Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1363
    Zaf
    mtbr member

Re: Yeti SB-66 Build thread

Just a few more shots of the bike after I lowered the fork and put it through its first crash.

LCW
    mtbr member

Yeti SB-66 Build thread

How's the 'zoke? Sweet bike!
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

Zaf
    mtbr member

Re: Yeti SB-66 Build thread

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    How's the 'zoke? Sweet bike!
    Still running it in. But feels great, really plush, super stiff. The fork has a bit of a heft to it, but you can feel every bit of why it's there in how it tracks, it just didn't falter.

Had my first crash, and annoyingly put a scratch on the frame on the one spot that is not covered with a protector. Oh well, breaks her in, just disappointed it happened so soon, too such a pretty bike.

The brakes feel great, like a well modulated XT brake, longer lever throw with a really good ramp up in power toward the end.

Also, my God this bike loves to just charge. I'm sure you all know what I mean, when you throw a leg over and start the bike rolling, and you grin and think "I am on the super bike sixty six!"

mtbr member
    Yeti SB-66 Build thread-wp_20140808_005.jpg
    Yeti SB-66 Build thread-wp_20140808_008.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamkob32 View Post
    ...The Pike 150mm Solo was great on the first outing and I just received the new 2015 Monarch+ RC3 Debonair last night and got that bolted in. The rear shock feels a ton more supportive then the old Fox CTD early in the travel. It does feel like it takes larger hits in a very similar fashion though, bottomless on this bike. ...

--Adam
    I just ordered the Med tune 2015 Monarch + Debonair... how many volume spacers are you running in yours? I'm guessing that with the bigger air can, I'll need at least a few, but was hoping to get a "starting point" from you. Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT77 View Post
    I just ordered the Med tune 2015 Monarch + Debonair... how many volume spacers are you running in yours? I'm guessing that with the bigger air can, I'll need at least a few, but was hoping to get a "starting point" from you. Thanks!!!
    Well since I only come in at 135lbs suited up I am actually not running any spacers in mine and I am aired up to I think 90-95psi which is about 30-35% sag in the rear. I usually run the compression in the middle setting if I'm on trail and wide open for the faster downhill parts. Rebound is set towards the slower end as well but I've been consistently bumping that a bit faster here and there. I'll use up all the travel available in both of those settings.

I've been having a hard time finding the spacers for the rear. I would like to experiment with them. The local shop is supposed to get some in for me soon. If I could get it to run the same sag but be a bit tougher to get through all the travel I would be thrilled.

--Adam

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by adamkob32 View Post
    Well since I only come in at 135lbs suited up I am actually not running any spacers in mine and I am aired up to I think 90-95psi which is about 30-35% sag in the rear. I usually run the compression in the middle setting if I'm on trail and wide open for the faster downhill parts. Rebound is set towards the slower end as well but I've been consistently bumping that a bit faster here and there. I'll use up all the travel available in both of those settings.

I've been having a hard time finding the spacers for the rear. I would like to experiment with them. The local shop is supposed to get some in for me soon. If I could get it to run the same sag but be a bit tougher to get through all the travel I would be thrilled.

--Adam
    Adam are you running a medium tune as well?

I am running a Vivid air medium tune with about 3-4 rides on it and just ordered a medium tune Monarch plus Debonair. The Vivid soak up EVERYTHING to the point where I over-ride the Pikes ability to have fun. Gonna down size to keep it more compatible. If I was running a 160 35 or 36 I think it would be a different story.

Any hard hitters out there, 2014 Vivid Air Medium tune 3-4 rides coming up for sale....FWIW... RIDE on!

Mr. Knowitall
    I was on Low tune on my SB66... That was according to RS' chart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagtech360 View Post
    Adam are you running a medium tune as well?

I am running a Vivid air medium tune with about 3-4 rides on it and just ordered a medium tune Monarch plus Debonair. The Vivid soak up EVERYTHING to the point where I over-ride the Pikes ability to have fun. Gonna down size to keep it more compatible. If I was running a 160 35 or 36 I think it would be a different story.

