still grease left.. Got it end of last summer..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DB-Photo View Post
    Haven't serviced my Switch Infinity on my SB6 yet, it has still grease left.. Got it end of last summer..
    I put about 1,000 miles on mine and serviced it once at around 750 miles (~75hrs). I keep it clean and don't "wash" my bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

NBD! (Yesterday)

Just joined the tribe and could not be happier! 2016 SB4.5c. You guys here on the forum were a big part in helping me decide on a YETI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB4.5C-img_0689.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonunlimited View Post
    Just joined the tribe and could not be happier! 2016 SB4.5c. You guys here on the forum were a big part in helping me decide on a YETI
    Congrats Brudah and welcome. Your new bike is a beauty and feel free to reach out for anything you may need or questions you may have.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Welcome to the Tribe! :-)

Enjoy your 4.5c!

I got mine on saturday.. and its a rocket! Still can't believe how fast it is! :-)

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I am still waiting for mine; 4.5 turq 17 with Eagle X01...it's supposed to arrive this week but as I live in Spain and it has to clear customs and things I'm not very confident it will get on time for the weekend... the wait is killing me!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Quick question, what mm stem are you using? I've got a 40mm on mine and the turning is a little squirmy. Could be the fact that I'm coming from a 26" trek ex9 with a 70mm stem on it. Whatcha think?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I was posting a month or so asking questions. I ended up finally pulling the trigger on a custom build through CC with the AJ discount I still dropped over $4300 which I'm having a hard time accepting.
    The bike rides awesome, everything ppl on here are saying is true. I can climb things I never climbed before. Traction during a standing climb is phenomenal. Fast rocky downhills, steep rooty swichback climbs, nasty technical sections, rolling singletrack. I fly through it all. This is the perfect bike for southeast US. I've been riding it for a few weeks and I'm more impressed after every ride.
    I ended up getting the fox transer dropper for free, thanks CC!
    16 Yeti 4.5
    I9 torch hubs and 24 trail wheels, only 1600g and the 3 deg engagement works wonders in the techy stuff
    xtr shifters
    xt derailer
    guide rs brakes
    Im 5'7 on a M with a 60mm stem. I like the fit. 125mm dropper, I think 150 would have fit. The rear shock felt perfect from day one, I leave it open, its been plug and play for me. I'm still trying to dial in the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB4.5C-20170313_114742.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm going to use a 65mm stem. Maybe I'm not used to it yet but stems in the 40mm range tend to make the steering not to my liking at all.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Quick question, what mm stem are you using? I've got a 40mm on mine and the turning is a little squirmy. Could be the fact that I'm coming from a 26" trek ex9 with a 70mm stem on it. Whatcha think?

mtbr member
    What bar width are you running ? maybe a 780mm or wider will calm it down a bit and give you that wide arm position which helps with confidence.

I run 740mm bars on my ARC, ASRc, SB4.5 and SB6 Trail light build
    I run 780mm bars on my SB5.5 and SB6 Shock and Awe, and Devinci Troy Colombian Build
    I run 800mm bars on my Giant Glory DH bike
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Hasue, Congrats on the new bike and I'm so happy your loving your new SB4.5 as it's a fantastic and capable bike and will supply you with endless smiles.

Don't sweat the money spent my friend as I understand it's hard to justify that kind of money but if you take each ride out on the bike as a great moment of happiness in your life then it would be worth it to spend 10 times more than that. Just enjoy being out in nature and breathing fresh air and forget about all the BS for the time your riding....You deserve it !!!

BTW, your bike looks Badass !!! Welcome to the Tribe
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Here is my 4.5c :-)

Got it as a frame + shock only and build it completely custom. Swapped some parts from my old bike over..
    It's a large frame and it weighs about 12.4kg with pedals.

I just LOVE! the Yeti green! Plus those colored parts.. it looks very flashy.. but thats what i was aiming for. Also didn't look for the "lightest" build possible.

The bike is very very fast and rides different than my 6c. Amazed how capable it is! Will put some meatier tires on and see what it can really do :-)
    Love it so far

Sorry for the quality, but the upload here compressed the picture quite a bit..

