Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Yeti SB-66 Build thread

603K views 2K replies 367 participants last post by  usmceric1 
#1 · (Edited)
I went a little overboard on this, but I can't wait

I should hopefully get the frame in August ( missed the first batch ), which is no big deal the wheels will take that long to get anyway.

This will be replacing my Large 09 Giant Reign X1 ( which is to small for me ), some of the parts are parts I had already. I am 6'6" 225 and like to ride everything there is. XC trails, Downhill, light freeride ( Post canyon, but none of the huge crazy stuff there, aka barn drop no way :) )

Frame: XL Yeti SB-66 Black
Fork: Fox 36 160mm FLOAT RLC
65.9 deg head angle
Shock: DHX RC4 Coil ( will be selling the RP23 Air )
142x12mm Axle Kit
Headset: Cane Creek 40
Stem: Easton Havoc 50mm
Bars: Race Face Atlas FR
Seat: Chromag Trail-master DT
Brakes: Shimano XT 180mm/180mm
Sticking with 2x9 speed 24/36 - 11/34
Shifters: SRAM X9
Front Der: Shimano XT
Rear Der. SRAM X9 medium cage
Bashguard: MRP- LRP shift able chain-guide
Cranks/BB: Race Face Atlas FR
Rings: 24/36 Blackspire Superpros
Wheels: Industry 9 Enduro ( White rims, black spokes, orange hubs )
Pedals: Spank Spike Flats.
Tires: 2.4 Panaracer Fire FR ( if they fit )

What are others build plans? spill it!

See less See more
#2 ·
Going from an XL 2006 Spec Enduro

XL SB-66 Black or Turquoise
Fox TALAS 160 RC2 (no lock out)
RP23 or CCDB
Easton Havoc UST wheels (142 x 12)
Shimano XTR trail or Formula The ONE brakes
Shimano IceTec 6 bolt rotors
XTR M970 shifters and RD
XT M770 11-34 casette
Race Face SixC cranks 36/22
Gamut Guide
Renthal 50mm stem and 780 bars
KS SuperNatural Post
Maxxis Minion EXO DHR (tubeless)
Maxxis Advantage 2.25 (tubeless)

If I want to go light I might for with Easton Haven Carbon wheels. Although I could lose almost of bike weight's worth off my stomach.

#3 · (Edited)
Anyone getting an SB-66 and downsizing? I have a medium frame right now with the same specs as the small SB-66 (stem is already short).

Whatever I get, it will include:

RS Revelation RLT Ti 150mm
Stans Flow rear wheel
Transition 25 front wheel
Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 rear
SLX cranks with 32t ring
SLX Shadow rear derailleur
XT shifter
Sram 11-34 cassette
Gamut chainguide
Formula Oro K24 brakes
Gravity Dropper Turbo
FSA Gravity Light bar
WTB Silverado saddle
Sunline V1 AM stem 65mm
Time ATAC pedals

#4 ·
I went a little overboard on this, but I can't wait

I should hopefully get the frame in August ( missed the first batch ), which is no big deal the wheels will take that long to get anyway.

This will be replacing my Large 09 Giant Reign X1 ( which is to small for me ), some of the parts are parts I had already. I am 6'6" 225 and like to ride everything there is. XC trails, Downhill, light freeride ( Post canyon, but none of the huge crazy stuff there, aka barn drop no way :) )

Frame: XL Yeti SB-66 Black
Fork: Fox 36 160mm FLOAT
65.9 deg head angle
Shock: DHX RC4 Coil ( will be selling the RP23 Air )
142x12mm Axle Kit
Headset: Cane Creek 40
Stem: Easton Havoc
Bars: Race Face Atlas FR
Brakes: Shimano XT 180mm/180mm
Sticking with 2x9 speed 24/36 - 11/34
Front Der: Shimano XT
Rear Der. SRAM X9 medium cage
Bashguard: MRP- LRP shift able chain-guide
Cranks/BB: Race Face Atlas FR
Wheels: Industry 9 Enduro

I need front chain rings ( 24/36), tires and a seat.. any suggestions? Might just go with the WTB yeti seat. Kenda nevegals maybe.

What are others build plans? spill it!
Awesome! Congrats on the new ride KTM!

I have had good luck with Blackspire Superpro 24/36 rings, Specialized or Maxxis Tires (Clutch, Eskar or Minion DHF). Seat: Chromag Trailmaster. Don't waste your time with Nevegals, way overated for average performance that pinch and fail quite easily (unless going 2-ply of course).

Enjoy the new ride. I am still waiting for my new frame from Banshee, but not in a big rush, since I am in a knee immobilizer with torn ACL at the moment, just in time for summer :mad:

#12 ·
Thanks Jgusta, I decided to try the Chromag trailmaster DT seat in white. Really wanted the orange but can't find it anywhere.

Also got the blackspire suprpros rings.

For Tires I decided to give the Panaracer Fire Freeride tires a whirl. 2.4 I hope they fit!

#6 ·
Coming from an '11 575 so it better be really good...

Frame: Large Black SB-66
Fork: Fox Float 150 RLC
Shock: Stock for now
142x12mm Axle Kit
Headset: Cane Creek 110
Stem: Easton Haven 70mm
Bars: Easton Haven Carbon
Brakes: Shimano XTR Trail 180 front /160 rear
Cranks: XTR triple
Shifters: XTR
Front Der: XTR
Rear Der. XTR
Wheels: DT Swiss Tricon 1550
Tires: TBD

Supposed to ship on 7.1 and I'm supposed to leave for Tahoe for a week on 7.2. I may have to schlep the parts up and build the thing. Can't think of a better place to run it in.

#10 ·
Does anyone have anymore info on what ISCG tabs the bikes/frames comes with? I was told none. I know its removable/interchangeable.

I need the 05 tabs.

Yeti didn't seem to even know yet.

It would be real nice if they gave you all 3 blank, iscg, iscg 05..but I doubt it :)

LBS is working on getting the 05's for me when the ship date is closer.

#15 ·
Thanks I saw that, but I hate ordering from that far away( chain reaction ).

Got the white for a lot less at universalcycles, which is pretty much local to me.

It was all good until right there.

Put some Fat Alberts or Trail Kings on.
I decided to try panaracer fire Freeride's they look meaty!

#16 ·
I'm looking to build up an SB-66. I've been looking at Wrench Science and Competitive Cyclist. Anybody have a recommendation between the two?

It also seems like a stock kit from Yeti such as the X9/X0 kit is a better deal than what Wrench or Competitive can do. My only issue with the stock kit is that I want a 160 fork but I could always sell and swap the 150 out.

Just curious what you all think.

Thanks

#17 ·
I'm looking to build up an SB-66. I've been looking at Wrench Science and Competitive Cyclist. Anybody have a recommendation between the two?

It also seems like a stock kit from Yeti such as the X9/X0 kit is a better deal than what Wrench or Competitive can do. My only issue with the stock kit is that I want a 160 fork but I could always sell and swap the 150 out.

Just curious what you all think.

Thanks
Buy frame from Competitive cyclist, components from Universal cycles, chainreaction cycles and Ebay, and build yourself. With coupons and some searching it will be cheaper.

#18 ·
I recommend competitive cyclist. They've been very responsive and helpful. I ordered both my 575 and SB66 from them. My 575 didn't work out since it came with a DHX air rather than the normal RP23. I could never get it set up to my liking. I sent back and bought a SB66 that is scheduled for delivery next week. They're running a 15% off all components right now thru July 1st.

#19 ·
Invisible Bike!

Most of my parts are here. Exept the main one ( frame lol probably a month of invisible biking! )

Good suggestions on ordering parts with coupons/ebay..etc...although mine definitly did NOT end up cheaper than the pre-made yeti kits. ( Mainly due to the frame + fork + coil shock swap, and wheels I ordered )

Pile

Crank Bling.. Did I install the middle ring right? I couldn't figure out if it made any difference what way it goes on.

#20 ·
The tab that is on the inner chainring should be behind the crankarm. It's hard to tell in the pic, but I think this is the tab. Let me know how it works out, I had a terrible experience with those Super Pro rings and a Shimano chain. Ditched the bling rings for standard Deore rings and never had a shifting issue again.

#21 · (Edited)
The tab that is on the inner chainring should be behind the crankarm. It's hard to tell in the pic, but I think this is the tab. Let me know how it works out, I had a terrible experience with those Super Pro rings and a Shimano chain. Ditched the bling rings for standard Deore rings and never had a shifting issue again.
Tab on the small ring? or middle ring. The small ring has no tabs or markings anywhere it looks exactly the same all around.

is the mid ring what your talking about? I'll have to look again.

EDIT: I think i see the tab your talking about on the mid ring in this random google picture https://lh4.ggpht.com/Kevin.Rants/SAVhTnvEpZI/AAAAAAAABjw/lH0g00hkGH4/IMG_2941.JPG

Edit2: Got it in the right orientation now thanks!

#23 ·
Coming off an 07 Stumpjumper expert. Should be rolling first week of August!

Frame: Large Turq SB-66
Fork: Fox Talas 150 R
Shock: Stock
Headset: Chris King Inset
Bottom Bracket: Chris King
Stem: Thomson X4 70mm
Bars: Easton EC70 Carbon
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 (203f, 185r)
Cranks: XT triple (Going to run 2x9)
Front Der: XT Direct
Rear Der: SRAM X0
Hubs: Chris King (15QR and fun bolts)
Rims: Mavic 819
Tires: Nobbly Nic 2.25
Pedals: XT Trail

#25 ·
Any word on real delivery dates? My birthday was on Saturday and my wife surprised me with a picture of a SB66 inside of my Garmin Edge 800 box. What amazing birthday!!

I'll have an XL 2010 575 frame for sale when I find out the delivery dates on an XL SB66 in black.

My build will go something like this:

SB66, XL, Black
2012 Fox 36 Talas taper
King or CC 110 headset
Crossmax ST wheelset (20mm front) or XT 776 for burlier rides
Reverb post
Gobi XM carbon railed saddle
Misc Maxxis tires (mostly protos - loving the Ardent T/R's right now)
XTR trail brakeset
XTR 980 shifters
XT cranks 2X10
XTR trail pedals
RF SixC handlebar
RF Atlas stem
XT shadow RD (until I can get an XTR Shadow Plus)
KMC X10SL chain
King BB

Should be a sweet ride and likely 29-30 lbs.

#26 ·
Any word on real delivery dates? My birthday was on Saturday and my wife surprised me with a picture of a SB66 inside of my Garmin Edge 800 box. What amazing birthday!!
Happy birthday.

I ordered my frame 2+ weeks ago from a local bike shop. I was told "probably" the first week of august.

Apparently the first batch is going out this week but as of two weeks ago when I ordered that batch was totally sold already.

#27 ·
I recently had my bike stolen from my garage, UZZI VPX baby blue, setup for DH/FR. I am now very interested in a do everything lighter, more ridable rig. My local bike shop highly recommended the Yeti SB 66. The bikes of choice are the SB66 or the SC Nomad Carbon.

Here is my setup....

Frame: M Yeti SB-66 Black/White
Fork: Fox 36 180 Talas
Shock: DHX Air or DHX RC4
Cane Creek AngleSet
Industry 9 AM Wheelset (white rim)
142x12mm Axle Kit
Stem: Race Face
Bars: Easton Haven
Brakes: Formula The One
Shifters: Shimano XTR
Front Der: Shimano XTR
Rear Der. Shimano XTR
Bashguard: MRP
Cranks: Race Face Atlas FR
Tires: TBD
Pedals: TBD

I am off to my bike shop this afternoon for a chat and to hopefully place my order!

E

#29 ·
Should take it to just about 65 degrees up front and raise the BB up about 1/4". Would be pretty nice for really steep, rocky DH terrain, but may want to steepen it up some if doing a lot of climbing and lot of AM/trail riding, cause the STA will slacken as well and can affect climbing while seated.

BTW, just got my new 11' Rune (warranty replacement) today from UPS even though I have to wait at least 4-6 months before I can ride again due to recent injury. It's a trip to have the summer season as my "off" time. Thank god I was able to hit the dirt about 3x's/week all year long prior.

Enjoy your SB-66, looks sick and definitely a bike I would like to spend some time on someday.

#179 ·
This is what I was told too. I would think it would be too slack with a 180 anyway, and a bit unbalanced with 150 rear. 65.9 is a great HA for all around riding with a bias towards DH. 17mm=1 degree so going with a 180 fork would set it at 64.5ish. I love slack bikes, but that's too slack for all around riding IMO. My nomad sits at 65.5 with a 180 and it's manageable on steep climbs but the front end floats a lot. Another degree slacker and it would be annoying on the ups, and the steering would be so slow it would be tough to negotiate slow tech terrain.

It's a bit odd that 180 voids the warranty because frame weight is basically the same as a nomad which is rated for a 180?

#35 ·
It certainly wouldn't be surprising that a 180mm fork would void the warranty. Wrong fork for the bike for sure.

This is an AM bike that is supposed to pedal very well up and rip down so why put a monster fork on it? Wait until they release a SB-76 (7" travel, 26" wheels) version that will be burly enough to handle such a big fork.

#38 ·
#41 ·
How about the iscg mounts?

they are separate from the bb shell and held in place by a spline .....are they included or an upcharge?
I don't know yet. I asked a couple weeks ago and they said you don't get any but they didn't really know. But some reviews I read said you get the 05 one and the others are additional.

I hope it comes with the 05 at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.