Any hard hitters out there, 2014 Vivid Air Medium tune 3-4 rides coming up for sale....FWIW... RIDE on!
    I am running a Low Compression and Mid Rebound on mine.

mtbr member
    My LBS called Yeti, and they recommended Med.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT77 View Post
    My LBS called Yeti, and they recommended Med.
    Medium compression or rebound?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43 View Post
    Medium compression or rebound?
    Compression.

This is the only chart I've seen online: Compression Tune Reference Chart Bike Components de

The 66 is kind of in the middle between L and M on the chart

mtbr member
    Yep I went with low due to my weight honestly. If I was slightly more I'd go mid/mid. It's been fantastic for me so far.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Are folks still having issues with the 2013 rear alloy triangles? The deals are tempting right now. But concerned over cracking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Finished my build last week... thank you so much for all your awesome photos and details, got some great ideas from all these posts. I bought the frame after a few beers one night while browsing Competitive Cyclist... then it snowballed into a massive 'dream bike' build.

2014 SB66 large alloy/carbon
    2014 Pike RCT3 150mm
    Fox RP23 CTD kashima
    Cane Creek 40 ZS44/56 headset
    RaceFace SIXC bars
    RaceFace Atlas stem 50mm
    XTR M986 Front derailleur
    XTR M986 Rear derailleur
    XTR M985 2x10 race crank
    XTR BB93 bottom bracket
    XTR M980 11-34t cassette
    XTR M980 shifters
    Formula USA RX 180mm brakes
    Easton Haven 26" wheels
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5" front
    Maxxis Minion DHR2 2.3" rear
    ODI Yeti grips
    Chromag Trailmaster DT saddle
    Crank Brothers Mallet 2 pedals
    K-edge garmin mount

This bike is just magic... never been on anything that will roll so much speed through stuff that you'd never think you could blast through. Few issues I have at the moment are smashing the cranks on literally everything, I just have to get used to thinking about BB clearance. Also, the XTR race cranks are rubbing the swingarm on the drive side just a bit, need to shim it out. The bars at 780mm are just too much, starting to hurt my wrists a bit and hit every tree so I'm going to cut 15mm off each side and see how that helps. Already had one good crash on it last week... I'm carrying at least 5-8mph more speed through my favorite trails and it surprised me in some spots.

I don't like the RP23... it seems to be way under damped compared to the Pike in the front. It's at 180psi for my 190lb weight, with more rebound than Yeti suggests, and it still feels too open. Any suggestions before I put a DBair on it? And after riding my friend's specialized with a dropper post I'm sold on that... Reverb seems to be the weapon of choice so that'll probably be next. Wheels are a placeholder from another bike until the Industry Nine Enduro 26s get built, hope to have them on mid september.

Here's a quick video from our local bike park:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitjockey View Post

I don't like the RP23... it seems to be way under damped compared to the Pike in the front. It's at 180psi for my 190lb weight, with more rebound than Yeti suggests, and it still feels too open. Any suggestions before I put a DBair on it? And after riding my friend's specialized with a dropper post I'm sold on that... Reverb seems to be the weapon of choice so that'll probably be next. Wheels are a placeholder from another bike until the Industry Nine Enduro 26s get built, hope to have them on mid september.
    >
    Same thing for my on my build. Putting some volume reducing spacers in helped the shock a bit, but I decided to order a Monarch +. That fox shock is just outgunned by the Pike on that bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post

Just a few more shots of the bike after I lowered the fork and put it through its first crash.
    I love the matching decals. I was going to get an SB66c but now they have that new SB5C and 6C. so tempting!
    Marzocchi USA
    1800-227-5579
    www.marzocchi.com

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marzocchi_USA View Post
    I love the matching decals. I was going to get an SB66c but now they have that new SB5C and 6C. so tempting!

The decals came up really well on the bike. I was really stressing over whether or not to get both the M and the logo in Yeti Turquoise, but in the end settled on a gloss black MARZOCCHI and a Turquoise M so it just accents the fork and I'm pretty chuffed with how it turned out.

Still recovering from an injury at the moment, hoping to get on the bike this weekend. Was coming down a fairly familiar track, loose and rocky, was living the SB-66 dream and just letting off the brakes that little bit more, misjudged my speed and commitment to the corner I was entering and it spat me out a bit wide on the exit, and I was looking to set up into the next corner, and the back end of the bike kicked off the edge of the track and then the front followed. Ground sky, ground sky, ground sky pain.

Bike dropped me on the track going 42.6km/h, forearm hit first then my right arm rolled underneath me and my shoulder took a lot of damage. Walked the bike out as my right arm couldn't support my weight to ride, and the terrain was too rocky for one handed riding. Spent the night in the ED dripping blood everywhere and having my damage assessed. Lucked out with just soft tissue damage, kind of a decent sprain, but no impingement of the joint. Been off the bike for a couple of days just smashing NSAIDs and resting up, but got a fair bit of movement (without pain) and strength back in the arm so hoping to get some light riding in this weekend, and i'll be pit ***** for a mates race.

There really is something about this bike, I thought my Fuel EX was a super capable bike, and it is, but the SB66 just makes you feel like goddamned superman in the way it handles any terrain. It is beyond stiff, and it just begs you to make it go faster and throw it through tough lines. It doesn't like being babied either, be forceful and direct and the bike just comes alive. I don't feel it's 14kg (30lbs) weight either, she wears it really well, and the traction on this thing is just incredible. I know it's probably still honeymoon period in owning this thing, but every time I put my leg over it, all I can think is "I'm riding, the Super Bike SIXTY SIX!!!"...living the dream guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ouch!! I wrecked mine hard too this past weekend at Mountain Creek NJ... as fast as this bike rides, the paint seems to chip off the frame just as fast. but I don't even care. It's absolute ****ing bliss when bombing down something insane. love it.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I am so totally in love with this bike. There is one thing really playing on my mind though...I'm about ready to sell my Fuel EX AND my Superfly (the Superfly was getting sold anyway) to buy a SB66C frame and be a one bike man. Competitive Cyclist still have them in my size, and the alloy already is enough of a bike that I can't see the point riding the others anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Doooo it! One bike to rule them all...

LCW
    mtbr member
    I used to think a 1-bike do-it-all quiver was awesome. Until my rear shock needed servicing and I was without a bike.

IMHO - don't do it Zaf. Not worth it. Save up for an ASRc, SB5c or SB6c... something like that - those are just examples of what *I'd* get, and hopefully by spring, I will do just that.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I can't afford an ASRc, SB5c or SB6c. We're talking about $2000AUD delivered with headset and rear axle for an SB66C frame.
    And there's no plan to sell the SB66A frame at this point, so I can hold onto that as a spare, but I'd be pulling across the Float X to the Carbon frame anyway.

What actually spawned this, was looking into getting a Blur TRC frame and transfer my Fuel EX parts across to it, but the more I looked at it, the more I saw that the SB66C would be a better option in every regard, and then it just makes the Fuel EX redundant, as it would be a lighter 150mm bike than my 120mm trail bike (even with the burly Float X, Race Face Atlas, E-Thirteen setup on it). The Superfly doesn't get ridden much anymore anyway, so I was going to sell her anyway.

Also fits in with my plans a little better. I'm planning to head back and finish my degree at the end of next year, single bike makes that a LOT easier. Saving up in the mean time, this was my final purchase for a while that wasn't maintenance based, it's also important for me to buy a bike with any money made from selling the Fuel EX, as that was bought with inheritance money, so I feel the nature of the purchase needs to stay the same.

Anyway, thinking about it pretty seriously, but I think I'm going to go ahead with it. Even with the SB5c's and SB6c's out there...it's still a Superbike.

kik
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My new frame:

Yeti SB-66 Build thread-img_0018.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kik View Post
    My new frame:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	188.5 KB