Yeti SB4.5C-img_0548-1-.jpg

DCI
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Since is St Patty's day...here is my Green 4.5C, I love this bike!
    XX1 Shifter, Derailleur and Cassette
    XTR Brakes
    LB 34 Carbon hoops with Dt350s
    Next SL carbon Bars and Cranks
    26lbs on the nose with pedals!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB4.5C-img_8679.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    I'm going to use a 65mm stem. Maybe I'm not used to it yet but stems in the 40mm range tend to make the steering not to my liking at all.
    Yeah downhills were no problem with the short stem but steep technical uphills were tough. Felt like I couldn't keep the bike on the line I wanted and the front wheel kept popping up. Maybe just need some more time on it to get used to it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Happy St. Patrick's Day out there. Great day for a ride - first long haul on the 4.5 - did 44klm this morning!

Yeti SB4.5C-img_0850.jpg

mtbr member
    Anyone try climbing their yeti with the dps setting on the shock set to medium vs leaving it open? You would think that putting it into medium would make you more efficient pedalling uphill. Do you think leaving it open and letting the yeti infinity do its thing is just as comparable?

I had a local xc race today (placed 3rd &#128512 and while I was so fast down hill, I felt so slow uphill but I made the last minute decision to throw the fox dps on the fork and back shock into medium since it wasn't a very rough trail. I'm still trying to get my suspension dialed in. Thanks ahead for any thoughts!

mtbr member
    Anyone try climbing their yeti with the dps setting on the shock set to medium vs leaving it open? You would think that putting it into medium would make you more efficient pedalling uphill. Do you think leaving it open and letting the yeti infinity do its thing is just as comparable?

I had a local xc race today (placed 3rd &#128512 and while I was so fast down hill, I felt so slow uphill but I made the last minute decision to throw the fox dps on the fork and back shock into medium since it wasn't a very rough trail. I'm still trying to get my suspension dialed in. Thanks ahead for any thoughts!
    I'd honestly leave it in open mode because you'll benefit from having better traction and letting the suspension absorb all the unique trail makeup. Once you get that DPS dialed it will be really efficient with a firm pedaling platform.

Of course there are unique circumstances that you'd use the Trail/Med setting for fire road or double track.

Now I know if the race is purely XC then maybe your at a disadvantage against hardtails and 100mm front and rear steep HTA bikes but if it's more rowdy or Enduro style you'll destroy them

mtbr member
    In a race like the BC Bike race the SB4.5 would be insanely good as that's kinda what I mean by adapting to the style of course.

mtbr member
    In a race like the BC Bike race the SB4.5 would be insanely good as that's kinda what I mean by adapting to the style of course.
    I'm know it's capable, it's just getting it figured out for myself. After today I will probable just leave it open, I rode trails last week with more technical climbing and felt like it did better in the open setting. I should have left it open today as it may have helped mold to the trails like you said with it being wet and muddy today. Thanks

Formerly of Kent
    That would be heavily dependent on the build. By all accounts, 120mm is plenty up front for BCBR. Running a 140mm Pike and anything resembling a stock Yeti build is going to be a lot of bike to haul up and down them hills.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Question about the RF Next SL crankset install on the 4.5 - this is my first press fit BB frame-up build and curious about spacers.

Am I supposed to run a small spacer on the drive side, or run the crank all the way in and use the preload adjuster to take up the slack? I ran a spacer on my 95 (but thats apples to oranges); this whole press fit thing is new to me.

I'm sure there are a ton of you running the NextSL on the 4.5 - curious what your install setup is. Thanks.
    Rokworth.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm know it's capable, it's just getting it figured out for myself. After today I will probable just leave it open, I rode trails last week with more technical climbing and felt like it did better in the open setting. I should have left it open today as it may have helped mold to the trails like you said with it being wet and muddy today. Thanks
    Thats been my experience. Climbs have gotten a little faster on the 4.5 and I'm leaving it open.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have the shock with the trail tune on my 4.5 and mostly use the middle position when climbing technical trails, after some testing. Last summer i had fork at 130mm and the Yeti was "flying" uphill.

