Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Yeti sb66

Ordered the yeti sb66 xt race bike from Jensen 8/6 for my bday. I like the way this bike is equipped for the four-and-a-half and change. Light enough to race xc locally and fun enough to bomb some big bear/Arizona/Utah back country. Coming off a Titus motolite that I have been riding literally into the ground. Tried a lot of bikes and almost got seduced by the 29'er trend -- just couldn't find a big roller that had enough travel. Combine that with my riding style which is not "roll on through" and is much more motocross (I ride a KTM 450) and the 6-6 is perfect for me. Now I just wanna create a space in my life to get this bike to Colorado fir a week under the canopy flow. Jensen appears to be sensitive to reports that they are not meeting time deadlines, as they contact me weekly to let me know that my sept 15 arrival is on track. I have heard reports that 1) their bikes come badly tuned or 2) their bikes come competently tuned as a "deliver to your door" experience. Can anyone here weigh in on the tune of Jensen bikes when they arrive " shipped to your door"? Excited like a teen waiting for his first date with that hottie he has been fixated on all semester.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    What size frame is suitable for someone 5ft 11 - 6ft?

Thanks
    Let me google that for you

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snigs View Post
    Or, alternatively, borderline medium/large, observing that the top tubes are long for the size.

Mr. Knowitall
    With a slack head angle, a long top tube is not necessarily wrong. Long, low and slack is nuskool, and there is a reason why

aka...appBLING72
    Well, I finally received the news I've been wanting to hear...."Frame shipped!!!"

Yes, my lime medium SB66 will be here next Wednesday just in time for labor day weekend! Can't wait. Pics will be posted of the build once completed with ride reports to follow.

Super pumped!!

Broke as a joke
    Jun 2009
    So jealous of you guys. Can't wait until I have an extra million $'s to build up a sweet ass bike.

mtbr member
    The wait is over! My bike is in my hands!

Don't have time to ride it tonight but.. I can't wait, will ride in the morning after I tweak a few things on it. Thanks to Sunnyside sports in Bend for putting up with my weekly where is it harassment

Pic Dump.

Pedals.. been waiting for these for quite awhile too they look perfect big size, thing..Can't wait to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    hucknroll has some new enduro builds in stock. all lime green though.

anyone know where to find a large black enduro build?

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Wow! That bike looks fantastic. L frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBY View Post
    Wow! That bike looks fantastic. L frame?
    Thanks yea, it came out even better than I thought in my mind.

No its an XL, i am 6'6".. Only had time to ride it around in the street its a biiig bike. I think I will love it though I don't feel all crammed up even with a 50mm stem. Coming from a 09 giant reign x1 it feels way bigger. My giant was a large and I was really crammed on it.

Gotta fix the post remote cable length ( LBS hooked me up though ) and adjust my sag...etc. then get some!

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    The wait is over! My bike is in my hands!

Don't have time to ride it tonight but.. I can't wait, will ride in the morning after I tweak a few things on it. Thanks to Sunnyside sports in Bend for putting up with my weekly where is it harassment

Pic Dump.

Pedals.. been waiting for these for quite awhile too they look perfect big size, thing..Can't wait to ride.
    Wow man. That's is sweet! You gotta let me know what you think of the coil. I'm having Craig at Avalanche build me a shock for mine too. But, he can't get anyone at Yeti to help him with leverage curves so he can tune it right. Oh well, trial and error! Nice build dude!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72 View Post
    Wow man. That's is sweet! You gotta let me know what you think of the coil. I'm having Craig at Avalanche build me a shock for mine too. But, he can't get anyone at Yeti to help him with leverage curves so he can tune it right. Oh well, trial and error! Nice build dude!
    Leverage ratio shouldn't be a mystery (courtesy of PinkBike):

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    Leverage ratio shouldn't be a mystery (courtesy of PinkBike):
    Ive seen that. However, not being the suspension expert myself, according to Craig at Avalanche who I would say is, these pictures don't give all the detail needed to properly valve a shock. Not to mention how does anyone really know that these are accurate. Hesimply needs to speak to someone to find out the progressive nature of te curve and if he needs to account for specifics like that in the valving. Again, I'm no expert, but I would hope that Yeti would accommodate another industry professional with the information he needs to valve a shock. Craig is friends with Dave and has insight to these things I'm sure the general public isn't even aware of. FWIW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinogod View Post
    I have heard reports that 1) their bikes come badly tuned or 2) their bikes come competently tuned as a "deliver to your door" experience. Can anyone here weigh in on the tune of Jensen bikes when they arrive " shipped to your door"? Excited like a teen waiting for his first date with that hottie he has been fixated on all semester.
    Just thought I would comment on this as I just got my ASR 5 from them yesterday.

