mtbr member

Yeti SB-66C or Ibis HD ???

I'm looking to upgrade from my 2011 Yeti 575 to either the Yeti SB-66C or Ibis HD.

I like my 575, it's especially good on the descents, but I'd like a more efficient pedaling bike for the climbs and lengthy trail rides. I ride aggressively, love the downhill, I race Super-D's, I have to pedal to the top, and I like to put in the xc miles as well.

Should I get the SB66C or the Ibis HD, and why? Which pedals more efficiently? Which descends better? Other positives/negatives of either bike?

- things I like about the Yeti SB-66: longer toptube, lower bb, nice cable routing, would fit the fork, seatpost, etc from my 575
    - things I like about the Ibis HD: more travel, proven design, it's available now, but I do not like that it has no ISCG tabs

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    My vote is for the SB-66. It is an extremely good climber. However, I'll throw this out as well. I had a Pushed Monarch RT rear shock on my '11 575 and it did wonders for that bike in the climbing and descending dept.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I doubt the carbon SB-66 will have ISCG tabs . . . . .

mtbr member
    From Bikeradar

Yeti have wisely included ISCG tabs on their new SB-66c trail bike

James Huang/BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ooo nice . . . didn't see that before.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by cwkrause View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade from my 2011 Yeti 575 to either the Yeti SB-66C or Ibis HD.

I like my 575, it's especially good on the descents, but I'd like a more efficient pedaling bike for the climbs and lengthy trail rides. I ride aggressively, love the downhill, I race Super-D's, I have to pedal to the top, and I like to put in the xc miles as well.

Should I get the SB66C or the Ibis HD, and why? Which pedals more efficiently? Which descends better? Other positives/negatives of either bike?

- things I like about the Yeti SB-66: longer toptube, lower bb, nice cable routing, would fit the fork, seatpost, etc from my 575
    - things I like about the Ibis HD: more travel, proven design, it's available now, but I do not like that it has no ISCG tabs
    I like Yeti and have a 66 on order. I demoed Mojo SL twice and they pedaled and climbed very well and were much fun however not as good as the SB IMO. So if I need to make a guess assuming HD has similar pedalling and climbing, I think Yeti wins in all performance departments.
    Ibis IMO has better reputation in Carbon Fiber frames which you should consider. You can not go wrong with either but Ibis sounds less risky while Yeti more promising. Happy decisions
    Last edited by GreenBonty; 01-13-2012 at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    I visited the Yeti HQ in Golden a few months ago. They gave me a tour of the place so I got to see all the SB66 bikes and colors. Talk about a kid in a candy store ! Really nice group of people too. They had a carbon frame on display in the shop, so i got to see it up close. I can tell you it is absolutely gorgeous. It has speed written all over it. I'm not into carbon but I have to imagine that this light carbon frame coupled with the switch suspension *will* be the new standard to beat.... for all bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode my aluminum sb-66 for 3 months this summer until the switch bearings fell out in pieces and all the rest of the bearings were notchy. Although they claim an incorrectly speced part I find it hard to believe I would ever get decent life out of those bearings and I ride hard at 185lbs I had the bike set up with 2012 36 float mostly set down to 150mm.

I sold the frame and switched to a mojo hd with all the same parts except the fork back up to full travel. I have to say the hd does everything better to me...climbs, descends, pops, and corners. It's a pound or so lighter too and I have no concerns about longevity based on what some friends have put them through. the fit on the mojo is much better without the overly long tt as well. I range both the stock rp and an Elka coil on the yeti and the stock rp is better than both on the hd but will likely go to a monarch plus anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    I rode my aluminum sb-66 for 3 months this summer until the switch bearings fell out in pieces and all the rest of the bearings were notchy. Although they claim an incorrectly speced part I find it hard to believe I would ever get decent life out of those bearings and I ride hard at 185lbs I had the bike set up with 2012 36 float mostly set down to 150mm.