Might not be interesting, but for me this shows how incredible good climber the Yeti is.
    Here are som Strava times from a 1,5km uphill segment, all bikes was tested with Maxxis Ardent Race.
    7:35 - Niner AIR9RDO
    7:33 - Specialized Epic S-Works 29
    7:16 - Yeti SB4.5c

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    That would be heavily dependent on the build. By all accounts, 120mm is plenty up front for BCBR. Running a 140mm Pike and anything resembling a stock Yeti build is going to be a lot of bike to haul up and down them hills.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    This is also subjective. A good range of travel for BCBR will be that 120-140 front/110-130 rear with a lot of it dependent on ability as well. Some courses will greatly benefit from the extra travel, like all of the upper network of Cumberland and Mt. Seymour - others not as much like Powell River. And a riders ability to go at speed with a 120/110 setup on some of the more technical decent trails will play a part. 4.5C will be just great for BCBR for someone who wants to go out and have fun, go quickly, but is not worried about placing with the 'elite' level riders.

But I guess if you are skilled enough you think you will place very well on the stage race you probably already have a XC Race bike geared to this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    St Patty's day ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB4.5C-yeti.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm up here in Northern California and looking into some enduro races. I have no problem flying down trails but I don't want to damage the nice expensive bike I just bought. Would this bike be acceptable for this kind of race? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm up here in Northern California and looking into some enduro races. I have no problem flying down trails but I don't want to damage the nice expensive bike I just bought. Would this bike be acceptable for this kind of race? Thanks
    Check out Nate Hills' videos, he does some pretty brutal riding onboard his Sb4.5c
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w6qB2KHy1rg

mtbr member
    Question about the RF Next SL crankset install on the 4.5 - this is my first press fit BB frame-up build and curious about spacers.

Am I supposed to run a small spacer on the drive side, or run the crank all the way in and use the preload adjuster to take up the slack? I ran a spacer on my 95 (but thats apples to oranges); this whole press fit thing is new to me.

I'm sure there are a ton of you running the NextSL on the 4.5 - curious what your install setup is. Thanks.
    I am running no spacer on mine.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeti SB4.5C-yeti.jpg
    Finally got my 4.5 Friday from BC. I want to say how great BC (Connor) was dealing with. I would also like to thank Skinny and Rondre for their input and respect their opinions.
    2016 Large 4.5c
    2017 Fox 140 fork
    Fox shock
    RF Next handle bar 760 mm
    Nox Teo
    Specialized slaughter R & butcher F
    RF Next SL cranks 175
    XTR rear der
    XTR shifters
    XT brakes
    Fox dropper posts 150 mm
    RF 50 mm stem

26.5 lbs +/-
    I have been sick for about 5 weeks, so definitely not in bike shape, but this bike climbed great, still dialing in suspension.

mtbr member
    I just now realized reading up on my sb4.5 suspension that the sb4.5 has a trail tune shock and a xc shock available.... I purchased my bike March 4th and the dealer in atlanta never mentioned this to me...even though he was well aware I was looking for a xc oriented bike as I was considering the ASR. My sb4.5's back shock says Tune: c9xs and has the larger volume air sleeve which online says is the trail tune shock. I primarily do xc riding and travel to rougher trail/enduro type trails as often as I can. Is this worth going through the trouble to see if yeti or the dealer will swap them for me?

mtbr member
    I just now realized reading up on my sb4.5 suspension that the sb4.5 has a trail tune shock and a xc shock available.... I purchased my bike March 4th and the dealer in atlanta never mentioned this to me...even though he was well aware I was looking for a xc oriented bike as I was considering the ASR. My sb4.5's back shock says Tune: c9xs and has the larger volume air sleeve which online says is the trail tune shock. I primarily do xc riding and travel to rougher trail/enduro type trails as often as I can. Is this worth going through the trouble to see if yeti or the dealer will swap them for me?
    I would keep the trail tune version as it's much preferred over the XC tune Evol. Just do what you did during your race and flip the lever to Trail mode when you know you'll have longer pedal section and then flip open on and descents or rocky and rough sections. You'll get used to finding the perfect moment to flip the lever as to not lose time.

The XC tune was on the 4.5 when I demoed 2 months after the bike was released and it was really firm and slightly jarring during rough sections. When I bought my frame the trail tune had been released for a few months and it was much more compliant in open mode but when flipped to trail kinda felt like the XC tune. So your really getting the best of both worlds with the tune you have.

Since I'm not racing I always leave my shock in open.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

Yeti SB4.5C

Yes this has been a hot topic. Many of us that bought frames from Competitive have the XC Shock body that has been tuned to supposedly mimic the Trail tune shock.

Try to dig around in this thread - if you see the difference in the bodies, you will know right away which one you have. Trail tune has a larger body up top.

If you have a legit Trail Tune shock and want XC I'm sure several on here would swap.