I think their tune pretty much extends to derailleur adjustment. My bike shifts great (at least in the minimal amount of riding I did yesterday). That said, I needed to realign the rear brake pads which were rubbing quite badly, and the front brake needs to be bled. All things I would expect an lbs to take care of before I took delivery of the bike.

All in all, I would have preferred to get the bike from an LBS, but I don't have one that sells Yeti.

Rides a Bike
    I got my hands on the Aussie distributor's own SB-66 frame today (just ahead of being built). I'll be making a custom kit for it this weekend but it's so nice I wish it came built so I could go out and do some skids...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB-66 Build thread-img_0379.jpg  

Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy2807 View Post
    I got my hands on the Aussie distributor's own SB-66 frame today (just ahead of being built). I'll be making a custom kit for it this weekend but it's so nice I wish it came built so I could go out and do some skids...
    Nice man! How do you like the lime in person? Can't wait to get my frame next week. All lime and black.

mtbr member
    I noticed some of you are running a lot less headset stack than me how can you do that? my brake levers just hardly clear the frame when my bars turn as it is. Not that I need to lower mine just curious.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I noticed some of you are running a lot less headset stack than me how can you do that? my brake levers just hardly clear the frame when my bars turn as it is. Not that I need to lower mine just curious.
    It's a long bike, as we all know. My take on that is to run long and low and attack with the weight over the fork. You can probably go more AM with a heavy, longer fork, a tractor front tyre and higher bar position. Doesn't work for my riding that has a lot of technical twisties.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    does anyone have any idea if the sb66 is angleset compatible??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    does anyone have any idea if the sb66 is angleset compatible??
    Yep, found here:
    Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Components :: Headsets
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    It's a long bike, as we all know. My take on that is to run long and low and attack with the weight over the fork. You can probably go more AM with a heavy, longer fork, a tractor front tyre and higher bar position. Doesn't work for my riding that has a lot of technical twisties.

Yea but how are some people in this thread with low stack height not dinging the hell out of their frame if they turn the bars past 90degrees. Don't your levers hit the frame? Mine barley clear the frame but I have a higher stack height by the looks of the pic here. .25" rise bars.

Rides a Bike

Lovin' the Lime

Nice man! How do you like the lime in person? Can't wait to get my frame next week. All lime and black.
    The Lime frame is gorgeous. I am seriously thinking I need a 6" bike now. I was told there'll be a few demo bikes coming to town within the next fortnight, so i'll get to throw a leg over one then. Here's a few detail pics with a Frameskin kit fitted. Al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB-66 Build thread-p1030967_2.jpg  

Yeti SB-66 Build thread-p1030971_2.jpg  

Yeti SB-66 Build thread-p1030976_2.jpg  

Yeti SB-66 Build thread-p1030911.jpg  

Yeti SB-66 Build thread-p1030984_2.jpg  

Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com

mtbr member
    SWeet! is that helicopter tape? I got some and after about 30 minutes of trying to cut a perfect shape for one piece I gave up. Those look pre cut? I did put some up by the head-tube for the cables thats about it.

To late for mine now its already got its break in scratches.