I sold the frame and switched to a mojo hd with all the same parts except the fork back up to full travel. I have to say the hd does everything better to me...climbs, descends, pops, and corners. It's a pound or so lighter too and I have no concerns about longevity based on what some friends have put them through. the fit on the mojo is much better without the overly long tt as well. I range both the stock rp and an Elka coil on the yeti and the stock rp is better than both on the hd but will likely go to a monarch plus anyway.
    Gary
    Any photos of the failed switch?. It is sure news..........
    You are totaly Ibis now as it sounds, but this will be an important Yeti info.

mtbr member
    Review from Interbike 2011 Interbike Dirt Demo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    I have to say the hd does everything better to me...climbs, descends, pops, and corners. It's a pound or so lighter too and I have no concerns about longevity based on what some friends have put them through.
    Sounds great. I canceled my preorder for the SB-66C yesterday and will be getting an HD sometime by spring. Though the HD will replace my 575, I'll will still have my Big Top to keep me in the Tribe.

Also, thank you Surfas for that link to all the reviews.

mtbr member

Tough one. I love the HD and got to ride a few different set ups last year w/coil rear, 160 fork/shock, 180 fork/160 shock and the bike handled everything quite well, especially how fast and snappy it is in/out of corners with nice plush, very effective travel. With that said, I bought a SB66a w/stock shock and been hammering the heck out of it 4-5x/wk over the past couple of months and it has totally exceeded my expecations with climbing, descending, and everything in between. If I had to choose between someone given me an HD or 66a right now, but could only choose one, it would be really tough for me, but think I would still go 66a. The only reason I didn't get the HD before is mainly only cause of the 31.6 seatpost diameter since I have a 30.9 adj. post. The rest is history, totally loving my 66a w/stock shock and 30% sag on everything here in the NW!

So to break it down and if I were you I would look at it in this way perhaps:
    - If wanting bike now and mainly only want carbon= HD
    - If wanting bike now and don't care if it is carbon or not, nor the most lightest, and perhaps favor the solid reliable strength of most aluminum built frames= SB66a
    - If don't mind waiting and soley want carbon and have the extra resources= SB66c
    - If planning to use bike at bike park and maybe use a 180 fork= HD
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Tough one. I love the HD and got to ride a few different set ups last year w/coil rear, 160 fork/shock, 180 fork/160 shock and the bike handled everything quite well, especially how fast and snappy it is in/out of corners with nice plush, very effective travel
    Great to hear they are both fantastic bikes. Guess I can't go wrong with either one; my decision is going to be HD.

Since you have ridden the HD with both a 160 and 180 fork, would you mind telling me how differently it rode? With the 180 did the bike feel more sluggish/less efficient when riding flat terrain and up hills compared to the 160? I'm trying to decide whether to get a 160 or 170 fork; a 180 is really probably more than I need. I'll be riding up just as much as down, plus lots of rolling terrain.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Great to hear they are both fantastic bikes. Guess I can't go wrong with either one; my decision is going to be HD.

Since you have ridden the HD with both a 160 and 180 fork, would you mind telling me how differently it rode? With the 180 did the bike feel more sluggish/less efficient when riding flat terrain and up hills compared to the 160? I'm trying to decide whether to get a 160 or 170 fork; a 180 is really probably more than I need. I'll be riding up just as much as down, plus lots of rolling terrain.

Thanks!
    180 was a little sluggish going up the hill and not as snappy coming down the trail, especially in/out of tight corners, but in wide open gravity-type terrain, I am sure it is the bomb set-up for that.

If it were me, it would more than likely be 170 and call it good to slack the front end some and since I have a Lyrik DH 170/160 fork. If too tall at the BB, then 160 with tapered head angle set to slack it and lower it more, but that is how I like my bikes. My SB66a is sporting a 65.4* HTA with 13.75" BB and still think it is a little on the high side for me even with 30% sag. So, in the end it's all about personal preference with set-up. I like bikes that are lower, slack and plush with great pedalling characteristics and the SB66 delivers
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Similiar thread last year
    Decisions: SB-66 or Mojo HD

Both great bikes in my opinion, I clearly liked the SB-66 better.