Rokworth.com

mtbr member
    I would keep the trail tune version as it's much preferred over the XC tune Evol. Just do what you did during your race and flip the lever to Trail mode when you know you'll have longer pedal section and then flip open on and descents or rocky and rough sections. You'll get used to finding the perfect moment to flip the lever as to not lose time.

The XC tune was on the 4.5 when I demoed 2 months after the bike was released and it was really firm and slightly jarring during rough sections. When I bought my frame the trail tune had been released for a few months and it was much more compliant in open mode but when flipped to trail kinda felt like the XC tune. So your really getting the best of both worlds with the tune you have.

Since I'm not racing I always leave my shock in open.
    As always thanks for your input. I just thought it was something the dealer should have mentioned to me. I'm not expecting to be winning championship xc races or anything lol as I mainly ride for fun. I just want to be slightly competitive as this is my first year getting my toes wet racing. I think I'll keep the trail tune since I travel so much. Everyone seems to like the trail tune better from what I could gather on the forums.

mtbr member
    Yes this has been a hot topic. Many of us that bought frames from Competitive have the XC Shock body that has been tuned to supposedly mimic the Trail tune shock.

Try to dig around in this thread - if you see the difference in the bodies, you will know right away which one you have. Trail tune has a larger body up top.

If you have a legit Trail Tune shock and want XC I'm sure several on here would swap.

I have the trail tune. I'm going to keep it since it does have the dps with the open and firm modes. It is a very fun ride in open on fast downhill sections. I was just very shocked to find that the dealer didn't even mention this.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    I have the trail tune. I'm going to keep it since it does have the dps with the open and firm modes. It is a very fun ride in open on fast downhill sections. I was just very shocked to find that the dealer didn't even mention this.
    I would too - I believe its way more versatile.
    Rokworth.com

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

Yeti SB4.5C

*Finally* getting around to building mine this past weekend (I've had it since December); too much work, and snow. Waiting on wheels and I'll be good to go.

Nothing too unusual with mine (it was nice having a custom painted bike for this very reason - now I'm just like everyone else), other than a MonarchPlus Debonair which I'm contemplating putting on right now before I even ride it. I will definitely try both and compare them back to back.

Yeti SB4.5C-img_1770.jpg
    Rokworth.com

mtbr member
    *Finally* getting around to building mine this past weekend (I've had it since December); too much work, and snow. Waiting on wheels and I'll be good to go.

Nothing too unusual with mine, other than a MonarchPlus Debonair which I'm contemplating putting on right now before I even ride it. I will definitely try both and compare them back to back.

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	1127541
    Looking good !! I'm in SLC at this moment for 2 weeks of work downtown and couldn't believe the 75 degree weather getting off the plane Saturday evening. I'll be heading down to Hurricane to Demo the SB5+ on Saturday which is my 1 day off from this show I'm working. I'm sure you'll be riding in no time although the melt may create some long soggy conditions when spring hits hard.
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Looking good !! I'm in SLC at this moment for 2 weeks of work downtown and couldn't believe the 75 degree weather getting off the plane Saturday evening. I'll be heading down to Hurricane to Demo the SB5+ on Saturday which is my 1 day off from this show I'm working. I'm sure you'll be riding in no time although the melt may create some long soggy conditions when spring hits hard.
    If you brought a bike (assuming you didn't) there is plenty of low-elevation stuff that is rideable already.

Rokworth.com

mtbr member
    If you brought a bike (assuming you didn't) there is plenty of low-elevation stuff that is rideable already.

I flew up as I've been all over the globe the past 3 weeks so didn't travel with a bike but I did bring all my riding gear and may also demo an SB5 V2 up here and ride corner canyon on the 31st.

I plan on doing another 7 days this August in PC and then head up to Sun Valley for my August trip. I'll be in Whistler for 10 days in July to ride my Giant Glory and SB5.5
    16' SB6c Trail Light
    16' SB6c Shock and Awe
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I should have my 4.5 built up by the end of this week...if all goes well. Once I have a few shakedown rides on it, I'll maybe sell my Spider, as much as I like it and wanted to keep it as a backup bike. I need to fund a 27.5+ bike at some point. The 4.5 should be a very well-rounded trail bike. For wheels, I'm going with Chris King hubs, Knight Composites rims, and CX Ray spokes. I'm very excited about getting it out on the trails as soon as possible, and running into other Yeti riders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Keep the trail tune! :-)
    As far as i know, all newer 4.5c do come with the trail tune.

Mine has the XC shock, i don't know if it has been "tuned" to mimic the trail tune.. but i don't care to be honest. the bike feels very good, no complaints

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried updating the XC tune or the "trail tune" CC shock with a Vorsprung Corset? I found this while digging around:
    https://www.arbutusroutes.com/2017/0...-sb4-5-review/

And it looks like this guy installed one. It might be a easy way to get a more plush ride.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    So who is running a piggyback-style shock?

Should I throw this on before I even ride it stock? I'd have to think this will soak up a lot more. But on my 95 it really hurt climbing even when the compression was closed. I'm assuming the SI will do a better job.

And by the way I just stopped at my LBS - they had a 17 4.5 with the proper Trail Tune shock. That body is so much bigger than the XC I bought from CC.

Rokworth.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just picked up a 4.5 and thought I'd share my thoughts coming from an Evil Following since I know there are people out there comparing the 2 bikes. I absolutely loved the Following. It was the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Cornering was effortless on the Evil. Downhill on the Evil was as good as many 160mm bikes I've ridden. My only gripe I ever had with the Following was with the seat tube angle. It was too slack. The bike was hard on my knees, back and ass. It wasn't a matter of getting used to it either because I rode it for nearly 2 years.

Even with the less than ideal seat tube angle, I loved the Following. I was hesitant to try the 4.5, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Since switching to the 4.5, my back, knee and ass pain is virtually gone. I finally feel like I can put in some nice long rides. There's no denying it though, the 4.5 is not as fun as the Evil. It's still a fun bike, but really not on the same level. The 4.5 also doesn't corner as well as the Evil. I have found my cornering technique has to be much more on point. I probably got a little lazy since the Evil was just so easy. I have to be much more precise with the 4.5. The 4.5 feels a bit less stable on fast, rocky downhills. I've been pretty shocked to see that the Yeti is probably faster than the Following even on some of the gnarly dh sections I ride. I still don't really know what to make of that. I feel faster and smoother on the Evil, but the Strava numbers don't lie.

All in all I'm pretty stoked. There are definitely a few concessions I've had to make, but for me the plusses far outweigh the negatives.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have a drain hole at the bottom of your bottom bracket shell? I was reading the directions for Yeti's Decal protector kit and for the bottom bracket protector decal it says "Make sure that the
    decal does not cover the bottom bracket drain hole". My 2016 4.5 does not have one and after I wash it I can turn it upside down and I get water pouring out of 2 cable ports at the top of the frame.
    16 Yeti SB4.5c
    15 S-Works Epic
    01 Cannondale F600 disc
    96 Diamondback Apex

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alewi11 View Post
    I just picked up a 4.5 and thought I'd share my thoughts coming from an Evil Following since I know there are people out there comparing the 2 bikes. I absolutely loved the Following. It was the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Cornering was effortless on the Evil. Downhill on the Evil was as good as many 160mm bikes I've ridden. My only gripe I ever had with the Following was with the seat tube angle. It was too slack. The bike was hard on my knees, back and ass. It wasn't a matter of getting used to it either because I rode it for nearly 2 years.

Even with the less than ideal seat tube angle, I loved the Following. I was hesitant to try the 4.5, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Since switching to the 4.5, my back, knee and ass pain is virtually gone. I finally feel like I can put in some nice long rides. There's no denying it though, the 4.5 is not as fun as the Evil. It's still a fun bike, but really not on the same level. The 4.5 also doesn't corner as well as the Evil. I have found my cornering technique has to be much more on point. I probably got a little lazy since the Evil was just so easy. I have to be much more precise with the 4.5. The 4.5 feels a bit less stable on fast, rocky downhills. I've been pretty shocked to see that the Yeti is probably faster than the Following even on some of the gnarly dh sections I ride. I still don't really know what to make of that. I feel faster and smoother on the Evil, but the Strava numbers don't lie.

All in all I'm pretty stoked. There are definitely a few concessions I've had to make, but for me the plusses far outweigh the negatives.
    Hmm, according to Eft seat tube angles between the two bikes is roughly the same . Unless one has a drastic actual seat tube angle which l suspect the Evil Following does by looking at pics. I had them same problem on diff bikes. How tall are you?