Edit: never-mind frameskin kit?

mtbr member
    Yes, but you can only run a straight 1-1/8" steerer tube fork. The angle set will not work with a tapered steerer.(unless you have a bike with a full 1.5 headtube)

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy2807 View Post
    The Lime frame is gorgeous. I am seriously thinking I need a 6" bike now. I was told there'll be a few demo bikes coming to town within the next fortnight, so i'll get to throw a leg over one then. Here's a few detail pics with a Frameskin kit fitted. Al.
    Where do I get that frameskin kit? That's nice. I've been using sine 3M stuff and cutting it to fit but that is the bomb! Hit me back

Rides a Bike
    Those look pre cut?
    Yep, I design custom-shaped pre-cut kits which make it easier to fit and protects all the key areas of the frame. It took a while to do, but I'm really happy with the result. There are some more pics... follow the link in my signature block. Enjoy.
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com

mtbr member
    Where do I get that frameskin kit? That's nice. I've been using sine 3M stuff and cutting it to fit but that is the bomb! Hit me back
    I googled it. Frameskin

And its in his sig.

Cool! Wish I saw this before...but oh well I got some scuffs/dings already adds to the flavor!

Fishboy: are those kits one size fit all? seems like the XL and small frames would have quite a bit diffrent down tube..and some other parts?
    Last edited by KTMDirtFace; 08-27-2011 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdiers View Post
    Yes, but you can only run a straight 1-1/8" steerer tube fork. The angle set will not work with a tapered steerer.(unless you have a bike with a full 1.5 headtube)
    Nope, the Angleset is compatible with a tapered, Zerostack 44/56 config. See post 220 for the direct link.
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    Ya, but look at the crown race demensions. It will only work with an 1-1/8" fork the crown race is a reducing one. There is physically not enough room to have a tapered steerer and achive the offset that the headset requires to get up to 1.5 degrees of off-set.(with a zero stack design like the SB-66 uses)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yea but how are some people in this thread with low stack height not dinging the hell out of their frame if they turn the bars past 90degrees. Don't your levers hit the frame? Mine barley clear the frame but I have a higher stack height by the looks of the pic here. .25" rise bars.
    I went back to it and see what you mean. My levers clear only with a 10mm spacer so I've put one back in.

On the first couple of rides I was struggling to get the front end to behave and the low front end was my attempt to fix that. I've now given up on the Fat Albert and fitted a tubeless Rubber Queen up front. This had also let me soften the fork very slightly and the grip and control are everything I could hope for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyd3487 View Post
    hucknroll has some new enduro builds in stock. all lime green though.

anyone know where to find a large black enduro build?
    Singletrack Factory in Denver had several built up black frames when I called last week. They will ship completes, but wouldn't part out a frame only. If you're looking for complete bikes give them a shout. I had trouble finding available SB's anywhere in CA, but they had a bunch and Sports Garage in Boulder also had them available...perhaps because of proximity to Yeti?
    good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Love the black and orange. that was my plan as well. I have a custom valved Z1 RC2 with the orange anniversary paint job that would have looked killer against the black. I ended up landing on a turquoise frame. I hate the Miami Dolphins, so the Z1 may have to go!

[QUOTE=KTMDirtFace;8374893]The wait is over! My bike is in my hands!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Yeti paint finish

Hi, just got back from my third ride on my Yeti, and apart from loving it because it's made my riding so much more fun, I'm shocked at how much cosmetic damage it's picked up in such a short time. Admittedly I live in the Peak District, which is renowned for being hard on kit 'cos of the grit - it gets everywhere, in bearings, seals, and up yer pants - but really, the paint is knackered - see the photos. Bear in mind most of the build is second hand from my last bike, only the frame and forks are new. Every mark you think is a scratch IS a scratch. What did Yeti use for paint, chocolate?

I've put a bit of 'copter tape on, but to be honest, it's pointless. Thank god it rides so well, otherwise I'd be gutted. Anyone else having similar problems?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB-66 Build thread-sdc10688.jpg  

Yeti SB-66 Build thread-sdc10691.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sorry to hear that, but every bike I've had that was
    painted will scratch easy. I like my al frames to have
    a anodized finish. If it is a carbon frame leave it alone
    or just clear coat it. A anodize finish on al seems to
    hold up better than any other type of finish. At least
    now you can just ride it and not have to worry if it
    gets scratched.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Yep mine has some scratches already too not even sure what from I haven't crashed or hit anything yet. I started putting copter tape on it and gave up.

My old bike was anno'd and held up real well.

Whatever adds to the flavor!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Paint quality

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Sorry to hear that, but every bike I've had that was
    painted will scratch easy. I like my al frames to have
    a anodized finish. If it is a carbon frame leave it alone
    or just clear coat it. A anodize finish on al seems to
    hold up better than any other type of finish. At least
    now you can just ride it and not have to worry if it
    gets scratched.

Best, John
    Thanks for the moral support, John, I agree about anodising - all my other bikes have been anodised, and this is my first non-roadie painted frame. I can't fault the bike, and the rest of the build quality is spot on - hopefully Yeti will provide an anodised option in the future.

-Z-
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Medium XT Race build. 27.7lbs w/ pedals and tubes. First ride tonight, on a long climb I blew past some dork wearing a full kit and then cleared a few 15ft table tops some five minutes later. I think that pretty much sums the bike up. Well done Yeti!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB-66 Build thread-sb66.jpg  

I am Specialized
    Hey Yeti Tribesmen, can you please confirm if the SB-66 has ISCG05 tabs or not?

In some websites i.e. Tested: Yeti SB-66 Switch Suspension | Bicycling Magazine or First Ride: Yeti SB-66, The Super Bike - Features - Vital MTB ,they say it does.

From various photos here in this forum I cannot tell whether the chain-guides used are BB or ISCG05 mounted. On the yeti page though on the second video (SB-66 5/9) it clearly shows a SB-66 raw frame assembled where the ISCG05 tabs are permanent (i.e. non-removable), so what is it really?
    Does it have ISCG05 tabs or not? Removable or permanently fixed to the frame?
    If removable ISCG05 tabs, do they come with the frame or have to be ordered in addition, separately?
    I need to know if I can run my Straitline Silent guide which is ISCG05, before pulling the trigger on this.
    Sorry for the long post, just needed to make it clear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tp806 View Post
    Hey Yeti Tribesmen, can you please confirm if the SB-66 has ISCG05 tabs or not?

In some websites i.e. Tested: Yeti SB-66 Switch Suspension | Bicycling Magazine or First Ride: Yeti SB-66, The Super Bike - Features - Vital MTB ,they say it does.

From various photos here in this forum I cannot tell whether the chain-guides used are BB or ISCG05 mounted. On the yeti page though on the second video (SB-66 5/9) it clearly shows a SB-66 raw frame assembled where the ISCG05 tabs are permanent (i.e. non-removable), so what is it really?
    Does it have ISCG05 tabs or not? Removable or permanently fixed to the frame?
    If removable ISCG05 tabs, do they come with the frame or have to be ordered in addition, separately?
    I need to know if I can run my Straitline Silent guide which is ISCG05, before pulling the trigger on this.
    Sorry for the long post, just needed to make it clear.
    This thread should answer your question
    ISCG mounts please!

aka...appBLING72

Lime Medium SB66

Got my SB Tuesday, got it built up that night and was able to squeeze in a quick ride Wednesday later afternoon. Wow!!! I heard it pedaled great, but it's hard to believe the hype till you are on it. Amazing. I'm still playing with my suspension settings to get that dialed, but so far the things I've noticed are:

1. shoots out of corners
    2. Doesn't wallow in the mid travel through turns
    3. Feels sturday as heck, very stiff
    4. Makes great use of the travel-doesn't blow through on a G-out
    5. low center of gravity feels very stable in corners
    6. Top Tube with a 50mm stem(5'11" my height) is great!
    7. Aesthetics are top notch
    8. tons of tire clearance

Build Spec:

Medium Lime SB66
    12 Fox 36 VAN RC2 Kashima 160mm
    12 Fox RP23 Kashima (may try a coil Fox or Avy too)
    Cane Creek 110 Inset headset
    Thomson 50mm Elite 31.8 stem
    Easton HAven Carbon bars 28" lo rise
    ODI ruffian lock on grips
    Hope Mono M4 Special Edition (Black) Brakes Floating rotor 160mm rear - 183mm frt
    Rockshox Reverb Seatpost
    WTB Silverado Ti seat
    Thomson 35.0mm seat collar
    SRAM XO 170 Carbon Cranks (1x10 setup)
    Homebrewed Components custom XO spider 32T chainring( arrives 9-2-11
    Chris King GPX BB
    MRP Mini G2 Lopes Guide
    Crank Bros 2012 Candy 3 pedals
    SRAM XO shifter
    SRAM XO med cage rear der
    SRAM PC 1091 chain
    Shimano 142 x 12 Axle kit
    Stans Flow rims laced to Hadley Hubs 142x12, 110x20, 14g spokes, Titanium Cassette
    Conti Mountain King 2 Tires - 2.4 Protection series

So, that's the build for now. I'm putting the finishing tweaks on tonight
    - Frameskin custom film protectant kit for SB66
    - Cable shortening and fit
    - Suspension tweaks

I'll get a ton of ride time in this weekend and report back next week.

Here are the pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yeti SB-66 Build thread-sb1.jpg  

Yeti SB-66 Build thread-sb7.jpg  

Yeti SB-66 Build thread-sb9.jpg  

Yeti SB-66 Build thread-sb8.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    sick setup! I just picked up my turquoise medium yesterday. I'm also planning on running a coil fork up front. Slightly off topic question, but is the Hadley you have on there a new model? I have several 10x135's but wasn't sure if Hadley would come out with a conversion to 12x142.

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by Z2adambomb View Post
    sick setup! I just picked up my turquoise medium yesterday. I'm also planning on running a coil fork up front. Slightly off topic question, but is the Hadley you have on there a new model? I have several 10x135's but wasn't sure if Hadley would come out with a conversion to 12x142.
    The wheelset is only 2 mths old. It's not a conversion. Hadley makes that now. Coil is the way to go!! Either gonna try the Aalanche chubby or pushed Fox Rc4

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Here's mine right after I picked it up on Tuesday! I unfortunately don't like the Miami Dolphins at all, so my beloved custom valved Z1 may have its days numbered on the SB.

I took the frame apart next for weights, checking out the axle path, travel measurements etc. I'll post more once the pics are uploaded.
    Frame weight with CC40 cups installed: 3140g, which is about 6.92lbs
    Frame weight with shock, hardware, full CC40 headset, SP collar was about 7lb 10oz
    Interesting note on travel arc. I measured the axle center from full extension to max compression (no shock) and resulted in a 176mm stroke. Granted this number is certainly restricted by shock stroke once assembled. I'll make a similar measurement on the complete bike once it's built up.

mtbr member
    Sweet bike aappling72!

That yellow/black is sick.

I just got my new fat kid spring for my DHX RC4 today so should be able to dial mine in better this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Question for the guys that have an SB-66, how does it climb steep sections with switchbacks? Just wondering with the slackness of the HA how well it actually can do that? Trying to figure out if I want to get an SB-66

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonKiwi View Post
    Question for the guys that have an SB-66, how does it climb steep sections with switchbacks? Just wondering with the slackness of the HA how well it actually can do that? Trying to figure out if I want to get an SB-66
    I'm about to go on my first ride with mine. This was one of my only concerns with it as well. I have a 150mm Z1 RC2 on the front and the head angle, while slack, does not feel raked out IMO. The Z1's ETA drops it quite a bit and in the lowered position, the head angle was much tighter (like XC level). You always have the option of running an Angleset, or one option I'll consider when I get a 36 is run it at 150mm. I'll report back after doing some climbing with the 150mm Z1 on there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

anyone looking for a small, a black one just went up on ebay below MSRP.

mtbr member
    Mine is pretty squirmy with the 36 float. But there isn't very much steep switchbacks around where I ride so I deal with it. Plus I don't care, I only care how fast I can go back down

A talas would probably solve it.
    Last edited by KTMDirtFace; 09-03-2011 at 01:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonKiwi View Post
    Tried today.not a problem with a float 150 up front. I still keep clearing climbs that used to be difficult.

I'm coming to the conclusion that running propedal 1 lets me pump the trail a bit more and doesn't detract from the general characteristics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Tried today.not a problem with a float 150 up front. I still keep clearing climbs that used to be difficult.

I'm coming to the conclusion that running propedal 1 lets me pump the trail a bit more and doesn't detract from the general characteristics.

Thanks for the useful information, I am probably going to push the trigger on a sb-66 here very shortly. Always wanted a yeti and almost bought a 575 back in May. Glad i waited

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast